Monza 2010 - Getting There!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gioginnelli

gioginnelli

• 2 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 14:12

Dear all,

The wife and I will be attending the Italian GP (3 day ticket) this year and will flying into Milan Malpensa airport on the Friday. Our expected arrival is about 8:30 in the morning. We need to get to central milan to drop off our bags at our hotel and get to monza station and then get the free bus/shuttle to the circuit. Can anyone shed any light on how long this will take? Will we make it for the F1 second practice at 2 pm as that's what time I'm aiming for? Also can someone tell me if the free shuttles from Monza railway station run on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday?

Many Thanks

GC

Advertisement

#2 F1Annie

F1Annie

• 160 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 20:36

Dear all,

The wife and I will be attending the Italian GP (3 day ticket) this year and will flying into Milan Malpensa airport on the Friday. Our expected arrival is about 8:30 in the morning. We need to get to central milan to drop off our bags at our hotel and get to monza station and then get the free bus/shuttle to the circuit. Can anyone shed any light on how long this will take? Will we make it for the F1 second practice at 2 pm as that's what time I'm aiming for? Also can someone tell me if the free shuttles from Monza railway station run on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday?

Many Thanks

GC

I have flown into Malpensa several times & always use the Malpensa Shuttle Bus. http://www.toandfrom....com/milan.html (scroll down to Malpensa) It picks up outside the Arrivals Hall & takes about an hour & stops beside Milan Central Station (Stazione Centrale) where you get the train to Monza train station where you get the free bus to the track.

The train from Milan to Monza takes about 20 minutes. http://www.ferrovied...omepage_en.html Mi C.le is Stazione Centrale. The free buses wait until they're full before setting off so it's difficult to say how long it takes - about 10 minutes. Parco di Monza is huge & it's about 2 miles from where the free bus drops you to Porta Vedano.

The free bus from Monza station runs Friday, Saturday and Sunday & there's also a free train from Centrale on race day which takes you to Lesmo.

Good luck!

#3 gioginnelli

gioginnelli

• 2 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 21:09

I have flown into Malpensa several times & always use the Malpensa Shuttle Bus. http://www.toandfrom....com/milan.html (scroll down to Malpensa) It picks up outside the Arrivals Hall & takes about an hour & stops beside Milan Central Station (Stazione Centrale) where you get the train to Monza train station where you get the free bus to the track.

The train from Milan to Monza takes about 20 minutes. http://www.ferrovied...omepage_en.html Mi C.le is Stazione Centrale. The free buses wait until they're full before setting off so it's difficult to say how long it takes - about 10 minutes. Parco di Monza is huge & it's about 2 miles from where the free bus drops you to Porta Vedano.

The free bus from Monza station runs Friday, Saturday and Sunday & there's also a free train from Centrale on race day which takes you to Lesmo.

Good luck!

Hey

Thanks for the break-down of times, hopefully we'll make it for 2, but getting time to fit in to eat etc may be difficult!

#4 pabloeldiablo

pabloeldiablo

• 23 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:20

It may be too late to change, but Malpensa is a lot further from the city centre. Milan Linate airport is very close to the city centre and would shave a bit of time off your trip. I went to Monza last year and we flew into Linate.

Friday and Saturday you can take the train to the Monza station and then take the free shuttle bus to the track. If you take the train to the Monza station, you have to pay for it. On the Sunday there is a free train from Milan Central Station to the racetrack. Just so you know, it goes direct from Milan central station to the track and doesn't stop at the Monza station. Instead it stops at the Biassimo Lesmo station. At least that's how it worked last year when we went to the race. Coming back we took the same train from the Lesmo station back to Milan, but this time it did stop at the Monza station to pick people up. I dont know if it's always like that.

We ended up doing a load more walking on the Sunday after taking the free train, uur seats were at the first corner (we got off the train at 11am at the Lesmo stop and didn't get to our seats till 1.15pm). Perhaps we didn't take the best route but in hindsight, we'd have been better off taking the train to Monza and the shuttle bus to the circuit. We did that on the Friday and it only took about 30 mins to get from where the bus dropped us off, until we were right in at the track at the grandstand on the start/finish straight. I want to go to Monza this year again and i think I'd take the train/shuttle bus combo if possible.

Great track, I loved being there. This year I'm hoping to go over earlier and get more time at the track for the pitlane walks etc.