Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#9201 salamin

salamin

• 1,692 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 13:18

and bonuses for each point *(up to 20 mill euro)

Advertisement

#9202 topical

topical

• 2,086 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 13:19

Another poor race for the Michael. How much longer can it go on? What odds a second year in a row without a single podium?

Edited by topical, 10 April 2011 - 13:20.

#9203 salamin

salamin

• 1,692 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 13:22

Another poor race for the Michael. How much longer can it go on? What odds a second year in a row without a single podium?

well he outperformed Britney, which is a good sign even if the weekend was shitty for merc

#9204 schufan

schufan

• 72 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 13:25

It was a decent performance.maybe without the wrong strategy decision he could have gained a place or two.But he seems to have extracted the maximum from the car today.

#9205 topical

topical

• 2,086 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 14:23

well he outperformed Britney, which is a good sign even if the weekend was shitty for merc

Who's Britney?

I think most worrying for MS and all concerned is simply how poor the Merc is. They are obviously lacking the right personnel to make a top car, albeit they got lucky once in 2009.

#9206 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,739 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 14:26

Did you actually watch the race? His drive was not poor at all

#9207 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,450 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 14:43

what I meant was that last year was a comeback year and he had a tough time - ok. the start of this season doesn't seem to be that much better. even if the Merc is bad I think the old Schumacher would have done better. He has to improve before midseason or Merc would be better off with another driver.

#9208 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,982 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 14:49

what I meant was that last year was a comeback year and he had a tough time - ok. the start of this season doesn't seem to be that much better. even if the Merc is bad I think the old Schumacher would have done better. He has to improve before midseason or Merc would be better off with another driver.

Why another driver?

MS outperformed Nico today and all throughout practise sessions bar Q2.

By your logic, Nico should be replaced. :rolleyes:

If anything, if the team doesn't begin to start showing signs of improvement from the second half onwards, both drivers should seriously reconsider their futures at Tyrell...uh I mean...BAR....oops I meant Honda? Or is it Brawn? Mercedes?

They had a head start development over the rest of the field last year and they've still managed to go backwards relative to Renault, Ferrari and co.....

#9209 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 14:52

I think that we need to consider his car too. From top 6 car to get P9 is not bad. If he drive top 3 car , I would agree with you. But,this is not the case. He drove well today. 2011 will be another development year for the team.

Edited by ivand911, 10 April 2011 - 14:53.

#9210 Scotracer

Scotracer

• 2,692 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 14:55

A solid drive from Michael - not helped by his excursion off the circuit that effectively cost him possibly 7th place (extra crucial points are all we can hope for really).

I give Merc until Silverstone, a race I shall be attending, to improve or I'm going to have to give up on them - Michael or no Michael.

#9211 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 14:56

Every year is a "development year" or a "we'll start on next year's car early" with the titan that is Honda/Mercedes.

#9212 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 15:21

how was it a poor race for michael? it was a poor race for merc theres not much anyone can do in this car

#9213 Levike

Levike

• 1,036 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 15:23

If we assume that Nico is a top quality driver, then Michael's performance was simply superb today.

I'm afraid, that the cars is a dog, like last year's.

#9214 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,323 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 15:49

Blah blah. As if anyone else could do better in that car. Who was the top Merecedes today anyway!

I do think Micheal should give up on the team though, but i know its not his style.

#9215 F1 Tor.

F1 Tor.

• 2,832 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 15:56

:rolleyes: try watching the race instead of just the highlights squished between soccer and baseball scores. It would help a lot. Promise. :kiss:

#9216 topical

topical

• 2,086 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 16:25

If we assume that Nico is a top quality driver, then Michael's performance was simply superb today.

I'm afraid, that the cars is a dog, like last year's.

Your first assumption is not justified. Nico is a decent but not a top quality driver.

Your second statement is sadly true. I just wonder will MS bother sticking around for a 3rd year if this is all they can offer him?

#9217 topical

topical

• 2,086 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 16:28

:rolleyes: try watching the race instead of just the highlights squished between soccer and baseball scores. It would help a lot. Promise. :kiss:

Really? So you think podiums are a realistic target for Schumacher this year? Or you think trundling around for 9th place in a dog of a Mercedes is what he had in mind when he came out of retirement?

