Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20770 replies to this topic

#9451 Tarun

Tarun

• 51 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 15:00

This post is a bit imaginative but it certainly gives a feel good factor to all hardcore MSC fans. I hope Michael reads this and gets some of confidence back.

Michael Schumacher – Comeback dream for the title set to begin in Instanbul park

Advertisement

#9452 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:55

Posted Image
http://www.gpupdate..../175032/#175032
Michael in his fashion style. Famous jacket and T-shirt. :)

Edited by ivand911, 05 May 2011 - 11:58.

#9453 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:39

“There was an agreement that everyone would have the same size, but certain teams don’t respect that. Now there seem to be different visions. Will Mercedes have to go to an open fi eld again or will the teams respect what they agreed and do that? We are not on the same playing field. If you take the number of people we have compared with Red Bull, that is very different." - On F1 team downsizing

(On his capabilities relative to his younger years) "I don’t doubt myself but am I still as good as I was in 2002? The answer must be probably no. If you think of the typical development of a human being, you must imagine it is the case. I cannot feel it. Whatever I do, I am up front. Whatever I do with four wheels, I am competitive. How different am I and how can I compensate this with experience? How much the F1 situation, with it being slower not quicker, compensates for age? It is difficult to put in figures. The success I have had is maybe because I am exceptional. I probably am still exceptional to do what I am doing at the age I am. I don’t doubt myself because there is not sufficient reason to do so. I still have this great passion for competition. That is in me, I still love that part. There are moments when you are not happy with certain things but my nature is that it will encourage me rather than put me off my vision. If you ask the drivers, they will have the unanimous opinion that I have what it takes.”

(Questioned on whether he is on the same level as Vettel, Hamilton & co.) “Absolutely, yes. I can still perform at this level. If the cars were five or 10 seconds quicker, maybe not. Having been out for three years, being the age I am, I don’t think there are many who could do what I’m doing. My main target is to win the world championship. I hope I have enough time.” - - Schumacher on Schumacher 2011

#9454 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 17,622 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:28

Chatter moved to race thread.

#9455 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 13:41

Poor race for MS. Expected more from both drivers.

Nobody is intimidated anymore and it will lead to a lot more ontrack incidents. Sad to see him finish like this.

Reminds me of Muhammad Ali losing to Leon Spinks.

Time to hang 'em up, Mike.

Edited by Ferrari_F1_fan_2001, 08 May 2011 - 13:42.

#9456 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 13:42

The DRS was bordering a joke, no-one could stand a chance of defending consistently against kind of an advantage.

#9457 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 13:44

He was out of sync with the strategy because of the Petrov incident and therefore a sitting duck all the time for the others.
Poor race and Mercedes fading in the race was not a surprise either.

Edited by Urawa, 08 May 2011 - 13:45.

#9458 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,972 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 13:49

“There was an agreement that everyone would have the same size, but certain teams don’t respect that. Now there seem to be different visions. Will Mercedes have to go to an open fi eld again or will the teams respect what they agreed and do that? We are not on the same playing field. If you take the number of people we have compared with Red Bull, that is very different." - On F1 team downsizing

(On his capabilities relative to his younger years) "I don’t doubt myself but am I still as good as I was in 2002? The answer must be probably no. If you think of the typical development of a human being, you must imagine it is the case. I cannot feel it. Whatever I do, I am up front. Whatever I do with four wheels, I am competitive. How different am I and how can I compensate this with experience? How much the F1 situation, with it being slower not quicker, compensates for age? It is difficult to put in figures. The success I have had is maybe because I am exceptional. I probably am still exceptional to do what I am doing at the age I am. I don’t doubt myself because there is not sufficient reason to do so. I still have this great passion for competition. That is in me, I still love that part. There are moments when you are not happy with certain things but my nature is that it will encourage me rather than put me off my vision. If you ask the drivers, they will have the unanimous opinion that I have what it takes.”

(Questioned on whether he is on the same level as Vettel, Hamilton & co.) “Absolutely, yes. I can still perform at this level. If the cars were five or 10 seconds quicker, maybe not. Having been out for three years, being the age I am, I don’t think there are many who could do what I’m doing. My main target is to win the world championship. I hope I have enough time.” - - Schumacher on Schumacher 2011

With Jean Todt talking about some limited testing, I'm sure RedBull's numbers of people will come to the table. It's not a level playing field.
Some limited testing back would be welcomed for rookies.

