Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#10351 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:01

I very much doubt that. If there was a way to put a tight pair of jeans and a coyboy hat on that plane I'm sure Michael would ;)

We don't know how it looks from inside!  ;)

Advertisement

#10352 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:04

Darren Heath's new Blog on Schumi

Chasing dreams

31st May 2011

Arriving at the track he cuts a lonely figure these days, often unmolested by autograph-hungry fans, briefcase in hand, dark sunglasses permanently in place and cap pulled hard down. The seven-times world champion is not the draw he once was.

Michael Schumacher’s second F1 career is now one season and six races old. No pole positions, no podium places – it’s not how he imagined it, I’m sure.

When über-successful sportsmen retire for the first time, at the right time, fans and admirers alike are almost always united in their feelings of respect and praise for an icon who has faced the painful yet inevitable consequence of age and hung up their kit bag.

Schumacher’s 2006 exit was greeted in just such a fashion.

Fast forward to now and feelings are the polar opposite.

Watching Michael this season and last has been an education in the folly of sporting comebacks.

First of all there’s his demeanour in the paddock. Nearly always the last to arrive for photo calls (seemingly so as to enhance his superiority), he indulges in overly chummy back-slaps and high-fives with drivers half his age – most of whom no doubt see the 42-year old as akin to the oldest swinger in town. And then there’s his driving.

At the zenith of his career Schumacher in a Ferrari was an awesome sight to behold. Putting to the back of one’s mind the continuous allegations of not-quite-legal cars, one was often in awe of his ability to destroy with utter ruthlessness all others who dared to race.

Sheer brilliance is an apt description of a number of his victories, none more so than at the Hungaroring in 1998. To see him react to Ross Brawn’s tactical masterstroke by thrashing his Ferrari at qualifying pace for lap after lap will always be a grand prix I’ll remember as one of the most frightening demonstrations of a driver at the height of his powers.

It’s all so different now.

Looking for all the world like an over-driving has-been, he’s a little sad to behold. If there’s a car running wide, kicking up the dirt, taking to the escape road, or arriving in the pits by way of a pick-up truck, likelihood is it’ll be Mercedes #7.

Word has it that within Mercedes GP two rival factions have evolved: the German hierarchy, entrenched in their belief that Schumacher will deliver, and a (predominantly) English posse who see Nico Rosberg as the team’s main man.

Who knows? Maybe it’ll all come good some time soon for the man from Kerpen, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Like that of a gambler chasing a losing streak or a punch-drunk boxer who steadfastly refuses to quit, Schumacher’s every mid-grid start and lowly points-scoring finish inexorably erodes a legacy he worked so hard to create.

A seven-times world champion really should’ve known better.

Is this the reason why Schumi always have problems in his car?( Schumi till now has had three DRS problem and one KERS problem in Qualifying and one DNF due to airbox fire and anti stall happening when he was further up the grid and could have gained some positions in the start!) Because the German hierarchy is sitting in Germany & the English are running the team!

http://www.darrenhea.../chasing-dreams

Edited by merschu, 01 June 2011 - 12:05.

#10353 Owen

Owen

• 10,407 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:08

Michael Schumacher's new plane. :)
Falcon 2000LX M-IKEL

Is the M-IKEL bit the equivalent of a private reg? :D

#10354 salamin

salamin

• 1,692 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:12

Is this the reason why Schumi always have problems in his car?( Schumi till now has had three DRS problem and one KERS problem in Qualifying and one DNF due to airbox fire and anti stall happening when he was further up the grid and could have gained some positions in the start!) Because the German hierarchy is sitting in Germany & the English are running the team!

wonder what the merc board have to say about this, assuming the report is true

#10355 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,218 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:17

Yes. Jay Kay has G-JKAY on his helicopter and McLaren G-REYS on their Challenger 604.

