Photo

F1 2010 by Codemasters screenies / info:

• Please log in to reply
2199 replies to this topic

#201 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,047 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 20:21

Just ran a small test to check accuracy between the e3 footage and onboard footage and its pretty impressive, very close to real life, bar a few kerbs being slightly different its very close, great stuff.

http://www.virtualr....eview-articles/

Play the dry one for a better view

Seb bourdais onboard

Advertisement

#202 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 20:26

Just ran a small test to check accuracy between the e3 footage and onboard footage and its pretty impressive, very close to real life, bar a few kerbs being slightly different its very close, great stuff.

http://www.virtualr....eview-articles/

Play the dry one for a better view

Seb bourdais onboard

In reference to the first video in your first link...

What's with all the shiny track surface? Never before have I ever seen it glisten like a mirror?

And also, I don't ever remember Spa being so lacking in spectators.

#203 pRy

pRy

• 10,920 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 21:54

First video looks quite impressive.

#204 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:37

The graphics and track environments look very good, much better than the sterile environments of GT5 or something.

It's a shame they're not using the official TV telemetry style for the HUD like in F1:CE (2006 style, but the game was 2006 anyway)

Good to see the orange tint has dissapeared then. I had a feeling if nobody made a big deal about it they would keep it. They've changed the graphics from GRID/DIRT away from the silly American style into a more mature international/European style. (trust me, you can tell by the way the graphics are implemented most of the time as to whether a game is Asian, European or American)

I heard some tyre screeching in one of the video's, I've never noticed this on TV probably because the engine noise drowns it out coupled with the puny mics on the onboard cameras which don't pick up much, but for those that have been abit closer and such... do F1 tyres screech around corners if the car is being driven aggressively in such ways? I mean they probably do actually, quite alot... just the engine makes it seem otherwise.

Edited by King Six, 22 July 2010 - 09:42.

#205 SimMaker

SimMaker

• 771 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:29

In reference to the first video in your first link...

What's with all the shiny track surface? Never before have I ever seen it glisten like a mirror?

And also, I don't ever remember Spa being so lacking in spectators.

You will see same lack of spectators in Monaco.

They are using 3D mesh models for crowds as opposed to simple transparancy effects. Hence, instead of a row of people being done by one polygon and an alpha texture, you actualy get 3D crowds.....but dut to their heavy polygon load (and animations no doubt) you cant have as many of them.

Makes the places look dead in my opinion.

#206 SimMaker

SimMaker

• 771 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:32

The graphics and track environments look very good, much better than the sterile environments of GT5 or something.

It's a shame they're not using the official TV telemetry style for the HUD like in F1:CE (2006 style, but the game was 2006 anyway)

Good to see the orange tint has dissapeared then. I had a feeling if nobody made a big deal about it they would keep it. They've changed the graphics from GRID/DIRT away from the silly American style into a more mature international/European style. (trust me, you can tell by the way the graphics are implemented most of the time as to whether a game is Asian, European or American)

I heard some tyre screeching in one of the video's, I've never noticed this on TV probably because the engine noise drowns it out coupled with the puny mics on the onboard cameras which don't pick up much, but for those that have been abit closer and such... do F1 tyres screech around corners if the car is being driven aggressively in such ways? I mean they probably do actually, quite alot... just the engine makes it seem otherwise.

"do F1 tyres screech around corners if the car is being driven aggressively in such ways?"

Oh yes, very much so. If their tires are not screeching as they go around the corners, they aint trying hard enough. And you can hear it if you are there. Especially places like Rascasse, where they are not hard on the throttle, but are certainly on the limits of grip.

#207 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:39

You will see same lack of spectators in Monaco.

They are using 3D mesh models for crowds as opposed to simple transparancy effects. Hence, instead of a row of people being done by one polygon and an alpha texture, you actualy get 3D crowds.....but dut to their heavy polygon load (and animations no doubt) you cant have as many of them.

Makes the places look dead in my opinion.

Well that explains that then. Mentioned it before, but when I was at Spa, Pouhon was rammed with hundreds of people, not just one man and his dog!

