Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#851 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,825 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 20:58

Give the champ atleast couple of races, why so eager to pound his status to ground?
Its a disease this instant glorification and impatient criticism.

Yes I regret having been born late enough to live in the age of the thirty-second attention span!

Advertisement

#852 soca

soca

• 216 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:27

Schumacher insists title still possible

When asked if he agreed with Fernando Alonso's recent suggestion that he was still a championship contender, Schumacher said: "Indeed, yes I do.

"If you take the points system and you see that like Fernando, he had a retirement in Malaysia [and] for whatever reason it can happen to all of us.

"I had mine in Malaysia and at one point of the season it will hit the guys fighting for the championship. So if we have a quick enough development speed, there is no reason why we cannot fight for championship.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/82872

good old Schumi, never giving up :up:

#853 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,332 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:29

Schumacher will win a race before Nico does

#854 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:05

Some Michael Schumacher pictures from China:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2gv516u.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/rji0sg.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/28v4r9x.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/oh1mi1.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/szbsew.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/vg0506.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/25qt6ia.jpg

A few more...

http://i44.tinypic.com/xml547.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2cnf3nq.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nkukbt.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/wj8003.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/2ufzjo8.jpg

http://images.gpupda...arge/150763.jpg

Edited by Buttoneer, 17 April 2010 - 09:12.
copyright infringement

#855 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:59

Great pics,thanks! Those black outfits are awesome.

#856 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:01

Great pics,thanks! Those black outfits are awesome.

Makes you wonder why on earth the car looks like it does.

#857 soca

soca

• 216 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:36

thanks for the great pictures and mercedes has by far the best team merchandise.

#858 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 13:16

You back, we back. It says all. :)

#859 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 19:11

What I find even more hilarious than the judgments that three races have shown he's lost it, are the constant predictions that he'll be quitting soon. Some people apparently don't know the first thing about Michael Schumacher or his history and yet, simultaneously, are so intimate with him so as to know his thoughts about the near future even before he's given any outward indication of them whatsoever.

Maybe some of us DO know his history, and the reasons for his past "success".
Maybe some never forgot the Hill and Villeneuve incidents, the persistent traction control, or the blatant manipulation of F1 by Ferrari in the Schumi era.

The emperor has no clothes. Regardless of what happens this year, the hero worshipers will always provide an excuse for this guy.

Advertisement

#860 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 19:22

Lets give him until the classic European part of season starts, but my reading of his statements is a few more races getting soundly beaten by Rosberg and he will quit.

#861 fastlegs

fastlegs

• 1,952 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 19:26

I'll keep repeating it, 2 and a bit races after a 3 year layoff at 41 years old and with no testing time available yet look at all the judgement calls.

I'll wait a few more races before passing judgment but I think what he has shown already isn't too shabby.

China has been good to him and I hope this weekend he will be closer yet, maybe very close to Rosberg - personally I still don't expect him to be faster or even "as fast" as Rosberg for the next couple.

I think the world will take notice though when/if he finds the 'sweet spot'.

Totally agree. :up:

#862 CSquared

CSquared

• 617 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 21:27

Maybe some never forgot the Hill and Villeneuve incidents, the persistent traction control, or the blatant manipulation of F1 by Ferrari in the Schumi era.

The emperor has no clothes. Regardless of what happens this year, the hero worshipers will always provide an excuse for this guy.

I don't dispute or defend any of those incidents, nor am I a hero worshipper or a fanboy. I just know from the last 19 years of watching F1 that Michael Schumacher is not, and never has been, the type to quit or give up. And I don't see how any of those examples show him to be. On the contrary, he's one of the most intensely competitive, persistent, and hard-working people I've ever seen.

And those familiar with the reasons for his past success will also know that one of those reasons is another intensely talented and competitive individual named Ross Brawn.

Lets give him until the classic European part of season starts, but my reading of his statements is a few more races getting soundly beaten by Rosberg and he will quit.

Which statements are those?