#10356 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,655 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 15:20

Hope it's ok to post this -

It is after all MS related kinda well from the past and I think it's funny :lol:

#10357 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,433 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 16:16

I remember when Schumacher was going season after season without an engine failure but Barrichello had retirements, it was all down to MS's brilliance. "you make your own luck" was the standard reply, "MS's reliability is all down to his driving skill, anyone thinking Rubens is getting second hand treatment is a tinfoil hatter"

Now the shoe's on the other foot, is Ms's relibility still a function of his skill? hell no, now it's all a conspiracy by the team to hobble his car.......

#10358 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,716 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 16:47

has he said there is a conspiracy or smth?
has he ever complained about it?

#10359 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,218 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 16:53

Nope, that's a small 'editorial' by the poster. I can see how there might very well be a nationalistic split in the team over whether he's doing well enough to be replaced, but it's clear that the line also represents those who have most to gain from the positiving marketing of having Schumacher versus the liability* of his current driving standards. Mercedes must love having him there advertising their wares, while the team might be more willing to give another driver a chance.

*Important note, I'm using this word as a simple device to illustrate my point; I know he's actually made some great moves this year and had decent results (comparatively_. Also, speaking as someone older than the man himself, am very much supportive of his comeback, if a little disappointed.

Advertisement

#10360 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,433 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 16:59

Schumacher himself you mean? not to my knowledge but my comment wasn't about Schumacher's statements it was about the comment of the poster above and the fans in general.

#10361 salamin

salamin

• 1,692 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 17:20

well he had an outburst at the team during winter IIRC, but nothing like that

#10362 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 21:32

Reminds me of that famous quote from "The Edge", with Hopkins/Baldwin:"Never feel sorry for a man who owns a plane."

Tell that to Darren Heath. :rotfl: He is one sad man.
And this is just lie:
"Arriving at the track he cuts a lonely figure these days, often unmolested by autograph-hungry fans, briefcase in hand, dark sunglasses permanently in place and cap pulled hard down. The seven-times world champion is not the draw he once was."
I saw every GP Michael signing a lot of stuff. No fans, I suggest this crap writer to visit any GP. I was in Turkey and I saw many many MS fans wearing his t-shirts ,caps, else. What fans you can find in the Paddock? To molest them? Who to molest, I didn't see any other driver molested in the Paddock. Utter crap that Darren Heath. Lonely? He have his manager always with him. You can see other lonely, but Michael very rarely.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Poor him, not interest at all!!!!
Posted Image
Ooh, noo he is driving alone!!! Nobody is looking behind him. He is finished.

Edited by ivand911, 01 June 2011 - 21:56.

#10363 Spa95

Spa95

• 861 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:24

Tell that to Darren Heath. :rotfl: He is one sad man.
And this is just lie:
"Arriving at the track he cuts a lonely figure these days, often unmolested by autograph-hungry fans, briefcase in hand, dark sunglasses permanently in place and cap pulled hard down. The seven-times world champion is not the draw he once was."
I saw every GP Michael signing a lot of stuff. No fans, I suggest this crap writer to visit any GP. I was in Turkey and I saw many many MS fans wearing his t-shirts ,caps, else. What fans you can find in the Paddock? To molest them? Who to molest, I didn't see any other driver molested in the Paddock. Utter crap that Darren Heath. Lonely? He have his manager always with him. You can see other lonely, but Michael very rarely.
http://motorsport.ne...n-19may/124.jpg
http://motorsport.ne...n-19may/229.jpg
http://motorsport.ne...n-19may/234.jpg
http://motorsport.ne...n-19may/230.jpg
http://motorsport.ne...n-19may/251.jpg
Poor him, not interest at all!!!!
http://motorsport.ne...n-19may/287.jpg
Ooh, noo he is driving alone!!! Nobody is looking behind him. He is finished.

Indeed :up:

http://www.faz.net/a...n-30337806.html

17.17: The fans scream and chant his name: : „Michael! Michael!“ A bit of hysteria has broken out in the pit lane. Hundreds are gathered at the red gates, the security personal has trouble keeping them back. All that for an autograph with the big idol, for a picture and a bit of closeness. Schumacher smilies, only after fifteen minutes he disappears again. He leaves for the next meeting with the team.

Edited by Spa95, 02 June 2011 - 05:25.

#10364 black magic

black magic

• 3,835 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:32

there will be an element of truth to his comments in that no he is no longer the main man in f1

but I doubt any serious fan would ignore his presence and watching through the pool complex I doubt any other 40 yr old would be bringing that degree of committemnt to his sport.

guess he wasnt too old to still catch lewis by surprise and also controlled car whilst lewis took the racing line.

darren is clearly not a fan and so there is also a perverse pleasure in watching michael struggle. and yet in the last 10 races other than qualifying he ahs matched nico who is no slouch.we also remember his run in recently with michael. perhaps darren has confused the importance of his own role or figure in f1 history

no one thinks michael is as quick when at his peak - but is he doing a respectable job in the circumstances and with the machinary at his disposal - absolutely.

#10365 differential

differential

• 454 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:37

If thats the case, this team is in a big mess and needs reshuffling. I would also question MSC's safety and Nico's within the team.

Edited by differential, 02 June 2011 - 11:38.

#10366 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:50

there will be an element of truth to his comments in that no he is no longer the main man in f1

We know that Michael is not the main man in F1 now, speed-wise,success-wise. And this is because he drive MGP and not RBR or McL or Ferrari. We will never know how he would perform in such car. But, I think he would do much better with some predictable, easy to drive(because of the good design) and fast car. MGP car is not any of this. But, he is legend at 42 and all time success wise he is still the main man. And he still have the biggest fan base in the world from all F1 drivers.

Edited by ivand911, 02 June 2011 - 11:51.

#10367 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,083 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:55

Isn't/Wasn't Darren Heath a photographer in F1 for many years, I have a recollection he was the one who took the photo of the McLaren "trick" 2nd brake pedal in 1998 much to Ron Dennis' chagrin.

Regardless, his blog seems to be a bit like some of the posters on this thread - tailored to suit their own agenda and ignoring the facts which don't suit said agenda.

#10368 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:06

Isn't/Wasn't Darren Heath a photographer in F1 for many years, I have a recollection he was the one who took the photo of the McLaren "trick" 2nd brake pedal in 1998 much to Ron Dennis' chagrin.

Regardless, his blog seems to be a bit like some of the posters on this thread - tailored to suit their own agenda and ignoring the facts which don't suit said agenda.

yea and if you look back a small distance you will find a really hateful schumacher article from him hes obviously not a fan maybe because schumacher was camera friendly for him..

like the other well known f1 photo people hes a sef importaint arse hes probably really good friends with joe saward :rotfl: he likes to make his articles about him aswell and not the person they are actually talking about

#10369 differential

differential

• 454 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:42

Yea he is a photographer: I always see his images on james allens' blog.

#10370 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 639 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 14:14

I recall a recent survey-thingy done on Romanian TV, wherein it was established that Schumacher is still the most beloved driver off the grid.

Edited by PoliFanAthic, 02 June 2011 - 14:14.

#10371 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,655 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:05

One thing people have forgotten is that when MS retired in 2006 and Hamilton came along we all wished he had stayed in F1 so we could see MS v LH! And thankfully we have since 2010! I am grateful though I wish MS were racing in a faster car. :)

Strange though, he could of been racing for Ferrari since and have had at least 9 titles now, maybe 10. Strange....

#10372 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:12

One thing people have forgotten is that when MS retired in 2006 and Hamilton came along we all wished he had stayed in F1 so we could see MS v LH! And thankfully we have since 2010! I am grateful though I wish MS were racing in a faster car. :)

Strange though, he could of been racing for Ferrari since and have had at least 9 titles now, maybe 10. Strange....

