Photo

F1 2010 by Codemasters screenies / info:

• Please log in to reply
2199 replies to this topic

#101 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,160 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 19:58

Wholeheartedly agree. Its so much worse than GT4 on the PS2 with PS2 controller was for some reason. The analog sticks feel too sensitive like there isnt as much graduation in the steering as their used to be which is strange given the controllers are almost identical. Need to try my G25 with it soon :cool:

yep, the ferrari f2007 is really strange to drive with the analog stick,the steering is poor and you can never judge how much it will turn. the worst experience of it is turn 4 and 5 at fuji speedway :( i would buy a wheel for the ps3 but i have the xbox one already so i dont see the point :/ loving forza anyway :)

Advertisement

#102 David Ricardo

David Ricardo

• 245 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 13:12

When will they get rid of that awful "piss filter"

#103 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,305 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:35

yep, the ferrari f2007 is really strange to drive with the analog stick,the steering is poor and you can never judge how much it will turn. the worst experience of it is turn 4 and 5 at fuji speedway :( i would buy a wheel for the ps3 but i have the xbox one already so i dont see the point :/ loving forza anyway :)

The way Ive found to rectify this is to put steering help onto 'strong' in the control settings pre race. It then feels like GT4 again with the analog pad which is much more controllable with the fast cars.

Sorry to go OT, any announcements on a demo date for F1 2010?

#104 eriknaa

eriknaa

• 34 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 23:38

i think this has a lot of good promises, but it sucks that WE cannot retire with an engine failiure, while the AI can...
cant wait anyhow, its going to be awsome
Forza F1 2010
Forza SCHUMI

#105 pRy

pRy

• 10,878 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:39

Car failures are one of the first things I turn off with any racing game. I just can't see the sense in playing a game, doing well, only to have your car fail on a straight and that's it, all over. In real life it's fine but in a game it just strikes me as a total waste of time. We play games for enjoyment not frustration.

#106 Jay101

Jay101

• 614 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:46

Car failures are one of the first things I turn off with any racing game. I just can't see the sense in playing a game, doing well, only to have your car fail on a straight and that's it, all over. In real life it's fine but in a game it just strikes me as a total waste of time. We play games for enjoyment not frustration.

Me to, in real life it's probably the most gut wrenching thing that can happen when leading a race, why would anyone want to simulate that. Perhaps they will also simulate your girlfriend getting pregnant by your team mate and then dumping you for Flav :lol:

Edited by Jay101, 07 April 2010 - 09:48.

#107 Lights

Lights

• 9,321 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:54

It's called realism. Simracers like that.

And it's not just plain bad luck anyway. If you set your car up well it shouldn't happen.

#108 A3

A3

• 20,509 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:03

An engine or gearbox failure has nothing to do with a good or bad setup....

#109 robracer

robracer

• 1,028 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:09

Car failures are one of the first things I turn off with any racing game. I just can't see the sense in playing a game, doing well, only to have your car fail on a straight and that's it, all over.

I'm the opposite to you, I turn on the car failures with racing games that have that option. Having failures switched off, particularly in F1 games, to me would be boring, because you know that you will definately finish the race if you don't crash, just too predictable. And I think if the AI opponents have car failures then I should also have car failures enabled to make it fair.

#110 Lights

Lights

• 9,321 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:59

An engine or gearbox failure has nothing to do with a good or bad setup....

Air intake/brake ducts/engine boost etc. are part of the setup.

#111 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:19

I hope they have a system where if you get a problem you have to drive around it rather than just automatically retire

#112 A3

A3

• 20,509 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:41

Air intake/brake ducts/engine boost etc. are part of the setup.

Those are just two of the many things that can lead to a mechanical failure. Stating that you won't have mechanical failures if your setup is right is just plain bollocks.

#113 Lights

Lights

• 9,321 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:50

Those are just two of the many things that can lead to a mechanical failure. Stating that you won't have mechanical failures if your setup is right is just plain bollocks.

It's bollocks to say it has nothing to do with it.

Think we just misunderstand each other.

