Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20770 replies to this topic

#6001 Lifew12

Lifew12

• 4,551 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:37

but don't share rumours like Schumacher and his engineer not getting along.

Maybe the rumours have no substance. I don't know, but it could be so.....

Advertisement

#6002 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 59,183 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:41

So we are beholden to Mark Hughes, The Truth Filter.

#6003 topical

topical

• 2,633 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:59

Button was considered fairly average - like Rosberg - from 2000-2008 until he became WDC last year. Now he is a leading contender for the WDC against a possible All Time Great in Lewis Hamilton in the same team. Maybe he's just stepped up his game.

Maybe Rosberg has done the same too?

in my eyes Button was slightly above average and still is slightly above average, and absolutely no more. I know he's nearly equal on points with Hamilton but Hamilton has been comprehensively faster than him for most races this season and if it wasn't for mechanical DNFs plus his stupid mistakes in the last couple of races, he would be well ahead of him by now. Yes, I know results are all that counts at the end of the day when it comes to making champions, but when we compare drivers we have to look beyond that.

Rosberg may have stepped up his game, it's true. We will have to see if/when he gets paired up with a top driver at the top of his game.

Edited by topical, 28 September 2010 - 10:59.

#6004 topical

topical

• 2,633 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:02

if you imply that he is just lost because of the age etc...that is pretty difficult to believe. he would feel if he can't make it anymore
he's seen F1 through years and years of changes etc, he knows best if he can still pull it or not

I don't understand why people think age has nothing to do with it. Heck, even in golf or snooker most players decline with age, sports where fitness doesn't even play a role. If you don't believe me, listen to MS himself: in a recently broadcast interview he said there is no way a 41 has the reflexes and coordination of a 25 year old. He said the question is simply how much a 41 year old loses in comparison, and that that we can't know.

#6005 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:10

How about opening an Aditya-exclusive monologue thread on Michaels comeback?

Pretty sure it wouldn't drop from the first page :wave:

Very kind of you to suggest so, I was already thinking about it! ;)

:wave:

#6006 Lifew12

Lifew12

• 4,551 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:12

Nott all; I simply find it curious you remark that he doesn't include something you readily admit is just 'rumours'. I am no fan of Hughes in particular, as it happens, but don't judge my writers by which rumours they do, or do not, include in their analysis.

#6007 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:14

watching the car in singapore showed (again) what he keeps trying on setup....in trying to make the care point where he wants he ends up with a rear extremely unbalanced (see his mistake when passed by webber) and he also chews the rear tyres pretty quickly.

Another possibility is that he aims the setup at what he wants then races it to gather data to find what they need to do to the car to catch up with his driving.

Yes, I know results are all that counts at the end of the day when it comes to making champions, but when we compare drivers we have to look beyond that.

So XYZ is faster than ZYX but makes mistakes going faster so is a better driver?

Speak for yourself, Champions end up where they are often from knowing when to lift that right foot and take the points.

#6008 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:20

It is exactly that expression that tells the whole story - the smile that isn´t a smile. He is not a good actor, rather he looks like a clown, you see the sadness behind the facade. I have been criticized for the clown analogy, but I stay with that analogy, as it is true and symbolic of the story that is Michael Schumacher in 2010.

Aditya, what was expression on Lewis face after last two races and on Alonso face after Spa? Tell us about that.
They all look the same when they f**k up. Lewis didn't finish last two races, he need to retire? Michael was hit once by Koba, one time Heidfeld send him out of the track and one time they crashed. What you all expected,podium? Even after first hit by Koba he have chances(Sutil and Hulk punished) ,but he lost time to get to pit(more than 38 sec),and because of this he get behind Nick. We all see that first stint was not great, with heavy load he eat his tyres, with fuel for 20 laps he was OK. Webber hit Lewis much better according some people here. Michael was also bad in this hitting business. Team needed to pit him very early not to wait 30 laps, he needed to pit after 5-6 laps from Webber passing him(15-20 laps), when Suttil with his new tyres pass Glock. Or team needed to pit him with first SC, don't know why they didn't do it. Michael have 10 variants to get in the points, but didn't happen. SS tyres are his worst friend.
If they pit him with Webber he could finish well ahead(4th-5th). But, who to think at MGP stand? Why they decided that is better not to pit? What was Shovlin thinking again? He is not quick thinker if you ask me. But still RBR was quick enough to pit Webber.

Edited by ivand911, 28 September 2010 - 11:53.

#6009 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:24

Do you like the part about MS's first stint and the Kaimu ramming him causing the loss of time and long pitstop ...

Oh wait ........ :rolleyes:

He's not related to Eddie Jordan by chance?

"There is far too much movement in the Mercedes motorhome involving managers from drivers from other teams"

- yeah Eddie, they don't currently have a test/reserve driver you idiot.

#6010 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 14:29

How about opening an Aditya-exclusive monologue thread on Michaels comeback?

Pretty sure it wouldn't drop from the first page :wave:

Seriously, MS fans, give it up already per favore, it's a major victory if he even makes it past Q2 any more.

I have to say, seeing him being lapped is quite enjoyable.

#6011 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 14:45

I should like to welcom seeing Kimi v.s. Schumi shoot out at Suzuka, if Korea was to be cleared from the table this year.

Both of them hanging on his glory so the better one gets a chance, what about it?

#6012 topical

topical

• 2,633 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 15:12

So XYZ is faster than ZYX but makes mistakes going faster so is a better driver?

Speak for yourself, Champions end up where they are often from knowing when to lift that right foot and take the points.

I agree with your last point and said the same myself in another thread. A great driver is composed of many different qualities, the most important of which, but by no means the only one, is pure speed. But statistics and tables do not always tell the full story, and only a fool thinks they do.

Edited by topical, 28 September 2010 - 15:17.

#6013 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 59,183 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 15:34

Do you like the part about MS's first stint and the Kaimu ramming him causing the loss of time and long pitstop ...

Oh wait ........ :rolleyes:

I particularly enjoyed the theory that Michael has lost it because he's never going through the same corner twice. Then 2/3 through the piece he praises that aspect as the hallmark of what he could do previously. Which he can't do now, because he's no longer adaptive enough.

#6014 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 16:13

I particularly enjoyed the theory that Michael has lost it because he's never going through the same corner twice. Then 2/3 through the piece he praises that aspect as the hallmark of what he could do previously. Which he can't do now, because he's no longer adaptive enough.

and then he goes on to say oh after all it might be the tyres and theres some logic for this :rotfl:

one of the worst articles ever its like he got drunk and at the time in his head it sounded good

#6015 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,714 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 16:18

Webber hit Lewis much better according some people here. Michael was also bad in this hitting business.

Love this quote... I know it's lost in translation, but it suggests Michael would do better if he took some lessons on how to hit other cars from Mark Webber!

I'd love to be present at that meeting - two masters of the art describing the finer points of crashing into your rivals :rotfl:

#6016 Owen

Owen

• 11,124 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 16:19

I have to say, seeing him being lapped is quite enjoyable.

You're allowed some schadenfreude I guess.
But just be thankful you're not having to pass him, doesn't appear to be without it's risks!!

#6017 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 16:26

Just an interesting point about the tyres and the chassis etc not suiting MS, some may remember 1996 when Berger and Alesi went to Benneton and found Schumachers car to be undrivable such was his unique chassis requirements.

Going to be tough choice for MGP with Rosberg's performance this year and with Rosberg's age on his side to 'Schumacher' or not to 'Schumacher' the chassis.

#6018 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 16:37

They should only 'quick' the chassis. If one driver cannot adapt you replace him, not go on a wild hunt to make him quicker than the 'wrong' driver. it's not as if there is any shortage of people looking for a seat in an F1 car, but Mercedes might require another season of pain before reality sets in. Kinda like Ferrari and their Raikkonen experience.

#6019 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 59,183 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 16:42

Its obvious that for whatever reason this combination doesn't suit him. But next year we'll have new tires, a redesigned Merc, KERS(?), etc, et al. So effectively, this year will be irrelevant after Abu Dhabi.

Advertisement

#6020 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,756 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 16:54

They should only 'quick' the chassis. If one driver cannot adapt you replace him, not go on a wild hunt to make him quicker than the 'wrong' driver. it's not as if there is any shortage of people looking for a seat in an F1 car, but Mercedes might require another season of pain before reality sets in. Kinda like Ferrari and their Raikkonen experience.

But the question is what if Michael still is very good in a car that suits his driving style. We'll probably find out in the pre-season test next year.

Edited by Diablobb81, 28 September 2010 - 16:55.

#6021 topical

topical

• 2,633 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 17:01

But the question is what if Michael still is very good in a car that suits his driving style. We'll probably find out in the pre-season test next year.

If Michael is very good in a car that suits his driving style next year it's going to throw a fascinating light on the achievements of all drivers. We will know that, quite literally, Schumacher's multiple world championships were first and foremost down to his car and not him - and the same for everyone else. That would actually be kind of depressing.. You know, it's like if Ricardo Rosset had had a car that suits his style, maybe today he'd be considered an all time great? If I was a Schumacher fan, I think I'd rather he was slow again next year and then just say: ok, he's lost it, but in his prime he was magical, rather than have to reassess his whole career, which will happen.

#6022 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,756 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 17:19

If Michael is very good in a car that suits his driving style next year it's going to throw a fascinating light on the achievements of all drivers. We will know that, quite literally, Schumacher's multiple world championships were first and foremost down to his car and not him - and the same for everyone else. That would actually be kind of depressing.. You know, it's like if Ricardo Rosset had had a car that suits his style, maybe today he'd be considered an all time great? If I was a Schumacher fan, I think I'd rather he was slow again next year and then just say: ok, he's lost it, but in his prime he was magical, rather than have to reassess his whole career, which will happen.

But it's never down just to the driver. Whoever thinks that is not a realist.

It should be obvious that good or great driver can't perform to his max if even a good car, in the hands of his teammate, doesn't suit his driving style. Massa and Kimi come to mind.

And i don't think it's depressing. Michael could be magical in a car suited to his driving style even if the car wasn't that good compared to the rest of the top teams. But this year it just doesn't work out.

Edited by Diablobb81, 28 September 2010 - 17:22.

#6023 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 17:25

The most interesting bits of Brawn talking to Sportbild about Michael´s situation

Would we see Schumacher in the cockpit if he was just a normal driver like many others? "Likely not but as we know him, there´s more to come.
He´s very talented in many areas. That´s the driving part and the work together with the team. The team is very happy with the manner he´s working.
Would Michael be a rookie, we would question ourselves if he has enough potential to develop himself further now. With Michael, we know he certainly is.
Michael´s driving style is dependent on a "strong" front tyre that resists his hard braking and steering maneuvers and the high cornering speed he has.
Nico just understood better how he has to use these front tyres. That should not sound like an excuse. Nico is a fantastic driver, a real yardstick.
We expect a different front tyre with a character that suit´s Michael more. We don´t know the tyre data yet but it can´t be as abnormal as the current Bridgestone tyres. Then we know if Michael is really worse than Nico."

Brawn is sure that Schumacher lost nothing of this talent
"If I look at the telemetry data, then, with an eye on the fast turns and his reaction time (when the car is slipping away ), there is 0 difference to earlier days. He´s still the old guy there, like in the past. During the slower turns he´s stuggling to use the tyres the same wa Nico does. That´s why I believe the real Michael will return next year.
But even if that´s not the case he doesn´t belive MS will retire earlier
"Michael is more relaxed now. 5 years ago the current situation would have been a hard task for him. He´s cooler now and matured. I don´t want to say he´s less ambitious but I´m surprised how quiet he stays at the moment, despite his lack of success.
Brawn is sure that one thing will not happen - MS as the Mercedes team boss. "He´s an intelligent guy with a faultless family. I doubt that would be the right job for him. You don´t get the adrenalin you experience while driving. 12h/day in the factory won´t satisfy him, let alone motivate."

Edited by Urawa, 28 September 2010 - 17:28.

#6024 topical

topical

• 2,633 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 17:40

But it's never down just to the driver. Whoever thinks that is not a realist.

It should be obvious that good or great driver can't perform to his max if even a good car, in the hands of his teammate, doesn't suit his driving style. Massa and Kimi come to mind.

And i don't think it's depressing. Michael could be magical in a car suited to his driving style even if the car wasn't that good compared to the rest of the top teams. But this year it just doesn't work out.

I know we're going round and round in circles but Schumacher drove in many different cars over his career, some great, some good, some bad, and was never trounced by a teammate like this year. I just cannot believe it's all down to the tyres and car
I guess we will have to wait till next year to find out,

#6025 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 20:41

I know we're going round and round in circles but Schumacher drove in many different cars over his career, some great, some good, some bad, and was never trounced by a teammate like this year. I just cannot believe it's all down to the tyres and car

Indeed I don't think the car and tyres can explain it all. I believe he may actually have peaked in the late 90s aged about 30. His last two years didn't look exactly mega when Alonso was well up to the job of racing him head to head. Maybe his skillls were already significantly in decline in 2006 and by 2010 he was well past it. It's all speculation but remember Michael has done as much preseason testing of this car as Nico has. The direction of development of the car would have had as much input from Michael as anyone. OK, Michael may be dialling up a menu for 2011 of all the missing "ingredients" he wants on the improved new model but I see no reason why Nico won't be the most grateful recipient of these if they are "successful". The pace that Michael trundled around at last Sunday was an eye opener, it's hard to believe such a great champion is incapable of adapting his style to a greater degree. As you say we will have to wait until next year (if he chooses to prolong the misery).

#6026 Anssi

Anssi

• 1,899 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 20:47

Well, I could bet my dog (if I had one) that Nico Rosberg has studied Michael Schumacher's driving style in preparation for a possible shock that next year's car would be very very different to his older F1 cars because it would have been adapted to Michael's style.

Nico is certainly not a dumb guy, quite the contrary. He does his homework. Schumi can't get one up on him by assuming that Nico doesn't do homework.

Of course if Schumi stays as a race driver for another season alongside Nico then we will have fun watching what happens. I hope Schumi stays - I want to see it.

Edited by Anssi, 28 September 2010 - 20:48.

#6027 SpeedyS

SpeedyS

• 236 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 22:49

Eddie Jordon and some of the BBC team seem so focused on MS and trying to create uncertainly about next year when clearly nothing will change. Its almost embarrassing that everyday they have a did different member of their team trying to stir something up.
Now Senna and Klien, that is worth talking about but no one is interested.

#6028 Curt000

Curt000

• 207 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 22:52

He'll be back next year ! This year is just getting back into things and getting next years car ready to actually suit him.

#6029 RSNS

RSNS

• 1,512 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 23:18

An interesting piece from Mark Hughes about Schumacher's decline. I get a bit sceptical when a journalist starts to go into too much detail about the way drivers take apexes and so on - remind me of the garbage Peter Windsor used to write. But still, there may be validity to it:
Schumacher

I think that article is correct: Schumacher corrects rather more because he doesn't anticipate as he used to do; he doesn't adapt to the car as he used to; his trajectories seem erratic. Also, he is getting worse, not better.

Much as this pains me to say, I think he is finished.

#6030 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,820 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 23:24

if his problem is age related (i.e. he's finished because in the last years he's got older and lost his feel) how can you explain that he is getting worse? it's not like he starts degrading each day now!

#6031 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 23:26

Just an interesting point about the tyres and the chassis etc not suiting MS, some may remember 1996 when Berger and Alesi went to Benneton and found Schumachers car to be undrivable such was his unique chassis requirements.

Going to be tough choice for MGP with Rosberg's performance this year and with Rosberg's age on his side to 'Schumacher' or not to 'Schumacher' the chassis.

You are nailing it, cheapracer!!!

Let´s have the MGP car 2011 schumachered! All will be better off :up:

#6032 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:10

He'll be back next year ! This year is just getting back into things and getting next years car ready to actually suit him.

:rolleyes: So his chief weapon is his drawing board..... You are aware the new car can't be tested until after this season is over? Or maybe you're being deliberately funny, OK I take the bait.

#6033 Paco

Paco

• 1,430 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:31

Michael brought Ferrari into a winning team and as a result, the car was developed with his perferences in mind and the tire companies also provided compounds that highlighted his perferences. So he felt comfortable for well over a decade having what he wanted.

This year, the tire situtation is very different and the compounds were developed with Michael in-mind nor was the MGP01. So for the 1st time in a long time, he just jumped into car and had to deal with what was a hand. That being said, he did say from pretty much the 1st time he turned a lap that he wasn't comfortable and that there was a major issue with the car.. which was spot on. However, we the lack of in-season testing and ability for Mercedes to B spec their car without breaking the rules as well as the fact that their is a change in tire constructors next season, it was all the perfect storm for Michael to stall this year.

That being said, he has kept within a hair of his teammate but that is hard for some to accept based on history.. however, Michael 2.0 isn't and shouldn't be compared to Michael at Benneton and Ferrari. Different era, different rules, different finances. That being said, i as Brawn feel Michael is still Michael as long as the car is sorted out next season, we'll see Michael back in front of his team mate and maybe competiting for a win and podiums a time or 2 next season.

#6034 cindy4ever33

cindy4ever33

• 47 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:50

The most interesting bits of Brawn talking to Sportbild about Michael´s situation

Would we see Schumacher in the cockpit if he was just a normal driver like many others? "Likely not but as we know him, there´s more to come.
He´s very talented in many areas. That´s the driving part and the work together with the team. The team is very happy with the manner he´s working.
Would Michael be a rookie, we would question ourselves if he has enough potential to develop himself further now. With Michael, we know he certainly is.
Michael´s driving style is dependent on a "strong" front tyre that resists his hard braking and steering maneuvers and the high cornering speed he has.
Nico just understood better how he has to use these front tyres. That should not sound like an excuse. Nico is a fantastic driver, a real yardstick.
We expect a different front tyre with a character that suit´s Michael more. We don´t know the tyre data yet but it can´t be as abnormal as the current Bridgestone tyres. Then we know if Michael is really worse than Nico."

Brawn is sure that Schumacher lost nothing of this talent
"If I look at the telemetry data, then, with an eye on the fast turns and his reaction time (when the car is slipping away ), there is 0 difference to earlier days. He´s still the old guy there, like in the past. During the slower turns he´s stuggling to use the tyres the same wa Nico does. That´s why I believe the real Michael will return next year.
But even if that´s not the case he doesn´t belive MS will retire earlier
"Michael is more relaxed now. 5 years ago the current situation would have been a hard task for him. He´s cooler now and matured. I don´t want to say he´s less ambitious but I´m surprised how quiet he stays at the moment, despite his lack of success.
Brawn is sure that one thing will not happen - MS as the Mercedes team boss. "He´s an intelligent guy with a faultless family. I doubt that would be the right job for him. You don´t get the adrenalin you experience while driving. 12h/day in the factory won´t satisfy him, let alone motivate."

Any link on this article? When did Brawn say this?

#6035 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:37

Luca di Montezemolo was right, this is not the same schumacher he knew and what drove for them in the past.

He nailed it on it's head, didn't he/?

MAYBE, Schumacher has still a secret contract with Ferrari, and is not allowed to be fast at all. He get's an extra secret income this way. (could be millions ya know, just see how much Ferrari pay's Kimi to not race F1 in 2010 ?!!?)

Nothing is to weird in F1, I think it's pretty possible. Hence, the reason he still uses his red helmet!!!

#6036 topical

topical

• 2,633 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:44

Eddie Jordon and some of the BBC team seem so focused on MS and trying to create uncertainly about next year when clearly nothing will change. Its almost embarrassing that everyday they have a did different member of their team trying to stir something up.
Now Senna and Klien, that is worth talking about but no one is interested.

No one's talking about Senna and Klien because Klien isn't particularly good, and we now know that Senna is considerably worse.
Senna will be gone from F1 next year, Klien might get a seat on the back of this, but he's never going to amount to much.

#6037 as65p

as65p

• 18,479 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:01

if his problem is age related (i.e. he's finished because in the last years he's got older and lost his feel) how can you explain that he is getting worse? it's not like he starts degrading each day now!

Not like that, of course. But it's a triviality that a season of F1 wears out everyone. At this point of the year I bet every driver longs for the break, those still in with a shot probably less so, but especially the rest. And that's precisley where MS' age might come in, more than anywhere else, and explain his relative decline since the first third of the season.

From the start of the comeback I thought that the simple, boring reality of his age will hinder him most, and frankly I still see everything pointing to that.

#6038 baddog

baddog

• 24,035 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:21

if his problem is age related (i.e. he's finished because in the last years he's got older and lost his feel) how can you explain that he is getting worse?

Well, he isnt. Singapore was a crap race, but there is no trend towards getting worse. The season has been a mixture of 'meh' races, with the odd really bad one and a handful of very good ones. There is no trend over time worth mentioning.

#6039 Lifew12

Lifew12

• 4,551 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:35

There is no trend over time worth mentioning.

Apart from his team mate being better than him just about everywhere, that is.

Advertisement

#6040 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 59,183 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:36

But by accountable fractions. Schumacher isn't dramatically off the pace if you look at it from an engineering standpoint.

#6041 Lifew12

Lifew12

• 4,551 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:38

But by accountable fractions. Schumacher isn't dramatically off the pace if you look at it from an engineering standpoint.

Looking at it from a racing standpoint he's being beaten. I didn't say he was dramatically off the pace.

#6042 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:00

Any link on this article? When did Brawn say this?

Most recent front pages articles; I read it too, but I am lazy to do the search.

#6043 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,708 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:25

he's about 0.4 secs off everywhere so his pace is pretty much what you'd expect from a good number two driver but there are three problems.

1) that gap is to an unknown quantity, no-one knows how good rosberg really is and if he isn't outstanding that makes schumachers pace abysmal.

2) schumacher used to be 0.3 secs ahead of his team mates so really you're talking of having lost 0.7 secs in raw pace.

3) the team are paying him superstar money for his solid number 2 drives which makes no sense at all, why not just hire a number 2 and put the money into the car?

#6044 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:35

You seems to be suggesting then because car suits to Rosberg, it must suit to Schumacher as well. This is perhaps a false assumption to beggin with.

#6045 Lifew12

Lifew12

• 4,551 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:53

You seems to be suggesting then because car suits to Rosberg, it must suit to Schumacher as well. This is perhaps a false assumption to beggin with.

That's a good point, but what if the car doesn't actually suit Rosberg at all? What if he is just making the better job of it?

#6046 marchi-91

marchi-91

• 440 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:59

Wow. How short sited and ignorant can you get? For a car to be suited to a drivers style he first has to give them feedback. The better the feed back the more precise the car can cater to the drivers needs. But when a car is completely designed around another driver with an almost polar opposite driving style, you can hardly blame him from struggling.

#6047 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:00

he's about 0.4 secs off everywhere so his pace is pretty much what you'd expect from a good number two driver but there are three problems.

1) that gap is to an unknown quantity, no-one knows how good rosberg really is and if he isn't outstanding that makes schumachers pace abysmal.

2) schumacher used to be 0.3 secs ahead of his team mates so really you're talking of having lost 0.7 secs in raw pace.

3) the team are paying him superstar money for his solid number 2 drives which makes no sense at all, why not just hire a number 2 and put the money into the car?

Schumacher isn't even putting solid no2 drives his team mate has been very consistantly scoring points at almost 3 times the rate.

#6048 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:25

Schmacher has finished his best period, he is too old, that is what I do think.

But,...

I have no reason not to believe Ross Brawn, let us put it in this way.

If Schumacher goes, he goes with Ross Brawn.

#6049 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,820 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:48

Schumacher isn't even putting solid no2 drives his team mate has been very consistantly scoring points at almost 3 times the rate.

they are scoring points in the area where 2 positions down means a lot less points in percentage
(7th gets 6points, 9 gets 2 points which is only a third)

#6050 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,883 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:35

Exactly.

Kimi hated the BS tyres in 2007/2008 and he came away with a WDC and 2 WCC's. In 2007, Alonso had similar problems yet managed wins and a championship fight.
Schumacher is so far behind Rosberg (especially for someone of his caliber) that it has to be more than just the "car and tyres" not suiting him.

That said Im sure next year, with a new car and Pirellis, Schumacher will be alot closer to Rosberg, though not what he once was.