Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#11801 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 730 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 14:57

Poor Michael seems to be getting paid back for all those years of bullet-proof reliability at the Scuderia.

Advertisement

#11802 cutchemist42

cutchemist42

• 103 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 15:19

Is there video of the Schumacher incident?

#11803 vovelo

vovelo

• 87 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 15:22

Is there video of the Schumacher incident?

Edited by vovelo, 31 July 2011 - 15:22.

#11804 zelpre

zelpre

• 275 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 15:28

Ahh, this is just ridiculous...The team disappoints over and over again...Horrible strategy, pace, everything...

Can't believe it, seems Schumacher doesn't want to take a break, in interview he said that it's a shame that teams' factories have to be closed for 2 weeks and he wants to get working on a new update package for SPA. What a fighter.

#11805 F. Scaramanga

F. Scaramanga

• 166 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 15:47

After today schumi canĀ“t win the wdc 2011 - vettel out of reach now. :cry: ;)

Edited by F. Scaramanga, 31 July 2011 - 15:51.

#11806 zelpre

zelpre

• 275 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 15:57

MSC:

"We had a gearbox failure, we obviously need to understand details of the failure," he told BBC Sport. "After spinning and continuing, shifting up through the higher gears, we lost a gear.

"I obviously wanted to keep my position against Felipe and pushed hard, but in order to avoid contact I had to put the car into a spin.

"The contact would have been okay, I would have just lost a couple of seconds."

#11807 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 15:59

Ahh, this is just ridiculous...The team disappoints over and over again...Horrible strategy, pace, everything...

Can't believe it, seems Schumacher doesn't want to take a break, in interview he said that it's a shame that teams' factories have to be closed for 2 weeks and he wants to get working on a new update package for SPA. What a fighter.

he gave a factory tour on the bbc but i missed it ill have to rewatch it on iplayer in a bit

#11808 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 16:01

That's where he gets his joys! He loves the challenge. Was great seeing him touring the MGP factory, shaking hands with employees along the way.

Let's hope they get it right next year.

#11809 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 16:13

he gave a factory tour on the bbc but i missed it ill have to rewatch it on iplayer in a bit

Here is the video of Schumi giving the factory tour.

Let's hope they get it right next year.

And what if they don't get it right next year? With this team I highly doubt that they will get it right! Seeing Schumi in the midfield for another year is going to be really tough. This is truly a dream turned into a nightmare!

Edited by merschu, 31 July 2011 - 16:14.

#11810 zelpre

zelpre

• 275 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 16:14

here you have it ;)

Anyways, watching the replay of the start here: , bad quality but enough to see what happened and I'm really not satisfied with what Rosberg did there..Ok he defended his position, but Michael was still right behind him and then Rosberg cut the chicane(really unfair) to escape Michael who was fighting with ferraris, then Michael was passed by Alonso and that's how he lost contact with Rosberg.

#11811 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 16:19

It's the wrong time for a break for a teams that needs to keep working. Redbull deserve their break, their rest is about the tough get going when the going gets tough.

#11812 zelpre

zelpre

• 275 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 18:18

It's the wrong time for a break for a teams that needs to keep working. Redbull deserve their break, their rest is about the tough get going when the going gets tough.

Lol, actually this time between the hungarian gp and belgium gp is supposse to be a break. At least everyone is saying about to take it, Nico too! The only exception I heard is Michael, and I respect that, that's why he's the king, a true champion.

#11813 cutchemist42

cutchemist42

• 103 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 18:44

So I'm having trouble truly seeing it from the side view but was Massa closing down on Michael?

#11814 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 18:58

Lol, actually this time between the hungarian gp and belgium gp is supposse to be a break. At least everyone is saying about to take it, Nico too! The only exception I heard is Michael, and I respect that, that's why he's the king, a true champion.

13 years ago, he was at Enzo's house, testing the ferrari right up until Spa, chasing the tenths, his drive showed that determination, and his rage at how his drive ended, showed the amount of emotion that dnf inflicted on him.

Now we have a forced break, no testing,. he can't do nothing until he arrives at Spa, it's just not the same in terms of preparation. He would badly want to test tyres and check set up solutions, that's the work he was used too, so this break is weird to him more then others. He wants to understand, and that gearbox issue before a forced holiday is not the type of thing any team would leave without looking into, but they got no choice, it's not ideal for that team and himself at this point. I think he's more worried about arriving at Spa with issues left dangeling from Hungary.

This all shows how incrediably important designing a good car is from the start with these rules, catch up seems very hard now, ferrari took ages this year and last year to work solutions. Schumacher and Ferrari were very good in working hard to find speed during the season, now with budget, time and testing restrictions, everything points to having things more right before the season starts, Michael's powers with testing/feedback and analysis for the team were gone even before he arrived at his first race in 2010.

Edited by SeanValen, 31 July 2011 - 19:04.

#11815 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 18:58

So I'm having trouble truly seeing it from the side view but was Massa closing down on Michael?

I think Massa take the corner tightly and Michael take the corner tightly too(he didn't have other choice or to hit him), but he carry more speed and his back side start to slide.

Michael will have 20th anniversary in Formula One at Spa. Hope for good result.

Edited by ivand911, 31 July 2011 - 19:04.

#11816 zelpre

zelpre

• 275 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 19:07

13 years ago, he was at Enzo's house, testing the ferrari right up until Spa, chasing the tenths, his drive showed that determination, and his rage at how his drive ended, showed the amount of emotion that dnf inflicted on him.