In games like rFactor you can have settings that you will not have random failures like a stuck gearbox, failing hydraulics etc., but do have to manage your engine and brakes. I was referring to it from that point of view. Obviously random failures are lame to have, but others offer another part of realism to races which you can manage and avoid as a part of risk taking.

#114 Jay101

Jay101

• 614 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 16:27

It's bollocks to say it has nothing to do with it.

Think we just misunderstand each other.

In games like rFactor you can have settings that you will not have random failures like a stuck gearbox, failing hydraulics etc., but do have to manage your engine and brakes. I was referring to it from that point of view. Obviously random failures are lame to have, but others offer another part of realism to races which you can manage and avoid as a part of risk taking.

I think it's random failures that was being discussed in the first place, info already released by codemasters is that 2010 will not be a hardcore Race sim but something between that and an arcade game so I really don't think the player will be tinkering with the air intake and brake ducts some how.

#115 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,305 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 17:02

The brake/engine failures in rFactor are based on realtime temperature info which are in part determined by the duct sizes, disc thicknesses and the amount of revs you set the engine to use (boost). When I raced in the FSR World Champs last year I had to do testing and input the data into Motec (the software used by real motorsport teams) to check it all to make sure the car was being run as marginal as possible for the race distances.

At Valencia about 1/3 of the grid suffered brake failures from running too thin a brake disc or running too small ducts or too high brake pressures. My front left brake disc broke on the final corner of the race but I still managed a points finish :)

My rear wing was also partially damaged for the whole race which reduced downforce in the fast corners at the end of the lap by about 5% and car was really twitchy, had to drive around it.

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 07 April 2010 - 17:05.

#116 Lights

Lights

• 9,321 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 17:23

The brake/engine failures in rFactor are based on realtime temperature info which are in part determined by the duct sizes, disc thicknesses and the amount of revs you set the engine to use (boost). When I raced in the FSR World Champs last year I had to do testing and input the data into Motec (the software used by real motorsport teams) to check it all to make sure the car was being run as marginal as possible for the race distances.

At Valencia about 1/3 of the grid suffered brake failures from running too thin a brake disc or running too small ducts or too high brake pressures. My front left brake disc broke on the final corner of the race but I still managed a points finish :)

My rear wing was also partially damaged for the whole race which reduced downforce in the fast corners at the end of the lap by about 5% and car was really twitchy, had to drive around it.

Those are the races you value the most afterwards if you make it to the finish. :up:

F1 2010 should at least have these kind of things implemented.

#117 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 19:59

I can safely say that Gran Turismo 5 looks better than F1 2010 does at the moment. Have you ever seen the F2007 in that game? It's absolutely beautiful.

Perhaps, but you can't model an entire grid in that detail and light characteristics.

Frankly, I could care less show a game looks -have you seen some modern GPL mods? the game is 12 years old!

#118 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 23:40

It's called realism. Simracers like that.

And it's not just plain bad luck anyway. If you set your car up well it shouldn't happen.

So it's not very realistic then? Seriously, set your car up well and you get no failures...where did that idea come from...

#119 Lights

Lights

• 9,321 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 18:10

So it's not very realistic then? Seriously, set your car up well and you get no failures...where did that idea come from...

It is realistic. Why do you think it isn't? In F1 we hardly see any failures.

Ofcourse you can still get failures, if you overheat your engine or brakes. It's about being on the edge to keep performance, and drive smart in races. That is realistic.

Advertisement

#120 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:51

It is realistic. Why do you think it isn't? In F1 we hardly see any failures.

Ofcourse you can still get failures, if you overheat your engine or brakes. It's about being on the edge to keep performance, and drive smart in races. That is realistic.

Most failures still come from faulty manufacturing. Look at these from this year:

Buemi's front suspension exploding
Alonso's gearbox developing a fault
Several Ferrari engine failures in Saubers and Ferraris.
Schumacher rear wheel failure in Malaysia
Buemi in Bahrain - hydraulics
Timo and Bruno in Australia - hydraulics

Where you get the idea most failures are because of the driver not setting the car up properly I dont know, but I see no evidence for that hypothesis whatsoever.

