Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20770 replies to this topic

#7401 salamin

salamin

• 1,692 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:38

btw, with the reshuffling next year, what position is Haug going to have inside the team?
I hope he's getting brawns place as team principal, since he seems more supportive of MS than brawn.

Advertisement

#7402 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 13:24

Schumacher to have new race engineer in 2011

Mark Slade! He worked with famous Finns Heikki Kovalainen, Kimi Raikkonen and Mika Hakkinen! Holy sh%t! :smoking:

Today

MS radio: "rear tyres overheating and locking under braking".

MS engineer Shove: "cool them down then"

I can't imagine why MS would want a new engineer ......

#7403 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 13:27

btw, with the reshuffling next year, what position is Haug going to have inside the team?
I hope he's getting brawns place as team principal, since he seems more supportive of MS than brawn.

It's more likely they figured they need Brawn's brains at the office to keep the team going with the right funds, I believe the Benz Workers Union(?) isn't exactly happy about the team being in existence when theres other major cutbacks at the factory.

Edited by cheapracer, 05 November 2010 - 13:28.

#7404 kar

kar

• 10,320 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 13:38

Today

God are you serious?!

Schumacher should bin him right now then. That's unacceptable if it was said in anything other than humour.

#7405 rad787

rad787

• 679 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 13:52

I have always entertained the idea that Shovlin was a big part of why Schumacher was not able to extract the most out of the current car. The minute I heard he was gonna be his engineer, I said "errrr, wrong decision". And to think he had a negative history about Schumi...

#7406 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 13:55

God are you serious?!

Schumacher should bin him right now then. That's unacceptable if it was said in anything other than humour.

It's quite possible it was tongue in cheek but 100% was aired live in FP1.

Not knowing the true relationship between them who knows, maybe humour, maybe a bit of spite from knowing he is being replaced - lets hope for all things nice that it was humour though :)

With these tyre troubles it was nice to see MS only a 1/10 behind Rosberg for FP1 not that FP1 times always mean a great deal.

http://en.espnf1.com...story/4678.html

Interesting, Shovlin has been with BAR/Honda since 1998, not exactly what I would want on my resume and the 2009 Champs to Brawn with Button under his wing stand out for 2 things to me, obviously the DDD that put them ahead (not Chovlin's doing) and then their steady progress back to the field through the year with tyre troubles (quite possibly Shovlin's doing) so maybe, and it's just a maybe, MS knows he ain't the right guy for the job.

If in 2011 MS starts forges forward and Rosberg goes back then maybe theres a little "Shov'in" going on in the background - we will wait and see.

Just a possible scenerio folks to keep things interesting.

Edited by cheapracer, 05 November 2010 - 14:05.

#7407 kar

kar

• 10,320 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 13:55

Especially for a driver like Schumacher who is excessively verbose while driving. He needs someone who reacts intelligently to what he is saying.

#7408 Spa95

Spa95

• 861 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 14:08

Today

You took some great liberty in quoting the two there. The conversation went nothing like that. :rolleyes:

#7409 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,336 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 14:30

what did the convo go like?

#7410 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 14:37

You took some great liberty in quoting the two there. The conversation went nothing like that. :rolleyes:

I admit my reception over the net was pretty shaky but thats what I believe I heard and if I made a mistake thats cool but instead of rolling your eyes why don't tell us what was actually said in full then .......

#7411 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,336 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 14:51

Today

If this is true, i would be disgusted

#7412 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 14:55

It was Brawn who arm twisted Schumacher into coming back......

#7413 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 4,333 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 14:56

If this is true, i would be disgusted

It's not.

#7414 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,820 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 15:06

again, what was the actual conversation?

#7415 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 15:23

74 min: Schumacher is reporting some rear tyre locking following his attacking efforts through the twisty section of the circuit a few moments ago.

74 min: The German suggests that he should cool down the tyres before attempting another quick time. The plan is agreed and he backs off a little.

Can anyone from UK quote exact conversation? It should be after 1 hour 15 minutes mark:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...x_Practice_One/

#7416 Legendary

Legendary

• 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 15:39

again, what was the actual conversation?

Michael Says quite a lot, some of which is hard to make out, about the rear tyres overheating through 7 and 8 due to locking. Shovlin replies "Yeah copy that. Try and let them cool down abit"

(Around 1:18:20 on the iplayer)

Edited by Legendary, 05 November 2010 - 15:40.

#7417 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,755 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 18:15

Whenever there is something about Michael people go into full retard mode. Just read/listen to the reactions on the Jamie incident. "he brake tested him"...

#7418 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 3,279 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 18:39

Whenever there is something about Michael people go into full retard mode. Just read/listen to the reactions on the Jamie incident. "he brake tested him"...

I thought he felt contact and moved well to the inside of the exit to get out the way...

It wasn't quite Schumacher v Kimi Brazil 2006 as far as moves go!

#7419 Johnrambo

Johnrambo

• 940 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:17

So Schumacher took out the front wing of Alguersuari. I don't think it was deliberate. The old man has just lost his spatial awareness. The stewards & FIA should monitor MS's on track actions carefully and take the right steps conserning his superlicence if this becomes more frequent. Maybe F1 needs to impose age limit for F1 drivers?

Advertisement

#7420 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,755 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:31

So Schumacher took out the front wing of Alguersuari. I don't think it was deliberate. The old man has just lost his spatial awareness. The stewards & FIA should monitor MS's on track actions carefully and take the right steps conserning his superlicence if this becomes more frequent. Maybe F1 needs to impose age limit for F1 drivers?

Or the more real explanation that Jamie had a spin, Michael passed and then Jamie decided to fight for position after the FP ended. Wtf? Jamie made the same stupid mistake he made with Koba last race. Just keep accelerating.

Edited by Diablobb81, 06 November 2010 - 09:31.

#7421 as65p

as65p

• 18,478 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:04

Today

From the replies I take it that Shovlin said something really terrible there, but for the heck of me I can't figure it out. :drunk: Apparently it's an insult to suggest to a driver to let his rear tyres cool down, or what?

#7422 baddog

baddog

• 24,034 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:07

I nominate this for the Autosport Schumacher Bashers Club 'Disastrous post of the season' award for both its lack of useful content and for its poor spelling and sentence structure.

I mean really.. Are you even serious with this?

#7423 smitten

smitten

• 1,564 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:15

From the replies I take it that Shovlin said something really terrible there, but for the heck of me I can't figure it out. :drunk: Apparently it's an insult to suggest to a driver to let his rear tyres cool down, or what?

Agreed. They don't have tyres to spare so they can't change them, and if they were on a longer run to try some settings then what option did MS have? Cool tyres or abandon the run.

#7424 SpeedyS

SpeedyS

• 236 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:23

Lost his spacial awareness...! Have you seen his starts in all 17 GP's so far this season?? He has proven much greater spacial awareness than anyone!

Edited by SpeedyS, 06 November 2010 - 10:45.

#7425 as65p

as65p

• 18,478 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:33

Whatever Algu... did wrong, the slowdown at corner exit from MS was nasty. A revanche foul most likely, pretty common, but of course totally not politically correct these days :p

#7426 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 7,427 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:45

I think the insinuation is that if they are doing a race simulation, surely in the race Michael might not be able to just 'cool them down' because he might be racing someone. It would be more pro-active to take it on board and then work on eliminating the cause or at least lessening it for the next run...

#7427 Johnrambo

Johnrambo

• 940 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:54

I nominate this for the Autosport Schumacher Bashers Club 'Disastrous post of the season' award for both its lack of useful content and for its poor spelling and sentence structure.

I take it that you agree with the content since you concentrate on trivial matters (spelling/sentences poor where?) and attacking the poster. :rolleyes: Just face it the old guy is past it and next year will be even worse.

#7428 baddog

baddog

• 24,034 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:00

I take it that you agree with the content since you concentrate on trivial matters (spelling/sentences poor where?) and attacking the poster. :rolleyes: Just face it the old guy is past it and next year will be even worse.

No I mentioned content first, as the horrible attempt at an insulting post was much more worthy of notice than its poor presentation.

Most people shoot for either good or pretty. You went for neither.

If you want a proper response, I will give you one.

Michael's ability to drive in close situations has never been better, and it is better than more than half the field. He has constantly shown superb handling of messy starts and the busy runs through the first corners, and has dodged trouble and stayed in the race where younger guys have blown it. Your point was ridiculous and really just a cheap insult, based on you having nothing but his age to dig at recently.

Edited by baddog, 06 November 2010 - 11:01.

#7429 as65p

as65p

• 18,478 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:16

I think the insinuation is that if they are doing a race simulation, surely in the race Michael might not be able to just 'cool them down' because he might be racing someone. It would be more pro-active to take it on board and then work on eliminating the cause or at least lessening it for the next run...

Still the immediate reaction seems entirely reasonable to me, for the present run: cool the tyres down. What else should Shovlin say? "Oh sh*t, we're doomed, let's pack it in and fly to a Rio beach" ?

#7430 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 7,427 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:21

Still the immediate reaction seems entirely reasonable to me, for the present run: cool the tyres down. What else should Shovlin say? "Oh sh*t, we're doomed, let's pack it in and fly to a Rio beach" ?

No, but he could say 'try this diff setting' or 'bring the brakes back a bit' and then see what happens... for that session yes it doesn't entirely matter what is said, and I for one don't particularly care(!), but you would still think that a driver's personal engineer would be a bit more creative with solutions...

#7431 smitten

smitten

• 1,564 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:22

No, but he could say 'try this diff setting' or 'bring the brakes back a bit' and then see what happens... for that session yes it doesn't entirely matter what is said, and I for one don't particularly care(!), but you would still think that a driver's personal engineer would be a bit more creative with solutions...

That is assuming he had the answer immediately to hand. If it needed a bit of consideration, that kind of communication may have come in a later radio message. Pit to driver radio is interesting, but you can read too much into it sometimes.

#7432 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 7,427 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 13:11

That is assuming he had the answer immediately to hand. If it needed a bit of consideration, that kind of communication may have come in a later radio message. Pit to driver radio is interesting, but you can read too much into it sometimes.

You're right the problem with the radio transmissions, as revealing as they are and a good addition to the coverage, they are only selective and can never give a whole picture of what the dialogue between pits and car is.

#7433 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 13:16

Johnrambo, Man and other Schumacher bashers are clearly on the wind up when it comes to these sorts of comments.

They don't take themselves seriously (God help us if they do!) so we shouldn't either. They are looking for a reaction and some people fall into their hands.

#7434 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 16:44

Rainmaster is back :love: lets hope he can do a really good Q3 time aswell

#7435 vovelo

vovelo

• 87 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 16:48

Poor old Michael :rotfl: :rotfl:

#7436 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 17:03

Bad strategy in Q3. They need to run and not to wait in the pit. More laps was key for success in Q3.

Edited by ivand911, 06 November 2010 - 17:03.

#7437 Nuvol

Nuvol

• 654 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 17:05

they've ****ed possible top3. tomorrow should be fun anyway as it seems he has the pace

#7438 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 17:06

Bad strategy in Q3. They need to run and not to wait in the pit. More laps was key for success in Q3.

yea apart from his first quick lap in q3 he was nowhere near the pace :S

alot of the time his sectors looked like he was on a cooling down lap maybe bad traffic?

#7439 Cheap Wine Alesi

Cheap Wine Alesi

• 2,723 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 17:06

The other guys were fast from lap 1 on drys, MS was not fast even on his second lap.
MS failed in Q3.

of course, Nico failed in Q2, eventhough he was going quicker than MS. :down:

Advertisement

#7440 Spa95

Spa95

• 861 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 17:08

Only 3 tenths faster on slicks than his time with intermediate tyres...

Good effort though :up:

#7441 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,755 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 17:08

I think he had no temp in the tires. Thay probably should have done more laps.

#7442 Spa95

Spa95

• 861 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 17:09

The other guys were fast from lap 1 on drys, MS was not fast even on his second lap.
MS failed in Q3.

aww...are you mad now? :)

:clap: :rotfl:

Edited by Spa95, 06 November 2010 - 17:09.

#7443 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 3,279 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 17:10

I didn't see anything from Schumacher once he put the slicks on, did he make errors or did he just not get on top of it with his final lap(s)? Still he's in a good position for a dry race, I'm not sure those Williams will keep that position come the chequered flag, so hopefully Schumacher can be in battle with those guys for 6th.

#7444 MCh000

MCh000

• 181 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 17:10

alot of the time his sectors looked like he was on a cooling down lap maybe bad traffic?

I thing it is more a potential of Mercedes on dry track. And maybe, though I doubt it, he run more dry setup than others.

#7445 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 3,279 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 17:11

I think he had no temp in the tires. Thay probably should have done more laps.

Good point, no-one was "fast" on their first dry tyre run, missed opportunity and I think it showed by Schumacher's face once he got out of the car.

#7446 GoRacing

GoRacing

• 291 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 17:11

Combination of poor strategy and a bad lap from MS. They needed to run a lot on slick tyres, every lap was quicker, but again MGP screwed up, making MS wait in the pits for what looked like an eternity.

#7447 vovelo

vovelo

• 87 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 17:12

wow, even Rosberg was slower that MS in Q2 anyway he was better(quicker) than MS.
"nice" logic :drunk:

#7448 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,755 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 17:12

Combination of poor strategy and a bad lap from MS.

Both his last laps were on similar time so it doesn't look like it was his fault. That's why i'm saying it's probably more due to no temp.

Edited by Diablobb81, 06 November 2010 - 17:13.

#7449 Spa95

Spa95

• 861 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 17:15

Both his last laps were on similar time so it doesn't look like it was his fault. That's why i'm saying it's probably more due to no temp.

MS was fastest in the final sector (along with LH and faster than NH). Looks like the temperature just kicked in then - unfortunately too late.

#7450 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,755 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 17:17

MS was fastest in the final sector (along with LH and faster than NH). Looks like the temperature just kicked in then - unfortunately too late.

Good info. I gave up when i saw sector 1 time on his last lap. half a second faster than his last but still half a second slower than the best.