He lost three titles even before that. When he break his legs and even Irvine have chance for WDC(1999), 1997, 2006. So, he could be at least 12 time WDC now. :drunk:

#10373 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,655 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:15

He lost three titles even before that. When he break his legs and even Irvine have chance for WDC(1999), 1997, 2006. So, he could be at least 12 time WDC now. :drunk:

Ya but he retired in 2006, and it turned out is wasn't necessary! 4 years wasted...

#10374 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:33

Yeah, he could've been a 10-11 time champ even if his career had continued along the same path and he had retired in 2006. If he hadn't run wide at Jerez, if he hadn't stalled or had that puncture at Suzuka, if Silverstone '99 had never happened, if his engine hadn't failed him in 06....Whole lot of ifs, just the way it is in F1.

Sadly we may never see a driver of his calibre and ability in F1 for a long, long time to come, no one that's quite that much better than the rest as he was. Should be good for a few years when drivers like SV and LH on the current grid hit their own peaks, for instance, but still some way behind the Schumacher-Senna-Prost axis of dominance.

#10375 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,471 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:40

Sadly we may never see a driver of his calibre and ability in F1 for a long, long time to come, no one that's quite that much better than the rest as he was. Should be good for a few years when drivers like SV and LH on the current grid hit their own peaks, for instance, but still some way behind the Schumacher-Senna-Prost axis of dominance.

I'm of the opinion the cars are alot closer in performance now at the top of the grid and we haven't seen as many WDC's on the grid since the 80's. Schumachers era arrived at the end of a strong period and no doubt he is a superb driver, but he didn't face a grid like we see now for much of his career IMO. I wish these guys had have been around throughout the 90's as we'd have have many multi WDC's, with Michael mixing it right up. :)

#10376 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:48

Well that's the thing right there -it would be very naive to think F1 passed through a vacuum for the entire period that Schumacher was in F1, all you'd have to do is to take MS out of the equation and consider how many different WDCs we would have had and how competitive the field may have been. It's a bit unfortunate that there's still a few people that have that opinion because Schumacher was so much better than the others or because he dominated F1 throughout his career.

#10377 broooz

broooz

• 108 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:23

I'm of the opinion the cars are alot closer in performance now at the top of the grid and we haven't seen as many WDC's on the grid since the 80's. Schumachers era arrived at the end of a strong period and no doubt he is a superb driver, but he didn't face a grid like we see now for much of his career IMO. I wish these guys had have been around throughout the 90's as we'd have have many multi WDC's, with Michael mixing it right up. :)

I think that in his prime (1994-2002 or so) Schumacher was so good that he made the then-grid look weak just as he would make any grid look weak back then. The generation change arrived by 2006 and now Schumacher is merely a recreative driver in his 40s driving for fun and joy....

Edited by broooz, 03 June 2011 - 09:24.

#10378 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:29

He is still good enough to overtake Lewis(with inferior car) and Nico in Monaco. :p And he is still good enough to drive in F1 now. Which is a lot.

Edited by ivand911, 03 June 2011 - 09:34.

#10379 broooz

broooz

• 108 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:46

He is still good enough to overtake Lewis(with inferior car) and Nico in Monaco. :p And he is still good enough to drive in F1 now. Which is a lot.

Yes....all of the past greatness simply cannot be lost. In a car like Red Bull of 2011 or Brawn of 2009, he would still be a winner (and Webber is no, so far, for example).

Edited by broooz, 03 June 2011 - 09:46.

Advertisement

#10380 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,579 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:30

Well that's the thing right there -it would be very naive to think F1 passed through a vacuum for the entire period that Schumacher was in F1, all you'd have to do is to take MS out of the equation and consider how many different WDCs we would have had and how competitive the field may have been. It's a bit unfortunate that there's still a few people that have that opinion because Schumacher was so much better than the others or because he dominated F1 throughout his career.

