Photo

F1 2010 by Codemasters screenies / info:

• Please log in to reply
2199 replies to this topic

#2001 Jay101

Jay101

• 614 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 18:02

totally unessecary. And I dont have 'all' aids on, and I dont have a steering wheel. I am at best an average user and have never found a game as easy as this. Wind your neck in.

Your not an average user if you can beat it that easily with tyre and fuel sim on and aids off. I can beat all my friends lap times and I can barely win the wdc in a first year lotus with fuel and tyre sim off, so I would say you are exceptionally gifted as a user.

I would however say that I'd too wish this game was a little harder but only by say 0.5 sec per lap quicker, anymore than that then the only person this game may appeal to is the exceptional players such as yourself of which I've yet to even come across on track yet.

Advertisement

#2002 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 18:32

Your not an average user if you can beat it that easily with tyre and fuel sim on and aids off. I can beat all my friends lap times and I can barely win the wdc in a first year lotus with fuel and tyre sim off, so I would say you are exceptionally gifted as a user.

I would however say that I'd too wish this game was a little harder but only by say 0.5 sec per lap quicker, anymore than that then the only person this game may appeal to is the exceptional players such as yourself of which I've yet to even come across on track yet.

By the way: how much is, say, the Lotus or Virgin slower than the Red Bull? Two seconds? Four?

#2003 Jay101

Jay101

• 614 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 18:57

By the way: how much is, say, the Lotus or Virgin slower than the Red Bull? Two seconds? Four?

I'm guessing a little here because I had less experience with the game when I raced with a Lotus but I'd say around 2 seconds a lap, but because the faster cars handle that much better you don't tend to make so many mistakes, or at least thats what I've found so once you take that into account over a race distance your probably 3 secs a lap quicker or more as an average.

#2004 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 19:29

totally unessecary. And I dont have 'all' aids on, and I dont have a steering wheel. I am at best an average user and have never found a game as easy as this. Wind your neck in.

Well, then you're just lying. Sorry, but the internet is not exactly a place to take people's claims seriously.

Those of us who have played the entire game know that there is an issue with AI being too fast on some tracks. All aids off, Legend AI, no way you are beating the game on all tracks.

If you spent 30 minutes at Montreal, maybe.

#2005 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 19:51

Well, then you're just lying. Sorry, but the internet is not exactly a place to take people's claims seriously.

Those of us who have played the entire game know that there is an issue with AI being too fast on some tracks. All aids off, Legend AI, no way you are beating the game on all tracks.

Lets not get too personal, gentlemen. It is possible that for very good AI-racers this game is too easy... that does not mean that Codemasters are ripping people off. I am an average simracer (though I am quite experienced, through Gp2, GP3, GP4, rFactor, GP Legends), and I find the game quite enjoyable, sometimes too easy, sometimes too hard.

So I feel a bit stirred by people who claim - truthfully or not - that the game is shite because THEY can win races too easily.

So... back on the game. Has anyone had the trouble of qualifying well but being trashed in the race? I have been, the last three races...

#2006 Jay101

Jay101

• 614 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 22:36

So... back on the game. Has anyone had the trouble of qualifying well but being trashed in the race? I have been, the last three races...

Yes, it seems there's a lot of tracks where qualifying is easier than the race, but then it's easy to push the car to it's limits risking spins and crashes for that one fast lap you need for qualifying where as you need to calm it down for the race since priorities change and now it's more important to keep the car on the track and that ultimately gives you slower lap times compared to the AI.

#2007 mtknot

mtknot

• 640 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 23:51

I suppose the inconsistent AI does make the game a little more interesting than it would be if the AI's difficulty remained relatively static to your performance. I mean I had an awesome weekend at Montreal, followed by a shocker at Valencia.

God damn it. Valencia.

Theres just something I hate about that track. Its just... too easy to hate.

I've also found the same issue; did well in qualy but then made mincemeat of in races... I think the practise of running stiff anti roll really kills performance when you chuck fuel in the car...

#2008 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:21

Yes, it seems there's a lot of tracks where qualifying is easier than the race, but then it's easy to push the car to it's limits risking spins and crashes for that one fast lap you need for qualifying where as you need to calm it down for the race since priorities change and now it's more important to keep the car on the track and that ultimately gives you slower lap times compared to the AI.

