20789 replies to this topic

#8651 Fondmetal

Fondmetal

• 143 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 21:50

Spanish GP 1992

Schumacher closing in on mansell

http://www.youtube.c...o...der&list=UL

Edited by Fondmetal, 26 February 2011 - 21:53.

Advertisement

#8652 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,223 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 00:15

Posts deleted. No more trolling, thanks.

#8653 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 17:13

Spanish GP 1992

Good stuff. :up:

I think it's a miracle race videos like that one have survived on Youtube this long!

#8654 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 17:44

Young lion. :p Driving on rails.

#8655 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 730 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 19:45

Is there a video of his first win online somewhere?

#8656 randomisation

randomisation

• 22 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:43

I was going to post this sooner but had to wait for my account to be validated. Last week Damon Hill gave a (very enjoyable) speech at the Oxford Union, at the end of which he fielded a series of questions. Unfortunately I wasn't selected to ask my question as we ran out of time, so after the speech a friend and I went to the union bar for a quick drink before leaving. About ten minutes later Damon came into the bar with his wife and a couple of the union people for a quick drink, and just as he was leaving I went over to him and asked him "Damon, if you don't mind me interrupting you to ask a quick question - If hypothetically you were a team principal, and you were able to hire one of either Ayrton or Michael at their peaks, which would it be, and why?". He replied "hmm, very good question...", and after about ten seconds of silence replied "my heart says Ayrton...but my head says Michael". I thought this was a pretty great testament to Michael given how highly Hill thought of Senna (as he alluded to in his speech beforehand), and thought I'd share it here with other MSC fans to enjoy :) .

#8657 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:53

I was going to post this sooner but had to wait for my account to be validated. Last week Damon Hill gave a (very enjoyable) speech at the Oxford Union, at the end of which he fielded a series of questions. Unfortunately I wasn't selected to ask my question as we ran out of time, so after the speech a friend and I went to the union bar for a quick drink before leaving. About ten minutes later Damon came into the bar with his wife and a couple of the union people for a quick drink, and just as he was leaving I went over to him and asked him "Damon, if you don't mind me interrupting you to ask a quick question - If hypothetically you were a team principal, and you were able to hire one of either Ayrton or Michael at their peaks, which would it be, and why?". He replied "hmm, very good question...", and after about ten seconds of silence replied "my heart says Ayrton...but my head says Michael". I thought this was a pretty great testament to Michael given how highly Hill thought of Senna (as he alluded to in his speech beforehand), and thought I'd share it here with other MSC fans to enjoy :) .

:up:
Hmm. interesting indeed. It would be nice to have both, but they'd probably not get round the first lap.

#8658 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:54

Welcome and Thank you for sharing; great intro of yourselve to this BB and the thread.

#8659 Fortymark

Fortymark

• 5,752 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 19:43

Spanish GP 1992

Don´t get carried away, start watching from about 5 min, http://www.youtube.c...feature=related
Mansell was just toying with Schumacher, once he put the hammer down he went from ~4 seconds to a 9 seconds gap
in less than 2 laps and then it was a 15 seconds gap after another 2 or 3 laps..

Advertisement

#8660 Fondmetal

Fondmetal

• 143 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 19:51

Don´t get carried away, start watching from about 5 min, http://www.youtube.c...feature=related
Mansell was just toying with Schumacher, once he put the hammer down he went from ~4 seconds to a 9 seconds gap
in less than 2 laps and then it was a 15 seconds gap after another 2 or 3 laps..

If you watched the Nigel Mansell world champion xmas special, he praised schumancher. He was not playing with him, Mansell was pushing hard, but then he started to play with different lines and thats when he went faster. Schumacer was already catching him fast because he was finding huge time offline.

#8661 TheMortalBard

TheMortalBard

• 98 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:17

Alonso seems to be saying a lot of nice things about MSC these days ! :)

http://supersport.co...ect_its_Michael

#8662 FigJam

FigJam

• 2,034 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:28

They dont. Its a bash fest filled thread, yet again.

Ive seen schumacher from his early days, and it was evident the man was a great talent, making Brundle look very mediocre in that stick shifted Benetton.

He comes back after 3 years with all the testing restriction and was usually on pace with Rosberg, sometimes a few tenths slower. For an old man he looked better vs his teammate than Massa vs Alonso for instance. Compare it with come back of other champs; Mansell didnt even fit in the car and admitted defeat after only 5 races in 1995, Villeneuve was nowhere in the Renault, Mika was an embarrassment in testing times.

It's interesting how, given all the evidence since with various drivers, we see this still said about Villeneuve in 04.

We've seen drivers change teams and struggle for half a season, we've seen MS make a return and struggle for a full season. We've seen Raikkonen struggle to put Massa away over 3 seasons worth, we saw Barrichello struggle when he moved to Honda initially...

Villeneuve jumped into that Renault cold, with pretty much no testing, more than 3/4 through the season...and with Alonso in full flight as his benchmark. He managed to approach FA's laptimes by the 3rd race in Brazil, yet without much consistency.

Looking back...he was slaughtered to death by the press and fans alike. Which helped shape a perception of him that he couldn't shake thereafter, despite constantly getting the better of Massa and Heidfeld (yet without ever really being his old self...)

With what we've seen thereafter....across many drivers and teams.....was it ridiculous much? :well:

Edited by FigJam, 01 March 2011 - 04:30.

#8663 7timesbetterthantherest

7timesbetterthantherest

• 192 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 14:41

http://www.crash.net..._contender.html

Bernie says Michael can be a title contender IF Merc has a good car

Edited by 7timesbetterthantherest, 01 March 2011 - 14:42.

#8664 metz

metz

• 9,692 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 15:25

Villeneuve jumped into that Renault cold, with pretty much no testing, more than 3/4 through the season...and with Alonso in full flight as his benchmark. He managed to approach FA's laptimes by the 3rd race in Brazil, yet without much consistency.

Looking back...he was slaughtered to death by the press and fans alike. Which helped shape a perception of him that he couldn't shake thereafter, despite constantly getting the better of Massa and Heidfeld (yet without ever really being his old self...)

Without trying to be OT but for the sake of accuracy;
Finished ahead: NH 7, JV 3
Best Finish: NH 4, JV 6
Hardly "constantly getting the better of"
However, Heidfeld did say that JV was as good as RK and the rest of '06 proved that.

But Heidfeld also had trouble with his Sauber comeback last year.
Yes, I know, old engines and all.
Lets see how his Renault comeback will work out.

Like every driver, Schumacher needs a good car to shine.
If this year is not that year for MGP, I doubt if next year will be.
If so, Michael will not stick around for year 3.

#8665 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 730 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 15:41

Don't take this as a personal attack, but...

First, people were saying that Michael wasn't even going to make it to the starting grid. Next he wouldn't last the season. Then he wouldn't be back for season two.

Now you don't think he will be back for season three.

Michael strikes me as a man who honors his commitments. He's also an enormous media presence. He also happens to be a German driving for a German team. All very good reasons for him to see out the current contract. After that, who knows? Maybe a further year or two if he is still getting something out of driving.

#8666 metz

metz

• 9,692 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 15:56

T40
I hear you and agree that he will not give up. Ever.
But IF this years car is a dog and next year as well, is he still having fun?
Would anyone blame him for leaving?
Would it help the sport if he stayed?
My understanding is that the agreement is "up to 3 years" meaning he can leave anytime before then.

#8667 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 16:00

I can only see him quitting if he's consistently 0.5+ behind Rosberg, or the car is an uber donkey, reaching July without ever making Q2.

#8668 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 17:25

Don't take this as a personal attack, but...

First, people were saying that Michael wasn't even going to make it to the starting grid. Next he wouldn't last the season. Then he wouldn't be back for season two.

Now you don't think he will be back for season three.

Michael strikes me as a man who honors his commitments. He's also an enormous media presence. He also happens to be a German driving for a German team. All very good reasons for him to see out the current contract. After that, who knows? Maybe a further year or two if he is still getting something out of driving.

I am with you on this point. Michael would be cheesed off, but failure in engineering he could take quite personally, because all his intelect he invested in his second year return. Failure on the track - hard to say. Predictions are, that it is going to be lottery because of tires related concerns.

Edited by Sakae, 01 March 2011 - 17:26.

#8669 7timesbetterthantherest

7timesbetterthantherest

• 192 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 18:50

Schumacher will win in 2011 .... I'm sure he will be hunting for the title this year ... fingers crossed ..

He's going to prove he's STILL the best racer on the face of the planet .... just a little bit older

Go Schumi ! :up:

Edited by 7timesbetterthantherest, 01 March 2011 - 19:12.

#8670 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,294 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 19:16

I'm still waiting for Michael to retire and blame his neck

In fact I'm still waiting for Michael to blame his neck full stop

I mean, that's what we were told by a lot of the trolls before he even had his first race in his comeback :rotfl: :rotfl:

#8671 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 19:28

Michael interview for Gala magazine: There were moments when I was helpless
http://translate.goo...ilflos-war.html
http://www.gala.de/s...ilflos-war.html

Edited by ivand911, 01 March 2011 - 19:34.

#8672 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:44

I'm still waiting for Michael to retire and blame his neck

In fact I'm still waiting for Michael to blame his neck full stop

I mean, that's what we were told by a lot of the trolls before he even had his first race in his comeback :rotfl: :rotfl:

I know you are joking, and any statement of that kind would create tsunami, but raw fact is, that some remnants of some injuries never go away. He might, on occassions, feel it without going public; who knows? While we are at, this is why I also think that Kubica's future is not as certain as some think in here. He had one or two nasty incidents already, and human body can take only so much before it will tell you - no more!

Edited by Sakae, 02 March 2011 - 11:48.

#8673 F1 Tor.

F1 Tor.

• 2,832 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:09

Schumacher will win in 2011 .... I'm sure he will be hunting for the title this year ... fingers crossed ..

He's going to prove he's STILL the best racer on the face of the planet .... just a little bit older

Go Schumi ! :up:

I like your enthusiasm, but why don't we start with some consistent podium finishes then take it from there? :) It's a long season and I personally think the title is a bit of a stretch, but, then again, you never know. That first race will tell us a lot.

#8674 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 13:07

I like your enthusiasm, but why don't we start with some consistent podium finishes then take it from there?

I think they already can be very very happy if he manages more top 10 finishes than 2010. :rotfl:

#8675 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:56

I think they already can be very very happy if he manages more top 10 finishes than 2010. :rotfl:

It all depend where in top 10 he will finish, at the top or at the bottom.

#8676 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 13:07

10th place would be MORE than enough.... if he's lucky to get there.

#8677 FlashMaster

FlashMaster

• 1,901 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 14:15

10th place would be MORE than enough.... if he's lucky to get there.

Yep franz, but 10th place is still better than the gravel pit for Vercrasheren isn't it? Oh wait, he had to leave F1 because of that :blush:

#8678 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 17:06

I've heard the stories about how his Dad got him started in karting on not much more than a hope and a prayer.

Having both parents working at the local Kart circuit was a huge bonus. Anthony Hamilton wouldn't have said no to that as his 4th job ;)

#8679 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 17:08

Alonso seems to be saying a lot of nice things about MSC these days ! :)

http://supersport.co...ect_its_Michael

Looks like Alonso has written him off. You'll find that fierce rivals say almost nothing of the sort about each other whilst the rivalry is on going.

Advertisement

#8680 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 17:28

Looks like Alonso has written him off. You'll find that fierce rivals say almost nothing of the sort about each other whilst the rivalry is on going.

I do not know whether your theory is correct or not, but surely he gave him more respect than Hamilton. Button, and Petrov, just to name a few. Some of the comments I heard from those throats made me loose respect, or whatever was left, for everyone of them.

Edited by Sakae, 03 March 2011 - 17:30.

#8681 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 17:42

Having both parents working at the local Kart circuit was a huge bonus. Anthony Hamilton wouldn't have said no to that as his 4th job ;)

he needed 4 jobs? werent mclaren already paying for everything when hamilton was around 6 years old?

schumacher didnt have it easy either...

When Schumacher was four, his father modified his pedal kart by adding a small motorcycle engine. When Schumacher crashed it into a lamp post in Kerpen, his parents took him to the karting track at Kerpen-Horrem, where he became the youngest member of the karting club. His father soon built him a kart from discarded parts and at the age of six Schumacher won his first club championship. To support his son's racing, Rolf Schumacher took on a second job renting and repairing karts, while his wife worked at the track's canteen. Nevertheless, when Schumacher needed a new engine costing 800 DM, his parents were unable to afford it; Michael was able to continue racing with support from local businessmen.[

#8682 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 23:06

I can only see him quitting if he's consistently 0.5+ behind Rosberg, or the car is an uber donkey, reaching July without ever making Q2.

Like last year but worse? I doubt that bad but to start equalling the Q times of his quick teammate would be much needed. Some of the acclaim given to his comeback drives by his fans are a little wide of the mark. He was well beaten by Rosberg so he needs to lift his performance by 0.5 - which in pure driver terms, is a lot. Maybe the work ethic will be enough but somehow I think either the current era doesn't suit him or he has lost the edge he had. I actually think his best years from 1995 to about 2002 were blunted by having such a dominant car for several years so that when Alonso came on with a pretty decent Renault he had lost that last 0.1 or so. Time will tell.

#8683 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,298 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 23:27

I see on the front of the Autosport mag it says Schu is not happy. I have not read the magazine yet am just going off the front cover on autosport.com Does anyone know why he is not happy?

#8684 JackTorrance

JackTorrance

• 2,065 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:27

I see on the front of the Autosport mag it says Schu is not happy. I have not read the magazine yet am just going off the front cover on autosport.com Does anyone know why he is not happy?

Becaus Autosport had to write about something. Brawn stated last night on bbc radio it is a load of bull.

#8685 Polle

Polle

• 292 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:34

Its Autosport, duh! :yawnface:

Like any gossipy publication on movie stars, you got to write something that will undoubtedly cause attention or divide thoughts to sell more magazines.

#8686 steveninthematrix

steveninthematrix

• 329 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:37

its really very simple,

Michael is the only-driver who wants a over-steery car, with loads of HP...

Michael retired when F1 cars had 940hp+, and sticky wide big front tires, allowing to setup for over-steery and using the throttle to balance it out.

the one Ferrari car he drove which didn't do this as readily was in 2003, and the season and the closeness of Barrichello in that season speaks for itself. now, with what I'm hoping are more sticky better gripper pirelli tires, I expect MS to move near the front. more HP would have been helpful, F1 is becoming like playstation.

by 2014 and 650 HP, 200 less than nascar and 150 less than indycar, F1 will, after 25 years, becoming just too sterile for me...

#8687 FigJam

FigJam

• 2,034 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:22

Without trying to be OT but for the sake of accuracy;
Finished ahead: NH 7, JV 3
Best Finish: NH 4, JV 6
Hardly "constantly getting the better of"
However, Heidfeld did say that JV was as good as RK and the rest of '06 proved that.

I notice you omitted the qualifying results.

Bottom line - there was very, very little between Heidfeld and Villeneuve. Same with Villeneuve and Massa the year before, yet Villeneuve was the one that got torched by the press and paddock alike.

Go figure. He'd obviously already used up all his goodwill, I guess MS still has plenty to fall back on now.

#8688 metz

metz

• 9,692 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 14:05

No points for qualifying.
Since JV beat NH in qualy 7/5, meaning JV started ahead more often, makes the results even more significant.

But you are correct. JV was one of the best, right to the end.
Had he only not taken that BAR adventure.
His career would have been completely different.
It might have mirrored Schumacher's.
We all know that the talent you have has little to do with the ride you get.
Renault knew he still had it. Sauber also knew he still had it.
I don't know why the media portrayed him as a has-been.

Edited by metz, 04 March 2011 - 14:22.

#8689 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 14:05

Write your own Schumis Sekret Blog.... by Ad1210 from planet-f1 forum:
http://forum.planet-...g...mp;start=0

"I was bored today so I decided to try my hand at a Sekret blog entry. Its no patch on whoever writes the Pf1 one but it kept me occupied for 1\2 and hour-"

"Hello my Festive Silver Arrowlets,
As I am writing this, I am well full of Christmas cheer, although not thanks to the company I am keeping over the festive break. Since I am busy answering questions about my greatness and sending gift baskets to Stirling Von Moss (As a little joke, I am including a pair of glasses so he might see where the lift is not), Pudgie Wudgie Donut Leiblings is writing the guest list for our Christmas day cracker. This is getting me slightly troubled with the family as she is inviting Ralfie, whom I am doing much fence mending with this past year, but not Mrs Ralf (Formally known to my tifosis as ‘the crow’ but in the interest of brotherly loving, I am refraining from calling). Much naturally and obviously, this is raising a rabble in Schloss Schumi on Christmas morn just as I am opening my first Bitburger for the day and talking to the big fella about my winning in 2011. As mellowing I am in my winter years, I am playing peacemaker so that we can all enjoy the day but I am about as successful at this as Eddie Irvine is at abstinence or Woobens is as going through a race weekend without moaning.

...continued"

Edited by Buttoneer, 05 March 2011 - 15:35.
copyright

#8690 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 15:03

by 2014 and 650 HP, 200 less than nascar and 150 less than indycar,

If that goes ahead it will be truly sad and pathetic. One of the things people love is the extremity of performance and peak of engineering, with the finest drivers using their skill to control and exploit those features.

Rallying lost Group B 25 years ago and ever since has become progressively more dumbed down, mundane and unspectacular. Now the WRC is barely clinging to life, with dwindling public following and little manufacturer interest.

#8691 Johnrambo

Johnrambo

• 940 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 18:24

Rallying lost Group B 25 years ago and ever since has become progressively more dumbed down,

Don't know how these latest cars are but WRC was technically superior to Group B in just about every sense but raw power. A modern WRC car would absolutely annihilate Group B car on stage despite having half the power.

#8692 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 18:43

Yes, of course, just as a current 750hp F1 car would crush a 1980s 1200hp car, but my point is that Group B was pushing the limit of technologyfor it's time, and further away from what the public could see/access in 'normal' life than the latest WRC is.

Today you can buy a hot hatch for £18k that's nearly as fast as a WRC car, and they don't look much different either. Back in 1985 a fire breathing Quattro S1 or T16 was a thing of awe, and the road going versions were as rare as hens teeth.

I just think the absolute pinnacle of motorsport shouldn't be beconing tamer and a less impressive spectacle by the year. Of course you need a limit, but I see no harm in 900-1000hp.

#8693 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:32

Pirelli says tyres not designed for Schumi
http://www.yallaf1.c.....8YallaF1.com)
Ooh, noo, he is doomed. :rotfl:

Will the Schumacher comeback project get back on track in 2011?
http://www.f1fanatic...7/schumacher-2/

Edited by ivand911, 07 March 2011 - 09:00.

#8694 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:12

Schumacher's liking or not, tires of 2011 will be nuisance; terrible product,terrible idea,terrible races.There is nothing more to say about it.

Edited by Sakae, 07 March 2011 - 10:14.

#8695 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:27

Posted Image

comedy or drama?? :drunk:

#8696 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,210 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:22

Schumacher's liking or not, tires of 2011 will be nuisance; terrible product,terrible idea,terrible races.There is nothing more to say about it.

There's plenty more to say, not least waiting until the racing actually starts before making any assumption on how good or bad the races might be.

#8697 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:59

Some of us can visualize and conceptualize race character, including pitfalls teams will face.
Alonso does not like the tire-lottery, I do not like it as well, regardless if some posters need "evidence".

I for one do not require evidence for having concerns that my driver can get potentially stuck due to an extra pit stop behind fourth tier team, thus loosing track position, points and championship. It would be rather foolish to think that tires shall wear on all cars the same way, regardless of who is piloting the car. Undoubtedly tire will handicap the races, and DEFINITELY not evenly for all cars and all teams. As a fan I think it is unfair, objectionable and unappealing.

Edited by Sakae, 07 March 2011 - 14:45.

#8698 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 13:12

If that goes ahead it will be truly sad and pathetic. One of the things people love is the extremity of performance and peak of engineering, with the finest drivers using their skill to control and exploit those features.

Rallying lost Group B 25 years ago and ever since has become progressively more dumbed down, mundane and unspectacular. Now the WRC is barely clinging to life, with dwindling public following and little manufacturer interest.

People dearly love extremeties of performance but the majority don't know and don't give a rats ass about the tech/engineering and both F1 and Rally cars are very high tech now with extremes of engineering and notice both are numbed down from it? We simply need to get back to raw but then theres no massive amounts of money required so you'll never get teams who hold the sport/money in their hands now to agree

comedy or drama?? :drunk:

Sorry, can you give me a clue as to if you are refering to yourself or the picture?

#8699 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 16:29

I wonder how is Michael feeling after today's session.

Advertisement

#8700 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,611 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 16:42

I wonder how is Michael feeling after today's session.

Seems cheerful and positive. I kind of go by what he says, the guy is always straightforward. So far so good.

Edited by Szoelloe, 10 March 2011 - 16:43.