Its the same everywhere. I recently popped onto a tennis forum ahead of the French open (not desperately interested, a casual fan at best) and there was a debate going on that Roger Federer was never a great player at all, and only won so much because he had no much competition. Everyone else playing while Rog was at his peak was rubbish.

Now, Federer at 29 is getting on for a tennis player and has clearly lost a touch of his zip around the court and so is 'only' reaching semi-finals instead of finals and winning. He may win another Slam event, he may not. But this apparently 'proves' that now there are better players in the field than in the last 10 years and he should never have won anything. Some of the posts you could swap the names around and put onto either forum and not notice the difference.

Its madness. I have no idea what compels people to reach those conclusions, but it doesn't seem to be restricted only to MS/motor sport in general.

#10381 oetzi

oetzi

• 2,924 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:50

Blind prejudice, mainly. And a desire to look 'informed', or 'clever'.

You're right, it does happen everywhere, but I think Schumacher suffered particularly badly as a (nearly stereotypical from a British point of view) German in a sport based mainly in the UK, with a press based mainly in the UK, for the perception that he cheated the quintessentially English Williams and Hill out of a title, and for being the first great driver to emerge after the 'irreplaceable, unmatchable' Senna.

#10382 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 15:28

webber and button didnt stand out imo back then... alonso was always good.

its stupid to suggest the grid was weaker back then ... alonso is still rated as maybe the best driver on the grid now ,webber almost won a championship and he was never above average back then... button never stood out

#10383 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,910 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 16:52

I have a question

How good is Michael Schumacher NOW?

I think head to head, he would be the equal of Button and Webber.

#10384 jav

jav

• 197 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 17:14

I have a question

I think it's difficult to quantify other than IMHO- he's not what he once was. I think he's still quite good but I don't see the youthful hunger to win at all costs. There's a more mature desire to win... perhaps even a more calculating and structured approach to getting there- but not the unbridled will to be at the front like a Lewis Hamilton.

I Like that he's more self critical these days... often looking inward first as opposed to laying blame elsewhere first like.....Hamilton.

Comparisons to Button or Webber ar tough due to car differences but against Nico, I'd say Micheal is better in some areas, worse in others and as a whole- probably a little below Nico at this point. He does seem to be making up ground though. Long term- I don't see his star rising. That apex has come and gone. I don't think he's the best driver on the grid but he's far from being the worst. He deserves the drive and... a better car.

Edited by jav, 03 June 2011 - 17:18.

#10385 Poep

Poep

• 85 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 17:23

I have a question

Well, I think you (and a lot of other people) underestimate Schumi a lot.

Since the 2010 version of MS not only beat Button and Vettel at the Race of Champions, but also Kubica, Vettel and others in a karting competition a year before, I can definitly tell you he is better than those two you just named.

I still think that MS is the best driver on the grid. Yes, even better than Hamilton or Alonso.

I know what you think, where does that leave Rosberg? Well, I think he is a really top driver. But don't forget, for Nico to beat MS everything has to be perfect for him. What we have seen since MS comeback is that not everything went perfect for Michael. When it does, he beats Nico. So you could say, Nico and Michael are very evenly matched. Still, I think Michael is 0,1 sec faster than Nico when things go perfect for both drivers.

p.s. And MS in his prime? Well,...........................................I 'll tell you another time...... :cool:

#10386 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 17:31

Since the 2010 version of MS not only beat Button and Vettel at the Race of Champions, but also Kubica, Vettel and others in a karting competition a year before, I can definitly tell you he is better than those two you just named.

I still think that MS is the best driver on the grid. Yes, even better than Hamilton or Alonso.

