Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#5801 Spa95

Spa95

• 861 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 17:04

I think he is Catholic. Not many Protestants I guess in Germany?

In the country of Martin Luther? :lol:

And I'm pretty sure he is catholic....

Advertisement

#5802 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 17:07

Maybe, I made mistake. :rolleyes:
But, according to this map he can still be Catholic?
http://en.wikipedia....ismInEurope.png

Edited by ivand911, 23 September 2010 - 17:10.

#5803 cindy4ever33

cindy4ever33

• 47 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 17:12

It is getting better and better. :clap:
Some pics:
http://i10.fastpic.r...0ecff5f0dd5.jpg
http://i10.fastpic.r...a42fa4ef283.jpg
http://i10.fastpic.r...f261ed44848.jpg
http://cache.daylife...7jjbvk/x800.jpg
http://www.sutton-im...s/d10sin460.jpg
Michael have new race engineer? Schovlin was not at Monza too?

The man on the scooter with MSC is his physio Kai. He is in charge of Michael this season since the GP2 test in the beginning of the year.

And of course race engineer Shovlin is at both Monza and Singapore.

#5804 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 17:31

The man on the scooter with MSC is his physio Kai. He is in charge of Michael this season since the GP2 test in the beginning of the year.

And of course race engineer Shovlin is at both Monza and Singapore.

I just don't remember seeing him there and here too. Maybe we will see him on TV.

Edited by ivand911, 23 September 2010 - 17:36.

#5805 cindy4ever33

cindy4ever33

• 47 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 17:47

I just don't remember seeing him there and here too. Maybe we will see him on TV.

http://farm5.static....ce4c3c828_z.jpg

The pic was taken today in Singapore.

#5806 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 17:50

The pic was taken today in Singapore.

Thanks, I see all Sutton, xpb.cc and wri2.net and he was not there.

#5807 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,203 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 17:52

Gallery:

http://www.motorspor...tok-c35231.html

#5808 Bleu

Bleu

• 742 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 20:03

Remembering Bahrain GP 2005 qualifying press conference I think he might be Catholic, considering how he talked about the Pope John Paul II who had passed away in the previous evening. But of course that might be also because he had met him during his Ferrari years.

#5809 search

search

• 193 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 20:14

Remembering Bahrain GP 2005 qualifying press conference I think he might be Catholic

Ralf is, so I think Michael is catholic as well, but it isn't a big deal in germany anyway. most people don't matter about the confession

#5810 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,980 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 00:49

http://www.jamesalle...and-schumacher/

Quite interesting - Schumacher is obviously not going to get special insights into the Pirelli tyres from Heidfeld - something I had feared before, as Michael was usually able to extract information that others would not obtain.

This is good in the interest of a plain playing field in 2011, with only Sauber getting a head-start on the tyres. Amongst all the teams I´d say "you deserve this insider knowledge, Peter!" It was a quite shrewd move of Peter Sauber to offer Heidfeld a contract for the remaining five races in 2010....

#5811 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,960 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:56

Quite interesting - Schumacher is obviously not going to get special insights into the Pirelli tyres from Heidfeld - something I had feared before, as Michael was usually able to extract information that others would not obtain.

This is good in the interest of a plain playing field in 2011, with only Sauber getting a head-start on the tyres. Amongst all the teams I´d say "you deserve this insider knowledge, Peter!" It was a quite shrewd move of Peter Sauber to offer Heidfeld a contract for the remaining five races in 2010....

I wonder how much Nick Heidfeld can really tell the Sauber engineers? Surely the Pirelli tyres he tested the brief few times will evolve, change and get faster as Pirelli carry out more and more subsequent tests.

I'd wager his knowledge will be quite limited compared to what the likes of Romain Grosjean and Pedro Dela Rosa will know.