#208 SimMaker

SimMaker

• 771 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:45

Well that explains that then. Mentioned it before, but when I was at Spa, Pouhon was rammed with hundreds of people, not just one man and his dog!

I know what you mean. I was at Monaco as a photographer a few years back. Stood on the inside of first corner for start, and the large apartment building on the left just before they turn right and go up the hill, was SO full of people hanging out the balconies, that the thing it remnded me most of, no kidding, was an ants nest that had been kicked.

The screens I have seen of the same area in Codemasters new game, make it look like it is deserted. No atmos.

#209 bobban86

bobban86

• 105 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 15:12

how much of a "simulator" will the new game be? The old F1 99-02 game was quite nice I think, with telemetry possibilities but always felt i bit too much like driving gokarts, very forgiving...

#210 SimMaker

SimMaker

• 771 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 17:18

how much of a "simulator" will the new game be? The old F1 99-02 game was quite nice I think, with telemetry possibilities but always felt i bit too much like driving gokarts, very forgiving...

Having worked on and driven/played professional sims and "game" sims. For a game, it might be pretty good but probably not as good as rFactor or IRacing at actual "simulation". PCs are just better at that sort of thing, and Codmsters are pitching this at the console market.

You have to consider the brutal realities.

Codemasters and the others, want to make a product that you go out and buy, have fun on, makes you feel good, and you tell your friends about so they go out and buy it too. For a games firm, it is about money.

For a proper simultion, as the teams might use with ultra hi res track data, they want the most realistic simulation that money can buy. They dont want a sim to be good so they can make money with it, they want it to be good so that they learn from it and win races. They want to learn how to drive a track, how their car will react at certain points of a track, where they are weak and strong.

The two have totaly different goals. And be sure, that if saying "its a sim too" will get a few more sales, then games developers will call it a sim. But I will bet you a fiver right here and now, no team is going to use it except for fun or marketing reasons. Certainly not for serious simulator work. Conversely, I will bet you another Fiver that Codies game will look a lot better than the teams sims, but again, its all down to what you want out of the sim.

Game developers want money, F1 teams want highly technical answers........

If you had a go on a proper simulator, you'd understand. It really is chalk and cheese. But hard to explain......soz.....I tried....lol.

#211 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,624 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 22:54

I thought those videos were awful.

#212 slideways

slideways

• 3,266 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:51

I think it looks awesome. Simmers have to remember that we are a minority, even on the PC. If this game fills 100% of a racing gamers needs and 90% of a simmers, It's good enough for me, I haven't played a modern F1 season since RH06 on F199-02!!!

Edited by slideways, 23 July 2010 - 03:51.

#213 klyster

klyster

• 4,317 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:51

Jeepers, if it looks crappy like some think, I wonder what the benchmark of looking good is? A game that hasn't come out yet?

This game looks awesome, if what I think looks awesome, looks bad, then I'd love to see a great looking game....

It's not like the hardcore sims 'look' any better now, or do you think I'm crazy and they look amazing?

Edited by klyster, 23 July 2010 - 05:53.

#214 vodoun

vodoun

• 23 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:22

It's not like the hardcore sims 'look' any better now, or do you think I'm crazy and they look amazing?

No, they don't however... I noticed one terrible thing getting off the start and exiting the corner for the finish. No twitching, no steering correction during wheel spin. If you had done that in rFactor you'd be facing the wrong way or possibly quite a massive slide but you'd certainly have been wrestling with the wheel in FSONE09. Not once did I see the rear step out under power.

I really didn't like the look of the start and exit out of the last corner. This was what happened in F1:CE people never got out of shape while keeping the accelerator pinned.

I guess if I never played rFactor it wouldn't have bothered me.

Edited by vodoun, 23 July 2010 - 06:28.

#215 SimMaker

SimMaker

• 771 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:09

Jeepers, if it looks crappy like some think, I wonder what the benchmark of looking good is? A game that hasn't come out yet?

This game looks awesome, if what I think looks awesome, looks bad, then I'd love to see a great looking game....

I think this is part of the point being made here though.

