Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#10551 manmower

manmower

• 364 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:59

Classic race all round and a great race for Schumacher, I practically don't care if he finished fourth or second. Great set of laps when the track was drying and everyone was on inters, cool under pressure with a single tiny mistake when Webber got past, and at last clean and fair defending all the way. I think he's had his ego get the better of him in some of his dumber defensive moves since the comeback, but today was all dignity and class. I was so excited for him towards the end, nice to feel these signs of life from my inner fanboy. :rotfl:

Advertisement

#10552 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 22:06

The old fox still has it, he was massive in the wet part. In the dry well ... the car is shit, plus the DRS zone was a bit silly, but it was nice to see Schuey still has it in him to mix it up at the front

#10553 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 22:13

http://www.fia.com/e...n-race-laps.pdf
His fastest lap is 2 sec slower than Button and Vettel. And Button tyres were 1 lap older.
http://www.fia.com/e...n-race-trap.pdf
http://www.fia.com/e...race-speeds.pdf
http://www.fia.com/e...ace-sectors.pdf
http://www.fia.com/e...ce-analysis.pdf
http://www.fia.com/e...ace-history.pdf
Michael lost 1,2 sec in both first pitstops to Nico, and all Nico pitstops were faster?
http://www.fia.com/e...ace-summary.pdf

Edited by ivand911, 12 June 2011 - 22:20.

#10554 FranDaMan

FranDaMan

• 641 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 22:15

Fantastic race from Shumi today, such a shame that he couldn't put it on the podium to stick it to Eddie Jordan :lol:

#10555 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 18,139 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 22:16

DRS was a complete joke today.

Today's drive really shows how well both Schumacher and Rosberg are actually doing with that car.

#10556 Pits

Pits

• 415 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 22:21

Great race from Michael, rain is the great equalizer... :cool:

Edited by Pits, 12 June 2011 - 22:21.

#10557 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,625 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 22:25

great drive by michael today

#10558 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,876 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 22:28

Superb race and some classic passes. Well done Schumi!

driver of the day imo

#10559 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,555 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 22:59

Driver of the Day!!

When he was on the inters and a dry line was just emerging, the way he was driving gave me goosebumps and reminded me of a very long time ago. Michael was back with a bang today!!

I hope he got the 'big joy' from this one!!!

Advertisement

#10560 baddog

baddog

• 23,363 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 23:00

Would absolutely have been second without DRS, and certainly second (maybe first? but thats a bit much) without the goddawful strategy call on the first stop.

#10561 Sof1

Sof1

• 596 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 23:07

Great Race by Shumi! I felt a rush seeing him in 2nd place, too bad his car can't make it to the podium. Give the guy a good car and see him dominate!!!

Bravo Schumi!!!!!

#10562 Herth

Herth

• 65 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 23:12

Would absolutely have been second without DRS, and certainly second (maybe first? but thats a bit much) without the goddawful strategy call on the first stop.

Well even though i am a huge fan of MS, i doubt it mattered after all.
The last safety car caused by Heidfeld would have closed any gap anyway.. That was what eliminated the obvious chances for a podium.
It was not possible to keep the bulls and JB behind while on dries, maybe there would just be a chance they would all come together trying to pass each other hehe

#10563 baddog

baddog

• 23,363 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 23:18

The last safety car caused by Heidfeld would have closed any gap anyway.. That was what eliminated the obvious chances for a podium.
It was not possible to keep the bulls and JB behind while on dries, maybe there would just be a chance they would all come together trying to pass each other hehe

Maybe you are right.. no matter anyway, was a great race to watch :)

#10564 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,739 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 23:18

without DRS there was a chance

with that joke of a system my grandma could pass in canada

Edited by MikeTekRacing, 12 June 2011 - 23:19.

#10565 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 23:23

without DRS there was a chance

with that joke of a system my grandma could pass in canada

:wave: for all drivers the same!!!

#10566 baddog

baddog

• 23,363 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 23:25

Yes it lessens the quality of racing for all drivers the same.

#10567 teejay

teejay

• 3,634 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 23:26

Credit where credit is due

Gramps drove a damn fine race!

#10568 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,323 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 23:30

I don't know how can a person be so bitter..? Did Michael harm you in anyway personally? :confused:

His 7 championships did physiological obviously.

#10569 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,545 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 23:56

Have to say props to Schumi today :up: - looked liked the old Michael was back.

He must have got some big joy after that race - is this the start of the renaissance proper?

#10570 jjpm

jjpm

• 239 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 23:57

Michael overtake on Koba and Massa, priceless. :D

Absolutely priceless! :clap:

#10571 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,739 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 00:12

as I remember the rules the defending driver doesn't have drs so it's not exactly the same you know

#10572 jjpm

jjpm

• 239 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 00:19

He must have got some big joy after that race - is this the start of the renaissance proper?

