Photo

1975 Opel Commodore race car

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 gypseywilson

gypseywilson

• 13 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 19:55

Hi to all of you with long memories!! I've just bought an ex Jock Robertson, Mayfair magazine sponsored Commodore GS/E built by Andy Rouse which I intend to restore.All I need from you is photos,spec sheets,homologation papers etc. Really anything that may be useful to me to get it back to how it was. Thanks in anticipation!!!!

Advertisement

#2 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 20:26

Have a look here for starters :)

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=125220

PAR

#3 gypseywilson

gypseywilson

• 13 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 20:31

Have a look here for starters :)

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=125220

PAR

Cheers Phil, seen that already ta but the one picture I have looks like the one you took of Tony's but the base colour is dark blue and doesn't match up with any of the cars on that thread. Thanks anyway.

#4 gypseywilson

gypseywilson

• 13 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 23:17

Here's how it looked 30 years ago
Posted Image

#5 Leigh Trevail

Leigh Trevail

• 553 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 16:15

Classic and Sportscar November 1985 has a two page article on the Commodore coupe, it includes a photo of Robinson racing.
Gypsey When you get the car home can we see more photos!

#6 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,324 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:32

I've just posted a picture of Pete Hall's Andy Rouse-built Commodore on the other thread (along with some others) - quite possibly the same car and I will ask Pete for some more details when I next speak to him.

#7 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 13:23

I've just posted a picture of Pete Hall's Andy Rouse-built Commodore on the other thread (along with some others) - quite possibly the same car and I will ask Pete for some more details when I next speak to him.

I was the initial bidder and had a long chat with the seller who was a nice guy. It is not the Pete Hall car. The names connected to it in Willhire and elsewhere were Paul Everet, Jock Robinson, McHale, Juliet Slaughter and Mark Timlet. Apparently it was fuel injected and I rather regret being cheap and dropping out when I did! I think it could be a great project

#8 gypseywilson

gypseywilson

• 13 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 20:21

Classic and Sportscar November 1985 has a two page article on the Commodore coupe, it includes a photo of Robinson racing.
Gypsey When you get the car home can we see more photos!

Hi, Tried to get a copy of "Classic and Sportscar" from the back issues department but they don't have any left. Is it just a road test of a road car with a picture of the race car or is there any information about the car I've bought? Cheers Steve.

#9 Leigh Trevail

Leigh Trevail

• 553 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 20:24

No not a road test but a brief history of the car, its engine, and the racing. The car in the photo looks to me to be a lighter colour than yours; so I assume that it is the golden version. In my shed there is a pile of old C&S's and when I get time I will see if there is a copy that you can have, but don't hold your breath!

Edited by Leigh Trevail, 09 April 2010 - 06:32.

#10 gypseywilson

gypseywilson

• 13 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 20:36

Cheers Leigh, I've only just unloaded it and had a closer look..........my,my, it has had a fairly hard life!!! I'll put some more pictures up in a day or two.There's no rush for the magazine if you have one, I think the car's going to be here for a while. Cheers Steve.

#11 gypseywilson

gypseywilson

• 13 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 18:07

This is how it looked before it went into a lockup in the early 90's.
Posted Image

#12 gypseywilson

gypseywilson

• 13 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 21:31

One or two underbonnet and interior shots.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 22:24

Looks like some one has their work cut out :-)

Look forward to seeing how this progresses :-)

Good luck :-)

#14 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:13

after seeing that I don't feel so bad about being the underbidder!! good luck and look forward to seeing it out

#15 gypseywilson

gypseywilson

• 13 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:44

Just to bring this story up to date......I ran out of cash and time to finish this one so sold it to my friend Martyn Spurrell.Second time out this weekend at the Members Meeting at Goodwood!