Yes, the Codemasters game looks great, will look great for marketing, will sell 100s of thousands of copys becsue it LOOKS so good.

But, if people want a simulation, then the looks come secondary to the actual feel of the Sim. The worry (for simmers) is, Codies have put all their effort into how cool the water looks, how cool the grass looks, how cool a crowd member looks, and may have fogotten to worry about how the game "feels" compared to a proper simulation.

But as also mentioned, "we" the hard core simmers are NOT the target of this game. If anything this game will be geared, as crazy as it sounds, as much as possible to the USA market, as they are the biggest consumers of video games. So it will be very simple to drive, will be possible for an 8 year old to pick it up and do a few good laps. etc... So for people who ant something cool to show their friends, and have a good night in with a 6 pack, this game will be great.

For hard core rivet heads who want to tweek endlesly, who want to balance out the car so that the right temps get into the tires at the right times, who then want to go out and pound lap after lap out with a consitent and accurate physics model to see if their tweeks are working, then this will maybe be a let down.

Sims and Games are two very different things.

Edited by SimMaker, 23 July 2010 - 07:10.

#216 klyster

klyster

• 4,317 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:29

I get what you guys are saying, and I don't think this is being made to challenge rfactor or iracing or whatever, they have to appeal to everyone, not just simmers. I have rfacter, and I love how I can download my local tracks (Ruapuna), I'm never going to bag any sim, but people saying this game looks crappy are just crazy IMO.
IMO, it looks amazing and I want is a fun F1 game, not a 100 percent sim, Rfactor can supply that.
What bothers me the most is how penalties will be dealt with. I hate the idea of another bargefest like grid with only parochial voting to govern crashers and kicking and such. I hope they have flag rules and penalties to cover this.
As for being a let down, who actually expected a hardcore sim from codemasters? Have they even hinted it would be a proper sim?
GT5 is calling itself a simulator, but we all know better, and should apply the same logic to F2010, it will be a fun game that looks great hopefully, I'll be happy with that.
As for the twitchyness off the start line, I wouldn't be surprised if that was due to the 360 controller, as I recall the demos being 360 based.

Anyway, I have already updated some of my PC for this game, I'll get a decent wheel next. :D

#217 slideways

slideways

• 3,266 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:36

SimMaker you don't have to be so extreme. Saying the game is aimed at 8 year olds is just belittling to one of the better racing game studios out there.

And Sims and games are closer than you lot make out!! 10 years ago the difference between a sim and a game was a user created mod or two.

#218 klyster

klyster

• 4,317 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:39

He has a point though, there will be people of all ages playing this game and if GRID is anything to go by, 8 year olds will be there in their multitudes.
Heck, if I was making a racing game, I'd try and snag every demographic possible :lol:

#219 slideways

slideways

• 3,266 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:40

Anyway, I have already updated some of my PC for this game, I'll get a decent wheel next. :D

I still have a Logitech Momo RF - will be time for me to upgrade as well. :)

Advertisement

#220 baddog

baddog

• 23,423 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:42

But as also mentioned, "we" the hard core simmers are NOT the target of this game. If anything this game will be geared, as crazy as it sounds, as much as possible to the USA market, as they are the biggest consumers of video games.

Not even close to right. They will release it in the US I am sure, but that will be a very very minor market for a game like this, the huge sales will be europe, australasia, japan, south america. There, every F1 fan with a console WILL buy this, and many will buy a console to play it.

The US is a big market for games on the whol but for this, like the FIFA games, it is a secondary and unimportant market.

You are right that it will not be a sim fetishists dream, there are no sales in that, but it will likely have a 'sim' mode that is at least half decent from a sim racers perspective.

#221 SimMaker

SimMaker

• 771 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:47

Not even close to right. They will release it in the US I am sure, but that will be a very very minor market for a game like this, the huge sales will be europe, australasia, japan, south america. There, every F1 fan with a console WILL buy this, and many will buy a console to play it.

The US is a big market for games on the whol but for this, like the FIFA games, it is a secondary and unimportant market.

