- - - - -

OK, have GPL disk, now, I need to make it work

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 rattymouse

rattymouse

• 530 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:22

Got my hands on a bonafide GPL disk and am totally excited to race again! However, I am having major problems. Here is the situation. I installed it onto a Dell Latitude E6400 w/ 2 gigs RAM and running XP Pro.

First attempt to run the game showed massive screen flickering on the opening screen. Going forward into the menus showed that the flickering was here to stay. Totally unplayable, heck, even unreadable with such massive flickering.

Searching the web showed one solution was to download a demo version of GPL from (going from memory here) Black Rock? That version of GPL ran without flickering, however, only 25% of the screen was used! The graphics were not scaled to this size meaning that out of a full screen, only 25% was showing; the rest being black.

So I am at a loss with what to do in order to get GPL running on my windows machine.

I also have a Mac, which is where I wanted to run GPL until I remembered my windows work machine.

Can anyone point me to a resource that can help get me up and running with GPL? I do not understand what is wrong here and need some technical help in order to get racing.

Thank you very much for your help!

Advertisement

#2 Snap Matt

Snap Matt

• 1,157 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 13:28

Have you tried the Installer?
http://gplps.org/wb/...l-installer.php

#3 rattymouse

rattymouse

• 530 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 23:30

Have you tried the Installer?
http://gplps.org/wb/...l-installer.php

No I have not and it may be exactly what I need. Thank you very much. I will let you know how it goes.

#4 rattymouse

rattymouse

• 530 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:49

No I have not and it may be exactly what I need. Thank you very much. I will let you know how it goes.

OK, I have run this installer and can report some progress. Things are still not right but they are definately better. Now, I have about 75% of the screen visible, with only the right 25% of the screen not displaying.

Also, for some reason I cannot assign a keyboard control for the very first entry (steering right I believe). It will always remain unassigned. Does anyone know a way around that?

I would also appreciate any tips that can get my screen to fully display the video properly.

I am ALMOST there! Thank you so much for your help.

#5 Snap Matt

Snap Matt

• 1,157 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:01

Doesn't GPL prevent you from using keys to steer? I had to dig my old wheel out from the garage to play the game.

Sorry I can't help on the video thing either... I guess everyone will just say check all your drivers are up to date. I installed it last year and was lucky enough that it just worked out of the box (with the installer). There is a lot of technical advice out there if you google GPL, but I've not had to rely on any yet.

#6 rattymouse

rattymouse

• 530 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:21

Doesn't GPL prevent you from using keys to steer? I had to dig my old wheel out from the garage to play the game.

Sorry I can't help on the video thing either... I guess everyone will just say check all your drivers are up to date. I installed it last year and was lucky enough that it just worked out of the box (with the installer). There is a lot of technical advice out there if you google GPL, but I've not had to rely on any yet.

I installed GPL on a brand new computer. It is hard for me to understand how my drivers can be out of date for such old software. I will start searching but I do hope someone here can help me. I am way out of my element for this.

#7 A3

A3

• 32,100 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:26

I have had the same problem a couple of years ago. Turned out my drivers were too new for the game. Older drivers I found using google did the trick, so maybe this helps.

#8 rattymouse

rattymouse

• 530 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:14

I have had the same problem a couple of years ago. Turned out my drivers were too new for the game. Older drivers I found using google did the trick, so maybe this helps.

But doesnt downgrading your drivers mess up all your modern software?

#9 A3

A3

• 32,100 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:19

It didn't with my system. Give it a try, you can always change drivers. Which videocard does your Dell have?

#10 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 15:57

Quite incredible, Windows. I installed GP Legends about three times, and it never worked. Then I installed it on my Apple Computer (with Bootcamp). It works fine now...

The problem with Windows is not that Bill Gates is evil or something. The basic concept behind the browser-steered software is just plain wrong. And it shows with old games like Legends that should work like fireworks because for modern computers they should be easy to run.

Succes buddy!

#11 rattymouse

rattymouse

• 530 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 23:16

Quite incredible, Windows. I installed GP Legends about three times, and it never worked. Then I installed it on my Apple Computer (with Bootcamp). It works fine now...

