Photo

March 2010: Sir Stirling Moss suffers serious accident (merged)

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 BrendanMcF

BrendanMcF

• 542 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:01

On Joe Saward's blog

http://joesaward.wor...r-sir-stirling/

Advertisement

#2 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:13

Yes, I've just heard, I do hope The Boy is going to be OK.

#3 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:17

How awful. Let's hope he makes a full and quick recovery.

#4 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:21

Best wishes Mr Moss, hope you are not suffering too much.

#5 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:31

How the hell could that happen ? Fingers crossed, but it sounds like the lad's already on the way back. A good soldier, if ever there was one.... :clap:

#6 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,577 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:32

Shocking news - I do hope that "The Boy" makes a full recovery although at his 'tender age' I suspect it may be some time before he is back on track.

:eek:

#7 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:17

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/81925[/img]

Three floors is some fall......... wishing you a full and speedy recovery Sir Stirling

PAR

#8 Greatest

Greatest

• 164 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:24

All my very best wishes to Sir Stirling Moss! :up:

#9 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:32

He has had his operation and is being moved out of the ICU this morning. He has had to cancel (hardly surpirisngly) a trip to the US but will be working hard, he says, to get well enough for his 30th wedding anniversary on 17th April when he is due to take Susie on a cruise. For a man who has just fallen 25ft down a lift shaft, he is in remarkably good spirits.

Edited by Mal9444, 08 March 2010 - 11:39.

#10 Gabrci

Gabrci

• 654 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:35

Sounds like a lucky escape... I hope he will recover fully and quickly.

#11 Greatest

Greatest

• 164 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:40

Only a few moments ago I really started to think again about the accident. Even a thought of falling like that gives me the shivers...

#12 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 976 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:57

Heavens! What dreadful news to wake up to. :(

Considering the lofty height of his plunge, I'm surprised that his injury tally isn't far, far more extensive.

SSM has 20 years on me. I slipped on a patch of ice in my driveway just before Christmas, 2009, and will probably never have full use of my right arm again thanks to some detached tendons.

He IS a god afterall...

Best Wishes for a Full & Rapid Recovery, Sir Stirling! :)

#13 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:03

He IS a god afterall...

You might be right! I've had two work-related falls in the last three years, neither from anything like 25', and they were not funny - I still get the occasional flashback of the first. Mind you, I'm twice his weight! All I can do is add my best wishes, and hope for a quick recovery and no complications.

#14 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 14:43

Apologies if this has been replicated esewhere
http://news.bbc.co.u.../uk/8555609.stm

#15 MattKellett

MattKellett

• 71 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 14:44

Dreadful news to read first thing in the morning!

I'm sure with the goal of a cruise with Susie will keep his spirits and determination up for a speedy recovery.

All the best Stirling :up:

Matt

Edited by MattKellett, 08 March 2010 - 14:44.

#16 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,578 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 16:28

Dreadful news to read first thing in the morning!

But just think what the news could have been...

Thank goodness he's survived another accident, probably more freakish than any other he's had.

Doug, I'm sure you have a direct line to Sir Stirling so please pass on all the best wishes of TNFers to our hero for a complete recovery.

Rob :wave:

#17 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 17:02

All I can say is that I wish the great man a swift recovery.

#18 RStock

RStock

• 2,276 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 18:10

Wow ! Sounds like he was lucky it wasn't far worse . Best wishes to Sir Stirling for a full recovery .

#19 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 18:15

All I can say is that I wish the great man a swift recovery.

As do all on TNF of course. Let's hope that The Greatest Living Englishman has a good few more years left to amuse and entertain us.

Advertisement

#20 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 18:21

Only a few moments ago I really started to think again about the accident. Even a thought of falling like that gives me the shivers...

My thoughts exactly. Upon first reading the news this morning it shook me to the core...Sir Stirling is very lucky to still be with us. That's the kind of fall that would kill the ordinary person.

Considering the lofty height of his plunge, I'm surprised that his injury tally isn't far, far more extensive.

SSM has 20 years on me. I slipped on a patch of ice in my driveway just before Christmas, 2009, and will probably never have full use of my right arm again thanks to some detached tendons.

