Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20770 replies to this topic

#9851 rommel

rommel

• 294 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:59

were it not for his q3 performances ms has been the match of rosberg come race day. the team knows and will be watching..

Considering the messy nature of races, traffic, different tyre wear phases, that statement would be very hard to determine as true. I don't rememeber many times I have seen Michael even as quick as rosberg in races apart from when he is on newer tyres. Even Q1, Q2, Q3 he is almost always slower then rosberg.

Advertisement

#9852 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:17

Considering the messy nature of races, traffic, different tyre wear phases, that statement would be very hard to determine as true. I don't rememeber many times I have seen Michael even as quick as rosberg in races apart from when he is on newer tyres. Even Q1, Q2, Q3 he is almost always slower then rosberg.

Nah man, that makes too much sense......

#9853 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:41

And this is not true for Rosberg too? Everyone is fast with new tyres. You can't compare driver performance in race any more. There is to many factors involved. Michael qualifying performance is his biggest problem. I just wonder , where were you all to point finger at Nico after his Malaysia race? Tragic showing, don't you think. And he didn't have a hit with somebody? One lap behind leader. Michael race inTurkey after the hit with Petrov was still much better than Nico's race in Malaysia.

Nah man, that makes too much sense..... :rotfl:

Edited by ivand911, 15 May 2011 - 07:50.

#9854 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:13

Schumacher crashes out in Australia; Nico runs a few laps longer than him = Nico demolishes Schumacher.

Schumacher beats Rosberg in Malaysia = Nico had a problem and should have destroyed Schumacher (no, it's true!)

Nico leads the race for 15 laps in China; ends up fifth; Schumacher starts 14th and ends up 8th; lap wise there isn't a great difference = Nico demolishes Schumacher

Schumacher has a silly accident with Petrov. Race pace he is better than most in the Top 10 - comparable to Jenson Button (second best car, equal to Hamilton and all that....). Nico isn't massively quicker = apparantly Nico demolises him again.

Too much hyperbole surround Schumacher. The team will be analysing his lap times and I dare say they see something different from all us armchair experts. Still, what do they know, eh?

#9855 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:34

Too much hyperbole surround Schumacher.

The only what is feeding him and his fans are his 7 titles and the glory of old days. But in his new career there isn't nothing what make him specially 'good'!

#9856 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:38

The only what is feeding him and his fans are his 7 titles and the glory of old days. But in his new career there isn't nothing what make him specially 'good'!

Only!! Give me another only example? It is good to have this only, what other have? Some have only two titles, and soon will be not the only one in F1 with two titles. And soon one of them will have three titles. But, it will be not your guy. I just don't know what is feeding you? Glory of old days too?

Edited by ivand911, 15 May 2011 - 09:44.

#9857 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:38

But apparently it's still "specially 'good'" to beat him. So good that Nico has turned into a god, because when he beats him by any margin or is pretty much equal he is trashing MSC, and when he gets beat its because of problems. :drunk:

Edited by Augurk, 15 May 2011 - 09:38.

#9858 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 18:53

But apparently it's still "specially 'good'" to beat him. So good that Nico has turned into a god, because when he beats him by any margin or is pretty much equal he is trashing MSC, and when he gets beat its because of problems. :drunk:

nah, I don't think Nico is a god for beating MSC.....

#9859 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 19:53

nah, I don't think Nico is a god for beating MSC.....

:confused: and why?? Looking the time they are driving in the same team...and heaven &hell is moved to bring the 'old' champion in front of him!

Advertisement

#9860 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 19:55

:confused: and why?? Looking the time they are driving in the same team...and heaven &hell is moved to bring the 'old' champion in front of him!

Cus I don't think beating an aging MSC is much to gloat about, certainly not enough to call him a god.

I expected Rosberg to beat him.

Edited by Birelman, 15 May 2011 - 19:56.

#9861 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 19:55

and heaven &hell is moved to bring the 'old' champion in front of him!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Oh my, you do live in another world!

#9862 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 20:13

Cus I don't think beating an aging MSC is much to gloat about, certainly not enough to call him a god.

I expected Rosberg to beat him.

