Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#9351 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,717 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:05

Brilliant race. Best start, clean, quick overtakes, great defending, quick pitstops. I haven't seen one mistake. I only wish that he would have overtaken Alonso.

yes, the start was fantastic..5 positions in the 1st lap?

his overtake on petrov was quite good also...really enjoyed that move

Advertisement

#9352 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,235 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:16

Today I'm happier to see Michael racing that goog than to see that brilliant race!

#9353 Bonaventura

Bonaventura

• 7,698 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:16

Mercedes GP :stoned:
Both drivers had too less fuel

#9354 Sof1

Sof1

• 596 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:19

Great race from Schumi. Looking forward to Turkey. Schumi just needs to work on his Quali and it'll be a different ball game.

#9355 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,203 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:28

Great Sunday performace for Schumi! Brillant start, good race performance. Shame for that quali :( With a Top10 grid position he could finish ahead of Rosberg again.

#9356 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:42

Brilliant drive towards the end. He was a bit slow in the first stint and then got stuck in a pretty hectic midfield battle with a dozen cars and Webber coming up from behind: that cost him a lot of time or he should ideally have been in a position to jump the two Ferraris. Nearly overtook the second Ferrari on the last lap.

All in all a good race and some valuable points.

#9357 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:48

Will be there penalties? Alonso using his DRS in other places? Massa crossing white line.

Edited by ivand911, 17 April 2011 - 09:49.

#9358 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:53

I don't want to say I hope so but that sort of thing deserves a penalty, no matter what. Remains to be seen if the stewards are a sensible lot or just a bunch of old farts on the Ferrari payroll that have neither the capability nor the capacity to make consistent decisions.

#9359 sharo

sharo

• 1,768 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:10

No matter of the final position I'm glad the old dog still has it :)

Advertisement

#9360 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,203 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:52

I'm 100% sure if Schumi do the he would be penalized:

#9361 MCh000

MCh000

• 181 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:56

Will be there penalties? Alonso using his DRS in other places? Massa crossing white line.

While I don't care about Massa's crossing line, the case of Alonso is really interesting. In Monaco Schumi was penalized for interpreting rules differently than FIA, even so FIA recognized it was possible to interpret rules so (but it was not how FIA wanted to interpret them and thought that this was against the spirit of the rules) and changed them after that.

And now we have a case where FIA wants drivers to use DRS only on one straight. And even if they fail to restrict the use on only one straight they don't want you to use it anywhere else as this would be against the spirit of the rules.

#9362 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 730 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 13:12

Michael was looking very good when the tires were newish. However, the dropoff was too soon and too severe. I don't know if the car is just eating up the tires too fast or maybe the balance is so delicate that the least change throws it off. It was a big improvement but there is still more to sort out.

Edited by Tardis40, 17 April 2011 - 13:13.

#9363 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,773 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 14:15

And it is considered, by you, to be 'the car to have' because he won the championship in it. In several cases of championship years there was no other reason to think that it was 'the car to have' at all. Certainly 3 of his championships were won in circumstances where the F1 world in general did not think he was in 'the car to have'.

And what 3 championships were those that the "F1 world in general" did not think he was in the car to have?

#9364 sharo

sharo

• 1,768 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 15:31

Definitely 1994 Benetton, 2003 Ferrari
and maybe 2000 - first title with Ferrari.

#9365 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,203 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 16:26

+B195

#9366 sharo

sharo

• 1,768 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 16:51

In 1995 he had a Renault powered Benetton and I don't count it as a weaker (not much at least) car.

#9367 Polle

Polle

• 292 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 16:55

One more lap and he would've had nando's sauce. Qualifying still peeves me off but it was awesome watching him race today. Hes really making a name for himself with those demon starts.

#9368 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 576 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 17:00

One more lap and he would've had nando's sauce. Qualifying still peeves me off but it was awesome watching him race today. Hes really making a name for himself with those demon starts.

I think his 7 world titles did the trick in the "name for himself" part.

#9369 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,035 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 18:50

In 1995 he had a Renault powered Benetton and I don't count it as a weaker (not much at least) car.

The 1995 car was inferior to the Williams on qualifying and (sometimes) racing trim.

I mean, the drivers, David and Damon just didn't get it going on the races.

Schu made the difference.

#9370 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 20:41

Did anyone catch the BBC on the grid walk where they just catch Schumacher briefly as was walking? Was that the first Schuey interview brief one on the grid since when? It felt like the first time we heard from Schumacher before a race on the grid as that german contract pretty much kept him away from uk tv.

Anyhow, his whole demeanor before the race was pretty much like Monza 2006/ Japan 2006, one of those weekends, just try to keep to himself and that professional bubble, trying to control that level of determination through what he had to do, the Monaco 2006 race was the same, it kinda prepared you for what Schumacher was going to do off the start. He's had alot of those races, but I think he's one of the few drivers I've seen where you know what's going to happen based on his whole body language, you pick up on it, and he did deliver a result to prove it.

Mark Slade was talking about professionality and MS, seemed fitting. What a week from Sepang to China for everyone at Mercedes, pretty cool. It makes a change when your fighting a ferrari with the new guy in your old seat, that was cool.

Edited by SeanValen, 17 April 2011 - 20:43.

#9371 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 20:54

Michael Schumacher at the Launch of MSone shoes by Navyboot.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Article: http://translate.goo...../articolo.htm

The MSone site: http://www.m-s-one.com/

Edited by merschu, 17 April 2011 - 21:24.

#9372 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 23:39

car to have does not = fastest car.

Benetton 94 was better over the season than the Williams which was fast in Senna's hands. 03 Ferrari? gimmie a break that might not have been an extremely overwhelmingly dominant car, but it was still the car to have. 2000 Ferrari was the car to have McLaren was fast but fragile.

#9373 dav115

dav115

• 715 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 23:50

Benetton 94 was better over the season than the Williams which was fast in Senna's hands. 03 Ferrari? gimmie a break that might not have been an extremely overwhelmingly dominant car, but it was still the car to have. 2000 Ferrari was the car to have McLaren was fast but fragile.

The '03 Ferrari had serious tyre wear issues throughout the year, you only need to watch some of the onboards to see how nasty it could be at times to drive. TC scrunching away like mad. Case in point . There's no doubting it was a fundamentally quick car, however.

Also, look how far down Barrichello finished that season in relation to MSC. 4th, behind a McLaren and a Williams.

Edited by dav115, 17 April 2011 - 23:51.

#9374 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 00:06

The '03 Ferrari had serious tyre wear issues throughout the year, you only need to watch some of the onboards to see how nasty it could be at times to drive. TC scrunching away like mad. Case in point . There's no doubting it was a fundamentally quick car, however.

Also, look how far down Barrichello finished that season in relation to MSC. 4th, behind a McLaren and a Williams.

Haha, I know enough about Formula 1 to know not to use Schumacher's comparisons to his teammate's performance.

I can agree the 03 Ferrari wasn't exactly "perfect" cars rarely are, specially if you compare it with some other cars Michael drove, but it was still better than the Williams and McLaren by a noticeable margin. The very least you could say is that, it was "just as good" as the other cars, but not inferior by any stretch of the imagination.

#9375 dav115

dav115

• 715 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 00:29

Haha, I know enough about Formula 1 to know not to use Schumacher's comparisons to his teammate's performance.

I can agree the 03 Ferrari wasn't exactly "perfect" cars rarely are, specially if you compare it with some other cars Michael drove, but it was still better than the Williams and McLaren by a noticeable margin. The very least you could say is that, it was "just as good" as the other cars, but not inferior by any stretch of the imagination.

I see you are one of those who believes Barrichello was somehow delibaretly hampered during his time at Ferrari in order to help Michael. Unfortunately that theory falls to pieces when you consider how vital it was, ESPECIALLY in 2003, for Rubens to be up at the front with Michael, taking points off the Williams' and McLarens. Then you can look at how Rubens renewed his contract on two occasions following his initial spell at Ferrari, during the time in which he was being touted for a Williams drive.

#9376 Jazza

Jazza

• 994 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:09

I don't get this :confused:. If he finished 4th behind a Williams and a McLaren, then he also must of finished ahead of a Williams and a McLaren.

At the end of the year Ferrari won the contractors championship, and Barrichello had as many wins as any other driver except for Schumacher. If the Ferrari wasn't the best package, what was?

#9377 MCh000

MCh000

• 181 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:50

Michael Schumacher at the Launch of MSone shoes by Navyboot.

Nice price for the shoes - 5000 and 3000 Euros :D

#9378 Big Block 8

Big Block 8

• 2,423 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:14

2000 Ferrari was the car to have McLaren was fast but fragile.

Cars are labelled "fast" according to the end results and how their drivers are considered "fast" or "not that fast". Not saying that Schumacher was a hack, but considering that in 2000 he was generally regarded as "head and shoulders above the rest" by the fanboy infested F1 media, the speed of his Ferrari was bound to be underrated back then.