Again, my thoughts. Two years ago I also slipped on ice and fell a few feet off my deck onto the cement driveway. Broke my left shoulder in three places and, like Manfred, will never have full use of it again. Can't raise my arm more than halfway now. I am a good number (in my view!) of years younger than Sir Stirling, so have to think that he will have a long recovery period. But...as we saw after Spa, 1960, he can bounce back faster than the normal bloke.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Sir Stirling

Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 08 March 2010 - 18:22.

#21 VWV

VWV

• 317 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 18:25

Does anyone know if this is the lift that was designed by Patrick Head?

Wishing Stirling a speedy recovery.

#22 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 18:47

Having used that very lift, and knowing what the lift shaft is like, I'm staggered how tough the "old boy" must be!!!!

When Gary C told me this morning, he didn't specify where it had happened, and my first thought was, "I hope it was the one at the Mews, I wouldn't get away with that, let alone someone thirty years my senior".

I bet he'll be driving something up the hill at Goodwood later this year!!!

#23 paulhooft

paulhooft

• 873 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 19:38

Men like Sir Stirling Moss...
Have made the Land of Hope And Glory:
GREAT!

Paul

Edited by paulhooft, 10 March 2010 - 07:30.

#24 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:23

Apparently you can pass on your regards at his website:

http://www.stirlingm...rlings-accident

Vince H.

#25 ken devine

ken devine

• 902 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:42

What terrible news that means we proably wont see him at this years Australian GP.All the best for a speedy recovery Sir Stirling
you have done it before. 7.

#26 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 21:43

The good news is that Stirling's injuries are not life threatening and that his heart and mind (as well as his typing fingers) are as strong as ever.

Stirling sent this email message to his many friends and fans around the world:

TO ALL MY FRIENDS (AND ALL THOSE WHO ARE KIND ENOUGH TO CARE),

DEAR ALL OF YOU,
THE LAST FEW DAYS HAVE BEEN QUITE FANTASTIC AND I'D LIKE TO THANK EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU FOR YOUR KIND THOUGHTS, MESSAGES AND OTHER PARAPHERNALIA.

ON SATURDAY EVENING, I WAS AT HOME WITH SUSIE, ELLIOT AND HELEN AND ABOUT TO LEAVE FOR A CURRY, FOR WHICH WE WERE RUNNING LATE. I ASKED HELEN TO JOIN ME IN THE LIFT TO GO DOWNSTAIRS, BECAUSE SUSIE AND ELLIOT WERE SMART ENOUGH NOT TO RIDE IN MY LIFT. I OPENED THE DOOR AND STEPPED INTO THE LIFT, WITH HELEN READY TO FOLLOW ME, WHICH SHE NEVER DID. THAT IS BECAUSE THE LIFT HAD STOPPED ON THE FLOOR ABOVE AND INCORRECTLY ALLOWED THE DOOR BENEATH IT TO OPEN.

STILL CHATTING TO HELEN, I STEPPED INTO THE OPEN DOORWAY-- AND FELL TO THE BOTTOM OF THE LIFT SHAFT.

THE AMBULANCE WAS CALLED AND ARRIVED AT RACING SPEED, WHEREUPON THEY PUT ME ONTO A SERIES OF ABOUT 10 STRETCHERS! HAVING FINALLY SETTLED ON WHAT MUST HAVE SEEMED A GOOD ONE, I WAS TAKEN, ALONG WITH MY FAMILY TO THE ROYAL LONDON HOSPITAL IN WHITECHAPEL, WHERE THEY USED ANOTHER BATCH OF SIMILAR STRETCHERS!

THEY DID A GOOD JOB OF HELPING ME, BUT WERE UNABLE TO DO THE REQUISITE SURGERY. SO, ON THE SUNDAY, I WAS MOVED TO THE PRINCESS GRACE, WHERE A FANTASTICALLY EFFICIENT, KIND AND AMUSING STAFF DID ALL THE JOBS.

I AM NOW IN A LOVELY ROOM, NUMBER 222, AND WITH THE HELP OF ELLIOT AND THE PORTER, AM FINALLY ON THE EMAIL. THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT I WILL BE ABLE TO ACTUALLY SEND THIS TO YOU, BUT I WILL TRY!