Edited by Madras, 23 April 2010 - 07:13.

#121 Lights

Lights

• 9,321 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:10

Most failures still come from faulty manufacturing.

Yeah. Try that in a game. Especially if you're running in an online league. Must be fun if after practicing weeks for a race you retire after some laps because of 'faulty manufacturing', right? Well it isn't. Simracers don't like those retirements. But perhaps I'm looking at it a bit too much from that perspective, assuming this game will be aimed at simracers. I'm probably wrong on that.

#122 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,239 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:20

It will be interesting to see how the Codemasters F1 Sim will compare to the Williams F1 car from iRacing http://www.iracing.c...-williams-fw31/

#123 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,323 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:43

I am dissapointed there is no spectator or TV mode i used to love making my own grids usualy the quick cars at the back then watch them race through the pack on f106.

#124 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 14:31

Yeah. Try that in a game. Especially if you're running in an online league. Must be fun if after practicing weeks for a race you retire after some laps because of 'faulty manufacturing', right? Well it isn't. Simracers don't like those retirements. But perhaps I'm looking at it a bit too much from that perspective, assuming this game will be aimed at simracers. I'm probably wrong on that.

I don't really see your point then. If you mean damage build up on the cars if you drive them badly then that's not a bad idea. But when you just said "failures" that obviously includes faulty parts as well, and that is what I thought you meant. I think most driver induced failures are as a result of crashing.

Edited by Madras, 23 April 2010 - 14:31.

#125 Lights

Lights

• 9,321 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 14:48

Most failures still come from faulty manufacturing. Look at these from this year:

Buemi's front suspension exploding
Alonso's gearbox developing a fault
Several Ferrari engine failures in Saubers and Ferraris.
Schumacher rear wheel failure in Malaysia
Buemi in Bahrain - hydraulics
Timo and Bruno in Australia - hydraulics

Where you get the idea most failures are because of the driver not setting the car up properly I dont know, but I see no evidence for that hypothesis whatsoever.

I only see this edit right now.

Anyway, my main point is that these kind of failures are a bit harder to implement in a game. I know in real F1 it is the main source of retirements, especially early in the season. But it's hard to put in a game. Whether I'd like it, don't know. For an online league, it's not an option. That was my point of view on this subject, but I'm probably alone with that point of view here, so never mind.

#126 Don_Humpador

Don_Humpador

• 2,223 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 16:35

http://uk.media.ps3....208/vids_1.html

#127 Lights

Lights

• 9,321 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 16:45

http://uk.media.ps3....208/vids_1.html

Well, they at least sound like they know what Formula 1 fans want.

You can't make an arcade F1 game and they know it. It's a completely different market than 'racing games' even though it's a game based on racing, obviously.

Sounds promising.

#128 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 20:22

I only see this edit right now.

Anyway, my main point is that these kind of failures are a bit harder to implement in a game. I know in real F1 it is the main source of retirements, especially early in the season. But it's hard to put in a game. Whether I'd like it, don't know. For an online league, it's not an option. That was my point of view on this subject, but I'm probably alone with that point of view here, so never mind.

I'm not sure I'd like it much either in a game, just wanted to point out in real life how you look after your car isnt a big factor. I guess in a game people tend to be more wreckless and therefore it is a good aspect to include in a game.

#129 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:46

New video from Codemasters:

#130 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,160 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 15:32

New video from Codemasters:

already posted :p :)

#131 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:34

They need to clean up the graphics, way too much sepia and bloom and all that. Maybe it's just a limitation of the engine they're using because DIRT/GRID was very bad in that sense too.

#132 Don_Humpador

Don_Humpador

• 2,223 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:18

They need to clean up the graphics, way too much sepia and bloom and all that. Maybe it's just a limitation of the engine they're using because DIRT/GRID was very bad in that sense too.

They have already confirmed it will be removed for the actual game, it's just a PR thing ;) (although quite why I'm not sure)

Anyway, here's the latest video, it's the same handling one as before, but much longer, extended edition. So if you think you've seen it before, you have, but there's a lot more new stuff to see!