You are right that it will not be a sim fetishists dream, there are no sales in that, but it will likely have a 'sim' mode that is at least half decent from a sim racers perspective.

"Not even close to right. "

Hmmm... I've been in the games industry for 12 years, and have worked on a fair few of the most popular F1 sims and games.

What are your credentials?

#222 SimMaker

SimMaker

• 771 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:36

Upon reflection, let me explain where I am coming from re: American Market.

For American Market, substitute Casual Gamer if it helps to understnd the issues better.

As we can see from these boards, most fans of F1 who also play F1 games, want some form of "simulation". You might maybe think that it would be in the interests of a company like Codemasters to make a game for us, the fans of F1 who WILL go out and buy this game as it is for the sport we love. So, why no simulation then?

The brutal truth is, we, the fans of F1 who have followed it for years, are NOT, FACT, the main targets of this game. The casual gamer is, the general gaming market. As such, it will be as accesable as possible and appeal to the widest gaming public that it can. In reality, that means whatever the American games market might want, we aim for. Its where the money is, and as I said, for games firms, its all about money. So, ease of use, fun, accesability, not too hard, anyone can play , etc.

When I first started out, I worked on helicopter sims. UK company, based in Oxford. Making a game about the British army and Lynx helicopters? No. British company making a game about American helicopters. The sequal? About futuristic American Helicopters.

Worked on a game for a firm in Cheltenham, about the emergency services. About our boys and girls in blue? the good old British Fire Brigade? Nope, was based on New York "Ladders", cops with guns, and money based ambulance services.

Worked on a game recently, UK firm again, the game stars a UK celebrity, where is the game being set? You geussed it, the USA.

its just the way it goes. Games firms want to appeal to the biggest market possible, and thats the States. But if it is easier to comprehend, call it "the casual gamer".

Edited by SimMaker, 23 July 2010 - 08:41.

#223 SimMaker

SimMaker

• 771 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:55

SimMaker you don't have to be so extreme. Saying the game is aimed at 8 year olds is just belittling to one of the better racing game studios out there.

And Sims and games are closer than you lot make out!! 10 years ago the difference between a sim and a game was a user created mod or two.

Stop putting words into my mouth.

I did not say it was AIMED at 8 year olds, I said they would want to make it so that 8 year olds CAN play it. Is an 8 year old going to want to tweek his wings, balance his tire temps, and pound out lap after lap on practice day to set up the car? Or is he going to want to pick it up with his mates and have a blast?

A console game is for people to gather around the TV with some friends and have great fun, and thats what Codies will be aiming for. And I'm sure they will get very close to the bullseye for what thy are aiming for. I'm just saying for hard core F1 fans, who in general want a simulation, this "game" is possibly not the best sollution to their needs.

There is something called rFactor Pro which some of the teams use. The difference is, instead of downlaoding some content a hobby builder made, they will spend a ton of money getting super hi res data, then run it through a bank of machines and massive rap around screens. And also they might rip out the core of it to replace with their own dynamics and software.

http://www.rfactor-pro.com/

If you want a sim, closest thing you can get at home right now, is rFactor in my view. Its what some of the teams use after all (or a version of).....But even so, they will be running it on a bank of machines, with ultra hi res track data which, chances are, would'nt even run very well on an average home PC.

#224 pRy

pRy

• 10,920 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:17

Is there really a demand for a simulator game? I'm not sure what the demand is for one really.

#225 SimMaker

SimMaker

• 771 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:26

Is there really a demand for a simulator game? I'm not sure what the demand is for one really.

Exaclty right.

Codemasters will make far more money pitching this at the casual gamer, than they would the hard core peterol head.

When I was making these type of games, I/we used to jump up and down, wanting it to be a real hard core sim. But the powers that be wanted it to appeal to the wider gamer. Frankly, and after years of experience, I realised they were 100% right.

Just look at the interest levels for something like rFactor vs Codemasters. There is already a sim out there, which some of the teams use in one form or another. What better sim could fans want? Yet it is Codies game that is stealing all the headlines, and will cover the pages of gaming magazines.

Trust me, Codemsters know wat they are doing, and who their market is.

