Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#10001 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 19:46

I think Petrov in particular would be saying the same thing about Michael!

Maybe Petrov's thinking could be more productive and his future with F1 little less wobbly, if he improves his driving skills. He is no position right now to talk to much, because there are some young backmarkers who could replace him and probably yield better results. It takes two to tango, and his drive in last race did not impressed me at all. I am not sure why Michael even bother to say anything about it in public.

Advertisement

#10002 MonzaF1

MonzaF1

• 487 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 00:22

Maybe Petrov's thinking could be more productive and his future with F1 little less wobbly, if he improves his driving skills. He is no position right now to talk to much, because there are some young backmarkers who could replace him and probably yield better results. It takes two to tango, and his drive in last race did not impressed me at all. I am not sure why Michael even bother to say anything about it in public.

Since when is Petrov's future in f1 wobbly? He is equal on points to Heidfeld and he has outqualified the German driver 3 to 1. His grid positions have been quite good considering where the team is.

Also, he is signed to a two year contract and has done nothing to suggest that he will not be with the team until the end of 2012.

Which backmerkers are you referring to??

#10003 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:35

Since when is Petrov's future in f1 wobbly? He is equal on points to Heidfeld and he has outqualified the German driver 3 to 1. His grid positions have been quite good considering where the team is.

Also, he is signed to a two year contract and has done nothing to suggest that he will not be with the team until the end of 2012.

Which backmerkers are you referring to??

PETROV IS MY HERO!!!!!! lol

First he screwed up Alonso's Abu Dhabi doo last year, and now appears to have a magnet with a serious attraction with Schumacher!!!! I love it!!!

#10004 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,413 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:43

Posted Image

#10005 baddog

baddog

• 23,626 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:22

Lol good old autosport. In next months issue, 'How awesome are mclaren?' and 'Interview with a superhero, how much greater is Lewis than all those foreigners though eh?'

#10006 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:54

Lol good old autosport. In next months issue, 'How awesome are mclaren?' and 'Interview with a superhero, how much greater is Lewis than all those foreigners though eh?'

You're right, that magazine cover is just plain wrong, they need to remove that banner that says "The Great Debate" :rotfl:

#10007 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:31

You're right, that magazine cover is just plain wrong, they need to remove that banner that says "The Great Debate" :rotfl:

:rotfl: He's had a pretty good chance to show his stuff. If as you seem to think Birelman, :lol: Nico = good rookie then Michael is struggling top 10 in a potential podium car. That would be immediate resign.

However I think this is a wrong supposition. Nico is in all likelihood a Vettel with fewer brain explosions. The car is about 3rd/4th best so drivers 1 and 2 should be generallly a pass mark when they are 5th - 7th fastest on grid/race. This would have Nico above the benchmark (of the top 8 drivers) and Michael below the benchmark. Michael's performances looked better in the last 4 races of 2010 but this was probably enhanced by Nico's indifferent form and a slice of bad luck. Interesting to note that when the car has been most competitive it has been Nico who has really shone (Turkey 2011 is just one example). When the car is dire, Michael seems to shade Nico, just as happened in the 2006 season at Williams with Webber.

Michael's consistency is poor. His best results are below Nico's and his qualifying is terrible. Unless there is real cause (not just blind optimism) to expect him to dramatically improve, he should be getting ready to retire. 2012 looks a long way off.

#10008 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:22

Some pictures from Turkey:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by ivand911, 19 May 2011 - 08:25.

#10009 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,218 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:30

:rotfl: He's had a pretty good chance to show his stuff. If as you seem to think Birelman, :lol: Nico = good rookie then Michael is struggling top 10 in a potential podium car. That would be immediate resign.

However I think this is a wrong supposition. Nico is in all likelihood a Vettel with fewer brain explosions. The car is about 3rd/4th best so drivers 1 and 2 should be generallly a pass mark when they are 5th - 7th fastest on grid/race. This would have Nico above the benchmark (of the top 8 drivers) and Michael below the benchmark. Michael's performances looked better in the last 4 races of 2010 but this was probably enhanced by Nico's indifferent form and a slice of bad luck. Interesting to note that when the car has been most competitive it has been Nico who has really shone (Turkey 2011 is just one example). When the car is dire, Michael seems to shade Nico, just as happened in the 2006 season at Williams with Webber.

