• 2,192 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:51

I think ive seen enough now to say he no longer has that extra bit special

Advertisement

#552 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:52

Put Schumacher in a car on a wet track and he was always magic, it was the one area where he was head and shoulders above the competition.

Always? :lol:

It was often about gambling on a full wet setup with Michael and Ross. They were often lucky.

So the few he wasn't:

Donnington 93 out done by Hill and Senna by a long way
Monaco 95 out done by Hill off the start then binned it into a wall
Spa 98 on Semi wet track, Hill was faster and made the better start
Hungary 2006 his last wet race, slow and had to be overtaken on the outside by he likes of Button or he was banging wheels

#553 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,173 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:52

All you people calling for Merc to replace Schumacher with Heidfeld, do you remember how much Nick was struggling last year even to reach Q3 while Kubica was easily there? But oh well, you probably just want Schumacher out and it's not Nick and his career you really care for. :rolleyes:

#554 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:54

It was one of the worst efforts I have ever seen from Schumacher. Pushing too hard is just an excuse. He was beaten and that was that. By 1 second is too much. I never thought he could fail by such a margin. But today.. well he never is gonna be the same. He should quit really. Give Heidfeld a chance. I think Nick would surely drive better.

Exactly

It is over for Schumi, old father time has well and truly caught up with him and to spare any further humilliation he needs to quit and be replaced by Heidfeld

This was Michael's chance to prove himself today as he is reckoned to be the best wet weather driver ever bar Senna and he could barely beat Kobayashi and was thrashed by Rosberg, Sutil, Hulk etc

Brawn should get together with him and draft a statement through the press office saying Schumi is retiring due to neck problems and then he can bow out with a bit of dignity instead of being F1's laughing stock like at the moment :(

#555 eoin

eoin

• 5,010 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:55

It was often about gambling on a full wet setup with Michael and Ross. They were often lucky.

So the few he wasn't:

Hungary 2006 his last wet race, slow and had to be overtaken on the outside by he likes of Button or he was banging wheels

He won Monaco in 95.
He was lapping most of the field in Spa98 when DC took him out.
Hungary: Was by far the fastest BS runner which were the wrong tyres. Also it wasn't his last wet race- that would be China '06 where he won despite been on the much slower Bridgestones.

Look, today's Q3 was a terrible performance but saying that Merc should get in Heidfeld is just silly. I think today could very well be a sign that he will never get back to anywhere near his best but Schumacher at 95% is still better than most of the drivers on the grid. Rosberg was great today- he was the fastest guy on Inters in Q3- the guy clearly has a lot of talent.

Edited by eoin, 03 April 2010 - 11:00.

#556 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:56

Grow up. It was a disappointing performance and he was beaten by Rosberg, if you want to add to discussion do it decently don't act like some 13 year-old online gamer kid.

To be fair schumacher hasn't always been defended to a 'decent' standard on these forums.

#557 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,173 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:56

So the few he wasn't:

And that of course had nothing to do with setups, gambling and the fact Williams had TC and Benetton didn't.

#558 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,980 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:57

I think Michael is going to give Barbie a hiding in Malaysia.

Michael has always been very good around Sepang.

Michael is "hiding" in Malaysia from Barbie? Hiding in 8th place?

Edited by aditya-now, 03 April 2010 - 10:57.

#559 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:59

Nicole Rosberg is dominating the old champion. MSC is ruining his whole career by this lacklustre performance.

Advertisement

#560 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:00

To some extent, but even Spain '96 when they gambled correctly and benefited from Villeneuve holding up faster drivers, Schumacher's advantage seemed far in excess of simply enjoying a better set-up. So now we're in the position of you minimising his talent while I maximise it? :lol:

#561 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,173 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:01

MSC is ruining his whole

How does he ruin his "whole career"? :drunk:

#562 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:03

How does he ruin his "whole career"? :drunk:

Before he returned people thought he was a special driver and special talent. His return shows that this is not true and most of his wins were based on superior cars.

#563 Ruf

Ruf

• 1,278 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:03

The time is fast approaching where Merc need to make tough decisions and bring in Nick and give Schumi a dignified opt out due to "neck problems"

Sheese :rotfl:

He has also humiliated 2 Ferraris and 2 McLarens so he's not really hopeless. I'm sure Schumacher can get one of those 4 newly vacant seats. :rotfl:

Edit: OF course, Quick Nick has the first shot at them. :p

Edited by Ruf, 03 April 2010 - 11:04.

#564 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:04

There's an awful lot of drivers out there who would die for Schumacher's "luck".