#5812 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,232 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:02

I really failed to understand why anyone would think that MS was going to get any special insights anyway, total non-issue. I also don't think NH is going to bring any really useful info to Sauber about the tyres. The tyres he has been using were their first iteration and there will have been many changes to the compounds and construction by the time the final tyres are issued.

#5813 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,980 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:06

I really failed to understand why anyone would think that MS was going to get any special insights anyway, total non-issue. I also don't think NH is going to bring any really useful info to Sauber about the tyres. The tyres he has been using were their first iteration and there will have been many changes to the compounds and construction by the time the final tyres are issued.

It´s not a total non-issue, as you know well. Michael was treated exclusively by Bridgestone for years, with tailor-made tyres to suit Michael´s driving style. Not surprisingly this "special treatment" falls exactly into the period of Michael´s biggest successes in the early 2000s.

So James Allen is not the only one who was having an eye on the developements Pirelli-Schumacher. All that seasoned F1 followers want is a plain starting grid with equal chances for all.

#5814 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,232 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:16

It´s not a total non-issue, as you know well. Michael was treated exclusively by Bridgestone for years, with tailor-made tyres to suit Michael´s driving style. Not surprisingly this "special treatment" falls exactly into the period of Michael´s biggest successes in the early 2000s.

So James Allen is not the only one who was having an eye on the developements Pirelli-Schumacher. All that seasoned F1 followers want is a plain starting grid with equal chances for all.

What happened between BS and Ferrari in the past is totally irrelevant. We have spec tyres now which are not designed with any particular driver in mind. NH might have been able to influence the design direction, but I see no reason why he would have tried to do that to benefit MS, nor do I see any reason why he would pass any information that would have overly benefited MS.

#5815 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:39

I'm confused here, it's not ok for MS to get "insider information" (in fact you "fear it") but it's ok for Peter Sauber to get "insider information"?

So what you're saying that it's ok for one team/person to have an advantage but not another team/person even though you request a "plain playing field in 2011"?

Seriously I'm confused, could you make your biased contradictions clearer for us English speakers please?

#5816 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,410 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:40

So what you're saying that it's ok for one team/person to have an advantage but not another team/person even though you request a "plain playing field in 2011"?

Certainly looks that way...

#5817 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,980 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:42

Ah man, would've been nice to see Schumacher top the list just for the sake of it. Almost

I think this is the closest that Michael came to the top in any session this year - congrats! Button doing well, also, Singapore is supposed to be an Alonso track.

So despite the sensation of the flood light night race, Singapore seems to be kind to champions. Can´t wait for Sunday!

#5818 baddog

baddog

• 23,332 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:45

heh wouldnt read too much (or anything frankly) into that sessions times.. except maybe that he wasnt wrong when he said he enjoys learning a new circuit.

#5819 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,980 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:49

I'm confused here, it's not ok for MS to get "insider information" (in fact you "fear it") but it's ok for Peter Sauber to get "insider information"?

Seriously I'm confused, could you make your biased contradictions clearer for us English speakers please?

It is quite simple, Peter Sauber is certainly the underdog. And all that I have learned from you English speakers is that you have always a special spot in your heart for the underdog. Or is that only the American English speakers?

Michael Schumacher to me is not the underdog, and what you read from my lines is my fear that he might start another era of domination at the mature age of 42, if and when he gets tyres manufactured to his special needs.

So yes, you see me partial here - I wish some boost to Peter Sauber so he and his team can survive. I don´t wish Michael Schumacher such a special boost, lest we have another 2000 - 2004 coming our way. You may like another era of Schumacher domination, to me F1 was utterly boring in the years 2000 - 2004. A "plain playing field" is certainly not what those years were about, whereas, if the Sauber team gets a little better (or even is able to survive) in 2011 it means to me no distortion to a level starting grid.

Edited by aditya-now, 24 September 2010 - 11:52.

Advertisement

#5820 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,410 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:54

It is quite simple, Peter Sauber is certainly the underdog. And all that I have learned from you English speakers is that you have always a special spot in your heart for the underdog. Or is that only the American English speakers?