Here are a few screenies

http://img291.images.../picture1ig.jpg
http://img52.imagesh.../picture5jk.png
http://img442.images.../picture3um.png

Looking good :up:

#133 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,610 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 13:38

These developer diaries are killing me. It's time for a proper gameplay trailer!

#134 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,169 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 23:48

Some of the answers to the developer diary questions sound good.

http://community.cod...-q-answers.html

At the very least it looks as though this game will be a lot of fun!

#135 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,610 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 15:23

Developer Diary 3 - Weather

#136 klyster

klyster

• 4,300 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:56

Oh boy, this game is shaping up to being a wet dream for me :D

#137 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,160 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 20:07

Developer Diary 3 - Weather

omg, if thats as good as it looks then it will be amazing

#138 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,716 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:03

http://www.virtualr....terview-videos/

two new vids :)

#139 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,716 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:12

another :o

Advertisement

#140 pRy

pRy

• 10,878 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:26

Not sure I'm a fan of the aerial being so prominent in the cockpit view.

#141 Jay101

Jay101

• 614 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:25

Not sure I'm a fan of the aerial being so prominent in the cockpit view.

The aerial can be a little annoying in the 2009 version, in some of the cars it can even get in the way of the focal point your trying to see and looking at the vids of 2010 it's going to be the same. Only a problem in cockpit view though.

#142 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:11

Some video was talking about going to the US to get feedback, why? I fear this game will never get rid of its shitty DIRT/GRID style bloom sepia tint graphics because of that. It's what all the typical American Xbox games have in terms of graphics. Can't we just have normal relatively clean and realistically coloured graphics like in F1:CE or Shift or something. I know someone said they might work on the colours/graphics but if they want to crack the American market my hopes aren't high on that front.

Right now I can't stand those awful colours and graphics...

There's no chance in hell I can buy this game with those awful graphics. Shit, even the Wii version looks better. The fact that they still haven't fixed it means it's clearly a limitation of that bloody DIRT/GRID engine because those were some flippin orange as hell games too.

EDIT:

I browsed the forum and found someone posting these pics, I look at them... after seeing all those suffocating orange hue images... I feel like I can breath when looking at these.

http://farm5.static....8ef1dfd49_o.jpg

http://farm2.static....b982b213c_o.jpg

Edited by King Six, 19 May 2010 - 12:16.

#143 A3

A3

• 20,509 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 13:42

http://farm2.static....b982b213c_o.jpg

Heh, new F1 wheels with the tire thread being static and the side wall is moving. :drunk:

#144 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,160 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 20:19

Heh, new F1 wheels with the tire thread being static and the side wall is moving. :drunk:

the cars arent the final versions so they wouldnt have gone into details like that :p

#145 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 20:51

Seeing as they already made them, I mean.. it would be a terrible waste for them to not just bundle the '09 cars in the game too. Brawn GP needs to be immortalised on not just the damn Wii and PSP or iphone or whatever, there needs to be some real PS3 horsepower behind them... yay cheap pun.

#146 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 17:36

It will be interesting to see how the Codemasters F1 Sim will compare to the Williams F1 car from iRacing http://www.iracing.c...-williams-fw31/

Don't count on any console game being a simulation, kiss of death for sales.

they may call it a sim, but it won't be.

#147 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 815 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:15

a video with 2010 cars finally!

#148 Gene and Tonic

Gene and Tonic

• 555 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:44

Not too promising there really - I'll wait for the inside sim racing verdict

#149 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,160 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 16:57

looks good tbh, this is on arcade settings apparently, the driver wasn't a fan or watched of f1 so had all aids on and thats what made it look so bad physically, the rest of the videos look promising

#150 Lewis

Lewis

• 672 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 19:49

looks good tbh, this is on arcade settings apparently, the driver wasn't a fan or watched of f1 so had all aids on and thats what made it look so bad physically, the rest of the videos look promising

Copy that! :up: This will be my all time favorite game!!! :clap: Can't wait to play it on the 360. :love: