Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#8801 BMW4life

BMW4life

• 739 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 13:23

Nice post. A little comment about the part marked in bold. They didn't modify the car to suit MSC. They just wanted to find a way to manage the weight distribution better and correct the horrendous understeer it had. This affected both drivers. So they tried a car with a longer wheelbase. Didn't make any difference to Michael coz' Rosberg still beat him. But the changes they made didn't allow Nico to start competing for wins either. In short the W01 sucked and had a very narrow setup range. The car was only partially responsible for his MSC's bad year. More to do with his 3 years off and his racing brain not waking up yet. MSC has no preference for a car with a longer or shorter wheelbase. He just wants a fast nervous car.

Well, I figured that would make it a bit more paletable for those who think MS was nothing more than a lucky also-ran. :rotfl:

I don't try to pretend to know what effect wheelbases have on the performance characteristics of these cars, especially when we're talking about a couple cm difference. It's clear that he's no longer at his prime, and had a pretty rough time getting to grips with it all. But I still maintain that he looked at FA get beat by a rookie, KR getting beat by Massa, JB win a championship while struggling to outperform Rubens Barrichello in the second half of that season, and figured... "even at 41, I must still be at least as good as some of these guys."

Advertisement

#8802 TheMortalBard

TheMortalBard

• 98 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 16:17

Well, I figured that would make it a bit more paletable for those who think MS was nothing more than a lucky also-ran. :rotfl:

I don't try to pretend to know what effect wheelbases have on the performance characteristics of these cars, especially when we're talking about a couple cm difference. It's clear that he's no longer at his prime, and had a pretty rough time getting to grips with it all. But I still maintain that he looked at FA get beat by a rookie, KR getting beat by Massa, JB win a championship while struggling to outperform Rubens Barrichello in the second half of that season, and figured... "even at 41, I must still be at least as good as some of these guys."

Ha Ha ... The part in Bold .... I have a bunch of buds who've mentioned the same thing !

But seriously ... there will always be haters and who think MSC was just 'lucky'. Stirling Moss for example ;) But the haters have the right to hate. I just leave it at that !

But in this phase of his career, I am just glad to see him compete. His drive and competitive nature is something most of the drivers on the grid look up to. I think he'll do much better this year and Nico is no slouch either. It's gonna be great !

#8803 RSNS

RSNS

• 1,489 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 23:12

I am not Schumacher's fan, but the level of hatred here really makes me hope Schumacher will win a race in style this year.
About Moss: I think he can't stand Schumacher because he really thinks Schumacher is better than Senna and Fangio, and that makes Moss a third tier driver, because Moss always acknowledged Fangio to be his better. For a F1 driver to acknowledge that kind of thing is very hard, but he was happy enough to be second to an absolute genius. Now if Fangio is no longer a freak of nature, that makes Moss very ordinary and definitely one of the rest. Which of course he cannot bear; hence the Schumacher obsession.

#8804 Jan.W

Jan.W

• 169 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 23:14

I am not Schumacher's fan, but the level of hatred here really makes me hope Schumacher will win a race in style this year.
About Moss: I think he can't stand Schumacher because he really thinks Schumacher is better than Senna and Fangio, and that makes Moss a third tier driver, because Moss always acknowledged Fangio to be his better. For a F1 driver to acknowledge that kind of thing is very hard, but he was happy enough to be second to an absolute genius. Now if Fangio is no longer a freak of nature, that makes Moss very ordinary and definitely one of the rest. Which of course he cannot bear; hence the Schumacher obsession.

Amen to that. :up:

#8805 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:07

That's telling, because I remember Moss was actually quite a fan of Schumacher before 2002, after 2002, when Michael got equal to fangio, he wasn't singing priase.

U remember albert park 2001, ITV interview, Moss was clearly a fan and stated Michael was making the difference in modern day f1 where the differences are mere tenths. I'm sure Moss was a fan, but he decided to renounce publically his true opinons of what he prevously thought.

