Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#9301 sharo

sharo

• 1,767 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 17:49

People on here have a habit of going OTT when Schumacher does badly. When he does well everything goes quiet.

Seems to me that people are just looking for an excuse to hate.....

Yes, Mark Webber didn't manage even into Q2 and yet no one doubts he had issues with his car. Some try to find a conspiracy against him by his team. But no one says he can't drive anymore, getting old, must leave and so on.

Advertisement

#9302 vovelo

vovelo

• 87 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 17:52

A shame his second career wasn't a marketing game as his first one.

yeah, it was very good marketing game for first career :rotfl:
to be in 92' WDC standing in front of famous A.Senna after first compete season in F1 with first f1 victory on board . it's just marketing nothing else :rotfl:
Some TV-channels are still waiting you as "F1-experte" :rotfl:

Edited by vovelo, 16 April 2011 - 18:40.

#9303 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 730 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 17:54

WTF does Villeneuve have to do with anything? He won one title and a handful of races. He lucked one in at time when there was no competition. The rest of his career was garbage. You can't mention Villeneuve and Schumacher in the same breath.

#9304 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,285 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 17:56

A shame his second career wasn't a marketing game as his first one.

:rotfl: pathetic He won 7 Championships deal with it.

#9305 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 18:55

There seems to be something very wrong in here as I thought I saw what looked like a couple of trolls arguing with each other on my way down. :confused: Shouldn't you guys be bashing Schumacher or something?

Anyway. On Villeneuve's 'comeback' performances: I would say a driver that was such an utter failure even in his first career in a dog of a car - would set new lows for driving standards if he, like Michael, returned to drive a dog of a car way past his prime. Plain and simple.

#9306 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 19:01

yeah, it was very good marketing game for first career :rotfl:
to be in 92' WDC standing in front of famous A.Senna after first compete season in F1 with first f1 victory on board . it's just marketing nothing else :rotfl:
Some TV-channels are still waiting you as "F1-experte" :rotfl:

Well, if he had arrived into F1 in a Minardi he wouldn't have won a GP in 92, so, what's your point? He was driving a car capable of stealing the odd race at that point, and he duly delivered....

By now the theory that MS could have won all his Championships regardless of what he would have been driving has been put to rest. I'm not going to say ALL his success is ONLY due to the circumstances around him at the time of his career (I mean, lets get real) but, a lot of his success would not have been possible in other circumstances.

#9307 Tarun

Tarun

• 51 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 19:30

I am a very big fan of Schumi and after today's qualification I have started fearing that will he ever come back :(

He was not the person who use to give excuses but was the one with the lap time, Roseberg almost always over powers him in the qualification, I am disheartened :(

#9308 SEP

SEP

• 148 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 19:44

I will answer your question even though you did not do me the courtesy of answering my question.

If you are asking what would be happening if Schumacher was in the Red Bull along side current champion SV?
Schumacher would be making a dogs breakfast of it just as he is at MB. SV would be spanking him soundly.

Now I ask you again change WDC Villeneuve with Multi WDC Schumacher in the MB for the past season and a bit, with Villeneuve duplicating Schumacher's record , what would the Schumacher fans be making of Villeneuve's comeback performance? If it was Villeneuve in place of Schumacher? Be honest!
:)

sorry, i didnt answer cause it was too obvious. People would say JV was a farse. The most overated driver ever

again, what i meant about MS in a RBR, i was talking about Mark as his teamate, not Vettel! Besides, MS had a "Ferrari number one status", just in case...

Edited by SEP, 16 April 2011 - 20:17.

#9309 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 19:59

I am a very big fan of Schumi and after today's qualification I have started fearing that will he ever come back :(

He was not the person who use to give excuses but was the one with the lap time, Roseberg almost always over powers him in the qualification, I am disheartened :(

Michael was past his best by 2003/4, gradually declining through 2006. Another 5 years was only ever going to work one way. Personally I think he's still plenty good enough for his seat, so as long as he's enjoying it then carry on. It's just a bit sad for those of us who remember the monster of 15 years ago.

#9310 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,771 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 21:54

WTF does Villeneuve have to do with anything? He won one title and a handful of races. He lucked one in at time when there was no competition. The rest of his career was garbage. You can't mention Villeneuve and Schumacher in the same breath.

