- Michael, what do you expect from the remaining two races of the 2010 season?
- Our main goal - maximize the potential of the machine. And we as a team to grow together. Do not forget that we remain a young team and, moreover, is relatively small. So you need to use the infrastructure the most effective way, and we concentrate on this and develop from race to race.
If you talk about me, then I got more and more involved in various small parts. Yes, I have a great experience but I was away for three years and much has changed in that time. Over time, I find and compare all the more to get the whole picture.
- But if you take into account your record and experience, as well as what you came to the team champion, how surprising was that during the season form the team was falling, not growing?
- I think everybody, including me, expected the team will add. Especially if you remember where the team was a year ago, and bear in mind that acceded to the Mercedes and me. But I have not had for several years, "Mercedes" and "Brown" just cooperate, and thus has many components, over which we work. Do not forget that the fight for the title last season influenced the preparation for this championship, which we see.
- How do you assess the chances of the five contenders for the title?
- Better to be ahead than behind, ahead only when the two races. But, of course, has not been decided.
- What will be the deciding factor? Can I say that by year's end the human factor becomes more important?
- For me, the determining factor - the development of the machine. But the pilot also affects, of course.
- The fact that you switched to prepare for 2011, somehow lowered the pressure on you and the team?
- I think the pressure was pretty high at the beginning of the season. I do not think that since everything has changed a lot, because even during the winter tests there were reasons not to be too optimistic. If you recall my words, then quite quickly I stopped talking about the fight for the championship. Nico was configured somewhat more optimistic, but I had an opinion. You are holding a vehicle, and you know its capabilities. So I wanted to stop a project to develop the current car and focus on the future to have a slight advantage over rivals.
- You said before the Japanese Grand Prix that "Suzuka" in the "Mercedes" will be a problem, but in fact you get the very strong performance on a dry track for the whole year. Does this mean that you still do not know much about the potential of the machine?
- I think we have optimized settings. In the course of the season we had a lot of updates, but they have not always matched our expectations and gave the benefit. I think that now we wring from them the maximum. This was because the "Suzuka" in Korea.
- On you impressed teammate?
- "Impressed" - this is an incorrect statement, because I think that Niko has declared itself before joining Mercedes, and he continued to argue that a good stable driver. He proved it on the "Suzuka", when we fought. But with a partner you can not go on some sort of limit. With all the other pilot may be different on both sides.
- Do you think you can climb onto the podium this year?
- We need a little luck, to fight for the podium. We are behind Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren, while in the case do not take any special factors such as rain. Podium for the Mercedes would be a very good result, our maximum, to which we can hope for. But for me personally it wouldn't mean too much because I have other tasks.
- But you must be bored of champagne ...
- I'm here to succeed with the team, it is our goal. Just climb on the podium - it's not too important.