Photo

Stirling Moss - 'Cash in the Celebrity Attic'

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 16:05

A somewhat late 'heads-up' that Stirling Moss is scheduled to appear on 'Cash in the Celebrity Attic' on UK TV BBC2 at 4.30pm today

Advertisement

#2 john aston

john aston

• 2,682 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 17:07

Am I the only one who finds the relentless self publicity of SM tiresome in the extreme? Will we get the usual 'so we fired up the maser and went crumpet hunting' schtick ?

#3 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 17:14

£3000..... you could see him holding back the tears........... :rotfl:

#4 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 17:18

Thanks for drawing attention to this, but I have to say there was little about it to interest the motor racing enthusiast (and nothing that would have upset John Aston, I'd say!).
Only two lots were in any way relevant to us and TNF, one being a modern (and Japanese) Mille Miglia givaway holdall that went for £300 and his and hers modern racing overalls that they's both grown out of which went for £1050 I think.
They did make over £3000 for their charity, so that's o.k.

#5 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 17:55

Am I the only one who finds the relentless self publicity of SM tiresome in the extreme? Will we get the usual 'so we fired up the maser and went crumpet hunting' schtick ?

And your precise contribution to the enjoyment of millions is......................

#6 john aston

john aston

• 2,682 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 18:43

I bow to few in my admiration of SM the driver but I am not so blinded by the man's genius that I worry about making a comment which isn't adulatory. Does the fact that he has given enjoyment to millions make him beyond criticism then ?

Oh well , serves me right for daring to criticise a sacred cow...

#7 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,576 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 18:51

And your precise contribution to the enjoyment of millions is......................

I was going to comment Ooooh!!

But in the light of John's later post, I'll change that to Moooo!!

#8 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 19:05

Certainly over the years, Stirling has made himself very accessible as seen her recently at Autosport International....

Posted Image
By giraffe138, shot with DSC-W215 at 2010-01-17

....and at countless other venues in recent times, but IMHO he has lost neither aura nor credibility for doing so. He is the past master of saying absolutely nothing and giving it gravitas, as well demonstrated in the programme! You can have a word with him and he thinks about how he answers you, even over a quick autograph, something that many drivers seem incapable of.
Stirling is a living legend and a link with a bygone age that we should treasure whilst we are lucky enough to have him.

Edited by Giraffe, 15 February 2010 - 19:07.

#9 The Oracle

The Oracle

• 104 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 22:48

Agreed. Sir Stirling is a very approachable person one I was lucky to meet at ASI this year. I heard a fantastic story about him from a few years ago at a wet donington park Grand Prix live (I think) event. From what I remember he was booked to drive demo laps in a classic race car along with several other former drivers but weather and a poor turn out really shortend the action. Apparently Sir Stirling took about 80-100 cold,wet disrupted and out of pocket fans,marshalls and stall holders out for a meal at a nearby restyrant all at his own expense. Not his fault the weather was bad or the stall holders out of pocket because of low turn out but wanted to do somthing for those who had made the effort to attend.

#10 ronmac

ronmac

• 826 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 22:42

:rotfl: RE Post Nmber 8..I wonder what he (in the foreground ) is saying .,,using mental telepathy ,, to the woman on the other side of the room ?? and what is she replying ??

#11 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:57

He's at Theatre Royal Bury St Edmunds this Sunday with cars.

Call CARS UK at Chedborough ,Suffolk.if you need details and ticket.

OLd boy,prang, harry flatters,-bet he uses the lot!

#12 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:45

He's at Theatre Royal Bury St Edmunds this Sunday with cars.
Call CARS UK at Chedborough ,Suffolk.if you need details and ticket.

http://www.stirlingm...-bury-stedmunds