Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#10651 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 318 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 21:26

Really? In the races? For example in the past 10-12 races? How are they dead even in points after 7 races in 2011?
You are not really good at math.

You're the one who said races....

Whats the qualifying stat this year, and add that to last year?

Or if you prefer, the last 10-12 races?

Seriously mate, if you needed to bet your house on one finishing in front of the other, you wouldn't pick Schummy

even Schummy wouldn't pick Schummy!

Advertisement

#10652 baddog

baddog

• 23,254 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 21:40

You do know what the purpose of qualifying is right? And that it is, if not reflected in race results, a waste of effort?

If I were a betting person I would, on the basis of REAL RESULTS over the last effective season, put mine on michael to finish ahead this year.

#10653 Aloisioitaly

Aloisioitaly

• 272 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 21:56

Seriously mate, if you needed to bet your house on one finishing in front of the other, you wouldn't pick Schummy

Qualifying stats mean nothing. Points: this is what championship is all about. Schuy and Nico are even so far: i don't know who's the one i would pick, but for sure i wouldn't pick the clunker they have to drive each gp.

#10654 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 1,201 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 22:36

I love Michael Schumacher.That drive was well worth effin up the last exam of my bachelors.We want more.

You and me both for both parts of your comment :cry:

#10655 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,907 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 23:23

Points aren't awarded on the Saturday after qualifying.

Edited by Ferrari_F1_fan_2001, 14 June 2011 - 23:23.

#10656 exmayol

exmayol

• 551 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:06

I guess they are awarded in NR vs MS thread hence the excitement from certain individuals.

#10657 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 318 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:25

Thanks, you learn something new everyday

Points can be misleading though, however I agree, over a full season some conclusions can be made. Like last years points tally between the two, I can't remember what it was off the top of my head, any ideas?

Again, if I was to bet my house on it, Rosberg will end up with more.

I'm sure the majority of sane fans would go along with that.

So back to the original point, instead of bitching about the car, his fans need to realise that even with a race winning car, he would still be beaten.

#10658 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:37

So back to the original point, instead of bitching about the car, his fans need to realise that even with a race winning car, he would still be beaten.

I don't think that we will live to see that. Winning MGP car I mean.

#10659 baddog

baddog

• 23,254 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:37

Except he is not currently being beaten in the one they have. You can redefine terms all day and that wont change.

Advertisement

#10660 differential

differential

• 454 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:30

Quali is useless as you should already know: see webber's 2nd place at china.... tyres+drs+kers are much more important on dry tracks especially, than your quali position.

#10661 kar

kar

• 10,307 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:30

Have to say I had a massive grin this weekend watching the race. Firstly when Coulthard said Michael even on 3 wheels was faster than him in Spa 1998, and then again at the way Michael managed to wring the most out of the merc in very tricky conditions.

When I heard Brundle launching into 'and Michael Schumacher is absolutely flying out there setting the fastest lap' for a moment I felt 16 again :)

I'm not 16 anymore, and Schumacher sure as heck aint in his 20s, but it was a nice moment for us Schumi fans who have had a hard time of it these past couple of seasons :)

#10662 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 13:25

Have to say I had a massive grin this weekend watching the race. Firstly when Coulthard said Michael even on 3 wheels was faster than him in Spa 1998, and then again at the way Michael managed to wring the most out of the merc in very tricky conditions.

When I heard Brundle launching into 'and Michael Schumacher is absolutely flying out there setting the fastest lap' for a moment I felt 16 again :)

I'm not 16 anymore, and Schumacher sure as heck aint in his 20s, but it was a nice moment for us Schumi fans who have had a hard time of it these past couple of seasons :)

pretty much crushes the theory some people had that MSC could nolonger react to micro slides , or he could no longer feel the grip.

#10663 Bernoulli

Bernoulli

• 125 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 13:41

Shit/ He ruined Ferrari's party :o

#10664 differential

differential

• 454 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 14:31

pretty much crushes the theory some people had that MSC could nolonger react to micro slides , or he could no longer feel the grip.

he silenced the critics (still no sign of frans :rotfl: :stoned: :clap: )

too bad we won;t see it again, this piece of crap car.

#10665 jav

jav

• 197 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 14:35

One of the most enjoyable races I've seen in a while and this year has had some good ones. This was the kind of performance I was expecting from Schumacher by mid season last year. Not a win- but looking liike a challenger.

Kind of makes you question what goes so wrong with the car in the dry that he looks so outclassed.

#10666 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 730 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 15:00

he silenced the critics (still no sign of frans :rotfl: :stoned: :clap: )

Frans has difficulty digesting crow.