Oh really? What about an Indy 500 win and CART championship? I'm no big fan of Villenueve, but you'd better check up on your facts before getting your knickers in a twist.

#9311 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,771 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 21:56

Anyway. On Villeneuve's 'comeback' performances: I would say a driver that was such an utter failure even in his first career in a dog of a car - would set new lows for driving standards if he, like Michael, returned to drive a dog of a car way past his prime. Plain and simple.

Which first career are you referring to?

#9312 SEP

SEP

• 148 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 22:08

JV and MS are about the same in terms of talent, besides I have seen some people here mentining Schumacher and Senna in the same breath, so there s no limit for "strange" opinions...

#9313 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 1,191 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 22:08

Oh really? What about an Indy 500 win and CART championship? I'm no big fan of Villenueve, but you'd better check up on your facts before getting your knickers in a twist.

Michael Andretti was a very accomplished driver in the US. You have to admit that Villenueve walked into a dominant team and was nowhere when they weren't anywhere.

#9314 baddog

baddog

• 23,236 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 22:17

JV and MS are about the same in terms of talent, besides I have seen some people here mentining Schumacher and Senna in the same breath, so there s no limit for "strange" opinions...

Ah you are one of THOSE. thanks for the heads-up

JV has plenty of bravery and decent speed, and thinks on his feet. Always did. He has never actually shown that he is in the very top rank though, I mean Indy and CART? Is anyone seriously suggesting that any top F1 driver could not win in those tier 2 categories?

Schumacher and Senna are mentioned in the same breath, along with all the other truly great drivers, by a huge variety of people. This is because they belong in the same breath.

#9315 dav115

dav115

• 715 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 22:58

To be fair, from our German friends on this board it sounds like in his RTL interview straight after qualy he was more than happy to admit to making a mistake himself, HOWEVER following the debriefing after qualy they obviously saw data indicating a DRS failure in turn 14 on his final Q2 run. I don't believe he would admit straight away to making a mistake himself and then change the story to a DRS failure for no reason a couple of hours later, unless new evidence supporting the latter reason came to light.

Edited by dav115, 16 April 2011 - 23:40.

#9316 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,716 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 23:39

JV and MS are about the same in terms of talent

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
what on earth are you on dude?

#9317 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,448 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 23:42

I'd say JV was far more talented than MS. The thing is that talented people don't care as much as not so talented people. The not so talented do a lot more of training, testing, trying to find the edge in all the other ways - and that is where MS used to be successful. MS was never as talented as drivers like JV.

#9318 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 23:43

Michael misses traction control, simple.

#9319 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 23:44

I'd say JV was far more talented than MS. The thing is that talented people don't care as much as not so talented people. The not so talented do a lot more of training, testing, trying to find the edge in all the other ways - and that is where MS used to be successful. MS was never as talented as drivers like JV.

That's a bit unfair, i'd say Naturally talented, rather than soley talented.

Advertisement

#9320 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,716 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 23:45

so if you win you are not talented because you worked hard but if you're sh!t it's because you're talented and you don't care?

come on..jacques was a decent driver but that's about it. nothing extra special in him. his career results prove that.
people forget he almost managed to lose the 1997 title in a dominant wiliams

#9321 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,448 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 23:46

Yes it might be unfair. Schumacher had a lot of talent, but his main talent was his will to win at any cost. JV had loads of talent and was lazy.

#9322 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,448 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 23:49

I am talking natural TALENT. Not results. JV wrapped up the CART-championship when it was almost as competetive as F1, won the Indy500 and put his Williams on pole in his first try and won the WDC the year after. That is natural talent. Then he got lazy.

Schumacher's "talent" was training, training and training. This is very common in the world of sports. The most talented don't have to fight as hard so when they reach a lot of competition they might not get the results that people who have learned how to work hard do.

#9323 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 23:54

Kimi Raikkonen.

#9324 baddog

baddog

• 23,236 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 23:59

I am talking natural TALENT. Not results. JV wrapped up the CART-championship when it was almost as competetive as F1, won the Indy500 and put his Williams on pole in his first try and won the WDC the year after. That is natural talent. Then he got lazy.