I was going through my old F1 magazines and found this quote from Michael,
Total Sport, September 1996:

"Q: When will you retire?"
MS: To be honest, sooner rather than later... There's a problem with old drivers. If you go right up to the age limit then you start to think about it, the driving, and then you become too slow.
So I guess I could go on for another five or six years... as long as I'm enjoying it."

I suppose he still enjoys it. And his speed seems to be ok as well.
But it's interesting hearing him talking about quitting in the early 00 or thereabouts.
While he is still going strong in 2011 and thinking about driving beyond 2012...

When you talk about getting old when your not old, it's different when you get older and discover you still have something driving you. In 2006 in the Monaco after driver briefings before Silverstone, Nico Rosberg said "I can't see him retiring, Michael just has so much drive,." at the time when Rosberg said that, it actually made me think he would be back. And he did come back, like a reformed drinker who couldn't stay away from his drug, speed and tyres underneath him to feel alive, and he actually said that in 2009 testing, "I felt alive again." When someone says that despite having loads of money and time to relax, you know they belong somewhere else.

Schumacher surprised himself in terms of how long he was in f1, you don't stay in f1 that long unless you really are dedicated to something, but he did need that break after 2006 to just live like a retired man enjoying his success, he seemed like he was giving it a shot, but after a while, you stop relaxing, and wanna stretch, is he the stay at home guy who has pizza and watch a film, or the guy who wants a challenge? Until he really does get old to a point where he finds t's a struggle, he's gonna maximise his f1 life, because he already knows what it feels like to be retired and looking back, when you lost something and get it back, you do approach it with freshness, so I'm not surprised if he goes on. He's got a challenge that he didn't have at the end of his ferrari era and he's fresh from a big break, and the critics have this situation of a living legend carving out a possible additional chapter, it's gotta be perhaps one of his greatest challenges.

Edited by SeanValen, 18 March 2011 - 01:29.

#8806 Levike

Levike

• 1,036 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:41

I used to hate him but now i like his way of living and admire his balls to come back. I really hope that he will kick some young gun's ass this year.

#8807 Speed_Racer

Speed_Racer

• 242 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:43

I'm wonder what the Italian media is saying about MS ...

#8808 Claudius

Claudius

• 2,277 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:10

When you talk about getting old when your not old, it's different when you get older and discover you still have something driving you. In 2006 in the Monaco after driver briefings before Silverstone, Nico Rosberg said "I can't see him retiring, Michael just has so much drive,." at the time when Rosberg said that, it actually made me think he would be back. And he did come back, like a reformed drinker who couldn't stay away from his drug, speed and tyres underneath him to feel alive, and he actually said that in 2009 testing, "I felt alive again." When someone says that despite having loads of money and time to relax, you know they belong somewhere else.

Schumacher surprised himself in terms of how long he was in f1, you don't stay in f1 that long unless you really are dedicated to something, but he did need that break after 2006 to just live like a retired man enjoying his success, he seemed like he was giving it a shot, but after a while, you stop relaxing, and wanna stretch, is he the stay at home guy who has pizza and watch a film, or the guy who wants a challenge? Until he really does get old to a point where he finds t's a struggle, he's gonna maximise his f1 life, because he already knows what it feels like to be retired and looking back, when you lost something and get it back, you do approach it with freshness, so I'm not surprised if he goes on. He's got a challenge that he didn't have at the end of his ferrari era and he's fresh from a big break, and the critics have this situation of a living legend carving out a possible additional chapter, it's gotta be perhaps one of his greatest challenges.

Good post Sean. :up:
I just found it a bit funny to read that quote, and compare it to the situation today.
But it seems he still has the fire to win, that makes all the difference.

#8809 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:44

That's telling, because I remember Moss was actually quite a fan of Schumacher before 2002, after 2002, when Michael got equal to fangio, he wasn't singing priase.

U remember albert park 2001, ITV interview, Moss was clearly a fan and stated Michael was making the difference in modern day f1 where the differences are mere tenths. I'm sure Moss was a fan, but he decided to renounce publically his true opinons of what he prevously thought.

Yep, I remember that too; Moss was always heaping praise on MS in th 1990s then began finding reasons him discredit him. I don't know whether RSNS is right, but Moss' volte-face is certainly curious.