But ever...and ever ...and ever everybody is saying this have NOTHING to do with age!!! :well:

#9863 cilurnum

cilurnum

• 1,686 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 20:21

Because he's still living off those said glory days and they're now coming back to haunt him in a way. Let's face it, Rosberg is not getting beat often and if there are any excuses thrown around they're all on the part of Schumacher - his F-duct or now DRS has been stuck for over a year now. :rolleyes:

It doesn't really have much to do with age either. The fact is that since Schumacher left, especially with the control tyre and lack of testing, his lack of raw behind-the-wheel talent has been shown up. No longer can he pound around Fiorano for thousands of miles to get things sorted and no longer can he go to Bridgestone and tell them to change the tyre. That doesn't detract much from his world championships, but his return to the sport and how he has faired have shown up just how those titles were won.

#9864 Bonaventura

Bonaventura

• 7,698 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 20:27

Because he's still living off those said glory days and they're now coming back to haunt him in a way. Let's face it, Rosberg is not getting beat often and if there are any excuses thrown around they're all on the part of Schumacher - his F-duct or now DRS has been stuck for over a year now. :rolleyes:

It doesn't really have much to do with age either. The fact is that since Schumacher left, especially with the control tyre and lack of testing, his lack of raw behind-the-wheel talent has been shown up. No longer can he pound around Fiorano for thousands of miles to get things sorted and no longer can he go to Bridgestone and tell them to change the tyre. That doesn't detract much from his world championships, but his return to the sport and how he has faired have shown up just how those titles were won.

And his 2 titles with Benetton were won because of....?? :stoned:

#9865 as65p

as65p

• 18,479 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 20:27

...his F-duct or now DRS has been stuck for over a year now.

That one made me chuckle! :D :up:

#9866 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 20:28

Because he's still living off those said glory days and they're now coming back to haunt him in a way.

:up:
.....and what will be said here when he ended the season like he began it??

#9867 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 20:28

But ever...and ever ...and ever everybody is saying this have NOTHING to do with age!!! :well:

LOL it's all his crazy fan's fault though. When he came back they were all sure Schumacher was going too blitz all these nublets into oblivion, they figured his age wasn't going to be a factor, that set the stage for them either, accepting age is a factor, or start the parade of excuses they have been parading. LOL it's hilarious!!

#9868 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 20:36

LOL it's all his crazy fan's fault though. When he came back they were all sure Schumacher was going too blitz all these nublets into oblivion, they figured his age wasn't going to be a factor, that set the stage for them either, accepting age is a factor, or start the parade of excuses they have been parading. LOL it's hilarious!!

As I recall many of his fans were aware age could, or would, be a factor. MS was already on the downslope by 2005, so the chances of him getting better when 5 years older still, with two years out of the car, weren't great. He's clearly well past his best; it's up to him and Merc to decide whether what he has to offer now is enough to justify continuing.

#9869 Clatter

Clatter

• 28,130 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 20:41

As I recall many of his fans were aware age could, or would, be a factor. MS was already on the downslope by 2005, so the chances of him getting better when 5 years older still, with two years out of the car, weren't great. He's clearly well past his best; it's up to him and Merc to decide whether what he has to offer now is enough to justify continuing.

My recollection is different. Seemed to me that most of his fans shouted anyone down who thought he was too old, or past it, or simply out of the game for too long. So far his come back has been more or less what I expected.

#9870 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 20:57

BLAH-BLAH-BLAH :rotfl:
And more BLAH-BLAH-BLAH pause BLAH-BLAH-BLAH. And again :rotfl: :lol: :p :wave: :wave:

Edited by ivand911, 15 May 2011 - 21:00.

#9871 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 20:58

My recollection is different. Seemed to me that most of his fans shouted anyone down who thought he was too old, or past it, or simply out of the game for too long. So far his come back has been more or less what I expected.

Some did, undoubtedly, but by no means all. Like you, I've got roughly what I expected. There was just no logical reason to think MS 2010 would be MS 2000 given he obvious decline before retirement.

#9872 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 21:04

And more BLAH-BLAH-BLAH pause BLAH-BLAH-BLAH. And again :rotfl: :lol: :p :wave: :wave:

Just wondering what this post was before you edited it? :lol:

#9873 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 21:13

:wave: why everything what is not kissing Schumi is "BLAH-BLAH....'??

#9874 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 21:28

Just wondering what this post was before you edited it? :lol:

It was shorter, I only add more BLAH-BLAH.