Thats why they are a company worth billions over the years. And ISI and IRacing who focus on the sim market, are not worth the same billions.

You pays your money you takes your choice. I will play Codies game with family and friends, and it will look bloody amzing and be great fun. When they all go home, and I want to get nerdy and bang out some laps, and race some serious competitors, I will go back to the Sims.

No need to fight over it, I'm just saying how it is.

#226 pRy

pRy

• 10,920 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:21

Yup.. F1 2010 will always be a "pick up and have a quick blast" type game for me if I buy it. Just something to play each weekend the F1 is on but nothing serious. I won't sit there messing with setups too much and the races will only be 15% or something like that for me.

Whatever happened to that uber sim that was being developed that was said to have the most advanced physics ever seen in a PC game? They only ever released a few screenshots before I think the project was stopped. I can't even remember the name of it now.

#227 SimMaker

SimMaker

• 771 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:25

Yup.. F1 2010 will always be a "pick up and have a quick blast" type game for me if I buy it. Just something to play each weekend the F1 is on but nothing serious. I won't sit there messing with setups too much and the races will only be 15% or something like that for me.

Whatever happened to that uber sim that was being developed that was said to have the most advanced physics ever seen in agame PC ? They only ever released a few screenshots before I think the project was stopped. I can't even remember the name of it now.

Whatever happened to that uber sim that was being developed that was said to have the most advanced physics ever seen in agame PC .....?

Not sure I know what you are refering to, would like to hear/see more if you can find any info.

But as far as I am aware, (Sir) Geoff Crammond is still playing golf. :smoking:

Edited by SimMaker, 23 July 2010 - 11:19.

#228 karlth

karlth

• 16,248 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:56

Whatever happened to that uber sim that was being developed that was said to have the most advanced physics ever seen in a PC game? They only ever released a few screenshots before I think the project was stopped. I can't even remember the name of it now.

It was cancelled around 5 years ago.

#229 vtpachyderm

vtpachyderm

• 1,087 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:01

Interesting discussion going on here. IMHO this is easily demonstrated by comparing Forza with GTR's Race Pro. Both console games, one with a much more demanding handling model than the other with less 'tasty' graphics. You can guess which sold more. I've played both on the 360, and getting a good lap out of Race Pro is so much more satisfying than in Forza, yet I play Forza more given my time constraints as I found I have to invest more time (which I don't have) into Race Pro. Probably the same applies here to the F1 game.

Just my 13 øre (2 cents).

#230 SimMaker

SimMaker

• 771 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:34

Interesting discussion going on here. IMHO this is easily demonstrated by comparing Forza with GTR's Race Pro. Both console games, one with a much more demanding handling model than the other with less 'tasty' graphics. You can guess which sold more. I've played both on the 360, and getting a good lap out of Race Pro is so much more satisfying than in Forza, yet I play Forza more given my time constraints as I found I have to invest more time (which I don't have) into Race Pro. Probably the same applies here to the F1 game.

Just my 13 øre (2 cents).

The contribution was worth every penny. Spot on.

An extreme example maybe. But can anyone remember seeing the Williams simulator on TV a few years ago. It looked flaming awful, I can't even remember it reaching for "blue" as sky all I remember was an almost Tron like look to it. Any playstation 2 game would have dug it into the ground.. But it was'nt "pretty" they were after. It was data.

At the other extreme, you have Mario Karts (Or as Bernie calls it F1), where you have short cuts, magic mushrooms, bombs that don't kill, and a physics model to rival anything on magnetic rails, which is sold on Fun and being as pretty and cute to look at as possible. To hell with the data.

PC (and console) games are getting a lot closer to what the teams use, as it's obvious that some teams are using adapted versions of PC Simulators. And why not, you get some bloody clever people in the games business. But a serious business it is, and so Codies having a different market, goes at things a different way to achieve their goals. It's almost a bit like rocket science.

Edited by SimMaker, 23 July 2010 - 11:48.

#231 slideways

slideways

• 3,266 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:16

I'm just saying for hard core F1 fans, who in general want a simulation, this "game" is possibly not the best sollution to their needs.

