Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:26

Well, that move on Micheal is Barri's greatest career moment. j/k

Advertisement

#5352 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,412 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:33

That´s true, still that does not discredit the good result of a driver in the 2010s, whether he accidentally has chosen the right set-up or he really felt that would be the way to go (can you judge the decision process of a driver from a distance, Garth?).

What I was getting at was not the fact that now it is more a lottery to get the right set-up, but the way of discrediting the achievement of a driver with the right set-up (it can also go wrong with even the right set-up, remember Alonso). Also, other drivers are free as well to chose e.g. wet set-up.

If you go down that lane you end up excusing the two victories of Button this year by saying: "he just was lucky to make the right calls". Well, that´s one part of the equation only, second part is you have to make it stick as well.

From what I have seen in 2010 Rosberg was better than Schumacher more often than not both in making the right calls and in making it stick.

Yes, well, on the specfics of the race at Belgium I thought both did well. Schumacher clearly benefited from having the dry setup during that phase of the race (the majority) and Rosberg vice versa. Overall I was more impressed with Schumcher, who despite starting a long way off his team mate finished a short way off him, than Rosberg, who was 100% at fault for the end plate/tyre contact IMO.

On the whole season, obviously Rosberg has been the better driver. I'm not sure anyone would dispute that.

#5353 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:36

there are FOURTY pages of this cack in the dedicated thread, you really think that didn't cover it well enough?

So why offer your opinion then?

#5354 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:42

Yes, well, on the specfics of the race at Belgium I thought both did well. Schumacher clearly benefited from having the dry setup during that phase of the race (the majority) and Rosberg vice versa. Overall I was more impressed with Schumcher, who despite starting a long way off his team mate finished a short way off him, than Rosberg, who was 100% at fault for the end plate/tyre contact IMO.

On the whole season, obviously Rosberg has been the better driver. I'm not sure anyone would dispute that.

Obviously Mercedes does have a great team driver-wise, and Spa has always been one of Schumacher´s highlights. In fact, even the greatest Schumacher friends would have been disappointed had Michael shown badly in Spa.

What I was stressing is that you can´t have double standards.

Yet with MSC double standards seem to be the norm, both what concerns his performances lately as well as what concerns his behaviour on the track for throughout his career.
Michael must have had lots of spare good karma, but sooner or later, even the strongest reserves can dwindle.

#5355 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,412 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:45

Yet with MSC double standards seem to be the norm, both what concerns his performances lately as well as what concerns his behaviour on the track for throughout his career.

I don't think MSC is special in having elements of his fan base that are like that. Particularly amongst succesful drivers.

#5356 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:51

I don't think MSC is special in having elements of his fan base that are like that. Particularly amongst succesful drivers.

That´s true, to a degree.

Take Alonso fans for example. Now that Alonso is not doing so well they are a little less loud-mouthed in their defense of Fernando. Contrary to that, Schumacher fans are very loyal, even when their idol is not doing well.

Well then, even I am loyal in criticising Schumacher, :lol: , and as we know from the teams that MSC has worked with, Michael is instigating loyalty with everyone he works with. So that´s a great quality then, and Michael might author a self-help book on "How can I create more loyalty in people around me".

:lol:

#5357 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:59

Michael fans are strong in their "fight" with guys who criticize him ,just because he give them strong weapons at their disposal. It is not hard to defend the Best statistical driver in F1. It is like to take candy from a kid. :rotfl:

Edited by ivand911, 08 September 2010 - 11:21.

#5358 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:09

Michael fans are strong in their "fight" with guys who criticize him ,just because he give them strong weapons at their disposal. It is not hard to defend the Best statistic driver in F1. It is like to take candy from a kid. :rotfl:

Good one, Ivan - Michael is a statistic driver!

Michael is also giving strong weapons to those who don´t see eye to eye with him! :lol:

Goes together with what I said about building loyalty. Michael is giving strong tools to both sides, and thus keeps them involved. And he is a natural, not that he did it with calculation. It is only his self-interest that Michael is serving.

#5359 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:25

Sir Stirling Moss is absolutely right, Schumacaher IS a dirty driver, and it's the error of our age. To safe for them who drive in they're minds....

And dirty drivers never turn in fair one's, they will never change as well, like Moss said. In his time, those drity drivers just vanished at some point.
Nowadays they seem to be the comback-kid or ehm, comeback/granddad with a Merc.

Michael will never learn it, he won't even see it himself like it is I'm afraid.... oh well, nothing new under this Sun.

