Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#6501 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:32

And I thought before his pit stop "please let him stay out for another 2-3 laps to be sure to stay out of traffic" and what are they doing seconds later? ...

Advertisement

#6502 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:34

Michael has been good this weekend. I wonder if he´d been able to pass Nico though if not for the accident.

He will not, it was team order not to. He lower his pace by 1,5s after Nico crash.
He was keeping Nico back in this race. But, if Nico wasn't crashing they both would be passed by Koba.

#6503 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:35

Good race. Not happy how team behave.

#6504 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,767 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:37

Schumacher dominated Rosberg this race, going to savour this after the idiots on this forum were able to savour his poor performances. His race pace was much better than Rosberg's and he made a great move on Ruben's in the same breath as his team-mate bullsed up a move.

#6505 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:38

Eh? Nico didn't need to let him by. Schumacher had a go, Nico defended cleanly, that's racing. They don't gain anything exta by having Michael ahead.

they dont ?
he probably would have caught hamilton who lost 3rd gear and probably wouldnt have been able to accelerate anywhere near as fast as the mercedes out of the hairpin

check how he gaisn 1.2seconds on hamilton in the middle sector !
Posted Image

at the end schumacher did a 1:34.8 while a few laps previous behind rosberg he was doing alot of 1:36.8

Edited by arknor, 10 October 2010 - 07:39.

#6506 Spa95

Spa95

• 861 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:39

Schumacher dominated Rosberg this race, going to savour this after the idiots on this forum were able to savour his poor performances.

:up:

...and he made a great move on Ruben's in the same breath as his team-mate bullsed up a move.

Was there ever a replay of it? The director kept missing all the important stuff today....

#6507 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,739 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:39

Schumacher dominated Rosberg this race, going to savour this after the idiots on this forum were able to savour his poor performances. His race pace was much better than Rosberg's and he made a great move on Ruben's in the same breath as his team-mate bullsed up a move.

We apparently have a vey different view of domination. Michael was very good - better than expected but a domination...

If finishing in front of your teammate who had a big accident consoles you, be my guest :)

#6508 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:40

What a hilarious race. Michael pretty much owned Rosberg today...isn't this also the first track that both drivers didn't drive at last season?

Looks like the Schumacher fans have been proven right,after all. 41 and three years out and he's still capable of performances like that: I really don't care now even if he has a string of DNFs all the way to the end of the season.

#6509 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

5th was very possible after all. Shame.

#6510 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,767 posts

they dont ?
he probably would have caught hamilton who lost 3rd gear and probably wouldnt have been able to accelerate anywhere near as fast as the mercedes out of the hairpin
Posted Image

at the end schumacher did a 1:34.8 while a few laps previous behind rosberg he was doing alot of 1:36.8

For sure if Mercedes has let Schumacher past Rosberg Schumacher would have had a very good chance of an ailing Hamilton. Hamilton was horribly slow from slow corners, horridly.

Rosberg far too fragile to disrupt. He has a good mental state and is performing well, Mercedes couldn't tell him to move over or they might trigger a downward trend...

#6511 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,980 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:41

We apparently have a vey different view of domination. Michael was very good - better than expected but a domination...

If finishing in front of your teammate who had a big accident consoles you, be my guest :)

Schumacher's best race of the season! Yet certainly no domination - Nico controlled Michael till his suspension broke...

#6512 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,767 posts

Dominated on pace, there wasn't a moment Rosberg ever had Schumacher's pace today, nowhere near.

#6513 Umpire

Umpire

• 787 posts

I know there is no 'ifs' and 'buts', but Merc was stupid to pit MS when they did, while he was still capable of going faster than Rosberg on the soft rubber. If they would have waited 3 more laps, MS would have been ahead, and maybe he could have even caught Hamilton in the end...

#6514 black magic

black magic

• 3,852 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:42

well the call to pit michael when he was still extending his gap to nico shows where the team focus has gone. then to allow nico to keep him back when lewis injured comes back to bite them in the butt.

nico was doing well given his start but today michael was the quicker

interesting that his 2 best races at 2 of most difficult. not bad for the old dog. that'll put a spring in his step

#6515 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,980 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:42

What a hilarious race. Michael pretty much owned Rosberg today..

Why didn't Michael overtake him then? Nico would not have done anything unsensible...

#6516 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,020 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:43

At the point they were making strategy calls, no one knew Hamilton would be so slow later.

#6517 Umpire

Umpire

• 787 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:43

Oh yeah, if anything such races prove that Michael has not 'lost it'; he is well capable of racing with the best. And the so-called 'tyre excuses' may not be unsubstantiated after all. But the man is a Suzuka maestro.

Edited by Umpire, 10 October 2010 - 07:44.

#6518 Collective

Collective

• 1,090 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:44

Solid performance today. Makes u wonder what would have happen if he managed to qualify ahead of all Williams, FI and Sauber cars and stayed ahead of them after turn 1 consistently.

He started doing 1.35s right after Nico's car failed. We need more of this from him!

Edited by Collective, 10 October 2010 - 07:47.

#6519 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:44

At the point they were making strategy calls, no one knew Hamilton would be so slow later.

Sure, but that still does not explain why they pit him there. A few laps more and Rosberg would have never seen MS in this race.

Advertisement

#6520 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:46

Why didn't Michael overtake him then? Nico would not have done anything unsensible...

because as many drivers have said , you need 2 be over 2 seconds faster to overtake , schumacher was clearly only 1.5-2seconds quicker.

all the times when rosberg has aparently been held up my michael we neversaw rosberg show pace whilst behind like schumacher did today

#6521 MrGBrown

MrGBrown

• 158 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:46

For sure if Mercedes has let Schumacher past Rosberg Schumacher would have had a very good chance of an ailing Hamilton. Hamilton was horribly slow from slow corners, horridly.

Rosberg far too fragile to disrupt. He has a good mental state and is performing well, Mercedes couldn't tell him to move over or they might trigger a downward trend...

You realise hamilton had no 3rd gear so was horridly slow in pulling from corners?
If ham didnt have that problem no chance of schu catching him. But anyway I came to this thread to say that I actually liked watching him drive today. Im by far a fan of his but :up: for him today! Good job, be interesting to watch him in 2011 im sure.

#6522 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:49

If you've followed his career at all you'd know he's the sort that bides his time before going for it in the closing stages of the GP. I'm almost certain he would've barged past at the chicane or something.

#6523 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,767 posts

You realise hamilton had no 3rd gear so was horridly slow in pulling from corners?
If ham didnt have that problem no chance of schu catching him. But anyway I came to this thread to say that I actually liked watching him drive today. Im by far a fan of his but :up: for him today! Good job, be interesting to watch him in 2011 im sure.

Give it a rest, obviously we all know why Hamilton was slow. You don't need to campaign for Hamilton all over the forum in other driver topics. No-one is suggesting Hamilton lacked talent to accelerate out of corners.

#6524 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,980 posts

Oh yeah, if anything such races prove that Michael has not 'lost it'; he is well capable of racing with the best. And the so-called 'tyre excuses' may not be unsubstantiated after all. But the man is a Suzuka maestro.

He has not lost it in Suzuka, so much is clear. Great race, there is still life in the old dog, and it will give Michael confidence for the future.

#6525 tormave

tormave

• 949 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:51

And after this ,why isn't Michael doing points? Because he is working for the team. He is not self-centred like Nico.

If they finished 6-7 like they were going before Nico's rear suspension/wheel/tyre failure, Nico would've overtaken Massa in WDC and pulled further away from Kubica. I should think the team is interested in that as well. That's really the only points fight left for MGP as in MS can't get ahead of anyone in the WDC anymore and in WCC they are over 150 points behind Ferrari.

#6526 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,767 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:51

No way. Rosberg wouldn't have done a 'Schumacher-Rubens' but he wouldn't have been tame or sensible, there would have been a risk diving up the inside of Rosberg (No attack on Rosberg here). Getting passed by Schumacher is the last thing he wants after everything he has done... especially at Suzuka of all circuits.

#6527 vovelo

vovelo

• 87 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:56

Well Done Michael ! :up:
Very very good race for him :cool: Good start ( very often this year ), overtook Barrichello , good race pace for first stint on soft .
but he still need to improve his quali pace as it's main factor for race results . I hope he will do it next year .
and yes,we ahead of Sutil again :wave:

#6528 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:56

2 things that should be worth mentioned today I think:

- IIRC first time this year that Michael could immediately push after a SC, on other occasions he was going backwards
- tyre wear was not a problem at the end of the race like we have seen at most other weekends.

Let´s see if this can be translated to other circuits.

Edited by Urawa, 10 October 2010 - 07:59.

#6529 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,767 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:57

Well Done Michael ! :up:
Very very good race for him :cool: Good start ( very often this year ), overtook Barrichello , good race pace for first stint on soft .
but he still need to improve his quali pace as it's main factor for race results . I hope he will do it next year .
and yes,we ahead of Sutil again :wave:

I think his pace all weekend has been good, but he said on the grid to the BBC he had F-Duct issues which caused a disappointing qualifying result.

#6530 roflcopter

roflcopter

• 159 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:59

I honestly thimk micheal was hanging back and waiting till the last few laps to try and force the situation rather that have him and nico lose time fighting each other.. He had the pace and fresher tyres, but its ony that Nico crashed that we didnt see him try again.

#6531 gaston_foix

gaston_foix

• 2,678 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:00

Well done Michael :up: :up:

#6532 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,476 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:01

Lol Merc F-duct was not working normally for Schumi in quali. It was deploying in the corners. :rotfl:

#6533 rog

rog

• 907 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:08

Lol Merc F-duct was not working normally for Schumi in quali. It was deploying in the corners. :rotfl:

At least another excuse für Schumacher.

#6534 vovelo

vovelo

• 87 posts

but he said on the grid to the BBC he had F-Duct issues which caused a disappointing qualifying result.

it's new for me,thanks for sharing it :up:
I read Schumi quote after quali in team's press release and no any reply about "F-Duct issues"

#6535 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

At least another excuse für Schumacher.

Today´s pace suggests 10th was by far not his real pace

#6536 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:09

Very good interview on RTL. Michael very happy. He said that he think to attack Nico again in later stages. Very happy with the car today, working like supposed to. Also Ralf commentator for RTL is good luck for Michael, I think. As we see his first sector was very good in the race, not like in Qauly. He say that if Nico was not his team-mate he could attack him harder. I was surprised that he could leave Bari behind. I was thinking Williams car have better pace.

Edited by ivand911, 10 October 2010 - 08:12.

#6537 rog

rog

• 907 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:12

Today´s pace suggests 10th was by far not his real pace

Impossible to judge without Rosberg as indicator due to his early stop.

#6538 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 641 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:13

And yet, Schumacher was faster than Rosberg in both FP sessions and then he suddenly lost four tenths or so. That doesn't need to be explained, right?

#6539 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:14

Rosberg was an indicator at FP1/FP2 and Michael was not lacking 3-5 tenths there which suddenly turned up today in the morning

Advertisement

#6540 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:15

This could be said about Michael in a lot of races for different reasons. But, you didn't think that way then? Strange.

Edited by ivand911, 10 October 2010 - 08:15.

#6541 rog

rog

• 907 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:17

And yet, Schumacher was faster than Rosberg in both FP sessions and then he suddenly lost four tenths or so. That doesn't need to be explained, right?

A practice session is a practice session, could be different fuel, setup or other reasons we don't know. Look to heidfeld, slower than Kobayashi on Friday and faster in Qualifying. All this means nothing.

#6542 MrGBrown

MrGBrown

• 158 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:19

@ Redbaron. I was saying MSC did a very good job today. I do actually think that the car will be better next year with Ross involved. I think he will be looking for a 1-3 wdc title next year. Looking forward to it.

#6543 baddog

baddog

• 23,330 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:19

A practice session is a practice session, could be different fuel, setup or other reasons we don't know. Look to heidfeld, slower than Kobayashi on Friday and faster in Qualifying. All this means nothing.

However if Michael DID say something was wrong with his F-Duct (which I dont know, I didnt see it) then there was something wrong. You could accuse the man of a lot but lying about a tech issue to excuse his performance? Nothing could be more out of character.

#6544 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 641 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:20

But still you can conclude that Schumacher is searching for excuses as to why he wasn't so fast in quali, yes?

Also, looking at the times, Schumacher was still going 0,5 seconds/lap faster than Nico when he pitted. I don't understand why MGP didn't keep him out for a few more laps to put him ahead with the better tires. It seems like a fairly poor pitting decision.

Hamilton might have been in reach. They finished 20 seconds apart, with Schumacher doing laps that were 1-2 seconds/lap faster than Hamilton after Rosberg's out.

Edited by PoliFanAthic, 10 October 2010 - 08:22.

#6545 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,307 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:24

Good pace from Schumacher today best of the non championship battlers. This is a real drivers circuit so to me its proof MS still has it somewhere. He just needs to see if he can find it consistently for 2011 and not just on his favorite track.

#6546 rog

rog

• 907 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:24

However if Michael DID say something was wrong with his F-Duct (which I dont know, I didnt see it) then there was something wrong. You could accuse the man of a lot but lying about a tech issue to excuse his performance? Nothing could be more out of character.

Not really, could be an excuse for his poor Qualifying as I said.

#6547 baddog

baddog

• 23,330 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:28

But still you can conclude that Schumacher is searching for excuses as to why he wasn't so fast in quali, yes?

Well no, if there WAS a technical problem of that kind he doesnt need excuses, getting to Q3 was an amazing effort. Im hoping to find out what he DID say though..

#6548 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:32

He said F-duct was not working properly in Qualy. I guess he was fast today:
http://www.fia.com/e...race-speeds.pdf
http://www.fia.com/e...n-race-trap.pdf
Not happen often. So much speed.

Edited by ivand911, 10 October 2010 - 08:33.

#6549 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 641 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:32

I saw him on RTL, he said F-duct was working in the corners, whereby the rear of the car was "looser" (said something about 4-5%) and that this cost time especially in the first sector.

He also went on to say that he's had problems with the car quite a few times, problems that sometimes weren't apparent "outside" through anything else but the lack of pace.

I don't know, maybe he feels a bit pressured by all this negative media.

P.S. My reply was for rog.

Edited by PoliFanAthic, 10 October 2010 - 08:33.

#6550 r4mses

r4mses

• 1,099 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:33

In RTL's post race iview he said if it wasn't his teammate in front oh him, he would've passed him.