#10667 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 730 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 15:04

One of the most enjoyable races I've seen in a while and this year has had some good ones. This was the kind of performance I was expecting from Schumacher by mid season last year. Not a win- but looking liike a challenger.

Kind of makes you question what goes so wrong with the car in the dry that he looks so outclassed.

It eats the rear tires up to quickly.

Yeah, that performance on a changing track was like a breath of fresh air. I haven't seen one like that since the Ferrari days.

#10668 differential

differential

• 454 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 16:15

It eats the rear tires up to quickly.

Yeah, that performance on a changing track was like a breath of fresh air. I haven't seen one like that since the Ferrari days.

:up:

Felt like brazil 06 all over again till the track started to dry.

#10669 Johnrambo

Johnrambo

• 940 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 16:37

The car is fine. Problem is MS is badly over the hill and Rosberg is a mediocre journeyman.

#10670 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,716 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 16:44

The car is fine. Problem is MS is badly over the hill and Rosberg is a mediocre journeyman.

you're here again with this crap?

the car is fine, you're right. the problem is the other ones are better :p

Edited by MikeTekRacing, 15 June 2011 - 16:44.

#10671 weston

weston

• 370 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 14:17

"After Dirk Nowitzki became the first German to win an NBA title last weekend, Bild started a poll to find out who was regarded as the best sportsperson that Germany has produced. Out of over 56,000 votes, Schumacher came out on top earning over 28% of the share. That was more than double the amount of second-placed man Franz Beckenbauer, with the football legend receiving less than 13%."

It seems that his legacy remained intact.

#10672 Jordana

Jordana

• 740 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 14:31

Too much alcohol perhaps? :rotfl:

#10673 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,907 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 16:45

No suprise he is rated the best. He was at the top of his game for 16 years straight and even now, at the age of 42 has still demonstrated he is VERY VERY competitive and still has the (or some of) speed and still deserves to be in F1 on pure merit.

He is an icon.

Edited by Ferrari_F1_fan_2001, 16 June 2011 - 16:45.

#10674 Jordana

Jordana

• 740 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 16:54

No suprise he is rated the best. He was at the top of his game for 16 years straight and even now, at the age of 42 has still demonstrated he is VERY VERY competitive and still has the (or some of) speed and still deserves to be in F1 on pure merit.

He is an icon.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

#10675 Tarun

Tarun

• 51 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 19:30

The seven time world champion legend Michael Schumacher will complete his three year contract with Mercedes GP. The critics, the fans and the experts were saying he may be retiring from F1 after this season. But Brawn today said in an interview that Mercedes definitely have one more year with Schumacher.

Brawn: We definitely have another year with Michael

#10676 Johnrambo

Johnrambo

• 940 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 19:50

Too much alcohol perhaps? :rotfl:

Well do you think Rosberg is in the same league as Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton or Button? I think Rosberg is no better than guys like Sutil, Trulli or Petrov. OTOH maybe worse than Petrov though! And still during their time as team-mates he has totally kicked Schumachers butt.

#10677 Apollonius

Apollonius

• 601 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 19:57

I just pray that Mercedes can give Michael a car worthy of his talents next year. Schumacher's performance in Canada has silenced a lot of critics.

#10678 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 20:02

I don't think so... One thing that driving in the car requires (AFAIK) is that it makes the 'events' last over a longer period. So a slide is a sliiiiide. Driving in the rain requires more 'feel', yes, but I don't think it requires microfeel...

#10679 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,293 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 23:52

"I find it incredible that in a year and a half he has failed to do so," the Italian told Sky Sports 24.

"I was pleased to see him up there and do not forget all that he gave to us," said Montezemolo

Luca after Canada

Edited by Raelene, 16 June 2011 - 23:53.

Advertisement

#10680 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 23:57

i agree he's definitely not the same driver he was, but im expecting him to have some more great races this year. :up:

#10681 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,716 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 00:01

I don't think so... One thing that driving in the car requires (AFAIK) is that it makes the 'events' last over a longer period. So a slide is a sliiiiide. Driving in the rain requires more 'feel', yes, but I don't think it requires microfeel...

wtf is micro-feel?!

feel is feel and that's it. you either feel it or you don't.
driving in the rain requires you to feel the grip and commit to a different speed lap after lap as track changes dramatically. you can't slide your way out of badly judged situations.

the slides you see are very small corrections.
to achieve a similar behaviour in dry conditions you need a car that uses its tyres very very well other wise you end up frying them in a couple of laps.

he's certainly got less feel than 10 years ago but I don't think by much. Completely different situations to compare with.
michael from canada looked very different to michael from turkey...michael from the 1st stint in monaco looked very different to michael from the 2nd stint
circumstances mean a lot

#10682 genespleen

genespleen

• 341 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 00:30

Well do you think Rosberg is in the same league as Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton or Button? I think Rosberg is no better than guys like Sutil, Trulli or Petrov. OTOH maybe worse than Petrov though! And still during their time as team-mates he has totally kicked Schumachers butt.

That says nothing to your seemingly ignorant claim that "the car is fine." (Have you been following technical discussions of the car?) Why do you write that about a car that is clearly problematic? I think you just get a kick out of stirring the pot.

#10683 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:12

Never thought I'd ever say this but I was GUTTED that Michael missed the podium.

#10684 Williams

Williams

• 6,829 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:31

I just pray that Mercedes can give Michael a car worthy of his talents next year. Schumacher's performance in Canada has silenced a lot of critics.

I think Schumacher's near-success in Canada had more to do with being on the right tires at the right time. It was soon as the track started to dry out that he began to lose his hard-fought track position. Agreed that he needs a better car but so does every mid-field driver.

#10685 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:29

I think Schumacher's near-success in Canada had more to do with being on the right tires at the right time. It was soon as the track started to dry out that he began to lose his hard-fought track position. Agreed that he needs a better car but so does every mid-field driver.

What Canada also showed was perhaps that bit of spirit, as you would always race harder, when you can smell a sniff of a great result, and with Vettel making that mistake to allow Button to get through, you wonder if it remained wet, if Schumacher could of kept Vettel honest enough to the end to get a similar sort of mistake out of him, Vettel will go for the win regardless, but he was really pushed by Button's pace with Mclaren, and Schumacher himself showed perhaps that Spa 1998 grit, getting right up on the kerbs/ultimate extraction from certain sectors to keep Webber behind him, and he would of gotten the job done like he did back in the days, except the DRS this time out took away his hard work, and it didn't help the FIA kept their safety cars out too long at the wrong times, I mean if your going to run wet tyres, let the drivers who are going to go for it, go for it, not wait until inters are needed, which defeats the purpose of a wet tyre. I think for the first wet race of the season we got our answer regarding Schuey more, I think at Korea last year in the rain he was very solid, but missing that extra grit, maybe the pirelli tyres in general and his progress in understanding the rubber has gotten to the level we expected last year more often, and even in the dry at Monaco qualifying/Canada qualifying, he was up there, so that dry running performance reflected his race performance in the wet as well. If the merc can get better, it'll be a fasinating 2nd half of the season. Schuey's ready, patient and willing, his comments about we have no magic makes sense, ferrari are struggeling for wins, redbull where nowhere back in in the DC/Vettel years.

Hakkinen waited 5 years for his title with Mclaren, Kimi waited and never got his with mclaren despite 5 years with them, yet first year with ferrari, he got his first and only from shiney ferrari left over from Schuey's team, then went without one, then retired. Hamilton will likely have to wait for 5 years for his 2nd title, Alonso already is and hasn't won a title since MS retired.

Edited by SeanValen, 17 June 2011 - 02:40.

#10686 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:40

We'll need (at least I'll do) more of that in more races in order to get some of us silenced. Not that I'm saying it's not gonna happen...

Edited by AdamKOR, 17 June 2011 - 02:41.

#10687 baddog

baddog

• 23,254 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:42

He was on the same tyres as the cars around him. Im not sure where you are going here, but the entire point was that the slippery road and inters equalised car performance to an extent, and boom there he was. This implies that with a more competitive car he would be there.

If there is any factor that could minimise his performance it would be the visibly higher downforce config on the merc compared to the rb and mac.

#10688 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:42

wtf is micro-feel?!

feel is feel and that's it. you either feel it or you don't.
driving in the rain requires you to feel the grip and commit to a different speed lap after lap as track changes dramatically. you can't slide your way out of badly judged situations.

the slides you see are very small corrections.
to achieve a similar behaviour in dry conditions you need a car that uses its tyres very very well other wise you end up frying them in a couple of laps.

he's certainly got less feel than 10 years ago but I don't think by much. Completely different situations to compare with.
michael from canada looked very different to michael from turkey...michael from the 1st stint in monaco looked very different to michael from the 2nd stint
circumstances mean a lot

Forgive me if I sound professor-like, I am a tenniscoach with a keen interest in motorskills. There are different kinds of feel. I am talking about feel of touch and feel of balance.