The problem with Windows is not that Bill Gates is evil or something. The basic concept behind the browser-steered software is just plain wrong. And it shows with old games like Legends that should work like fireworks because for modern computers they should be easy to run.

Succes buddy!

I have a Mac but would rather not pollute it with a copy of windows on it. But I may have to go that route to get GPL working. The Mac's screen is much better too. Now I have to find a copy of windows.

Or maybe use WINE? Or is that a huge bag of worms too?

#12 rattymouse

rattymouse

• 530 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 23:18

It didn't with my system. Give it a try, you can always change drivers. Which videocard does your Dell have?

I believe that I have an NVIDIA 9400M. (I'm on my mac now). Is there a list of drivers that work with GPL that I can check with?

#13 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,931 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 23:51

See if this may help, (rasterizer v2) I don't think the gpl installer installs them just yet (or does it?)

http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=3727

#14 rattymouse

rattymouse

• 530 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 00:39

See if this may help, (rasterizer v2) I don't think the gpl installer installs them just yet (or does it?)

http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=3727

Wow! Looks very promising from the description! **THANK YOU** I'll try it and report back.

#15 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:54

I have a Mac but would rather not pollute it with a copy of windows on it. But I may have to go that route to get GPL working. The Mac's screen is much better too. Now I have to find a copy of windows.

Or maybe use WINE? Or is that a huge bag of worms too?

Wine is hard to work with, I have heard. But I would advise you to pollute your Mac with Windows, especially if you have an auxiliarry harddisk-drive. You can use that for exchanging stuff between Windows and Apple. I promise you: your Apple won't run any slower because Windows is on it. The Mac reserves a portion of the harddrive for the Windows-stuff (you can decide yourself how much GB it will be), for the rest you won't even notice it's there. I was very skeptical before I did it, but now I can run both GP Legends and rFactor (the 79 mod!) with no problems at all. (Driving the Ferrari T3 now... what a beast!)

#16 babbel

babbel

• 2,746 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:00

Also, for some reason I cannot assign a keyboard control for the very first entry (steering right I believe). It will always remain unassigned. Does anyone know a way around that?

You need to hack your config.cfg for that, it's not hard. I once made a tool for it but I don't know if it still works or available for download on any site (it's 12 years old...) :)

#17 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,931 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 16:11

You need to hack your config.cfg for that, it's not hard. I once made a tool for it but I don't know if it still works or available for download on any site (it's 12 years old...) :)

Was that GPLKeys or GPLKeyMaster?
http://srmz.net/inde...amp;#entry29975

#18 babbel

babbel

• 2,746 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 18:22

Was that GPLKeys or GPLKeyMaster?
http://srmz.net/inde...amp;#entry29975

Neither heh :)

#19 Souffle

Souffle

• 55 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 18:21

I would also appreciate any tips that can get my screen to fully display the video properly.

Hi, In GPL folder is a 'Core" .ini file. Scroll to 'DirectMirrorRender' and uncheck it if checked or vice-versa. I've made a help request for your controls config. and it should be along shortly. Hang in there.

Edited by Souffle, 27 February 2010 - 18:22.

Advertisement

#20 simpson

simpson

• 163 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 21:39

For many answers to GPL's issues, check out http://wiki.grandpri...eshooting_guide

If you install GPL and it doesn't run, it's often due to the folder indexing. In Windows Explorer, right click on c:\ > properties and make sure that Allow indexing is checked.

A better place to ask questions, and there always are with GPL, is at the SimRacing Mirror Zone at http://srmz.net/index.php?act=idx

#21 rattymouse

rattymouse

• 530 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:27

Success!!! I have GPL up and running on my Dell laptop now. The screen is fully displaying now and the game plays. Since I have not yet bought a control, I cannot comment completely on the program yet but it now is at a point where I can test it further. Not sure if the sound is totally there. It appears to have some white noise behind the main sounds. Nothing terrible, but it is noticeable.

Many, MANY, **MANY** thanks to the folks here who helped me out!

On another note, it sure looks different from way back then. There have been many mods to the game that have changed the appearance in many areas. Very interesting.

#22 A3

A3

• 32,100 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 15:09

So what did the trick?

#23 rattymouse

rattymouse

• 530 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 00:43

So what did the trick?

