Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#9151 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:15

I never really liked Schumacher, but I do not shut my eyes to reality. His driving, sharpness, motivation and pure speed were unbelievable.

RSNS. :up:

We don't have to give him anything, except appreciation for all the fantastic hours of entertainment he has given us. Michael will be around this season and next, and perhaps after that if the car looks interesting. I look forward to it.

Same here. Just glad to be able to watch him race again.

As for what he might decide to do once he's done racing, a role within the FIA would be good. He could work with Todt and perhaps succeed him at the very top some years down the line..

Advertisement

#9152 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:24

schumachers turn to tell the bbc his top 5 races
http://www.bbc.co.uk...classic_f1.html
some nice answers :)

#9153 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:11

Hardcore Schumi Fan!
Posted Image

Posted Image

The recent poor results do not seem to get the reputation of Michael Schumacher. On Wednesday, the seven times world Formula 1 was the most harassed into signing session in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, scene of next Sunday's race. He just did not have the love of a fan at least "exotic."
The German admirers attended quietly until he was overtaken by a man carrying a huge tattoo on his back in honor of the pilot, 42 years. The champion trophy of the year in which Schumacher was champion and all the races in which emerged victorious are reported "ever" in the body of the fan, who is also an admirer of the English club Manchester United.
Visibly surprised, the experienced pilot gave attention to the fan and awarded him an affectionate hug. Record winner in Malaysia (he won the race in 2000, 2001 and 2004), Schumacher said he has "the support of the Malaysian people" to get a good result at Sepang circuit.

http://translate.goo...e...ev=_t&twu=1

#9154 TheMortalBard

TheMortalBard

• 98 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:18

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Hilarious !

#9155 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,176 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:44

I've seen worse. I've seen people sporting Mike Tyson face tatoos in real life.

#9156 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 14:27

That looks so much like Frans it's got to be him.

#9157 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 14:36

That looks so much like Frans it's got to be him.

Indeed. :rotfl:

#9158 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 14:57

What we have Frans-conversion completed? I know that he is yearning for it last decade, but never had courage to come out clean with us.

#9159 baggio10

baggio10

• 60 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 17:23

schumachers turn to tell the bbc his top 5 races
http://www.bbc.co.uk...classic_f1.html
some nice answers :)

Really impressed with Michael's choices. He had some memorable races in the past and yet his picks were not just about himself. The way he talked about his competitors and specially Mika and his Spa 2000 pass shows humility and class.

Advertisement

#9160 topical

topical

• 2,263 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 18:08

Really impressed with Michael's choices. He had some memorable races in the past and yet his picks were not just about himself. The way he talked about his competitors and specially Mika and his Spa 2000 pass shows humility and class.

I'm not a MS fan at all but also found his choices impressive - a mixture of some of his best races and some of the best races he was involved in even if he didn't come out the winner. Much less egotistical than Vettel's me-me-me choices the week before. Probably just comes with age.

#9161 Ruf

Ruf

• 1,279 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 19:54

I'm impressed. I'm speachless. Frans, how long did it take to make all those tatoos? Such dedication...

#9162 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,519 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 20:33

A very interesting article from the Independent. Taken from the Official Ferrari Opus.

Thanks for the read--the excerpts especially highlight some of the reasons I've been a fan of Schumacher since I started watching F1. :up:

#9163 SchuOz

SchuOz

• 1,655 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:01

Posted Image

#9164 FigJam

FigJam

• 2,034 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:15

I'm not a MS fan at all but also found his choices impressive - a mixture of some of his best races and some of the best races he was involved in even if he didn't come out the winner. Much less egotistical than Vettel's me-me-me choices the week before. Probably just comes with age.

I thought his responses were pretty good...but I'll never see the big deal about Hakkinens pass at Spa 2000.

There have been far better passes made on Schumacher, he just always seems to have a soft spot for Mika. That much shines through in every interview.

#9165 topical

topical

• 2,263 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:20

I thought his responses were pretty good...but I'll never see the big deal about Hakkinens pass at Spa 2000.

There have been far better passes made on Schumacher, he just always seems to have a soft spot for Mika. That much shines through in every interview.

You're right that he has a bit of a soft spot for Mika, probably for two reasons, 1. he was his main rival during his most interesting years i.e. the challenge of building up Ferrari and finally winning the title with them. 2. Schumacher knows that in any head to head evaluation with Hakkinen even those sympathetic to Mika (like me) will admit that Schumacher had a slight edge (Suzuka 2000 sums up everything - both lightening fast, miles ahead of their teammates, but Schumacher's brilliance at adapting to changing conditions made the difference). So it makes sense that he continues to look on that as the main rivalry in his career rather than, say, the one with Alonso.

But as for Mika's pass at Spa - come on, it was pretty special simply for the risk factor. Ironically it was Zonta who made it all possible. It would have been normal for him to pull right over to the right side of the track, but by staying in the middle he made it possible for Schumacher to duck one side and Mika the other. Had Zonta just jinked either to the left or the right at that point there would have been a horrendous accident. Plus you can tell that Schumacher never expected Mika to do what he did - I doubt that even Mika planned it, it was just a split second decision. So it was the spontaneity combined with the risk factor, plus the fact that it happened at such a great track as Spa rather than, say, Bahrain, that made it so memorable.

Edited by topical, 07 April 2011 - 07:21.

#9166 FigJam

FigJam

• 2,034 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:43

But as for Mika's pass at Spa - come on, it was pretty special simply for the risk factor. Ironically it was Zonta who made it all possible. It would have been normal for him to pull right over to the right side of the track, but by staying in the middle he made it possible for Schumacher to duck one side and Mika the other. Had Zonta just jinked either to the left or the right at that point there would have been a horrendous accident. Plus you can tell that Schumacher never expected Mika to do what he did - I doubt that even Mika planned it, it was just a split second decision. So it was the spontaneity combined with the risk factor, plus the fact that it happened at such a great track as Spa rather than, say, Bahrain, that made it so memorable.

It was a top pass, no question. However it wouldn't even rank in my top 10 passes in history (from what I've seen over the years), it was drummed up spectacularly at the time because it was smack bang in the middle of their title fight.

The pass Villeneuve pulled at Estoril in 1996 on Schumacher is superior, for both style and textbook precision. Then...in terms of context (sometimes it is very relative) the pass JV also pulled on MS to ultimately win the WDC one year later is something Michael will never, ever forget....it led to him having a brain explosion. Put it this way, apart from JV, no one has ever come from behind and passed MS to win a championship battle. IMO thats huge in itself....alas you will never get MS praising Villeneuve in the same light, he outfoxed and beat MS in a way Hakkinen simply didn't do.

Then there is DC in Magny Cours 2000, Montoya at Brazil 2001....I just believe MS tends to praise MH more than any other driver, moreso because they always maintained a decent relationship. There wasn't many times MH would be sounded out in the press, berating Michael for something or other. Schumacher would think very highly of that, unlike the others.

Edited by FigJam, 07 April 2011 - 09:07.

#9167 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,784 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:47

JV almost lost the championship in a far superior Williams
that car should have had the title wrapped up with races to spare.

#9168 FigJam

FigJam

• 2,034 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:10

Rubbish....it wasn't FAR superior, but it was the best package over the whole season.

Hakkinen almost blew 1999 in the best package...against Irvine.

Is that not the same or worse? Also had the best package in 1998, exactly like Villeneuve in 1997.

#9169 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:19

So it makes sense that he continues to look on that as the main rivalry in his career rather than, say, the one with Alonso.

Or perhaps because he rated and still rates Mika higher than any other rival he faced in his career at Ferrari, Alonso and Villeneuve included. Could be as simple as that, really.

#9170 FigJam

FigJam

• 2,034 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:29

It could be that...or maybe not. Hard to know any other way...