#565 dav115

dav115

• 716 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:05

So the few he wasn't:

You seem to be ignoring the slight detail that both Hill and Senna, unlike Schumacher, had traction control.
Unfortunately for you, Schumacher won Monaco 95?
You mean the race where Schumacher was over half a minute ahead of Hill and was set for a sure win until Coulthard took him out of the race?
One word: tyres

#566 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:06

Before he returned people thought he was a special driver and special talent. His return shows that this is not true and most of his wins were based on superior cars.

Same could be said for any driver, 99% of champions won their title in the best car

In his day he was maybe the best ever bar Senna but he is a has been now, washed up, he will still be recognised as one of the all time greats but this is Mansell 95 / Hill 99 /Bjorn Borg's comeback revisited

#567 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,173 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:06

Or maybe it just shows he is 41 and has been away from the sport for 3 years..... :wave:
If a driver with 7 titles and 91 race wins is not special and not talented then I don't know who is.

Edited by Galko877, 03 April 2010 - 11:07.

#568 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:07

Yeah nothing to do with him winning 7 WDC and 91 races or if you like statistics - more than 10% of GP's ever run in the whole history of F1.

No idea why people would think someone like that was special.

Troll.

#569 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:08

And that of course had nothing to do with setups, gambling and the fact Williams had TC and Benetton didn't.

yes it works both ways of course, as I pointed out in spa 98 Hill started to set faster times when it was light rain( better setup for those conditions). Benneton did have TC, they were fined for using it in testing but not handing over telemetry after races IIRC

#570 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:09

Sheese :rotfl:

He has also humiliated 2 Ferraris and 2 McLarens so he's not really hopeless. I'm sure Schumacher can get one of those 4 newly vacant seats. :rotfl:

Edit: OF course, Quick Nick has the first shot at them. :p

Strategy wasn't to blame for Michael's performance today slowness was

It is now 3-0 to Rosberg both in qualifying and almost certainly by this time tomorrow in races too

Rosberg is a solid driver but not Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel level, for a journeyman like Rosberg to be handing Michael a driving lesson just imagine what Hamilton or Alonso or Vettel would do to him with him as a team mate

#571 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,173 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:09

yes it works both ways of course, as I pointed out in spa 98 Hill started to set faster times when it was light rain( better setup for those conditions). Benneton did have TC, they were fined for using it in testing but not handing over telemetry after races IIRC

No, Benetton did not have TC, nor were fined for anything in 1993. And FYI, in 1993 TC was legal - only Benetton didn't have it until about mid-season.

Edited by Galko877, 03 April 2010 - 11:10.

#572 robracer

robracer

• 1,028 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:11

Nicole Rosberg is dominating the old champion. MSC is ruining his whole career by this lacklustre performance.

Don't be surprised to see Michael Schumacher on the top step of the podium tomorrow, I have a feeling he can win this race. He starts alot higher than McLaren or Ferrari, and he was quick in practice, almost as quick as Rosberg who shines on this circuit. I think he has good race pace but he just can't put in the hotlaps in qualifying like the younger drivers can like Rosberg, so he was always going to struggle against Rosberg today. But tomorrow, if he gets a good start and stays out of trouble, Michael will do very well. He will definately score points, possibly a podium or even the win. Just you watch.

#573 Yorkie

Yorkie

• 2,192 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:13

I think its ridiculous to say MS should be replaced, he's still doing a credible job, but i feel not as good as he would have hoped, MS will make his own decision probably near seasons end

#574 SirSaltire

SirSaltire

• 781 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:15

Strategy wasn't to blame for Michael's performance today slowness was

It is now 3-0 to Rosberg both in qualifying and almost certainly by this time tomorrow in races too

Rosberg is a solid driver but not Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel level, for a journeyman like Rosberg to be handing Michael a driving lesson just imagine what Hamilton or Alonso or Vettel would do to him with him as a team mate

Rosberg is no journeymen :drunk: MS is doing as well as I expected and I think some folk are being a bit hard on him. Don't get me wrong, I am no fan of MS but some of the comments against him are rediculous. :p

Edited by SirSaltire, 03 April 2010 - 11:23.

#575 MickF1

MickF1

• 54 posts

Michael looks past it. In years gone past he would have dominated in todays conditions.

#576 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

To some extent, but even Spain '96 when they gambled correctly and benefited from Villeneuve holding up faster drivers, Schumacher's advantage seemed far in excess of simply enjoying a better set-up. So now we're in the position of you minimising his talent while I maximise it? :lol:

Next year he could very well be awesome in the wet, if the car is right and certain gambles pay off.

#577 Ruf

Ruf

• 1,278 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:16

I don't know, you tell me. Looked to me like Michael was handing Alonso, Hamilton, Button and Massa a driving lesson today while they were driving arguably supperior cars.

PS: I'm pulling your leg now; unlike you I do know that this was a weird qualification session...