Oh of course, and who did he beat to win that CART champ and Indy? CART was never at F1 standards, even in its actual glory days (10-5 years before Jacques)

As for Williams, it is very very hard to judge a driver who walked into the best car on the grid, with acres of pre-season testing, alongside a solid but unspectacular driver. Only Hamilton ever got such a start in F1, and he had a much better teammate.

Jacques WAS a gifted driver, and may have been capable of being fantastic, but nothing in his career really proves that.

#9325 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 00:02

JV had talent, not spectacular talent but he was solid enough to win a couple more championships had he made smarter business decisions.

#9326 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,448 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 00:06

CART around 94-95 was more competetive than F1. I know this is difficult to understand since most of you grew up watching F1 races where you had to sit in a Ferrari or a McLaren to win and watched 4 drivers - sorry - 1 driver from Ferrari and 1 driver from McLaren fighting it out who was the greatest driver in the world.

#9327 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 00:10

CART around 94-95 was more competetive than F1. I know this is difficult to understand since most of you grew up watching F1 races where you had to sit in a Ferrari or a McLaren to win and watched 4 drivers - sorry - 1 driver from Ferrari and 1 driver from McLaren fighting it out who was the greatest driver in the world.

Oh comeon, CART was where old timers went to retire. Even Mario Andretti was racing CARTs in 94 :)

#9328 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 00:11

JV had talent, not spectacular talent but he was solid enough to win a couple more championships had he made smarter business decisions.

He was naturally gifted, and ruined his career with a move to BAR, and ruined it futher by not realising this and moving to another team. Had JV found himself at McLaren instead of lets say DC, who knows what would have happened. I try not to take much away from Michael, but he did love his traction control. All he had to do was get the nose in (characteristic he liked) and stomp on it and traction control would do the rest. I think that is one of his main issues at the moment and had he never retired I think the transition from traction control to no traction control in 2008 would have helped him rather than going from higher revving engines, grooved tyres and buckets of traction control, to narrower fronts, slicks, no traction control, and different aero philosophy all around.

#9329 dav115

dav115

• 715 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 00:21

He was naturally gifted, and ruined his career with a move to BAR, and ruined it futher by not realising this and moving to another team. Had JV found himself at McLaren instead of lets say DC, who knows what would have happened. I try not to take much away from Michael, but he did love his traction control. All he had to do was get the nose in (characteristic he liked) and stomp on it and traction control would do the rest. I think that is one of his main issues at the moment and had he never retired I think the transition from traction control to no traction control in 2008 would have helped him rather than going from higher revving engines, grooved tyres and buckets of traction control, to narrower fronts, slicks, no traction control, and different aero philosophy all around.

He raced without TC from 91-mid 93, and 94-mid 2001. Never seemed to have any problems then. Not to mention his stunning starts during the past year made without TC.

#9330 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,771 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 00:50

Oh of course, and who did he beat to win that CART champ and Indy? CART was never at F1 standards, even in its actual glory days (10-5 years before Jacques)

As for Williams, it is very very hard to judge a driver who walked into the best car on the grid, with acres of pre-season testing, alongside a solid but unspectacular driver. Only Hamilton ever got such a start in F1, and he had a much better teammate.

Jacques WAS a gifted driver, and may have been capable of being fantastic, but nothing in his career really proves that.

What? Are you serious? CART was never at F1 standards? Please, learn a bit more about the history of CART and its drivers before you post something of which you know little about.
'Nothing in Jacques career proves that'....spoken like a true MS fanboy.....

#9331 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,771 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 00:51

Oh comeon, CART was where old timers went to retire. Even Mario Andretti was racing CARTs in 94 :)

Yep, and that's where the 1992 WDC went to compete in 1993......... :rolleyes:

#9332 baddog

baddog

• 23,236 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 00:54

Hilarious. There are local club saloon races that are 'more competitive' than F1, because less is required in order to be able to compete. Just like CART compared to F1. It never was equivalent in QUALITY, and was past its peak by 94-5.

#9333 baddog

baddog

• 23,236 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 00:59

What? Are you serious? CART was never at F1 standards? Please, learn a bit more about the history of CART and its drivers before you post something of which you know little about.
'Nothing in Jacques career proves that'....spoken like a true MS fanboy.....