#8810 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:07

Moss made a good choice in rejecting the Dark Force Spell....

He clearly 'woke up' of the Schumacher deception of the late 90's / early 2000's.

Give the man some credit.

#8811 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,174 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 17:46

Post have been deleted.

Please do not discuss other posters, and cut out the xenophobia. Please also stick to the topic, which is 'Michael Schumacher' and not 'Sir Stirling Moss'. His opinions are what matter here, and not the man.

#8812 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,203 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:49

Will Schumi have 92 race wins after the next 168 hours? :)

#8813 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:51

Will Schumi have 92 race wins after the next 168 hours? :)

probably not :lol:

would have been nice to see him hit 100 race wins but i dont think hes got much chance in the next 2 seasons. im expecting a much more competitive michael but i dont think the car is quite good enough to beat the the RB 's and ferrari

#8814 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 730 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 13:15

He's already been talking about possibly extending the MGP deal.

Anything can happen. If the package is good enough to stay in touch with the front then the possibility exists. How do we know that Webber isn't going to take out Vettel again, or someone blows an engine, or a fortuitous safety car period occurs. With the new tires the opening races could be a lottery and the first team that hits on the ideal tire strategy will have the early advantage.

I hope the W02 is at least good enough for him to be able to defend against the top cars, and to get past the slower cars effectively. That and a little good luck.

#8815 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 13:23

He looked rather promising last year at Melbourne. Would've possibly racked up a podium without that first corner incident. And that was in a car he had a lot of trouble in throughout the year. In this car he might prove to be an outsider :)

#8816 111griff111

111griff111

• 12 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 14:14

This year is going to be alot about strategy. I would want Ross calling my strategy. That is how Micheal is going to win a few races this year.Take that to the bank!

#8817 Johnrambo

Johnrambo

• 940 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 14:39

He's already been talking about possibly extending the MGP deal.

Some good stuff MS is enjoying today. :smoking: I bet he won't get his wish unless he has pictures of Merc bosses in various embarrassing situations. :lol:

#8818 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 17:15

Some good stuff MS is enjoying today. :smoking: I bet he won't get his wish unless he has pictures of Merc bosses in various embarrassing situations. :lol:

This is old news. And you are not well informed. Haug first started this talks.
http://www.gpupdate....ign-schumacher/

#8819 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,459 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 19:18

I think its important to bear in mind here that Moss is allowed his opinion whether we agree with him or not. It shouldn't be a case of "he thinks Schumacher is a dirty driver so lets attack Moss's status in the history of F1", because anyone with any credibility should know the difference between the retrospective era's. Moss isn't the only person in the sport who didn't appreciate Schumacher's ocassional actions that went beyond the spirit of the rules, but I'm sure he respects what he has achieved at the same time.

Advertisement

#8820 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 730 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 20:30

Moss raced in an era where death was not uncommon. If you go back and watch those GPs it is evident the the drivers were careful to leave each other room to race. Things have changed, and Schumacher does not deserve to be singled out because the entire sport has become more aggressive. Look at the incidents Coulthard has caused, not the least of which was when he took off Schumacher's right front wheel in a blinding wet race.

Edited by Tardis40, 20 March 2011 - 20:30.

#8821 steveninthematrix

steveninthematrix

• 329 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:48

since I've seen all of MS wins, I was happy with 52, when he overtook Prost....

now, I guess the next step, would be 93 i.e.

Michael 93 > Prost 51 + Senna 41

and he needs just 2 wins for that; I think the Pirelli tires allowing the car to be setup pointy/oversteering, is really helping Michael.... everyone did a or a few quali lap runs at Barcelona, and MS was fastest...

now, can Merc keep up the development and compete with Redbull and Ferrari; who knows, we'll see....but Alonso did say, his biggest threat this year was Michael; did he know something?

#8822 Richardc

Richardc

• 235 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:55

did he know something?

I don't think so. I think that was more down to having a respect for past performance, which few others seem to have.

#8823 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 16:45

It's crazy to think that this guy was so close to 13 consecutive wins.

#8824 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 730 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 17:02

How about an entire season on the podium every race?

