Photo

Formula D/Formula Dé

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GT Racing Online Magazine

GT Racing Online Magazine

• 832 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 13:09

I may come across as terribly old school, while I dislike GP simulations on Xbox and PCs, I've found the boardgame Formula D and its predecessor Formula Dé terribly fun and addictive - while not being simulations as such. We play it regularly with some F1 enthusiasts.

Posted Image Posted Image
Image under creative commons

Has anyone here tried it? If not I can recommend it for everyone and anyone - we've come a long way since Monopoly in terms of boardgames.

Advertisement

#2 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,935 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 16:07

Played a lot of Formule Dé. Had a nice little league going every second sunday, teams, etc. even painted lead miniature cars to use instead of the plastic ones. -- Anyway, I hear it's been re-edited, dunno if it's still Eurogames doing it though.

If you want to practice for qualifying (y'know, roll fast, count fast, choose fast...) on tracks you don't own, there used to be a Formula Dice online somewhere.. I'll try to find it when I'm back from the job.

I still like PC Simulations though ;)

Edited by MaxScelerate, 16 February 2010 - 16:07.

#3 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 17:39

I know it sounds bad but...

That looks amazing :blush:

#4 Paolo

Paolo

• 1,677 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 15:39

Played my brains out with Avalon Hill's "Speed Circuit", which is the smart version of Formula De: cars don't move by throwing dices but based on a performance charts.

#5 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,935 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 16:46

Played my brains out with Avalon Hill's "Speed Circuit", which is the smart version of Formula De: cars don't move by throwing dices but based on a performance charts.

Try to get your girlfriend, sister or motorsport-challenged friends to play Speed Circuit (or, Heck!, ANY Avalon Hill game... Advanced Squad Leader anyone?).. :p Great game, though, but I prefer my Formula Dé. :D

#6 Paolo

Paolo

• 1,677 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:46

Try to get your girlfriend, sister or motorsport-challenged friends to play Speed Circuit (or, Heck!, ANY Avalon Hill game... Advanced Squad Leader anyone?).. :p Great game, though, but I prefer my Formula Dé. :D

Played it with multiple girlfriend(s), no problem once they get the hang of it.
The secret is to explain the rules instead of asking to read them, and have them perform a supervised lap to sort things out.