Advertisement

#5360 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 13:08

NOVEMBER 13, 1995
... and plans early retirement

MICHAEL SCHUMACHER says that he isn't planning to get old in Formula 1 racing. The 26-year-old double World Champion says he is not going to hang around in Grand Prix racing like many of the previous F1 generation.

"I would say that I'm going to stay another five years," he told pressmen in Australia, "but I'm not going to get old in F1. Whether it will be five years or four or six I'm not sure yet."

In recent years F1 drivers have tended to retire late with the likes of Keke Rosberg, Emerson Fittipaldi, Niki Lauda, Nigel Mansell, Alain Prost, Nelson Piquet and Alan Jones all being in their mid-late 30s or older when they decided to hang up their helmets in F1. In the 1970s, retirements tended to be earlier: Jody Scheckter stopping at 30, James Hunt at 32 and Jackie Stewart at 34.

Schumacher said that his chief motivation is to "have fun."
http://grandprix.com/ns/ns00362.html

Our Michael , he always keep his promise. He just want to have fun. :)

#5361 Polle

Polle

• 292 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 13:27

Moss has always been critical and unfavorable towards Schumacher. Totally over the top like Lauda at times. I always like Brundle's takes on Schumacher. Very critical of Schumacher's antics, *when he does it* but at the same time, kind of admires him for his talent.

#5362 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 15:43

NOVEMBER 13, 1995
... and plans early retirement

MICHAEL SCHUMACHER says that he isn't planning to get old in Formula 1 racing. The 26-year-old double World Champion says he is not going to hang around in Grand Prix racing like many of the previous F1 generation.

"I would say that I'm going to stay another five years," he told pressmen in Australia, "but I'm not going to get old in F1. Whether it will be five years or four or six I'm not sure yet."

In recent years F1 drivers have tended to retire late with the likes of Keke Rosberg, Emerson Fittipaldi, Niki Lauda, Nigel Mansell, Alain Prost, Nelson Piquet and Alan Jones all being in their mid-late 30s or older when they decided to hang up their helmets in F1. In the 1970s, retirements tended to be earlier: Jody Scheckter stopping at 30, James Hunt at 32 and Jackie Stewart at 34.

Schumacher said that his chief motivation is to "have fun."
http://grandprix.com/ns/ns00362.html

Our Michael , he always keep his promise. He just want to have fun. :)

Interesting, I never knew he had such 'short' ambitions for the Ferrari tenure.

Obviously, he had a radical re-think after all the success and winning formula was in place (not to mention the $100,000 a day salary).

#5363 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 15:53

Interesting, I never knew he had such 'short' ambitions for the Ferrari tenure.

Obviously, he had a radical re-think after all the success and winning formula was in place (not to mention the $100,000 a day salary).

This is maybe one of the most amazing records that Schumi holds: the $100.000 a day salary!

That´s $4.166,67 per hour, no matter if he worked in that hour or slept, or $69,44 per minute. Love him or loathe him, to be able to extract such salary is indeed admirable.
And surely convincing enough to carry on in the sport. Well, in 2000, when he announced the "era Ferrari", these thoughts Michael seems to have had in 1995 were well past Michael.

#5364 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 16:09

Will be interesting to see if the FIA will take a tougher stance on "on track violence" for not being an ambassador of driving as well:

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/86472

In the future, Schumi will not be able to highjack a taxi so easily and race it to the Munich´s "Franz-Josef-Strauss" Airport or it will cost him his superlicence. Also, if they take that stance for behaviour at F1 races as well, MSC might lose his super license and Sir Stirling may have his wish fulfilled.

#5365 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 16:21

Will be interesting to see if the FIA will take a tougher stance on "on track violence" for not being an ambassador of driving as well:

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/86472

In the future, Schumi will not be able to highjack a taxi so easily and race it to the Munich´s "Franz-Josef-Strauss" Airport or it will cost him his superlicence. Also, if they take that stance for behaviour at F1 races as well, MSC might lose his super license and Sir Stirling may have his wish fulfilled.

The only thing that Sir Stirling needs to focus on is upgrading his eye glasses prescription so he doesn't walk into - and fall down - an empty elevator shaft next time. :lol:

(Sorry Aditya, I couldn't resist hehe )

Edited by Ferrari_F1_fan_2001, 08 September 2010 - 16:23.