With 'Microfeel' I mean small motor skills. It has to do with the sense in your fingers and your toes. I, for example, do have microfeel, despite the fact that I have huge long fingers. I can fiddle with watches, toys, and such stuff and repair it. I can pick up a spoon with my toes.

The feel you mean is dependant on large motorskills. It has to with the inner ear, where the balance-organ of the human being is situated. Basically it is a drum on which small thingies float over a film of nerves, like grains of sand on a piece of paper. If the human body rocks, those movements of the 'grains' 'tell' the body it is moving, and which direction. I am quite bad at that kind of 'feel', and on the tenniscourt that means that I have sometimes 'keel' over. The plus-side is: I never get seasick or carsick. I find it telling, therefore, that Schumacher gets sick often in the simulator. For me, it's a telltale sign of a very strong feel of balance.

Edited by Chezrome, 17 June 2011 - 07:43.

#10689 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:43

Schumacher searching for Valencia encouragement
http://www.gpupdate....-encouragement/
“After an encouraging weekend in Canada, it’s nice being back in Europe again, where we start the summer season,” Schumacher said on Friday, ahead of next weekend’s race.
“Valencia stages one of the more unusual races in the calendar, with a street circuit which in my view is very attractive for both us drivers and the fans. I enjoyed the weekend here last year as the track is, surprisingly for a street track, quite fast and flowing, so I’m looking forward to going there.
“Of course we hope that we can put on a good show, deliver a strong performance and experience another encouraging weekend, before we head to our home races in England and Germany.”

Edited by ivand911, 17 June 2011 - 09:44.

#10690 weston

weston

• 370 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 15:24

Schumacher searching for Valencia encouragement
http://www.gpupdate....-encouragement/
“After an encouraging weekend in Canada, it’s nice being back in Europe again, where we start the summer season,” Schumacher said on Friday, ahead of next weekend’s race.
“Valencia stages one of the more unusual races in the calendar, with a street circuit which in my view is very attractive for both us drivers and the fans. I enjoyed the weekend here last year as the track is, surprisingly for a street track, quite fast and flowing, so I’m looking forward to going there.
“Of course we hope that we can put on a good show, deliver a strong performance and experience another encouraging weekend, before we head to our home races in England and Germany.”

As far as I remember Schumacher had a terrible weekend and an awful race in Valencia last year. 15th place or something like this.

Edited by weston, 17 June 2011 - 15:25.

#10691 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 15:26

As far as I remember Schumacher had a terrible weekend and race in Valencia last year. 15th place or something like this.

He was third , before team cock up. He was looking for strong result. 5-7th.

#10692 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 639 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 15:28

It was a bad weekend for MGP, but I don't quite remember the causes.

Then again, everything between Turkey and Japan was pretty bad for Schumi, except for Spa.

#10693 Johnrambo

Johnrambo

• 940 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 16:12

That says nothing to your seemingly ignorant claim that "the car is fine." (Have you been following technical discussions of the car?) Why do you write that about a car that is clearly problematic? I think you just get a kick out of stirring the pot.

:rolleyes:

If one looks at Webbers performances this season Red Bull is a problematic car. If one looks Massa's performances this season Ferrari is a problematic car.

#10694 weston

weston

• 370 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 16:16

If one looks at Webbers performances this season Red Bull is a problematic car. If one looks Massa's performances this season Ferrari is a problematic car.

If one looks at both Rosberg's and Schumacher's performances this season Mercedes is a problematic car.

Edited by weston, 17 June 2011 - 16:16.

#10695 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 18:41

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded
Still MS is who have the biggest picture. The most helmets there. Most pictures too. :clap:

Edited by ivand911, 17 June 2011 - 18:44.

#10696 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 18:51

If one looks at Liuzzi's and Karthikyan's performances HRT is a problematic car.

#10697 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 22:33

He was third , before team cock up. He was looking for strong result. 5-7th.

More that slightly misleading.
He was third for one lap when everyone ahead had pitted and he had not. He was running in P10 prior to that.

Edited by Dunder, 18 June 2011 - 00:41.

#10698 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 22:44

Still MS is who have the biggest picture. The most helmets there. Most pictures too. :clap:

nice

#10699 differential

differential

• 454 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 00:24

He will always be the main guy there lol.

Advertisement

#10700 Afterburner

Afterburner

• 3,200 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:36

More that slightly misleading.
He was third for one lap when everyone ahead had pitted and he had not. He was running in P10 prior to that.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I don't ever recall Schumacher running any higher than eighth during laster year's race at Valencia--I almost had to go back and check to make sure that I was thinking of the right race, lol.