#8825 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,894 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 17:17

Indeed, if the Monaco 04 tunnel incident hadn't have occured with Montoya, then 13 wins on the trot would have been a mighty achievement for Schumacher.

It just goes to show, put the best driver in the best car and you see utter dominance.

I dare say, if you put one of today's drivers in the best car (ie Red Bull) that had a clear margin over others, we wouldn't have seen the same sort of domination Schumacher displayed in 2002 and 2004.

#8826 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 17:21

I dare say, if you put one of today's drivers in the best car (ie Red Bull) that had a clear margin over others, we wouldn't have seen the same sort of domination Schumacher displayed in 2002 and 2004.

Absolutely.

#8827 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 17:36

How about an entire season on the podium every race?

Yep Michael holds some unbelievable records and if I did my math correctly we have in Australia next weekend:

Michael 7 WDCs, all the others on the grid 5 WDCs between them.
Michael 91 wins, all the others on the grid 89 wins between them.
:eek:

#8828 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,203 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 18:56

Michael Schumacher and his Nice 2011 F1 Mercedes MGP W02

#8829 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 19:07

Nice. I suppose that's what they were filming after the test at one point?

#8830 SchumiBoy

SchumiBoy

• 1,261 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 19:17

Nice. I suppose that's what they were filming after the test at one point?

Some of it looks like Barcelona but they seem to have done some Rockingham filming as well

#8831 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,612 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 19:18

Moss raced in an era where death was not uncommon. If you go back and watch those GPs it is evident the the drivers were careful to leave each other room to race. Things have changed, and Schumacher does not deserve to be singled out because the entire sport has become more aggressive. Look at the incidents Coulthard has caused, not the least of which was when he took off Schumacher's right front wheel in a blinding wet race.

Well, when Schuey started it was also very dangerous and yet caused or almost caused a few ugly incidents. But yeah, Coulthard was the champ in this category :)

#8832 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 19:19

Some of it looks like Barcelona but they seem to have done some Rockingham filming as well

I was thinking the same. I see some water on the track where he is walking. Barcelona was dry on Friday when they filmed. Some oval also. Secret test, I hope. :) Nice slides. To do that he feel the car well.

Edited by ivand911, 21 March 2011 - 19:23.

#8833 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,287 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 23:41

Fernando Alonso video

If Formula One was 24 cars exactly the same, then Michael would be the driver I would fear most," revealed Alonso.
"If you look down the list of drivers on the grid for 2011, then one name stands out above the rest, Michael Schumacher.
"Michael is a seven-times world champion and is a legend in Formula One. We have to respect him because he has the ability and talent to do well this season."

Video http://edition.cnn.c...view/index.html

#8834 BiH

BiH

• 2,302 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 00:00

video part from 1:11 to 1:15 that some serious powersliding :eek:

#8835 FigJam

FigJam

• 2,034 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:16

Don't agree. Had Alonso or Hamilton been in the Red Bulls last year, it would have been domination.

Maybe not quite 2004 Ferrari proportions but close. Mainly because Red Bull still had reliability issues.

#8836 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 730 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:20

Good one. I noticed that he mentions the rear wing, and in the event of a control failure it will stay closed just from the force of the air flowing over it. That's something I was wondering about.

That still doesn't eliminate the possibility of a different kind of control failure holding it open though.

#8837 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 730 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:29

People can say what they want about the perceived advantages that Michael and Ferrari are supposed to have had. Even if you stipulate that it's all accurate, he still had to drive the car, complete the race distance, and finish in front of all the other cars 91 times and in front of all but one of the other cars another 40 some odd times. The numbers are so big they tend to lose perspective. Look at all the drivers that have competed in the sport and never got a sniff of a single win. Some hapless souls never finished a race, or even qualified to race.

Put a different driver in the car and those records never happen.

#8838 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:25

Don't agree. Had Alonso or Hamilton been in the Red Bulls last year, it would have been domination.

Maybe not quite 2004 Ferrari proportions but close. Mainly because Red Bull still had reliability issues.

Why? When exactly has Alonso dominated anything? He had an excellent car in 2005 and both their rivals started the season off way behind in terms of pace and reliability: was he anywhere close to being as dominant as Schumacher was in 2002 or 2004? No.

Hamilton perhaps hasn't had as good or straightforward a chance as Alonso yet,but my judging by his performance in 2007 I'd say he will do better than Alonso but still nowhere close to MS.

#8839 FigJam

FigJam

• 2,034 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:08

Your really underestimating them both.

Advertisement

#8840 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:06

You could say I was underestimating them if there was even a shred of evidence to support the notion that they could match MS in his prime: there isn't any.

Look at their first title winning campaigns. Schumacher had effectively only 75% of the season to get the job done, was robbed of a win and had two gifted to his chief rival: and yet managed to win more than either Alonso or Hamilton could. Alonso further had the benefit of a superior car in the first half of his season,a luxury that MS didn't have. Hamilton did a better job considering how good the Ferrari was, but was it as convincing as 1994? Absolutely not. MS won more in 12 races than Alonso or Hamilton could in an entire season.

Look at Alonso's career stats. At the same stage in their respective careers, Schumacher had won more than twice as many races as Alonso has managed so far: 53 to 26. There's a massive gulf between the win percentages of someone like Alonso and drivers like Schumacher and Senna, at every stage of their careers. FA has been racing for ten years now and so far there has been absolutely nothing to suggest he is capable of doing as good a job with a dominant car. If people choose to ignore the facts, even subjectively speaking, I am yet to see a single demon drive from Alonso of the same calibre as, for instance, Spain 94 or Monaco 97. What is amusing to me is that people persist with believing this baseless 'most complete driver' nonsense because of the hype, and are then at a loss words to explain some of his 'uncharacteristic' mistakes year after year. Schumacher also had no real weaknesses at this stage in his career, unlike Hamilton who has messed up twice when it counts most.

#8841 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,332 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:10

Simply, Schumacher, is the best

#8842 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,771 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:01

If people choose to ignore the facts, even subjectively speaking, I am yet to see a single demon drive from Alonso of the same calibre as, for instance, Spain 94 or Monaco 97.

Oh I don't know, I thought he drove a pretty decent race at Imola in 2005.

#8843 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:13

There's no definitive evidence that LH is that much better than Vettel, or indeed better at all.

#8844 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,459 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:18

There's no definitive evidence that LH is that much better than Vettel, or indeed better at all.

Its all down to opinion but I think Lewis's racecraft is far superior than that of Vettel IMO. Vettel is a hot lap specialist and has had the machinery to back him up once he has been at the front. I don't remember many races where he has had to attack from the mid field and work his way up successfully and I can think of a few examples from LH. Vettel is still reletively new and I think it will come with time, but theres no way I would put him on the same level or ahead of Hamilton in terms of ability right now.

#8845 Jomyboy

Jomyboy

• 179 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 13:50

You could say I was underestimating them if there was even a shred of evidence to support the notion that they could match MS in his prime: there isn't any.

Look at their first title winning campaigns. Schumacher had effectively only 75% of the season to get the job done, was robbed of a win and had two gifted to his chief rival: and yet managed to win more than either Alonso or Hamilton could. Alonso further had the benefit of a superior car in the first half of his season,a luxury that MS didn't have. Hamilton did a better job considering how good the Ferrari was, but was it as convincing as 1994? Absolutely not. MS won more in 12 races than Alonso or Hamilton could in an entire season.

Look at Alonso's career stats. At the same stage in their respective careers, Schumacher had won more than twice as many races as Alonso has managed so far: 53 to 26. There's a massive gulf between the win percentages of someone like Alonso and drivers like Schumacher and Senna, at every stage of their careers. FA has been racing for ten years now and so far there has been absolutely nothing to suggest he is capable of doing as good a job with a dominant car. If people choose to ignore the facts, even subjectively speaking, I am yet to see a single demon drive from Alonso of the same calibre as, for instance, Spain 94 or Monaco 97. What is amusing to me is that people persist with believing this baseless 'most complete driver' nonsense because of the hype, and are then at a loss words to explain some of his 'uncharacteristic' mistakes year after year. Schumacher also had no real weaknesses at this stage in his career, unlike Hamilton who has messed up twice when it counts most.

