Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#7251 baddog

baddog

• 23,602 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:14

I think even the most passionate antis have now realised he is easily up to standard for a place in a team like merc. Oh how the tone changes over a few weeks eh.

Advertisement

#7252 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,572 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:34

Yep, a fine drive by Michael today. :up:

Looking good for 2011, I'd say.

#7253 black magic

black magic

• 3,880 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:11

fascinating that even for a 7 x wdc nothing like a little bit of confidence to get the mojo working again

interesting that happened at what will be 3 of the tougher circuits, and certainly with yesterdays conditions korea would rank up there

#7254 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,071 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:34

Glad the old dog came back from a crap season to take a very deserving 4th place. MS is on a roll, seems like things are finally shining for him.

#7255 Polle

Polle

• 292 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:47

Nice passing on the wets. Totally different Schu from China this year.

#7256 SchumiP1

SchumiP1

• 92 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:48

Any video of Schumi's overtake on Kubica/Button?

I've yet to find footage of Schumi going past Kubica, but here's the classic maneuver he pulled on Button: click

#7257 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:05

He was surprised with wet tyre behavior in China(his style finish them quickly). And he did everything yesterday not to repeat it. He show that he learn about tyres, and he kept his inters best yesterday. Even if his speed suffer from this. If he was pushing after Massa I guess his tyres would gone for 10 laps maybe. I really don't like this type of racing, to preserve tyres? What is this? But, this is modern F1. I like 3 stint races, you use tyre to the maximum and race to the maximum. Now you keep your tyres. Stupid. Hopes for good race in Brazil. Still there is two slow corners 8th and 10th which could be a problem. And they will use again super soft/medium compound which is not very preferable.

Edited by ivand911, 25 October 2010 - 07:43.

#7258 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,785 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:37

there are only 2 slow corners and he could get away with them. the cars will be set up for the fast section anyway
he's always been quite fast on traditional circuits and brazil is a classical one.
mercedes seem to have picked up their game and michael seems to have picked up his.

what tyres are bridgestone bringing in brazil?

#7259 SpeedyS

SpeedyS

• 236 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:07

MS proved something to me today, in the wet he was able to keep up with massa which gives me hope that with a compeditive car which has been designed with his imput he has got a chance of challenging the younger guys. I will retain hope. I was at the race and it was great to see him fighting with the faster cars.

Advertisement

#7260 Scotracer

Scotracer

• 2,720 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:23

Well if you look at the attitude of his car in China you could visibly see the problems with it - it had no rear end grip...at all. And if you can see which end of the car is sliding more, from a trackside camera, you know you have a problem. Something was terribly wrong with that W01 in China.

#7261 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:27

MS proved something to me today, in the wet he was able to keep up with massa which gives me hope that with a compeditive car which has been designed with his imput he has got a chance of challenging the younger guys. I will retain hope. I was at the race and it was great to see him fighting with the faster cars.

Trouble is Rosberg proved much more, if not for Webber collecting Rosberg on rebound Merc would probably have had a solid podium and MS would have bee one place down the order.

#7262 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,333 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:27

Welcome back Michael, it is good to see the man back in charge of the car, cant wait for Brazil! Go Michael

#7263 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:32

Trouble is Rosberg proved much more, if not for Webber collecting Rosberg on rebound Merc would probably have had a solid podium and MS would have bee one place down the order.

It is like only Nico have bad luck this year????? And you still come here in Michael thread to tell us that he is better. I think there is thread for this(Nico Vs Michael) and I strongly advise Nico fans finally to start his thread. Not to come here to discuss Nico affairs.

Edited by ivand911, 25 October 2010 - 08:36.

#7264 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,333 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:35

Also, has anyone got a high res pic of Schumacher's helmet design? im trying to colour match it to paint a wall, and i took Autosport to the shop on Saturday but they couldn't match it, they said that if i could get a solid 1 inch square of the colour, then i could email the paint company online with it, i haven't been able to find a suitable pic yet tho

#7265 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,190 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:54

Brazil should be good for Schumacher too, it has long sweeping fast corners that don't hurt the front tyres (like Spain, Turkey, Spa, Suzuka etc) and he should have another good showing there too.

I don't know what Abu Dhabi will be like for the Mercedes, I suspect they'll be fifth fastest car there.

#7266 SpeedyS

SpeedyS

• 236 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:56

Yes NR was good, in fact I would say he was great in Qual.

#7267 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:18

Also, has anyone got a high res pic of Schumacher's helmet design? im trying to colour match it to paint a wall, and i took Autosport to the shop on Saturday but they couldn't match it, they said that if i could get a solid 1 inch square of the colour, then i could email the paint company online with it, i haven't been able to find a suitable pic yet tho

Try this website:
http://motorsport.ne...d61e6c55529f7ec
They have a lot of pictures from the season. You need to find useful one. Problem is that there is different lightings which change original color. Some of the pictures are in high res.

#7268 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,333 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:23

Thanks ivand911, i appreciate it, i will email to the paint company

#7269 Number62

Number62

• 494 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:33

I don't think MSC drove a great race at Korea. I think he drove a good race, or 'solid' as some others have described it.

I think he showed skill and bravery at the beginning but from then on he didn't really beat anyone on merit that he wouldn't be expected to in the MGP (with the exception of the clearly out of sorts McLaren of Button).

He did however keep it on the track and get to the end which deserves plaudits and is more than some of his peers managed. Webber is the only one among the 'top' drivers to self induce his own race end though.

For me there's nothing to suggest this is a turning point in performance or form, just a 'solid' race.

#7270 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,535 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:39

it was a good solid drive by schumacher but lets not forget that 3 cars were taken out ahead of him so on merit it would have been a 7th with the only wet set up on the grid.

Not spectacular but he kept it on the black stuff whilst others didn't so deserves some credit for that.

#7271 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,937 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:51

I don't think MSC drove a great race at Korea. I think he drove a good race, or 'solid' as some others have described it.

I think he showed skill and bravery at the beginning but from then on he didn't really beat anyone on merit that he wouldn't be expected to in the MGP (with the exception of the clearly out of sorts McLaren of Button).

He did however keep it on the track and get to the end which deserves plaudits and is more than some of his peers managed. Webber is the only one among the 'top' drivers to self induce his own race end though.

For me there's nothing to suggest this is a turning point in performance or form, just a 'solid' race.

I like to add these wet tyres/intermediates have more sensitive zones and periods of freshness and don't like to be on the attack often, they liked to be drived a certain way, I don't think Michael was pushing once he got into 4th place, by keeping the position, now had these tyres neen the old sort Michael used to drive on, anyone remembers those great intermediates bridgstone used to do, even michelin's wet tyres in 2006 rocked, then I'm sure Michael could of took some risks if he wanted to in pushing, he tried that in malasyia qualifying, was 1st in the one of the sessions, then ruined his tyres in the last session by pushing too early. The limits of his mercedes and how they treat it's tyres is how Michael was driving his race, the only reference poiint was Nico and he was out. To be ahead of Kubica and finish ahead of Renault objective complete. Had Kubica been ahead of Michael by a bit, likely Michael would of pushed more towards the end, but driving fast every lap does not always win you points, races and championships, decisions on when to push is important, if we look at Vettel's engine, he was on the attack, he has no points. When you have a opportunity to preserve things, then do it, that's how these rules saves drivers, and the regulations make drivers attack less.

If we had pitstop 4 tyres, 1 race engines, all out attack in the old days, our old Schumacher would of been a bit more wild, even the rules seem to encourage more jenson button smooth driving to save the blasted tyres thing.

The car design of ferrari/redbull/mac is helping those drivers preserve their tyres more, nothing Schumacher can do there.

I don't expect Michael to solve his issues this year, he wasn't ready for these regulations, the team had no resources to fight for a title this year the way they would of wanted, testing is gone, all in all, I'm glad he's gotten some good races in for what was a far more difficult year for him to return in then expected.

#7272 wati

wati

• 1,091 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:57

rosberg retired after only 1 lap and a half. how can anyone say he was "on fire", he was challenging for the win etc. he did the very same schumi did that lap, drive fast and overtake one driver. other speculations about what he could have done, based on vague hypotesis with no support, are pointless. both mercs did very good at the start and were clearly very fast in the early stages, then schumi lost ground with the track drying so i think similar would happen to rosberg. but at the time they were on track, a very short time anyway, they were both excellent, so saying that rosberg was on another level today and stuff like that, are not proved neither based on anything valueble

Yeah, well, that's right, but you seem to forget that Nico totaly owned MS during the SC period! :rotfl:

#7273 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,190 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:16

it was a good solid drive by schumacher but lets not forget that 3 cars were taken out ahead of him so on merit it would have been a 7th with the only wet set up on the grid.

That's assuming they'd all have kept it pointing the right way......

Which other 'rein meister' did well, Sutil? Glock? Button?

There's always a bitterness when it comes to discussing Schumacher.

#7274 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,535 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:57

That's assuming they'd all have kept it pointing the right way......

Which other 'rein meister' did well, Sutil? Glock? Button?

There's always a bitterness when it comes to discussing Schumacher.

vettel was doing rather well at the front, i thought hamilton did well but not astonishing but then neither of them had a dedicated wet set up.

I don't understand the bitterness comment, he would have finished 7th in the only team that went for a wet setting, he did well to keep it on the island but i don't see anything 'amazing' about his drive. The fact that it's a good result in comparison to the rest of his season says more about how bad his season has been.

#7275 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,562 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:24

And i don't understand your comment about the wet setup. We have no idea on what setup each driver had. Even if merc was the only one witha more wet setup they compromised their dry pace. So why didn't kubica and Button overtake him back?

#7276 iakhtar

iakhtar

• 184 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:27

MB was mentioning during the race that there's not really much difference between wet/dry setups anymore

#7277 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:38

I think all teams did same changes on the cars when race was stoped. But a lot of them can't change rear wing configuration because of F-duct. Recently front wing configurations are also not for quick changes, you just need new front wing. MGP team made some changes on the brakes and maybe something with car height or else(engine). But I don't think any team did big change in aero package. Modern wings just don't have anymore different positions that could be changed for more or less down-force.

Edited by ivand911, 25 October 2010 - 12:46.

#7278 slaveceru

slaveceru

• 180 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:46

vettel was doing rather well at the front, i thought hamilton did well but not astonishing but then neither of them had a dedicated wet set up.

I don't understand the bitterness comment, he would have finished 7th in the only team that went for a wet setting, he did well to keep it on the island but i don't see anything 'amazing' about his drive. The fact that it's a good result in comparison to the rest of his season says more about how bad his season has been.

Are you for sure that Mercedes was the only team that went for full wet setting? It would be strange if it was true because the rain did not stop till the end of race. After the race was interrupted there was enough time to set up the car for full wet condition even, if the cars at the beginning of the race were set up for intermediate condition. Also the stewards have stated that the race will continue on full wet. Thus I belive that all the teams set-up there cars to full wet settings. The difference between the speed of the cars that arise after the track begun to dry were probably due to differences in tire wear, position of the cars on the tracks, visibility and not to the differences in the settings for full wet per se.

#7279 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:55

We get it, that Michael is the only driver this year who pick up positions because other infront of him were having problems. And this is why everything he did don't count? All other drivers get their positions on merit. :rotfl: This is why his team were trying so hard to prevent him from doing this, like in Monaco,Valencia,Germany,Suzuka.

Edited by ivand911, 25 October 2010 - 13:00.

Advertisement

#7280 smitten

smitten

• 1,452 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 13:11

We get it, that Michael is the only driver this year who pick up positions because other infront of him were having problems. And this is why everything he did don't count? All other drivers get their positions on merit. :rotfl: This is why his team were trying so hard to prevent him from doing this, like in Monaco,Valencia,Germany,Suzuka.

He made up 5 places from his grid slot, three of those due to retirements. He did, however, overtake 2 cars on the track which is more than most of the front runners did. 4th is a very respectable finish, and his best result of the season. I think some people are prone to class it as superb as it was much better than his recent performances. Probably his best race of the season, but I'd class it as solid in the same way that I think the rest of the top 10 finishers had solid, but not outstanding, drives.

#7281 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 13:43

He made up 5 places from his grid slot, three of those due to retirements. He did, however, overtake 2 cars on the track which is more than most of the front runners did. 4th is a very respectable finish, and his best result of the season. I think some people are prone to class it as superb as it was much better than his recent performances. Probably his best race of the season, but I'd class it as solid in the same way that I think the rest of the top 10 finishers had solid, but not outstanding, drives.

He have three times 4th place this year. Race was just normal , I hope for more races like this. Without hits/crashes and technical problems.

#7282 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,156 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 14:56

But they would have to buy new keyboards .... :lol:

Posted Image

Funny one, cheapracer!

I will still have to catch up with the race on video, but congratulations to Michael, second race in a row with a strong showing. Luckily he did not throw his car entirely away....

And: Michael is in solid 9th position now for the championship!

#7283 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 16:56

Korea Race blog(all weekend) parts 1 and 2 from "Cracker" ,rear end mechanic on Michael car is in MGP thread. A lot of interesting information about the race.
"Finally… to the few fans that scratch their heads and ask ‘has Michael still got it?’

In my opinion, working with him, there is absolutely no chance that he is doing this for fun as some people may think. I've worked with many drivers and teams over the years. The feedback from Michael is quite unbelievable. His memory about details of every corner, entry and exit, even on a long run, is quite amazing. If I was a betting man, then I wouldn't hesitate on backing this man next year. I get asked quite a lot ‘what's he like to work with?’ Just to round it off, he is so normal and down to earth it's untrue! Genuinely!"

Edited by ivand911, 25 October 2010 - 16:58.

#7284 BiH

BiH

• 2,338 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 17:19

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

that sounds really good but it will be very difficult for mercedes to catch the top 3 they still haven't determined why they are so slow compared to red bull, ferrari and mercedes

and the new tyre for next year it should be quite a challenge for mercedes to get back to the front of field.

also brawn never ran KERS so....

#7285 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 17:26

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

that sounds really good but it will be very difficult for mercedes to catch the top 3 they still haven't determined why they are so slow compared to red bull, ferrari and mercedes

and the new tyre for next year it should be quite a challenge for mercedes to get back to the front of field.

But, Mercedes company have best KERS(in 2009) , so MGP team will not have problem with it. KERS that McLaren use belong to Mercedes(engine supplier). Next year McLaren will use Mercedes KERS with the engines.

Edited by ivand911, 25 October 2010 - 17:28.

#7286 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 22:11

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

there biggest problem was the wrong weight distribution on the chasis and your not allowed to change your chasis. next year all teams must use the same weight distribution

the centre of gravity is far to high aswell.

they didnt have enough resources to develop this years aswell as focus on winning the championship last year so this years car suffered.

if you didnt notice at the start of the season it pretty much looked like last years car , i think they were using the same aero package as the car that won the championship last year.

thats 3 thinks they will fix

#7287 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 14:58

Must have been his best race of the year by far because this thread I just found halfway down page 2 - whats wrong guys, nothing to criticize?

:lol:

thats 3 thinks they will fix

F1 cars are fickle things, a statement supported in it's history - it could also totally go against them and I fear that will end it for MS before the end of the year.

Edited by cheapracer, 26 October 2010 - 15:01.

#7288 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 18:16

It is like only Nico have bad luck this year????? And you still come here in Michael thread to tell us that he is better. I think there is thread for this(Nico Vs Michael) and I strongly advise Nico fans finally to start his thread. Not to come here to discuss Nico affairs.

MS manage not to get left behind too quickly by Massa ---- Massa may drive a very good car but he ain't no superstar he is a typical Ferrari down trodden number 2.

Not far behind him Robert K was just having a really bad week end and not very far behind Robert was Liuzzi

On the bright side Mercedes powered MS managed to stay ahead of Rubens with his third rate Cosworth power unit.

#7289 Mary Popsins

Mary Popsins

• 729 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 18:42

I'd like for the sake of the sport to see MS on a podium again. He would very likely be in good company.

Was reading in a journo blog: "the carnage helped Michael Schumacher on his way to his best showing of the year, which will no doubt be hailed by his fans as a sign that all is fine and dandy and his comeback was a really wizard idea". All I will say is that Schumacher is more professional than the person who wrote that.

Looking at the standings/results I have noticed that MS and NC have scored the same amount of points for the last six races.

#7290 salamin

salamin

• 1,692 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 18:57

overtake on kubica / button

#7291 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 19:18

MS manage not to get left behind too quickly by Massa ---- Massa may drive a very good car but he ain't no superstar he is a typical Ferrari down trodden number 2.

Not far behind him Robert K was just having a really bad week end and not very far behind Robert was Liuzzi

On the bright side Mercedes powered MS managed to stay ahead of Rubens with his third rate Cosworth power unit.

Button was behind too. Kubica race improve a lot on last laps when Rubens and Hulk have problem with tyres. Michael from other side was just trying to conserve his inters since the moment he put them on. And he did good job with that. He didn't push it at any moment. This is F1 now, conserving tyres. But, still with full wet tyres he show something.

Edited by ivand911, 26 October 2010 - 19:21.

#7292 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,295 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 19:36

A yes you actually want to say he didn't do a good job but make a nice story around it. It's ok to give your opinion just say it as it is.

#7293 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,147 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 23:05

From what I understand MS had an average race but stayed on the track unlike some and inherited a reasonable position.Really nothing outstanding though a good honest job by the most experienced [but not fastest] guy on the grid.

#7294 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 23:09

From what I understand MS had an average race but stayed on the track unlike some and inherited a reasonable position.Really nothing outstanding though a good honest job by the most experienced [but not fastest] guy on the grid.

[sarcasm]yea average race [/sarcasm] ,dont think he made a single mistake the whole time and lapped pretty competively with those around him, pitty he wasnt in a faster car like the ferrari. . . he was only 9 seconds behind massa as it was

Edited by arknor, 26 October 2010 - 23:10.

#7295 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 23:14

from what you understand? Does that mean you didn't actually watch the race?

#7296 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:05

from what you understand? Does that mean you didn't actually watch the race?

he only overtook the HRT's of kubica and button and kept up with one of the ferrari's. pretty average :rolleyes:

#7297 1amiga

1amiga

• 48 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:41

What you meant to say is he overtook last years world drivers champion, and till last week robert kubica rated by some on here till last week the best driver in F1. And kept up with the second fastest car on the grid.

:smoking:

#7298 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:36

At least you know how to spell "behind" though I bet you have a different definition of the word when it applies to Schumacher :lol:

Unless we have been watching different GP's in 2010, the Williams have had a pretty darn good run this year handily beating the Merc powered Force Indias on a regular basis and the "second rate" Renauts are actually the fastest cars this year so engine doesn't always maketh the car.

He was honking at the start Lee and like the MS of old he was not following, he was looking for new lines and where to set up passes and poking his nose at every chance. Once he confirmed his position he knew he couldn't do much more and took what he could.

#7299 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 13:03

He was honking at the start Lee and like the MS of old he was not following, he was looking for new lines and where to set up passes and poking his nose at every chance. Once he confirmed his position he knew he couldn't do much more and took what he could.

he got bashed a bit in this thread for going off the track behind the safety car when he was finding grip levels :wave:

martin brundle was smart enough to realise what was happening and pointed it out , he rehearsed the overtake on kubica behind the safety car :up:

Advertisement

#7300 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:21

he got bashed a bit in this thread for going off the track behind the safety car when he was finding grip levels :wave:

martin brundle was smart enough to realise what was happening and pointed it out , he rehearsed the overtake on kubica behind the safety car :up:

I wouldn't go calling MS smart for all of that, what I can't understand is why the other mega dollar drivers AREN'T doing it - if I was a manager and saw MS doing it and my driver wasn't I would be pissed.....

MS practices his starts, lays rubber for the start, practices hard at pit lane entry - again why aren't they all?

Also again this thread was on page 2, for sure this means his best performance of the year :lol: