Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#5751 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,712 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 13:32

I always admired Schumacher but was never really a fan and did get tired of him winning. I hoped he would have more success this year. I can't imagine any 7 time WDC being a quitter. I think he wants one more year. I think in his mind it is the car and he has told them what is wrong with it and the 2011 car will be much better.

I wonder if this decision will be made during winter testing. If Michael cannot match Rosberg in some head to head testing and the data confirms this to Michael then maybe he will pull out.

Advertisement

#5752 Number62

Number62

• 493 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 13:33

Schumi out testing superbikes again this week, what should we read into that?

I'm surprised he's allowed.

#5753 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 13:46

It is not the first time(bike thing), he also skydive a lot.
Watkins74, what if nobody can match Nico in the same car? He is engineer as I heard, this help too I guess. His team mates need to retire all the time? Nico is better than him in this car/tyre combo. This doesn't mean, MS have no place in F1. This is normal thing 25 year old is faster than 41 year old one(if this is the case) , but even at 41 MS is better than a lot of F1 drivers. If MS was faster than Nico, then Nico need to retire for sure. But, for all of you I hope MS will match Nico next year.

#5754 Lifew12

Lifew12

• 4,551 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 13:54

even at 41 MS is better than a lot of F1 drivers.

I'm not so sure that he is, Ivan. At the beginning of the season, given his past record and reputation, I would have agreed with you no problem. Now, I reckon he's as good as a lot of F1 drivers, and better than a few.

#5755 F1Johnny

F1Johnny

• 5,530 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 14:07

I always admired Schumacher but was never really a fan and did get tired of him winning. I hoped he would have more success this year. I can't imagine any 7 time WDC being a quitter. I think he wants one more year. I think in his mind it is the car and he has told them what is wrong with it and the 2011 car will be much better.

I wonder if this decision will be made during winter testing. If Michael cannot match Rosberg in some head to head testing and the data confirms this to Michael then maybe he will pull out.

This is exactly my position too. I didn't like him, but he is one of the best. I expected this year to be mega partly because he was coming back and I wanted to see him wheel to wheel with Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel et al. I also expected him to dust off Rosberg by the middle of the season.

It's difficult to come back to F1 with so many things changing. I think he will make the decision in the first few tests at the end of the year.

#5756 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,960 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 15:21

I'm not so sure that he is, Ivan. At the beginning of the season, given his past record and reputation, I would have agreed with you no problem. Now, I reckon he's as good as a lot of F1 drivers, and better than a few.

I, personally, think his pure speed has diminished. He's lost at least 1 seconds (in this car anyway) compared to the likes of Rosberg in terms of his pure (past) ultimate pace. However, I still think he is better in terms of bringing together the team and engineers and wanting what HE wants.

I also personally believe that is the situation was reverse (ie Schumacher consistently beating Rosberg) we would see a shell shocked Rosberg who wouldn't be coping that well. I think Schumacher has coped very well this year in terms of maturity and mental strength and that, no doubt, will serve him better for next year.

Next year is an acid test. Nay, THE acid test.

#5757 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,980 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 15:24

newly watching F1 fans all over the world will never understand the fuzz about Schumacher's comeback an will think the "older" generation of f1 fans are nuts thinking this driver is so good. He has shown nothing in 2010 to justify his presence in F1 today. :smoking:

That´s a valid point - the longer Michael drives 2010 spec, the more the young fans, new to the sport, will see him for what he is now, and they will wonder how weak the opposition must have been in the years 1994 - 2004.

It is quite forthcoming of Michael to deconstruct his own legend....

#5758 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,980 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 15:25

Schumi out testing superbikes again this week, what should we read into that?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

#5759 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 15:34

Michael on the bike. What it is all about:
http://translate.goo.....F-/index.html
http://www.express.d...22/-/index.html
http://www.f1news.ru...4455_1200px.jpg

Edited by ivand911, 22 September 2010 - 15:54.

Advertisement

#5760 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 15:46

Michael on the bike. What it is all about?

Next to his family he likes football, and motorbikes. This is old story. Why he risked injury during a season in progress is not so clear.

#5761 Rob

Rob

• 8,165 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 15:52

He didn't come back to finish sixth or seventh and so on, nor did he come back to be beaten continually by his team mate; he came back to win. That's the measure of the man, and that's why he will quit if he feels that the glory days are over. He's not a fool. Winners, and Michael is one, get out when the winning stops.

I agree with you. I also can't imagine that his wife is too happy that he's risking his health in his 40s for the sake of the odd point here and there. If he was winning it would be different.

#5762 Number62

Number62

• 493 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 16:03

Michael on the bike. What it is all about:

Not sure the Monster Energy peeps will be very pleased about him testing a Red Bull KTM but i'm sure he didn't expect to get snapped there.

