Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#8101 baddog

baddog

• 23,331 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 18:26

Whoa!! Looks like brake failure at full speed, it's no way he missed the braking point so badly!!!

Yeah, noone could possibly fail to brake so completely on purpose. Nasty crash Im pretty glad the camera was fixed.

Advertisement

#8102 black magic

black magic

• 3,852 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 22:38

not exactly the first guy to also maybe lose a little pace after bad smash either. wonder if the accident has not been given enough relevance though michael himself seemd to dismiss it after intial problems with his neck.

but guys like piquet never quite got back their speed.

looks very painful fall

#8103 baddog

baddog

• 23,331 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 23:03

Heh no lack of pace especially at the end of this year though so clearly not a long term effect

#8104 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:14

not exactly the first guy to also maybe lose a little pace after bad smash either. wonder if the accident has not been given enough relevance though michael himself seemd to dismiss it after intial problems with his neck.

but guys like piquet never quite got back their speed.

looks very painful fall

didnt seem to bother him when he crashed at silverstone

#8105 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,332 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:27

might shut up some of those doubters who said his neck injury wasn't real and just an excuse for not coming back at Ferrari....

#8106 exmayol

exmayol

• 552 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:36

might shut up some of those doubters who said his neck injury wasn't real and just an excuse for not coming back at Ferrari....

Nah, those will claim that footage is not real or that they fall like this daily without issues.

#8107 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 6,122 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:42

"The fact he was seven-time world champion ruins what being a world champion is all about"

"He is flawed. He was all over the place. We never saw him at his best when he had a really good driver alongside him. We never saw him in a Ferrari with a driver of similar talent really, so I think that the number of titles is misleading."

"I don't think he regrets coming back, but it was ill-advised. The most important contribution he had was dragging Ferrari back to the top. But the fact he is carrying on next year is interesting, although quite frankly, I wouldn't be worried if I was up against him."

Sir Stirling Moss

#8108 JackTorrance

JackTorrance

• 2,065 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:49

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.....

Is that the same Stirling Moss who claimed in 2007 Lewis Hamilton is the best EVER driver in F1?

And then burned his prodigy down to the ground after his object of affection lied twice to stewards?

I wont be suprised if he kisses Michaels hind parts next week, or at some Mercedes promo.

Edited by JackTorrance, 07 December 2010 - 05:54.

#8109 7timesbetterthantherest

7timesbetterthantherest

• 192 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:52

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanwn part 2

Stirling Moss = Grumpy old man with zero F1 titles

Michael Schumacher = Successful 7 time F1 champion

:wave:

Edited by 7timesbetterthantherest, 07 December 2010 - 05:52.

#8110 7timesbetterthantherest

7timesbetterthantherest

• 192 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:02

''We never saw him in a Ferrari with a driver of similar talent really''

haha - silly Sterling Moss , don't you know TRIX are for kids ?

that's becuase NO OTHER DRIVER had similiar talent like Schumacher's ...

what an old phart he is .......

#8111 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,332 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:30

Funnuy the original article also had some quotes from damon hill but I see they weren't posted here wonder why. The WHOLE article is on sporting life

#8112 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:18

"The fact he was seven-time world champion ruins what being a world champion is all about"

"He is flawed. He was all over the place. We never saw him at his best when he had a really good driver alongside him. We never saw him in a Ferrari with a driver of similar talent really, so I think that the number of titles is misleading."

"I don't think he regrets coming back, but it was ill-advised. The most important contribution he had was dragging Ferrari back to the top. But the fact he is carrying on next year is interesting, although quite frankly, I wouldn't be worried if I was up against him."

Sir Stirling Moss

The ultimate number 2 at it again hey?

I generally dislike/hate with a passion ex racing car drivers that turn to commentry - often they start out as a real breathe of fresh air with real substance to whats going on out there and who's doing what in a detail that sometimes we can't see for ourselves.

But then after time some of them turn into something else, real ego stuff when they realize that people are listening to them and consider them an authority, then the 'badge police' comes out in them and they just go to dribble overstating everything they can because they by now are earning money or fame again for that dribble and need the attention.

It took longer than most but I notice Jackie Stewart has dissapointingly reached the same level in recent years, he used to be great to listen too.

My exceptions are Alan Jones and Barry Sheene who always kept it pretty realistic over many years, there are certain to be others depending on where you grew up but for the bulk of them -> :rolleyes:

#8113 Speed_Racer

Speed_Racer

• 242 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:26

Sterling never even won a single WDC. What does that senile old man know?
He'll do himself good if he does not fall into random elevator shafts instead of talking garbage.

#8114 baddog

baddog

• 23,331 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:38

All of this (insults and putdowns) is very excessive people. Moss is an ex driver who is as entitled to his opinion as anyone.. however he is now very old, and is wildly out of touch with modern F1. His opinion should be taken as just what it is, the opinion of a once-great racing driver who has been out of it for decades and is just shooting the breeze from the sidelines.

#8115 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,960 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:37

I stopped taking Moss seriously the day he walked into - and then fell down - an EMPTY elevator shaft all on his own. He wasn't even pushed. He just walked into and then fell down the hole.

Imagine this, but walking into it instead (minus the ramming)

Edited by Ferrari_F1_fan_2001, 07 December 2010 - 11:39.

#8116 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,289 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:39

All of this (insults and putdowns) is very excessive people. Moss is an ex driver who is as entitled to his opinion as anyone.. however he is now very old, and is wildly out of touch with modern F1. His opinion should be taken as just what it is, the opinion of a once-great racing driver who has been out of it for decades and is just shooting the breeze from the sidelines.

Yep, making fun about his incident with the elevator shaft isn't really classy guys. I agree with baddog here, just take notice of it and let it go again.

#8117 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:44

Am I the only one who takes Moss seriously? :confused:

#8118 bsoares

bsoares

• 73 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:45

:lol:

#8119 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 6,122 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:09

Just a refresh, obviously a much needed refresh judging by the ignorant comments of some. Remember that Moss is an expert the real deal and we are just fans watching on TV.
Moss' opinion carries more weight then the armchair brigade carries combined. I can see how a man of Moss' achievements and station sees Schumacher as he does, clearly and without prejudice.

"Moss, who raced from 1948 to 1962, won 212 of the 529 races he entered, including 16 Formula One Grands Prix. He would compete in as many as 62 races in a single year and drove 84 different makes of car over the course of his racing career, including Lotus, Vanwall, Maserati, Jaguar, Ferrari and Porsche. Like many drivers of the era, he competed in several formulae—very often on the same day."

http://en.wikipedia....i/Stirling_Moss

Advertisement

#8120 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,645 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:10

absolutely mate, absolutely. :)

#8121 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,332 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 14:30

Wouldnt listen to Moss on this, hes anti Schumi since day 1

#8122 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,203 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 14:58

Sir Stirling Moss

Moss is stupid likealways. He is nothing more just a senile (and jealous) moron.

And he has a "sir" title? Doesn't there any quality limit for this? :rolleyes:

Edited by Tarzaan, 07 December 2010 - 15:01.

#8123 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 15:01

Lets hear what Damon Hill have to say:
"The BRDC president is convinced Schumacher will rediscover his form next season.

"I don't think he disgraced himself at all this year," said Hill.

"He showed it's hard to come back and maintain pace when you're older. He will have had things to think about I'm sure, but he will never give up. That's what defines him.

"He's a formidable competitor, and I'm sure he is going to prove everyone wrong next year."

I start to respect him with every word. Now who we will believe? Moss or Hill?
http://www.sportingl.../AUTO_Moss.html

#8124 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 15:43

Wouldnt listen to Moss on this, hes anti Schumi since day 1

Noticeably so since Adelaide 1994 actually, one of the loudest about the incident back then - figures as I guess he would be partial to Damon and probably close family history (?) through Graham Hill.

I have been listening to Moss for as long as I can remember and it's got nothing to do with recent times or Schumacher, the guy is an egomaniac with a "I'm Stirling Moss and thats the final word" - in fact I was watching a French docco on Gilles a few days ago with Moss and Fangio sitting together and Moss was doing the same attitude then (about 1980).

Just a refresh, obviously a much needed refresh judging by the ignorant comments of some. Remember that Moss is an expert the real deal and we are just fans watching on TV.

Since when does driving talent maketh an intelligent person? It doesn't and it's you who is out of place using a driver's results as a basis for that person's intelligence, opinions, biases etc..... and speak for yourself, I compete.

I lol'ed :lol: :lol:

#8125 pedrovski

pedrovski

• 576 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 15:48

"The BRDC president is convinced Schumacher will rediscover his form next season.

"He showed it's hard to come back and maintain pace when you're older. He will have had things to think about I'm sure, but he will never give up. That's what defines him.

"He's a formidable competitor, and I'm sure he is going to prove everyone wrong next year."

Hill kissing MS's ass is nothing new. Watch that embarrassing video on youtube with johnny herbert. He has to talk MS up as he was his big rival for a number of years.

#8126 destiny

destiny

• 104 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 16:55

Moss is stupid likealways. He is nothing more just a senile (and jealous) moron.

And he has a "sir" title? Doesn't there any quality limit for this? :rolleyes:

Shumi bashing for praising is the only way for the old guys to be in the news.

#8127 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,960 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 17:29

"quite frankly, I wouldn't be worried if I was up against him."

Sir Stirling Moss

No, you just concentrate on not falling down empty elevator shafts, old boy.

#8128 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,960 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 17:31

Hill kissing MS's ass is nothing new. Watch that embarrassing video on youtube with johnny herbert. He has to talk MS up as he was his big rival for a number of years.

That Johnny Herbert bit was funny.

"What he (Schumacher) does, is nothing special" - referring to Schumacher's driving style.

5 seconds later;

Jonathon Palmer [narrator] "On this lap alone, Schumacher was 1.5 seconds faster than his team mate, Johhny Herbert"
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#8129 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 17:37

Moss' opinion carries more weight then the armchair brigade carries combined. I can see how a man of Moss' achievements and station sees Schumacher as he does, clearly and without prejudice.

"Moss, who raced from 1948 to 1962, won 212 of the 529 races he entered, including 16 Formula One Grands Prix. He would compete in as many as 62 races in a single year and drove 84 different makes of car over the course of his racing career, including Lotus, Vanwall, Maserati, Jaguar, Ferrari and Porsche. Like many drivers of the era, he competed in several formulae—very often on the same day."

http://en.wikipedia....i/Stirling_Moss

and? if we stuck him in a modern f1 car he would not have a clue the same as everyone else on this forum , i'd take the opinion of badoer more seriously

#8130 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 17:51

MS could win every race, qualifying and practise session in a season and Moss would still answer "Yes, but..."

#8131 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 6,122 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 17:57

“Stirling Moss = Grumpy old man with zero F1 titles”

“haha - silly Sterling Moss , don't you know TRIX are for kids ?”

“I generally dislike/hate with a passion ex racing car drivers that turn to commentary”

“What does that senile old man know?”

“Moss is stupid likealways. He is nothing more just a senile (and jealous) moron.”

“No, you just concentrate on not falling down empty elevator shafts, old boy.”

What a classy lot of fans Schumacher has defending him it all flows down from the top, or perhaps rolls down hill. Nice counter arguments, way to refute and discredit what Moss said about Schumacher you have totally convinced me, Schumacher was not crushed by Rosberg and he is really a good sport not the dirty driving cheater we saw on the track this season and every other season. All class that Schumacher

Michael Schumacher blames Mercedes for poor 2010 form

Schumacher blames’ the car and the tires and the team and, he even insinuates that Rosberg got preferential treatment, how does that shoe feel on the other foot eh Schu?
He wanted Ross to go public with a laundry list of excuses in some sort of attempt at mitigation of his poor performances. Must be really chewing him up inside now that everyone has seen the real Schumacher for what he is, a slow dangerous whiner.

#8132 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 18:02

[i]

Schumacher blames’ the car and the tires and the team and, he even insinuates that Rosberg got preferential treatment, how does that shoe feel on the other foot eh Schu?
He wanted Ross to go public with a laundry list of excuses in some sort of attempt at mitigation of his poor performances. Must be really chewing him up inside now that everyone has seen the real Schumacher for what he is, a slow dangerous whiner.

For the one´s who read the original interview will know that the headline is utter nonsense

Edited by Urawa, 07 December 2010 - 18:03.

#8133 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,476 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 18:08

For the one´s who read the original interview will know that the headline is utter nonsense

+1 Just more BS from the press. Moss is in good company.

#8134 baddog

baddog

• 23,331 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 19:16

No, what you mean is that Moss' comments agree with your opinion. If he didnt you would dismiss them.

He last raced in 1962. 48 years ago! He has a right to an opinion, but I dont see how you could call him an expert in modern racing at all.

#8135 SEP

SEP

• 148 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 19:28

“Stirling Moss = Grumpy old man with zero F1 titles”

“haha - silly Sterling Moss , don't you know TRIX are for kids ?”

“I generally dislike/hate with a passion ex racing car drivers that turn to commentary”

“What does that senile old man know?”

“Moss is stupid likealways. He is nothing more just a senile (and jealous) moron.”

“No, you just concentrate on not falling down empty elevator shafts, old boy.”

What a classy lot of fans Schumacher has defending him it all flows down from the top, or perhaps rolls down hill. Nice counter arguments, way to refute and discredit what Moss said about Schumacher you have totally convinced me, Schumacher was not crushed by Rosberg and he is really a good sport not the dirty driving cheater we saw on the track this season and every other season. All class that Schumacher

So you didn´t get it yet, SlateGrey?

Some forumers here are retards, former F1 drivers are haters (some are just senile), Jackie Stewart must channel his frustation..., you don´t know S about F1, Frans is stupid, and the list goes on and on.

Anyone who does not rate Michael the same way his blind fans does get a "classy label" here.

#8136 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,721 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 19:46

):

Some forumers here are retards, former F1 drivers are haters (some are just senile), Jackie Stewart must channel his frustation..., you don´t know S about F1, Frans is stupid, and the list goes on and on.

wow, I agree with a complete phrase of yours.
you finally managed to post some truth

Anyone who does not rate Michael the same way his blind fans does get a "classy label" here.

anyone who speaks b$hit like the one mentioned in the above quote is nothing more than senile or has an agenda...while I doubt people post too much with having an agenda....I am pretty sure about the senile part

you can ignore it for a while but if it becomes annoying as a fly it may smell like $hit is around.

yes a forum is about debating ideas not persons, but to debate ideas sometimes requires posters with an ability bigger than just speaking the language and hiting some keys in frustration. they spend an awful amount of time on this and it deserves a better cause.

and yes again, a forum is about ideas but if someone keeps calling night as being day he is either blind or stupid, to use an f1 quote

#8137 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 20:08

You guys, with the exception of baddog have a lack of objectivity and manners that's stunning. I don't even particularly care for Stirling's views but he's entitled to them and if he's asked for his opinion by a journo (hack more likely!) he should speak his mind. I don't think that there's been a point of view of his that has had any resonance for me personally but, hey, when Michael is the subject, all rationality seems to go out the window, whichever "side" you're on! This is more about defending Michael's reputation which you should wise up and admit is questionable in the area of ethics. OK I do agree, sort of, with him on this issue of driver ethics.

#8138 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,332 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 20:24

Moss is entitlted to his opinion - even if they are wrong. He has not experience in modern F1 cars so not sure why Slate Gray thinks he would be an expert. Also do wonder why Damon Hill's quotes weren't posted by Slate Gray, maybe because they don't support his rants?

#8139 SEP

SEP

• 148 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 20:31

):
wow, I agree with a complete phrase of yours.
you finally managed to post some truth

anyone who speaks b$hit like the one mentioned in the above quote is nothing more than senile or has an agenda...while I doubt people post too much with having an agenda....I am pretty sure about the senile part

you can ignore it for a while but if it becomes annoying as a fly it may smell like $hit is around.

yes a forum is about debating ideas not persons, but to debate ideas sometimes requires posters with an ability bigger than just speaking the language and hiting some keys in frustration. they spend an awful amount of time on this and it deserves a better cause.

and yes again, a forum is about ideas but if someone keeps calling night as being day he is either blind or stupid, to use an f1 quote

Have you ever thought you are the one who calls night as beeing day and even though some don´t call you stupid, retard or a troll?

Advertisement

#8140 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 6,122 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 20:36

He last raced in 1962. 48 years ago! He has a right to an opinion, but I dont see how you could call him an expert in modern racing at all.

Moss has spent most of his life immersed in auto racing with vast and wide ranging experiences in the sport, so he is most definitely an expert in the world of motor racing. However the same cannot be said for the posters attempting to defend Schumacher in this thread, judging from the high level of vitriol and empty childish insults directed at Moss vs. the low level of rational response, I will ascribe more weight to the opinions of the expert in the world of motor racing over the casual TV viewer / forum poster.

#8141 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 20:42

I would go with Hill version of 2010. He is still modern race driver, and he can put himself in Michael shoes. He know what it means, to do this what Michael did. Moss can't put himself in Michael shoes. He have right for opinion and we have right not to accept it. I don't see anyone calling Frans stupid, maybe only SEP call him that way? Frans is good guy and he is enjoying the season. On,his own way.

Edited by ivand911, 07 December 2010 - 20:46.

#8142 baddog

baddog

• 23,331 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 21:02

Moss has spent most of his life immersed in auto racing with vast and wide ranging experiences in the sport, so he is most definitely an expert in the world of motor racing. However the same cannot be said for the posters attempting to defend Schumacher in this thread, judging from the high level of vitriol and empty childish insults directed at Moss vs. the low level of rational response, I will ascribe more weight to the opinions of the expert in the world of motor racing over the casual TV viewer / forum poster.

And you would balance that with the much larger range of 'expert' opinion, including those who spent years on track with him or who ran teams hiring or against him who think he was and possibly still is as good as any driver has ever been I assume? Kind of a dick sometimes but a superb talent and probably the best all round driver package ever.

Surely you would not argue that this is not the majority view in the F1 world??

#8143 Yorkie

Yorkie

• 2,192 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 21:12

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.....

Is that the same Stirling Moss who claimed in 2007 Lewis Hamilton is the best EVER driver in F1?

And then burned his prodigy down to the ground after his object of affection lied twice to stewards?

I wont be suprised if he kisses Michaels hind parts next week, or at some Mercedes promo.

Whats lieing to stewards have anything to do with driving ability?

#8144 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 21:20

some of us work for F1 teams :wave:

people have a life outside the forum m8...

#8145 Yorkie

Yorkie

• 2,192 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 21:20

Of course you do, but he had of been anti-Schumi he would have been canondised as well :lol:

#8146 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 6,122 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 21:27

And you would balance that with the much larger range of 'expert' opinion, including those who spent years on track with him or who ran teams hiring or against him who think he was and possibly still is as good as any driver has ever been I assume? Kind of a dick sometimes but a superb talent and probably the best all round driver package ever.

Surely you would not argue that this is not the majority view in the F1 world??

No I would not argue that Moss is "probably the best all round driver package ever" nor would any rational person argue same re Schumacher. Schumacher has been a single formula specialist with a list of advantages, pre 2010, so long and deep that it would flatter any competent driver. Schumacher will need to excel in many different types of auto racing before any thinking person would label him "probably the best all round driver package ever" Seeing how Schumacher is not even close to the top in his chosen racing specialty anymore I dare say he will be much less advanced in any other motor sport arena so no I would not agree with your statement as applied to Moss or Schumacher.

#8147 baddog

baddog

• 23,331 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 21:45

No I would not argue that Moss is "probably the best all round driver package ever" nor would any rational person argue same re Schumacher. Schumacher has been a single formula specialist with a list of advantages, pre 2010, so long and deep that it would flatter any competent driver. Schumacher will need to excel in many different types of auto racing before any thinking person would label him "probably the best all round driver package ever" Seeing how Schumacher is not even close to the top in his chosen racing specialty anymore I dare say he will be much less advanced in any other motor sport arena so no I would not agree with your statement as applied to Moss or Schumacher.

I was not referring to moss at all with regrd to that, you read it wrong. And by all round driver package I meant F1 driver package, and I too regret the mono-series focus of modern driver but its irrelevant here.

The rest of your post is drivel of course.

#8148 Asconte

Asconte

• 57 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 21:48

After career part one, does he has to be (still) rated?

#8149 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 6,122 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 22:05

The rest of your post is drivel of course.

Translation: I am unable to refute SlateGray's assertions.

So baddog I will accept your lack of a measured and balanced counter argument as deferral to the opinion of the motor sport expert Moss and the TV viewer / fourmer SlateGray.

:)

#8150 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,960 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 22:20

You got it daddio. :up:

PS: please elaborate on this comment of yours for us please...

POk,. what if he beats Nico next year? Michael will be older, so what will be the excuse for 2010 ´s performance?

Please, forget this "he is old" bs. Rubens is 39 and spanked Michael driving an inferior car!