• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#501 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 23:44

Handbags at dawn :lol:

http://www.jamesalle...ew-hostilities/

Ok so now that James Allen has said this does that mean that the biggest critiques of this info when it was presented a few days ago will change their views, perhaps even retract their attacks??? :wave:

Advertisement

#502 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,486 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 00:51

His performance is difficult to judge...

On raw pace and race pace he has been 2-3 tenths maximum of Nico, and for 3 years out that is very impressive, considering Nico imo is perhaps one of most under-rated drivers. Anyone who's anyone in F1 rate Nico, and for me thats enough. So looking at it that way you have to say Schumacher's performance so far has been okay, but not great.

Then theres this way to look at it... Pedro de la Rosa has done 9 races since the end of 2002. Yes he has been a test driver, but then again Schumacher had a full 2006 season and the odd test day here and there, and like pedro a full winter program this year but Pedro seems to be as he was. He is as quick, if not quicker than his team-mate.

Now Schumacher being a 7time world champion has more expectation, and rightfully so and compared against Pedro, imo Schumacher has looked poor.

And who is Pedro's teamate? A guy with what, four Grand Prixs experience? Not exactly Rosberg is he?

#503 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 1,190 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 00:56

And who is Pedro's teamate? A guy with what, four Grand Prixs experience? Not exactly Rosberg is he?

I think the real story to come out of Melbourne was the second practice session. Schumacher was posting quick times (top three at that stage) in the wet when the fastest times had been posted in the dry. I was falling asleep in the stand and this was enough to wake me up. There would have been about ten laps worth of the race near the beginning where there were similar conditions, so he at least had a chance then. There's something there, and Bahrain showed Schumacher can drive a solid race. In Melbourne he showed he was still quick in the car. Now he just needs to put it all together. It will happen.

#504 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:23

Ross Brawn thinks Michael is going to enjoy helping Merc get back to the front :)

"I’m a keen fisherman as you know and there’s this story about a guy who turned up at a trout stream and just started catching massive fish every cast and realised it wasn’t enjoyable anymore,” Brawn said in Melbourne.

“The fun comes in the challenge; the fun comes in achieving something.

“And I think if Michael just stepped into a car that was perfect and he ran away with the championship, I don’t think he would enjoy himself as much as he’s going to enjoy himself helping us put the team where we need to be.”

http://www.itv-f1.co...e.aspx?id=48101

Edited by merschu, 01 April 2010 - 07:24.

#505 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,486 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:33

I think the real story to come out of Melbourne was the second practice session. Schumacher was posting quick times (top three at that stage) in the wet when the fastest times had been posted in the dry. I was falling asleep in the stand and this was enough to wake me up. There would have been about ten laps worth of the race near the beginning where there were similar conditions, so he at least had a chance then. There's something there, and Bahrain showed Schumacher can drive a solid race. In Melbourne he showed he was still quick in the car. Now he just needs to put it all together. It will happen.

Agreed. Nicely stated.

#506 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,486 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:34

Ross Brawn thinks Michael is going to enjoy helping Merc get back to the front :)

http://www.itv-f1.co...e.aspx?id=48101

that's a great quote from Ross B. :up:

#507 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:10

Ross Brawn is a rare breed of "good Englishman". :D

The man is internationally travelled, and realises that there is another World aside of British Dominion. I am quite thankful to him that he has facilitated Michael's return.

#508 robracer

robracer

• 1,028 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:14

i'm not ignoring it ....

but if you are not going to agree with: "the extra stop & being at P20 did him in.", then I don't think we'll ever agree on the sky being above our heads.

even Lewis said in relation to his race the extra stop did him in.

I do agree with you that the extra stop on lap 1 did his race no good, that's obvious to anyone who can think, but on the restart Alonso was at the back with Michael because he too was involved at turn 1, and he had no problem driving through the field whereas Michael made little progress in comparison.

I just don't understand how you can honestly say to yourselve that Michael had to pace to be top 3 or 4 when ignoring the turn 1 incident.

#509 Pizdek

Pizdek

• 291 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:16

Ross Brawn is a rare breed of "good Englishman". :D

The man is internationally travelled, and realises that there is another World aside of British Dominion. I am quite thankful to him that he has facilitated Michael's return.

Reading your post every day it seems like you hate your own country. Is that true?

#510 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,765 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:17

Reading your post every day it seems like you hate your own country. Is that true?

Why does loving the world mean you hate the country you live in? Surely we should all love the planet we live on.

#511 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,598 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:18

:D he is not a Brit

#512 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:22

This is OT, but I love world in which people get along. Not necessarilly love each other, but be civil with each other. Born and educated in Europe, lived and worked also in Africa, Americas, and Japan. What can I say...?

#513 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,598 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:25

This is OT, but I love world in which people get along. Not necessarilly love each other, but be civil with each other. Born and educated in Europe, lived and worked also in Africa, Americas, and Japan. What can I say...?

