Photo

Watch anywhere Live F1 on your laptop

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 20:51

This will be probably just a short thread, but I didn't know where else to stuff my question.

Did you ever get stuck at the airport, late night office, or just simply without access to TV? Imagine, all what you have is your laptop, Live timing with written comments on The Official F1 site, but no video, and you frown on Y-Tube feed. So, what now? Last year I found (I think British) WatchLive F1 feed. Would anyone have related recommendation helpful to a stranded trekker?

Thanks

Advertisement

#2 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 20:56

Unfortunately I don't think this is going anywhere. Seeing as we can't even get regular races in HD I don't see any hope for live race streams. I was in the same boat last year at college (no SpeedTV) and had to resort to...other means. As far as I know there isn't any real live streams available, almost certainly due to Mr. Eccelstone.

Yes, it sucks.

Edited by T-Mobile, 15 February 2010 - 20:56.

#3 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,677 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 20:58

Isn't it up to the national TV-station that has the TV rights to decide whether or not to put a stream online? I know RTL streamed the race in Germany, and unless I am not mistaken BBC did the same for the UK.

#4 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 21:00

I have not got a clue on where to look for. Looking forward to hear some news.

#5 Bouncing Pink Ball

Bouncing Pink Ball

• 758 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 21:00

Looking for same...

There's some discussion of the problem here.

#6 Showty

Showty

• 2,181 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 21:02

Isn't it up to the national TV-station that has the TV rights to decide whether or not to put a stream online? I know RTL streamed the race in Germany, and unless I am not mistaken BBC did the same for the UK.

Here in Spain u can watch every session on the internet, race included, thanks to La Sexta.

The gud thing is that TVE (the national tv) started to do the same with the sports they broadcast.

#7 hulmerist

hulmerist

• 1,026 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 21:09

bbc streamed all the races last year i think

so if you can fake a uk ip using a proxy or something you should be able to watch it, i'm sure a google search will yield some results

#8 Pharazon

Pharazon

• 1,156 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 21:12

slingbox is the answer..

connect it to your tv system and you can stream it to your laptop anywhere with a broadband connection

#9 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,872 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 21:12

In my experience proxies are far too slow to handle any kind of meaningful stream.

#10 offshore

offshore

• 4 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:29

slingbox is the answer..

connect it to your tv system and you can stream it to your laptop anywhere with a broadband connection

x2. Slingbox lets you watch your home TV on your laptop or blackberry. Pretty cool stuff.

#11 shanser

shanser

• 240 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:50

which channel in USA showcases F1???
plannin to do my masters there from fall 2010... so just curious

#12 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,872 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:21

Speed Channel. You won't be impressed. :(

#13 Supersleeper

Supersleeper

• 1,441 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:25

Would anyone have related recommendation helpful to a stranded trekker?

Yes. :up:

PM

#14 shanser

shanser

• 240 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 13:12

Speed Channel. You won't be impressed. :(

is it that bad?
ill most probabily be doing master in california(USC) pittsburgh or NYU-poly.....
i really hope that ill be able to follow F1

#15 corf

corf

• 267 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 14:19

A uk shell account with tcpip forwarding enabled or a decicated vpn connection would allow access to bbc streams - would cost a couple of quid a month. At some point I guess the provider may be at risk of being blacklisted by the bbc.

Edited by corf, 16 February 2010 - 14:20.

#16 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 14:56

x2. Slingbox lets you watch your home TV on your laptop or blackberry. Pretty cool stuff.

...or iPhone.

#17 Kooper

Kooper

• 2,189 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 15:19

is it that bad?
ill most probabily be doing master in california(USC) pittsburgh or NYU-poly.....
i really hope that ill be able to follow F1

The worst thing about speed is you''ll see about the same amount of commercials as racing. The number of commercial breaks is atrocious, makes it hard to stay in the rhythm of a race.

#18 Hypnotise

Hypnotise

• 1,245 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 15:22

I use filmon HDI player it works great I have watched every race there fantastic (uses BBC)

#19 Turbo4

Turbo4

• 680 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 15:29

surely someone here is willing to setup and host a private stream? just send a single mass pm to all of us that dont have access to practice.;) Hell, i'll even kick in a few bucks for the privilege.

justintv was good last year, you just had to keep looking sometimes, and occasionally settle for chinese commentary.

Wake the **** up Bernie, there's money to be made here if the local networks wont broadcast the lot of it. I'd pay you $50 a year to get a decent legal stream happening, even without commentary.

Edited by Turbo4, 16 February 2010 - 15:30.

Advertisement

#20 Talryyn

Talryyn

• 839 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 15:33

surely someone here is willing to setup and host a private stream? just send a single mass pm to all of us that dont have access to practice.;) Hell, i'll even kick in a few bucks for the privilege.

justintv was good last year, you just had to keep looking sometimes, and occasionally settle for chinese commentary.

Wake the **** up Bernie, there's money to be made here if the local networks wont broadcast the lot of it. I'd pay you $50 a year to get a decent legal stream happening, even without commentary.

If you watch the Speed forums before a race, someone usually posts a link before the mods delete it, for the simple fact that Speed does not cover all the practice sessions.

I hit reply to the wrong person, but there is your answer above my post. I do agree, I would cancel my cable since everything else I watch is over the antenna for free (or on Hulu/Netflix in HD of sorts), and pay for a nice HD feed of the races and sessions. If F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport, should we not get HD on paid TV, and also have the option of paying for a subscription to watch over the internet in HD.

Edited by Talryyn, 16 February 2010 - 15:37.

#21 Turbo4

Turbo4

• 680 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 15:55

I use filmon HDI player it works great I have watched every race there fantastic (uses BBC)

practice sessions too? i'm interested in that service, i'm amazed it hasn't been shut down!

#22 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 15:59

Just a reminder for you all to please stick with discussing legal methods of getting a stream. Slingbox fits that category, as does iPlayer and comparable services.

#23 dutra

dutra

• 1,194 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:08

At least here in Brazil we're getting close to see F1 live(at least Qual and Race) anywere thanks to FTA Digital Television. You just have to buy a 1-seg USB receiver(around 50 euros) and you'll get the broadcast in a pretty good resolution. I heard that some places in Europe you have to pay to get mobile DTV. Is that right?