Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#9651 libano

libano

• 235 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:46

Because he made an error in corner 1 on his Q3 lap, which ruined his entire lap. He admitted it yesterday.

doesn't explain why he lost most of his time in sector 2.

Advertisement

#9652 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,332 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:47

Massa has the same difference to Alonso, but he doesnt get the flack Michael does, everyone just gangs up on him

#9653 as65p

as65p

• 17,218 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:50

It does. Apparently he got his tyres dirty with that error, hence no grip for a good deal of the lap, incl. S2.

#9654 as65p

as65p

• 17,218 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:53

Massa has the same difference to Alonso, but he doesnt get the flack Michael does, everyone just gangs up on him

If the expectation on MS were to perform like Massa, you'd have a point.

#9655 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:02

That's what Brawn said I think, that he ran wide at the first corner and had dirty tyres as a result, that sort of thing still wouldn't explain the massive gap to P1.

#9656 rog

rog

• 907 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:06

Because he ruined his tyres in this corner. He drove wide and tried to correct it with too much wheelspin and then he lost his grip of the fresh tyres. It could be a combination of the dirty tyres and the messed up rear tyres due to wheelpin.

#9657 Number62

Number62

• 493 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:08

I honestly don't know why he doesn't re-retire immediately. Of all the possible reasons to continue I can only think of:

He's winning
He thinks there's a chance of winning
He's beating his team mate
He's extracting the maximum from the package
He's doing a fantastic development job
He's enjoying himself
He needs the money

But not one of those is true.

If he was rubbish but enjoying himself I think most people would agree he has earned the right to carry on.

What's left to keep putting it on the line for?

#9658 nbhb

nbhb

• 903 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:44

I rewatch the race. Shumi's times were good. If not that Petrov incident he would have did much better. He was on a 3 stop strategy and he didn't finished far away from Button.

#9659 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:59

The thing is at one stage he was even only 4 seonds behind Rosberg in race and lapping better and not far off the pace of the Ferrari's. I just wish Micheal could avoid accidents more and he would not be far off Rosbergs points total. He needs to get top 6 on Saturday to avoid these kind of contacts.

Absolutely, he needs to work on his one-lap pace and hopefully the mysterious issues that seem to crop up for him every qualifying session will finally stop. Pending a proper debrief and an internal investigation, of course.  ;)

Advertisement

#9660 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,323 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:02

Absolutely, he needs to work on his one-lap pace and hopefully the mysterious issues that seem to crop up for him every qualifying session will finally stop. Pending a proper debrief and an internal investigation, of course. ;)

He should do two runs in Q3 Just doing the one run can not be helping in my opinion.

#9661 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:25

It was ridiculous. DC saying "Schumacher has never been good in traffic" for instance. We should really trust an authority in attitudes in overtaking from David Coulthard because...

theres another video aswell where schumacher is trying to overtake coulthard and schumachers on the inside with all 4 wheels on the kerb and coulthard doesnt give him any space and they both crash..

coulthards career is full of embrassing blunders and brain farts..

SPA 98 coulthard causes the biggest pileup ever saw in f1 :rolleyes:
SPA 98 , coulthard slows down in the monsoon like conditions to let schumacher pass... but does it on the racing line :rolleyes:

coulthard is the last person who should be slagging anyone off he was never very good even as a number 2 to hakkinen...

schumacher fought his way from the back of the grid to win races more than a few times so seeing he was never any good at wheel to wheel racing is horse crap, im sure mika hakkinen remembers schumacher beeing more than good enough at wheel to wheel racing as they did it fairly often

#9662 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,122 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:30

I'm beginning to wonder if Michael is having a recurrance of the neck/back injury from his motorbike crash that made it very painful to turn his head? A couple of incidents over the weekend - being startled off the track by a passing car in FP1 and the Petrov skirmish in the race - would have been on the periphery of his field of vision if he was reluctant to turn his head away from the straight-ahead position. The G-forces through Turn 8 would also not have been kind to a damaged neck, perhaps aggravating the problem.