The installer recommended above in this thread along with the updated rasterizer (whatever that is). Those two together got GPL working on my XP Pro SP 3 laptop.

#24 DonOctavioDelFlores

DonOctavioDelFlores

• 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:58

To fix the sound you need to disable "audio acceleration" (or something like that) .

#25 Souffle

Souffle

• 55 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 19:44

...or reduce 'audio acceleration' a click or two.

#26 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:38

Having not been "driving" GPL for a while (probably 3 years or so), and getting a new computer this winter, i finally got around to installing it with the installer...

It is now up and running in 1920x1080 with 60fps (not tried the most cpu/gfx intensive tracks yet), but one thing still isn't quite working... the pribluda (sp?) doesn't show, and i fear trying to "reinstall" it myself probably made things worse :p  Probably will have remove the pribluda completely and reinstall it yet again (problem being that it doesn't show up when driving the game)..

Still.. did a few laps around monza (needed a fairly straight forward track to re-familiarize me with the game, and the second lap was a 1.30.7x, a bit surprising, as i feared it would be fare worse (my pb is 1.27.7something). Also, GPL felt surprisingly good, even after GTR1/2, IRacing and other newer sims, and the gfx are ok with the updates. The enginesound, even though it is glorious, seems to be a bit low quality sample compared to the modern sims though.

#27 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 21:13

down to a 1.30.2xx at monza, but spinns half the laps :p not done that many laps, but its fascinating how much fun GPL still is... Also did a few laps of iracing which feels different, but gpl feels pretty good, even though the cars feel a bit weightless compared to the cars in iracing (even considering how light the 1967 lotus was :p )

#28 racerbaz

racerbaz

• 78 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:20

Got my hands on a bonafide GPL disk and am totally excited to race again! However, I am having major problems. Here is the situation. I installed it onto a Dell Latitude E6400 w/ 2 gigs RAM and running XP Pro.

First attempt to run the game showed massive screen flickering on the opening screen. Going forward into the menus showed that the flickering was here to stay. Totally unplayable, heck, even unreadable with such massive flickering.

Searching the web showed one solution was to download a demo version of GPL from (going from memory here) Black Rock? That version of GPL ran without flickering, however, only 25% of the screen was used! The graphics were not scaled to this size meaning that out of a full screen, only 25% was showing; the rest being black.

So I am at a loss with what to do in order to get GPL running on my windows machine.

I also have a Mac, which is where I wanted to run GPL until I remembered my windows work machine.

Can anyone point me to a resource that can help get me up and running with GPL? I do not understand what is wrong here and need some technical help in order to get racing.

Thank you very much for your help!

Try these ! !

Grand Prix Legends Websites.

http://www.sold-out.co.uk
Buy a Grand Prix Legends CD for £4.99 inclusive of postage.
Try Amazon.co.uk for prices from £1.80 and less !
Install on your PC with the basic 1967 season tracks and cars which are tricky and skittish
To drive.
Grand Prix Legends Preservation Society http://gplps.org http://gplps.org/wb/...r-downloads.php
Download for free the GPL All-In-One Installer which uses the original GPL disc to re-install a Version 2 range of updates to tracks and cars, which allows much better driving control and the possibility of adding new tracks, cars and a range of free add-ons.
GPL Ultimate Links
http://gpllinks.org/ Every relevant GPL link to sites supplying Free Upgrades to the game and tracks. It also has sets of 1965,1966 and 1969 and Thundercar/CART cars and now a 1967 Sports Car Mod to add to the original 1967 Grand Prix cars all as Free Downloads.
Download GPL Setup Manager to improve car settings.
Download GPL Replay Analyser to analyse recorded laps for improvement.
Download Pribluda to have on-screen tyre-temps, lap-times,split-times and race-positions.
The GPL Alternative Track Database
http://gpltd.bcsims.com/ The Alternative GPL Track Database which has 550 Historic and Current tracks as Free Downloads which also include some Rain and Night versions. If you want to you can also add fog. The 1967 seasons circuits were full of character with the terrifyingly original old Spa, un-chicaned Monza & Silverstone, Kyalami, Mexico City, Mosport, Watkins Glen, Zandvoort, Monaco and the legendary old Nurburgring Nordscheife. The designers have included the superb Rouen Les Essarts in an intelligent substitution for the Le Mans Bugatti circuit of the real 1967 season ! Can you believe that the latest free downloadable track to mark GPL's 10th anniversary is the wonderful 45 mile Targa Florio no less ! You can also find accurate depictions of Aintree, Avus, Bathurst, Birmingham, Brands, Bremergarten, Brooklands, Brno (old & new), Clermont Ferrand, Dundrod, Elkart Lake, Goodwood, Indianapolis, Isle-of-Man TT yes 37 miles long !, Le Mans, Lulsgate, Mellaha, Monaco, Monjuich Park, Monsanto, Monthlery, Opporto, Pau, Pescara, Reims, Sebring, Sempione Park, Solitude, Spa (old & new), Syracuse, Valentino Park, Watkins Glen (all versions!) and Zandvoort amongst many others.