#863 Wade

Wade

• 426 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 23:54

Wow, Schumi wearing black, next to a guy wearing red? Something just doesn't look right.;)

But yessir, those outfits are damn nice, the car should've been in that scheme too.

#864 Jan.W

Jan.W

• 169 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 23:59

Congratulations.
This is the stupidest thing ever written on this forum. :up:

Edited by Jan.W, 16 April 2010 - 00:01.

#865 1amiga

1amiga

• 48 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 00:48

Just ignore the sad bitter trolls - you aren't going to stop them with logic or common sense.

Good to see in the above pictures some people still enjoy F1 !

#866 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:46

Schumi still in good spirit... :)

An additional advantage might bring the new rear wing. "We would not use him unless he had something better than the old man. It brings us no miracle, but it definitely helps. I could say how much better he is, but I do not," Schumacher joked and proved once again that nothing can spoil his good mood. "If you are looking at the details, then there is no reason for me not to be in good spirits. Even if I did not run in the results that I have been run before," said the German.

"But there are reasons and circumstances - and in spite of these reasons and circumstances I am satisfied with what I deliver on performance," said the 41-year-old.A victory would lift the spirits of the Germans, however, once again. "As my good mood would surely degenerate. But the chances are low, because our performance is not enough to independently herauszufahren victory," said Schumacher.

http://translate.goo...y...=auto&tl=en

#867 Polle

Polle

• 292 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 13:24

worst post of the week.

#868 Paolo

Paolo

• 1,673 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 14:10

As sorry as I am saying this, the man has lost the spark.

Give him time?

The "original" Schumacher badly outqualified the extremely fast Andrea De Cesaris at Spa (!), on his F1 debut, without any previous knowledge of the track and ONE test on the car.

From Wikipedia:

"Schumacher made his Formula One debut with the Jordan-Ford team at the 1991 Belgian Grand Prix, driving car number 32 as a replacement for the imprisoned Bertrand Gachot. Schumacher, still a contracted Mercedes driver, was signed by Eddie Jordan after Mercedes paid Jordan $150,000 for his debut.[23] The week before the race, Schumacher impressed Jordan designer Gary Anderson and team manager Trevor Foster during a test drive at Silverstone. His manager Willi Weber assured Jordan that Schumacher knew the challenging Spa track well, although in fact he had only seen it as a spectator. During the race weekend, team-mate Andrea de Cesaris was meant to show Schumacher the circuit but was held up with contract negotiations. Schumacher then learned the track on his own, by cycling around the track on a fold-up bike he had brought with him.[24] He impressed the paddock by qualifying seventh in this race. This matched the team's season-best grid position, and out-qualified 11-year veteran de Cesaris."

He's been a great, now he's just a good driver.

Edited by Paolo, 16 April 2010 - 14:13.

#869 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 15:19

You need to study history in full Mate not just the parts that suit you. 1994 Hill was behind and MS was knocked out for 3 races, read up. 1997 your hero won the WDC, whats your problem with that? Ferrari manipulated F1 then why was it not the fastest car until 2000? (the MS era started in 1994 and he wasn't in a Ferrari). 3 teams were accused of TC, not just one and the FIA couldn't prove it and if they did have TC what happened to MS's teammate, why wasn't he also up there?

My excuse is 91 GPs and 7 WDC's - whats your Hero's excuse?

Look at the scoreboard and stop living in the past with your very miserable attitude.

#870 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 15:22

As sorry as I am saying this, the man has lost the spark.

He's been a great, now he's just a good driver.

What are you bored or something? Do you think his greatness will evaporate just because he may not cut it this year? What have you ever done in your life even at a constrained level that you can shout from the rooftops about? Go back to sleep.

I'll keep repeating it, 2 and a bit races after a 3 year layoff at 41 years old and with no testing time available yet look at all the judgement calls.

I'll wait a few more races before passing judgment but I think what he has shown already isn't too shabby.

