Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20770 replies to this topic

#9701 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,856 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 22:07

No but his statements arent right.

Tell me this had Schumacher not retired at the end of 2006 what would have happened? Kimi wouldn't have joined Ferrari and Michael would have won both the 2007 and the 2008 WDC in those cars. He was still a hell of a lot better then Massa in 2006.

The three year break has cost Michael a lot, he lost track of the developments and got out of the rhythem being in F1 and working on the car all day and every time. As Herbert said speedwise he is the same i also believe that, and the competition sure has got better but where is Alonso? Still fighting at the front and Michael was on equel terms (if not better) then Alonso when he retired. It's just a combination of things why it isn't working out like it can. Luck wise he hasn't had much ever since he returned, and when he does get the car to his liking he still is very very fast but it seems hard for him to get it just right.

There is no doubt in my mind had Schumacher raced until 2008 (when the cars were more to his liking and the we had refueling in the game), he would have easily been the World Champion.

Advertisement

#9702 jav

jav

• 197 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 22:24

I don't think that I was making excuses for Michael, I just say that he need to change something. Because, Qualy strategy is not working for him and he have to focus on that.
About Petrov I don't think that Michael knowing his own 3 stop strategy , he was trying to hit him or to mess with him. He let him go, and was ready to take outside line. But, Petrov didn't stop and continue straight. For me he hit Michael who started to turn on outside line. If Petrov was going to turn into the corner ,they wouldn't collide. For me it was Petrov rear tyre hitting Michael front tyre and changing his direction in the process. We see other drivers taking this corner by pairs. But, driver inside was taking the corner, not like Petrov was continuing straight.

I agree, he needs to change something but I don't believe there is anything he can do to be anything more than a good #2 driver. Maybe that's enough- but I doubt he'd be happy with that. Sorry- don't agree on the Petrov thing. MS drove into his rear wheel- Petrovs real wheel didn't turn into him... there is no rear wheel steering. Micheal made a mistake and he admitted that.

He also stated his goal for the year was to be as good as his team mate which would have been a great thing. One pushing the other. He's in worse shape than last year. Merc as a whole is in worse shape. Clearly, focusing on qualifying isn't enough as Nico qualified 3rd only to finish 5th - but at least I can believe Nico is squeezing the most out of the car.

I believe the Redbull is in it's own league but between Ferrari, Mclaren and Merc, I don't see the cars being all that different (NOW) and i think the driver can have an impact. Nico is doing that- for whatever reason, Micheal isn't. I sincerely hope he improves but if he doesn't, it would be irresponsible to go into next season with the same line up. Last year, the expectation of what Schumi "might be" was enough to push Nico. Soon, Nico will lose any sense of pressure and that will bad for him and the team. Micheal needs to raise his game or call the ball.

Edited by jav, 10 May 2011 - 22:29.

#9703 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,820 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 22:36

He's in worse shape than last year.

seriously? :) come on. did you actually watch him race?
he outraced nico once and lost out two times but that's about it.

his worst race is not that bad at all. one incident in a 21 overtaking maneuvers race. up until the last part of the race he was ~5 sec to Rosberg despite the fist longer pitstop (because of nose change)
obviously stopping on lap 2 and going so much back made things look worse.

#9704 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,888 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 22:46

his worst race is not that bad at all. one incident in a 21 overtaking maneuvers race. up until the last part of the race he was ~5 sec to Rosberg despite the fist longer pitstop (because of nose change)

Absolutely but don't they all just love bashing Michael Schumacher ? Always looking for an excuse to make sure he absolutely never ever dominates F1 again.
I think its an insecurity, they probably deep down know he's just as quick as the other drivers.

#9705 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 00:09

Reality Strikes For Schumacher
9 May 2011

"We have to be careful when ex drivers of a similar age to Schumacher say that his age has nothing to do with it, as Johnny Herbert has said this week, for instance, or Jacques Villeneuve has said several time. It is in their interests to say that as they are all hoping to get paid well to drive competitive cars in their 40s. I don’t think that Rosberg, Vettel and Hamilton are “better” than Schumcher, they are just better than he is now."

"I don’t go along with people who say that he’s damaging his legacy. He won seven world titles in his prime, no-one can take that away from him. There are one or two problems with his legacy anyway, due to controversies he got himself into, but what’s happening now has no impact on what he achieved before to my mind.

This period of return has simply been an epilogue, which has yet to find its sense of purpose."

http://www.jamesalle...for-schumacher/

Nice and fair article from Allen. The age is surely an issue no matter what the ex-rivals say.

Joe Saward settling accounts with Schumacher as well:

http://joesaward.wor...machers-future/

He focuses exactly on some of the points that bothered me with Schumi:

"Yes, he is the greatest of all time on paper. And there is no other way that such things can be measured, but that does not mean that he is the best of all time in the eyes of everyone. For me there were always too many question marks about him. I did not like his unethical driving moves. I did not like the way he managed his team-mates. I always felt that he would do anything to win – and that is not what I consider to be a good trait. The test of a great sportsman is how they lose, as much as how they win...."

" After a string of interviews trying to see a little of the real person beneath the facade, I gave up trying. It does not matter much if the press likes you if you are good at what you do, but it was how he did things that did not appeal to me. And yet I always felt that there was somewhere in there, a bloke who wanted the world to like him. He can turn on charm when he needs it, of course, but I have to say that I have always been wary of people who can turn it on and off like a light switch....."

´nuff said.

#9706 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 00:27

he also stated

As readers of the blog may have surmised I have never been a big Schumacher fan.

he also thinks Tonio is the best thing sinced sliced bread

nuff said

Edited by Raelene, 11 May 2011 - 01:43.

#9707 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 00:36

he also started it with saying he's not a Schumacher fan

nuff said..

don't mean to bust your chops, but, non-Schmacher fans have a right to an opinion and it is just as valid as the fan, they both offer a biased view......just sayin....

#9708 baddog

baddog

• 24,036 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:02

don't mean to bust your chops, but, non-Schmacher fans have a right to an opinion and it is just as valid as the fan, they both offer a biased view......just sayin....

Yes but writing yet another screed in which you pile in smack talking about him every time he has a bad performance.. in joe's (and johnny's for that matter) case for the 500th time.. just makes you look sad and obsessed.

#9709 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:05

Yes but writing yet another screed in which you pile in smack talking about him every time he has a bad performance.. in joe's (and johnny's for that matter) case for the 500th time.. just makes you look sad and obsessed.

still doesn't minimize the validity of his opinion, however sad and obsessed the person may seem, like it, or not.

#9710 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:44

exactly - and that's my point...

#9711 jav

jav

• 197 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:09

Of course I'm watching and have watched every race. AND - I'm a fan- but one who see's the facts. Last season at this time, he sat at 10 points with 1 retirement a 6th and (2) 10th pl finishes. This season he sits at 6 points with the best finish of 8th place, a 9th a 12th and the same one retirement. He also qualified better last year and made it to Q3 for EVERY one of the first 7 races - placing MUCH higher on the grid to this point in 2010- look it up.

These are the facts and they support that he and the team are in worse shape this year than they were last year at this time with a then admittedly botched car. You tell me what I'm not serious or factual about.

If you want to hear that he "looks" better or has been turning better laps or even that he's had some very good starts- yes I agree. BUT- no one with any analytical sense can say that he or MERC are in better shape this year than they were last year at the same time. They may have more potential but they have yet to deliver. Sorry- I REALLY DO wish it weren't so... but it is what it is.

Edited by jav, 11 May 2011 - 02:22.

#9712 marchi-91

marchi-91

• 440 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:20

I love that people are writing Michael off. ****ing love it! He'll make them eat their words atleast once this year. After his quite outstanding race at China where he managed to keep a supremely faster Ferrari of Alonso for nearly 10 laps behind him and Webber for 3 'everybody else struggled for 1' how can you say its been a failure. Meanwhile he supposedly superior team mate bends over at every possible moment to those faster then him.

#9713 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:23

I love that people are writing Michael off. ****ing love it! He'll make them eat their words atleast once this year. After his quite outstanding race at China where he managed to keep a supremely faster Ferrari of Alonso for nearly 10 laps behind him and Webber for 3 'everybody else struggled for 1' how can you say its been a failure. Meanwhile he supposedly superior team mate bends over at every possible moment to those faster then him.

oh, is that how it works? whoever finishes miles behind his teammate yet holds a faster car behind wins? No wonder!!!! :drunk:

#9714 jav

jav

• 197 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:28

Absolutely but don't they all just love bashing Michael Schumacher ? Always looking for an excuse to make sure he absolutely never ever dominates F1 again.
I think its an insecurity, they probably deep down know he's just as quick as the other drivers.

You're wrong. I'd like nothing better than to have MS dominate again. Look at my old posts- I'm a Schumi fan. But be real- there are extremists on both sides- haters who will never see, and fans who refuse to see in the face of over whelming facts. No one needs an excuse to make sure he doesn't dominate... he and the team are doing that on there own. If he were as quick as other drivers, he'd have more points and Merc wouldn't be 5th behind Renault. It's NOT bashing- it's facts.

#9715 black magic

black magic

• 3,962 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:56

the problem with the likes of the reporters struggling to understand michael despite numerous interviews is that they can tsee who is despite him standing right in front of them.

they have always wanted to see some machieavellian character, driven by demons, an arsehole and so on. his detractors love to suggest that his not wanting his team to be anything but organised to his way of thinking as being evidence of inferiority as opposed to what ammounts to the majority attitude. for goodness sake andretti left lotus when pettersen arrived, same with fittipaldi, etc etc.

all he is is a simple guy from very humble backgrounds and initially relatively unsophisticated. he has made errors of judgement but largely only in the heat of battle and not long contemplated. yes he has supreme confidenc in his own ability but name a driver who doesnt. he genuinely loves his wife and kids, has a poor dress sense, is very hard working and very loyal to his team.

sometimes the truth is staring you in the face.

sadly some cant separate the tight jaw and the at time shaughty appearance from the real person

#9716 Wade

Wade

• 426 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:57

I really hope before he retires for good, he gets a podium or heck -- a win. Let it happen please. That would be really great to see.

#9717 rommel

rommel

• 294 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:14

Herbert sounds like a total ass with his comments about Schumacher. He honestly sounds like some fanboy in a Hamilton vs Alonso argument. Except that he's an anti-Schumacher one. Anyway, just thought I'd share that I just lost lot of respect for a certain former teammate of Schumacher's.

There is a LOT of bad blood between Herbet and Schumacher, after he was destroyed at benetton in 1995 and treated poorly, so its natural for him to say the nonsense he has about Michael that he is still as good as ever. That's of course ridiculous. Michael should retire though, he is not even at the level of a standard F1 driver anymore, and is making Rosberg look like Fangio.

#9718 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:48

Herbert sounds like a total ass with his comments about Schumacher. He honestly sounds like some fanboy in a Hamilton vs Alonso argument. Except that he's an anti-Schumacher one. Anyway, just thought I'd share that I just lost lot of respect for a certain former teammate of Schumacher's.

herberts an idiot imo..

schumacher never had the speed and drivers are better than they were...

how are alonso , massa , button , webber etc doing so well then? schumacher schooled massa , was at the very least the equal of alonso , webber was pretty much an average driver back in the day and button wasnt seen as much better so the grid getting better than ever constantly imo is total horse crap.

schumacher is obviously knowhere near his peak for me that would have been the late 90's vs hakkinen

#9719 BelgianRaceFan

BelgianRaceFan

• 20 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:16

If i was Michael i would try to continue as long as he can to take the F1 Oldest winners record. :)
http://en.wikipedia....#Oldest_winners

Advertisement

#9720 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:07

If i was Michael i would try to continue as long as he can to take the F1 Oldest winners record. :)
http://en.wikipedia....#Oldest_winners

:up: Fully agree. Everything in the name of the records. On another thought , this will cost me much. :rotfl:
Just make some calculations and I found that just writing my posts here took me 11 days. Don't want to think how many months I lost in reading here. No , I am not obsessed.

Edited by ivand911, 11 May 2011 - 08:14.

#9721 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:53

I call his return; the sacrifice

And i luve it

#9722 BRK

BRK

• 3,653 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:23

Really didn't see anything this weekend to make it this melodramatic. He had a few scruffy battles with midfield GP2-style banzai drivers he should not have been fighting with in the first place, had good race pace, and pulled off some good moves himself including on on the outside of a turn in the first complex. No big deal.

He was downcast after the race and it's his comments that have got people talking (need something to talk about, I guess) and drawn the termites out of the wood, who cares. I expect to hear opinions from Moss as well, pretty soon.

#9723 rommel

rommel

• 294 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:29

Really didn't see anything this weekend to make it this melodramatic. He had a few scruffy battles with midfield GP2-style banzai drivers he should not have been fighting with in the first place, had good race pace, and pulled off some good moves himself including on on the outside of a turn in the first complex. No big deal.

He was downcast after the race and it's his comments that have got people talking (need something to talk about, I guess) and drawn the termites out of the wood, who cares. I expect to hear opinions from Moss as well, pretty soon.

Being outqualified by 1.1 seconds is not a big deal?
Is that how far standards have dropped for Schumacher these days?