#5763 F1Johnny

F1Johnny

• 5,530 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 18:44

Next to his family he likes football, and motorbikes. This is old story. Why he risked injury during a season in progress is not so clear.

The fix is in. A "fall" aggravates his neck injury and he is forced to pull out at the end of the season.

#5764 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 19:49

The fix is in. A "fall" aggravates his neck injury and he is forced to pull out at the end of the season.

This is simply not on. He says three years, and that's what it is, health permitting (as with other drivers; not more, not less).

#5765 as65p

as65p

• 17,179 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 20:06

Too transparent, even by Schumachers standards. Then again, after Monaco 2006, you never know...  ;)

#5766 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,980 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 21:45

This is simply not on. He says three years, and that's what it is, health permitting (as with other drivers; not more, not less).

This is the point. If he falls, no matter what really happens, he could well argue that the risks to his health do not further permit him to drive in F1.
So as you say - health permitting.

How relative health can be with saw in midseason 2009 - first the comeback with Ferrari was on, then it was off. You can speculate whether it was that only then he felt the seriousness of his neck injury or only at the tests he felt the Ferrari was not competitive in his hands (it was competitive in Kimi´s hands, by the way).

#5767 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,712 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 21:53

This is the point. If he falls, no matter what really happens, he could well argue that the risks to his health do not further permit him to drive in F1.
So as you say - health permitting.

How relative health can be with saw in midseason 2009 - first the comeback with Ferrari was on, then it was off. You can speculate whether it was that only then he felt the seriousness of his neck injury or only at the tests he felt the Ferrari was not competitive in his hands (it was competitive in Kimi´s hands, by the way).

Did he ever drive the 2009 Ferrari? I thought he drove older models at the Ferrari club.

#5768 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,980 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 21:56

Did he ever drive the 2009 Ferrari? I thought he drove older models at the Ferrari club.

You may be right, I do not fully recall all the facts. Legally he should not have been able to drive the F1 2009. Then again, there are always loopholes.

Anyway, after seeing Badoer and Fisichella driving that car, Michael´s decision in 2009 (sorry, the neck vertibra) was spot on. He saved himself some serious humiliation then and there. It still amazes me how well Kimi did in that car in Spa.

#5769 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,721 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 22:02

I do not fully recall all the facts.

that doesn't stop you from posting things around that are not true, does it?

#5770 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,980 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 22:33

that doesn't stop you from posting things around that are not true, does it?

and I am not alone in this - how much truthful data is in your posts? How much contempt?
I´d like to read some more facts in your posts as well - not just attacks. I for one am sincere and confess to it if I am not fully sure of the facts.

What is true, and that was the point of my post, is that Schumacher saved himself some humiliation in 2009 by not driving the Ferrari in the races. Would he have been as good as Bad-doer? As good as Fisichella? As good as Raikkonen?

#5771 Fortymark

Fortymark

• 5,775 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 22:56

He never drove the F2009 unless it was illegally.
The other teams objected that their reserve drivers didn´t have that
luxury, then why would they allow a 7 X WDC that.

#5772 baddog

baddog

• 23,332 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 23:27

and I am not alone in this - how much truthful data is in your posts? How much contempt?
I´d like to read some more facts in your posts as well - not just attacks. I for one am sincere and confess to it if I am not fully sure of the facts.

What is true, and that was the point of my post, is that Schumacher saved himself some humiliation in 2009 by not driving the Ferrari in the races. Would he have been as good as Bad-doer? As good as Fisichella? As good as Raikkonen?

No you got called on a post in which you made a slimey insulting accusation that Schumacher is a liar (which was based on you misremembering how things happened at the time) to back up your suggestion that he is going to lie now. You then didnt have what it takes to apologise, instead you stuck with 'well it MIGHT be true anyway'.

Come on..

#5773 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,980 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 00:25

No you got called on a post in which you made a slimey insulting accusation that Schumacher is a liar (which was based on you misremembering how things happened at the time) to back up your suggestion that he is going to lie now. You then didnt have what it takes to apologise, instead you stuck with 'well it MIGHT be true anyway'.

Come on..

Well, lets see how it pans out. That Schumacher is a liar (and a bad one at that) has been proved more than once (need we go through all this again?) - that I misremember facts has also happened more than once. There is no need to apologize, as it is not you who deserves the apology, but Michael, if anyone.

So let me phrase the apology in Michael´s way then:

“Yesterday right after posting on the Atlas BB I was still in the heat of the action, but after I read the post again, I must say that baddog was right with his assessment: the post against Michael was too harsh. I wanted to make myself clear that Michael has lied before. I clearly showed him that I didn’t want him to lie again. I wasn’t trying to insult him with my post. If he had this feeling, then sorry, that was not my intention. ”

:lol:

#5774 DarthRonzo

DarthRonzo

• 804 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:33

AMuS - Schumy does Motorrad again...

Can anyone inform me/us if Mercedes F1 allowed him to ride a bike again, since I don't speak german ?

#5775 slaveceru

slaveceru

• 180 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:39

They can, with ease. All they have to do is not take up their option for the next two seasons.

I think you credit the man with much less intelligence than he has. If Michael Schumacher thinks that things are not going to get much better - I'm not saying he does, but if he does - then I've little dount his motivation for trundling around in the midfield will not be up to much. He's a winher, he wants to win, he doesn't want to bag a load of sixth, seventh, eighth places. He has better things to do in life. If he comes to the conclusion that this is how it's going to be from now on - and let's face it, being honest, no matter how much better the car gets next year that's going to benefit Rosberg too - he'll have no hesitation in quitting.

:up:
I agree with you completely on this matter. I have not seen in all the sports that I watch that a person who was once a champion would be pleased with the middle rang results, when he returned from the retirement. Sooner or later he would lose the motivation.

#5776 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:42

AMuS - Schumy does Motorrad again...

Can anyone inform me/us if Mercedes F1 allowed him to ride a bike again, since I don't speak german ?

I don't know if he ask them. But, they say that they accept his passion for bikes.
"Mercedes wants motorcycle passion of Michael Schumacher continues to tolerate. "Michael has fun on a bike and knows exactly what he does, and we know it," said a spokesman on Wednesday, after the Formula 1 driver had seen five days before the Singapore Grand Prix riding a bike."

Edited by ivand911, 23 September 2010 - 06:45.

#5777 Amrl

Amrl

• 785 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:11

Why wouldn't they allow him to ride bikes at this point? It's not like they have much to lose.

#5778 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:22

Why wouldn't they allow him to ride bikes at this point? It's not like they have much to lose.

From riding bike to racing bike there is a difference. And riding bike on secure track is much safer than crossing the street or riding bike on the road. Skydiving is also much dangerous. Yes, I am sure MGP don't give Nico to do this things because they want to save him. LOL

#5779 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:22

haha, as soon as he falls from the bike, Mercedes can put a fast driver in that car for a change! :lol:

Maybe they are hoping for it, and paying Red Bull to fix that motor in a certain way so he get's also some wings! :)

how obvious ...... even for Schumi's standards

Advertisement

#5780 as65p

as65p

• 17,179 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:25

I agree with you. I also can't imagine that his wife is too happy that he's risking his health in his 40s for the sake of the odd point here and there. If he was winning it would be different.

For a wife? I very much doubt that winning or not makes a difference to her.

#5781 Sammyosammy

Sammyosammy

• 1,496 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:38

(someone´s not familiar with women....? :rotfl: )

#5782 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:41

haha, as soon as he falls from the bike, Mercedes can put a fast driver in that car for a change! :lol:

Maybe they are hoping for it, and paying Red Bull to fix that motor in a certain way so he get's also some wings! :)

how obvious ...... even for Schumi's standards

He don't need that? He can say he fell in the bathroom. But will not happen, and you don't want it. What you will do next year without him? :)

#5783 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,231 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:53

Oh I don't know about that. I very much got the impression that was why she dumped Frentzen for Schumacher.

#5784 as65p

as65p

• 17,179 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:02

Oh I don't know about that. I very much got the impression that was why she dumped Frentzen for Schumacher.

Hm, we're moving into highly speculative grounds, even deeper than usual around here.  ;) IIRC she changed "teams" way before MS became successfull? Though I could be wrong on this.

#5785 Sammyosammy

Sammyosammy

• 1,496 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:09

Hm, we're moving into highly speculative grounds, even deeper than usual around here. ;) IIRC she changed "teams" way before MS became successfull? Though I could be wrong on this.

maybe she´s more in this sport than the audience :drunk:

propably this subject should be dropped now :)

#5786 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,231 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:11

Hm, we're moving into highly speculative grounds, even deeper than usual around here. ;) IIRC she changed "teams" way before MS became successfull? Though I could be wrong on this.

Yeah, totally speculative. I think she actually moved teams around 91 so before his F1 success. From reports at the time I just formed the impression she was a bit of a paddock groupie.

#5787 as65p

as65p

• 17,179 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:15

Yeah, totally speculative. I think she actually moved teams around 91 so before his F1 success. From reports at the time I just formed the impression she was a bit of a paddock groupie.

But aren't those supposed to be gorgeous?

Okay, I'm out at this point... :D

#5788 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,231 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:16

But aren't those supposed to be gorgeous?

Okay, I'm out at this point... :D

:rotfl: :rotfl: Or easy. ;)

#5789 DarthRonzo

DarthRonzo

• 804 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:44

I don't know if he ask them. But, they say that they accept his passion for bikes.
"Mercedes wants motorcycle passion of Michael Schumacher continues to tolerate. "Michael has fun on a bike and knows exactly what he does, and we know it," said a spokesman on Wednesday, after the Formula 1 driver had seen five days before the Singapore Grand Prix riding a bike."

Thanks for the translation. :up:

#5790 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:46

Michael in the paddock : Today
http://www.xpb.cc/vi...e.asp?id=390453
http://www.xpb.cc/vi...e.asp?id=390452
http://www.xpb.cc/vi...e.asp?id=390451

Edited by ivand911, 23 September 2010 - 12:01.

#5791 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:38

http://photofile.com.../#mainImageLink
Last banner for Singapore GP from our Russian friends(Serial Banner Maniacs). Look for it in Singapore. Their last banners from Spa and Monza were very popular on TV.

#5792 as65p

as65p

• 17,179 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:40

Perfect stalker slogan! :up:

#5793 F1Johnny

F1Johnny

• 5,530 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 14:51

I think what Rob means is that his wife figures that if he is taking such risks the reward should be significant. He has done it all already, so to go back in at 41 only to be running around in the mid field and being beaten by your teammate is not sufficient reward for the risk.

#5794 Spa95

Spa95

• 861 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 15:42

More talk that Schumacher may be off:

http://joesaward.wor...ael-schumacher/

http://www.motorspor...1_10092330.html

Asked by an asian journalist if he will be in F1 next year, Schumacher replied: "Certainly, yes! You won't get rid of me that easily!"

Doesn't sound like someone who ponders over his F1 future.

*Edit: and now on Autosport: http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/86891

Edited by Spa95, 23 September 2010 - 16:20.

#5795 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 15:57

http://www.motorspor...1_10092330.html

Asked by an asian journalist if he will be in F1 next year, Schumacher replied: "Certainly, yes! You won't get rid of me that easily!"

Doesn't sound like someone who ponders about his F1 future.

*Edit: and now on Autosport: http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/86891

It is getting better and better. :clap:
Some pics:
http://i10.fastpic.r...0ecff5f0dd5.jpg
http://i10.fastpic.r...a42fa4ef283.jpg
http://i10.fastpic.r...f261ed44848.jpg
http://cache.daylife...7jjbvk/x800.jpg
http://www.sutton-im...s/d10sin460.jpg
Michael have new race engineer? Schovlin was not at Monza too?

Edited by ivand911, 23 September 2010 - 16:51.

#5796 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 16:46

Is it my imagination only, or his body position on the scooter is partially adopting racing bike angle?

Edited by Sakae, 23 September 2010 - 16:46.

#5797 vovelo

vovelo

• 87 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 16:48

2010 may be very well the first season from Schumacher where he is showing his TREU potential, without the clouded helping hands he always had help from in his carreer before.

Maybe he ALWAYS was an manufactured product of his successes?

His title and title's after that, where more the result of Bernie Ecclestone's outspoken wish in 1993 to have a German Worldchampion in F1, than a result of Schumacher's input alone? I believe so.

Mercedes has a problem now. They can't dump him, (they never want to admit it was an error to take him back) and Schumacher doesn't want to stop (his mentality and the money) ... so Mercedes has a not-wanting-to-stop oldie, ruining the imago of they're cool silver cars.

newly watching F1 fans all over the world will never understand the fuzz about Schumacher's comeback an will think the "older" generation of f1 fans are nuts thinking this driver is so good. He has shown nothing in 2010 to justify his presence in F1 today. He is showing how not-to-do it in a Mercedes F1 racecar, the perfect German combination on paper, is not much to brag about eh Mickey?

But you will not hear me complaining, I have the season of a lifetime! :rotfl: I really hope they can't get rid of each other (Merc and Schu) for the comming 2 seasons, because I like it to much! :smoking:

Frans,when you will stop to post tons of the absolutely wrong things about Michael and his racing career ? :lol:
By the way,Yes it was Bernie who drove B194 and won first title for Schumi :wave:

Edited by vovelo, 23 September 2010 - 16:50.

#5798 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,960 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 16:49

Is Schumacher a Catholic or a Protestant?

#5799 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 16:53

Is it my imagination only, or his body position on the scooter is partially adopting racing bike angle?

I think it is just camera angle.
I think he is Catholic. Not many Protestants I guess in Germany?

Advertisement

#5800 TURU

TURU

• 2,786 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 17:00

I think it is just camera angle.
I think he is Catholic. Not many Protestants I guess in Germany?

:lol:

It's quite the opposite.