• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#8001 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 398 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 14:53

Michael = Overrated F1 driver?

Wait what?

Look at his record and how long he has lasted in F1, there is no way he is overrated. I have noticed one thing though, one reason why people hate Michael Schumacher because they don't like his style, the 'take no prisoners' mentality, not just here but a lot of places. I love that mentality, you are there to win not to make numbers and you will use very advantage you can take.

Anyway ROC I always saw as just an exhibition thing. I mean you can't tell who's better or not, it is just for fun and that's why I think. How you can manage to measure driving standards and who is better than whom just doesn't make sense.

Advertisement

#8002 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 15:34

Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche:
"We have been in F1 for some time and we're staying there for the longer term. We don't want to be deciding each year whether we are in or out. And we didn't sign a one-year contract with Michael Schumacher, we signed for three years," he pointed out.
http://www.gpupdate....-expected-more/
Three years sounds gooood to me. :clap: Two more years with Michael. Are Michael fans lucky or what? :smoking:

Edited by ivand911, 01 December 2010 - 15:44.

#8003 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,986 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 19:39

Hi everyone! I have no special driving skills and I'm completely average, just came on here to say hello, oh that reminds me, I have to go and arrange an undisputed No1 contract with a high level F1 team, earn millions and win a record amount of championships, anyone can do it apparently. See you all later!

WOW!

Can I be your number two? I promise I won't whinge about it later on.

#8004 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,986 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 19:54

You definitely have a point there, 7timesbetter :D
2010 supports your views - Schumacher comes back in a highly competitive field and look how average he is. Even a Rosberg who hasn´t won a race yet drives circles around Mighty Michael.

I wouldn´t go as far as calling him the most overrated F1 driver in history, though. You are being a bit extreme there....

Aditya, IIRC you rated Schumacher as the second best driver of all time, right?

#8005 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:17

Anyway ROC I always saw as just an exhibition thing. I mean you can't tell who's better or not,

I think you underestimate the level of competitiveness of these guys in everything they do, it's "only" an "exhibition thing" when they lose.

It's that competitiveness that got them to where they are now.

Upon saying that I agree it shouldn't be used as a gage of their abilities for or against.

#8006 Spa95

Spa95

• 861 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:23

Must read: http://translate.goo...=...l=&ie=UTF-8

:)

#8007 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,661 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:49

Must read: http://translate.goo...=...l=&ie=UTF-8

:)

ty. That's interesting, explains some things, maybe the reshuffle of the race engineers too.

#8008 Spa95

Spa95

• 861 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:53

ty. That's interesting, explains some things, maybe the reshuffle of the race engineers too.

Yes, although the Google translation muddles up some sentences and words. For example, when he talks about the F-Duct problem in "Spain" he talks about Spa.

Edited by Spa95, 02 December 2010 - 10:53.

#8009 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,661 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:11

Yes, although the Google translation muddles up some sentences and words. For example, when he talks about the F-Duct problem in "Spain" he talks about Spa.

This is a very doubtful theory of mine, so take it with a pinch of salt please, but: I had the feeling last year that Clear was playing mind games when he was RB's race engineer, there were doubt's circulating about the data sharing during the season. This year many times in FP MS was slightly faster than NR, then in qualy's Nico all at once found a few tenths, sometimes even more. It sure seemed like NR had found last minute adjustments to his setup which maybe MS was not privy to by then. Clear, I think, at least professionally is one of the best race engineers out there, with extreme setup know-how, don't forget he schooled himself trying to extract performance from the dogs Honda has put on the grid the past years. Clear does not like MS, that is not a secret. I am really curious now about Clear's new position in the team. Please don't bash, I am not trying to make excuses for MS here. Any thoughts?

Edited by Szoelloe, 02 December 2010 - 11:19.