Because , for 1,5 year I hear everything, I doubt you will add something new. Or other guys.
To put it this way, without Michael this team will not have any fan base. Will be one very short thread, about Williams and Lotus big. So, I think to enjoy seeing Michael on the track , good or bad is better than 2007-2009 seasons for me. Yeah , and I don't go to other driver threads to say that they are not good and need to retire. It is below me. It is not my business.

#9875 Clatter

Clatter

• 28,130 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 21:41

You were right.

#9876 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 22:01

These posts really bother me. Cilurnum, have you watched any of schumi's races from before he was world champion? Some of his '91=93 drives were stunning. No special treatment, no superior car, no hours of testing, just bags and bags of raw talent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really, go check them out if you don't believe that once he was really something very special indeed.

#9877 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 22:17

Really, go check them out if you don't believe that once he was really something very special indeed.

But what has it to do with "THE NOW"???

#9878 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 22:40

It was shorter, I only add more BLAH-BLAH.

Because , for 1,5 year I hear everything, I doubt you will add something new. Or other guys.
To put it this way, without Michael this team will not have any fan base. Will be one very short thread, about Williams and Lotus big. So, I think to enjoy seeing Michael on the track , good or bad is better than 2007-2009 seasons for me. Yeah , and I don't go to other driver threads to say that they are not good and need to retire. It is below me. It is not my business.

Oh my! I will give you that without Michel Schumacher Mercedes would have maybe a smaller fanbase, but to say it wouldn't have ANY fanbase is pretty stupid. Mercedes is a classic in Formula 1, they'd have fans either way, and lots of them, I for one would be a fan is Schumacher wasn't in there

#9879 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 22:42

yeap, that seems to be their problem

Advertisement

#9880 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:48

I was in Turkey and I saw a lot of MS fans. A lot. They can be easily identified by their caps from 2000 to 2011(I also have 2004,2006 and 2010 cap). Not much MGP fans or Nico fans. But, I sow some Nico and MGP fans too.

Problem? I think you misunderstood this thread it is about MS it is not about "Rehabilitation thread for not MS fans after 2000-2004".

Edited by ivand911, 16 May 2011 - 06:59.

#9881 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:51

Come on guys, if you want to bash MSC you can do better than this! Stop the trolling. Everyone can read he was responding to someone claiming MSC never had the raw talent. He wasn't linking it to "THE NOW" at all.

#9882 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:53

I think it was pretty balanced at the time. I was cautious, didn't expect too much yet on the other hand thought "well if he believes he can do it who am I to say otherwise?". I don't recall people "shouting down". The tendency was more cautious / "(hope) he's (not) destroying his legacy".

#9883 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:58

There have been quite some excuses for lack of Schumacher's performance. But many have been clear to see to the naked eye. The DRS issue in China for instance, the f-duct issues last year, the absolutely horrible strategy calls in the majority of races last year, his chassis issues were clearly gone when he got a new chassis last year. I wouldn't be surprised if the same happens when he gets a new chassis this year, after all, he was also crashed into in AUS, yet still driving around with the same chassis.

But please don't tell me Rosberg has never used any excuses when he got beat. Heck, he even uses excuses when he isn't visibly a lot faster than MSC yet finishes in front.

Try to open your eyes to get a more balanced view. :up:

#9884 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:05

One cannot help but wonder if Nico Rosberg would be even quicker if he had a a more competitive guy in the number 2 driver seat.

#9885 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:07

One cannot help but wonder if Nico Rosberg would be even quicker if he had a a more competitive guy in the number 2 driver seat.

Don't you know he(Nico) have own thread???? Or you are what you are. :rotfl:

#9886 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:39

cilurnum's post could easily be interpreted as MS never having any raw talent, which I imagine was what spacekid was addressing. The fact that said talent has faded over the last 6 or 7 years seems pretty indisputable.

#9887 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:42

:rolleyes:
Cheap shot. He clearly has enough youthful hunger and challenge from chasing RB/Mac/Ferrari that he doesn't need motivating by an inter-team battle.

#9888 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:35

Right then fellow Schumi fans, Barcelona coming up next. Now I really do see this as make or break for Michael. He looked great in testing there, the car should have the tecnhical gremlins worked out, and he was decent there last year. If he can't produce the goods this weekend I really don't see where we go from here. I am almost not looking forward to the race weekend. Lets keep everything crossed that Michael can show us all that he still deserves his place on the grid on merit alone!!!