#9218 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,450 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 16:32

Why another driver?

MS outperformed Nico today and all throughout practise sessions bar Q2.

By your logic, Nico should be replaced. :rolleyes:

If anything, if the team doesn't begin to start showing signs of improvement from the second half onwards, both drivers should seriously reconsider their futures at Tyrell...uh I mean...BAR....oops I meant Honda? Or is it Brawn? Mercedes?

They had a head start development over the rest of the field last year and they've still managed to go backwards relative to Renault, Ferrari and co.....

So this year he might be faster than Rosberg on occasions (but Rosberg still leads 2-0 in quali) in a car more suited to his style - but as you say - it seems they are going backwards compared with other teams.

What if Michael's input is a part of the Mercedes problem?

I honestly don't know but from a marketing side I can't see Mercedes putting a lot of money into F1 if this goes on for much longer. They will have to do something and get somewhere. Soon!

#9219 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 16:38

I have an honest question. I understand Schumacher's reflexes and hand-eye coordination may not be as good as they used to be in his heyday. But, surely his leaderships skills, developments skills, and all the other skills that made him such an asset should all still be there. We've all heard stories about him ringing up engineers in the middle of the night with questions, motivating them, etc.

Is he not doing any of this stuff anymore?

Advertisement

#9220 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 16:51

What if Michael's input is a part of the Mercedes problem?

Was Button's input the reason they produced such dogs in 2007 and 2008? The same Button whose input was also responsible for the BAR 006 and their excellent 2004 season?

Try to be a bit more sensible.

I have an honest question. I understand Schumacher's reflexes and hand-eye coordination may not be as good as they used to be in his heyday. But, surely his leaderships skills, developments skills, and all the other skills that made him such an asset should all still be there. We've all heard stories about him ringing up engineers in the middle of the night with questions, motivating them, etc.

Maybe he is, how would you know? Are candies and motivational speeches going to help if the core design team is incompetent? Not saying it is, but it wouldn't help if this were the case.

#9221 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,982 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 16:57

He might still be doing that.

However there is a difference between ringing up Rory Byrne and Micky Mercedes at 3am.

If you're not upto it, you just aren't up to it. That's the difference between a good engineer and a GREAT engineer. Same applies in sport or any othrt discipline.

Edited by Ferrari_F1_fan_2001, 10 April 2011 - 16:59.

#9222 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 16:59

Driver is responsible for conveying accurate feedback on his car driveability, and ensuring that engineers do understand his feedback. Resolving problems however cannot be put to Michael's doorsteps, just as reconcilliation of differences between their two drivers.

#9223 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 17:02

Maybe he is, how would you know? Are candies and motivational speeches going to help if the core design team is incompetent? Not saying it is, but it wouldn't help if this were the case.

Would it help if the core design team is already made up of competent geniuses? That's my point.

#9224 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,486 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 17:04

So this year he might be faster than Rosberg on occasions (but Rosberg still leads 2-0 in quali) in a car more suited to his style - but as you say - it seems they are going backwards compared with other teams.

As you know, points (the only measure that counts) are not awarded on Saturday. After two events, Michael leads Nico 2 - 0.

#9225 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,982 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 17:07

Would it help if the core design team is already made up of competent geniuses? That's my point.

There are no geniuses at Mercedes otherwise they would have demonstrated brilliance over and over again. Aside from 2004 and 2009, they've been solid midfield runners much like Sauber.

#9226 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 17:12

It certainly did at Ferrari and Benetton. How many titles did having competent 'geniuses' win Benetton and Ferrari before Schumacher?

#9227 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 17:23

It certainly did at Ferrari and Benetton. How many titles did having competent 'geniuses' win Benetton and Ferrari before Schumacher?

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

I meant, would motivational stuff and leadership skills help in the case of an already competent design team? I would think it would make no difference at all. I imagine such things make more of a difference when the team isn't as great as Rory was.

So you're saying Rory worked harder because of Schumacher?

Edited by boldhakka, 10 April 2011 - 17:24.