I am a big-time schumi fan but even I have to admit Alonso's drive in Hungary 2006 was one of the best drives in F1 History until he had the tyre nut problem. But schumi's drive in China was like the ULTIMATE!!!!! I was watched the race again and again - Just too Good to be true. Almost reminds me the story of the hare and the tortoise .. lol :)

#8846 FigJam

FigJam

• 2,034 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 14:01

Depends on how you rate the 2010 Red Bull. Depends on how you rate Mark Webber also...

I think there is evidence. Depends on what you accept as evidence.

#8847 cilurnum

cilurnum

• 1,686 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 14:03

Oh I don't know, I thought he drove a pretty decent race at Imola in 2005.

Raikkonen drove a better one.

#8848 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 14:42

Schumi's Sekret Tageblog: Season Preview
http://www.planetf1....-Season-Preview

Hello to my loyal and much anticipating tifosis. You will be not surprised to learn that my gung-ho is at a maximum right now. Very soon action will commence in Melbourne on my second season at Mercedes and I am excited as a nerd kid trying to get into school early to do a lengthy and complicated experiment in the science labs.

What is making me such a gung-ho? I think if you have been following the testing programme you will know. In Barcelona we achieved a big step with the W02. This step was big enough to put me on top of the timesheets when all the dust settled down. This big step might, or might not, help me to the top step, but it is certainly a positive step and a forward step. Although we cannot know what fuel the other cars were running, we know at least we are not driving a McLaren.

I read a news item from Martin Whitmarsh saying that McLaren might surprise a few people in Melbourne. This could be the truth. If they manage to run 30 laps without breaking down I will be surprised.

If you compare the number of laps Ferrari are running to the number of laps that McLaren are running and then think of them as pre-owned cars (Mercedes because of their dealer organisation do not allow us to use the word second-hand, it must always be "pre-owned". My watch doesn't have a second hand, it has a pre-owned hand!) then the Ferrari is a Sales Rep's car having thundered down a lot of autobahn miles on the track, with no stopping at service station for pies. The McLaren is like a grandmother's car that has just gone to the shops. But not even come back. Perhaps even it has been clamped while at the shops.

My great old small friend Bernie Ecclestone has been hitting the news in only a way that Bernie can. He is full of amusing things to say and you can never take him quite seriously. This week he told a lot of Australian reporters that the grand prix in Melbourne was as important as the race in Monaco. He is right and for me it is the same. They are both worth 25 points to win.

Another funny thing he is saying is that he does not like small eco-engines and that people come to races for two things, and one of the things is to hear the noise. But people in Turkey do not come to the race anyway, noise or no noise. It is a TV sport. Or, as they say in Australia, it is a TV sport sport. Quite honestly and obviously and honestly and obviously if they want to have a large level of noise in F1 then they should consider bringing back Murray Walker.

Next week is going to be a great big shake-up when we see how well everybody has done with their new cars and also how good is the commentators' eyesight. It will be difficult to spot the difference between the new Pirelli tyres with three light colours - white, yellow and silver - for three of the dry weather tyres. We all know David Coulthard's eyesight and judgement is not the best so I think he will struggle.

I am sure the racing will be helped. I am looking forward to kicking Nico Rosberg's backside in a fatherly, stop-playing-Xbox-and-get-out-and-clean-the-car kind of way. We have taken out a bet that if he wins a grand prix first, I will have to be pleasant to his engineer Hamish McSporran for the entire season, or alternatively, dress up as Richard Branson for a whole weekend. The first is obviously the best option of the two, but, dear friends, I do not intend to do either.

To Australia...

Love and kisses

The Schum

Edited by ivand911, 22 March 2011 - 14:42.

#8849 salamin

salamin

• 1,692 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 15:19

ahead of the australian GP, here is one of my fav overtakes from MS tricking JPM in the 1st corner

#8850 JamesRaynor

JamesRaynor

• 652 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 15:23

I predict this will be Michael Schumacher's last year in F1.