Anyway, regardless of the drivers, Ferrari reliability advantage was so massive there's no doubt that in 2000 Ferrari was the car to have.

#9379 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:12

Benetton 94 was better over the season than the Williams which was fast in Senna's hands.

:rolleyes:
Yeah, those 94 Benettons looked sooo fast with anyone else at the wheel.

Advertisement

#9380 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:44

:rolleyes:
Yeah, those 94 Benettons looked sooo fast with anyone else at the wheel.

just ignore them everytime schumacher has a good weekend you get people grave digging to question stuff from 10+ years ago no matter how senseless it is

#9381 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,579 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 17:36

Hello all, I'm new to the forum but a Schumi fan from a long time back. I'm here to be objective about his performances, as well as remember the glory years with y'all :clap:
Which, incidentally, were not always the years he won titles. For me the title fights were what mattered and provided the races that thrilled me the most.

I've been lurking here a long time and have noticed some spectacularly brilliant anti-Schumi posts being knocked around. To anyone who honestly doubts he was one of the greatest F1 drivers of all time I would say 2 things...

i) I can't believe you love F1, saw Michael drag that 1997 Ferrari to a near title win, and failed to notice he was a flawed genius. I mean really, if you love a sport then you want to see it done as well as possible and watching Michael drive at his peak was just about it for me. You don't have to like the man or accept his occaisonally massive failings as a sportsman. But if you are in the business of wanting to see a racing car pushed to the limit... he was the man.

ii) It wasn't always about having the best car or a subservient team mate. If you haven't watched it go take a look at the 1991 Monza GP, I'm pretty sure its on YouTube. Fans will already know what I'm talking about. Start from there and watch as many of his 1991 and 1992 races as you can. Even then he was clearly something very special.

#9382 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 18:01

Welcome spacekid :wave:

Those vintage MS years were indeed very special, but don't expect any easy time telling the resident thread trolls that :)

#9383 Cult

Cult

• 417 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 18:26

This always having the best car when winning his seven world championships is crazy.

1994 - teammate finished 10th in the world championship.

1995 - teammate finished 4th in the world championship behind the two Williams' even considering Herbert was gifted wins in Britain and Monza after Hill took Schumacher and himself out. Coulthard and Hill made so many errors that year, I watched three 1995 races last night - Monza, Suzuka and Australia. DC crashed out of the lead in Monza, crashed out of 2nd in Suzuka and crashed into the pitlane entry from 1st in Australia. The Williams was clearly the better car at points in the season but they never had the drivers to pull it off.

2000 - close but McLaren made many mistakes in the season despite winning seven of the middle ten races. You can't argue that the Ferrari was the best, perhaps equal best.

2001 - Best although Hakkinen and Coulthard were poor this year.

2002 - Undoubtedly the best.

2003 - Ferrari experienced some really difficult races throughout 2003 and were definitely not on the best tyres. Missed opportunity by Montoya who arguably had the best car overall this year, finished twice numerous times. Raikkonen also missed a trick.

2004 - Undoubtedly the best.

As you can see only for three of these years could you put forward a clear case for Ferrari having the best car. The rest are clearly subjective and there is plenty of evidence to support the opposite.

Edited by Cult, 19 April 2011 - 19:23.

#9384 Professor Arturo

Professor Arturo

• 240 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 20:48

Well, an obvious case could be made for 1995 (not having the best car), but DC was just a rookie and Hill drove the worst season of his life (with the exception of 1999).
In 1994 Benetton was clearly the car to have, same for 2003 (which IMO was the worst title for MS, he drove many bad races that year and if not for reliability problems for KR or JPM, he would not have taken the title).
2000 is so-so, some prefer one car, the others another.

#9385 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 21:34

I see you are one of those who believes Barrichello was somehow delibaretly hampered during his time at Ferrari in order to help Michael. Unfortunately that theory falls to pieces when you consider how vital it was, ESPECIALLY in 2003, for Rubens to be up at the front with Michael, taking points off the Williams' and McLarens. Then you can look at how Rubens renewed his contract on two occasions following his initial spell at Ferrari, during the time in which he was being touted for a Williams drive.

WTH is this amateur night? you trying to lecture me on F1?

You like comparisons? how many wins did Montoya's and Raikkonen's teammates have in 03 and how many did Schumacher's have?