#9228 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,239 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 17:25

Just maybe that was all over hyped, but back in the day there was almost no test limit and Ferrari could spend all day lapping their own test track messing about with setups and different solutions.

#9229 Polle

Polle

• 292 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 17:34

Well Schumacher managed to salvage to what is a mess of a car, so I guess its not the end of the world, though I really wished the car had more race pace. You really know the car is terrible when Nico wis fighting with the STR's with a Lotus less than half a second behind them.....

#9230 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 17:44

Schumacher's opening laps and starts since 2010 have largely been consistently great entertiainment, I know he's won loads of gps, but I've never seen him so consistently great in the opening laps, something new and improved from him in this era, until the car gets better, I don't think there's any better driver who's committed to maximising his starts in the way he's done, not always perfect, but he's done the business more often then others.

Opening laps are not easy, so many cars, so much confusion, races are won and lost in it, it takes a very calculated driver who is thinking on many levels, yet not plaiying iit safe.

:smoking: :up:

Edited by SeanValen, 10 April 2011 - 17:46.

#9231 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 17:48

I meant, would motivational stuff and leadership skills help in the case of an already competent design team? I would think it would make no difference at all.

I would think it would make a difference. Good cars don't win championships by themselves and would need the efforts of a brilliant driver to keep the team focused, to lead by example (as for instance by your work ethic), and to motivate when things aren't going well. All of this would make a big difference during in-season and post-season development and overall morale of the team. Lack of morale also results in shabby pitstops, appalling strategies, poor cohesion, infighting....and so on. All of which would destroy a title challenge no matter how well-designed a car is.

I imagine such things make more of a difference when the team isn't as great as Rory was.

So you're saying Rory worked harder because of Schumacher?

Why not? If you know your efforts are going to be rewarded as your driver is one that could extract maximum potential out of it and will not let it all go waste, of course you are going to strive harder. As I said, Byrne's cars never won a single title and his cars achieved little in five years at Benetton until Schumacher arrived on the scene. Newey's genius didn't win them anything until Vettel arrived at Red Bull...and so on. Perhaps Mercedes' resurgence late last year wasn't a fluke..

Besides, without Schumacher there never would have been any competent geniuses drawn to the same team to design title winning cars. It was his presence that drew talent into the team.

#9232 Fabs

Fabs

• 247 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 17:55

LOL!

When Ferrari was absolutely dominant and Schumacher was winning all the time, some would say: "Yeah, he is winning but his car is the best by far and many other drivers could win in this situation"

And Schumacher nuthuggers would reply: "He has merits in having the best car. His imput, his motivation, his leadership skills are all responsible for Ferrari's success"

Now that Mercedes sucks.. nuthuggers say: "There is nothing he can do if the crew or the engineers are not competent enough. Schumacher is not an engineer or ar designer. He is just a driver. If the car is flawed, it is not his fault"

So let me see if I got that right: When Schumacher drives a dominant car, he gets all the merit for being a hardworker/developer/leader whose skills pushed the team to the limit.

When Schumacher drives a shady car for a couple of years with no improvement, he gets a free pass because there is nothing he can do about it and he doesn't share the blame with the team crew who are not competent enough.

So the great Schumacher who brought Ferrari from bottom to top with his personal leadership skills myth is BUSTED. Ferrari went from bottom to top because they had the money to bring the right personel. Schumacher was just a fast driver who happened to get this car. Just like Kimi, Massa or Alonso.

Edited by Fabs, 10 April 2011 - 17:57.

#9233 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 17:59

So let me see if I got that right: When Schumacher drives a dominant car, he gets all the merit for being a hardworker/developer/leader whose skills pushed the team to the limit.

Perhaps shorter explanation could be, that he has correctly interpreted what vehicle does under different condition, and he was debriefed by people who knew how to work with that information. It actually could be as simple as that.

#9234 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,457 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 18:55

Please cut out the trolling and flamebaiting.

#9235 Eff1NZ

Eff1NZ

• 119 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 18:59

I think that we need to consider his car too. From top 6 car to get P9 is not bad. If he drive top 3 car , I would agree with you. But,this is not the case. He drove well today. 2011 will be another development year for the team.