#9889 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:42

Right then fellow Schumi fans, Barcelona coming up next. Now I really do see this as make or break for Michael. He looked great in testing there, the car should have the tecnhical gremlins worked out, and he was decent there last year. If he can't produce the goods this weekend I really don't see where we go from here. I am almost not looking forward to the race weekend. Lets keep everything crossed that Michael can show us all that he still deserves his place on the grid on merit alone!!!

Got to agree. If it doesn't work this way I won't stop supporting him, but my hopes for any improvement will be gone. I'm hoping two things: 1. everything works and he won't be hindered by technical issues, 2. he delivers.

That should help him not be in the middle pack where (semi-)rookies can crash into them with their do-or-die moves. :)

Fingers crossed, and what an exciting weekend it will be.

#9890 Clatter

Clatter

• 28,130 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:24

One cannot help wondering why anyone truly thinks a drivers speed depends on who he is partnered with. NR is trying to challange those who are currently ahead of him, how MS is performing is just a bench mark, and doesn't make him drive slower.

#9891 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:32

That should help him not be in the middle pack where (semi-)rookies can crash into them with their do-or-die moves. :)

:well: Than is the danger that HE will crash the top drivers when he is more in the front......

#9892 Bonaventura

Bonaventura

• 7,698 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:34

:well: Than is the danger that HE will crash the top drivers when he is more in the front......

You don't trust the top drivers much

#9893 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:55

You don't trust the top drivers much

I don't trust Schumi! :stoned:
look here......

Edited by puxanando, 16 May 2011 - 10:56.

#9894 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:57

With big updates they will bring I am not sure there won't be technical problems. But, maybe one time he will be lucky with that. Because for me after seventh title he run seriously out of any luck. I think car behaviour on the track will be very different if they put all this updates. So , a lot of testing will be involved. They can move forward there or go back, will see. If they have Turkey car there I would agree that all depend on him now. He better deliver this time, or we will have hard 3-4 hours after the race, in this forum. :rotfl: Guys, don't go down.
What his legacy means? He is not freedom fighter, he is F1 world champion, he will not resolve World hunger. He have one life and better spend it the way he want. Better leave legacy thing to Senna. Better go there and try challenge young boys(and some not so young) instead to sorry about never trying that. I don't care about his legacy, he have enough money to not think about that. If he was thinking about that he would be too scared to come back. And he is not coming last in the races. If he was so slow and Virgin and HRT beat him I agree ,he past it. But, it is not the case. He get last time in Q3, have some clash with Petrov get 12th behind Ferrari. So , not biggie. Yeah, for sure if you get into Q3 you need to retire. You are useless. I need to remember that.

#9895 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:03

With big updates they will bring I am not sure there won't be technical problems. But, maybe one time he will be lucky with that. Because for me after seventh title he run seriously out of any luck. I think car behaviour on the track will be very different if they put all this updates. So , a lot of testing will be involved. They can move forward there or go back, will see. If they have Turkey car there I would agree that all depend on him now. He better deliver this time, or we will have hard 3-4 hours after the race, in this forum. :rotfl: Guys, don't go down.
What his legacy means? He is not freedom fighter, he is F1 world champion, he will not resolve World hunger. He have one life and better spend it the way he want. Better leave legacy thing to Senna. Better go there and try challenge young boys(and some not so young) instead to sorry about never trying that. I don't care about his legacy, he have enough money to not think about that. If he was thinking about that he would be too scared to come back. And he is not coming last in the races. If he was so slow and Virgin and HRT beat him I agree ,he past it. But, it is not the case. He get last time in Q3, have some clash with Petrov get 12th behind Ferrari. So , not biggie. Yeah, for sure if you get into Q3 you need to retire. You are useless. I need to remember that.

Hmmmm. Well as far as I know the updates will be aero bits. What I mean is hopefully the KERS and DRS activation bugs will be all ironed out. The team have certainly had enough time to get on top of it.

Its not a case of if Michael isn't on it he should retire. But at some point we have to accept he has lost his mojo forever, and for me I think this will be a huge weekend. I really did think after the Barcelona test session a corner had been turned and he was finding some of his old pace again. If it isnt there this weekend its never coming back, and I think he will have to fight harder to justify his place on the grid on merit. Being slower than Nico is no disgrace - Nico is a great driver - but is it really good enough for Michael?

#9896 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:08

Hmmmm. Well as far as I know the updates will be aero bits. What I mean is hopefully the KERS and DRS activation bugs will be all ironed out. The team have certainly had enough time to get on top of it.

Its not a case of if Michael isn't on it he should retire. But at some point we have to accept he has lost his mojo forever, and for me I think this will be a huge weekend. I really did think after the Barcelona test session a corner had been turned and he was finding some of his old pace again. If it isnt there this weekend its never coming back, and I think he will have to fight harder to justify his place on the grid on merit. Being slower than Nico is no disgrace - Nico is a great driver - but is it really good enough for Michael?

I hear different things about updates ,we will see. But if this include Renault FEE, this is big update. Maybe new floor, sidepods, new cooling, new engine cover. They also said about suspension changes. Check MGP thread.

I don't trust Schumi! :stoned:
look here......

I need to see last year Abu Dhabi episode. If they have one.
Edit: I see it , it was great.

Edited by ivand911, 16 May 2011 - 11:14.

#9897 rommel

rommel

• 294 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:11

Bit late for all of this. We are well into the second season. Michael has shown what he has a long time ago and it aint much anymore.

#9898 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:20

Bit late for all of this. We are well into the second season. Michael has shown what he has a long time ago and it aint much anymore.

I suppose I am still hanging on to the last scraps of hope he can get some strong performances together.

Those scraps are;

i) Strong pre season test pace in Barcelona
ii) Good all round performance Malaysia race weekend
iii) Good race in China
iv) Failiure to get into Q3 in Australia Malaysia and China can be explained by car glitches on critial laps
v) Strong practise form in Turkey ruined by costly mistake in Q3 by Michael. **** happens.
vi) Race pace hampered by iv and v.

My point being there have been rays of hope, and it has been possible to sort of convince myself that apart from that Q3 mistake in Turkey Michael has been unfortunate not to be able to show his true pace in competition. If I sort of close one eye and squint at it a bit funny. Sort of.

Like I said they have been scraps of hope that he could show a decent turn of speed this year in the right circumstances. I believe that Barcelona will be the right circumstances. I'll be honest - I'm not optimistic. I shall be watching quali from behind a cushion, and my soul is prepared for P11. But I really am hoping for more.

#9899 JustinCider

JustinCider

• 836 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:32

I suppose I am still hanging on to the last scraps of hope he can get some strong performances together.

Those scraps are;

i) Strong pre season test pace in Barcelona
ii) Good all round performance Malaysia race weekend
iii) Good race in China
iv) Failiure to get into Q3 in Australia Malaysia and China can be explained by car glitches on critial laps
v) Strong practise form in Turkey ruined by costly mistake in Q3 by Michael. **** happens.
vi) Race pace hampered by iv and v.

My point being there have been rays of hope, and it has been possible to sort of convince myself that apart from that Q3 mistake in Turkey Michael has been unfortunate not to be able to show his true pace in competition. If I sort of close one eye and squint at it a bit funny. Sort of.

Like I said they have been scraps of hope that he could show a decent turn of speed this year in the right circumstances. I believe that Barcelona will be the right circumstances. I'll be honest - I'm not optimistic. I shall be watching quali from behind a cushion, and my soul is prepared for P11. But I really am hoping for more.

Good luck to you for hanging in there, but how many more "one last chance"(s) can Schumacher be given ?

I wasn't a fan of Schumacher (to say the least) in his first career, and I'm indifferent to his comeback, but I couldn't help but feel a little sorry for him at Turkey. His performance was embarrasing to say the least.

Advertisement

#9900 cilurnum

cilurnum

• 1,686 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:13

And his 2 titles with Benetton were won because of....?? :stoned:

Same difference. Undisputed number 1 status and no competition, lots of testing, a certain amount of help from traction control and a bunch of competent engineers doing things for him which Mercedes seem to lack. Now that the playing field has been levelled again he's not looking particularly special.

Hell, the guy is a talented driver and he won his titles through a ton of hard work and bending things to his will that other drivers just weren't prepared to do. Fair play to him. However, he just wasn't realistic about why exactly he'd won before when he decided to make this comeback.

I felt sorry for him at Turkey as well. The Mercedes has started to look better but qualifying was a disaster (being a second off means he got trounced by Rosberg) and the race....... Those defensive moves were just absolutely terrible.

EDIT: Jock Clear had a point when he said that Schumacher has spent most of his career avoiding pressure wherever e could.

Edited by cilurnum, 16 May 2011 - 12:16.