Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20770 replies to this topic

#10051 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 13:10

I think you're wrong in supposing his Q strategy is being decided by his chances against Rosberg..... :well:

Yeah that may be an overly pessimistic view. But something about it just seems to lack confidence.

Fingers crossed he can stay out of trouble and maintain enough track position tomorrow to make this work :cool:

Advertisement

#10052 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 13:10

Might be clever but he´ll have a hard time in the first 2-3 laps against the option cars... :well:

#10053 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 13:13

Might be clever but he´ll have a hard time in the first 2-3 laps against the option cars... :well:

It's by no means certain he'll start on the hards.

#10054 Ruf

Ruf

• 1,279 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 13:15

Didn't he do his lap in/out on hards? He can't change the tyres even if he wanted to.

Interesting race tomorrow, I'll watch it...

#10055 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 13:16

Didn't he do his lap in/out on hards? He can't change the tyres even if he wanted to.

Interesting race tomorrow, I'll watch it...

I think the rules state you have to start the race on the tyres you set your fastest time on? He didn't clock a time.

#10056 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 13:16

True. He didn't finish the lap so has his 'options' open (ho ho)

But then how much pace is taken out of the softs by running them on a hot lap? Enough to garuantee making up 5 places on the first 2 laps? If not it seems like a waste of time to me.

Shame the Beeb coverage has cut away, I'd love to have seen an interview to explain the thinking on this one.

#10057 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 647 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 13:17

Wasn't done on purpose, obviously. KERS fell out before Q3.

#10058 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 13:17

True. He didn't finish the lap so has his 'options' open (ho ho)

But then how much pace is taken out of the softs by running them on a hot lap? Enough to garuantee making up 5 places on the first 2 laps? If not it seems like a waste of time to me.

Shame the Beeb coverage has cut away, I'd love to have seen an interview to explain the thinking on this one.

He could start on the used softs from Q2, on par with the rest, and get his advantage from the fresh set on the last stint.

#10059 karlth

karlth

• 16,260 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 13:18

I think the rules state you have to start the race on the tyres you set your fastest time on? He didn't clock a time.

Then he has to start on the rims only.

Advertisement

#10060 Ruf

Ruf

• 1,279 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 13:19

Hmm, good point that...

#10061 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 647 posts

He has a free choice of what tires to use in the race.

#10062 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Then he has to start on the rims only.

:rotfl:

#10063 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 13:23

Wasn't done on purpose, obviously. KERS fell out before Q3.

Oh. Damn. Well this changes everything :well:

In that case I expect him to start on the softs and try to rescue another botched weekend from reliability.

Cos I still think that starting on the hards when he has so many runners behind him on softs with superior pace would be insane.

If he finished behind Rosberg in the race, or even worse gets caught up in an incident from being out of position... please, just once a break from the post race crowing from the usual suspects about how he is past it and should retire, eh? Up until Q3 it has been a very strong showing this weekend.

#10064 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 647 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 13:26

If everything works on the car come race day, P10 is not a tragedy, but it is a shame because there was potential for a P6, from both drivers. Anything beyond P6 doesn't seem possible, bar some reliability issues/accidents of other drivers.

#10065 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 14:05

Just for once I'd like Nico to get the shitty end of the stick from Merc.

#10066 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 14:54

Having thought about it a bit, I expect him to start on Q2 or Q1 used softs, on par with those around him, then change to hards, do a run on his other used softs and save his fresh softs for the final stint.

#10067 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

I wouldn't, I like Nico. I think he's gonna have a great race with Alonso tomorrow.

I'd just like Schumi's car to hold together and give him a decent starting slot on the grid.

#10068 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Having thought about it a bit, I expect him to start on Q2 or Q1 used softs, on par with those around him, then change to hards, do a run on his other used softs and save his fresh softs for the final stint.

:up:

I agree. Although it might be an idea to keep an idea on how who he is realistically racing (probably Petrov, Massa and Kobayashi?) are doing and react to their stops to be on the softs when they go to the hards?

Although having a set of new softs is handy, is there that much of a difference between a brand new set and a set thats done an out lap, a hot lap and a gentle in lap? Surely its only worth a couple of seconds on the road?

Edited by spacekid, 21 May 2011 - 15:00.

#10069 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 17:18

I must go on to the Amazon site and order " The Big Book of Excuses 2011 " by M Schumacher

#10070 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 17:29

I must go on to the Amazon site and order " The Big Book of Excuses 2011 " by M Schumacher

:rotfl: its just 'saled'

#10071 iakhtar

iakhtar

• 191 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 17:37

Would look real nice in your Schumacher fetish shrine :p

#10072 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,820 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 18:11

It's pretty clear an excuse...his q3 lap was so slow the timing device was unable to catch

#10073 zarooch

zarooch

• 600 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 19:31

guys have a look at this :)

#10074 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 20:12

It's pretty clear an excuse...his q3 lap was so slow the timing device was unable to catch

Must be like the older automatic train protection system used in Holland. It stops trains from passing red signals by automatically applying their brakes, however, it can't detect speeds slower than 40kph!