#9724 Fortymark

Fortymark

• 5,809 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:06

Tell me this had Schumacher not retired at the end of 2006 what would have happened? Kimi wouldn't have joined Ferrari and Michael would have won both the 2007 and the 2008 WDC in those cars. He was still a hell of a lot better then Massa in 2006.

There´s absolutely no guarantee that Michael would have won the 2007 and 2008 title for Ferrari if he had stayed.
Alonso already beat him in 2006 despite having an inferior car, and Alonso in the McLaren together with Kimi in such case
would have been a disaster for Schumacher.

#9725 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:20

I call his return; the sacrifice

And i luve it

Schadenfreude

#9726 BRK

BRK

• 3,653 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:29

Being outqualified by 1.1 seconds is not a big deal?
Is that how far standards have dropped for Schumacher these days?

In case you hadn't noticed I was talking about the race and that's what I had in mind when I posted that.

Anyway: if you think a gap of 1.1 seconds and a laptime slower than his Q2 effort - therefore not an indication of his ultimate one lap pace at Turkey by far, including both Q2 and FP3 - is down to the driver alone you need to think again. Running wide and dirty tyres aren't a good enough reason to lose so much time over all sectors, aand he was slower and evidently struggling with the car in throughout qualifying, unlike in free practice 3. If he had improved on his Q2 time but was still a second off you could say he was that much slower, clearly not the case.

#9727 baddog

baddog

• 24,036 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:31

There´s absolutely no guarantee that Michael would have won the 2007 and 2008 title for Ferrari if he had stayed.
Alonso already beat him in 2006 despite having an inferior car

lol WUT

Fischella won a race in that car. it dominated a large part of the season. Inferior my ass.

#9728 rommel

rommel

• 294 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:47

lol WUT

Fischella won a race in that car. it dominated a large part of the season. Inferior my ass.

And Massa won a lot more in that Ferrari.

#9729 rommel

rommel

• 294 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:49

In case you hadn't noticed I was talking about the race and that's what I had in mind when I posted that.

Anyway: if you think a gap of 1.1 seconds and a laptime slower than his Q2 effort - therefore not an indication of his ultimate one lap pace at Turkey by far, including both Q2 and FP3 - is down to the driver alone you need to think again. Running wide and dirty tyres aren't a good enough reason to lose so much time over all sectors, aand he was slower and evidently struggling with the car in throughout qualifying, unlike in free practice 3. If he had improved on his Q2 time but was still a second off you could say he was that much slower, clearly not the case.

The races are messy and inconclusive especially when you are stuck midfield and fighting, it makes it impossible to compare pace with Rosberg, with the different strategies and tyres etc. Even his best Q2 effort was 6 tenths slower than Rosberg, so thats embaressing enough anyway. His tyres were not dirty, he just over drove the car and was slow, he even said so.

#9730 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:49

And Massa won a lot more in that Ferrari.

EH?

#9731 rommel

rommel

• 294 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:51

EH?

2006 Ferrari, massa won 2 races, which is more than Fisichella won in the Renault that year. He was making the point that Fisichella winning a race was evidence of a great car.

Edited by rommel, 11 May 2011 - 10:51.

#9732 Fortymark

Fortymark

• 5,809 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:55

lol WUT

Massa won 2 races, 3 poles and had 5 podiums in the Ferrari
against Fisis 1 win, 1 pole and 4 podiums.
Oh, yes the Ferrari/Bridgestone package was the one to have in 2006.

#9733 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:00

The races are messy and inconclusive especially when you are stuck midfield and fighting, it makes it impossible to compare pace with Rosberg, with the different strategies and tyres etc. Even his best Q2 effort was 6 tenths slower than Rosberg, so thats embaressing enough anyway. His tyres were not dirty, he just over drove the car and was slow, he even said so.

I can tell you what is embarrassing. Embarrassing is when you are not telling the truth. Check your facts right. Q2 times: Nico 1:25.801 , Michael 1:26.121. Not exactly 0,6 sec, isn't it?

#9734 rommel

rommel

• 294 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:04

I can tell you what is embarrassing. Embarrassing is when you are not telling the truth. Check your facts right. Q2 times: Nico 1:25.801 , Michael 1:26.121. Not exactly 0,6 sec, isn't it?

sorry I was thinking of their best qualifying times. Rosberg managed 25.5 eventually. Even 3 tenths slower is B grade.

#9735 baddog

baddog

• 24,036 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:04

Lol and what did massa do in 2007?