I'm already losing touch on why this is being discussed even, somebody said that the "world in general" believed 3 of his WDCs were in cars that should NOT have won the WDC, this is the whole argument. Now, you want to say he didn't have the BEST car by far, ok, we can buy that, BUT, all of his WDCs were in cars fully capable of winning the title, specially in the circumstances that they happened, in 94 Senna (his main rival) died, in 95 the circus between the Williams drivers allowed for Schumacher to make the difference, and in 03 he had the best package, however a troublesome season, but his rivals had a weaker car. There's really not much to discuss here.

Edited by Birelman, 19 April 2011 - 21:39.

#9386 baddog

baddog

• 23,256 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 22:56

somebody said that the "world in general" believed 3 of his WDCs were in cars that should NOT have won the WDC, this is the whole argument.

Someone said that he , except for ONE season, in 'the car to have' (that was you).

Nice deflection though ;)

#9387 RSNS

RSNS

• 1,489 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 00:17

Hello all, I'm new to the forum but a Schumi fan from a long time back. I'm here to be objective about his performances, as well as remember the glory years with y'all :clap:
Which, incidentally, were not always the years he won titles. For me the title fights were what mattered and provided the races that thrilled me the most.

I've been lurking here a long time and have noticed some spectacularly brilliant anti-Schumi posts being knocked around. To anyone who honestly doubts he was one of the greatest F1 drivers of all time I would say 2 things...

i) I can't believe you love F1, saw Michael drag that 1997 Ferrari to a near title win, and failed to notice he was a flawed genius. I mean really, if you love a sport then you want to see it done as well as possible and watching Michael drive at his peak was just about it for me. You don't have to like the man or accept his occaisonally massive failings as a sportsman. But if you are in the business of wanting to see a racing car pushed to the limit... he was the man.

ii) It wasn't always about having the best car or a subservient team mate. If you haven't watched it go take a look at the 1991 Monza GP, I'm pretty sure its on YouTube. Fans will already know what I'm talking about. Start from there and watch as many of his 1991 and 1992 races as you can. Even then he was clearly something very special.

Welcome, I find myself in your predicament, except that I am not a fan. But I saw him race and truth about his greatness as a driver must be respected.

#9388 Jomyboy

Jomyboy

• 179 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:54

1994 = The Williams was the car to have. It was better than the Benetton with a FORD V8. You got to give it to Michael. A championship earned by a driver! Best driver on the grid = Michael by Miles

1995 = I guess the Williams was better but the Benetton wasn't that bad. Driver + Car made the difference.
Best driver on the grid = Michael by Miles

1996 = I dont think any other driver could have ever won 3 gps in that Ferrari. Michael made the difference back then!
Best driver on the grid = Villenueve for that year. He was something special I must admit!

1997 = The Williams was sooo the car to have. Jacques may have won the championship, but everyone in their right minds knew the Michael was the driver of the year. Midway through the season the Ferrari's had a hard time qualifying competitively, the car was so off the pace that its amazing to think Michael went into the final round leading on points!!!!
Best driver on the grid = Michael by Miles.

1998 = I can still recall Hakkinen's post qualifying gaffe "It will take a MIRACLE for anyone to beat us this year" After the Argentine race, Michael was quick to pounce on that one, he says "We finally have a Miracle." The look on Mika's face was worth a million! The Mclaren - Bridgestone combo was the car to have. The championship should have never got around until the last race. To me 1998 was the epitome of Schumacher Brilliance. I dunno how many races I'd watched that made me have goosebumps. You couldn't get proper sleep the night after the races becuz you'd still not gotten over his brilliant drives.
Best driver on the grid = Michael by Miles. One particular event that has not been discussed in the posts out year is Monaco 1998 qualifying. He had missed the Saturday Free Practice due to some issue, and he had to got straight out into qualifying in the T3 car. He managed to secure 4th in a car that he had never driven b4 that wknd!!!! During the race, he managed to overtake Alex Wurz. Can you believe it, overtaking a Renault at Monaco!!!! What miffed me most was when Louise Goodman interviewed Alex Wurz and she said, "That was great racing Alex, you were able to make Michael fight hard to get that position from you." Holly Crap, somebody overtakes @Monaco and all she got to say is congratulations to Alex for ruining Michaels day!!!! Thank God we switched over from ITV feed to Steve Slater!