NOW FOR THE FUTURE... WHICH I CAN SEE WITH SUSIE, HELEN AND ELLIOT AROUND ME, IS GOING TO BE A BLOODY STRUGGLE!

AS SOME OF YOU MAY KNOW, SUSIE AND I ARE BOOKED ON A SEABOURN CRUISE FOR OUR 30TH ANNIVERSARY, NEXT MONTH. I HAVE TO CROSS THE HURDLE OF GETTING THE DOCTORS, AND FAMLY HANGERS-ON, TO ALLOW ME TO THIN MY BLOOD, IN ORDER TO AVOID ANY ISSUES INVOLVING DEEP VEIN THROMBOSIS.

IT WILL BE SIX TO EIGHT WEEKS FROM SUNDAY BEFORE I WILL ABLE TO PUT ANY LOAD ON MY FEET. THEREFORE I'M FACING MY SIXTH OR SEVENTH REDUCTION TO A WHEELCHAIR (SUSIE SAYS SHE'S STOPPED COUNTING) WHICH I MUST ADMIT, IS RATHER BORING. THE GOOD NEWS IS; THAT I DIDN'T SELL THE WHEELCHAIR AFTER THE LAST SHUNT!

THE WHOLE THING IS A REAL PAIN IN THE ARSE, IF I HAD LOOKED WHERE I WAS GOING, I WOULDN'T BE HERE AT ALL, SO IT'S MY OWN DAMN FAULT.

I HAVE BEEN ABSOLUTELY OVERWHELMED BY YOUR COLLECTIVE CONCERN AND KINDNESS.

I CAN TELL YOU THAT CURRENTLY I'M LYING IN HOSPITAL, TAKING DEEP BREATHS, LIFTING ONE ARM WITH THE OTHER, RAISING MY LEGS (WITH PLASTERS ON THE END) AND DOING ALL I CAN DO TO KEEP MYSELF AS MOBILE AS POSSIBLE, BUT, HAVING SAID THAT, I'M NOT YET WINNING THE BATTLE.

I'M NOT SURE WHEN I'LL BE ABLE TO GO HOME BUT THE LIFT HAS TO WORK, OTHERWISE I'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO GET UPSTAIRS IN MY WHEELCHAIR, MAYBE I'LL GO AND STAY WITH HELEN AND ELLIOT FOR A WHILE...

THIS REALLY HAS OPENED MY EYES TO HOW KIND ALL MY FRIENDS ARE, OVER AN OLD EX- RACING DRIVER, FLOGGING A FADING IMAGE!

I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU SOON,

MANY THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR THOUGHTS,

CIAO

#27 Jim Armstrong

Jim Armstrong

• 12 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:09

In 1959, when I was 18 and a freshman at the University of California at Riverside, I lived in a residence hall and spent as much time as I could at the nearby Riverside International Raceway.
On the weekdays before races, it was easy (and free) to get into the pits and close to the cars and the drivers.
Stirling Moss, well before his Sir days, was always easy to approach and chat with. I had my picture on the front page of the LA Times sports section between him and Phil Hill, looking almost as if I belonged there.
Within two weeks of the taking of that picture, I was on my way to dinner from my room on the third floor, eschewing as usual the elevator and the stairs, and zipping along down the slick, stainless steel bannister.
I lost my balance, missed trying for a foot catch on the lower rail and down I fell those three stories, landing flat on my back on the concrete below, making this story an eyecatcher.
Just one stretcher and one ambulance took me to the hospital where no damage was found, but leading to a two day stay until I could move again.
Now these 51 years later I want to pass on my best wishes to my "friend" Stirling.

#28 Lotus23

Lotus23

• 1,006 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:48

My sincerest wishes for Sir Stirling's quick and complete recovery.

I remember writing him a letter after his Goodwood Shunt in '62; his secretary (Valerie Pirie) sent me a nice written reply on his behalf.

I've only spoken directly with him once (LeMans '63); he was charming and helpful to me on that occasion.

Edited by Lotus23, 10 March 2010 - 01:54.

#29 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 13:00

What a shocking event. My very best wishes, naturally. More importantly, I'm so very relieved to see from his email that he's clearly chipper.

With due deference to the late Russell Brockbank and Punch, I can't resist this old, old memory of Chapman's upright!