Sorry, that doesn't cut it either because you have misunderstood the concept of 'level playing field' or the concept of an 'underdog'.

With additional information that others have no access to, there is no level playing field. If Sauber has this additional information which others do not have, they are not the underdog anymore.

#5821 baddog

baddog

• 23,332 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:14

heh that was revealing wasnt it? inequities are fine if they serve to punish the leaders, help the losers, and disadvantage people aditya doesnt like?

I think thats not an ideal situation ;)

#5822 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:20

I also don't think NH is going to bring any really useful info to Sauber about the tyres. The tyres he has been using were their first iteration and there will have been many changes to the compounds and construction by the time the final tyres are issued.

It is OT, but I think NH did around 500-600 laps with Pirelli tyres. From this he for sure have good knowledge about their constructions and compounds. As I heard Pirelli think that their tyre construction is sorted and will focus on compounds mainly. And from this all I think NH can help very much in building of next year Sauber car. For me this was even their plan(after they learn about tyre test), to start tests(3 test) and after this they to take him in the team. I just don't know, how Pirelli and other teams accepted this? For me the driver who was doing tests have to be prohibited of joining F1 team before this year ends. Or before first official tyre test in Abu Dhabi.

Edited by ivand911, 24 September 2010 - 12:24.

#5823 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,980 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:24

heh that was revealing wasnt it? inequities are fine if they serve to punish the leaders, help the losers, and disadvantage people aditya doesnt like?

I think thats not an ideal situation ;)

You guys live in an ideal world. Wasn´t creating inequities what the FIA was doing for years? What Ferrari was doing for years? What Ross Brawn was doing last year with the double diffuser and the meeting he had in 2008 with all the teams, when only Toyota and Williams were in on the line that the DDD was okay, whereas McLaren, Ferrari and other teams thought it was not legal?

Isn´t finding the competitive edge in whichever way and thereby creating an inequity the very nature of the sport, what with various tyre deals of Schumacher in the past, the wing car of Colin Chapman, the fan car of Brabham-Alfa and on and on and on?

So well done to Peter Sauber for being clever enough to give Nick Heidfeld the ride, and thereby getting potential information on the Pirelli tyres that are not available to all and sundry.

Sauber did nothing else than what Schumacher, Brawn, Todt, Briatore and others have done all along - and not always in the gentlemanly way of Peter Sauber.
So kudos to the underdog Sauber, even if he may not gain much advantage from it - it was well thought out and not illegal what he did.

Also I am sure that Michael will not gain any information from Nick, the relations between the two are not in such good stead that there is any chance of Nick passing information....

#5824 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,232 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:26

It is OT, but I think NH did around 500-600 laps with Pirelli tyres. From this he for sure have good knowledge about their constructions and compounds. As I heard Pirelli think that their tyre construction is sorted and will focus on compounds mainly. And from this all I think NH can help very much in building of next year Sauber car. For me this was even their plan(after they learn about tyre test), to start tests(3 test) and after this they to take him in the team. I just don't know, how Pirelli and other teams accepted this? For me the driver who was doing tests have to be prohibited of joining F1 team before this year ends. Or before first official tyre test in Abu Dhabi.

I don't believe he will be able to bring anything that will greatly (if at all) affect the design of the car. Had the teams not agreed on a standard weight distribution for next year then things might have been different.

#5825 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:26

Also I am sure that Michael will not gain any information from Nick, the relations between the two are not in such good stead that there is any chance of Nick passing information....

Which was specially important for you.

#5826 baddog

baddog

• 23,332 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:27

Aditya, in spite of all that flapping around the last paragraph of your previous post is still there..

Edited by baddog, 24 September 2010 - 12:28.

#5827 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,980 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:27

With additional information that others have no access to, there is no level playing field.

So you are talking about Ross Brawn, the DDD and Jenson Button´s 2009 WDC, then?