Michael's consistency is poor. His best results are below Nico's and his qualifying is terrible. Unless there is real cause (not just blind optimism) to expect him to dramatically improve, he should be getting ready to retire. 2012 looks a long way off.

I agree. If he doesn't improve or show something impressive this year (a podium etc) then I think he will go himself. Hulkenberg or someone else deserve the seat far more. MS would serve better as a technical guy or an ambassador and I really don't think his 2010- stint affects his legacy at all personally (same was Muhammad Ali is still revered despite losing 3 out of his last 5 fights, two to C-level fighters) like Spinks and Berbick

on a side note: MS' speed isn't bad at all - he is still quick - however bad result after bad result must knock the confidence.

I am all in favour of a second (permanant) retirement.

#10010 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:35

Nicht immer, aber immer ofter: P11 @ Barca.

#10011 as65p

as65p

• 17,795 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:02

on a side note: MS' speed isn't bad at all - he is still quick - however bad result after bad result must knock the confidence.

I am all in favour of a second (permanant) retirement.

There is no doubt that he can still turn in pretty quick laps, which is no mean achievement in itself considering his age and the three year break. The problem is rather the expectations I guess: from himself, the team and the fans, everyone expected the same guy to turn up that left in 2006, but the harsh reality is that he lost a little bit, performance and consistency. And losing a little bit of that makes all the difference in F1 between frontrunner and midfielder. It also drags him into secondary, follow-up problems that he probably experiences for the first time in his career.

OTOH I've already seen some fans adjust their scale, so that one podium will now be considered a proper justification for the whole comeback adventure and prove that he's still got it. :p

Edited by as65p, 19 May 2011 - 10:05.

#10012 rommel

rommel

• 294 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:08

:Nico is in all likelihood a Vettel with fewer brain explosions.

What has Rosberg done to warrant that lofty claim? The only drivers he has beaten are Nakajima and an old Schumacher.

#10013 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,686 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:08

There is no doubt that he can still turn in pretty quick laps, which is no mean achievement in itself considering his age and the three year break. The problem is rather the expectations I guess: from himself, the team and the fans, everyone expected the same guy to turn up that left in 2006, but the harsh reality is that he lost a little bit, performance and consistency. And losing a little bit of that makes all the difference in F1 between frontrunner and midfielder. It also drags him into secondary, follow-up problems that he probably experiences for the first time in his career.

The fact that he can do reasonably fast laps is no real surprise, but in F1 it's the 10th's and 100th's that make the difference and that's what is missing. IMHO 3 years away is simply too long and I don't believe he will regain that edge. He might have a lucky race or 2, but over the course of the season he will be behind the curve.

#10014 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:49

What has Rosberg done to warrant that lofty claim? The only drivers he has beaten are Nakajima and an old Schumacher.

Rosberg is getting the best out of the machinery he has been given, perhaps elevating it to better finishes than it deserves which is considerably better than than the number 2 driver at Mercedes has manged Schumacher can't even manage his tyre use and is turning in a few fastish laps by burning up his tyres.

Rosberg's skill level would really be shown if he has Di Resta as a team mate, personally I suspect they would be pretty evenly matched.

#10015 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:53

Guys, do you know there is Nico vs Michael thread? Go there.

#10016 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:31

Guys, do you know there is Nico vs Michael thread? Go there.

You can't ignore an "Elephant in the Room" no matter how much you might want to....................

#10017 albertini

albertini

• 225 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:55

Interesting interview in El Pais:
MS interview

#10018 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 13:09

MS interview

It is good. :up:
http://translate.goo.....pepidep_1/Tes

#10019 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 16:13

Why Autosport needs to write "Schumacher denies...", instead simply Schumacher remains or continues, or "is not". Always that vitriolic tone. Is this something asspociated with Brits?

Advertisement

#10020 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 16:34

Q & A with Michael Schumacher
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/91505

OfficialMGP #F1 : The little song the Spanish fans sang for Michael when he appeared was quite nice! :)
http://yfrog.com/h340dgrj

http://www.xpb.cc/th...0R8M2DC_450.jpg
http://www.xpb.cc/th...04Q3H4X_450.jpg
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by ivand911, 19 May 2011 - 18:48.

#10021 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 18:19

OTOH I've already seen some fans adjust their scale, so that one podium will now be considered a proper justification for the whole comeback adventure and prove that he's still got it. :p

:up:

#10022 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,078 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 18:24

Nice to hear Michael say he's still up for it. I hope he means it, and wasn't just pressured into saying as such. Actually, why would he be pressured into anything? He's MS FFS.

#10023 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 18:52

Why Autosport needs to write "Schumacher denies...", instead simply Schumacher remains or continues, or "is not". Always that vitriolic tone. Is this something asspociated with Brits?

It is in no way vitriolic Schumacher is back tracking on the impression he gave in in his statements after Turkey.
The fact is given the form the guy has shown his chance of getting a podium without some kind of freak race similar to what occurred when Vittorio Brambilla won the 1975 Austrian GP are close to zero.

#10024 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 20:12

It is in no way vitriolic Schumacher is back tracking on the impression he gave in in his statements after Turkey.
The fact is given the form the guy has shown his chance of getting a podium without some kind of freak race similar to what occurred when Vittorio Brambilla won the 1975 Austrian GP are close to zero.

What the hek are you talking about? Christ, this is unbeliveable.

Edited by Sakae, 19 May 2011 - 20:13.

#10025 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 21:07

Nice to hear Michael say he's still up for it. I hope he means it, and wasn't just pressured into saying as such. Actually, why would he be pressured into anything? He's MS FFS.

He was. I get the feeling he's now Ralf in disguise! :lol:
Oh well let's hope for a better weekend in Spain.....

#10026 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 19:54

No idea how long it exists already, but now in the Netherlands: Michael Schumacher Energy drink!

Posted Image

Got 24 cans for 3.49 euro :p

Edited by F.M., 20 May 2011 - 19:56.

#10027 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 19:56

Is it good? :p Lucky you.

Edited by ivand911, 20 May 2011 - 19:57.

#10028 thrillercd

thrillercd

• 85 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 20:27

Is it good? :p Lucky you.

After drinking it does not give you wings but it makes you the Hulk :lol:

Posted Image

Edited by thrillercd, 20 May 2011 - 20:46.

#10029 BRG

BRG

• 11,923 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 20:59

No, it just means that British journalists understand the English language better than you do.

Edited by BRG, 20 May 2011 - 21:00.

#10030 SennaHolic

SennaHolic

• 109 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 21:14

He should get the hell out of F1, it's filled with backstabbing rats, and go race and win LeMans.

#10031 SpeedyS

SpeedyS

• 236 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 22:54

MS interview

Thanks. The question where he is losing time to NR. The translation is not great, does it mean he says he is losing time everywhere?

Q. According to the telemetry, where Rosberg lost time?

A. Last year it was in slow corners for my problem with the tires. With Pirelli, if you ask any Mercedes that I will respond quickly everywhere.

#10032 eoin

eoin

• 5,010 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 23:26

Thanks. The question where he is losing time to NR. The translation is not great, does it mean he says he is losing time everywhere?

Q. According to the telemetry, where Rosberg lost time?

A. Last year it was in slow corners for my problem with the tires. With Pirelli, if you ask any Mercedes that I will respond quickly everywhere.

No. He is saying that you can go ask anyone in Mercedes and they will tell you that he is fast everywhere.
Basically he doesn't have any major problem this year, unlike with slow corners last year, he just hasn't had much of a chance to put it together due to the wing problems in the few races and his mistake in Turkey.

Edited by eoin, 20 May 2011 - 23:27.

#10033 SpeedyS

SpeedyS

• 236 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 00:03

No. He is saying that you can go ask anyone in Mercedes and they will tell you that he is fast everywhere.
Basically he doesn't have any major problem this year, unlike with slow corners last year, he just hasn't had much of a chance to put it together due to the wing problems in the few races and his mistake in Turkey.

#10034 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 00:12

Oh dear, i know its only free practise but that 0.3s gap to Nico is there again.

Lets see what happens in about 12 hours time.

#10035 baddog

baddog

• 23,626 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 00:52

Oh dear, i know its only free practise but that 0.3s gap to Nico is there again.

Lets see what happens in about 12 hours time.

Nah he avoided Massa and aborted his lap (after a slightly scrappy but not slower S1), then did the timed one the lap after with tyres worn more. There is nothing to say about a gap between them at this stage.

#10036 BRK

BRK

• 3,477 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:04

Looks like they went back to the approach they tried out during practice at China, setting the car up with mostly heavy fuel loads, should be good for the race. Overall it still looks like it might be a difficult weekend for Michael again if he's struggling with the car, fingers crossed this isn't the case.

#10037 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:35

Nah he avoided Massa and aborted his lap (after a slightly scrappy but not slower S1), then did the timed one the lap after with tyres worn more. There is nothing to say about a gap between them at this stage.

Yeah I saw that in fp2, but i thought that gap was there on the longer runs across the sessions.

Anyway I'm watching fp3 and no representative laps there either (I hope!) not long to quali to find out for sure.

What ever happened to the at 1.20.2 Michael scored here in February eh? What I'd give to see one of those now.

Edited by spacekid, 21 May 2011 - 09:36.

#10038 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:44

Yeah I saw that in fp2, but i thought that gap was there on the longer runs across the sessions.

Anyway I'm watching fp3 and no representative laps there either (I hope!) not long to quali to find out for sure.

What ever happened to the at 1.20.2 Michael scored here in February eh? What I'd give to see one of those now.

It was 1:21.2 and I start to doubt he will do that again. So, they go backwards from the tests?

#10039 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:45

It was 1:21.2 and I start to doubt he will do that again. So, they go backwards from the tests?

Q3 times will go into the 1:20s, if not 1:19s for the RBRs at least. I expect MGP to beat the testing times.

Advertisement

#10040 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:47

Q3 times will go into the 1:20s, if not 1:19s for the RBRs at least. I expect MGP to beat the testing times.

Will see, MGP need two seconds?

#10041 rog

rog

• 908 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:49

Highly doubt it. Testing times are faster as usual. Same as last year. The cars are faster in colder temperatures.

#10042 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:49

Ooops! Brain fade!! That will teach me for not bothering to look it up.

I still haven't learnt these tyre compunds, but assume that was set on the softest Pirelli and these times are on the second softest (what was it Martin Brunle said, they go jam, butter, bread knife?) These are the yellow runs, did they set those Feb times on the red tyres?

Shame its so hard to tell how much the cars have moved forward since February!

Anyway this is looking more encouraging for a decent showing up to Q3 for Schumi. Its a shame Nico just got held up by Petrov so we couldn't see where they stood, I think he and Michael would have posted near identical times there.

Edited by spacekid, 21 May 2011 - 09:50.

#10043 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:50

Tyre differences looks like one lap for MSC in Q3.

#10044 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:50

Highly doubt it. Testing times are faster as usual. Same as last year. The cars are faster in colder temperatures.

Right about that though I suppose. :)

2 seconds may be a bit much for P3 - Q3. low 1:21 for RBR1:20 for RBR, low 1:22 for MGP?

At least we're well clear of Ferrari.

MSC is going to have to pull everything out of the bag to beat ROS in quali though.

Edited by Augurk, 21 May 2011 - 09:54.

#10045 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:57

Right about that though I suppose. :)

2 seconds may be a bit much for P3 - Q3. low 1:21 for RBR1:20 for RBR, low 1:22 for MGP?

At least we're well clear of Ferrari.

MSC is going to have to pull everything out of the bag to beat ROS in quali though.

Lets he get second or third row , I will be happy. He will think about Nico in the race.

#10046 Richardc

Richardc

• 235 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:01

He's having to fight the car still, compare it to Vet on his first couple of fast laps - jumping kurbs and getting on the throttle with no drama.

#10047 baddog

baddog

• 23,626 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:15

Perhaps at the VERY least people could now stop saying Michael is 'slow'?

#10048 rommel

rommel

• 294 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:25

Perhaps at the VERY least people could now stop saying Michael is 'slow'?

Nothing is proven until qualifying. Schumacher fans have become so desperate that they now boast about practice times. :eek:

#10049 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:27

Nothing is proven until qualifying. Schumacher fans have become so desperate that they now boast about practice times. :eek:

Whatever the status of the session, if the driver can put in such a time it disproves any claim of being slow.

#10050 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,432 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:28

Fairly sure Piquet Jr. cracked top 10 in practice sessions as well.