Posted Image

#30 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:36

Sir Stirling has just been interviewed on the BBC's Today programme. He sounded very perky, and hopes to be back on his feet at the beginning of May in preparation for racing the OSCA at Silverstone on 15th May.

Edited by Tim Murray, 31 March 2010 - 07:38.

#31 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:05

Sir Stirling has just been interviewed on the BBC's Today programme. He sounded very perky, and hopes to be back on his feet at the beginning of May in preparation for racing the OSCA at Silverstone on 15th May.

He sounded quite chirpy, even when the interviewer asked if he had ever been as badly injured during his racing career...

#32 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 19:44

...even when the interviewer asked if he had ever been as badly injured during his racing career...

Dear oh dear... :rolleyes: Is the word "research" known by any modern radio or TV person, I wonder?

Edited by cpbell, 01 April 2010 - 19:45.

#33 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 20:13

The interviewer went on to ask Stirling if the incident had made him afraid of lifts. Stirling's response (as best I can remember it): 'Afraid of lifts? No, why should it? The lift wasn't involved - it hadn't arrived!'

#34 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,533 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 22:49

Saw SM and Suzie this afternoon, passed on TNF's best wishes etc and they are both very well aware - and frankly completely overwhelmed - by the sympathy and best wishes expressed by so many, not least by the cabbie who delivered the management and myself to his door.

"That's where Stirlin' Moss lives!" - "Yes that's right, we're going to see him" - "Coo send him best wishes from all the lads, for years we've all seen him so often weavin' around us on his motor bike!".

Suzie has the unenviable task of ensuring that everyone who wrote, e-mailed or faxed them from around the world receives a personal reply, while his lordship is bedbound until at least April 12, but is wiggling his toes, and being rigorously physio terrorised at regular intervals.

I can confirm that he's pretty much as bright and chipper as ever, there's absolutely nothing wrong with his sense of humour and the only other sense he radiates is acute embarrassment for having suffered "such a silly bloody accident - entirely my own silly fault".

He not only looks, acts and sounds incredibly fit for an 80-year old, but for an 80-year old who three weeks ago fell approx. 30 feet straight down a lift shaft he is in simply incredible. I have no doubt there will be ups and downs - no, this isn't a double entendre, neither would I make any allusion to him being caught on the rebound :rolleyes: - and perhaps we saw Stirl on a good afternoon, but his biggest problem while confined to barracks is "just going stir crazy with boredom".

Within a minute of greeting us he was bubbling with enthusiasm for the Porsche RS61 he has just bought, and he literally cannot wait to get out in it, on track.

Above all he and the long-suffering Suzie are both very moved and extremely appreciative of all the good wishes and encouragement offered by so many fellow enthusiasts. My orders were: "Thank them all for me Boy". Thanks fellers.

DCN

#35 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 13:48

Saw SM and Suzie this afternoon, passed on TNF's best wishes etc and they are both very well aware - and frankly completely overwhelmed - by the sympathy and best wishes expressed by so many, not least by the cabbie who delivered the management and myself to his door.

"That's where Stirlin' Moss lives!" - "Yes that's right, we're going to see him" - "Coo send him best wishes from all the lads, for years we've all seen him so often weavin' around us on his motor bike!".

DCN

"Ere, you'll never guess 'oo I 'ad in the back of my cab yesterday, only Doug bleedin' Nye, and 'is good lady wife!"

"Cor, luv a duck, and no mistake eh?"

But enough of the unfunny Dick Van Dyke impressions, I'll be getting complaints from the self-appointed forum police dog.

#36 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 14:23

Good to hear he's on the mend.

Edited by cpbell, 02 April 2010 - 14:24.

#37 RWB

RWB

• 116 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 18:20

It comes as no surprise that the Porsche is reported as chassis number 070. What a hero.

#38 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 22:43

Well, he is definitely getting back to some sort of form!  ;)

http://en.espnf1.com...tory/15453.html

#39 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:21

Well, he is definitely getting back to some sort of form! ;)

http://en.espnf1.com...tory/15453.html

Stirling is probably right

Advertisement

#40 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,488 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:26

Sir Stirling certainly appears to be busy. Those using Twitter may have come across #SirStirlingMossForPM :)

http://twitter.com/StirlingMossCom

#41 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 00:25

Stirling is probably right

I think so :up:

#42 RobertE

RobertE

• 292 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 13:42

I popped in to see him at the end of last week and was amazed and reasssured by what I saw. The man should really be in a medical textbook. He tires easily and is bored. though. T'was ever thus. He reckons he'll be mobile in a month, albeit on wheels.

