Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20770 replies to this topic

#10601 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 20:09

Yes , they all can use it on the main straight(start-finish), after they use it on the big straight. Detection point was only one, after that you can use DRS on both straights, this is the moment Webber pass MS and he can still open his DRS on following main straight. They all use it on both straights.

Ah I see, I thought they had two detection points.

Advertisement

#10602 Skanka

Skanka

• 95 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 20:15

A superb drive from Schumacher, finally! Yay! :up:

Since Japan 2010 he's been roughly on par with Rosberg but now that was a great performance, reminiscent of the driver he was before retiring in 2006. Hopefully he will be able to build on this good performance to some more nice results, if only Mercedes can finally fix this crap of a car they currently have.

#10603 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 3,535 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 20:29

I have to admit I didn't really keep an eye out for Michael during most of the race, so I don't know exactly how and why he got up into 2nd, but it was good fun to see him so high up the running order. Bit of a shame for him to miss out on the podium, would have been nice for him and the team. :)

#10604 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 20:37

Stefano Domenicali:
"But we have to see that Red Bull has built an outstanding car; so good that in a victory the car is usually listed first as the winner before the driver. When we dominated, it was always Michael Schumacher first and then Ferrari. Now it's Red Bull and then Sebastian Vettel."

http://en.espnf1.com...tory/51564.html

I find management philosophy expresed in this interview with Domenicalli rather puzzling. Is he saying that while working for Ferrari you are not allowed to fail because there will be price to pay? If so, then that's the probably fastest way how to kill the innovation, because no one will stick his neck out and have his head cut off.

Edited by Sakae, 13 June 2011 - 20:37.

#10605 differential

differential

• 454 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 21:25

I find management philosophy expresed in this interview with Domenicalli rather puzzling. Is he saying that while working for Ferrari you are not allowed to fail because there will be price to pay? If so, then that's the probably fastest way how to kill the innovation, because no one will stick his neck out and have his head cut off.

:up:

Nah let him carry on so Merc can steal them ;).

Edited by differential, 13 June 2011 - 21:25.

#10606 valachus

valachus

• 1,091 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 22:41

"the removal of technical director Aldo Costa was required to display the penalty if the team didn't deliver results. "There was no other solution," he said. "It was a necessary step to re-motivate the team and show them that there are no excuses, only consequences."

^^^ sounds like someone who's got his management diploma at the Joseph Stalin School of Labor Camp Administration. :lol:

#10607 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,500 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 23:24

LOL Stefano. He's just trying to get to Vettel's head, saying that the difference between Vettel and Schumi is:

When Schumi was winning, it was his amazing performances that brought them in. When Vettel is winning, it is his amazing car that is allowing him to win. He's treating true F1 fans like fools, when he knows damn well how much the car matters.

#10608 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 00:56

And where is the axe on sd's neck?

Schumacher drove excellent. Delivered the best finish of merc this season.

#10609 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:16

And where is the axe on sd's neck?

Schumacher drove excellent. Delivered the best finish of merc this season.

Indeed, If he can qualify that close to Rosberg and then outrace him like Canada then the calls to give it away get muted. Good drive Michael.

#10610 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:45

LOL Stefano. He's just trying to get to Vettel's head, saying that the difference between Vettel and Schumi is:

When Schumi was winning, it was his amazing performances that brought them in. When Vettel is winning, it is his amazing car that is allowing him to win. He's treating true F1 fans like fools, when he knows damn well how much the car matters.

the difference is in the ferrari days you could visbily see the cars were on the edge properly pushing, these days everything always looks so controlled like the cars are driving themselfs so its hard not to think that for some people

#10611 Pits

Pits

• 415 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:45

Here's the video of Schumi's small post race interview with BBC. :)

TY, I hoped that the full interview was available, strange that they cut it of halfway... :well:

#10612 differential

differential

• 454 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:19

TY, I hoped that the full interview was available, strange that they cut it of halfway... :well:

The interview was short anyway you didnt miss much at the end IIRC.

#10613 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,264 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:06

Watching the race, I think it's fair to say that MS deserved a podium - even a win - but that the W02 didn't....

#10614 karlth

karlth

• 16,260 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:08

Even I was cheering the old warrior during the second part of the race. Great gutsy driving and he almost caught Webber again on the last lap.

#10615 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:25

Whole world is breathing easier today, seeing that Michael is back. No more pretending where the car is.

#10616 peroa

peroa

• 9,083 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:31

Even I was cheering the old warrior during the second part of the race. Great gutsy driving and he almost caught Webber again on the last lap.

