Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#11701 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 13:12

What a dismal lap time. MASSIVE gap to Rosberg. I dont know why bothers. I really dont. :(

Biggest problem will be spin or to keep FW tomorrow, for now two places behind Nico is not problem. Michael have usually bad Qualy, but usually he lose in the races with some mistake. He wanted 9th than 8th according to his interview(clear side).

Advertisement

#11702 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 13:13

He´ll be 8th, maybe 7th after the first lap anyway. The rest is preserve the tyres as much as you can.

Edited by Urawa, 30 July 2011 - 13:14.

#11703 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 639 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 13:14

Judging from his interview post-quali, in which he said that had they know Perez wasn't driving, they would've approached the lap differently, I can only conclude that he had no hopes whatsoever for more today.

#11704 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,235 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 13:16

Now it's become a vicious circle for Schumacher supporters.

Agony on Saturday night, joy on Sunday night.

I think Schumacher totally accepted Rosberg's one-lap advantage and started to tune himself and car onto the race (if there ever was such thing).

#11705 Lelouch

Lelouch

• 608 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 13:16

I don't care about the gap as long as it's explained by the different set up( i don't know if it is though ). What worries me is the tyres, Sutil and Perez will have an advantage in that area.

Edited by Lelouch, 30 July 2011 - 13:17.

#11706 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 13:20

What a dismal lap time. MASSIVE gap to Rosberg. I dont know why bothers. I really dont. :(

One of the reasons why I think current qualifying 3 sessions is not MS's best sessions this and last year, is mainley because he has concentrated on race set up regardless of whatever happens on qualifying, he cannot with the curernt rules/tyres/cars, tinker with the car on saturday, while having a car on sunday, because it don't make sense to just to be fast like Rosberg without comprimising race set up, Rosberg will go for qualifying regardless, maybe choice, or maybe the way his set up/style goes. Schumacher's race pace could of easily delivered the same or more points then Nico in the last races.

If Rosberg has race pace that reflects his quali time, which it didn't in the last races, then Schumacher's done a bad job this weekend, but like previous weekends. qualifying is not that important with these rules, and it might actually be the best strategy for the team, and it seems if Rosberg wants or just his style is to be jarno trulli like and fall back or sometimes stay stationary in the race, while Schumacher moves forward and rarely stays stationery, that's the pattern of the season with these current rules/cars.

I think their both doing their best job, they are going in different ways, but can get similar results, and or in case of Michael be threatening higher positions by the end of the race, which is what counts, saturdays right now for this team are not the end of the world. Beat Renault and consolidate 4th place, on target.

#11707 mrmusicman

mrmusicman

• 276 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 13:25

One of the reasons why I think current qualifying 3 sessions is not MS's best sessions this and last year, is mainley because he has concentrated on race set up regardless of whatever happens on qualifying, he cannot with the curernt rules/tyres/cars, tinker with the car on saturday, while having a car on sunday, because it don't make sense to just to be fast like Rosberg without comprimising race set up, Rosberg will go for qualifying regardless, maybe choice, or maybe the way his set up/style goes. Schumacher's race pace could of easily delivered the same or more points then Nico in the last races.

The qualifying system in 2006 was the same as it is now apart from race fuel. Michael was a great champion and he has been given enough time to deliver but his time has run out. Being 1 second a lap slower than his team mate 3 times this season is just not acceptable. It's time for managment to step in and remove him from the car or convince him to retire right away and stop the misery and embaressment. The excuses have run out.

#11708 Fortymark

Fortymark

• 5,752 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 13:27

Ouch, 8 tenths :eek:

#11709 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 13:29

The qualifying system in 2006 was the same as it is now apart from race fuel.

Well that's kind of a major difference then isn't it? Back then everyone would be set up for race fuel.

#11710 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 13:35

The qualifying system in 2006 was the same as it is now apart from race fuel. Michael was a great champion and he has been given enough time to deliver but his time has run out. Being 1 second a lap slower than his team mate 3 times this season is just not acceptable. It's time for managment to step in and remove him from the car or convince him to retire right away and stop the misery and embaressment. The excuses have run out.

You think so? They get the points tomorrow if you don't know. Qualy have less influence in the race now. To start 7th or 8th or 9th or 12, in Michael case is not big difference. So, they don't focus on Qualy speed with Michael. He need no mistakes in the races, rest is easy.

Edited by ivand911, 30 July 2011 - 13:36.

#11711 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 13:38

Ouch, 8 tenths :eek:

wont be 8 tenths come race day though , i suspect schumachers bad experiences with the F-duct and the DRS flow attaching has made him paranoid of using it around the circuit where as maybe nico is using it as much as he can.

i guess only the team will really know, what other reason casn there be for ms beeing so much slower in qually but fine come race day

#11712 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,765 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 13:40

Schumacher must have made a mistake, which of course isn't good. He hasn't been anything like - or looked to be anything like 8 tenths off all weekend. Shame, it'll be down to his race pace now, if only he'd start a little higher.

#11713 mrmusicman

mrmusicman

• 276 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 13:43

Well that's kind of a major difference then isn't it? Back then everyone would be set up for race fuel.

Most of Michaels career was under low fuel qualifying regulations.

#11714 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 13:44

Schumacher must have made a mistake, which of course isn't good. He hasn't been anything like - or looked to be anything like 8 tenths off all weekend. Shame, it'll be down to his race pace now, if only he'd start a little higher.

Their best bet is 7th ,8th if first 6 don't make mistake. So he couldn't get any further even if he started 7th. He can jump somebody for one stint ,but later speed will decide his position.

#11715 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 13:45

Most of Michaels career was under low fuel qualifying regulations.

And lack of parc ferme rules.

#11716 Paco

Paco

• 1,148 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 13:54

Here's to hoping that he's being stubborn and compromising qualifying for a better race.. even though he'll probably run wide or get into bump with someone and adversely affect his race.. thereby making him look bad on Saturday again. :rolleyes:

man this has JV signature all over again at Sauber.

#11717 vovelo

vovelo

• 87 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 14:30

Michael Schumacher (9th, 1:21.907): "The positive thing that I can take from qualifying today is that I will be starting from the better side of the grid in ninth place. However there are also things which we need to investigate further as the first two sectors did not work out well for us today. They were fine with the prime tyres, but not with the super softs, so we will have a close look into the reasons why. As always, we will try to do the best that we can in the race tomorrow."

#11718 EdwardCullen

EdwardCullen

• 763 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 14:32

Michael Schumacher (9th, 1:21.907): "The positive thing that I can take from qualifying today is that I will be starting from the better side of the grid in ninth place. However there are also things which we need to investigate further as the first two sectors did not work out well for us today. They were fine with the prime tyres, but not with the super softs, so we will have a close look into the reasons why. As always, we will try to do the best that we can in the race tomorrow."

He had that exact same problem last race aswell, Weird!
i dont know what is the problem! Why wasnt it fixed?

#11719 Jazza

Jazza

• 994 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 14:45

He had that exact same problem last race aswell, Weird!
i dont know what is the problem! Why wasnt it fixed?

Because if they fixed it you would have no one to cheer for.

Schuamcher has been average in q3 since he returned. He is either making mistakes, or he is being too cautious. It can't be the car every single race weekend, as the car seems fine in all the other sessions including the race. He obviously doesn't like doing one hot lap in q3, so I don't see what the team can do to fix that, except for giving him two hot laps and hoping that he gets one of them right.

Edited by Jazza, 30 July 2011 - 14:47.

Advertisement

#11720 Paco

Paco

• 1,148 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 14:46

cause there is no testing and very little opportunity to understand the car.

#11721 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 14:58

Schumy's been pathetic the whole weekend :down:

#11722 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 15:04

Schumacher was absolutely pathetic again. Time to retire and not shame Mercedes any more.

Is Bernie handing out medals for qualifying? :stoned:

#11723 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 15:04

Why, what was your expectations? Pole? He is better than Silverstone and Germany.

#11724 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,298 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 15:05

Because if they fixed it you would have no one to cheer for.

Schuamcher has been average in q3 since he returned. He is either making mistakes, or he is being too cautious. It can't be the car every single race weekend, as the car seems fine in all the other sessions including the race. He obviously doesn't like doing one hot lap in q3, so I don't see what the team can do to fix that, except for giving him two hot laps and hoping that he gets one of them right.