For me F1 comes first so although a licensed modern F1 sim with a big studio budget would be perfect, I'll take a game (as long as the physics are ok and it's on PC).

#232 babbel

babbel
  • Racing Sims Host

• 2,329 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 13:00

It was called racing legends (link) and never really was serious. I think they were basically showing off renders so a publisher would pick it up.

#233 SimMaker

SimMaker

• 771 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 14:19

It was called racing legends (link) and never really was serious. I think they were basically showing off renders so a publisher would pick it up.

The models do look great. But yep, there is a world of difference between a render that can take many minutes/hours to render, and making it look like that at 60fps. I notice on the track shot. The tree walls are just that, walls. and everything else looks pretty basic too, certainly not on par with the car models.

#234 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 19:55

The models do look great. But yep, there is a world of difference between a render that can take many minutes/hours to render, and making it look like that at 60fps. I notice on the track shot. The tree walls are just that, walls. and everything else looks pretty basic too, certainly not on par with the car models.

WSC, their previous project before Racing Legends, which was also canned for some reason, didn't look bad at all... mind you this is more than 10 years old!

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#235 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 762 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:18

Whatever happened to that uber sim that was being developed that was said to have the most advanced physics ever seen in agame PC .....?

Not sure I know what you are refering to, would like to hear/see more if you can find any info.

But as far as I am aware, (Sir) Geoff Crammond is still playing golf. :smoking:

You know GC? Does he have any interest in ever coming back to the games market?

#236 SimMaker

SimMaker

• 771 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 13:22

You know GC? Does he have any interest in ever coming back to the games market?

Hello

Yes, I know him but not very well. I was at Microprose for GP3 and 4, and we were a seperate studio to where Crambo and his crew worked. A simple way to put it. He did the core code of the sim, and we built the game around it, Menus, Cars, Tracks, Graphics Engine and plugged it into his code to make a saleable product. He wafted into the office now and then and I met him on the M1 at 3 in the morning to drop off his brother in law after a trip to Monaco we did for reference. His car was faster than mine..... :| :smoking:

Last I heard, was that he is enjoying his free time, playing golf, but recently thought about doing something (physics code) new after a sporting injury he picked up kept him still for a few months. But I don 't think he likes the idea of getting invovled with the "games industry" any more. And a far as I am aware, he's back playing golf. Which is what we all aim for in the games industry, as it teaches us how to stand up agian after years sat on our arses thinking for a living.

#237 Redstorm

Redstorm

• 343 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:27

Hello

Yes, I know him but not very well. I was at Microprose for GP3 and 4, and we were a seperate studio to where Crambo and his crew worked. A simple way to put it. He did the core code of the sim, and we built the game around it, Menus, Cars, Tracks, Graphics Engine and plugged it into his code to make a saleable product. He wafted into the office now and then and I met him on the M1 at 3 in the morning to drop off his brother in law after a trip to Monaco we did for reference. His car was faster than mine..... :| :smoking:

Last I heard, was that he is enjoying his free time, playing golf, but recently thought about doing something (physics code) new after a sporting injury he picked up kept him still for a few months. But I don 't think he likes the idea of getting invovled with the "games industry" any more. And a far as I am aware, he's back playing golf. Which is what we all aim for in the games industry, as it teaches us how to stand up agian after years sat on our arses thinking for a living.

Absolute magic :rotfl: :rotfl:

#238 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:30

So, when's this game due out again?

Just so I can begin saving up for an Xbox or whatever to play it when it arrives.

#239 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,199 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:28

So, when's this game due out again?

Just so I can begin saving up for an Xbox or whatever to play it when it arrives.

24th September for us guys in the UK.

Extended Dev Diary 4 by the way will be available on http://www.youtube.c...er/formula1game in the next few hours.

Edited by D.M.N., 27 July 2010 - 10:29.

Advertisement

#240 SimMaker

SimMaker

• 771 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:05

Extended Dev Diary 4 by the way will be available on http://www.youtube.c...er/formula1game in the next few hours.

Hi D.M.N.