I was too but the DRS destroyed a great drive from grandpa.
Sad, really.

#10617 Jordana

Jordana

• 740 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:33

Simply the best, simply Schumi...

#10618 Afterburner

Afterburner

• 4,214 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 15:01

Norbert Haug is pleased with Schumacher's efforts in Canada.

Michael Schumacher has proven beyond all doubt that he is still capable of delivering when Mercedes GP is able to give him the machinery, following his strong showing in the Canadian Grand Prix.

That is the view of Mercedes-Benz motorsport boss Norbert Haug, who believes that Schumacher's fiery drive in Montreal - where he just missed out on a podium after running as high as second at one point – was the return of the seven-time champion to his best.

#10619 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 15:21

The problem is team can't provide him with winning car. They just can't build such.

Advertisement

#10620 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,622 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 15:38

He was fantastic this weekend. I really enjoyed it.

interviewed by DC before the race

#10621 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 15:48

Little OT, but both, Michael and Seb have soft thing for that girl. If she is friendly, and not confrontational with every question like some others are, why not then? Good for her! (Lee McKenzie - Seb took her for a spin on the track in Infiniti).

Edited by Sakae, 14 June 2011 - 17:36.

#10622 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 759 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 15:57

I have to admit I didn't really keep an eye out for Michael during most of the race, so I don't know exactly how and why he got up into 2nd, but it was good fun to see him so high up the running order. Bit of a shame for him to miss out on the podium, would have been nice for him and the team. :)

He was easily the fastest on inters on a drying track and was going around people with no problem. When he was in fourth position behind Massa and Koyabashi he got them both at the same time as they tangled with each other.

Don't forget he went around Slamilton early on which could have been the impetus for the red mist rising again.

#10623 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 759 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 15:57

He was easily the fastest on inters on a drying track and was going around people with no problem. When he was in fourth position behind Massa and Koyabashi he got them both at the same time as they tangled with each other.

Don't forget he went around Slamilton early on which could have been the impetus for the red mist rising again.

#10624 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 16:00

Good one. :rotfl:

#10625 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 16:49

Lol! New ones every day. Slamilton, Ramilton, Bambamilton. What's next? :lol:

OT: Won't forget sundays drive in a hurry! Hope MGP can keep on consistently giving him a proper racing car and he might excite us even more in races to come. :smoking:

#10626 walkindude

walkindude

• 867 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 17:26

I love Michael Schumacher.That drive was well worth effin up the last exam of my bachelors.We want more.

#10627 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 19:39

Just look at Corinna Schumacher's reaction when Button overtakes Schumi! Although I knew it was going to happen I was also going like oh no no no no...! :|

Edited by merschu, 14 June 2011 - 19:41.

#10628 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 339 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 20:00

The problem is team can't provide him with winning car. They just can't build such.

Problem is he rarely beats his team mate.

#10629 weston

weston

• 375 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 20:07

Problem is he rarely beats his team mate.

Really? In the races? For example in the past 10-12 races? How are they dead even in points after 7 races in 2011?
You are not really good at math.

Edited by weston, 14 June 2011 - 20:18.

#10630 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,500 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 20:43

the difference is in the ferrari days you could visbily see the cars were on the edge properly pushing, these days everything always looks so controlled like the cars are driving themselfs so its hard not to think that for some people

What. Have you seen how much oversteer there has been coming off of corner exit this year? The car's are really on edge. Was taking away traction control and abs for nothing then? I don't understand.

#10631 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 21:02

What. Have you seen how much oversteer there has been coming off of corner exit this year? The car's are really on edge. Was taking away traction control and abs for nothing then? I don't understand.

go find the "schumacher pushing hard hungary 1998" video and you will see what a car on the edge used to look like back then they looked so alive

#10632 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 339 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 21:26

Really? In the races? For example in the past 10-12 races? How are they dead even in points after 7 races in 2011?
You are not really good at math.

You're the one who said races....

Whats the qualifying stat this year, and add that to last year?

Or if you prefer, the last 10-12 races?

Seriously mate, if you needed to bet your house on one finishing in front of the other, you wouldn't pick Schummy

even Schummy wouldn't pick Schummy!

#10633 baddog

baddog

• 24,022 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 21:40

You do know what the purpose of qualifying is right? And that it is, if not reflected in race results, a waste of effort?

If I were a betting person I would, on the basis of REAL RESULTS over the last effective season, put mine on michael to finish ahead this year.