I think what Fender was saying is that MS in no longer that driver who, by virtue of being on a team, simply elevates the performance of the team beyond that of a "good" driver. And that Mercedes should be looking for a driver who has that special spark.

No doubt MS used to be one of those. No more.

Problem is, there can be no guarantee that those types of drivers are around at any given time. The talent reveals itself in the very early stages of their career, reaches a plateau quickly, sustains itself for a period, and then declines. They are a once-in-a-generation type of talent. And, obviously, as I said, it's a talent that dissipates over time. It happened to all the great ones who had the "it" factor (if they lived long enough for people to witness it). It's not just pure speed. There have been a lot more of those. Its something a little extra.

People are going to have their own opinions about who of the current bunch have those qualities. Personally, I see only one of those (at this particular time) who is demonstrably of that type out there. Possibly two; although in this latter case, because of the team, it's hard to tell if the driver has that talent. Both are taken and firmly ensconced in their respective teams.

So while I kinda agree with Fender, what is MBZ to do? They can try to get someone who is almost of that type, but he also is taken. And unfortunately the team is just not of the stature to be exceptional without having that superstar to drive it (unless you happen upon an unintended loophole in the regulations; a temporary and unsustainable advantage). Brawn is a manager and a steady presence, not a brilliant designer.

It's hard for this discussion to go forward in a meaningful way, because of the immaturity of many of the posters who fix on a favorite or disliked driver/team and are just incapable of taking a balanced or dispassionate view of things. There are plenty those mature observers here, but they seem to get swallowed up by the chaff.

#9236 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 19:10

Who have this special spark? Do you see what mess did today Alonso and Lewis? We can judge Michael in good car ,like every other driver. We have seen recent "strongest" driver when they don't have strong car. What you expect Michael to do with 6th strongest car? Michael have very clean drive today, with not easy car to drive. He have solid performance, he get in the points. Many battles with drivers in superior cars( or better performing at that moment).

Edited by ivand911, 10 April 2011 - 19:16.

#9237 eriknaa

eriknaa

• 34 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 19:29

Michael really did a great job with what he had today. A great start and first lap, where he actually was up battling with the Ferraris.
But it is very clear that Merc dont have the pace to challenge at the front, but when they have the car Michael will be competitive again.
Finishing 9th as the highest, just shows that much improvment is neeeded on the MGP W 02, but atleast Michael had the upper hand the whole weekend inside the them.

#9238 Fortymark

Fortymark

• 5,789 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 20:06

Everyone is saying Schumacher did a great race, just because he finished ahead of Rosberg..
He did a great start, that´s a fact but apart from that there´s not much impressing.

Look at the Renaults, both of them did great starts too and Heidfeld made it to the podium.
I don´t think the Mercedes is that far away from the speed of the Renos. Heidfeld was like
0,2 quicker tha Rosberg during qualifying and Petrov was equally as quick as Rosberg.

Koba was slower in qualifying but beat both Mercedes. Schumacher and Rosberg was fighting
with the STR and Force-Indias whom was about 1 second slower than the Merc in qualifying..

I´ve looked at the laptimes and I´m afraid that Rosberg was the faster one in free air.

#9239 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,739 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 20:08

I don´t think the Mercedes is that far away from the speed of the Renos.

that's your problem

Rosberg was clearly faster this weekend. Does anyone actually doubt that?

Advertisement

#9240 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 20:24

Forty there is one lap pace and race pace. You don't see the difference I guess? MGP car is little bit better(not much) in one lap pace(speed), where they are tragic on race pace. So what you show in Qualy have nothing to do with the race. It have something to do with starting position only.

#9241 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,739 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 20:25

Forty there is one lap pace and race pace. You don't see the difference I guess? MGP car is little bit better(not much) in one lap pace(speed), where they are tragic on race pace. So what you show in Qualy have nothing to do with the race. It have something to do with starting position only.

and the MGP is better on one lap pace WHEN everything goes right

hasn't happened yet :)

#9242 dde

dde

• 800 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 20:26

I´ve looked at the laptimes and I´m afraid that Rosberg was the faster one in free air.