#9736 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:07

sorry I was thinking of their best qualifying times. Rosberg managed 25.5 eventually. Even 3 tenths slower is B grade.

You mean better then Webber, Button, Massa grade? In Q2 Michael was closer than them to his team mate. Michael have good Q2 lap on Lewis, Alonso level. What happen in Q3 is mystery for me, bit it was not normal. If he made mistake in his only fast lap, OK I can accept that. Everyone can make mistake. Massa and Heidfeld also didn't do well in their fast lap. Or he have again problem with something like DRS , but team decides not to go public about it. Especially after all talks about RW update. Or probably they didn't have any RW update, they just decided to keep mouth shut if problem arise. This is why Michael was not happy.

Edited by ivand911, 11 May 2011 - 11:17.

#9737 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:18

exactly - and that's my point...

So your point is.....that both your and my POV are biased. Didn´t we know that before?;)

We can agree to disagree - after all those years.

the problem with the likes of the reporters struggling to understand michael despite numerous interviews is that they can tsee who is despite him standing right in front of them.

they have always wanted to see some machieavellian character, driven by demons, an arsehole and so on. his detractors love to suggest that his not wanting his team to be anything but organised to his way of thinking as being evidence of inferiority as opposed to what ammounts to the majority attitude. for goodness sake andretti left lotus when pettersen arrived, same with fittipaldi, etc etc.

all he is is a simple guy from very humble backgrounds and initially relatively unsophisticated. he has made errors of judgement but largely only in the heat of battle and not long contemplated. yes he has supreme confidenc in his own ability but name a driver who doesnt. he genuinely loves his wife and kids, has a poor dress sense, is very hard working and very loyal to his team.

sometimes the truth is staring you in the face.

sadly some cant separate the tight jaw and the at time shaughty appearance from the real person

Yes, it also beats me how reporters and other weirdos like former teammates manage to not understand Michael, after having seen him face to face and talked to him personally, some of them for nearly 20 years, every second weekend. Whereas the casual couch potatoe and internet forum hero AKA fan, who has never seen Schumi or talked to him in person manages to understand what a wonderful person Michael is.

Sometimes truth is staring you in the face.

Edited by aditya-now, 11 May 2011 - 11:31.

#9738 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 10,124 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:19

The three year break has cost Michael a lot, he lost track of the developments and got out of the rhythem being in F1 and working on the car all day and every time. As Herbert said speedwise he is the same i also believe that, and the competition sure has got better but where is Alonso? Still fighting at the front and Michael was on equel terms (if not better) then Alonso when he retired. It's just a combination of things why it isn't working out like it can. Luck wise he hasn't had much ever since he returned, and when he does get the car to his liking he still is very very fast but it seems hard for him to get it just right.

I think there is evidence that MS was on the slide by 2005 actually. If he didn't win the title in 2006, ts not fair to say that he would have won the titles in 2007 or 2008 anymore than its not fair to say that had Senna not been killed, Schumacher may never have won a title until 1999 at the earliest, assuming Senna had taken the Ferrari deal offered for 1996... Amazing how someones reputation and statistics can be skewed by circumstance...

Its also bollocks to say that the competition is a lot better now. He doesn't have the best car now is the difference.

#9739 rommel

rommel

• 294 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:22

I think there is evidence that MS was on the slide by 2005 actually. If he didn't win the title in 2006, ts not fair to say that he would have won the titles in 2007 or 2008 anymore than its not fair to say that had Senna not been killed, Schumacher may never have won a title until 1999 at the earliest, assuming Senna had taken the Ferrari deal offered for 1996... Amazing how someones reputation and statistics can be skewed by circumstance...

Its also bollocks to say that the competition is a lot better now. He doesn't have the best car now is the difference.

The difference is that he has lost his speed. Even if he had the best car now it would not do him any good because Rosberg would still be dominating him. It is fair to say he would have won the titles in 2007 and 2008 unless you assume he would not have been able to beat Felipe Massa, the same driver he dominated a year earlier.

Advertisement

#9740 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:23

'Fighter' Schumi won't quit
http://www.planetf1....ow-In-The-Towel
Bad news for some people here. :rotfl:
Haug: Schumi will have fun in Spain
http://www.planetf1..../story/6925068/
Maybe Norb know something. Maybe Michael will have new chassis in Barcelona. He will have car equal to Nico's?

Edited by ivand911, 11 May 2011 - 11:26.

#9741 rommel

rommel

• 294 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:30

'Fighter' Schumi won't quit
http://www.planetf1....ow-In-The-Towel

Actually bad new for schumacher. More humiliation.

#9742 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:31

Michael is just 4 months younger than Mika Hakkinen. Mika thought he had reached the downslope at 2001. Maybe he reached it earlier. Maybe he never got as high as Michael and it was easier for him to see that competition was closing in. Maybe he was not as hungry for more success as Schumacher. Maybe it was the scary crash in the beginning of the season that made him realize it was time to stop. Still, I am sure that if Mika had felt he was still improving as a driver he would not have stepped off.

Schumacher had an extremely dominant car in the beginning of this century. Maybe he was lead to believe it was all him. He was good, really good, but maybe the car made it less obvious for him that he had in fact peaked. Then, when wins did not come easy no more, he thought it was the car...

I don't really mind him finishing this season, but if Mercedes keep him for 2012 they need to have their collective head examined.

#9743 thrillercd

thrillercd

• 85 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:31

:lol:

#9744 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:39

I would beg on my bald knees for him to stay in 2012, really.... he cannot leave!!!!

Please mercedes, make him stay!!!!

#9745 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 339 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:02

Yup, his fans....

Edited by Murdoch, 11 May 2011 - 12:03.

#9746 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:09

Yup, his fans....

Yeah, sure. I prefer him on the race track than to be commentator for TV. Or to see him from time to time on Grand Prix.
Why Schumacher's not done yet
http://plus.autospor...r-not-done-yet/
If somebody read this, can share with us?

What is going wrong with Michael Schumacher?
http://news.bbc.co.u...ne/13347579.stm

Edited by ivand911, 11 May 2011 - 12:30.

#9747 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 647 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:35

Autosport article basically says what I myself (and others) pointed out here, that is had he not lost his front wing against Petrov, he'd have ended up in front of Button, having run a better race than the Brit, who was also a three-stopper.

Also made a point about how it might have looked like Schumacher was being ridiculed on track at times, but that was only the consequence of the tire-chasm and not real battles for position.

Then a bit about the misfortunes in previous races/qualifying sessions and about MSC's lack of confidence in approaching turns, due to his DRS issues.

Nothing new, essentially.

Edited by PoliFanAthic, 11 May 2011 - 12:38.

#9748 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:48

Nothing new, essentially.

Thanks.

#9749 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 17,628 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 13:19

I would beg on my bald knees for him to stay in 2012, really.... he cannot leave!!!!

Please mercedes, make him stay!!!!

Well indeed. Schumie continuing to fight is an interesting experience for all of us. Those who see no wrong in him, will continue to hope that he rises to the top again, while those who do not can continue to hope he fails. It's win-win.

As someone who was both happy to see him back to see how he would do, and at the same time worried for the effect this might have on Rosberg, I feel a little bit torn between both.

I emphatically do not want to see Schumie continue to be trounced regardless of whether it is the car or his ability or poor strategy which gets him there. I'd really like to see the battle much closer because right now, I don't believe even Rosberg is feeling the exhileration of beating a great man. There were a few races late last year where it was close, so it promised a lot for this year. I hope he improves and makes Rosberg work for his money.

#9750 swiniodzik

swiniodzik

• 607 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 13:54

It's clear that Schumacher is notoriously struggling in qualifying but his race pace is better. That suggest he's kept himself in great shape physically and the body isn't the problem, the brain is. Lauda said that when you're driving automatically you're quick but once you need to think about what you're doing a bit more, you're not gonna be as quick anymore as when things were coming naturally to you. It seems like Michael just doesn't have that automatic mental edge in him anymore that allowed him to pull off stuff like Hungary '98, but there's no shame in that. Actually, the average qualifying gap between team-mates at Mercedes last year was only a tenth of a second bigger than at McLaren, so not bad at all.

I agree with the poster who said that his biggest problem today seems to be his attitude. It seems as if he believes he can be a match for Rosberg in terms of raw speed despite the evidence for that just not being there, and as a result over-drives the car over a single lap and hence under-performs in qualifying and it's often a vicious cycle from there as he has to start from the midfield where usually most incidents happen. He should do what Prost did against Senna, accept that qualifying is a lost battle and focus on trying to out-race the faster youngster through some clever driving with the help of a good strategy, more race-oriented setup etc.

If he can do that, I think he could give the faster Rosberg a good fight in terms of points gathering. Sure, when the come-back was announced the expectations from both the outside and the man himself were much higher, but if at 42 he puts up a good fight against a highly-rated 25-year-old competitior near his prime, that would be very respectable and could only strengthen his legacy in the eyes of many.