As a matter of fact not really, when asked by the BBC it he was going to have champagne?
His answer was : "I don't know if I should get excited or upset about what's going on..."
then the interview was snappily cut and return to Jack, Eddie and David.

I guess he wasn't to pleased with the MGP's Master Strategist for one and maybe for some other reasons as well!

#10573 Richardc

Richardc

• 235 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 00:28

That shows the difference between someone who is happy to finish 3rd/4th (rozzer) and Schumacher.

#10574 Collective

Collective

• 1,096 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 00:54

Can't take anything from the old guy today. He was fantastic, hitting the kerbs in the wet, defending hard. I'm glad he had a drive like this. Hopefully not a fluke. Huge difference from last year's Canada GP!!!!

#10575 Scotracer

Scotracer

• 2,692 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:30

Michael was attacking the last chicane more than anyone today...he was consistently faster than anyone in the last sector because of it.

#10576 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,287 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:39

Absolutely inspiring drive from the Schu today. It finally felt like he was his old self again until the track dried and the car let him down. We got a taste of what he can race like on equal footing with the frontrunners today--who knows how competitive he would be if Mercedes produced some top-flight machinery in 2012? Seems that the rumours about him signing on 'til 2014 might not be so ill-founded.

Either way, awesome race for him, and probably the best race of his comeback so far. Just goes to show that there really is a reward for never giving up. :D

#10577 black magic

black magic

• 3,854 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:20

importantly it will also lay done a marker for the rest of his team members - it will cement the realisation that he is something special and maybe to date they might have been questioning that.

the admiration his mechanics hold him was something he always developed and now perhaps also mercedes will have that belief in him.

#10578 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:11

as I remember the rules the defending driver doesn't have drs so it's not exactly the same you know

he means it makes the people crap at overtaking into overtaking masters and he sees it as something good :down:

you can use it on backmarkers aswell :down: its turning f1 into time attack

#10579 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,289 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:14

Im still so disappointed really. I really wanted to see him on that podium which he deserved a lot more then Webber. But with DRS i knew it would be so hard to keep both Webber and Button behind, and plus they had a faster car as well. If the DRS wouldnt have been there there is no doubt in my mind that he would have been on the podium here.

But still it shows this guy is still so good, at his age doing this stuff is just amazing and im proud to see him do all this and taking all the crap and still carry on. Maybe Mercedes will give him so more support and listen a bit more to him.

Advertisement

#10580 Ruf

Ruf

• 1,278 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:19

Its the damn DRS. Placement like Turkey was a joke.

Not only that. The "let's design on purpose tires who dissintegrate themselves, all in the name of entertainment; screw the sport" Pirellis who had the biggest contribution. I'm pretty sure that even with the DRS Michael could have defended from Webber; Button not so much, he was way too fast but he was behind Webber anyway. (yes, I know, everyone has the same tires).

Also I can't help thinking that should the last Safety car stayed on track a couple more laps Shumi's tires would have lasted just enough to get the podium, either that or the 2h mark would come into effect. (how long did the race last anyway?)

Anyway, fantastic drive by Schumacher! The master teaching the youngsters how it's done. Bravo! :clap:

#10581 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 641 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:23

Looking at the times in the last laps, considering how Webber had stressed out his tires before as well, it seems to me like holding him off could have been a possibility, even with the silly DRS. Not easy at all, of course, as the lack of DRS surely did not aid Webber in the remaining laps, when Schumi started catching up again, but it just feels like that was a real chance.

#10582 vsubravet

vsubravet

• 2,121 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:26

Im still so disappointed really. I really wanted to see him on that podium which he deserved a lot more then Webber. But with DRS i knew it would be so hard to keep both Webber and Button behind, and plus they had a faster car as well. If the DRS wouldnt have been there there is no doubt in my mind that he would have been on the podium here.

But still it shows this guy is still so good, at his age doing this stuff is just amazing and im proud to see him do all this and taking all the crap and still carry on. Maybe Mercedes will give him so more support and listen a bit more to him.

:up: Absolutely. One should really appreciate the fact that he is nearly 10 years elder to when compared to his front-running competitors (Webber) and he still showed plenty of fire and skill. You just can't help but admire him for all what he is doing on track. I wonder what kind of results would SV or FA or LH deliver in a similar car at a similar age as MS.

The more I see him the more I want him to succeed and get on to the podium, maybe even sneak a win. I never liked him when he was at Ferrari but the old man won me over now!!! Ha,ha, ha!!