2000 = We've had plenty of seasons with championships won due to some advantage or the other. But come Suzuka, it was the driver skill that won it for Michael. Mika was fast in the Mclaren and I do not doubt had the race stayed dry he would have won it. But when the conditions were most challenging, with the title in the balance it was one of Michael's GREATEST ever race to win the championship.
Best driver on the grid = Michael the worthy champion. A lot of people have a lot of theories about why Michael cried after the Monza race. Michael did say it was thinkin of Aryton. But I have a different viewpoint. After the Belgian GP, Michael had lost all the lead he had built up to that point. What looked like a championship winning season was turning out to be a disaster. People were even questioning if Michael was the best driver out there? To which Michael had replied that he never thought he was the best racing driver. I think even he had begun to lose hope in winning the championship and more sadly in himself. There was so much pressure on him, us fans during the Monza weekend. That, when it finally finished with a win - I guess it's a release of emotions. I as a fan had tears in my eyes, so why wouldn't he?

2001 = He had a very good car with him, and he made sure he got the job done well!
Best driver on the grid = Michael by Miles.

2002 = Ferrari was the car to have.
Best car on the grid = Ferrari.

2003 = The Michelins were the tyres to have that season. Schumacher didnt start off too nice. But its amazing how as the season progresses, he gets better and better.
Best driver on the grid = Michael by Miles. The race that had it all was USA 2003, reminiscent of China 2006 I'd say?? Plus the stunning move on Montoya at Monza for the lead was the stuff of Legend.

2004 = Ferrari was the car to have.
Best car on the grid = Ferrari.

2006 = I thought Schumacher had lost that cutting edge by the end of 2004 and the start of 2006 pretty much reinforced that. Schumacher's decision to retire was taken around that point itself. He must have thought that he no longer had that edge over others, so its best to retire while you're still somewhat good than being nothing at all. All that changed during the latter half of the season. It was like 1998 all over again. China 2006 was like coming from being dead and to feel alive!!!! He looked every bit the man who knew how to drive on the ragged edge. Brazil 2006 was like a fairytale ending even if it didnt get him the championship. We got to see the entire 16 years of Michael's F1 career in that 1-1/2 hour. The never say die attitude even the chips are down. And some of those moves were the most daring one had ever watched in F1. It was the perfect ending to the Schumacher Era.
Best driver on the grid = Simply Michael!

I don't think Alonso, Hamilton, or Vettel would ever be able to make that sort of impression on me. They have won quite a bit between themselves but not on Schumachers level. Yes, Vettel @Monza was a rare exception. But how many other drives have we had where we could sum it up by saying Wow! That win was all about the driver and not the car! Thats why Schumacher's legacy will never be forgotten!

Edited by Jomyboy, 20 April 2011 - 07:05.

#9389 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:11

Article: http://translate.goo...../articolo.htm

hmmm very "Michael Schumacher fashion taste"..

i wouldnt wear those in a million years :lol:

Edited by glorius&victorius, 20 April 2011 - 07:12.

#9390 DracoN

DracoN

• 901 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:14

Posted Image :rotfl:

#9391 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:58

In 1994 Benetton was clearly the car to have, ...

Yeah, it looked awesome in the hands of every driver who sat in it. Oh, hang on ...

#9392 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:12

The 1994 Benetton was a super One-man-show cheatmachine.

Without the illegal gadgets activated, the car was a worse dog than his 2011 Mercedes.

#9393 Jazza

Jazza

• 994 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:15

Yeah, it looked awesome in the hands of every driver who sat in it. Oh, hang on ...

Schumacher looked more dominate in 94 than at any other time in his whole career. He has never smashed his team mates like he did in 94. The 2nd Benetton could hardly score a point while Micheal was winning race after race, even at times a full lap ahead of the field.

Their is no way the second car was in anyway a reflection of the speed of the car. If Micheal was that good he would have won every single championship from 94 till 2006.

There is also no way MS is 2-3 seconds per lap faster than any decent F1 driver. But that was the kind of gap he would often put over the 2nd Benetton that year. The 2nd car tells us nothing about the true speed of the Benetton.

#9394 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:45

In 1994, 1995 and 1996 every other other driver than Schumacher hated the Benetton. Verstappen once drove in Michaels car. He said some stuff about electronics that was not on his car, but he also stated the setup of Michaels car was so fundamentally different, he could not drive it. Herbert in 1995 was on average 0.6 seconds slower in qualifying, and it was not the car, as telemetry at Silverstone showed. Herbert braked later for every corner, but Michael was able to give mid corner throttle and controll the very twisty Benetton. In 1996 Berger and Alesi were completely mystified by the Benetton with which Schumacher drove so well.