#871 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 562 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 15:56

http://i44.tinypic.com/wj8003.jpg
Two things about this picture- 1, it'll be in a "caption this!" thread within the hour. Great facial expressions going on here. 2, where can I buy Schumacher's jacket? I know it's probably $200, but it's awesome!

#872 Paolo

Paolo

• 1,673 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 19:37

What are you bored or something? Do you think his greatness will evaporate just because he may not cut it this year? What have you ever done in your life even at a constrained level that you can shout from the rooftops about? Go back to sleep.

Sorry to hear these tones from a TF habitue.

#873 eoin

eoin

• 5,010 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:14

Ouch, as I suspected, the tyre excuse in Sepang was just that. Clearly he is struggling with understeer in the slow corners but ANY driver that deserves to be in the sport wouldn't be over 7 tenths off his team mate in ANY car. It's time to re-retire.

#874 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:04

MICHAEL SCHUMACHER

“I am obviously disappointed about my qualifying. It didn’t really come together today. In certain areas I was just not quick enough and at some corner exits, I struggled a bit with rear end grip. I haven’t really found the balance of the car all weekend. It will be tough to be too optimistic for tomorrow from my grid position but then I had some good starts lately and there is always room for lots of things to happen in Formula One races. We can still achieve some good points and I am definitely going to go for it.”

ROSS BRAWN
“Well done to Nico and the team for an excellent performance in qualifying today. Fourth position is certainly ahead of where we expected to be this weekend and Nico drove very well in all three qualifying sessions to put himself in contention for a strong race tomorrow. Michael has not achieved such a good balance on the car this weekend and had a less satisfying day. However he will give it everything in the race tomorrow and should have the opportunity to show the progress made since the start of the season.

http://www.mercedes-...

Edited by merschu, 17 April 2010 - 09:05.

#875 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,900 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:19

At the moment, Schumi is doing himself and his reputation no favours...

#876 stormshadow

stormshadow

• 508 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:14

You need to study history in full Mate not just the parts that suit you. 1994 Hill was behind and MS was knocked out for 3 races, read up. 1997 your hero won the WDC, whats your problem with that? Ferrari manipulated F1 then why was it not the fastest car until 2000? (the MS era started in 1994 and he wasn't in a Ferrari). 3 teams were accused of TC, not just one and the FIA couldn't prove it and if they did have TC what happened to MS's teammate, why wasn't he also up there?

My excuse is 91 GPs and 7 WDC's - whats your Hero's excuse?

Look at the scoreboard and stop living in the past with your very miserable attitude.

Dont waste your breath mate its not worth it. Michael doesnt need to be defended from the trolls.
They are just an extended part of his fanclub :) .

#877 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:40

I thnk were missing a general point about Schumi at China.

Spins out in qualifying turn 1, we learned he braked on a small bump later, he did set fastest lap in the race, but I don't think he finds a general grove and flow around here like he may do at Spain and Spa, especially given his laptimes at albert park and sepang.

2005. crashes out before the race begins, my god, I do think he was content in skipping this race, he generally is strong at all tracks and has won this in the rain, but rain is different, it changes the track, in the dry I think this track is not naturally suited to our living legend here.

2006, title on the line, raining, super quali performance and race, but it was raining, different track and challenge.

I don't think we've seen Michael excel at this track in the dry, he's done only 3 races and the one he won was in the wet, and his 2 dry races have been flops, and I do remember a ferrari worker comment back in 2006 or 2005 that Michael does not like this track. I don't expect him to say it now, but I don't think the china grand prix is timed well given his luck in the last 2 races, we could of done with a bahrain or incident free albert park race this weekend, because as much as I want him to do well tomorrow, and you never know, he might,, but set up issues, no sunday warm up session to correct it anymore, and a track that's not his favorite, I think he definately could of done with this race being raced later in the season when he's gotten through the car on other tracks.