#8010 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:30

This is a very doubtful theory of mine, so take it with a pinch of salt please, but: I had the feeling last year that Clear was playing mind games when he was RB's race engineer, there were doubt's circulating about the data sharing during the season. This year many times in FP MS was slightly faster than NR, then in qualy's Nico all at once found a few tenths, sometimes even more. It sure seemed like NR had found last minute adjustments to his setup which maybe MS was not privy to by then. Clear, I think, at least professionally is one of the best race engineers out there, with extreme setup know-how, don't forget he schooled himself trying to extract performance from the dogs Honda has put on the grid the past years. Clear does not like MS, that is not a secret. I am really curious now about Clear's new position in the team. Please don't bash, I am not trying to make excuses for MS here. Any thoughts?

From what I understand Clear is out of the racing team, he is staying in Brackley. Shovlin is now Main race team engineer(he oversee both driver teams).

Edited by ivand911, 02 December 2010 - 11:31.

#8011 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,661 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:36

I knew about Shovlin's new positin but haven't heard about Clear's. So he will be stationed in Brackley as what?

#8012 ry1808

ry1808

• 57 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:38

I have worked with Jock and he is not one of the best race engineers out there, and that opinion is shared by a number of people. That is all I can say really.

#8013 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,661 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:56

I have worked with Jock and he is not one of the best race engineers out there, and that opinion is shared by a number of people. That is all I can say really.

I readily accept, since I have never worked with Jock, and my opinion is not a professional one by any means. Thanks for the info. :)

#8014 ry1808

ry1808

• 57 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 13:03

I'll add a bit more, why not. Jock is a good guy and knows F1 inside out but has a habit of putting his foot in it at times and suffers from brain fade and says the must stupid thing or shows a real lack of understanding of the basics. At one race he was heard to come on the team radio and ask what lap it was! But you know he gets the job done most of the time.

When BAR was founded he was JV's race engineer, the main man if you like and then over time when JB came in he got left with the Sato and then Rubens who didn't get on with him as well as he would have liked I don't think. So over the last few years he has been pushed to the side and it is all about Shov now.

#8015 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,661 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 13:06

I'll add a bit more, why not. Jock is a good guy and knows F1 inside out but has a habit of putting his foot in it at times and suffers from brain fade and says the must stupid thing or shows a real lack of understanding of the basics. At one race he was heard to come on the team radio and ask what lap it was! But you know he gets the job done most of the time.

When BAR was founded he was JV's race engineer, the main man if you like and then over time when JB came in he got left with the Sato and then Rubens who didn't get on with him as well as he would have liked I don't think. So over the last few years he has been pushed to the side and it is all about Shov now.

thx again mate. Since we are talking about it, if I may ask, is Shovlin ok in that respect?

#8016 ry1808

ry1808

• 57 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 13:27

Shov is good, but again he makes mistakes, like ever driver, ever engineer makes a mistake. But I got the impression that with Shov they where not quite so much of a 'school-boy' error like with Jocky.

Although saying that I remember one year when they had the one-lap qualifying (2005?) JB was on his quick lap an Shov picked the wrong car on the track map, there was only two to choose from, and went on the radio whilst JB was flat through Becketts. The reply he got wasn't the best, lets jut say it was a good thing they didn't have driver-pit radio on TV then!

#8017 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 13:44

What is your opinion about new team racing engineers for 2011? Thanks for the info.

#8018 Yorkie

Yorkie

• 2,192 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 14:29

Indeed it is not and I fully agree but how come this is referenced as nothing to do with the skills of F1 yet his average Sportscar career is often referenced?

Could it shockingly be that he is a winner at ROC but, as mentioned, just average in a Sortscar?

Nah, whats got into me, sorry for the insinuation ....... :lol:

He did indeed;

Hmm let me count that - Wow, I get 7 times WDC, amazing!!

Well i dont know much about Sportscars nor do i care, i just know Schumi was mega when he first came into F1.