#9663 Aviator

Aviator

• 63 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:22

Since MS returned to F1 i have read, i have read i have read....
Did anyone in this forum ever said this? [haven't seen it before, anyway]

MS
1. He is not getting bored [!!!]
2. He is playing with his favorite toys [isn't that something?]
3. He doesn't mess with Corina everyday [he has all the excuses for not being there]
4. He makes huge money [fooling everyone around :p ]
5. He is having a good time!

And people try to analyze this?? :rotfl:

Honestly gentlemen, if you had the same chances wouldn't have done the same?

Edited by Aviator, 09 May 2011 - 11:23.

#9664 jav

jav

• 197 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:43

As a Schumacher fan, I can't overlook a few things. 1) Nico is consistently getting more out of the car than MS. 2) Merc's car is not on par with Redbull but seems to have improved to the point of mixing it up in the next tier. 3) P8 qualifying and P12 in the race appears to be more driver than car related.

Unless there is some internal sabotage going on, it does appear MS effectiveness behind the wheel is questionable. And, to suggest sabotage without clear and compelling proof is just going to make things worse all around. I now suspect that if things don't improve significantly, a change will be made after this season- with his concent or without it.

#9665 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 13:39

Well, onwards and upwards to Barcelona. A track which he has performed fairly well at over his career and finishing 4th last year. I suspect he'll, provided there's not a mystifying occurrence with his car, nip ahead of Nico

#9666 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 733 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 14:08

I can understand Michael's frustration.

He had a yen to race and the opportunity came to join a title winning team. (and a German team to boot) The first car was a complete dog. This one is inconsistent. It's apparent he's losing patience and confidence in the team. Like, "I came out of retirement for THIS crap???"

#9667 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 733 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 14:08

I can understand Michael's frustration.

He had a yen to race and the opportunity came to join a title winning team. (and a German team to boot) The first car was a complete dog. This one is inconsistent. It's apparent he's losing patience and confidence in the team. Like, "I came out of retirement for THIS crap???"

#9668 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,761 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 14:30

It's apparent he's losing patience and confidence in the team.

This could only happen if he was getting the maximum out of the car. As it is, I'd say the team is losing patience and confidence in Schumacher.

#9669 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 14:57

Is it true, that Schumacher coudn't remember if he had a three- or four stop, when he was speaking with a SKY redacteur after the race??? :cat:

#9670 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 17:40

Is it true, that Schumacher coudn't remember if he had a three- or four stop, when he was speaking with a SKY redacteur after the race??? :cat:

Doesn't mean much, neither could Lewis.

#9671 FNG

FNG

• 3,178 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 18:44

I was really pulling for Schu last year and this year. Really wanted him to have a good comeback. I was a huge fan in the Benetton days and very early Ferrari days. Stopped being a fan around 2002 to retirement. Then was really pulling for him again with the comeback but I really have to say it's getting embarrassing now. I guess he needs to save face and finish the season but there is no way he should be back for 2012, it's just too painful to watch now. I feel sorry for him.

#9672 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,997 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 18:54

....Both drivers make a mistake. Petrov still missing the apex. Schumacher still aiming for the apex even though there's a car there.

Exactly - nothing more than that - why all the fuzz. We have all seen far worse from Schumi.

Since MS returned to F1 i have read, i have read i have read....
Did anyone in this forum ever said this? [haven't seen it before, anyway]

MS
1. He is not getting bored [!!!]
2. He is playing with his favorite toys [isn't that something?]
3. He doesn't mess with Corina everyday [he has all the excuses for not being there]
4. He makes huge money [fooling everyone around :p ]
5. He is having a good time!

And people try to analyze this?? :rotfl:

Honestly gentlemen, if you had the same chances wouldn't have done the same?

I think he is in a unique and enviable position - who wouldn´t want to be in his shoes?
However, the ice is wearing a bit thin, isn´t it?