I'm sorry, nothing in Jacques career proves that he was more than a very gifted (not more gifted than MS, but gifted) driver who took his opportunities and made a lot of them for a time, but ultimately failed to step up past that one WDC in a superb car. (Can you really think that Senna, Schumacher, even Alonso would not have wrapped that one up by 2/3rds of the season??)

I mean is that not enough for his fans? That he got championships in multiple series, that he won races at the highest level? He also has to be (in some special way that makes him 'better') more 'talented' than others?

Well its bullcrap. The old 'Most talented but got beaten by lesser drivers who worked harder' schtick is the same bullshit it always was.. its a way to make yourselves feel better about a letdown from someone you liked because he was 'cool' and you thought cool = gifted because some gifted people were cool.

#9334 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,771 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:16

I'm sorry, nothing in Jacques career proves that he was more than a very gifted (not more gifted than MS, but gifted) driver who took his opportunities and made a lot of them for a time, but ultimately failed to step up past that one WDC in a superb car. (Can you really think that Senna, Schumacher, even Alonso would not have wrapped that one up by 2/3rds of the season??)

I mean is that not enough for his fans? That he got championships in multiple series, that he won races at the highest level? He also has to be (in some special way that makes him 'better') more 'talented' than others?

Well its bullcrap. The old 'Most talented but got beaten by lesser drivers who worked harder' schtick is the same bullshit it always was.. its a way to make yourselves feel better about a letdown from someone you liked because he was 'cool' and you thought cool = gifted because some gifted people were cool.

Where does one begin to respond to a post like this except to say that, ignorance is bliss.....

#9335 baddog

baddog

• 23,236 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:23

Where does one begin to respond to a post like this except to say that, ignorance is bliss.....

Well, its probably all you have got.

At least your other posts make sense now.

#9336 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,771 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:37

Well, its probably all you have got.

At least your other posts make sense now.

I KNEW it was only a matter of a few minutes before you responded...way too easy. The thing of it is, you MS fans refuse to acknowledge that before and after him there were other drivers just as good if not better than he.....and it must hurt...it really must, because I wonder what you will do when he retires for good.....

#9337 baddog

baddog

• 23,236 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:03

I KNEW it was only a matter of a few minutes before you responded...way too easy. The thing of it is, you MS fans refuse to acknowledge that before and after him there were other drivers just as good if not better than he.....and it must hurt...it really must, because I wonder what you will do when he retires for good.....

Ah the old 'Haha I trolled you' routine? You are on form today..

As for hurt? You kid right? There are maybe 12-20 drivers who form the pantheon of F1 gods. MS is one of them in any rational list. I would never ever venture to put them in order. I even think we may see the emergence of 2 new members in the coming few years. So much for that 'point' of yours.

Jacques just isnt one of them. And THAT hurts some people badly, the fact that no matter how they shout the world just doesn't see what they see. Hint: If the rest of the world seems to have a crazy view compared to yours, its likely not the world that is crazy.

When MS retires I will go on as before, since I was a young child in the 70s..I will be watching every race and appreciating skill where I see it. Cant see a sport with Hamilton and Vettel in it getting dull any time soon..

#9338 Dolph

Dolph

• 4,540 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:22

By now the theory that MS could have won all his Championships regardless of what he would have been driving has been put to rest.

1996 or 2005 didn't do it for you?

#9339 Dolph

Dolph

• 4,540 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:24

Michael Andretti and Nigel Mansell beg to differ.

Advertisement

#9340 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:26

1996 or 2005 didn't do it for you?

I said win championships, at least in my dimension MS didn't win the 96, or 05 titles, but hey, I believe in string theory, so, maybe in a parallel universe he did :)

The strangest thing about what you said was 05, which is weird to me as, Schumacher only won the USGP in 05, and we all know why, not really a win, is it?

With the exception of 95, MS won all his Chships in "the car to have" and "the car to have" doesn't necessarily mean the fastest car. and 95 wasn't that far off in any sense, close enough so that his driving would be enough to overcome the car deficit he had against drivers like Hill, and (2nd year) Coulthard. Had that been someone like Hakkinen driving the 95 Williams, I wouldn't bet the house on MS winning in 95.

Edited by Birelman, 17 April 2011 - 04:33.