Remarkable.

#43 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 14:03

Remarkable.

Yes, a well-chosen word, but although almost all on TNF would agree, it appears that it's not a universally held view. I occasionally visit the Autocar forum, this used to be a bit similar to Racing Comments, mostly just bad tempered and ill-informed argument and name-calling, though a new broom has cleaned everything up massively in recent months, so it is possible to have sensible discussions there for almost the first time. They carried a brief story with Sir Stirling's opinion of the Schumacher comeback, all sensible stuff politely expressed, as of course we'd all expect from Sir Stirling, but some of the comments that this attracted are astonishing, they're along the lines of "Who does this Moss character think he is?", and "If he never won the Championship, he can't have been much good, can he?" A few, probably old enough to remember the years when Stirling was unquestionably the best driver in the world, have defended The Great Man, so I stayed out of it, but the comments and sheer ignorance displayed by some contributors will surprise TNF regulars, but maybe one or two of them will join us here eventually, once they've grown up of course.

http://www.autocar.c...ms/t/13276.aspx

#44 RobertE

RobertE

• 292 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 15:34

Yes, I see what you mean, Rob, but what to do? There's little point in contributing to any of that...

#45 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 22:02

There was a brief paparatsic photostory in The Sun (I found it tucked down the back of the seat in a train carriage, you understand... I'd never buy it myself, of course) t'other day of SCM being wheeled in his wheelchair up Shepherd Street, with some fairly predictable Sunesque puns about speed and wheelies. The wheelchair was being pushed by Stirling and Susie's regular occasional handyman, spuriously promoted by the paper to 'Central Heating Engineer' for the occasion. The gent is burly, and has a beard.

There was an invitation to visit The Sun's web blog, for more information and, idlly, I did.

There some know-all had opined: ' I'll think you find that the 'Central heating Engineer' is his life partner...'

Given SCM's well publicised off-track interests (not to mention the no-less well publicised existence of Lady Moss) you'd think...

You gotta larf, aintcha...

It's at http://www.thesun.co...our-wheels.html. Click on Add A Comment for the in-depth insight.

Like RobertE, I didn't bother.

Edited by Mal9444, 30 April 2010 - 22:07.

#46 RStock

RStock

• 2,276 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 22:25

Yes, a well-chosen word, but although almost all on TNF would agree, it appears that it's not a universally held view. I occasionally visit the Autocar forum, this used to be a bit similar to Racing Comments, mostly just bad tempered and ill-informed argument and name-calling, though a new broom has cleaned everything up massively in recent months, so it is possible to have sensible discussions there for almost the first time. They carried a brief story with Sir Stirling's opinion of the Schumacher comeback, all sensible stuff politely expressed, as of course we'd all expect from Sir Stirling, but some of the comments that this attracted are astonishing, they're along the lines of "Who does this Moss character think he is?", and "If he never won the Championship, he can't have been much good, can he?" A few, probably old enough to remember the years when Stirling was unquestionably the best driver in the world, have defended The Great Man, so I stayed out of it, but the comments and sheer ignorance displayed by some contributors will surprise TNF regulars, but maybe one or two of them will join us here eventually, once they've grown up of course.

http://www.autocar.c...ms/t/13276.aspx

I've seen similar comments in other forums . I dismiss these people as airheads , though I have felt compelled to make a few comments attempting to explain how great Sir Stirling was .

I also included this in my sig line at those places -

{Those who do not learn from history , are doomed to say stupid things about it .}

Edited by REDARMYSOJA, 30 April 2010 - 22:26.

#47 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 22:43

There was an invitation to visit The Sun's web blog, for more information and, idlly, I did.

There some know-all had opined: ' I'll think you find that the 'Central heating Engineer' is his life partner...'

"At this point, our TNF reporter made his excuses and left............"

Edited by Giraffe, 30 April 2010 - 22:44.