Well i dont know why he or the team insists on doing one run in Q3 they do it everytime. Anyway its done for another weekend. This will no doubt be yet another wasted weekend for the 7 times world champion. As much as i am a fan of his, ever since Valencia all i want him to do now is retire. Podiums arent coming never mind wins and they never will be in that car.

#11725 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 15:06

Why, what was your expectations? Pole? He is better than Silverstone and Germany.

He is all over the place. If you watch an onboard, he loses it in almost every corner and that's why the huge gap.

#11726 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 15:09

He is all over the place. If you watch an onboard, he loses it in almost every corner and that's why the huge gap.

And if he didn't he'd get pole right?

#11727 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 15:09

So, according to you situation tomorrow will be the same. Will see.

#11728 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 15:11

One thing is certain,Schumi will be infront of Nico by turn 1.

#11729 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 15:12

One thing is certain,Schumi will be infront of Nico by turn 1.

Yeah, 78,3 % by the end of lap 1.

Edited by ivand911, 30 July 2011 - 15:13.

#11730 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 15:13

Yeah, 78,3 %.

:lol:

#11731 exmayol

exmayol

• 551 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 15:13

Well i dont know why he or the team insists on doing one run in Q3 they do it everytime. Anyway its done for another weekend. This will no doubt be yet another wasted weekend for the 7 times world champion. As much as i am a fan of his, ever since Valencia all i want him to do now is retire. Podiums arent coming never mind wins and they never will be in that car.

Sorry to disappoint you but MS aint a quitter so retirement is not on the agenda. I don't understand how one may want him to retire looking at his driving in recent races. Hes been alive and pleasure to watch.

#11732 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 15:16

Anyway its done for another weekend. This will no doubt be yet another wasted weekend for the 7 times world champion.

Yeah Rossi is rubbish.

#11733 weston

weston

• 370 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 15:19

Hungaroring magnifies the weaknesses of MGP. This is why Michael's position on the starting grid is not bad at all. I hope some brave movements in the first lap. Although he (and Rosberg) will likely be lapped by the top cars but they can collect some important points to stabilize 4th place among constructors. That's the most this team can deliver in 2011.

Edited by weston, 30 July 2011 - 16:14.

#11734 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,298 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 15:22

Sorry to disappoint you but MS aint a quitter so retirement is not on the agenda. I don't understand how one may want him to retire looking at his driving in recent races. Hes been alive and pleasure to watch.

I just think its for the best in all honesty. It dosent make me any less of a fan. I followed him since 96 have all his caps and minichamps modlels etc. The results he wants are not going to come within the time he has left as a full time racing driver. (with that team anyway)

#11735 Scotracer

Scotracer

• 2,685 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 15:30

He's been on the pace of Rosberg all weekend.

#11736 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,454 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 15:55

Schuamcher has been average in q3 since he returned.

But in a streak of races he was just 100ths away from Rosberg on options or primes.

Then something happened and his car is all over the place on options on low fuel.

I have no clue why it happened and we get no info from team or driver. But the points are awarded tomorrow.

Quali is not the main concern right now as long as he can make q3. But he has to stop making mistakes in the race.

#11737 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 16:11

But in a streak of races he was just 100ths away from Rosberg on options or primes.

Then something happened and his car is all over the place on options on low fuel.

I have no clue why it happened and we get no info from team or driver. But the points are awarded tomorrow.

Quali is not the main concern right now as long as he can make q3. But he has to stop making mistakes in the race.

Alonso and Webber off their teamates as well, show how sensitive these tyres are as well. Who knows in comparisons with different driver/teams/set ups, every tweak here and there makes the difference between quali and race, maybe why Michael has been overall there in the race.

Michael I think is doing the correct thing, Rosberg only makes it look worser on Saturday, because he has fallen back from his qualifying grid many times on Sunday, showing his qualifying pace is being used as a grid position to hold off cars, stay stationed if possible or fall back, but Michael, how many times has he moved through the field.

Qualifying still seems like a day for alot of people to evalaute drivers, but it's never been the same qualifying since 2003, once race warm up sessions went on Sunday, and changes to the car after qualifying were fixed, it essentially became not the qualifying the purists enjoyed and could evaluate a hotlap, now qualifying set up is linked with the race.. It's never been the same, currently with this type of Merc car, and because you have DRS and Kers, race performance might as well be maximised. If Michael didn't have DRS+KERS, his qualifying approach/race approach may have been different, who knows.

Edited by SeanValen, 30 July 2011 - 16:32.

#11738 slaveceru

slaveceru

• 180 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 16:17

Today Schumacher had the same problems like Weber had they both do not know why there is such a difference in qualification time to their team mates. They both had problems with these super soft tires which did not provide the necessary grip for them in one quick lap. So Schumacher was not the only one with problems today.

#11739 rog

rog

• 906 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 16:36

He's been on the pace of Rosberg all weekend.

Not really. On his race simulation he was slower as well as one lap performance (in all three practice sessions slower +Qualifying).

But only because Rosbergs third sector was very bad, lost three or four tenths there and Schumacher drove a second fast lap while Rosberg only one fast lap.

Edited by rog, 30 July 2011 - 16:39.

Advertisement

#11740 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,210 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 16:41

cause there is no testing and very little opportunity to understand the car.

That's a great excuse to use for a rookie, but really isn't valid for someone of MS's experience, plus it's the same for everyone.

#11741 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,765 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 16:51

This has been a pattern all season really, we don't need to make excuses or really take a look into it. Schumacher is under performing in qualifying unfortunately normally Q3 is a bit of an anti-climax. His race pace is generally much better, as is his fight... hopefully he can eradicate those little errors in the race and he'll bring home the points.

#11742 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 17:01

And if he didn't he'd get pole right?

no but he shouldn't be so behind his team mate.

If his race pace is better than Nico's tomorrow, I'll be impressed.

#11743 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 17:07

no but he shouldn't be so behind his team mate.

If his race pace is better than Nico's tomorrow, I'll be impressed.

Race pace doesn't mean a damn thing, finishing in front of your teammate does!

#11744 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 17:37

Race pace doesn't mean a damn thing, finishing in front of your teammate does!

it does if you want to be hired as a #1 driver

#11745 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,454 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 17:37

But only because Rosbergs third sector was very bad, lost three or four tenths there and Schumacher drove a second fast lap while Rosberg only one fast lap.

Sorry, i should have been more clear.

I meant in a string of races he has on pace with Rosberg (Canada, Monaco, Spain). And then for the last races he is a more than half a sec slower on options. There has to be an explanation and we have none from team or journos. Are they focusing on different set ups? Did the new parts hurt Michael? He just simply can't find a balance for quali?

#11746 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 17:47

it does if you want to be hired as a #1 driver

Schumacher hasn't shown enough of that to justify his place in the team. He should retire at the end of the season as he and the car are not quick enough!

#11747 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,287 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 18:02

Let's see what tomorrow brings but so far this weekend doesnt seem to be his, and im sure that's not because a lack of trying.

Although i believe he will again be a lot closer if not in front of Rosberg. But im actually more excited to see him at Spa and Monza.

#11748 cutchemist42

cutchemist42

• 103 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 18:07

Not worried; he'll pick up 1-2 spots in the first lap.

#11749 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 18:24

In Germany Qualification both cars were different, it was easy to see from the pictures. I post them 1-2 pages ago. For me Michael is setting his car for heavy fuel and just accept the Q3 result(so his today result was not so bad). It is normal his car/result to be not in the best shape when Q3 come. Nico on other side is focusing for Q3, lower fuel. When race come he have problems, because then his car is not at the best form. Or we can look from other side, team know Nico don't have much chance to move forward so they do everything to put him forward as they can in Q3. He just need to keep his position. And by having drivers on different strategy,this help the team to understand the car better.

Edited by ivand911, 30 July 2011 - 18:26.

#11750 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,454 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 19:14

The heart is still there

adamcooperf1 #F1 Walked down quiet pitlane an hour or so before FP3, only driver I saw in a garage, and already working away, was Schumacher
adamcooperf1 #F1 Michael was examining front of car, talking to engineers and mechanics, doing his homework. Impressive as ever...