#29 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,417 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 18:52

It is also possible to run all the mods on the demo! I know because I've done it. All that you miss are the original tracks but you can find similar ones online anyway.

#30 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,544 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:14

I haven't been able to play Legends for several years. I have now downloaded and installed the installation assistant listed above. It SEEMS to be o.k. but now I'm being told that my wheel and pedals are cannot be installed on a computer that is running XP.

Will I be able to fix this problem or do I have to fork out for a new wheel?

I should add that my wheel is a Thrustmaster but when I insert the installation c.d. my computer says it's a Guillemot wheel. I guess the two must be the same. I have searched for XP drivers for my wheel but without success.

Edited by Barry Boor, 16 July 2012 - 11:36.

#31 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:08

Depends on what particular model your wheel is, but Thrustmaster seem to have XP drivers for the models I checked. Depending how old your wheel is, the drivers on your CD could be outdated.

Here's their download page: http://ts.thrustmast...hp?pg=files_faq

#32 Lutz G

Lutz G

• 369 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:13

I should add that my wheel is a Thrustmaster but when I insert the installation c.d. my computer says it's a Guillemot wheel. I guess the two must be the same. I have searched for XP drivers for my wheel but without success.

What's the exact product name of your Thrustmaster wheel?

#33 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,544 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:31

Thrustmaster Force Feedback Racing Wheel is what it says on the label underneath.

#34 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:57

Thrustmaster Force Feedback Racing Wheel is what it says on the label underneath.

There is a category for that in the site I linked above.

Here's the link for the XP drivers: http://ts.thrustmast...RW_All_3.02.exe

It's probably a pretty old wheel that you got, there is a potential issue in the instructions:

Installation Procedure

1- Remove any previous drivers version.

2- Download the drivers

· Create a central location for all your Thrustmaster accessories related downloads

· Right-Click your DESKTOP and select "NEW" and then "FOLDER"

· Name the folder "Thrustmaster Downloads"

· Click on the hyperlink.

· A "File Download" dialogue box will appear

· Select the "SAVE" button

· A "Save As" window should appear

· Browse to the folder you created

· Select the "SAVE" button

3- Run the installation package and follow the instructions.

Windows 98 SE user might be required to provide their installation CD to complete the installation.

Win XP users may get warned, during the installation process, that the drivers you are trying to install ? have not passed Windows Logo testing?. Do not mind this warning and click ?Continue anyway?.

4- Once installed, you accessory should be visible and functional in Windows Gaming Option/Game Controller.

With the drivers installed, connecting another supported device will automatically install the correct drivers.

Note: Under Windows XP, you will need to disable any network connection to prevent Windows Update to install other drivers that might confuse your system.

#35 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,544 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 15:22

BRILLIANT! I have just driven three laps of Monza in a Lotus 49. Only 1. 34 but at least it works.

Thank you so much Mr. Fastout.

I am hoping that the GEM facility will allow me to run more tracks and 1.5 litre cars. I'll try that tomorrow.

#36 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 15:46

Cool :)

I haven't tried GPL in years, dunno what would happen if I tried to launch it in Windows 7..

iRacing are doing a Lotus 49, that is going to be interesting even though the lack of period tracks will be a pain when driving that car.

#37 simpson

simpson

• 163 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 20:09

With the new installer - http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=7117 - post #5 - and rasterizers that are included, Windows 7 is no problem at all.