With Ferrari looking strong again, redbull seem to lock out, Mercedes looking strong for some practice sessions and qualifying is not what matters, Mercedes needs a strong race car to captialise on tyres.

Edited by SeanValen, 08 May 2011 - 13:54.

#9459 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 6,135 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 13:50

DC, speaking about Schumacher fighting for a corner:
"He just doesn't know when to give up on it"

Martin : "What his career?"

:lol:

Edited by SlateGray, 08 May 2011 - 13:53.

Advertisement

#9460 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

When you considered he had already pitted twice by lap 15 he's done an okay-ish job, though it's a shame that the 3-stoppers still managed to get ahead of him.

#9461 Scotracer

Scotracer

• 2,814 posts

Horrific race again.

No more excuses.

#9462 bushgold

bushgold

• 228 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 13:55

Reminds me of Muhammad Ali losing to Leon Spinks.

Best car. Plodders for team mates. Era when overtaking was done in the pitlane.

You can compare Ayrton Senna to Muhammad Ali but Schumacher ? No way.

#9463 vovelo

vovelo

• 87 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 13:56

When you considered he had already pitted twice by lap 15 he's done an okay-ish job, though it's a shame that the 3-stoppers still managed to get ahead of him.

agree with you . He lost too many time after 3rd pit-stop. I guess he switched on prime and used old softs on last stint (after 4th pit-stop) . in the middle of race his pace was very good (watched live-timing).

But main problem is still here - bad quali pace, which means a lot of troubles in the race like today in opening laps with Petrov .

#9464 CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow

• 2,368 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 13:56

Schumacher should quit, honestly, it's embarrassing now.

#9465 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,755 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 13:57

Race pace wasn't bad. But he should have yielded on Petrov.

But the one lap pace needs to come.

Edited by Diablobb81, 08 May 2011 - 13:58.

#9466 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 13:57

It wasn't funny.

It is not amusing to see a once awesome champion hanging around too long, way past his best fighting with mid fielders.

Sad end to an amazing career. Reminds of Muhammad Ali or Mike Tyson. Very sad.

#9467 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 647 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 13:59

Same thought, should have yielded to Petrov. With the pace he showed today, a 7th place could've been achieved.

Too many negative things are starting to come together, an improvement is much needed.

Some nice passes though with Massa and Buemi.

Edited by PoliFanAthic, 08 May 2011 - 13:59.

#9468 libano

libano

• 235 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 13:59

their bias against schu is pathetic more than anything else. poorly disguised contempt which makes them look sore, petty and unprofessional.

#9469 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,509 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 14:00

It wasn't funny.

It is not amusing to see a once awesome champion hanging around too long, way past his best fighting with mid fielders.

Sad end to an amazing career. Reminds of Muhammad Ali or Mike Tyson. Very sad.

Indeed Very sad to watch for me. He was still better in his peak career than the majorty of todays grid though.

#9470 marchi-91

marchi-91

• 440 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 14:03

He'll get a podium at Monaco. But who ever made changes on that car post q3 needs their head's checked. Stop trying to ****ing over engineer and leave shit alone. Its why the likes of Redbull are smashing them. His pace was great until his 4th stint and then got caught up in traffic.

Edited by marchi-91, 08 May 2011 - 14:05.

#9471 libano

libano

• 235 posts

you keep telling yourself that...he wasn't paid astronomical salaries for doing unremarkable things.

#9472 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

That is your opinion.

You can have the best car and still throw it away.

Plodders for team mates? Well, one of them is still around......

I'm not going to try and convince you how good he once was. Sadly for you, from 1991-2006 the entire F1 world thought otherwise. Still, the armchair experts know best, eh?

#9473 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,972 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 14:04

I didn't expect MS to have a strong race giving his qualifying issue wasn't figured out, he was racing into the unknown.

Without the Petrov moment, and extra pitstop, both Merc drivers dropped back, there's issues there.

MS was strong at Turkey last year with 4th place, tad stronger then Rosberg last year, so it's easy to jump to conclusions again, the team hasn't found any consistency, there's always some issue, only China did Mercedes look anything like race pace good, and even then parts failed at important momnets in qualifying.

It'll all be kept within the team, I'm still waiting for a functioning mercedes team over the whole weeked, race set up on high fuel is not strong and it's the most important thing, MS could of done better, but I think even he is annoyed with the ongoing issues over the weekend, Rosberg can't be happy with going backwards, MS had a qualfying that didn't make sense.

I'll put redbull and ferrari ahead of Mercedes and Mclaren also. Overall a 4th team still.

#9474 Apollonius

Apollonius

• 601 posts

their bias against schu is pathetic more than anything else. poorly disguised contempt which makes them look sore, petty and unprofessional.

Here here, it was actually cringe worthy to see a couple of washed up never have-beens making sly remarks about a driver whom's race boots they aren't fit to lace.

#9475 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,981 posts

I have nothing against Schumi and have strong admiration for him but this race was his worst comeback race since Canada 2010. While his teammate is jocking for a podium, Michael is tugging for 12th with second tier midfield drivers. It was an embarrassing view and must have been so for the management too. I question his long term suitability as a driver for Mercedes. If F1 was a circus then he would be the clown. The fact that Kobayashi is leading him in the standings is a testament to how much Schumi is struggling.

#9476 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Is it bias when they're actually correct?

#9477 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,820 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 14:05

until his last stop he was smth like 4-5 sec off rosberg

but don't let facts come in the way of a bashfest....
his racing with massa and jaime was simply fantastic...that was a great move

#9478 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 17,622 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 14:07

And there were some very shoddy moves too.

I agree he wasn't as bad as some people are trying to paint here, but he didn't look like a 7xWDC today.

#9479 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 14:08

Yeah he might not be totallyslow, but he's awareness is gone, he seems to panic rather then defend.

Advertisement

#9480 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,820 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 14:09

I agree he wasn't as bad as some people are trying to paint here, but he didn't look like a 7xWDC today.

not one of his good races but both mercedes cars were going backwards today....

he still earned a position from the dirty side at the start
btw, wtfk is wrong with rubens again? what was that all about?

#9481 sharo

sharo

• 1,792 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 14:10

Yes.
Most of the middle part he was about 3.5 to 5 seconds behind Rosberg and that despite having to pit when the pack is still very tight soon after the start.
Michael drove as much as the package he has allowed.

But this thread seems to have a wrong title. It should be MS haters reunion thread instead :)

#9482 libano

libano

• 235 posts

Is it bias when they're actually correct?

when you hear those clowns questioning schumacher's racecraft, how can you possibly take them seriously? he's had countless amazing races where he plowed through the whole field. even today he made some of the best passing moves of the day. nah, they never got over 1994.

#9483 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,820 posts

Yeah he might not be totallyslow, but he's awareness is gone, he seems to panic rather then defend.

no, probably he needs to understand that defending today is not really possible.
today overtaking was just a bit too easy

#9484 Apollonius

Apollonius

• 601 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 14:17

Indeed - having the audacity to question if he knew how to overtake and defend because he won a lot of races from the front. Some of his best drives have been through carving his way through the field. Those two clowns may want to watch the race in Monaco 2006 for a lesson on Schumacher's race craft. Of course both clowns know this, they just couldn't resist a little dig from the comfort of their commentary box...........oh but don't forget Coulthard can still pass judgement, I mean he's tearing up the DTM scene.....isn't he? Yeah exactly.
And yet they both heap praise on Vettel - a fine young racing driver, no doubt about it but he really is a man whom can only win from the front and has little to no race craft whatsoever.

Edited by Apollonius, 08 May 2011 - 14:18.

#9485 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,054 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 14:21

when you hear those clowns questioning schumacher's racecraft, how can you possibly take them seriously? he's had countless amazing races where he plowed through the whole field. even today he made some of the best passing moves of the day. nah, they never got over 1994.

And when Schumacher's Ferrari was miles faster than the rest, and he would be pulling away at a second per lap, what did Martin used to say about him then? Things like, "come on boys give me a challenge", and "he is looking in his mirror wondering where they are. He is just on a different level to everyone else". Praise, credit, nothing but good words.

Praise if you win, criticism when you loose. Seems rather unbiased really.

#9486 BRK

BRK

• 3,653 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 14:22

Interesting race there. I had live timing on the whole time and his pace was actually pretty good, even with the traffic around him and the constant swapping he was still matching the front runners, that was a pleasant surprise. His racing was itself on the limit stuff, same as his Ferrari days, there were occasions I was hoping he'd just let the damn car behind pass rather than risk an accident - but this is Michael Schumacher, yielding and MS don't go hand in hand.