#5366 Cheap Wine Alesi

Cheap Wine Alesi

• 2,723 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 18:39

The only thing that Sir Stirling needs to focus on is upgrading his eye glasses prescription so he doesn't walk into - and fall down - an empty elevator shaft next time. :lol:

Moss might need that, but he is still in a better state than someone whose chin gets in the way of the brake pedal and crashes into the wall, breaking his legs :rotfl: :rotfl:

:rolleyes:

#5367 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 18:44

Moss might need that, but he is still in a better state than someone whose chin gets in the way of the brake pedal and crashes into the wall, breaking his legs :rotfl: :rotfl:

Still isn't as bad as walking into an empty elevator shaft and then falling 20ft.

*childish mode off*

#5368 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,329 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 18:52

Wow Moss said something negative again what a surprise.

Good old sir stirling moss never fails to deliver. He needs to remember the sport has changed a lot since he retired and he should accept that. Everything changes whether it's for the good or the bad that's different for everybody.

#5369 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 18:57

Maybe,this is what you need to win 5 consecutive titles? :rotfl: To Break a leg. :clap:

Edited by ivand911, 08 September 2010 - 18:58.

#5370 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 19:37

Did I notice some mischievousness there?
 ;)

#5371 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 19:43

Maybe,this is what you need to win 5 consecutive titles? :rotfl: To Break a leg. :clap:

Then time for Michael to break his legs again for the next 5 titles!

:clap:

#5372 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 20:24

Michael interview in GQ:
http://www.gq-magazi...10/09/08/22791/
http://translate.goo...&...2F08/22791/
Focus on Michael interview please. :)

#5373 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 20:42

Focus on Michael interview please. :)

Posted Image

Actually I rather focus on his beautiful sunglasses and cool outfit!

#5374 dav115

dav115

• 722 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 21:20

Moss might need that, but he is still in a better state than someone whose chin loosens a bleed nipple on the rear braking circuit and crashes into the wall, breaking his legs :rotfl: :rotfl:

Fixed that for you :).

#5375 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 21:28

Posted Image

Actually I rather focus on his beautiful sunglasses and cool outfit!

LOL although the sunnies are better than those ugly white ones he normally wears

#5376 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 21:41

LOL although the sunnies are better than those ugly white ones he normally wears

sad thing is his ridiculous outfits probably cost more than most of us make in a month

#5377 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 22:01

he should be excused - he is German. I have b een to Germany, I have a German sister in law - fashion isn't their strong point!

#5378 baddog

baddog

• 24,035 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 22:19

He would not be out of place in summer in any german city as raelene says .. but damned if that is going to stop it being funny ;)

#5379 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 22:30

He would not be out of place in summer in any german city as raelene says .. but damned if that is going to stop it being funny ;)

That´s the fact - you will see many A type male Germans in the summer in the city just looking like this. It is funny indeed, even if you get used to it. It does not show a special sense of aesthetics, though.

Advertisement

#5380 Clatter

Clatter

• 28,130 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 22:52

That´s the fact - you will see many A type male Germans in the summer in the city just looking like this. It is funny indeed, even if you get used to it. It does not show a special sense of aesthetics, though.

:o Is the German fashion sense really that bad?

#5381 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 22:55

Well, you decide. Of course, Michael Schumacher is an especially fine specimen of German fashion sense....

http://forums.autosp...p;hl=schumacher

#5382 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 23:02

Fragile aren't we?

You're saying that Barrichello is ENTIRELY innocent and blameless? There was no agenda involved on his part? Barrichello was wound up and it was upmanship and vindication on his part for the ass-whooping he got from Michael for 6 years.

If he hadn't come within inches of the wall, I bet he would have blown his load in the car immediately afterwards. :rotfl:

I think if Rubens wouldn´t have gone for it he wouldn´t have the right to call himself a racing driver anymore. You have to go for a gap, as already Ayrton Senna was teaching. So if Rubens goes for a gap, and Michael closes it all the way till mere inches besides the pitwall, like no one has ever done before, who is the culprit then?

Also, your choice of words in the last sentence of your post does nothing to prove the truth of the statement above. It is just arguing like you would find in any pub of the world, using strong words to prove the point.

On a side note, your humor with Sir Stirling falling into the elevator shaft had me cracking up the whole day. Talk about mischievousness!

#5383 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 23:14

YES

#5384 baddog

baddog

• 24,035 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 23:41

They also follow rules. While we were there, on one exact day in October, every single person in Nuremberg put away their summer clothes and wore boots, big coats and the like until May. The day before you got on a train and it was tshirts and bright colours, the next morrning black, brown, leather, fur-trimmed collars the lot. I assume they have it marked on a calendar everyone gets or something because it was downright eerie.

Edited by baddog, 08 September 2010 - 23:44.