Well, don't be too afraid, you saw it wrong. Rosberg was faster not in free air, but at the beginnings of the runs. And much much slower at the end of the runs, that is why the gap between MS and NR kept on growing during the race. As Schumacher said, he was managing his tyres, Rosberg didn't seem to believe it was worthfull to do it.

Anyway, it's useless to compare them at this race, and it is useless to compare them in qual here or in Melbourne. The one who gets the first pb with the cars is the one who doesn't get the point. Pretty much stupid contest in my view.

0-0 sor far this year, in reality.

#9243 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,739 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 20:28

why is is useless to compare them at this race?

no technical issues for both, no incidents for both, one started in front and ended up behind
what would it take for a race to be worth using for comparison?

#9244 EdwardCullen

EdwardCullen

• 763 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 20:33

Everyone is saying Schumacher did a great race, just because he finished ahead of Rosberg..
He did a great start, that´s a fact but apart from that there´s not much impressing.

Look at the Renaults, both of them did great starts too and Heidfeld made it to the podium.
I don´t think the Mercedes is that far away from the speed of the Renos. Heidfeld was like
0,2 quicker tha Rosberg during qualifying and Petrov was equally as quick as Rosberg.

Koba was slower in qualifying but beat both Mercedes. Schumacher and Rosberg was fighting
with the STR and Force-Indias whom was about 1 second slower than the Merc in qualifying..

thats because Merc's one lap speed is superior, but their race pace utter crap!
You are a regular follower of f1, but u dont know this basic distinction? but if this was just trolling plz ignore what i said

yeah plz post those laptimes here,
BTW did you get those times from www.ihateschumy.com by any chance? :lol:

#9245 dde

dde

• 800 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 20:34

why is is useless to compare them at this race?

no technical issues for both, no incidents for both, one started in front and ended up behind
what would it take for a race to be worth using for comparison?

On french TV they said Rosberg had a kers problem (but they justified anytime Schumacher is in front by a likely probleme to Nico's car, while they seems quite happy to say Schumacher is too old when he is the one to have a pb, like staurday). But anyway, specifc problem or not, and beyond what I said about the beginnings and the ends of runs, did you see how erratic were the lap times of both drivers ? They have no consistancy at all. You can't compare nothing with such a crap car, that falls apart too often, and doesn't function consistanly even when it happens that in a particular lap or serie of laps, everything is "all right ".

#9246 EdwardCullen

EdwardCullen

• 763 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 20:38

On french TV they said Rosberg had a kers problem (but they justified anytime Schumacher is in front by a likely probleme to Nico's car, while they seems quite happy to say Schumacher is too old when he is the one to have a pb, like staurday). But anyway, specifc problem or not, and beyond what I said about the beginnings and the ends of runs, did you see how erratic were the lap times of both drivers ? They have no consistancy at all. You can't compare nothing with such a crap car, that falls apart too often, and doesn't function consistanly even when it happens that in a particular lap or serie of laps, everything is "all right ".

Official Merc press release dosenot state any problem from Nico's car....especially Nico would have said it loud if there was a problem ( as he was beaten by Schumy today)
merc press release
the only problem they had is in quly with DRS
that too it hindered Schumy in Q2

Edited by EdwardCullen, 10 April 2011 - 20:39.

#9247 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,982 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 20:51

The simple fact is that the Mercs aren't quick and they have a highee tyre wear rate relative their competitors.

In the end it wouldnt matter if they blitzed the field in qualifying, come race day they would be sitting ducks.

#9248 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 641 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:23

This is getting very frustrating now. Normally, driver mistakes should be taken as they come, but seeing how favorable the circumstances were for a comfortable top 10 classification, with the car finally working more or less ok, it's just very frustrating.

I'm sure Michael feels the same, one can only hope his outlook is more positive. The thought that, once again, there's not much to get out of this weekend is getting to me.

#9249 topical

topical

• 2,086 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:24

For the 21st time since his comeback: time to retire. He was great in his day but it's just not there any more.

Edited by topical, 16 April 2011 - 07:24.

#9250 Sof1

Sof1

• 596 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:38

Sadly, i am feeling that MS has lost some of his edge, especially in quali.