Edited by simpson, 18 July 2012 - 20:12.

#38 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,544 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:26

It seems that GEM works with the freshly installed game so I will have to set to and try to improve my rating. I've slipped several hundred places down the list in the time I've been out of the game.

If only I could master the flippin cars with the throttle and brake assist turned off..... :(

#39 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:12

down to a 1.30.2xx at monza, but spinns half the laps :p not done that many laps, but its fascinating how much fun GPL still is... Also did a few laps of iracing which feels different, but gpl feels pretty good, even though the cars feel a bit weightless compared to the cars in iracing (even considering how light the 1967 lotus was :p )

Well... i didn't drive gpl much more with that install, but during the last few days before Christmas, i resurrected an old computer (celeron 2.54ghz with a old nvidia ti4400 gfxcard and a wooping 1gb of ram), that ran windows XP... I installed my old soundblaster soundcard with a gameport, and plugged in my old CH Mach II joystick and then went on to install GPL with the GPL installer to get the updated gfx...

It works mostly great, except for the sound has some jitter, and driving with a joystick vs the wheel brought the memories of many great races way back when GPL was new. I drove with the joystick for quite a many years, and never got the hang of wheel and pedals in GPL, although in most other games i drove with the wheels and pedals back then.

Tonight i was a bit earlier than expected home from the Christmas party, and decided to fire up the Lotus. I drove 5-6 timed laps of Kyalami (best time was 1:22:5) and then 5 timed laps of Watkins Glen (best time was a 1:05:5, pribluda showed a "best sectors time" of 1:04:90) with my old setups. I did crash a few times, and the car control isn't as good as it was, but its funny how after all the time since i last drove GPL with a joystick it felt very natural and fun. Not sure how much i will drive the game, but atleast it was a perfect end to this Christmas day for me :)

Advertisement

#40 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,544 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:47

I feel that I really must get to grips with mine again but my slot car stuff just takes up so much of my time these days and actually my old computer doesn't seem to be terribly keen to run GPL properly, but I don't know why.

#41 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 14:18

I feel that I really must get to grips with mine again but my slot car stuff just takes up so much of my time these days and actually my old computer doesn't seem to be terribly keen to run GPL properly, but I don't know why.

My newest computer ran gpl with my g27 ok after quite a bit of messing about. That was an Amd 6core computer that ran on windows 7. The biggest challenge was getting the resolution, the addon series and just getting my head around how GPL worked again.

On this older computer, i just installed the game with the GPLinstaller utility, and haven't bothered with any mods or addons just yet. It worked without any hassle, although that was on a computer running windowsXP. The good thing about runinng XP is that it still has support for the gameport on my old soundcard, so i can drive with the joystick again :)

#42 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,802 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:36

The new Can Am mod is worth any trouble you may have getting your computer and GPL to "play nice".

#43 JdB

JdB

• 3,418 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 18:35

Hi everyone! I read this thread, and decided to re-install GPL again. The only problem is, i don't have a steering wheel anymore, and i'm not going to buy a cheap one (did that, it made me want to throw out the wheel and the games i played with it). I used to have a Guillemot Ferrari FFB Steeringwheel, and back then it was awesome. A steeringwheel that comes close is over € 200,-, and i'm not going to spend that (now). Can anyone send me, or re-direct me to a tool for adjusting the keyboard-keys? I can reset them to the numbers, but that's hardly ideal.

Thanks in advance.

grtz, Jeroen

Edited by JdB, 30 December 2012 - 18:37.

#44 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 1,068 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 13:56

Hi everyone! I read this thread, and decided to re-install GPL again. The only problem is, i don't have a steering wheel anymore, and i'm not going to buy a cheap one (did that, it made me want to throw out the wheel and the games i played with it). I used to have a Guillemot Ferrari FFB Steeringwheel, and back then it was awesome. A steeringwheel that comes close is over € 200,-, and i'm not going to spend that (now). Can anyone send me, or re-direct me to a tool for adjusting the keyboard-keys? I can reset them to the numbers, but that's hardly ideal.

Thanks in advance.

grtz, Jeroen

I think I've used this when I played it with the keyboard
http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=4128 (you need to be registered on their forums)

but you should seriously consider buying a wheel, even if it's some old logitech momo or something.