#5385 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 23:59

They also follow rules. While we were there, on one exact day in October, every single person in Nuremberg put away their summer clothes and wore boots, big coats and the like until May. The day before you got on a train and it was tshirts and bright colours, the next morrning black, brown, leather, fur-trimmed collars the lot. I assume they have it marked on a calendar everyone gets or something because it was downright eerie.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

:up:

#5386 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 00:16

Posted Image

Schumacher says he has a knack for shoes, he loves shoes and has many more than his wife, but less than Imelda Marcos.

On Michael´s sense of fashion, in his own words:

"I have never let myself be forced into clothes that I don´t like. I always decide very freely what I like and what not. I am, even if I wear the "Jet Set" marquee, not a typical representative of the jet set. But I think that I am a modern version of it."

So it is official, no one choses for Michael his wonderful wardrobe, he does it all by himself. Some cryptic words here, that he is not typical jet set, but a modern version....

#5387 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 00:39

I like the stuff he has in on that photo - the glasses jacket and white pants

I think that's the first time I've ever said I liked what he was wearing

#5388 SparkPlug

SparkPlug

• 491 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:02

i seem to recall estoril 96 only schumacher and herbert had full wet set ups, the rest of the grid was intermediate, didn't stop that drive becoming part of the legend.

I also seem to recall Senna had TC and his main rivals Williams had loads of problems in Donnington 93, didnt stop that drive from becoming part of legend either .

PS : Estoril 96 ? That was the race in which Villeneuve overtook Schumacher around the outside, in a dry race. Doesnt seem to me like a legendary performance.
:rotfl:

Atleast get your races right when you're bashing. Its BARCELONA

Edited by SparkPlug, 09 September 2010 - 02:05.

#5389 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:19

I also seem to recall Senna had TC and his main rivals Williams had loads of problems in Donnington 93, didnt stop that drive from becoming part of legend either .

PS : Estoril 96 ? That was the race in which Villeneuve overtook Schumacher around the outside, in a dry race. Doesnt seem to me like a legendary performance.

Yes, wasn't that a great race, when Villeneuve overtook MSC on the outside in Estoril?

#5390 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,322 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:01

http://en.espnf1.com...tory/27557.html

Stirling Moss: Michael Schumacher should have been banned for a year.

Moss is a moron, or it's just an old-age dementia mixed with the good old germaophobia...

I find it difficult to talk seriously the opinion of a man who walked into - and then fell down - and empty elevator shaft.

lol

10 points! :D

Edited by Tarzaan, 09 September 2010 - 08:57.

#5391 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:19

aditya: :p

#5392 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:27

Something better: Schumacher vs Villeneuve Barcelona 1996
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#5393 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,054 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:40

Something better: Schumacher vs Villeneuve Barcelona 1996
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Really? Something better? MS on a full wet setup passing rookie JV on a dry set up down the inside under brakes in the rain is better? :rolleyes:

Its a move that happens every friggin wet race. MS has done a heck of a lot better then that. A lot lot better!

#5394 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,708 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:56

You're right, Barcelona, argument remains. When all of your rivals are on a drenched track on intermediate set ups and you're the only man on a full wet set up, it's strange to claim it's the drive of a lifetime.

#5395 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:58

Really? Something better? MS on a full wet setup passing rookie JV on a dry set up down the inside under brakes in the rain is better? :rolleyes:

Its a move that happens every friggin wet race. MS has done a heck of a lot better then that. A lot lot better!

But ,you think that you can compare Williams 1996 with Ferrari 1996 in Estoril race?

#5396 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:01

You're right, Barcelona, argument remains. When all of your rivals are on a drenched track on intermediate set ups and you're the only man on a full wet set up, it's strange to claim it's the drive of a lifetime.

First, why they are on intermediate? Did they improve with full wet tyres?

#5397 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,708 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:02

First, why they are on intermediate? Did they improve with full wet tyres?

It wasn't intermediate tyres, it was an intermediate set up as the grid gambled on a drying track. Alesi, one of the best wet weather drivers on the grid was aquaplaning on the cars plank because the ride hight was too low.

#5398 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,708 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:07

forgot to include in my last post, the 93 williams also had traction control so i can't see how senna had an advantage over them in that regard.

#5399 Massa

Massa

• 5,194 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:07

And what? Why did they start on intermediate setup??? The best driver make always the good choice. And monaco 97, hungary 98, austria 03, spa 95, shows that this schumacher was a pure genius.

Advertisement

#5400 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:28

Wasn't that also not a bit Brawn's fault Massa? :rolleyes: