Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20770 replies to this topic

#9951 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:07

Schumacher can't be perfect, everybody failed under pressure, EVERYBODY. Why you don't talk about the race who Schumacher won under massive pressure ? Imola 2003 ? Monza 98 ? Barcelona 96 ?Monza 96 ?

What is your point ? Why you **** up this thread ?

With that attitude I think you should request this thread is moved to the Nostalgia Forum but there you would have to take flak from admirers of truly great drivers with untarnished records like Nuvolari, Fangio, Moss, Clark and Mario Andretti, alternatively start a new thread entitled "Schumacher Cult Members Only".

Advertisement

#9952 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:09

With that attitude I think you should request this thread is moved to the Nostalgia Forum but there you would have to take flak from admirers of truly great drivers with untarnished records like Nuvolari, Fangio, Moss, Clark and Mario Andretti, alternatively start a new thread entitled "Schumacher Cult Members Only".

:up:
thinking like this nearly all time reading in this thread. :drunk:

#9953 Scotracer

Scotracer

• 2,813 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:14

Just let it be Sunday already!

#9954 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:17

I doubt we will see anybody crying, ever

mika hakkinen cried

#9955 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:31

I hope Clear will stay at factory this time. He is bringing Michael bad luck. :p

Does it matter for the speed of Miachael?

reflecting, one thing I fear is that Michael Schumacher finally wins a GP and all over sudden his instinct wakes up and wew see the giant again... Amen for this ...

#9956 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:37

Does it matter for the speed of Miachael?

reflecting, one thing I fear is that Michael Schumacher finally wins a GP and all over sudden his instinct wakes up and wew see the giant again... Amen for this ...

Amen.

Schumacher can't be perfect, everybody failed under pressure, EVERYBODY. Why you don't talk about the race who Schumacher won under massive pressure ? Imola 2003 ? Monza 98 ? Barcelona 96 ?Monza 96 ?
What is your point ? Why you **** up this thread ?

And some people failed even without pressure. A lot of them actually. :p

Edited by ivand911, 18 May 2011 - 12:40.

#9957 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:40

One cannot help but wonder if Nico Rosberg would be even quicker if he had a a more competitive guy in the number 2 driver seat.

The writing┬┤s on the wall - Paul di Resta in the #2 seat, which will keep Nico more honest than he expects - next year.

As for Michael, they will find some befitting role for him, ambassador of the sport, greatest racer of all time, and have him drive the Mercedes car for some show cases. Of course, this will not be what Michael considers "fun", but, what shall he do? Driving in F1 isn't fun for him either right now. Maybe best he returns to amateur motorcycle racing....

#9958 ed24f1

ed24f1

• 1,078 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:44

I wonder if the off-throttle exhaust gases are what hurt Schumacher in qualifying last weekend?

He was going fine in FP3, but when they turned the system to somewhere close to 100%, it completely changed the drivability of the car, and Schumacher couldn't adapt fast enough.

#9959 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:47

I wonder if the off-throttle exhaust gases are what hurt Schumacher in qualifying last weekend?
He was going fine in FP3, but when they turned the system to somewhere close to 100%, it completely changed the drivability of the car, and Schumacher couldn't adapt fast enough.

Stop it. :rotfl: Now some guys here will say that he called his old buddy to arrange certain things for him. That all this "off-throttle exhaust gases saga" started from Michael. And FIA ban it because of him.

Edited by ivand911, 18 May 2011 - 12:50.

Advertisement

#9960 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:49

Please avoid discussion of Schumi v Senna please.

That would be going down memory lane far, very far....

It's great we have Schumi in the field right now for what he is, a symbol and a connecting link between the times of Prost, Senna, Mansell, Piquet and the times of Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton, Rosberg, which is a most amazing feat in itself. That is IMHO his real achievement right now, to span so many eras and still be there, partially even competitive.

At the same time it is clear that he doesn't cut it anymore and he also doesn't have fun anymore. Of course, that could change were he to drive a Red Bull and had his team mate contractually at bay, like it used to be. In this case, Schumi would not only be winning races, but the WDC as well. Alas, alas, he has more than exhausted his good karma in this respect, probably for the next few incarnations....

#9961 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:53

The writing┬┤s on the wall - Paul di Resta in the #2 seat, which will keep Nico more honest than he expects - next year.

As for Michael, they will find some befitting role for him, ambassador of the sport, greatest racer of all time, and have him drive the Mercedes car for some show cases. Of course, this will not be what Michael considers "fun", but, what shall he do? Driving in F1 isn't fun for him either right now. Maybe best he returns to amateur motorcycle racing....

I think Di Resta might keep Nico more than honest, I think he'll be kickin the living crap out of Nico, really.

#9962 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:54

LOL

#9963 ed24f1

ed24f1

• 1,078 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:57

LOL

The last sentence was probably poorly worded, in that it came across as fact when it was supposed to be a hypothetical.

Many others have commented on how this system has changed the dynamics between Vettel and Webber.

#9964 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 13:06

The last sentence was probably poorly worded, in that it came across as fact when it was supposed to be a hypothetical.

Many others have commented on how this system has changed the dynamics between Vettel and Webber.

actually, what I found funny was the first sentence, but, ok :)

#9965 ed24f1

ed24f1

• 1,078 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 13:34

actually, what I found funny was the first sentence, but, ok :)

It does sound a little like a foaming fanboy's excuses, but it wasn't intended to be that way.

It just seemed unusual, for any driver, that there was such a big gap between practice and qualifying performance. And now we have further details of a system which teams experiment with in qualifying, and potentially changes the handling of the car. I was just maybe linking some dots with a long bow (and that's enough cliches for now)

Maybe he just choked...

#9966 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 13:56

It does sound a little like a foaming fanboy's excuses, but it wasn't intended to be that way.

It just seemed unusual, for any driver, that there was such a big gap between practice and qualifying performance. And now we have further details of a system which teams experiment with in qualifying, and potentially changes the handling of the car. I was just maybe linking some dots with a long bow (and that's enough cliches for now)

Maybe he just choked...

Well, Ockham's Razor man!

It may just be he failed to harness his speed in Q3, completely understandable given his age and all.

#9967 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 14:03

Excuses excuses excuses....... Bring on Barcelona.

I am for 90% sure, there will be more excuses.... wanna bet?

#9968 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 14:10

Prediction for MSC at Barcelona? Top 6 qualifying - top 6 race finish.

#9969 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 14:11

That's at least what he's "supposed" to do if he does it right......

#9970 Afterburner

Afterburner

• 4,214 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 14:23

As a working prediction I have him in the Top 10 for both sessions. Very bold, I know. :p I'll refine it more when we see the times from Friday Practice.

#9971 Massa

Massa

• 5,187 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 14:43

11 in quali, great start, and 7or 8 in race

#9972 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 14:46

11 in quali, great start, and 7or 8 in race

Really? I think they will be top 6 quali.

#9973 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 14:52

Top 4 in the race.

#9974 SparkPlug

SparkPlug

• 491 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 15:00

I think Di Resta might keep Nico more than honest, I think he'll be kickin the living crap out of Nico, really.

Thats a bold statement to make. Your assumption is based on, what exactly ?

#9975 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 15:04

As a working prediction I have him in the Top 10 for both sessions. Very bold, I know. :p I'll refine it more when we see the times from Friday Practice.

This FP performance is not working for him - that's the record until now in 2011. I wonder who is really involved in his race set-up, because the Sat/Sund results calls for the Interpol to get involved.

#9976 ed24f1

ed24f1

• 1,078 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 15:25

Well, Ockham's Razor man!

It may just be he failed to harness his speed in Q3, completely understandable given his age and all.

Yes, and it wouldn't be the first time that had happened.

Monaco will be a big test of where his mental side is at, I think.

#9977 Afterburner

Afterburner

• 4,214 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 15:49

This FP performance is not working for him - that's the record until now in 2011. I wonder who is really involved in his race set-up, because the Sat/Sund results calls for the Interpol to get involved.

Well, between the times Schumacher and Rosberg set, I'm planning to get an idea of the pace that the W02's new upgrades will give (if any) before I conclude anything more than a Top 10 qualification and finish--so Friday pace will be important in the basis of any other prediction I may come to make. :p

#9978 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 759 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 16:09

What Michael has to do is sort qualifying sufficiently to get himself out of the range of idiots like Petrov, Barrichello, et al, at the start. The race will take care of itself. He must improve qualy.

#9979 ed24f1

ed24f1

• 1,078 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 16:26

What Michael has to do is sort qualifying sufficiently to get himself out of the range of idiots like Petrov, Barrichello, et al, at the start. The race will take care of itself. He must improve qualy.

I think Petrov in particular would be saying the same thing about Michael!

Advertisement

#9980 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 18:14

lol :up:

#9981 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 18:16

Well, between the times Schumacher and Rosberg set, I'm planning to get an idea of the pace that the W02's new upgrades will give (if any) before I conclude anything more than a Top 10 qualification and finish--so Friday pace will be important in the basis of any other prediction I may come to make. :p

I think with testing updates in Friday their pace will be not genuine. And Michael and Nico will have for sure different programs.

Edited by ivand911, 18 May 2011 - 18:17.

#9982 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 19:46

Maybe Petrov's thinking could be more productive and his future with F1 little less wobbly, if he improves his driving skills. He is no position right now to talk to much, because there are some young backmarkers who could replace him and probably yield better results. It takes two to tango, and his drive in last race did not impressed me at all. I am not sure why Michael even bother to say anything about it in public.

#9983 MonzaF1

MonzaF1

• 487 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 00:22

Maybe Petrov's thinking could be more productive and his future with F1 little less wobbly, if he improves his driving skills. He is no position right now to talk to much, because there are some young backmarkers who could replace him and probably yield better results. It takes two to tango, and his drive in last race did not impressed me at all. I am not sure why Michael even bother to say anything about it in public.

Since when is Petrov's future in f1 wobbly? He is equal on points to Heidfeld and he has outqualified the German driver 3 to 1. His grid positions have been quite good considering where the team is.

Also, he is signed to a two year contract and has done nothing to suggest that he will not be with the team until the end of 2012.

Which backmerkers are you referring to??

#9984 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:35

Since when is Petrov's future in f1 wobbly? He is equal on points to Heidfeld and he has outqualified the German driver 3 to 1. His grid positions have been quite good considering where the team is.

Also, he is signed to a two year contract and has done nothing to suggest that he will not be with the team until the end of 2012.

Which backmerkers are you referring to??

PETROV IS MY HERO!!!!!! lol

First he screwed up Alonso's Abu Dhabi doo last year, and now appears to have a magnet with a serious attraction with Schumacher!!!! I love it!!!

#9985 kosmos

kosmos

• 8,475 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:43

Posted Image

#9986 baddog

baddog

• 24,022 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:22

Lol good old autosport. In next months issue, 'How awesome are mclaren?' and 'Interview with a superhero, how much greater is Lewis than all those foreigners though eh?'

#9987 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:54

Lol good old autosport. In next months issue, 'How awesome are mclaren?' and 'Interview with a superhero, how much greater is Lewis than all those foreigners though eh?'

You're right, that magazine cover is just plain wrong, they need to remove that banner that says "The Great Debate" :rotfl:

#9988 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:31

You're right, that magazine cover is just plain wrong, they need to remove that banner that says "The Great Debate" :rotfl:

:rotfl: He's had a pretty good chance to show his stuff. If as you seem to think Birelman, :lol: Nico = good rookie then Michael is struggling top 10 in a potential podium car. That would be immediate resign.

However I think this is a wrong supposition. Nico is in all likelihood a Vettel with fewer brain explosions. The car is about 3rd/4th best so drivers 1 and 2 should be generallly a pass mark when they are 5th - 7th fastest on grid/race. This would have Nico above the benchmark (of the top 8 drivers) and Michael below the benchmark. Michael's performances looked better in the last 4 races of 2010 but this was probably enhanced by Nico's indifferent form and a slice of bad luck. Interesting to note that when the car has been most competitive it has been Nico who has really shone (Turkey 2011 is just one example). When the car is dire, Michael seems to shade Nico, just as happened in the 2006 season at Williams with Webber.

Michael's consistency is poor. His best results are below Nico's and his qualifying is terrible. Unless there is real cause (not just blind optimism) to expect him to dramatically improve, he should be getting ready to retire. 2012 looks a long way off.

#9989 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:22

Some pictures from Turkey:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by ivand911, 19 May 2011 - 08:25.

#9990 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:30

:rotfl: He's had a pretty good chance to show his stuff. If as you seem to think Birelman, :lol: Nico = good rookie then Michael is struggling top 10 in a potential podium car. That would be immediate resign.

However I think this is a wrong supposition. Nico is in all likelihood a Vettel with fewer brain explosions. The car is about 3rd/4th best so drivers 1 and 2 should be generallly a pass mark when they are 5th - 7th fastest on grid/race. This would have Nico above the benchmark (of the top 8 drivers) and Michael below the benchmark. Michael's performances looked better in the last 4 races of 2010 but this was probably enhanced by Nico's indifferent form and a slice of bad luck. Interesting to note that when the car has been most competitive it has been Nico who has really shone (Turkey 2011 is just one example). When the car is dire, Michael seems to shade Nico, just as happened in the 2006 season at Williams with Webber.

Michael's consistency is poor. His best results are below Nico's and his qualifying is terrible. Unless there is real cause (not just blind optimism) to expect him to dramatically improve, he should be getting ready to retire. 2012 looks a long way off.

I agree. If he doesn't improve or show something impressive this year (a podium etc) then I think he will go himself. Hulkenberg or someone else deserve the seat far more. MS would serve better as a technical guy or an ambassador and I really don't think his 2010- stint affects his legacy at all personally (same was Muhammad Ali is still revered despite losing 3 out of his last 5 fights, two to C-level fighters) like Spinks and Berbick

on a side note: MS' speed isn't bad at all - he is still quick - however bad result after bad result must knock the confidence.

I am all in favour of a second (permanant) retirement.

#9991 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:35

Nicht immer, aber immer ofter: P11 @ Barca.

#9992 as65p

as65p

• 18,466 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:02

on a side note: MS' speed isn't bad at all - he is still quick - however bad result after bad result must knock the confidence.

I am all in favour of a second (permanant) retirement.

There is no doubt that he can still turn in pretty quick laps, which is no mean achievement in itself considering his age and the three year break. The problem is rather the expectations I guess: from himself, the team and the fans, everyone expected the same guy to turn up that left in 2006, but the harsh reality is that he lost a little bit, performance and consistency. And losing a little bit of that makes all the difference in F1 between frontrunner and midfielder. It also drags him into secondary, follow-up problems that he probably experiences for the first time in his career.

OTOH I've already seen some fans adjust their scale, so that one podium will now be considered a proper justification for the whole comeback adventure and prove that he's still got it. :p

Edited by as65p, 19 May 2011 - 10:05.

#9993 rommel

rommel

• 294 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:08

:Nico is in all likelihood a Vettel with fewer brain explosions.

What has Rosberg done to warrant that lofty claim? The only drivers he has beaten are Nakajima and an old Schumacher.

#9994 Clatter

Clatter

• 28,129 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:08

There is no doubt that he can still turn in pretty quick laps, which is no mean achievement in itself considering his age and the three year break. The problem is rather the expectations I guess: from himself, the team and the fans, everyone expected the same guy to turn up that left in 2006, but the harsh reality is that he lost a little bit, performance and consistency. And losing a little bit of that makes all the difference in F1 between frontrunner and midfielder. It also drags him into secondary, follow-up problems that he probably experiences for the first time in his career.

The fact that he can do reasonably fast laps is no real surprise, but in F1 it's the 10th's and 100th's that make the difference and that's what is missing. IMHO 3 years away is simply too long and I don't believe he will regain that edge. He might have a lucky race or 2, but over the course of the season he will be behind the curve.

#9995 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:49

What has Rosberg done to warrant that lofty claim? The only drivers he has beaten are Nakajima and an old Schumacher.

Rosberg is getting the best out of the machinery he has been given, perhaps elevating it to better finishes than it deserves which is considerably better than than the number 2 driver at Mercedes has manged Schumacher can't even manage his tyre use and is turning in a few fastish laps by burning up his tyres.

Rosberg's skill level would really be shown if he has Di Resta as a team mate, personally I suspect they would be pretty evenly matched.

#9996 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:53

Guys, do you know there is Nico vs Michael thread? Go there.

#9997 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:31

Guys, do you know there is Nico vs Michael thread? Go there.

You can't ignore an "Elephant in the Room" no matter how much you might want to....................

#9998 albertini

albertini

• 225 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:55

Interesting interview in El Pais:
MS interview

#9999 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 13:09

Interesting interview in El Pais:
MS interview

It is good. :up:
http://translate.goo.....pepidep_1/Tes

Advertisement

#10000 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 16:13

Why Autosport needs to write "Schumacher denies...", instead simply Schumacher remains or continues, or "is not". Always that vitriolic tone. Is this something asspociated with Brits?