Honda was surely the underdog, Brawn GP wasn´t. Strangely enough, Mercedes GP and Schumacher again seem to be the underdog.

#5828 Anssi

Anssi

• 1,899 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:29

:lol: That was fun to read. Of course that's double standards. I didn't feel very well a few minutes ago but reading this discussion made me smile. Something good came out of it.

#5829 Lifew12

Lifew12

• 4,551 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:29

So well done to Peter Sauber for being clever enough to give Nick Heidfeld the ride, and thereby getting potential information on the Pirelli tyres that are not available to all and sundry.

You're being a bit silly. It doesn't take much to realise that the Pirelli tyres tested by Heidfeld were a development incarnation of what's to come; there won't be any information gain of any worth.

#5830 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,232 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:30

So you are talking about Ross Brawn, the DDD and Jenson Button´s 2009 WDC, then?

Honda was surely the underdog, Brawn GP wasn´t. Strangely enough, Mercedes GP and Schumacher again seem to be the underdog.

Not sure how the DDD is in anyway relevant.

#5831 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:31

:lol: That was fun to read. Of course that's double standards. I didn't feel very well a few minutes ago but reading this discussion made me smile. Something good came out of it.

We always have very fruitful discussions here. :wave:

#5832 Anssi

Anssi

• 1,899 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:34

A good practice session from Michael Schumacher. Although he drove the most laps of all. But it would be great if he could stay up there in the other sessions too.

#5833 TURU

TURU

• 2,786 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:35

It is OT, but I think NH did around 500-600 laps with Pirelli tyres. From this he for sure have good knowledge about their constructions and compounds. As I heard Pirelli think that their tyre construction is sorted and will focus on compounds mainly. And from this all I think NH can help very much in building of next year Sauber car. For me this was even their plan(after they learn about tyre test), to start tests(3 test) and after this they to take him in the team. I just don't know, how Pirelli and other teams accepted this? For me the driver who was doing tests have to be prohibited of joining F1 team before this year ends.

ARRGH ..... As I've already said before, you wouldn't complain about Heidfeld providing 'secret data' to a team, had he returned to Mercedes instead of Sauber. So please, stop whining about it. Stop this hypocrisy ;)

Edited by TURU, 24 September 2010 - 12:37.

#5834 metz

metz

• 9,701 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:36

The tyre testing at Pirelli had 4 phases
1...initial evaluation
2...shape and size
3...construction
4...compounds
Nick only participated in the first two evaluations. The critical ones are the last two.
All the teams will get the new tyres after the last race so they can test these on their cars. Two or 3 laps at that time will give any team more information than Heidfeld could bring at this stage.

#5835 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,980 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:46

Aditya, in spite of all that flapping around the last paragraph of your previous post is still there..

Why shouldn´t it be here? It is a matter of fact that Nick Heidfeld and Michael Schumacher don´t see eye to eye, so, why do you have a problem with mentioning the fact?

#5836 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,980 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:47

ARRGH ..... As I've already said before, you wouldn't complain about Heidfeld providing 'secret data' to a team, had he returned to Mercedes instead of Sauber. So please, stop whining about it. Stop this hypocrisy ;)

Talking about double standards and accusing others of having them... ;)

#5837 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,232 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:48

Why shouldn´t it be here? It is a matter of fact that Nick Heidfeld and Michael Schumacher don´t see eye to eye, so, why do you have a problem with mentioning the fact?

Is it? And if that is the case why did you fear NH would pass info on to MS.?

Edited by Clatter, 24 September 2010 - 12:50.

#5838 metz

metz

• 9,701 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:52

It is a matter of fact that Nick Heidfeld and Michael Schumacher don´t see eye to eye, so, why do you have a problem with mentioning the fact?

I follow both drivers fairly closely and my impression is that they have nothing but respect for each other.
They have known each other since carting days and still participate in each other's charity events.
Even technically, they have a similar work ethic, set-up process and driving style.
I don't know where you get this notion from.