True... but for me (I already mentioned it) there is a huge difference between the Option and the Prime with full tanks. I am playing my first season with the Lotus, I usually am able to qualify in the top 10... but the last couple of races the AI cars in the race are about five seconds a lap quicker... and I am not THAT careful in the race (or uncareful in the qualy!)

For example: in Hungary, with 10 litres of fuel, I was able to get to 1.25 in practice. While in trial I got down to 1.21x. With full tank in practice I can't get below 1.32... and that is too big a difference. No?

PS:

And there IS one thing that really bugs me about the AI in this game... in the race they either can't keep up with you or they try to overtake you... in practice they overtake you... then wait on the straight... slow down, really... and then get in your way. So you overtake them... and then they start following you again...

Webber and Vettel keep screwing up my practice sessions this way!

:mad:

#2009 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:23

I suppose the inconsistent AI does make the game a little more interesting than it would be if the AI's difficulty remained relatively static to your performance. I mean I had an awesome weekend at Montreal, followed by a shocker at Valencia.

God damn it. Valencia.

Theres just something I hate about that track. Its just... too easy to hate.

I've also found the same issue; did well in qualy but then made mincemeat of in races... I think the practise of running stiff anti roll really kills performance when you chuck fuel in the car...

What section do you have trouble with in Valencia? Perhaps we can help eachother? Or would that be an idea for another thread: Help me! In F1 2010, I suck at... Fill in your track!

#2010 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 752 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:12

I find increasing the toe-in has a dramatic effect on top speed, so I don't tweak that too much any more.

I tried camber full on, and with nothing and could barely feel a difference.

The one major omissions from the setup menu is the differential lock.

#2011 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,868 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:43

I just find that the quick set ups have a really good neutral balance, people say that the set ups have far too much understeer, but I think they're just taking aggressive lines and going into the corners too quick. The cars ride plenty of curbs and are predictable over most bumps and braking so there are no major vices and for longer runs its reasonably kind on the tyres. One has to remember, for every setup change, there will be pros and cons. For my money, the main net gain is the gearing, which is the one thing that is certainly not optimally set up in the quick set ups. For example, at Bahrain with low downforce in a McLaren and with a decent exit from the last corner, I can be on the limiter in 7th just after the start-finish line!

#2012 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:15

Gotta laugh at some of the inconsistencies. On a TT at Hungary you nudge your wheel off the track a little on one of the corners and it invalidates your lap. But in Canada you can practically cut the first chicane with no reprimand and in Monaco you can bounce it off the wall at St Devote.

Edited by wewantourdarbyback, 24 November 2010 - 10:15.

#2013 HAM

HAM

• 531 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 00:52

Experienced something funny, changed wings to 7 (f) - 1 (back) and it gives you much better handling in the corners but with this wing setting I am losing too much time on the straights so only interesting for tracks with almost no straights, like Monaco.

Edited by HAM, 28 November 2010 - 14:24.

#2014 SRi130Brett

SRi130Brett

• 341 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:00

Tell you what, you tell your mummy Im going around telling porkies and lying, and she can speak to my mummy after school in the playground, and she'll tell me off if its true and I'll get what I deserve. How does that sound?

Im not even vauguley interested in debating the truth in my comments seeing as even if I could proove them, I have no intention of wasting valuable time doing so.

I think the games to easy, simple as that.

Rinehardt Im not registered on PSN. I only connect the console up to download patches and the like.

#2015 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,868 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:44

Rinehardt Im not registered on PSN. I only connect the console up to download patches and the like.

It takes about 5 minutes to sort a PSN mate. Chicken!

#2016 SRi130Brett

SRi130Brett

• 341 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 13:06

It takes about 5 minutes to sort a PSN mate. Chicken!

Its not a question of time, Im just not that arsed about online gaming full stop!!

Waiting in lobbies for enough people and so on like I have seen at my mates 360Live isnt my cup of tea, especially when you get in and find loads of people quit or theres some idiot in there cheating of smashing into people. Ive just never bothered.

Edited by SRi130Brett, 26 November 2010 - 13:07.

#2017 Jay101

Jay101

• 614 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:09

Has anyone started a new career and tried putting in "Fuckyou" as your name so upon entering the career motor home your agent says:-

"Hey **** you"

or alternatively you could get her to say

"Hey arse hole I got some contract offers for you to take a look at"

#2018 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 752 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 14:19

I've just about had it now with the rubber-banding. NEVER start on Primes.

I started 11th on Primes, everyone around me is on options. Schumacher is around 4 seconds ahead of me on options on lap 7, he pits for primes, then 5-6 laps later who do I see behind me but Schumacher, now travelling 2-3 seconds a lap faster than me! As soon as he gets within 3 seconds of me, he immediately goes back to his "normal" pace. My pace has consistently improved by 1-2 tenths per lap.

When I eventually pit for options I come out in 18th, despite lapping consistently quicker and quicker.

It's also very frustrating when somebody comes to lap you - you let them by, then they immediately slow down and hold you up.

#2019 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 20:18

I've just about had it now with the rubber-banding. NEVER start on Primes.

I started 11th on Primes, everyone around me is on options. Schumacher is around 4 seconds ahead of me on options on lap 7, he pits for primes, then 5-6 laps later who do I see behind me but Schumacher, now travelling 2-3 seconds a lap faster than me! As soon as he gets within 3 seconds of me, he immediately goes back to his "normal" pace. My pace has consistently improved by 1-2 tenths per lap.

When I eventually pit for options I come out in 18th, despite lapping consistently quicker and quicker.

It's also very frustrating when somebody comes to lap you - you let them by, then they immediately slow down and hold you up.

True. And in practice you overtake them (when they drive far right to let you pass), and then they pick up speed to trouble you again!

Advertisement

#2020 klyster

klyster

• 4,266 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 21:03

Has anyone started a new career and tried putting in "Fuckyou" as your name so upon entering the career motor home your agent says:-
I
"Hey **** you"

or alternatively you could get her to say

"Hey arse hole I got some contract offers for you to take a look at"

I think you have to choose a pre determined name, just like grid.

Edited by klyster, 27 November 2010 - 21:05.

#2021 Stephan

Stephan

• 1,142 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:13

I have been very frustrated yesterday by this game;

I do not have much time to play, but still, being a decent racer on most games, I choose the "hard" difficulty level for my first season, Virgin racing, 30% races. So I got to the Canada GP, without having finished in the points yet (I try to race in one try, so no restarts only when first corner goes wrong). My main problem is the transition between Options and Primes.

So on to Montreal. Being a track where the opposition isnt ridiculous fast (catalunya..) I had a good qualifying lap putting me fourth on the grid. In the race I stay in fourth till lap 7 of 21, make my pitstop and return on primes. I spin at l'Epingle and get passed by Kubica, and some other guys who still had to pit of course have overtaken me too now.

So on to the last four laps, I am in eighth with Schumacher on my tail. On my way to my first points finish, I get nervous, but I hold on to eighth, with Schumacher on my tail... only to see the results show me in ninth with Schumacher winning who has lapped the whole field...

WTF!!!

I am seriously close to giving up on career mode now; it is horrible that results shown do not reflect actual race results. That is just crap.

#2022 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 752 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 15:39

I've had that before saying Buemi had lapped the entire field :(

#2023 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 752 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 20:57

I'm coming to end of my first and also my last season in F1 2010 offline.

At Hungary I qualify 8th, had I done a perfect lap I could have been 5th or 6th.

Anyway come race day, I'm suddenly slower than EVERYONE. Even Trulli who I was 3 seconds faster than in qualifying is faster.

After I make my first pitstop (holding everyone up from 9th-23rd) I'm immediately last and with Glock 4 seconds in front of me I can't catch him!

In the end I suicided against a wall for about the 6th time this season because I just cannot take being the slowest car for no good reason, it's like torture!

I'm really, really angry with CM for LYING to us about AI Tyre Wear and Fuel Consumption, because it's basically not been implemented at all.

#2024 HAM

HAM

• 531 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 23:06

Posted Image

Wet time trail is still very cool, almost did a 1:08 but scr.wed in the last sector to not make it perfect, still pleased to go below 1:10 in a wet Sao Paulo on Xbox 360.

#2025 Stephan

Stephan

• 1,142 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:12

I've had that before saying Buemi had lapped the entire field :(

Okay, so next race, off to Valencia. I am running in 14th after my pitstops, brake to late for the first corner and lose a lot of places having to reverse.

So I am in 19th, with Senna 20th crossing the finishing line, or am I? The results show Senna won and lapped the entire field.

No more career mode for me, two races in a row ruined by bugs. :mad:

#2026 Jay101

Jay101

• 614 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 21:33

Okay, so next race, off to Valencia. I am running in 14th after my pitstops, brake to late for the first corner and lose a lot of places having to reverse.

So I am in 19th, with Senna 20th crossing the finishing line, or am I? The results show Senna won and lapped the entire field.

No more career mode for me, two races in a row ruined by bugs. :mad:

Is this bug showing up after the patch has been installed or has it always been there ?

#2027 Stephan

Stephan

• 1,142 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:42

Is this bug showing up after the patch has been installed or has it always been there ?

I don't know, I have no Xbox live so no patch for me. One of my best friends, who also hasn't installed the patch for the same reason hasn't encountered this problem and he is at Korea in his first season.

#2028 pRy

pRy

• 10,845 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 23:31

I've now taken to setting myself little challenges. My latest one is starting at Spa, falling to the back of the field and then trying to get to 1st place by the end of the lap. Add to that I drive with no volume, so it's purely visually working out when to brake. I've made it to 2nd place so far.

#2029 SimMaker

SimMaker

• 771 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:36

So now that it has all settled down.

What do you all think of it, hype/marketing vs your real experiences? Will you buy 2011?

If Yes. Why?

And if No. What could they do that would change your mind into a Yes?

Edited by SimMaker, 26 December 2010 - 03:37.

#2030 rm111

rm111

• 406 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:49

I recently started playing this game again, and im still really underwhelmed by it. There is some great features but the handling is so uninspiring and there is little sense of speed, it just doesnt make me want to keep playing, i loose interest pretty quickly.
The good thing is now it seems most people have had enough of it so you can now actually have good clean online races with guys who dont want to ram you off track at every opportunity.
I will buy the 2011 game but will not be believing the hype or expecting something exceptional like i did for F12010.

#2031 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,509 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:59

Have come back to F1 2010 after Christmas, and have to say that playing GT5 with the wheel has really helped me! I'm getting sweeter lines into the corners, I've improved my Catalunya time by around a second, and I've got more consistent with it too.

Picked up my restarted career with Hispania from a couple of months ago, had the Spanish GP up next... I was dreading it as usual. Spent a good 45 minutes in practice just trying some setups I'd checked out online, and trying some different lines too. Didn't light up the timesheet, but felt better driving the car. Qualified 15th, Senna was 19th. Come race day it's soaking wet. :( I didn't want to go and fiddle with my hard-earned setup, so I only racked the ride height up a notch on each side, and the same for the wings, up one step on both front and rear.... The car felt great and... I won! 50% race and it rained the whole way. Alonso led for a long time with a fairly steady 8-10 seconds lead, but spun with 5 laps to go and I was cruising to the end. No mistakes, no wobbles in the rainy conditions, just a fantastic race with some great battles as I moved up the order with Schumi, Kubica and a 5-corner tussle with Liuzzi on lap one!

And I then thought, where is all this in GT5? Sure you get amazing driving physics and so many cars, but unless you go online and find a good group, the racing isn't as good as this. The AI is ok in GT, but it's nothing compared with the one in this game, especially when the rain comes and the AI gets relatively faster to you. That's my only complaint with this game, that in bone dry conditions, the other cars aren't quick enough.

Online seems to be better now too, mainly coz all the crashers and morons have gone to GT5, or Need for Speed (where they belong). Had a really good 3-race series with mostly Brits and a few Spanish drivers. They were mostly very good, apart from the inevitable first-corner smash fest. I try and look for rooms that apply 2010 car speeds, coz I like doing a bit of giantkilling in the HRT... some people really don't like it if you're faster than them in that car (plus I'm only level 25 as I don't do much online racing, so these guys who are lvl 30+ think I'm some kid :p).

#2032 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,143 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 14:16

Have come back to F1 2010 after Christmas, and have to say that playing GT5 with the wheel has really helped me! I'm getting sweeter lines into the corners, I've improved my Catalunya time by around a second, and I've got more consistent with it too.

Picked up my restarted career with Hispania from a couple of months ago, had the Spanish GP up next... I was dreading it as usual. Spent a good 45 minutes in practice just trying some setups I'd checked out online, and trying some different lines too. Didn't light up the timesheet, but felt better driving the car. Qualified 15th, Senna was 19th. Come race day it's soaking wet. :( I didn't want to go and fiddle with my hard-earned setup, so I only racked the ride height up a notch on each side, and the same for the wings, up one step on both front and rear.... The car felt great and... I won! 50% race and it rained the whole way. Alonso led for a long time with a fairly steady 8-10 seconds lead, but spun with 5 laps to go and I was cruising to the end. No mistakes, no wobbles in the rainy conditions, just a fantastic race with some great battles as I moved up the order with Schumi, Kubica and a 5-corner tussle with Liuzzi on lap one!

And I then thought, where is all this in GT5? Sure you get amazing driving physics and so many cars, but unless you go online and find a good group, the racing isn't as good as this. The AI is ok in GT, but it's nothing compared with the one in this game, especially when the rain comes and the AI gets relatively faster to you. That's my only complaint with this game, that in bone dry conditions, the other cars aren't quick enough.

Online seems to be better now too, mainly coz all the crashers and morons have gone to GT5, or Need for Speed (where they belong). Had a really good 3-race series with mostly Brits and a few Spanish drivers. They were mostly very good, apart from the inevitable first-corner smash fest. I try and look for rooms that apply 2010 car speeds, coz I like doing a bit of giantkilling in the HRT... some people really don't like it if you're faster than them in that car (plus I'm only level 25 as I don't do much online racing, so these guys who are lvl 30+ think I'm some kid :p).

this is really weird but, i get quicker in the wet and generally love the conditions, for example qualified 6 seconds quicker in qualifying in the wet at spa with legend ai with no assists :S my mate said the rain is a killer as well, but theres something that means i get quicker :S i'm guessing its driving style because i leave my dry setup on the car.

but yeah i agree, the AI is very good in this game and i prefer it far more than GT5 which i won't even pick up anymore, repeating the same events 10 times has got boring haha. But after the update this game definately improved and to be honest i love it, it may not be the most realistic ever but its as fun as any other driving game you can buy atm. It's going to take a while to get to online level 50 tho!! 1,000,000 EXP -.-

Edited by Brandz07, 02 January 2011 - 14:17.

#2033 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,509 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 14:42

I say it's hard to say whether it's truly realistic or not because only around 30 people get to drive these cars in anger for real. Davidson has done a lot of testing in a lot of F1 cars, has done tons of sim work, and said that this was a great handling game. I think it is, but the impression of speed isn't quite there... it's probably something tiny like the amount of blur on the advert boards at 150mph+, but it doesn't feel as fast as the last PS3 F1 game (F1:CE). That has some positives though as it does give you good thinking time, not having to work out where you are through the blur and vibration!

The wet weather system is incredible though... it doesn't show much when you get a full wet race, because that's been done in racing games for donkey's years, but when you get those mixed weather races, where the track is always in a fluctuating state, it's absolute magic and a real test of strategy, speed and consistency. The designers stated that they wanted to make the player feel like he/she could get into a groove, and you certainly can. In GT5, which I think is fantastic, you don't get that feeling that if you do a really good lap you could do the same things next time round, whereas you do in this game.

It's good they fixed the bugs, and it's also good that this is just the first iteration of Codemasters' F1 games. There is a lot still to build on, which makes me more excited for future editions!

#2034 BrabJackham

BrabJackham

• 31 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:44

Oh my god! This game is a desaster! :o :(
PS3 (and G27 steering wheel)
I`m in my third season. Replaced Huelkenberg at Williams.
SPA-GP. Started 7th on grid. Passed Liuzzi, Rossberg and Kobayashi, Massa made a mistake.
LAP 18, running third. Only Alonso and Lewis ahead of me. They go into the pits just in front of me and they come out 5. and 6.
I go into the pits and the f******ing Lollipop man waits for about 17 seconds (AFTER the stop has finished) and allows about 15 cars to pass me. :down: :eek:
I rejoin the race on 21!!!!!!! (from my third position) :mad:
Any idea if Codemaster is going to fix this! :o
I almost got mad yesterday night! :mad: :mad:

#2035 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,913 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:57

I say it's hard to say whether it's truly realistic or not because only around 30 people get to drive these cars in anger for real. Davidson has done a lot of testing in a lot of F1 cars, has done tons of sim work, and said that this was a great handling game.

I recall he said the same about the last console F1 game that he contributed to...

#2036 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 245 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:50

I say it's hard to say whether it's truly realistic or not because only around 30 people get to drive these cars in anger for real. Davidson has done a lot of testing in a lot of F1 cars, has done tons of sim work, and said that this was a great handling game. I think it is, but the impression of speed isn't quite there... it's probably something tiny like the amount of blur on the advert boards at 150mph+, but it doesn't feel as fast as the last PS3 F1 game (F1:CE). That has some positives though as it does give you good thinking time, not having to work out where you are through the blur and vibration!

Among the simulation fans there is almost a uniform concensus that F1 2010 is not realistic. It has simplified physics, and most of all, a very very basic physical tire model. For one, you can't lock up your brakes no matter how hard you try. You can save ANY sping by just slamming on the brakes and point your steering wheel in de right direction. Now, I want to see Alonso do that next time he starts sliding at Spa.

There is also no oversteer present...

It's more a game than a simulation. But the question is, is that a bad thing? F1 2010 is made for the biggest possible audience, and I think the way it is now it serves that purpose best. If you are into more realism, I strongly suggest you look elsewhere.

#2037 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,143 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:32

Oh my god! This game is a desaster! :o :(
PS3 (and G27 steering wheel)
I`m in my third season. Replaced Huelkenberg at Williams.
SPA-GP. Started 7th on grid. Passed Liuzzi, Rossberg and Kobayashi, Massa made a mistake.
LAP 18, running third. Only Alonso and Lewis ahead of me. They go into the pits just in front of me and they come out 5. and 6.
I go into the pits and the f******ing Lollipop man waits for about 17 seconds (AFTER the stop has finished) and allows about 15 cars to pass me. :down: :eek:
I rejoin the race on 21!!!!!!! (from my third position) :mad:
Any idea if Codemaster is going to fix this! :o
I almost got mad yesterday night! :mad: :mad:

they fixed this in the patch already

#2038 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,143 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:35

Among the simulation fans there is almost a uniform concensus that F1 2010 is not realistic. It has simplified physics, and most of all, a very very basic physical tire model. For one, you can't lock up your brakes no matter how hard you try. You can save ANY sping by just slamming on the brakes and point your steering wheel in de right direction. Now, I want to see Alonso do that next time he starts sliding at Spa.

It's more a game than a simulation. But the question is, is that a bad thing? F1 2010 is made for the biggest possible audience, and I think the way it is now it serves that purpose best. If you are into more realism, I strongly suggest you look elsewhere.

its certainly possible to lock up brakes, im guessing u have the aids off?

But overall the GAME is brilliant. Codemasters would have failed majorly if they'd made an rfactor type simulator because theres a large number of people who struggle with this game with all assists on and the easiest level, now imagine them on an rfactor type game, they'd just take the game straight back to the shops

#2039 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 645 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:30

they fixed this in the patch already

Not really, I've experienced this too.

What I do to counter this is to pit 2-3 laps after being told to pits.

Advertisement

#2040 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,143 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 19:05

Not really, I've experienced this too.

What I do to counter this is to pit 2-3 laps after being told to pits.

on xbox, ps3 or pc?

#2041 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 645 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:42

on xbox, ps3 or pc?

xbox.

#2042 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,868 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:27

Objection your honour...

1. Anthony Davidson, who has driven F1 cars unlike 99.9% of the sim community says that some of the simulators are NOT as real as F12010. He suggests that because some simulators are harder to drive than F12010, the false PERCEPTION from the sim community is that F12010 must therefore not be as real.

2. Furthermore, F12010 is considered to handle very similarly to the new iracing Williams, which in turn is considered to be the new F1 sim benchmark - particulalrly since it is based on Williams own simulator.

3. You can lock the brakes (disengage the abs HELP which real F1 cars don't have) and you can certainly achieve oversteer (disengage traction control HELP which real F1 cars don't have).

I got GT5 for Christmas and compared to F12010, GT5 is utter shyte in my opinion. THAT is an arcade game. 1000 people have a hissy fit about the fact that no 3rd sector time is shown in F12010, whereas in GT5, the entire Championship standings screen is omitted and nobody says a word. I guess that's because the demographics of the 2 games players are vastly different...

#2043 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 245 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:20

Objection your honour...

1. Anthony Davidson, who has driven F1 cars unlike 99.9% of the sim community says that some of the simulators are NOT as real as F12010. He suggests that because some simulators are harder to drive than F12010, the false PERCEPTION from the sim community is that F12010 must therefore not be as real.

2. Furthermore, F12010 is considered to handle very similarly to the new iracing Williams, which in turn is considered to be the new F1 sim benchmark - particulalrly since it is based on Williams own simulator.

3. You can lock the brakes (disengage the abs HELP which real F1 cars don't have) and you can certainly achieve oversteer (disengage traction control HELP which real F1 cars don't have).

I got GT5 for Christmas and compared to F12010, GT5 is utter shyte in my opinion. THAT is an arcade game. 1000 people have a hissy fit about the fact that no 3rd sector time is shown in F12010, whereas in GT5, the entire Championship standings screen is omitted and nobody says a word. I guess that's because the demographics of the 2 games players are vastly different...

Objection part two,

1. AD is paid by Codemasters to develop this game and obviously promote it as well. What you say is true however, modern F1 cars are said to be rather easy when you drive them at 95 %. Indeed, exactly how the iRacing car drives as well. The difference however is that last 5 percent. In that area you can feel there's a lot going on. When you accelerate to abruptly out of a 1/2 gear corner you are on the edge of grip of the tires. You can feel this in iRacing very well, you can even feel it better with FVA/netKar Pro. F1 2010 however, is a different story. The tire model is very simplistic and works more like an on/off switch, with little subtleties.

Even with all aids of it is too easy on the limit. I had a hard time locking my wheels anyway, and also you could aggressively acceleratie out of 1/2 gear corners without too much fuss. The worst part however is how you can catch slides. Torture the brake instanteanously and steer in the direction you need to go, and the spin will correct itself. That is rather hilarious, especially as it works at any slip angle.

2. The real benchmark by the sim enthousiasts is the Ferrari F10 from FVA. A dull game with no online possibilites. Physics wise it's quite similar to the Williams, just a tad harder to drive under acceleration, but easier on the brakes. The feel through the FFB effects and the feel the tires give are rated slightly higher than the iRacing Williams. I race both with a huge amount of pleasure.

3. I naturally drove without any aids, and did half a season in the Virgin. It is a very fun game for what's intended to do. Bring the F1 with some form of realism to the bigger public. However, the driving experience qua realism of the feel of the car is not close to more hardcore simulators. Strangely I remembered the brakes were almost impossible to lock up, and unfortunately I removed the game from the HD to try it again. I really liked the graphics and the wet weather effects by the way, those are miles above other F1 sims. But as a driving purist I could not enjoy the superficial experience.

GT5 has something similar yet different about it. I feel it has more depth in it's physics department. It was the best console racing game I ever tried feeling wise. However, driving the lotus Elise around the topgear track, I would say the tires started sliding far far too quick. Real tires/cars have much more grip. Somehow I felt it was quite involving though, even with a controller.

#2044 A3

A3

• 20,400 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:35

Trust me, they're miles apart.

I haven't touched F1 2010 since I became an iRacing member.

#2045 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,143 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 17:03

xbox.

weird, hasnt happened to me in 3 seasons since the update

#2046 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 645 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:14

weird, hasnt happened to me in 3 seasons since the update

Yeah, I noticed this since playing 5 season mode. Before this playing 3 season (after update) and not experience this at all.

#2047 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 752 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:47

So now that it has all settled down.

What do you all think of it, hype/marketing vs your real experiences? Will you buy 2011?

If Yes. Why?

And if No. What could they do that would change your mind into a Yes?

No, well certainly not on release day. I'll wait until I've read the thoughts of fellow sim-racers. I rushed out and bought this simply because it was the first F1 game on PC for about 7 years.

The AI is quite simply some of the worst AI I've ever seen in a racing game.

Coupled with the stupid bugs and lack of realism. I scored about 30 pts with Lotus by round 13 and yet no other team other than Lotus wants to sign me.

And I really detest the handling model over kerbs. Drive over a kerb at 180mph with small steering lock? Fine. Turn the wheel a few degrees more and the car has zero grip. Which means you have to pussy-foot around all the kerbs which just saps a lot of the fun out of driving :(

As a rough average I'm around 4 seconds per lap faster than the entire field in the wet. In the dry I'm about 2 seconds a lap slower. So the AI wet-weather scaling is IMO, absolutely shocking.

#2048 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 1,399 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 23:36

So is there an F1 2011? Or is there going to be an update for teams and drivers new liveries and all

Read some of the bitching and moaning, it's just a game, abit of fun! If you want realism get in a car on a track!

#2049 chdphd

chdphd

• 1,413 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 23:53

So is there an F1 2011? Or is there going to be an update for teams and drivers new liveries and all

There will be a new game. There was never any plan for official downloadable content.

We also have the Indian track to look forward to :up:

#2050 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 645 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:22

Read some of the bitching and moaning, it's just a game, abit of fun! If you want realism get in a car on a track!

Did you ever playing the game?