Photo

Early air-cooled Yams

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 20:17

I found this interesting site showing the first of the horizontally split Yams http://www.classicya...8/tr1-1967.html

I have a couple of YR3 motors to play with so we might get a passable replica though I don't think the RD56 frame is worth replicating. Anyone know much about the early aircooled ones? :wave:

David

Advertisement

#2 pushstart

pushstart

• 86 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 18:53

Weren't the old air cooled yams vertically split?! I had a TD2B and I'm sure this was vertical split crankcases. I remember it being a bit awkward to work on when I broke the crankshaft and had to take the thing apart. I was never any good at mechanics and it just wasn't the same after that. :confused:

#3 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 19:09

Weren't the old air cooled yams vertically split?! I had a TD2B and I'm sure this was vertical split crankcases. I remember it being a bit awkward to work on when I broke the crankshaft and had to take the thing apart. I was never any good at mechanics and it just wasn't the same after that. :confused:

...and the TR2 wasn't, or was it the other way around.

#4 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 19:17

The 350 was the first horizontally based on the YR1, the early 250 was indeed vertically split until the DS7 came out in 1970 and was a TD2 as far as I know? The DS7 and YR5 cases were a bit different and the frame was different being the forunner of the TD3 and TR3 before the TZs came out. So the early 350s don't fit the TZ/DS7/RD frame (too long). I'm still fiddling with bits but I have a DS6 too. I got rid of the YM1s (305cc) I had due to the clutch being on the crank like the TD1c. Confusing isn''t it?

David

#5 ex Rhodie racer 2

ex Rhodie racer 2

• 1,140 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 22:48

I was once the proud owner of a TD1C. What a great cycle that was. Very advanced for it´s time, and even though I never won anything on it, in the right hands they were practically unbeatable. I am almost sure I have a few pics of the bike in the attic which I shall seek out and scan.

#6 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 19:51

I'm just put off by the clutch whizzing around at crank speed Rhodie :wave: :rolleyes: That and the vertically split cases, almost impossible to get apart (bolt are deep inside recessed holes and are damned phillips heads) so the horizontal ones are for me! I think the Suzukis are probably a bit more reliable and bits easier to come by.

I think Yamanatic (Warren) has one up in Wisconsin :wave: :clap: He's got a TZ750 too!!! :clap:

David

#7 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:07

Here's an interesting one starting up! :wave:

http://www.youtube.c...emp-real_rev-rn

and another

David

Edited by Coupe Kawasaki, 19 March 2010 - 03:11.

#8 SADBATCCM

SADBATCCM

• 797 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:13

Here's an interesting one starting up! :wave:

http://www.youtube.c...emp-real_rev-rn

and another

David

Can't use the link's at work :evil: :stoned:

hi all ... all in bed tut tut !!!!!

Edited by SADBATCCM, 19 March 2010 - 03:17.

#9 mba21

mba21

• 798 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:45

Can't use the link's at work :evil: :stoned:

hi all ... all in bed tut tut !!!!!

This is pure music to my ears
:wave: :wave: music to wake up too. :rolleyes:

Maybe thats why I have Tinnitus :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edited by mba21, 19 March 2010 - 07:53.

#10 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 18:22

It certainly is nice to wake up to....A bit like being out on the airfield circuits and hearing the two strokes shattering the peaceful sound of the skylarks as the paddock wakes up. I miss that contrast :(

David

#11 Ronaldo

Ronaldo

• 95 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:44

Enclose a couple of pics of my TD1B that I bought in 1971; my first actual racer to replace my CB77 Honda.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bought this from a guy in Markyate, near St. Albans for £215. Quite a shock to ride after the Honda and I had no idea what I was letting myself in for.

It was ultra peaky not only due to the barrell porting but also I think due to the huge carbs and the central matchbox type remote float. The crankshaft mounted clutch worked like an on/off switch and was impossible to slip, so getting under way was a case of paddling along as fast as you could and giving it a huge amount of throttle.

It was not too reliable as it broke crankpins on three occasions and the frame was always cracking. Luckily I could fix it myself, forever brazing the frame and rebuilding the engine. The vertically split cases would come apart and go back quite easily by heating them in the oven and when rebuilding, putting the crank in the freezer.

After half a season of constant struggle with the reliability, a bought a YDS3 road engine from Jack Paddock breakers in Walthamstow and fitted that. Kept the magneto and expansion chambers so it still made all the right sounds but at least was tractable and reliable at last but a bit slow.

It was eventually replaced with a TD2.

#12 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 17:19

Blimey Peter! how long did you use that helmet for!! The one with USA flag on it? Made to last in those days!

#13 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 20:07

They do look a bit archaic to work :wave: on, I think you need to know what you're doing with those early Yams, put me off keeping one!The frames rust through too as I found out!
Is that a CB77 based racer Peter?

yes if you have a bump now they don't let you wear it again Phil:rolleyes:

David

#14 Ronaldo

Ronaldo

• 95 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:50

Helmet was of course a Bell Star bought at Les Leston's in Finchley Road, North London when they first became available here, which was probably 1969. Cost a fortune then, £15.00, and I used it for ten years. It got bashed about a bit but always passed the scrute.

Honda was standard road bike 1964 model with super race seat and ace bars bought very cheaply from Jim Wells motorcycle empoium in Romford Road. Was fast enough for me and electric start guaranteed a swift getaway, even in open races, he he!

#15 Ronaldo

Ronaldo

• 95 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:59

Addendum

Graham, the USA flag was put on by a mate when the helemt was new. I wasn't too pleased about it but it wouldn't come off.

David, yes Honda is CB77 305cc. Beautifully made, reliable and nice to ride.

Best wishes, Peter.

#16 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 00:02

Addendum

Graham, the USA flag was put on by a mate when the helemt was new. I wasn't too pleased about it but it wouldn't come off.

David, yes Honda is CB77 305cc. Beautifully made, reliable and nice to ride.

Best wishes, Peter.

Hi Peter :wave: Sorry I missed this...the old bonce doesn't work properly all of the time :rotfl: :rotfl:

I rather liked my friends CB72 (as a road bike) I seem to remember someone taking the 305 out to a full 350 and I quite like the US flag Graham (well I would wouldn't I living out here :) )

David

#17 malcolmgb

malcolmgb

• 9 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 22:11

I rather liked my friends CB72 (as a road bike) I seem to remember someone taking the 305 out to a full 350

Read's in London did a 350 kit (Read Titan)

#18 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 22:15

I had a kit from them that was 325 for the CB and that went well with the 250 head and the '68 cams. Went on the train to pick up the kit from them in Stratford (London) I think :)

David

#19 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 22:22

I had a kit from them that was 325 for the CB and that went well with the 250 head and the '68 cams. Went on the train to pick up the kit from them in Stratford (London) I think :)

David

Leytonstone , actually , Dawn :rolleyes:

Advertisement

#20 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 22:25

Yes the High Road Flipper :wave:

#21 lukebaby

lukebaby

• 75 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:52

The TD3 was the first 250 with a horizontally split crankase :) Yamaha that is.

Edited by lukebaby, 01 May 2010 - 04:53.

#22 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:57

Yes it was based on a DS7 Luke, anyone have any cylinders as the frame is the same too :clap:

David

Edited by Coupe Kawasaki, 01 May 2010 - 05:58.