However I'd be seriously surprised if MS really thought the Spa 2000 pass from Hakkinen was the best ever executed on him.

#9171 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:40

I think that particular pass took him by surprise as he certainly wouldn't have expected MH to pass him there, not with a backmarker in the way. Probably why he remembers it so well!

#9172 Ruf

Ruf

• 1,279 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:04

However I'd be seriously surprised if MS really thought the Spa 2000 pass from Hakkinen was the best ever executed on him.

Maybe. Maybe not. Who cares however, not that was the question that was asked. The question was "what are your top 5 favorite races".

#9173 topical

topical

• 2,263 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:43

It was a top pass, no question. However it wouldn't even rank in my top 10 passes in history (from what I've seen over the years), it was drummed up spectacularly at the time because it was smack bang in the middle of their title fight.

I don't agree with you on Villeneuve who, as others said, really should have wrapped up the title much sooner with that Williams (yes, as Hakkinen also should have in 1999) but you may well be right on the point above. But that's just life, isn't it? If Trulli makes an amazing pass on, say, Kovaleinen for 17th place in the middle of a season, it might get a few comments but a week later no one's talking about. The media and most fans mostly focus on the leaders and title fights. Hence that pass in Spa has become legendary, just like Senna and Mansell's wheel-to-wheel in Spain 1991,whereas plenty of other equally impressive passes or wheel-to-wheel battles simply disappear into history. A bit unfortunate, but there you go.

Edited by topical, 07 April 2011 - 10:44.

#9174 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:55

Michael went to see the Malaysian track on roller blades! :)

Posted Image
Posted Image
http://www.daylife.c...hael schumacher

Edited by merschu, 07 April 2011 - 10:57.

#9175 EdwardCullen

EdwardCullen

• 763 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:15

wow thats cool

#9176 dde

dde

• 800 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:17

I think that particular pass took him by surprise as he certainly wouldn't have expected MH to pass him there, not with a backmarker in the way. Probably why he remembers it so well!

And also because it was the most important pass he endured in a battle for the championship. It was not only a race, it was the continuity of a bad summer, he'd just lost the leadership, and the so wanted title was really getting away at that moment. It was a terrif pass in a dramatic moment. All that together just makes more impression than anything else can do.

#9177 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,858 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:42

IMO that's exactly why it was such a risk for both, and required the largest of large balls. DNF's are expensive.

#9178 FigJam

FigJam

• 2,034 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 13:42

True...I can't argue with that, in fact I agree completely.

More the actual pass in itself, in terms of difficulty, technique and execution...just don't rate it highly. For context though, yes it was a spectacular pass at a crucial stage.

#9179 SchumiP1

SchumiP1

• 92 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 16:17

So Schumacher expects the race to be a lottery. He didn't get much wet running during winter testing, so hopefully it'll be pooring down starting with FP1.
A lottery and a repeat of the race exactly ten years ago. Please! :clap:

Advertisement

#9180 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,784 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 16:36

5 you mean?

#9181 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 737 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 17:10

Is he on the full wets, or the inters?

#9182 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 19:31

Is he on the full wets, or the inters?

Posted Image

Michael actually was on dry hard tyres and managed to finish the lap on them when it was raining! Thus showing some old Schumi magic of being able to drive in wet conditions on dry tyres! :)

Edited by merschu, 07 April 2011 - 19:34.

#9183 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 19:53

Posted Image
Posted Image

Nah, flaps up, and he will soon overtake Webber who is still trying to finish the Oz-race prior next one starts.

Edited by Sakae, 07 April 2011 - 19:54.

#9184 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 19:56

Rollerblading. In the rain. At 42. :smoking:

I hope he gets his notes right!

#9185 dav115

dav115

• 720 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 20:51

I don't agree with you on Villeneuve who, as others said, really should have wrapped up the title much sooner with that Williams (yes, as Hakkinen also should have in 1999) but you may well be right on the point above. But that's just life, isn't it? If Trulli makes an amazing pass on, say, Kovaleinen for 17th place in the middle of a season, it might get a few comments but a week later no one's talking about. The media and most fans mostly focus on the leaders and title fights. Hence that pass in Spa has become legendary, just like Senna and Mansell's wheel-to-wheel in Spain 1991,whereas plenty of other equally impressive passes or wheel-to-wheel battles simply disappear into history. A bit unfortunate, but there you go.

Case in point, .

#9186 Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot

• 20 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 21:35

Where can I find that hat he is wearing?

#9187 bsoares

bsoares

• 75 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 21:46

https://www.ms-paddo...n=shop.produkte

#9188 Sof1

Sof1

• 606 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:29

Is Schumi really doing well in FP 1&2 or am I dreaming (i jut woke up :p )?

#9189 exmayol

exmayol

• 554 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:38

FP does not mean much but it's surely nice seeing his name in the top 5.

#9190 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:43

Is Schumi really doing well in FP 1&2 or am I dreaming (i jut woke up :p )?

You are dreaming. Go back to sleep. :rotfl:

#9191 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:10

http://www.motorspor.../...6815&sort=1
http://www.motorspor.../...;d=2&sort=1
http://www.motorspor...,60,8021,318534
http://www.xpb.cc/vi...e.asp?id=425016
Posted Image
MS: OK ,where is this Frans guy?

Edited by ivand911, 08 April 2011 - 11:46.

#9192 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,212 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:42

On his head :p

#9193 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,458 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:27

Just about the pass JV made on Schumacher on the outside at Estoril in 1996 I think it was one of the best I have ever seen. Even more so because no other F1 driver would have thought it possible going on the outside. JV was really good back then.

Also seeing the start of this season - I think Schumacher has lost the edge. It is time to retire.

#9194 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,246 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:12

+

brilliant start again
he beats Rosberg by far
ha can overtake somehow di Resta in the last laps

-

car is a ***
Merc race tactic too...

#9195 baddog

baddog

• 23,581 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:52

Just about the pass JV made on Schumacher on the outside at Estoril in 1996 I think it was one of the best I have ever seen. Even more so because no other F1 driver would have thought it possible going on the outside. JV was really good back then.

Also seeing the start of this season - I think Schumacher has lost the edge. It is time to retire.

So after this race I presume a lot of other drivers need to retire too, including especially Nico..

Not. :drunk:

#9196 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:19

If age was bogging him down so much how come he's so quick off the line and still maintains his trademark corner entry technique (as someone from MGP remarked last year)? You need to be able to judge throttle and traction perfectly for a good start, he's been making demon starts these two years, his reflexes have hardly dulled and physically he's superfit to carry so much speed into the corners.

Edited by BRK, 10 April 2011 - 11:19.

#9197 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,329 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:57

I think Schumacher has lost the edge.

He was beaten by Rosberg last year. He's never been beaten by a team-mate during the course of an entire season.

Ever.

So duh.

#9198 Boo

Boo

• 21 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 13:10

Hello everybody, haven't been here for quite a while - nice to see Shumi overtaking somebody at the last laps of the race, even if it's just for 9th place, and even if it wasn't show on the telly since it's not top-places battle...

Anybody knows what is M Schumacher's salary for years 2010, 2011, 2012 - he has 3-year contract, right?

Thanks!

#9199 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 13:13

Hello everybody, haven't been here for quite a while - nice to see Shumi overtaking somebody at the last laps of the race, even if it's just for 9th place, and even if it wasn't show on the telly since it's not top-places battle...

Anybody knows what is M Schumacher's salary for years 2010, 2011, 2012 - he has 3-year contract, right?

Thanks!

8 million euro per year from the team. Plus money from personal sponsors.

Advertisement

#9200 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 13:16

He was beaten by Rosberg last year. He's never been beaten by a team-mate during the course of an entire season.

Ever.

So duh.

He's never had a three-year break from racing before returning, either.