#9341 baddog

baddog

• 23,236 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:25

With the exception of 95, MS won all his Chships in "the car to have" and "the car to have" doesn't necessarily mean the fastest car. and 95 wasn't that far off in any sense, close enough so that his driving would be enough to overcome the car deficit he had against drivers like Hill, and (2nd year) Coulthard. Had that been someone like Hakkinen driving the 95 Williams, I wouldn't bet the house on MS winning in 95.

And it is considered, by you, to be 'the car to have' because he won the championship in it. In several cases of championship years there was no other reason to think that it was 'the car to have' at all. Certainly 3 of his championships were won in circumstances where the F1 world in general did not think he was in 'the car to have'. He also would have cantered to one more if he were in the car for the whole year.

If that achievement secured him the car to have for several seasons, in which he always won the WDC, then thats hardly a negative point against his name but simply to be expected.

#9342 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:24

And it is considered, by you, to be 'the car to have' because he won the championship in it. In several cases of championship years there was no other reason to think that it was 'the car to have' at all. Certainly 3 of his championships were won in circumstances where the F1 world in general did not think he was in 'the car to have'. He also would have cantered to one more if he were in the car for the whole year.

If that achievement secured him the car to have for several seasons, in which he always won the WDC, then thats hardly a negative point against his name but simply to be expected.

It's just my opinion it was "the car to have" for many reasons that have little to do wit him winning the title. Like I said, the fastest car doesn't automatically make it "the car to have" Alonso's 2005 is an example where he was in the car to have while Raikkonen had the faster car.

Likewise, those 3 titles you, and others consider Schumacher won the title when he shouldn't have might be thought of that way because he wasn't in the fastest car, which brings me to my what I said earlier about "the car to have".

There is no guarantee that Schumacher would have won the 99 title had he completed the season, Hakkinen's results since that point can't really be used as the "what if" I hold the opinion that those results were greatly influenced by the fact that Schumacher wasn't there. Anyway, great drivers deliver when the opportunity arrives, and, the opportunity was presented to him many times, and he duly delivered, as he should. I think you may have misunderstood my point.

Edited by Birelman, 17 April 2011 - 06:25.

#9343 baddog

baddog

• 23,236 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:35

It's just my opinion it was "the car to have" for many reasons that have little to do wit him winning the title. Like I said, the fastest car doesn't automatically make it "the car to have" Alonso's 2005 is an example where he was in the car to have while Raikkonen had the faster car.

Likewise, those 3 titles you, and others consider Schumacher won the title when he shouldn't have might be thought of that way because he wasn't in the fastest car, which brings me to my what I said earlier about "the car to have".

There is no guarantee that Schumacher would have won the 99 title had he completed the season, Hakkinen's results since that point can't really be used as the "what if" I hold the opinion that those results were greatly influenced by the fact that Schumacher wasn't there. Anyway, great drivers deliver when the opportunity arrives, and, the opportunity was presented to him many times, and he duly delivered, as he should. I think you may have misunderstood my point.

Well its fair opinion though I greatly disagree with you specific cases.

As for 99, come on..

#9344 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:41

Well its fair opinion though I greatly disagree with you specific cases.

As for 99, come on..

haha, hey!! That's why they're only our opinions!! :)

#9345 Sof1

Sof1

• 596 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:08

Up 5 places to 9th in less than 1 lap. Genius!

#9346 Umpire

Umpire

• 787 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:10

You can say all you want about MS, but I think there is no denying that over the last two years has been the best starter.

#9347 vovelo

vovelo

• 87 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:57

Good race for Michael :up: Next time please do quali better for better race results :)

Edited by vovelo, 17 April 2011 - 08:59.

#9348 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,433 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:58

Brilliant race. Best start, clean, quick overtakes, great defending, quick pitstops. I haven't seen one mistake. I only wish that he would have overtaken Alonso.

Edited by Diablobb81, 17 April 2011 - 08:59.

#9349 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,716 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:03

it was closely matched and nice races, it looked competitive because of that
the level of talent in it was not top class though

#9350 schufan

schufan

• 72 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:03

Awsome race from Michael.Great start from him as usual.If Mercedes improves from here onwards pace and MS has a bit of luck with DRS in qualifying, podium is within reach. : )