I know what you think, where does that leave Rosberg? Well, I think he is a really top driver. But don't forget, for Nico to beat MS everything has to be perfect for him. What we have seen since MS comeback is that not everything went perfect for Michael. When it does, he beats Nico. So you could say, Nico and Michael are very evenly matched. Still, I think Michael is 0,1 sec faster than Nico when things go perfect for both drivers.

p.s. And MS in his prime? Well,...........................................I 'll tell you another time...... :cool:

Micheal beating people in kart events and race of champions doesnt mean he'll be faster than them in an f1 car. Obviously micheal is not the same driver he was not even close, so do i think schumacher the 2010-2011 version would beat the likes of alonso, hamilton, button etc now, no i dont as i said not the same driver but micheal in his prime yes i do.

Edited by zack1994, 03 June 2011 - 17:32.

#10387 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 17:44

Micheal beating people in kart events and race of champions doesnt mean he'll be faster than them in an f1 car. Obviously micheal is not the same driver he was not even close, so do i think schumacher the 2010-2011 version would beat the likes of alonso, hamilton, button etc now, no i dont as i said not the same driver but micheal in his prime yes i do.

We will never know. I can't compare him with those guys because of car difference. Which is shame, because he is not here forever. Better car and he would give his fans and people who love F1 more things to enjoy.
I see something interesting here around 0:23, I didn't know Michael pass Rubens, but I don't know what happen he seams like he was having some car problem after that and Rubens pass him?
http://www.youtube.c...ayer_detailpage
He pass Rubens easily and suddenly Rubens pass him easily going down. Strange, I think this is the same lap when Michael stopped? This is the lap where Massa crashed.

Edited by ivand911, 03 June 2011 - 17:53.

#10388 Spa95

Spa95

• 861 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 17:46

I see something interesting here around 0:23, I didn't know Michael pass Rubens, but I don't know what happen he seams like he was having some car problem after that and Rubens pass him?
http://www.youtube.c...ayer_detailpage
He pass Rubens easily and sudden Rubens pass him easily going down. Strange, I think this is the same lap Michael stopped? This the lap where Massa crashed.

Probably because of the yellow flag...

#10389 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 17:51

Probably because of the yellow flag...

Aah, yes, he give him position back.

#10390 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,579 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 18:02

I wish I could agree with your post Poep, I really do, but unfortunately I just can't. Schumi is still good, and he can do some stuff in ROC and karts but... thats not the same as F1 and I'm not sure the competitions are comparable for various reasons.

Concentrating on F1, and specifically Rosberg as he is the best barometer, yes Michael has had some problems that have made him look 'bad' in some races. He's been very unlucky in a few quali sessions with KERS and DRS issues.

But having watched all the quali and raced and most of the practise sessions since his comeback, Rosberg is almost always about 0.3-0.5s ahead of Schumi on raw single lap pace. Sometimes he's managed to be a bit better and pull something out of the bag, but almost always that gap has been there across almost all sessions. Its too consistent to just be a coincidence.

Schumi still looks like he can cut it in the races, and I don't think he's lost any of his desire to win. Given his age and time away from the sport I actually think its quite a remarkable achievement from him. To have lost something and still be 'good' shows just how good he was at his peak imo.

#10391 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,083 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 18:48

I wish I could agree with your post Poep, I really do, but unfortunately I just can't. Schumi is still good, and he can do some stuff in ROC and karts but... thats not the same as F1 and I'm not sure the competitions are comparable for various reasons.

Concentrating on F1, and specifically Rosberg as he is the best barometer, yes Michael has had some problems that have made him look 'bad' in some races. He's been very unlucky in a few quali sessions with KERS and DRS issues.

But having watched all the quali and raced and most of the practise sessions since his comeback, Rosberg is almost always about 0.3-0.5s ahead of Schumi on raw single lap pace. Sometimes he's managed to be a bit better and pull something out of the bag, but almost always that gap has been there across almost all sessions. Its too consistent to just be a coincidence.

Schumi still looks like he can cut it in the races, and I don't think he's lost any of his desire to win. Given his age and time away from the sport I actually think its quite a remarkable achievement from him. To have lost something and still be 'good' shows just how good he was at his peak imo.