#5839 Lifew12

Lifew12

• 4,551 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:54

The tyre testing at Pirelli had 4 phases
1...initial evaluation
2...shape and size
3...construction
4...compounds
Nick only participated in the first two evaluations.

Mr Sauber - "So, Nick, Tell us about these Pirelli tyres...."

NH - " Well, they are rubber, and round, and black."

Advertisement

#5840 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:56

Sauber did nothing else than what Schumacher, Brawn, Todt, Briatore and others have done all along - and not always in the gentlemanly way of Peter Sauber.
So kudos to the underdog Sauber, even if he may not gain much advantage from it - it was well thought out and not illegal what he did.

Hihi double standards at it's finest :lol:

Anyway you must think Ross Brawn was born yesterday certainly part of Mercedes releasing Heidfeld of his contract was a solid debrief on everything he learned as a Pirelli test driver. If there was anything important to be learned in that early stage (and I doubt that) it would have been with Ross Brawn and big Schumi even before Peter Sauber.

#5841 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,980 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:56

Is it? And if that is the case why did you fear NH would pass info on to MS.?

Because of Nick´s allegiance to Mercedes and his hopes to land a seat there one day. I wonder how close his ties to Merc are at the moment. Anyway, this discussion is a bit academic, as Metz pointed out objectively, because the defining phase of tyre development is coming up only now. So relax... ;)

#5842 Lifew12

Lifew12

• 4,551 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:58

I wonder how close his ties to Merc are at the moment.

Not close at all. He was released from his contract.

#5843 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 13:01

I don't know why you assume such things. If he did provide secret data , this will be secret and I wouldn't know?
But, here you talk about me and you are implying some things about me.

#5844 Lifew12

Lifew12

• 4,551 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 13:02

be fair, Ivan, he's only referring to the fact you're a die hard, devoted Michael fan.

#5845 metz

metz

• 9,701 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 13:02

Not close at all. He was released from his contract.

To be clear. He asked to be released and they agreed.
The slight complication was that Nick's contract had an "out" clause, should a drivers seat become available. The Pirelli gig was technically not a drive. But Haug made it clear that they did not want to stand in Nick's way.
The Pirelli contract had the same clause.

#5846 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,232 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 13:03

Because of Nick´s allegiance to Mercedes and his hopes to land a seat there one day. I wonder how close his ties to Merc are at the moment. Anyway, this discussion is a bit academic, as Metz pointed out objectively, because the defining phase of tyre development is coming up only now. So relax...;)

In case you had missed it I had already said more or less the same thing, and that I don't believe he has any useful info to pass on. It's your comments we are trying to get to the bottom of.

I'm interested to hear about this known fact that they don't see eye to eye.

#5847 Lifew12

Lifew12

• 4,551 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 13:04

The slight complication was that Nick's contract had an "out" clause, should a drivers seat become available.

I would bet it had more than one 'out' clause, as is the norm with all such contracts these days!

#5848 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,232 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 13:05

To be clear. He asked to be released and they agreed.
The slight complication was that Nick's contract had an "out" clause, should a drivers seat become available. The Pirelli gig was technically not a drive. But Haug made it clear that they did not want to stand in Nick's way.
The Pirelli contract had the same clause.

I think it's also pretty clear that Haug didn't have a seat to offer him.

#5849 TURU

TURU

• 2,786 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 13:05

I don't know why you assume such things. If he did provide secret data , this will be secret and I wouldn't know?

My point was that if he returned to Mercedes after his Pirelli testing saga, You (and many others) would not complain about it, you would be perfectly happy with it.

#5850 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 13:18

My point was that if he returned to Mercedes after his Pirelli testing saga, You (and many others) would not complain about it, you would be perfectly happy with it.

As I told you before, if he return in MGP on Michael place(because I don't see him returning for anything else) I would be far from happy. I am honestly interested by the team because Michael is there. :)