#578 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:16

Same could be said for any driver, 99% of champions won their title in the best car

In his day he was maybe the best ever bar Senna but he is a has been now, washed up, he will still be recognised as one of the all time greats but this is Mansell 95 / Hill 99 /Bjorn Borg's comeback revisited

If you going to post then post facts and not dribble as you see it.

Mansell won the Oz GP on his comeback and then was too fat for the McLaren and fighting with Dennis as well - Hill never stopped and publicly stated he had lost all drive in '99 and wanted to retire and only stayed on by Jordan's urges to.

And as for Bjorn Borg, sorry I don't know about Soccer.

As for washed up he is into his 3rd race after a 3 year layoff and without testing time in one of the most competitive and hardest to pass era's ever.

#579 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:17

It's funny that the guys disliking him, and saying he never was any good were obviously expecting the most from him.

Advertisement

#580 Yorkie

Yorkie

• 2,192 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:19

Mansell won the Oz GP on his comeback and then was too fat for the McLaren and fighting with Dennis as well - Hill never stopped and publicly stated he had lost all drive in '99 and wanted to retire and only stayed on by Jordan's urges to.

As for washed up he is into his 3rd race after a 3 year layoff and without testing time in one of the most competitive and hardest to pass era's ever.

Looks like you dont know about tennis either :lol:

#581 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:19

You have destroyed your argument by not knowing about probably the greatest TENNIS player that ever lived ;)

Who made a comeback when he was about 40 and was being beaten 6-0 6-1 by teenagers

#582 Ruf

Ruf

• 1,278 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:21

You have destroyed your argument by not knowing about probably the greatest TENNIS player that ever lived ;)

Andre Agassi?

Edited by Ruf, 03 April 2010 - 11:21.

#583 r4mses

r4mses

• 1,099 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:21

/ot: Borg was a tennis player ;)

back on topic: i agree on everything you said recently in this thread.

#584 Jomyboy

Jomyboy

• 179 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:22

I CAN LIVE WITH THIS. SCHUMACHER STILL HAS PACE I GUESS. BUT THE NEW TYRES HAVE CAUGHT HIM OUT.

HAUG: " Michael decided to do a 'safe' lap and wanted to push hard on the lap afterwards but the wet tyres unfortunately only lasted one lap at their peak."

#585 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:23

Andre Agassi?

Borg won 6 French Open's and 5 Wimbledon's when guys had to use wooden rackets and rely on skill and those wins occured by the time he was 24
To me no one comes close to Borg as the greatest player ever

Edited by MegaManson, 03 April 2010 - 11:24.

#586 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:24

He won Monaco in 95.
He was lapping most of the field in Spa98 when DC took him out.
Hungary: Was by far the fastest BS runner which were the wrong tyres. Also it wasn't his last wet race- that would be China '06 where he won despite been on the much slower Bridgestones.

Look, today's Q3 was a terrible performance but saying that Merc should get in Heidfeld is just silly. I think today could very well be a sign that he will never get back to anywhere near his best but Schumacher at 95% is still better than most of the drivers on the grid. Rosberg was great today- he was the fastest guy on Inters in Q3- the guy clearly has a lot of talent.

Sorry it was 96. My point on spa and hungary iirc, was the setups and times under the different conditions, similar to what might have been discussed last week. Full downpour, full wet setup he blitzed the field.

Edited by Mr2s, 03 April 2010 - 11:26.

#587 SirSaltire

SirSaltire

• 781 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:25

:clap: bend it like Bjorn Borg :clap:

#588 Ruf

Ruf

• 1,278 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:31

Borg won 6 French Open's and 5 Wimbledon's when guys had to use wooden rackets and rely on skill and those wins occured by the time he was 24
To me no one comes close to Borg as the greatest player ever

Ilie Năstase is a former Romanian professional tennis player, one of the world's top players of the 1970s. Năstase was the World No. 1 tennis player between 1973 (August 23) and 1974 (June 2). He is one of the five players in history to win more than 100 ATP professional titles (57 singles and 45 in doubles). He was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 1991. Năstase won seven Grand Slam titles: two in singles, three in men's doubles, and two in mixed doubles. He also won four ATP World Tour Finals championships. In 2005, Tennis magazine ranked him as the 28th-best player of the preceding forty years. And yes, he used wooden rackets too; actually Nastase and Borg were rivals on court and friends off it.

I still think that Agassi is the greatest of them all, but to say that noone came close to Borg is silly. Why exactly are we talking about tennis anyway?

#589 rookie

rookie

• 416 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:40

Looks like you dont know about tennis either :lol:

OT - I'd wager Cheapy knows it's tennis and was being ironic as in what's that got to do with f1....but anyway back on topic

Bit of a soft performance from Schuey today but long race tomorrow. I'll admit i thought he would be in front of Rosberg already but so what if he's not? all tis talk of him ruining his career is BS in my opinion. I think it's awesome that he is still competitive at that age and with that kind of lay off.

#590 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,173 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:43

NICO ROSBERG
“I’m really pleased with my first front row start and it’s great for me, the whole team and PETRONAS to have such a good qualifying result in Sepang for one of our home races. It was very difficult out there today and hard to keep it on the road at times. My run in Q3 was definitely my best of the day and I put in a good time on the first quick lap. By the second lap, the tyres started to degrade so it just wasn’t possible to go any quicker from there. As soon as we went out, I thought intermediates were the way to go and maybe I should have come in but in the end it worked out well for us. Im confident that we can have a strong race from here tomorrow, if it is wet or dry, and I’m looking forward to it.”

MICHAEL SCHUMACHER
“I am obviously a little disappointed with my result today as it was evident from the earlier qualifying sessions that we looked pretty good and I clearly could have achieved more. On my last run in Q3, I wanted to secure a lap time and then go for the second lap but after I finished my first quick lap, the tyres were already gone so I could not go for it anymore. Though it is good to know the limits of the wet tyres for tomorrow, now I have to concentrate fully on the race. Congratulations to Nico today for scoring our first front row qualifying result.”

#591 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:47

Maybe he and Nico have different set-up. Will see tomorrow who have better set-up for the specific race.And start tomorrow is very important, who will make good start and who bad(if there will be a bad start). Hope nobody hit Michael again.
What tires they will start tomorrow? From the fast lap or not?

Edited by ivand911, 03 April 2010 - 11:59.

#592 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:14

To be fair schumacher hasn't always been defended to a 'decent' standard on these forums.

haha you must be new here

#593 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:20

Is this the Michael Schumacher thread or the haters are having a feast?
Third real qualification after the long break in heavy conditions and people I otherwise respect are showing a not very pleasant side of themselves.
:down:

#594 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:41

Is this the Michael Schumacher thread or the haters are having a feast?
Third real qualification after the long break in heavy conditions and people I otherwise respect are showing a not very pleasant side of themselves.
:down:

clearly the track conditions always stayed the same and noone benefited from the track drying out and then becoming even wetter again.

#595 Korben82

Korben82

• 184 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:55

Either the Mercedes makes a huge improvement come Barcelona, or I think we'll begin to hear reports about the neck injury getting worse.

Just give it time. Being 1.1 seconds off Rosberg (who hasn't won a single race in a very capable Williams last year) is pretty poor, considering all the talk about the 'regenmeister' back.

Edited by Korben82, 03 April 2010 - 12:56.

#596 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,173 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 13:06

Either the Mercedes makes a huge improvement come Barcelona, or I think we'll begin to hear reports about the neck injury getting worse.

The neck injury references are getting a bit tired, IMO....

#597 as65p

as65p

• 17,179 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 13:09

To be fair, what he does now doesn't tell much about the past, if anything. What it does tell is that right here right now, at the age of 41 and after a 3 year break, MS isn't that special anymore.

Come on, even his fans must admit that. Those were precisley the difficult conditions today he and Brawn used to excel in, because MS made it work most of the time. No excuses like "I planned to push the next lap" back then, because he had the confidence to go all out every lap.

Overall he's still doing far from bad, but the magic seems gone.

#598 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,645 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 13:19

Just give it time. Being 1.1 seconds off Rosberg (who hasn't won a single race in a very capable Williams last year) is pretty poor, considering all the talk about the 'regenmeister' back.

Amusing the amount of retarded comments concerning his neck. Will you all look like the sheep you are when by the end of the season you are proven wrong yet again as usual? :D

Edited by Szoelloe, 03 April 2010 - 13:21.

#599 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 13:37

its not poor though is it when ever changing conditions are present some people got lucky and others didnt come the race you know it wont be 1.1 seconds your just trolling like an idiot as to be expected on these forums.

Advertisement

#600 Umpire

Umpire

• 787 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 13:52

You can notice that Rosberg outqualified Schumacher by a full second, and that's fine.

But you also need to notice that whenever the two of them set lap times on comparable (somewhat steady conditions), Schumacher was always faster.

Of course MS screwed it all up in Q3 with his lap and tyre management, no question. Rosberg was better.

But MS has not 'lost it', that's far from what anyone in their right mind would tell you, looking at the whole picture. Q1, faster than Rosberg in a session where nobody took it overly easy due to threat of rain... Q2, he was fastest than anyone till the track started drying up (was in the pits then and couldn't set a lap time), and then of course it started raining again.

My whole point? Just as Rosberg was many positions down on Schumacher at a given point despite trying his best......the same happened to MS in Q3. Yes, I agree, it happened when it mattered, and if it keeps happening then it's no longer 'luck'. But you can't say the man has no talent.

Edited by Umpire, 03 April 2010 - 13:54.