Should be normal for everyone, though getting to know the world somewhat certainly helps. :up:

#514 Pizdek

Pizdek

• 291 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:30

Okey then, youre not an englishman but it seem you dont like them to much like the rest of the world?

back on topic: I m sure Michael agrees with you... :lol:

#515 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,420 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 13:39

yeah i think we all get a little tired of the whole "you only hate schumacher because he's german" angle.

#516 snakeking1

snakeking1

• 19 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 13:56

Sorry for being ignorant....but I am just curious to draw some comparison, I know it may be irrelevant.

1. How old was Niki Lauda when he came back from retirement to win the championship?

2. How many years break did Niki Lauda take?

3. Believe Prost was his teammate during his comeback year in 1984? And also he came back into the best car on the grid?

#517 Ruf

Ruf

• 1,278 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 14:06

Sorry for being ignorant....but I am just curious to draw some comparison, I know it may be irrelevant.

1. How old was Niki Lauda when he came back from retirement to win the championship?

3. Believe Prost was his teammate during his comeback year in 1984? And also he came back into the best car on the grid?

He took 2 years off. He didn't win the championship straight after his returning, but 2 years later. He came back in 1982, not 1984. The 1984 car was by far the best.

Edited by Ruf, 01 April 2010 - 14:08.

#518 snakeking1

snakeking1

• 19 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 14:34

Alright, how did Niki Lauda do when he first came back?

And how old was he then?

#519 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 14:38

And how old was he then?

Advertisement

#520 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 14:49

I think that Michael's age issue will disappear with a first race which sends him on the podium.

Edited by MiPe, 01 April 2010 - 14:49.

#521 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,598 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 14:50

And how old was he then?

are you trying to sucker us, or just being lazy to check for info on the net you obviously have? alittle help:

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Niki_Lauda

#522 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,203 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 14:55

Without being tagged by Alonso MS would have had a really good race in Melbourne, good chance of a podium if he made the tyres last like Jenson and Robert.

After 9 years my first ever post with an avatar! :wave: Thought Id come here for it....

#523 screamingV16

screamingV16

• 232 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 14:57

The 1984 car was by far the best.

As, arguably, was his teammate!

#524 Ruf

Ruf

• 1,278 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 17:47

As, arguably, was his teammate!

Indeed!

But he didn't ask that :p

#525 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,486 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 18:37

And how old was he then?

I believe he won his third race after returning to the sport. Not bad..

#526 DaleCooper

DaleCooper

• 2,512 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 22:45

I believe that Niki won 2 races in 1982, but 83 was harder for him, and it wasn't until '84 that it all came together again. Let's hope it takes Michael less time than that.

Cooper

#527 NeilMick

NeilMick

• 530 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 00:45

I believe that Niki won 2 races in 1982, but 83 was harder for him, and it wasn't until '84 that it all came together again. Let's hope it takes Michael less time than that.

Cooper

Even though to be honest I'm not a fan of Schumacher because of his unfair behaviour sometimes, I think it's sad that we wont see him up against some of the current generation at his best, the video below shows what I mean.

Shumacher At His Best

#528 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:14

Cooper

It was harder for him in 1983, but not necessarily because the competition was tougher (although teammate Watson did give him a hard time, but pray tell, he was the one given his walking papers), but rather he and McLaren were stuck with Cosworth V8s throughout the season at a time when the Turbos were pretty much beginning to leave the atmos in their wake (defending champ Rosberg was the one that suffered most thanks to this). Before that happened though, he had back to back podiums in the first 2 races of the season. Plus reliability and a preparation mistake resulting in a double DNQ for Mac in Monaco didn't help.

Edited by Slyder, 02 April 2010 - 01:14.

#529 DaleCooper

DaleCooper

• 2,512 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:32

Even though to be honest I'm not a fan of Schumacher because of his unfair behaviour sometimes, I think it's sad that we wont see him up against some of the current generation at his best, the video below shows what I mean.

Shumacher At His Best

Here's one from Melbourne 2001.

He isn't quite there yet to be sure, but I wouldn't assume he won't get that magic back, I already saw flashes of it in Melbourne. The key is getting the car to where he can attack again. He seems to drive just a bit more tentatively currently, probably because he is not comfortable with the handling.

Cooper

#530 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,203 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:48

Wacthing FP2 Malaysia. MS is right up there in the hotlap times but at the same time the car, like Melbourne, looks really twitchy on turn in for him. He hasn't got the car dialled in but he (and Rosberg) have some serious pace.

#531 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,486 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:26

Here's one from Melbourne 2001.

He isn't quite there yet to be sure, but I wouldn't assume he won't get that magic back, I already saw flashes of it in Melbourne. The key is getting the car to where he can attack again. He seems to drive just a bit more tentatively currently, probably because he is not comfortable with the handling.

Cooper

What a gorgeous car that is in the video, with beautifully proportioned wings. Just lovely :up:

#532 soca

soca

• 216 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:38

MICHAEL SCHUMACHER
“I am quite happy overall with our work today and the practice sessions went very much as we expected. We did have a an issue with the brakes this morning so I did not start running right away but once we were out on track, I felt we had good pace. However we have to be realistic about our performance here and we might still be lacking a little compared to the front runners. The good thing is that you can play with the lines a bit to find time as the track here is quite wide. But in the end, as usual, we will have to wait and see how qualifying and the weather evolve.”

#533 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:19

FP3 will be run in quali trim and then we see where everyone is, thus Scuderia is not out of it yet. Race final P4 for Michael would be nice.

#534 Simon Says

Simon Says

• 2,163 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:30

But Prost is not Nico :lol:

#535 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,161 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:44

But Prost is not Nico :lol:

And Lauda was 33 when he returned, not 41.....

#536 kaivo

kaivo

• 555 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:21

shumahhheeerrr u faaaaaaaaaaillllllllllllllllll

#537 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,765 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:24

shumahhheeerrr u faaaaaaaaaaillllllllllllllllll

Grow up. It was a disappointing performance and he was beaten by Rosberg, if you want to add to discussion do it decently don't act like some 13 year-old online gamer kid.

#538 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,428 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:26

Even Schumi was disappointed in his interview on RTL.

#539 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:51

Time for the pipe and slippers for MS - thrashed in both Q2 and Q3 in conditions in which he used to excel. I said before the start of the season that Schumacher would struggle to reach the podium, on today's evidence it's going to require a minor miracle. Don't expect to see him in 2011 - three year contract notwithstanding, he's not going to want to hang around... and on present form, neither will the team want him.

Advertisement

#540 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,428 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:56

In Q2 he did good. In his last lap he was fastest in s1 and 2 but S3 was too wet.

Let's hope for a great race tomorrow by him.

Also he qualified in Q2, Lewis who was behind him didn't.

Edited by Diablobb81, 03 April 2010 - 10:00.

#541 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:59

Abnormal conditions yield abnormal results. Now the race.

#542 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,465 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:01

Tomorrow is his chance.

Two Ferraris and two McLarens at the back.

The Red Bulls and Roberg are certain to stay up there. Surely, a podium or at least fourth is on the cards and he must deliver.

#543 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,161 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:07

Time for the pipe and slippers for MS - thrashed in both Q2 and Q3 in conditions in which he used to excel. I said before the start of the season that Schumacher would struggle to reach the podium, on today's evidence it's going to require a minor miracle. Don't expect to see him in 2011 - three year contract notwithstanding, he's not going to want to hang around... and on present form, neither will the team want him.

Oh dear. :rolleyes:

With a little luck (or less bad luck) he could have been on the podium already last race....

In dry this weekend he was already on pair with Rosberg, if not quicker. He was struggling in Q3 and in Q2 as the track got wetter, before that he was quicker than his teammate. He has problems, yes, he is not yet there. But there is progress, if you open your eyes.

#544 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:10

:well:
Didn't expect that from you.

#545 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:15

Why are people taking the flamebaits seriously?

I think I can (as can Michael) live with some random guys 'giving' Schumacher a 'chance'. :lol:

#546 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:28

Oh dear. :rolleyes:

With a little luck (or less bad luck) he could have been on the podium already last race....

In dry this weekend he was already on pair with Rosberg, if not quicker. He was struggling in Q3 and in Q2 as the track got wetter, before that he was quicker than his teammate. He has problems, yes, he is not yet there. But there is progress, if you open your eyes.

Put Schumacher in a car on a wet track and he was always magic, it was the one area where he was head and shoulders above the competition. Today he was anonymous. Rosberg isn't a tier one driver, he's not on the top of anyone's shopping list as a team leader - yet today he completely overshadowed his teammate. Even with the McLarens and Ferraris at the back I can't see him making the podium tomorrow, barring a huge slice of luck. The spark's gone from Schumacher and younger hungrier drivers have replaced him.

As for Australia, suggesting Schumacher could have been on the podium is silly, there isn't sufficient evidence to suggest so.

#547 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:36

Does one has a link to an interview with him after quali?

#548 snakeking1

snakeking1

• 19 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:39

When Schumi was at his peak,.....everything just falls into place for him, whatever the conditions are, most of the time.

Now, he has to battle his own rustiness,..... his slight fear in overtaking (in Melbourne), unlucky to get involved in first lap incident in Melbourne,....and now things like worn tires due to pushing too hard in first lap?

So far,...things are just not going his way,....all those small little things.....
Well even though, those are small things, but it makes difference in his comeback bid....

But keep trying Schumi, I am sure a totally committed guy and with his will power, I am sure he is not going to let these things affect him and distract his progress.
I for one, is going to be patient with Schumi.

#549 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:46

Humilliated yet again

The Schumacher "rainmeister" of old would have got pole today but was embarrassed by Nico, even more so by Hulk and barely beat Kobayashi

The time is fast approaching where Merc need to make tough decisions and bring in Nick and give Schumi a dignified opt out due to "neck problems"

#550 Jomyboy

Jomyboy

• 179 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:48

It was one of the worst efforts I have ever seen from Schumacher. Pushing too hard is just an excuse. He was beaten and that was that. By 1 second is too much. I never thought he could fail by such a margin. But today.. well he never is gonna be the same. He should quit really. Give Heidfeld a chance. I think Nick would surely drive better.