"24th September for us guys in the UK."

Is there a different release schedule worldwide?

#241 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:15

And sure enough, here it is:

#242 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,199 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:00

Hi D.M.N.

"24th September for us guys in the UK."

Is there a different release schedule worldwide?

I think America gets it on the 21st as Tuesday's is their release day for the week.

#243 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 19:40

"do F1 tyres screech around corners if the car is being driven aggressively in such ways?"

Oh yes, very much so. If their tires are not screeching as they go around the corners, they aint trying hard enough. And you can hear it if you are there. Especially places like Rascasse, where they are not hard on the throttle, but are certainly on the limits of grip.

I blame gran turismo for making me think that tyre screeching around a corner is a bad thing

#244 Viktor

Viktor

• 3,391 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 21:16

I think America gets it on the 21st as Tuesday's is their release day for the week.

It's only for games and demos that are sold online on PSN and XBox Live that Tuesday is the release day, normal boxed games can and are released any day of the week.

/Viktor

#245 SimMaker

SimMaker

• 771 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:28

Looking at that latest dev vid. It appears they have pretty full crowds, so maybe (hopefully) the early screens were just WIP shots with respect to crowd density. It certanly looks more "alive" now.

Good, leave the atmosphere free environments to the sims :) This Codemasters game must have atmos, and it looks like it does.

Looks great. The new benchmark for all track builders. :smoking:

#246 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,047 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 20:57

New "Live the life" dev diary out tomoz around 8am uk time, reeeeeesult!

#247 Pepsicoke

Pepsicoke

• 22 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 22:21

New "Live the life" dev diary out tomoz around 8am uk time, reeeeeesult!

Should be 2010 cars too!

#248 baddog

baddog

• 23,423 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:21

"Not even close to right. "

Hmmm... I've been in the games industry for 12 years, and have worked on a fair few of the most popular F1 sims and games.

What are your credentials?

In this case my credentials are, as you note in your next post, simply the ones being right in this case indicates ;)

The game WILL be casual friendly. If you had said that I would not have disagreed one iota, so we agree in substance.

It will not be american focused any more than FIFA is.. America is not a significant market for F1 games, as Im sure you would agree given that some have never been released there or recieved cursory and late releases.

#249 SimMaker

SimMaker

• 771 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:50

In this case my credentials are, as you note in your next post, simply the ones being right in this case indicates ;)

The game WILL be casual friendly. If you had said that I would not have disagreed one iota, so we agree in substance.

It will not be american focused any more than FIFA is.. America is not a significant market for F1 games, as Im sure you would agree given that some have never been released there or recieved cursory and late releases.

Yep, no worries. Poor choice of term on my part. It wont be Americanised, with fake Yankee drivers and such. lol. Would be too funny. But it will be simplified compared to a full simulator, it will be a proper "game" and aimed at the casual gamer in an effort to scoop up as many users Worldwide as possible. Appologies for any confusion/offence caused. :)

One thing I don't know yet. Is commentary? Is the Leg going to be doing commentary for the game? I seem to remember TV commentators being used in F1 games past. And with the Leg only having about 10 stock phrases (up the hill, around the corner, on a charge...etc) you'd think they could do a pretty realistic in game commentary.

Edited by SimMaker, 30 July 2010 - 06:51.

#250 baddog

baddog

• 23,423 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:42

Yep, no worries. Poor choice of term on my part. It wont be Americanised, with fake Yankee drivers and such. lol. Would be too funny. But it will be simplified compared to a full simulator, it will be a proper "game" and aimed at the casual gamer in an effort to scoop up as many users Worldwide as possible. Appologies for any confusion/offence caused. :)

One thing I don't know yet. Is commentary? Is the Leg going to be doing commentary for the game? I seem to remember TV commentators being used in F1 games past. And with the Leg only having about 10 stock phrases (up the hill, around the corner, on a charge...etc) you'd think they could do a pretty realistic in game commentary.

All cool.. and by the way thanks for your work on some bloody nice games in the past. Never got the chance to work on racing games myself.. spent a lot of time making sure cannon balls bounce properly though heh