2004 is quite a time ago now, you could argue he lost his numero uno status when in 2006 Alonso beat him in a close fight in cars that were quite equal over the season, and Schumi turns 42 soon and he admits himself that he's probably not as good as he once was. Then apart from Alonso also add in the likes of Lewis, Vettel, Kubica and Rosberg, i would say Schumi is a more of a bit player now

#8019 Yorkie

Yorkie

• 2,192 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 14:47

Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche:
"We have been in F1 for some time and we're staying there for the longer term. We don't want to be deciding each year whether we are in or out. And we didn't sign a one-year contract with Michael Schumacher, we signed for three years," he pointed out.
http://www.gpupdate....-expected-more/
Three years sounds gooood to me. :clap: Two more years with Michael. Are Michael fans lucky or what? :smoking:

After 3 years then there should be no excuse

Reading the article it says the set up of the car favours the faster driver which tends to be Rosberg

Advertisement

#8020 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 14:51

I think what most people forget is that Schumacher was already going into a downward spriral at his last 2 seasons at Ferrari. He was just not top notch anymore at the end.

He saved face by leaving on time, without to much at least. And I think that spiral won't go as high as he had at his last 2 Ferrari seasons.

Or ... Brawn has to come up with something and then apparently only install it on Schumacher's 2011 car, and not on Rosberg's as well.... :lol:

#8021 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 14:53

After 3 years then there should be no excuse

Reading the article it says the set up of the car favours the faster driver which tends to be Rosberg

I would be happy if Michael will be in F1 after 2 years. But, I doubt that.
About set up favoring faster driver,where you see this? In the article I mean?

Edited by ivand911, 02 December 2010 - 14:53.

#8022 Yorkie

Yorkie

• 2,192 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 15:00

I would be happy if Michael will be in F1 after 2 years. But, I doubt that.
About set up favoring faster driver,where you see this? In the article I mean?

Yes he seems to be saying the car would go in a direction that would suit Rosberg because Rosberg was quicker, then this would then make him struggle even more against Rosberg

#8023 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 15:24

I think what most people forget is that Schumacher was already going into a downward spriral at his last 2 seasons at Ferrari. He was just not top notch anymore at the end.

I don't honestly know but I think we can be assured that after 15 years in it and 10 at the very top that it would be unreasonable to consider he was going to get faster over getting slower.

The wording "downward spiral" doesn't really fit in with his 2nd place 2006 year but it was only time before another team and some young gun came through - totally consistent with F1 History, how long can any team and just one man stay at the top after all, Team Ferrari and Schumacher did it longer than anybody else.

After Schumacher announced he was tired in 2006 I sometimes wonder if Hamilton would have inspired Schumacher to drive in 2007 had he known Hamilton's speed.

#8024 Massa

Massa

• 4,282 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 16:55

Schumacher revealed that there were often more problems with his W01 car this year than was apparent to the public.

"In retrospect, there were things; my floor was burned because of the exhaust being too hot, or the F-duct working in places where it should not.

"There were many (issues), resulting from the fact that we are in a restructuring phase but we still wanted to go for the title," he said.

With the recently-departed Honda’s huge investment still showing, the team – then Brawn GP – won the 2009 title whilst reducing staff and looking for investors for the future.

"There were a lot of changes," said Schumacher, who joined the team after the Mercedes buy-in. "(In 2009), Honda was gone and there wasn’t the money to hold the team together."

With the championship-winning car’s successor, he recalls Singapore, where Nico Rosberg performed well and he struggled in the pack.

"A week later I got the team’s analysis: my teammate and I were five degrees apart on the front wing. In formula one, that’s a world," said the former Ferrari driver, intimating that Rosberg suffered from fewer such car discrepancies.

He continued: "At Spa my F-duct didn’t work, but I didn’t say anything. At Suzuka it happened again - again a problem with my car but not with Nico’s.

"I said to Norbert (Haug) and Ross (Brawn) that it was time for an explanation of the reasons.

"I prefer to speak inside the team, and I am convinced that in 2011 the problems will exist no more," said Schumacher, who said he also struggled with the consistency of Bridgestone’s tyres this year.

He acknowledges that his age and his retirement also played a role in his 2010 struggle.

"I was away for three years, and I’m no longer 25. The car was a compromise. With the tyre, it was difficult for me to drive how I wanted to," said Schumacher.

#8025 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 17:02

He speaks very open about technical informations and differences to Nico at the AMuS interview. Very very interesting.
One can really feel how depressed he was with some of those issues.

Edited by Urawa, 02 December 2010 - 17:08.