I am not saying Michael was the best in those years. But he could drive a car very fast that other very competent drivers just were lost with. To remind you: the same happened with Tyrrel, when Jacky Stewart left the sport in 1973 and Francois Cevert was lost in a crash. Maurice Philippe has stated that he designed short, very responsive cars and Stewart and Cevert could drive very well with it. Scheckter en Depailler (no minions) really had trouble coping with the Tyrrel cars untill Philippe designed cars with a longer base.

Regarding Schumacher this year: a friend of mine who worked at Mercedes F1 told me that at Merc, the assumption was this: that Michael was still relying on his reflexes of old, when he was able to respond to very small inbalances midcorner. But he just doesn't have that same feeling anymore, though he still thinks he has it.

Edited by Chezrome, 20 April 2011 - 10:45.

#9395 F1 Tor.

F1 Tor.

• 2,832 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:10

Posted Image :rotfl:

Woman:"OMG, those are hideous. Think of all the people running around leaving the MS initial on the ground."

#9396 Ruf

Ruf

• 1,278 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 13:34

Woman:"OMG, those are hideous. Think of all the people running around leaving the MS initial on the ground."

The red boots are indeed "questionable" but the white sneakers look both comfortable and classy.

Just imagine having one of those, and every morning leaving MS and 7 stars footprints all over Frans driveway :rotfl:

Edited by Ruf, 20 April 2011 - 13:37.

#9397 Polle

Polle

• 292 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 13:43

wow, those cases for the shoes look totally epic

8000 USD up your bum!

#9398 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 15:45

Schumacher looked more dominate in 94 than at any other time in his whole career. He has never smashed his team mates like he did in 94. The 2nd Benetton could hardly score a point while Micheal was winning race after race, even at times a full lap ahead of the field.

Their is no way the second car was in anyway a reflection of the speed of the car. If Micheal was that good he would have won every single championship from 94 till 2006.

There is also no way MS is 2-3 seconds per lap faster than any decent F1 driver. But that was the kind of gap he would often put over the 2nd Benetton that year. The 2nd car tells us nothing about the true speed of the Benetton.

:up:

#9399 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 15:50

In 1994, 1995 and 1996 every other other driver than Schumacher hated the Benetton. Verstappen once drove in Michaels car. He said some stuff about electronics that was not on his car, but he also stated the setup of Michaels car was so fundamentally different, he could not drive it. Herbert in 1995 was on average 0.6 seconds slower in qualifying, and it was not the car, as telemetry at Silverstone showed. Herbert braked later for every corner, but Michael was able to give mid corner throttle and controll the very twisty Benetton. In 1996 Berger and Alesi were completely mystified by the Benetton with which Schumacher drove so well.

I am not saying Michael was the best in those years. But he could drive a car very fast that other very competent drivers just were lost with. To remind you: the same happened with Tyrrel, when Jacky Stewart left the sport in 1973 and Francois Cevert was lost in a crash. Maurice Philippe has stated that he designed short, very responsive cars and Stewart and Cevert could drive very well with it. Scheckter en Depailler (no minions) really had trouble coping with the Tyrrel cars untill Philippe designed cars with a longer base.

Regarding Schumacher this year: a friend of mine who worked at Mercedes F1 told me that at Merc, the assumption was this: that Michael was still relying on his reflexes of old, when he was able to respond to very small inbalances midcorner. But he just doesn't have that same feeling anymore, though he still thinks he has it.

Yes, Schumacher always liked a stiff nervous car that everyone else found horrific to drive, which is a big contributor to why the gap to his teammates was so big at times. I'm not saying his teammates would have been faster than him if they liked the car the same way, but it's perfectly acceptable to assume the gap would not be as big if the other driver was as comfortable as he was.

Advertisement

#9400 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,717 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 16:30

Yes, Schumacher always liked a stiff nervous car that everyone else found horrific to drive, which is a big contributor to why the gap to his teammates was so big at times. I'm not saying his teammates would have been faster than him if they liked the car the same way, but it's perfectly acceptable to assume the gap would not be as big if the other driver was as comfortable as he was.

I think that is more than reasonable to expect
a few tenths and consistently on good form but talking about "seconds" is SciFi...

I don't think anybody with a sane mind would expect that kind of gaps