The racing's a joke now and it seems more and more people are now coming around eventually: it's all down to the tyres more than anything else and the DRS.

The root cause is obviously his qualifying performance: a) he needs to sort his one lap pace out; b) they need to find out what the **** is happening to his car between FP3 and qualifying, that's been a trend we've seen for quite a while now. If he can qualify further up ahead he could stay clear of the nutcases at the back like Petrov and Kobayashi: less risk of a DNF, cleaner racing.

#9487 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 14:22

Brundle's attitude towards Schumacher is somewhat confusing. It's between a mixture of awe of his achievments and snide remarks tinged with a hint of jealousy and wit.

Its the tone and the tenor of the comments.

Edited by Ferrari_F1_fan_2001, 08 May 2011 - 14:25.

#9488 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,839 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 14:24

And there were some very shoddy moves too.

He looked like the same driver who turned in on JV back in '97. He surely hasn't forgotten how to do that. Leopards never change spots.

#9489 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,054 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 14:28

If he can qualify further up ahead he could stay clear of the nutcases at the back like Petrov and Kobayashi: less risk of a DNF, cleaner racing.

Nutcases? They were just racing. MS was acting like every other car was being driven by JV. Turning in on petrov was just stupid.

#9490 BRK

BRK

• 3,653 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 14:31

Wait a second, if Schumacher had tried a bonehead move like Petrov did - outbraking himself and nearly taking them both out - you'd all have still said the same thing. :lol:

#9491 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,509 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 14:31

In my opinion Schumacher just left it to long to come back. Had he returned in 2008. I think he would of cleaned up and could of retired on top. He simply left it to long.

#9492 Spa95

Spa95

• 861 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 14:34

Nutcases? They were just racing. MS was acting like every other car was being driven by JV. Turning in on petrov was just stupid.

He turned into the left hander as every good F1 driver would - Petrov then overshot the corner and drove into Schumachers car. Shoddy driving by Petrov, but Michael has to play the whipping boy again and gets the blame.

#9493 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,839 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 14:36

If he can qualify further up ahead he could stay clear of the nutcases at the back like Petrov and Kobayashi: less risk of a DNF, cleaner racing.

Now Petrov and Kobayashi are nutcases.......... :rolleyes:

#9494 libano

libano

• 235 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 14:39

He turned into the left hander as every good F1 driver would - Petrov then overshot the corner and drove into Schumachers car. Shoddy driving by Petrov, but Michael has to play the whipping boy again and gets the blame.

that's exactly how i saw it. their remark: "he just doesn't know when to give up."
pathetic.

#9495 libano

libano

• 235 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 14:40

Brundle's attitude towards Schumacher is somewhat confusing. It's between a mixture of awe of his achievments and snide remarks tinged with a hint of jealousy and wit.

this!

#9496 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 14:40

Now Petrov and Kobayashi are nutcases.......... :rolleyes:

is that trolling?

#9497 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 14:44

I think Brundle's "tactic" at commentating MS eversince he returned to F1 has been 1) to hail MS, and in fact raise expectations all the time... and 2) when Michael underperforms Brundle goes into "puzzled-mode".... how can this be? how can the great MS this and that.... 7times WDC etc etc

He does it all the time in all the commentating about MS. Fixed pattern there.
It's not very clean towards MS... (but MS offcourse couldnt be bothered by someone like Brundle who never drove to pole position, or ever won a race)
So to use your words: it must be stemming from some kind of envy and jealousy (I guess)

Eddie Jordan on the other hand is definitely sincere about MS.

Edited by glorius&victorius, 08 May 2011 - 14:51.

#9498 BRK

BRK

• 3,653 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 14:45

That's all right, I'm sorry for you guys that have to put up with this sort of biased commentary. Petrov overshot his braking point and Schumacher stuck to his racing line = it's Schumacher so he must have turned in. That's the sort of conditioning that goes on in Britain and elsewhere.

Thankfully I don't have to listen to this sort of garbage race after race.

#9499 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 14:45

I think you're making too much over it, its called media and entertainment and witty banter.

Advertisement

#9500 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,054 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 14:46

MS hits petrov's rear wheel, and that's because petrov drove into him?

I don't think that even other MS fans will support you on this one... And the MS bashers may have just laughed themselves to the point of peeing and shitting at once.