Oh no, Spacekid is adding to his reputation as a poster with good sense! Please don't change him as otherwise he'll have to go & post on the Hamilton/Button scorecard thread.

I agree with the most sensible post I've read today - yes I've spent too long on the Ham/Butt thread and been worn down by the resident myopia that makes the MS/NR scorecard look like a lovefest.

Thumbs up Spacekid :up: only thing I'd add is it seems fairly clear that MS racecraft is showing up NR, and that's the sole thing keeping NR back from being regarded as "Shit-hot!".

#10392 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,579 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 19:51

Cheers mate, appreciated! Well, I always try to have something constructive to say and as much as I love Schumi the sport has to come first. I've been watching F1 a long time now and can't ignore what I know about the sport.

#10393 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 19:57

Aah, yes, he give him position back.

yep quick thinking by michael

#10394 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 19:59

:up:

#10395 exmayol

exmayol

• 551 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 20:34

... having watched all the quali and raced and most of the practise sessions since his comeback, Rosberg is almost always about 0.3-0.5s ahead of Schumi on raw single lap pace. Sometimes he's managed to be a bit better and pull something out of the bag, but almost always that gap has been there across almost all sessions. Its too consistent to just be a coincidence.

I agree with most of it. I do however feel that there is more to come from MS if MGP resolves issues with consistency. Obviously NR has better pure speed as multiple qualifying sessions have showed yet in race trim MS is on par, if not better, in most of the areas.

#10396 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 21:04

i think if he was in the redbull he would make vettel earn the title unlike webber its a pitty we arent likely to see what he could do in a race winning car

#10397 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,579 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 22:00

I agree with most of it. I do however feel that there is more to come from MS if MGP resolves issues with consistency. Obviously NR has better pure speed as multiple qualifying sessions have showed yet in race trim MS is on par, if not better, in most of the areas.

Yeah I've said most of this stuff before on the Schumi v Nico thread but I agree, Nicos race craft is the one area he needs to work on - I felt this was fairly glaring in China, for istance. I think he's gonna be one of those guys like Hakkinen who really takes off after he gets that first win though.

Back to Schumi... I've kinda been toying with a theory... in his early years of GP racing Schumi was very adaptable, he went from the Jordan to the Benneton to the Ferrari and was able to instantly wring more pace out of any of them than his teams mates could. Clearly this was not the case at Mercedes. Perhaps with age he has just lost a little bit of ability.

But... but... but... for years Schumi had Ferrari building a car to suit his style. I'm not saying he was only fast because he had a car to suit his style, but maybe so many years of driving basically an evolution of the same car trained him to only drive in a very certain way and now he can't get out of that 'habit', where as he used to be more adaptable?

Its not quite a fully formed theory, and quite possibly BS. Er, anyone else see what I'm getting at here?

#10398 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,453 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 22:47

But... but... but... for years Schumi had Ferrari building a car to suit his style. I'm not saying he was only fast because he had a car to suit his style, but maybe so many years of driving basically an evolution of the same car trained him to only drive in a very certain way and now he can't get out of that 'habit', where as he used to be more adaptable?

Its not quite a fully formed theory, and quite possibly BS. Er, anyone else see what I'm getting at here?

Yes, i thought the same thing.

#10399 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,218 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 23:07

i think if he was in the redbull he would make vettel earn the title

Maybe but Vettel would still win it. In 2006, it would have been very different.

Advertisement

#10400 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 23:25

Maybe but Vettel would still win it. In 2006, it would have been very different.

probably but i bet the general opinion of schumacher would be alot better than it is now. its a pitty they dont all do a time attack in the championship winning car each season so we could determine who really are the best drivers.

bet schumacher wishes he stayed around long enough to get 100 wins now

Edited by arknor, 03 June 2011 - 23:26.