#9673 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,457 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 19:59

Petrov v Schumacher moved to its own thread

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=147485

#9674 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 319 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 20:15

Massa is competing against Alonso (most people would put him in the top 3 bracket)

Schumacher (a 7 time world champion) is competing against Rosberg (who was outclassed by Hamilton on route to F1)

Are you really, I mean 'really', that surprised?

#9675 BJHF1

BJHF1

• 59 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 22:21

Massa is competing against Alonso (most people would put him in the top 3 bracket)

Schumacher (a 7 time world champion) is competing against Rosberg (who was outclassed by Hamilton on route to F1)

Are you really, I mean 'really', that surprised?

As if that really means anything :lol: Vettel got "outclassed" (more like smashed) in Euro F3 back in the day by numerous drivers (Hamilton, Di Resta, Di Grassi, Sutil) ...so what's your opinion of him?

#9676 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 22:45

Well, onwards and upwards to Barcelona. A track which he has performed fairly well at over his career and finishing 4th last year. I suspect he'll, provided there's not a mystifying occurrence with his car, nip ahead of Nico

Like, when Nico has a bad weekend and his car doesn't seem to work for him, as at Malaysia. Here Nico had performed well in the past, but according to his fans, it's Michael showing his superiority. Drawing a line through all the peaks and troughs it's always Nico coming up 3/10ths ahead or better and greater consistency with it. Michael's starts have been very good but maybe part of that is he is starting among slower cars from poor qualifying.

No there doesn't seem to be any mystery to it anymore. 20 races is enough for anyone serious enough to look at the facts and say, he has lost it. He has lost it so much that it's unlikely he will get another season. It's disappointing as he was once great, no longer is, not even a top 10 driver, so why would MB bother for 2012. Come to think of it, why would Michael bother?

#9677 minardifans

minardifans

• 242 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 22:49

Maybe if Schumacher was a little less aggressive and allowed cars that are faster than him (due to being on a different strategy) past. By being overly defensive he ends up losing himself more time and causes more collisions.

#9678 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:27

Maybe if Schumacher was a little less aggressive and allowed cars that are faster than him (due to being on a different strategy) past. By being overly defensive he ends up losing himself more time and causes more collisions.

Well, that would certainly net him better results, but, if he did that, he wouldn't really be Michael Schumacher. What he needs to do is drive smart, he used to outsmart everyone, which I think was always his biggest asset. He hasn't been driving smart, there's a fine line between driving aggressively and driving stupidly, and, IMO, he's been closer to the latter. He needs to get back to what he does best, and that's driving with his head, the speed isn't going to be there to beat these kids head on, however, he does posses enough speed to be able to beat them by outsmarting them.

#9679 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 641 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:20

Here's an overtaking statistic from Clip the Apex:

Total overtakes: 113
Drivers: most overtaking moves: Felipe Massa (13), Kamui Kobayashi (11), Michael Schumacher (11)
Most times overtaken: Heikki Kovalainen (13), Michael Schumacher (10), Jaime Alguersuari (9), Jarno Trulli (9)

Clearly, being in the middle of the pack puts you in a lot of action. This does point out though that Schumacher was involved in 21 passes, of which only the first one was problematic in terms of integrity. Then again, Turkey was ridiculous in terms of how easy it was to pass at the DRS zone.

Advertisement

#9680 OSX

OSX

• 4,192 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:56

Reality Strikes For Schumacher
9 May 2011

"We have to be careful when ex drivers of a similar age to Schumacher say that his age has nothing to do with it, as Johnny Herbert has said this week, for instance, or Jacques Villeneuve has said several time. It is in their interests to say that as they are all hoping to get paid well to drive competitive cars in their 40s. I don’t think that Rosberg, Vettel and Hamilton are “better” than Schumcher, they are just better than he is now."

"I don’t go along with people who say that he’s damaging his legacy. He won seven world titles in his prime, no-one can take that away from him. There are one or two problems with his legacy anyway, due to controversies he got himself into, but what’s happening now has no impact on what he achieved before to my mind.

This period of return has simply been an epilogue, which has yet to find its sense of purpose."

http://www.jamesalle...for-schumacher/

Nice and fair article from Allen. The age is surely an issue no matter what the ex-rivals say.

#9681 as65p

as65p

• 17,218 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:06

9 May 2011

"We have to be careful when ex drivers of a similar age to Schumacher say that his age has nothing to do with it, as Johnny Herbert has said this week, for instance, or Jacques Villeneuve has said several time. It is in their interests to say that as they are all hoping to get paid well to drive competitive cars in their 40s. I don’t think that Rosberg, Vettel and Hamilton are “better” than Schumcher, they are just better than he is now."

"I don’t go along with people who say that he’s damaging his legacy. He won seven world titles in his prime, no-one can take that away from him. There are one or two problems with his legacy anyway, due to controversies he got himself into, but what’s happening now has no impact on what he achieved before to my mind.

This period of return has simply been an epilogue, which has yet to find its sense of purpose."

Nice and fair article from Allen. The age is surely an issue no matter what the ex-rivals say.

Uh-oh. I completely agree with J. Allen :eek:

#9682 MichaelJP

MichaelJP

• 849 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:22

I honestly don't know why he doesn't re-retire immediately. Of all the possible reasons to continue I can only think of:

He's winning
He thinks there's a chance of winning
He's beating his team mate
He's extracting the maximum from the package
He's doing a fantastic development job
He's enjoying himself
He needs the money

But not one of those is true.

If he was rubbish but enjoying himself I think most people would agree he has earned the right to carry on.

What's left to keep putting it on the line for?

OK, here are a few reasons..

He doesn't want to finish his career on a low
He has a contract to finish the year
He doesn't want to be seen as a quitter
Things may get better

It's embarrassing for him now, but far worse to drop out mid-season.

#9683 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:27

It's embarrassing for him now, but far worse to drop out mid-season.

But it can get more embarrassing for him when he will go worse....and worse....and worse :|

#9684 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:47

Herbert sounds like a total ass with his comments about Schumacher. He honestly sounds like some fanboy in a Hamilton vs Alonso argument. Except that he's an anti-Schumacher one. Anyway, just thought I'd share that I just lost lot of respect for a certain former teammate of Schumacher's.

Edited by 2ms, 10 May 2011 - 09:47.

#9685 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,387 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:50

Herbert sounds like a total ass with his comments about Schumacher. He honestly sounds like some fanboy in a Hamilton vs Alonso argument. Except that he's an anti-Schumacher one. Anyway, just thought I'd share that I just lost lot of respect for a certain former teammate of Schumacher's.

For the most part I agree with him. Don't understand why you think he's a total arse, though. Nevermind, don't want to know.

#9686 steveninthematrix

steveninthematrix

• 329 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:19

again, allow me to iterate,

MS was very fast in FP3, and right there in Q1 ... and then, it just starts to fall apart...

too much pressure on himself? over-driving? something hasn't gelled.... but, I am thinking Monaco will be the race that turns his season around and he wants his hunger and desire for perfection again..... when a tenth of a second matters, only perfection allows you to reach the goal.

the guy who drive Monaco 06 from last all the way through the field virtually, and Brazil 06 with the puncture, is still there, somewhere.....

#9687 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,884 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:26

I tend to ignore any comments on Schumi by Herbert, he is very anti-Schu and bitter. that is plain to see over the years, I guess being spanked by Schumi at Benetton didn't help but even in documentaries his bitterness is plain for all to see.

#9688 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,450 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:37

I think Schumacher is pushing harder than other drivers from practice 1. So he looks OK until the end of qualifying when other drivers start to really push and then he is not so OK. Just a thought.

#9689 eoin

eoin

• 5,010 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:40

again, allow me to iterate,

MS was very fast in FP3, and right there in Q1 ... and then, it just starts to fall apart...

too much pressure on himself? over-driving? something hasn't gelled.... but, I am thinking Monaco will be the race that turns his season around and he wants his hunger and desire for perfection again..... when a tenth of a second matters, only perfection allows you to reach the goal.

the guy who drive Monaco 06 from last all the way through the field virtually, and Brazil 06 with the puncture, is still there, somewhere.....

Well that's the problem- most weekends seem to fall apart for him. I also disagree that Monaco will be 'the turning point'. If he can't get it right at Barcelona then there is no chance he will get it right at Monaco. Monaco is a confidence circuit and right now Schumacher's confidence is at an all time low.

I think Schumacher is pushing harder than other drivers from practice 1. So he looks OK until the end of qualifying when other drivers start to really push and then he is not so OK. Just a thought.

I think both he and Rosberg push more than most drivers in practice- Rosberg wants to keep the upper-hand and Schumacher wants to get some momentum. However that doesn't explain why he did a 1.26.0** in P3 and then did a 1:26.6 in Q3- with less fuel and more rubber down he should of been 3-4 tenths faster, not 6 tenths slower.

Edited by eoin, 10 May 2011 - 10:49.

#9690 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:48

That theory falls apart because Schumacher went backwards from FP3 to Quali, whilst the track only improved.

#9691 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,034 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:57

Schumie is 42. Time as gone, he should call it a day co's now it's a bit embarrassing seeing him in a good car traveling in the middle of the field taking beatings from Sutil or Barrichello. The all time best driver does not need that. Everyone should now when to quit. That is one of the qualities i admire in champions like Prost, Hakkinen or Gronholm. 

#9692 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:00

Everyone said basically the same after China last year. They replaced his chassis and promptly he was up there again.
I'm not saying his chassis is or isn't damaged again. Just that this is another knee-jerk reaction to his first bad race of the year. And his first bad qualifying without an explanation.

He won't get even worse, he will do better in races to come, and I think we still have some potential highlights to see the rest of the year. :)

#9693 Daniel Lester

Daniel Lester

• 2,083 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:06

I think the purpose of the comeback will ultimately for Schumacher to get closure and realise that time catches up with everyone and you can't be at the top level of a sport forever.

However having an older driver off his peak performance up against a young charger at the top of his game is hardly unique, Prost/Lauda, Senna/Prost are two examples I can think of. The older driver in each pair didn't have the single lap speed for qualifying but could compete in the races through being more strategic and a little cunning. Thus when the pressure goes on in Q2 or Q3 to get that last half second Rosberg finds it and Schumacher doesn't and I'm sure it hurts Schumcher cause he was a guy that could do it all the time when he was younger and now that he can't it fustrates him. The sooner Schumacher admits to himself the game is different and age/time has slowed him up a bit the sooner he can rethink his approach a bit, accepting 10th on the grid and saving more sets of tyres for the race for example - or tuning the car to be a great, tyre protecting, race car and not so good in qualifying.

The other part of the game for Schumacher is adjusting to a formula where not every pass is going to ruin your day as it more often than not did back in 'his era', giving up early if someone has the run on you in the DRS zone, maximising your lap times and preserving tyre life may ultimately provide a better strategy that gets you back in front later in the race. By not letting Petrov go he broke a wing and put himself onto a strategy that needed to find 10 laps of tyre life across the reminder of race the others didn't (for the same number of tyre sets), it also put him out of synch with those around him, his tyres were old when theirs were new and he got beat up as a result.

The old boy has to get clever and play more of Prost style racer than the Senna style and get beyond the mental side of not being what he was. If he can do any of that he may just find that he can enjoy it, get some reasonable results without needing to be the dominator he once was and close out his career in the knowledge that he had nothing left to give.

In some ways I'm surprised ex F1 drivers who have retired from F1 don't do a season or 2 of GP2 - would be good for the young guys coming through to show they can beat and established bench mark.

#9694 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:12

Everyone said basically the same after China last year. They replaced his chassis and promptly he was up there again.
I'm not saying his chassis is or isn't damaged again. Just that this is another knee-jerk reaction to his first bad race of the year. And his first bad qualifying without an explanation.

He won't get even worse, he will do better in races to come, and I think we still have some potential highlights to see the rest of the year. :)

If I remember correctly wasn't Turkey after Spain last year? Turkey was infact after Monaco, it is now 2 races earlier. The 4th race last year was CHina, which was MS's bad race last year and Turkey where he was overall better last year then Rosberg was the 4th race this year. The 5th race remains Spain. If he can do some more Q3 sessions this year, iand or the team explains what happened in turkey, either way, going forward will explain more eventually. Albert Park the team was a mess, so was Sepang yet MS came out on top, MS never liked China unless it rained ,but his race was better then last year, I would say Turkey was a bad weekend, hs first proper one, the other weekends such as the DRS failure in quali for China I'll give to the team.

Edited by SeanValen, 10 May 2011 - 11:15.

#9695 Kohque

Kohque

• 359 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:20

Independently of who he is, Mercedes should replace him if he doesn't improve his performance A LOT. There are not many seats in F1 and there are really a lot young drivers waiting for a chance to compete in F1. It is sad, for example, to see Hulkenberg as a test driver while Schumacher is giving an awful spectacle with the third o fourth car of the championship.

#9696 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 319 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:25

As if that really means anything :lol: Vettel got "outclassed" (more like smashed) in Euro F3 back in the day by numerous drivers (Hamilton, Di Resta, Di Grassi, Sutil) ...so what's your opinion of him?

Ok for arguments sake lets leave the route to F1 out of this, as Kobyashi didn't have a stella ride to F1, but appears to be doing ok now. So might not be the best yard stick to work to.

However, do you think Rosberg is better, equal to or worse than Alonso?

If your answer is correct then you will now understand the point I was originally making....

p.s I think Vettel is over-rated, good, but over-rated :wave:

#9697 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:28

I think both he and Rosberg push more than most drivers in practice- Rosberg wants to keep the upper-hand and Schumacher wants to get some momentum. However that doesn't explain why he did a 1.26.0** in P3 and then did a 1:26.6 in Q3- with less fuel and more rubber down he should of been 3-4 tenths faster, not 6 tenths slower.

Yes, this is the strange thing. OK, to say that he made mistake(tyre problem or whatever) somewhere, he have one bad lap. But, he didn't have time for another lap. In Q1 and Q2 he was in the track early(and it work well for him) and I thought that they learn the lesson ,but he made in Q3 the old mistake ,he get out late. This is his biggest mistake. Coming out late put more pressure on the driver. Almost all other drivers come very early in Q3 and did their lap. Some of them did two stints. But, they have time for another stint ,where Michael didn't have. He say they didn't manage to duplicate what they did in FP3. How this happen? Did they change something on the car, they should know what they did after FP3. But, as I said biggest mistake is not having time for another stint, just in case. He needed this another stint every Qualy this year. It is not shameful to come out early and to register a lap time.

#9698 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:29

9 May 2011

Totally agree with allen. Herbert sounds bitter and he is talking rubbish, in my view micheal schumacher is the best of all time and to compare the schumacher of now to the schumacher of old is ridiculus, old age and a three year gap are the reason why he not the same driver simple as that.

#9699 baddog

baddog

• 23,370 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:37

it's a bit embarrassing seeing him in a good car traveling in the middle of the field taking beatings from Sutil or Barrichello.

Well, as that is happening in your imagination only I wouldn't worry too much about it.. Neither of those drivers have been any serious competition for him this year, as they should not be. Michael's qualifying 3 performance and mistake at the start of the race are worthy of some criticism, but stop flat-out making stuff up

Advertisement

#9700 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 641 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:38

For me, while this race was no joy of joys and leaves me with the bitter aftertaste of that useless collision with Petrov, it wasn't a disaster either. Without that first pit stop, that took 30 seconds away from his time, he would have definitely been a contender for P6, which is one position less than Rosberg, who started second.

Yes, could've, would've, should've, just saying that this avalanche of bashing is not that justified. I understood it for China of last year, for Singapore, but he has not be off the pace in any of this year's races.

However, F1 is still a sport where results matter, so it is vital that Schumi can improve his conversion ratio of speed:points.