So tomorrow's race, a realistic prediction
POOR RACE expected on his worst track I think with a car he's hasn't sorted out properly with testing and the team yet, these fly away races just generally bad, and this last one I expect to be bad should be his worst result giving what I know about his history here in the dry, his issues with the current merc car.

I get the impression Schumacher would rather skip it but he will get the points he can and endure the media's wrath for the team. Schumacher would replace China with Imolla in a second.
But still he's obviously had issues bigger then usual with set up today, but I think part of the reasoning is his dislike for the track which he isn't admitting I think, but I still think even he could of done better today on his worst track, as it is too much time to give away and he has admitted he is disappointed in it.

China for Schumacher should be near the end of the season, especially this season, but it's out of the way after this weekend.

Tracks like Magney Cours and Spa/Imola, Schumi and Kimi are the best at these, because they are the fastest drivers we have seen on those tracks over the last decades, especially against their teamates, We still have odd races here and there where many drivers can look good and then be lost at Spa/France, anyone remember Kimi in 2008 france, Massa even admitted there was nothing I could do to catch him, Schumi's won france like 8-9 times I think, maybe it's the 1st/2nd sector, maybe f1 tracks in general need more Spa like corners for the faster drivers, China seems to be neither of those speciality tracks, so if your not liking the car already, your doomed like Schumi is, but he'll still go for it, it's the one gp track where you have to accept he hasn't done well in the dry yet, 2004 actually was his only dry race there, I don't think one gp is representive, he hasn't raced there much.

Michael struggeled with his hockenheim set up in 1998, wasn't even fighting the mclarens, but was still driving the socks off the car to catch up, but even he had sunday warm up back then, so it will either be a bad race tomorrow or a surprise turn of performance if he or his team can change anything during the race.

Edited by SeanValen, 17 April 2010 - 10:49.

#878 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:49

Great post.

Definitely, agreed fully!

And another one of his Melbourne starts and quali is made undone.

Perhaps we will see rain and we will be in for a surprise as well.

#879 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:52

I don't know what I want for the race tomorrow- wet or dry. :) I think dry is more secure bet, if he take 1-2 places at the start and maybe 1 place in the box. 5-6 is the maximum for tomorrow in a dry race. Lets hope some crash at the front not involving him. :cool: In a wet there will be even more threat for drivers behind him, than he attacking the front. Hope he finish the race tomorrow.

Edited by ivand911, 17 April 2010 - 10:54.

Advertisement

#880 Nathan

Nathan

• 2,563 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:03

Perhaps what he meant was in the car as of now he isn`t `great`. He does look quite average. And I do understand the fact he has been away, but as a MS fan I always remember reading about his ability to quickly find the limit. It doesn`t seem like he can do that to the same level. F1 drivers are not speerated by much, so you don`t have to decline much to become just good (in the present, not overall).

#881 Cheap Wine Alesi

Cheap Wine Alesi

• 2,723 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:05

Lets hope some crash at the front not involving him. :cool:

How classy.

if someone crashes, lets hope it is michael :up:

#882 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,305 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:12

How classy.

if someone crashes, lets hope it is michael :up:

No less classy from you then.

#883 Sophie

Sophie

• 193 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:21

Why would you want someone to crash.
We watch this for drama/action, but not for crashes to be honest.. I am not a massive fan of schu, also not suprised that his pace is not there yet. But I think he will get there, maybe in the middle of Europes races.
As a Hamilton fan I did want to see him racing side by side together, so lets hope he does get up there. Would be great to see them racing, also with Alonso!

#884 SilentKiller

SilentKiller

• 646 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:44

. Lets hope some crash at the front not involving him. :cool:

Unfortunately for Schumi, Sutil is just besides him. :lol:

#885 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 13:17

But Button and Alonso, will be not there. :lol:

Edited by ivand911, 17 April 2010 - 13:17.

#886 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:03

Hah,people want him to change his helmet paintjob! He's a bit of a superstitious man,I think he ought to do it. :D

#887 RSNS

RSNS

• 1,492 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:25

Another very bad job.

#888 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:17

How is Schumacher's fitness? Driving F1 cars is extremely exhausting (ask Jarno Trulli) and can reveal otherwise hidden injuries.

How is that neck holding up?

#889 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,305 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:18

Another very bad job.

Another? was his first bad job imo

#890 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,238 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:18

Adrian Sutil: "It may sound funny, but Michael has to learn how to drive an F1 car again. Above all, the tyres are extremely sensitive. This is totally underestimated. In order to use them fully, he just needs more experience."

#891 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:22

How is Schumacher's fitness? Driving F1 cars is extremely exhausting (ask Jarno Trulli) and can reveal otherwise hidden injuries.

How is that neck holding up?

I heard rumors that the bumpy braking zone after the long straight caused some pain. Let's see if he can recover in time for the next race...

#892 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,766 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:22

Adrian Sutil: "It may sound funny, but Michael has to learn how to drive an F1 car again. Above all, the tyres are extremely sensitive. This is totally underestimated. In order to use them fully, he just needs more experience."

I think that's a fair comment haha and it does sound funny to make that comment about Michael Schumacher considering his CV, but he is returning into a new era of Formula 1, much to learn to get to grips with it all.

#893 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,312 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:01

Why would we listen to adrian sutil when the trolls in this forum know so much more

#894 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,633 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:09

I heard rumors that the bumpy braking zone after the long straight caused some pain.

no, you haven't. You are starting rumours.

#895 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,114 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:10

Why would we listen to adrian sutil when the trolls in this forum know so much more

Well darlin..
I was rather pleased to read the following from you..

Lewham is the new michael s.

Welcome to the club
Jp

#896 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:21

Schumacher downcast after tough day

"As you imagine, there were some good emotions but there were unfortunately too many bad emotions," Schumacher told the BBC.

"Actually at the beginning I thought we were quite clever when some others changed for intermediates but it turned out to be the wrong decision [for them].

"But, quite honestly, I think all weekend didn't work out for myself. I think you have to compliment the English team [McLaren] and say congratulations to them - done a great job.

"I had a nice battle with Lewis at some point, some nice kissing to each other. But, nevertheless, they've done it. Even congratulations to Nico, who made it up to the podium so at least one of us scored good points."

Schumacher said he had to get used to this year's intermediate tyres, which he reckons are quite different from the one he used to have before his retirement.

"Again it is a new condition and these intermediates are slightly different to what I know from the past and you have to pace yourself dramatically in order to keep them alive for long enough.

"Difficultly was, with the weather, to predict how long the rain is going to last or not going to last, do we change back to dries, how quick you can push. So, it's a new experience for me."

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/83021

#897 Monad

Monad

• 399 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:29

I don't know how you people saw it but Schumi seemed to me that he clearly tried to push a few people of the track today when they where trying to overtake him. A whole lot of noise was made about Hamilton weaving last time about something the rules weren't clear. But the rules are definitely clear about pushing another car of the circuit, why is Schumi keep doing it?
It wasn't a matter of difficulty controlling the car and leaving space, it was clear that he went intentionally on the side of the track leaving the other drivers with no choice to ether get out of the track and fall back or even lose control, or stay on there line and collide with him. This is something very usual for him but am sick of seeing it.

#898 fetzo

fetzo

• 71 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:31

Schumacher didn´t push anyone out of the track.

He defended his position a bit harder, like everyone would do. It was not unfair.

Edited by Buttoneer, 18 April 2010 - 16:31.

#899 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:34

Stupid thread, Massa went round the outside and Schumi kept the racing line, I am a tifosi and the fault was with Massa

Same with Hamilton too that was Schumi just sticking to the racing line

Why should a driver have to move off the racing line to convenience someone trying to overtake him ?

Advertisement

#900 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:34

Watching the onboards feed on Lewis when he first came up against him, Schumi really ran through the hairpin to defend, right across to the far side of the track. Leopard, spots.