#10075 EdwardCullen

EdwardCullen

• 763 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 20:57

:rotfl: its just 'saled'

but nothing can out sell the award winning " The Big Book of Excuses 2007 " by Fernando Alonso and his fans! :rotfl: :rotfl: :lol: :lol:

and its "sold" not "saled"! ;)

Edited by EdwardCullen, 21 May 2011 - 21:00.

#10076 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 21:08

and its "sold" not "saled"! ;)

:blush: sorry when my english is only my 3. lenguage after german and spanish...... :) but I'm learning 'day by day'.......

#10077 BRK

BRK

• 3,653 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 21:09

"Viewers that bought this item also purchased:

'Common Sense - the what and the how of harnessing a dwindling resource!';
'Entropy and Dynamics of Pseudo-Particles at the Quantum Level - how to make something out of nothing';
'Cable TV 101 - Setup your own network in minutes!'

#10078 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 21:18

Come on, you've been a long time fan of Michael and see his teammate as the most important driver to beat - and fair enough! Just don't portray it as though it's just this weekend.

Hats off to Michael as he has at this track got the measure of Nico, no doubt. He did it last year too, qualifying and race. I would be surprised to not see him beat Nico tomorrow but he will probably battling for about 6th or 7th, the car just doesn't do it at this track.

#10079 EdwardCullen

EdwardCullen

• 763 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 21:23

"Viewers that bought this item also purchased:

'Common Sense - the what and the how of harnessing a dwindling resource!';
'Entropy and Dynamics of Pseudo-Particles at the Quantum Level - how to make something out of nothing';
'Cable TV 101 - Setup your own network in minutes!'

:lol:

Advertisement

#10080 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 21:33

Come on, you've been a long time fan of Michael and see his teammate as the most important driver to beat - and fair enough! Just don't portray it as though it's just this weekend.

Hats off to Michael as he has at this track got the measure of Nico, no doubt. He did it last year too, qualifying and race. I would be surprised to not see him beat Nico tomorrow but he will probably battling for about 6th or 7th, the car just doesn't do it at this track.

if he can survive his customary Petrov encounter we might get a chance to see that.

#10081 black magic

black magic

• 3,962 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 23:59

wont the others behind also be on softs?

I am having my doubts about michael ever getting quicker.

watching him working the wheel suggests to me he simply hasnt been able to adapt to what is required on these tyres. yes the car might have issues but that degree of energyu on the wheel cant be good for the tyre longevity either. nico does not seem to need the same degree of input to achieve an equivalent time

that was a super lap by alonso and otherwise mercedes seemed to ahve the measure of teh ferraris and renault so it will all come down to strategy and a little luck. mcklaren looks too far away but lewis may struggle a little ore than qualifying suggest come race day.

as usual I will be hoping and as usual will probably be left somewhat frustrated.(sighs)

#10082 baddog

baddog

• 24,034 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 00:38

watching him working the wheel suggests to me he simply hasnt been able to adapt to what is required on these tyres.

If his speed in this weekend so far is him 'not adapting' then if he ever does adapt then the others are royally screwed, because he is at the same performance level as the drivers around him

Edited by baddog, 22 May 2011 - 00:43.

#10083 rommel

rommel

• 294 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:42

If his speed in this weekend so far is him 'not adapting' then if he ever does adapt then the others are royally screwed, because he is at the same performance level as the drivers around him

He was below the performance level of his team mate again, not sure how you translate that to being the same as everyone else on the grid.

#10084 black magic

black magic

• 3,962 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 03:21

I know what you mean baddog but you must be cringing at what cost to his tyres?

#10085 baddog

baddog

• 24,034 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:41

I know what you mean baddog but you must be cringing at what cost to his tyres?

yeah it looks like a wild ride, but it wasn't like some hamiltonesque front lockup.. I wouldn't worry too much about a slightly squirelly qualifying lap style. Nico has been having much the same, his laps look no tidier on the rare occasion we get to see them, so its the car not the driver.

We shall see tonight!

#10086 Fortymark

Fortymark

• 5,809 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:52

yeah it looks like a wild ride, but it wasn't like some hamiltonesque front lockup.. I wouldn't worry too much about a slightly squirelly qualifying lap style. Nico has been having much the same, his laps look no tidier on the rare occasion we get to see them, so its the car not the driver.

We shall see tonight!

Lol
Schumacher is all over the place while Rosberg is driving much tidier.
Not just this weekend but that´s been the case in these 23 races.

#10087 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:23

He was below the performance level of his team mate again, not sure how you translate that to being the same as everyone else on the grid.

Yep, so much below the performance level of his team mate that they even had to figure out an excuse for him not making the finish line in time to put down a lap!!

So fed up with these excuses for his poor performance :evil:

#10088 Checobayashi

Checobayashi

• 72 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:28

I wish the media will stop asking him the same questions every week "are you still enjoying it" etc...

He must be so bored at interviews, because I am, and I've only seen a select few in english.

#10089 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,089 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:32

He should retire from F1, and go back to Sportscars........he obviously still wants to drive, but appears not to have the ultimate pace.

#10090 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,485 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:32

Leigh McKenzie: Why do you think Nico Rosberg has the edge over you?

MS: I don't think he has.

<cut to VT of Rosberg baggin 3rd on the grid, MS comes... 8th...."

Schumacher is completely deluded. He needs to wake up and realise he isn't the driver he used to be and isn't in the team situation he used to be. The fact he went on to say he is not as good as when he was 25 but is probably better at making decisions or experience is also ridiculous. In Turkey he looked like a complete rookie wheel to wheel. A new driver pulling those moves would have lost his seat by now.

I'm fed up of the media coverage he's getting, he's an embarassment to his own legacy and needs to quit and let Hulkenberg or some other more deserving driver give it a shot.

#10091 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:37

I just aaw an man on BBC denying the truth......

LOL

#10092 Richardc

Richardc

• 235 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:41

The only time so far Rosberg has done something better than Schu is turkey qualifying - i don't think he's got an edge worth worrying about at the moment.

#10093 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 1,638 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:03

Schumacher is completely deluded. He needs to wake up and realise he isn't the driver he used to be and isn't in the team situation he used to be. The fact he went on to say he is not as good as when he was 25 but is probably better at making decisions or experience is also ridiculous. In Turkey he looked like a complete rookie wheel to wheel. A new driver pulling those moves would have lost his seat by now.

I'm fed up of the media coverage he's getting, he's an embarassment to his own legacy and needs to quit and let Hulkenberg or some other more deserving driver give it a shot.

At least Schumacher was something, which is more than you can say about Hunklebert.

#10094 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:52

Well, looks like the old dog doesn't need shooting just yet.

#10095 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 13:16

Tense. With 20 laps to go Schumi is catching Nando, while Rosberg is a second behind and clearly faster than Schumi.

I almost don't want to watch.

Edit - oh hang on, Schumi isn't close enough to nando i must have misread the timings, he won't get anywhere near him. Schumi is going to have to defend very hard from Rosberg to keep this place.

Edit edit - I'm aware that I'm talking to myself here but... actually he might be right on the back of Alonso by the end of the race! Only 10 seconds behind now. But I still think Nico can DRS and KERS his way past right at the end, he has the speed.

Edited by spacekid, 22 May 2011 - 13:22.

#10096 SpeedyS

SpeedyS

• 236 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 13:23

Tense. With 20 laps to go Schumi is catching Nando, while Rosberg is a second behind and clearly faster than Schumi.

I almost don't want to watch.

Edit - oh hang on, Schumi isn't close enough to nando i must have misread the timings, he won't get anywhere near him. Schumi is going to have to defend very hard from Rosberg to keep this place.

Edit edit - I'm aware that I'm talking to myself here but... actually he might be right on the back of Alonso by the end of the race! Only 10 seconds behind now. But I still think Nico can DRS and KERS his way past right at the end, he has the speed.

Honest believe MS just manages his tyres is a different way, only starts putting in quicker times when NR gets close.

#10097 marchi-91

marchi-91

• 440 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 13:24

Hey spacekid!

Michael just controlling the pace infront of Rosberg. Much like Turkey last year.

#10098 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 13:25

Yeah I was thinking that, but he is still very vulnerable!! I am just being pessimistic, after so much hurt this season I don't wanna get my hopes up.

Guys is it just me or have the timings from Schumi to Alonso been wandering around a bit? Currently showing a 25 sec gap, I could swear it was showing as less and closing few laps ago!! I must be going mad...

#10099 SpeedyS

SpeedyS

• 236 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 13:30

Yeah I was thinking that, but he is still very vulnerable!! I am just being pessimistic, after so much hurt this season I don't wanna get my hopes up.

Guys is it just me or have the timings from Schumi to Alonso been wandering around a bit? Currently showing a 25 sec gap, I could swear it was showing as less and closing few laps ago!! I must be going mad...

Live timing has quite a delay to live TV for me today..

Advertisement

#10100 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 13:35

Hey spacekid!

Michael just controlling the pace infront of Rosberg. Much like Turkey last year.

has looked that way all race so far if nico thought he had the pace he would have undercut schumacher or stayed out longer on one of the stints but he didnt