#8026 Fortymark

Fortymark

• 5,789 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 18:26

Given the info ry1808 gave on Jock Clear, Rosberg vill probably be even stronger next year.

Anyway, it´s funny reading about Schumacher complaining about his F-duct not
working and wanting an explanation for this as Rosbergs worked.
He didn´t mention that Rosbergs car fell apart in that Suzuka race though... :lol:

Schumacher should just shut the fakk up really, he´s had better reliability than his teammate
in all other seasons.

#8027 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,628 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 18:42

How can a drivers f-duct work in places it should not,when it is driver operated?

#8028 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 18:48

Given the info ry1808 gave on Jock Clear, Rosberg vill probably be even stronger next year.

Anyway, it´s funny reading about Schumacher complaining about his F-duct not
working and wanting an explanation for this as Rosbergs worked.
He didn´t mention that Rosbergs car fell apart in that Suzuka race though... :lol:

Schumacher should just shut the fakk up really, he´s had better reliability than his teammate
in all other seasons.

To tell you a secret ,he is not talking about reliability. Only you are feeling it that way. He is talking about thinks that didn't work as they supposed to. Falling tyres(one for Michael and two for Nico) have nothing to do with reliability. But, as you said we will see next year.

#8029 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 18:49

How can a drivers f-duct work in places it should not,when it is driver operated?

Maybe operating mechanism is not working? Not closing?

#8030 DarthRonzo

DarthRonzo

• 804 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 20:24

"I prefer to speak inside the team,..."
Really, You've already put the blame on anyone and anything nearby you to justify YOUR faillure.

"The car was a compromise. With the tyre, it was difficult for me to drive how I wanted to," said Schumacher.
Really, YOU are the center of the Universe, Bridgestone should make tires specially for you, no matter you decided to came back in the last moment.

Stop moaning, Schumacher. :p

Edited by DarthRonzo, 02 December 2010 - 20:26.

#8031 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 20:49

"I prefer to speak inside the team,..."
Really, You've already put the blame on anyone and anything nearby you to justify YOUR faillure.

"The car was a compromise. With the tyre, it was difficult for me to drive how I wanted to," said Schumacher.
Really, YOU are the center of the Universe, Bridgestone should make tires specially for you, no matter you decided to came back in the last moment.

Stop moaning, Schumacher. :p

Remind you of anyone? "The team, they made me lose the race" "It happened once again on my side" "A bit too much on my side".

Yet he is a legend, and Schumacher moans whilst being a failure? Right.

#8032 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 20:51

To the 'critics': (what an outdated,old-fashioned term) Er,hasn't he mentioned his age as being a factor as well?

Nice work picking those lines that suit your agendas best.

Edited by BRK, 02 December 2010 - 20:52.

#8033 EdwardCullen

EdwardCullen

• 763 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 21:26

guys plz stop feeding the trolls

#8034 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:11

"In retrospect, there were things; my floor was burned because of the exhaust being too hot, or the F-duct working in places where it should not. There were many [issues], resulting from the fact that we are in a restructuring phase but we still wanted to go for the title.

"At Spa my F-duct didn't work, but I didn't say anything. At Suzuka it happened again - a problem with my car but not with Nico's. I said to Norbert [Haug] and Ross [Brawn] that it was time for an explanation of the reasons."

http://en.espnf1.com...tory/35698.html

Alot of people enjoyed Schumacher'performances at Spa and Suzuka, and I'm glad he actually revealed his issues, because usually he would of kept technical problems within the team, but given how bad the season he has had compared to the expectations on him, I don't blame him for speaking out, it actually is encouraging to know he could of that done that bit better in qualifying and the race for Spa and Suzuka, even if many thought he did good at those races already, there could of been more.

"With the championship winning car's successor, he recalls Singapore, where Nico Rosberg performed well and he struggled in the pack.

http://www.f1sa.com/...c...&Itemid=157

"A week later I got the team's analysis: my team-mate and I were five degrees apart on the front wing. In Formula One, that's a world," said the former Ferrari driver, intimating that Rosberg suffered from fewer such car discrepancies"

All season we wanted Michael to talk about ihis issues and what's happening, can we find out somethings. Looks like he got the wrath of issues that nobody would envision him having given the status and percieved power we thought could make a difference in the team given his name and all, in the end, he was in a team with limited resources and he got more effected then Rosberg which seems totally weird, but given how proud he is, it must of been tough to keep behind doors especially with so many wondering about his return. Mercedes seem better prepared for 2011 and Michael can't get these issues again, I'm sure steps have been taken.

To think how well he was doing at Suzuka even with the f duct issues, without them , would he have been up there with Hamilton. Encouraging stuff for 2011, there's much potential left to look forward too and he wants to prove alot, 2011 could be the cracker season of them all. :smoking: :up:

Edited by SeanValen, 03 December 2010 - 01:18.

#8035 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,997 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:21

"With the championship winning car's successor, he recalls Singapore, where Nico Rosberg performed well and he struggled in the pack.

http://www.f1sa.com/...c...&Itemid=157

"A week later I got the team's analysis: my team-mate and I were five degrees apart on the front wing. In Formula One, that's a world," said the former Ferrari driver, intimating that Rosberg suffered from fewer such car discrepancies"

With all respect, I´d have thought that an old gun like Schumacher would have spotted the five degree difference in the front wing. How did Rosberg get it right and Schumacher get it wrong? Even if Schumacher´s engineers got it wrong, does Michael not have enough experience (isn´t it the same guy who started in F1 in 1991?) to find that out and ask the engineers to change it?

#8036 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:22

Did Benz have the auto system running in those particular races?

#8037 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,628 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:13

Did Benz have the auto system running in those particular races?

auto system?,is that not against the rules?.i thought only a driver could operate the f-duct,

#8038 baddog

baddog

• 23,378 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:56

With all respect, I´d have thought that an old gun like Schumacher would have spotted the five degree difference in the front wing. How did Rosberg get it right and Schumacher get it wrong? Even if Schumacher´s engineers got it wrong, does Michael not have enough experience (isn´t it the same guy who started in F1 in 1991?) to find that out and ask the engineers to change it?

I think it is a fair question.. and I would be dissapointed in him if he didnt say 'front downforce is down, where are we on the front wing' for example.. but it SOUNDS as if they knew something was wrong but needed analysis to say what it was.. so either his mechanics just stuffed up and told him he had different wing than he did (not a lot a driver can do if he is asking and being told nonsense)..or something was defective, or whatever.

Imagine where he would have ended up if qual at spa and suzuka had been numerous places higher though. Suzuka especially..

#8039 WhiteBlue

WhiteBlue

• 2,135 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:05

Do we really think that Michael can ever catch Nico again? Not really! The younger top guys from from Alonso down to Kubica and Rosberg are probably faster by now. Michael will enjoy the challenge of competing with them as an elder statesman and driving pundit. It's much more fun and more rewarding than breaking your bones or neck on motor bikes each year or making wise cracks on RTL 20 times a year.

He will help his team by bringing sponsors in with his past glory. He is still good enough to run the second seat at Mercedes. So basically all parties can be happy to have him. Corinna most certainly is happier to have him in F1 cars than on motor bikes. The Schumi fans like me need no convincing that Michael's F1 career is the best thing to happen to Germany since beer was invented. Nothing that can ever happen to him will destroy the pleasure he gave us over the years. I don't mind one bit that he could not win an eights championship after 2004. He served his country well for 15 years and broke all records.

Card blanche from me to Schumi to have fun as an F1 pensioneer!

Advertisement

#8040 baddog

baddog

• 23,378 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:10

Do we really think that Michael can ever catch Nico again? Not really! The younger top guys from from Alonso down to Kubica and Rosberg are probably faster by now. Michael will enjoy the challenge of competing with them as an elder statesman and driving pundit. It's much more fun and more rewarding than breaking your bones or neck on motor bikes each year or making wise cracks on RTL 20 times a year.

He will help his team by bringing sponsors in with his past glory. He is still good enough to run the second seat at Mercedes. So basically all parties can be happy to have him. Corinna most certainly is happier to have him in F1 cars than on motor bikes. The Schumi fans like me need no convincing that Michael's F1 career is the best thing to happen to Germany since beer was invented. Nothing that can ever happen to him will destroy the pleasure he gave us over the years. I don't mind one bit that he could not win an eights championship after 2004. He served his country well for 15 years and broke all records.

Card blanche from me to Schumi to have fun as an F1 pensioneer!

Brave to stick your neck out so, but hey, you are entitled to your predictions. Ill predict that next year we will all wonder what happened this year..

#8041 Snuggie

Snuggie

• 71 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:37

Well he hasn't driven Rosberg's car in Singapore.
Although I think that it is indeed strange for MS to give these kind of interviews, but still Rosberg did a pretty good job with the car. And if those claims by Michael are true, then he wasn't far behind.
As far as the team is concerned, I've seen so many tactical mistakes this year, that I can't be convinced that everything went well.

#8042 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,506 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:38

Stop trolling please. :rolleyes: Or did you suddenly forget to speak German? :lol:

"Eine Woche später bekomme ich vom Team die Analyse: Mein Teamkollege konnte mehr Frontflügel geben, sodass wir am Ende fünf Grad auseinander lagen. Das ist in der Formel 1 eine Welt."

"My teammate could apply more wing, and in the end there was a 5 degree difference between us.In Formula One, that's a world"

The English translations of the interview posted from the other sits are pretty inaccurate.

Edited by Diablobb81, 03 December 2010 - 08:42.

#8043 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,289 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:51

Yep that is the correct translation above me. And that makes it a whole different story.

#8044 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:56

As Michael said before cars were not the same. Norbert confirm. What more can be said here? All year situation in the team was fishy. Congratulation to Nico for having the better car. It is nice I guess to have 5 degree more in the FW and your Fduct to work where it should. Then you can have less under steer? I guess. OK, 2010 finish, lets enjoy 2011. I am happy Michael said what type of problems he have in his car, we wonder about it all year. Still in Singapore Michael was 4th fastest in his last stint of 20-25 laps. With his beaten car,after 2-3 crashes.

Edited by ivand911, 03 December 2010 - 09:14.

#8045 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,473 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:34

Maybe operating mechanism is not working? Not closing?

Mercedes was using a passive system. The 'active' F-Duct is banned for 2011, but the version Mercedes ran will still be available for the teams.

No, I don't understand how it works, but I would assume that it will be tuned to start having an effect above certain speeds.

#8046 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:52

Mercedes was using a passive system. The 'active' F-Duct is banned for 2011, but the version Mercedes ran will still be available for the teams.

No, I don't understand how it works, but I would assume that it will be tuned to start having an effect above certain speeds.

Next year as they will have changeable angle on the Rear wing, they will not need Fduct. I guess. I think we still don't know what type was Mercedes Fduct? Some people will argue for passive or active. But, if it was passive I guess there can be a problem with fine tuning. It is not easy to make it work like the active system.

Edited by ivand911, 03 December 2010 - 09:54.

#8047 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,661 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:59

Next year as they will have changeable angle on the Rear wing, they will not need Fduct. I guess. I think we still don't know what type was Mercedes Fduct? Some people will argue for passive or active. But, if it was passive I guess there can be a problem with fine tuning. It is not easy to make it work like the active system.

Ivan, if he said it was working where it should not(fast corners) then it is obvious it was passive, at least it should be obvious, not? It is also obvious they used active systems later on.

#8048 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:05

Buttoneer, I presume at speeds with NO G loads other wise it would be iffy in a fast corner ...

They do need it next year as the wing angle thing is only for certain occasions for fake passing which is B/S - they need to fix the foundation and stop putting band aids on an open wound, the puss is still seeping through.

#8049 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,473 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:38

I think we still don't know what type was Mercedes Fduct? Some people will argue for passive or active.

This isn't guessing. Mercedes used a passive system early in the season.

#8050 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,997 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:41

Aditya, IIRC you rated Schumacher as the second best driver of all time, right?

So then maybe my best driver is the most overrated driver in history then.... ;)