#10583 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:35

Yup, was like turning back the clock for a while there :clap:

If the next 12 races were wet/damp then we might see a lot more, but I can't see it in the dry :well:

#10584 pRy

pRy

• 10,874 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:37

I think this weekend will reassure him he made the right decision and it's just up to Mercedes now to give him a car that can consistently run towards the front.

#10585 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,725 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:44

That's the hunger & fight I wanna see from Schumi. He was immense & unfortunate to miss out on a podium, I was urging him on my ex-favourite driver just behind my favourite driver right now it would've been a great 1st & 2nd.

#10586 EdwardCullen

EdwardCullen

• 763 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:47

Yup, was like turning back the clock for a while there :clap:

Yup , once they showed Corrina ....i thought next they where going to show Hakkinen's wife :lol:

#10587 biala

biala

• 11 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:57

Schumi is the most important man for the F1 show these days!
I am sure that if he was not on the track again the TV audience will be less.

#10588 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:58

Those "German" video tapes did the trick. :p

#10589 rommel

rommel

• 294 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:00

Michael looked good today, at least he is becoming competent in recent races.

#10590 autonomous

autonomous

• 36 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:19

Yes it lessens the quality of racing for all drivers the same.

Indeed.

Canada certainly wasn't a good advert for DRS, yes, as the poster you replied to pointed out it is available for all of the drivers but it negates any hard work put in by someone in a slower car; and where does that leave the skill of defensive driving?

Yesterday DRS was excessive, a great shame for the closing laps. Personally I don't begrudge Mark and Jenson getting by but the manner in which they did looked comically easy, and scant reward for Michael's efforts.

#10591 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,244 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:11

This race felt like Japan 2006. I mean, exactly same. Same bitterness. I know they are totally different, but the feeling is the same.

Apart from that, welcome ol' man :up:

#10592 expert

expert

• 1,030 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:24

Great race from Michael, good strategy from Mercedes. Would have been great to see him on the podium but at the end of the day he wasn't one of the top 3 fastest guys and it was only really circumstance that saw him up in second to begin with.

If Alonso, Massa and Hamilton didn't have issues he probably would have been lower than 4th. So he should celebrate this result but not get carried away.

#10593 differential

differential

• 454 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:30

Great race from Michael, good strategy from Mercedes. Would have been great to see him on the podium but at the end of the day he wasn't one of the top 3 fastest guys and it was only really circumstance that saw him up in second to begin with.

If Alonso, Massa and Hamilton didn't have issues he probably would have been lower than 4th. So he should celebrate this result but not get carried away.

In dry track no he wasnt (due the crap cars pace on dry tracks) , but on the wet he certainly was. His performance was worthy of a podium don't you think?

#10594 differential

differential

• 454 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:31

Man, I tell you, seeing Schumacher smelling the podium, wanting the podium, BEING the podium, only to watch it get snatched from under him like taking candy from a baby, must have been one of the most satisfying experience of my watching Motorsports in my life!!!!! :up:

Wow.

You have some sad life, is it due to the tortue Schumi gave you in his previous career?

:wave:

#10595 differential

differential

• 454 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:33

I beg to differ, it looked like a Monaco situation. Yes they were closing in on him but would they have got past without the extra 5kph? Didnt webber have a weak system of KERS? So I think it wouldve equalled it out. Button probably would have got passed but not sure about webber.

#10596 differential

differential

• 454 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:34

Nah wouldnt say so unless they fire that crappy strategist and give a competitive car.

#10597 eoin

eoin

• 5,010 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:47

Schumacher has been a bit of a miracle working in the last 2 races. He has past Hamilton twice, been past once and defended against a number of his moves and has managed NOT to end up in the wall, spun around or be rear-ended!

#10598 differential

differential

• 454 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:51

Schumacher has been a bit of a miracle working in the last 2 races. He has past Hamilton twice, been past once and defended against a number of his moves and has managed NOT to end up in the wall, spun around or be rear-ended!

Yeah he can drive on the edge without making mistakes (unlike Hamilton and co.) which separates him from the rest.

#10599 ApolloBluecat

ApolloBluecat

• 23 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:55

Michael's experience showed today, didn't put a foot wrong. Got the best out of a car that is acknowledged to be a unpredictable machine. He could not have done any better than he did, simple as that.

Advertisement

#10600 eoin

eoin

• 5,010 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:02

Yeah he can drive on the edge without making mistakes (unlike Hamilton and co.) which separates him from the rest.

Everyone makes mistake- Schumacher in Turkey? Hamilton has been driving at a very high level for years without making many mistakes- especially considering that he is one of the most aggressive drivers.