#10634 Aloisioitaly

Aloisioitaly

• 272 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 21:56

Seriously mate, if you needed to bet your house on one finishing in front of the other, you wouldn't pick Schummy

Qualifying stats mean nothing. Points: this is what championship is all about. Schuy and Nico are even so far: i don't know who's the one i would pick, but for sure i wouldn't pick the clunker they have to drive each gp.

#10635 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 1,629 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 22:36

I love Michael Schumacher.That drive was well worth effin up the last exam of my bachelors.We want more.

You and me both for both parts of your comment :cry:

#10636 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 23:23

Points aren't awarded on the Saturday after qualifying.

Edited by Ferrari_F1_fan_2001, 14 June 2011 - 23:23.

#10637 exmayol

exmayol

• 556 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:06

I guess they are awarded in NR vs MS thread hence the excitement from certain individuals.

#10638 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 339 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:25

Thanks, you learn something new everyday

Points can be misleading though, however I agree, over a full season some conclusions can be made. Like last years points tally between the two, I can't remember what it was off the top of my head, any ideas?

Again, if I was to bet my house on it, Rosberg will end up with more.

I'm sure the majority of sane fans would go along with that.

So back to the original point, instead of bitching about the car, his fans need to realise that even with a race winning car, he would still be beaten.

#10639 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:37

So back to the original point, instead of bitching about the car, his fans need to realise that even with a race winning car, he would still be beaten.

I don't think that we will live to see that. Winning MGP car I mean.

Advertisement

#10640 baddog

baddog

• 24,022 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:37

Except he is not currently being beaten in the one they have. You can redefine terms all day and that wont change.

#10641 differential

differential

• 454 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:30

Quali is useless as you should already know: see webber's 2nd place at china.... tyres+drs+kers are much more important on dry tracks especially, than your quali position.

#10642 kar

kar

• 10,320 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:30

Have to say I had a massive grin this weekend watching the race. Firstly when Coulthard said Michael even on 3 wheels was faster than him in Spa 1998, and then again at the way Michael managed to wring the most out of the merc in very tricky conditions.

When I heard Brundle launching into 'and Michael Schumacher is absolutely flying out there setting the fastest lap' for a moment I felt 16 again :)

I'm not 16 anymore, and Schumacher sure as heck aint in his 20s, but it was a nice moment for us Schumi fans who have had a hard time of it these past couple of seasons :)

#10643 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 13:25

Have to say I had a massive grin this weekend watching the race. Firstly when Coulthard said Michael even on 3 wheels was faster than him in Spa 1998, and then again at the way Michael managed to wring the most out of the merc in very tricky conditions.

When I heard Brundle launching into 'and Michael Schumacher is absolutely flying out there setting the fastest lap' for a moment I felt 16 again :)

I'm not 16 anymore, and Schumacher sure as heck aint in his 20s, but it was a nice moment for us Schumi fans who have had a hard time of it these past couple of seasons :)

pretty much crushes the theory some people had that MSC could nolonger react to micro slides , or he could no longer feel the grip.

#10644 Bernoulli

Bernoulli

• 125 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 13:41

Shit/ He ruined Ferrari's party :o

#10645 differential

differential

• 454 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 14:31

pretty much crushes the theory some people had that MSC could nolonger react to micro slides , or he could no longer feel the grip.

he silenced the critics (still no sign of frans :rotfl: :stoned: :clap: )

too bad we won;t see it again, this piece of crap car.

#10646 jav

jav

• 197 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 14:35

One of the most enjoyable races I've seen in a while and this year has had some good ones. This was the kind of performance I was expecting from Schumacher by mid season last year. Not a win- but looking liike a challenger.

Kind of makes you question what goes so wrong with the car in the dry that he looks so outclassed.

#10647 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 759 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 15:00

he silenced the critics (still no sign of frans :rotfl: :stoned: :clap: )

Frans has difficulty digesting crow.

#10648 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 759 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 15:04

One of the most enjoyable races I've seen in a while and this year has had some good ones. This was the kind of performance I was expecting from Schumacher by mid season last year. Not a win- but looking liike a challenger.

Kind of makes you question what goes so wrong with the car in the dry that he looks so outclassed.

It eats the rear tires up to quickly.

Yeah, that performance on a changing track was like a breath of fresh air. I haven't seen one like that since the Ferrari days.

#10649 differential

differential

• 454 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 16:15

It eats the rear tires up to quickly.

Yeah, that performance on a changing track was like a breath of fresh air. I haven't seen one like that since the Ferrari days.

:up:

Felt like brazil 06 all over again till the track started to dry.

#10650 Johnrambo

Johnrambo

• 940 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 16:37

The car is fine. Problem is MS is badly over the hill and Rosberg is a mediocre journeyman.