Now we have a forced break, no testing,. he can't do nothing until he arrives at Spa, it's just not the same in terms of preparation. He would badly want to test tyres and check set up solutions, that's the work he was used too, so this break is weird to him more then others. He wants to understand, and that gearbox issue before a forced holiday is not the type of thing any team would leave without looking into, but they got no choice, it's not ideal for that team and himself at this point. I think he's more worried about arriving at Spa with issues left dangeling from Hungary.

This all shows how incrediably important designing a good car is from the start with these rules, catch up seems very hard now, ferrari took ages this year and last year to work solutions. Schumacher and Ferrari were very good in working hard to find speed during the season, now with budget, time and testing restrictions, everything points to having things more right before the season starts, Michael's powers with testing/feedback and analysis for the team were gone even before he arrived at his first race in 2010.

:up: I totaly agree with you, but unfortunately time is changing =/

I think Massa take the corner tightly and Michael take the corner tightly too(he didn't have other choice or to hit him), but he carry more speed and his back side start to slide.

Actually Michael said that he didn't want to hit Massa so he span deliberately to avoid the crash.

#11817 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 19:14

Actually Michael said that he didn't want to hit Massa so he span deliberately to avoid the crash.

Yes, he didn't want to hit him ,so he spin.

#11818 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,716 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 20:21

was that a spin or some how a slide? it's a bit over the top to say it was a spin, he caught the car, probably lost 2 sec there and continued

#11819 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 20:33

I think I will try to give Michael a drink this Summer break. He has performed MORE than perfect for me so far! :smoking:

:rotfl:

Advertisement

#11820 as65p

as65p

• 17,078 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 21:23

The DNF was very annoying, could have been a good race in the later stages considering the pace he showed early on. Real shame.

That's the spirit, using the DNF as a means to fantazise about a miracle in the later stages of the race. :drunk: :p

#11821 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 21:55

are the mods ever going to do anything about the trolls?

no doubt i get a ban for this but the trolls get to carry on

#11822 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,716 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 21:59

no they aren't unfortunately mods around here only look for clicks on the website and increased traffic.

btw, expect both of our messages to be deleted and a public message to address stuff via "report a post". not that anything happens when you report it...

#11823 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 21:59

3 years ago, he was at Enzo's house, testing the ferrari right up until Spa

:up: I totaly agree with you, but unfortunately time is changing =/

Ah the romance of racing for Ferrari and staying at "il enginere's" place. :lol: Not in Michael's era though, Enzo died in 1988 and AFAIK MS wouldn't have met him.

To the point about him working tirelessly to drive the team forward to competitiveness, same old stuff. The days of the "turn up on race weekend and drive it how you found it" are long gone. Most of the modern drivers work as hard as they are allowed to in these, errrr, cost saving days. I'm sure almost every driver and team out there would love to be pounding around developing their package during the holiday. Michael's "legendary" quality of car development doesn't seem to be playing out in his second coming with a team which have gone from world champions in 2009 to midfielders at present. A lot of factors involved I realise but Michael isn't the miracle man we saw manhandling some average Ferraris around in the 90s. That's what I find sad about continuing this battle against younger and sharper and hungrier men.

#11824 baddog

baddog

• 23,255 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 22:04

I was particularly delighted by Martin Brundles bizarre insistence that schumacher had 'ended his own race' with that trivial half spin.. Yeah Martin, totally his own fault the gearbox let go.

#11825 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,294 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 22:08

I report the trolls every time - nothing happens - yet I see a number of threads closed with even less trolling...but it's been teh same for years when it involves Schumacher - you can say and do what you like and nothing happens. I once got a post deleted and called a zenophobe just for highlighting a posters nationality (that he in fact used in his name on this forum)...go figure

Edited by Raelene, 31 July 2011 - 22:09.

#11826 GreyArrow

GreyArrow

• 281 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 22:25

Poor Michael seems to be getting paid back for all those years of bullet-proof reliability at the Scuderia.

You seem to forget his fair share unreliability during his earlier years at Ferrari.

#11827 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 23:24

I was particularly delighted by Martin Brundles bizarre insistence that schumacher had 'ended his own race' with that trivial half spin.. Yeah Martin, totally his own fault the gearbox let go.

the bbc didnt even mention is was a DNF did they? no mention of it on Teds pit report after the race either :rolleyes: the bbc really do seem to have some agenda going on

#11828 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,083 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:43

To be fair to the Mods, in my dealings with them they seem a reasonable bunch and they're doing a thankless task.

To be honest, dealing with the trolls on this thread alone is probably an all day job, let alone the liars, psychos & nutjobs that sit in on the Hamilton & Button threads.

They ask for reports to be filed. So I suggest everytime the trolls post something dumb, everyone reports it. Until then, just stick the stnuc on ignore and hope no-one quotes them!

Back on thread, it's unfortunate today ended how it did, I'm convinced MS had the legs of NR and the switch to inters by NR would surely have played into MS's hands. One other thing though, as MS went onto Primes, it could be argued his retirement possibly cost Hamilton as well.... had MS been able to lap competitively and keep the tyres alive, maybe LH does get Primes on lap 40.

But then the conspiracy loving nut-huggers on the LH thread would have had little to talk about......

#11829 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:21

To be fair to the Mods, in my dealings with them they seem a reasonable bunch and they're doing a thankless task.

To be honest, dealing with the trolls on this thread alone is probably an all day job, let alone the liars, psychos & nutjobs that sit in on the Hamilton & Button threads.

They ask for reports to be filed. So I suggest everytime the trolls post something dumb, everyone reports it. Until then, just stick the stnuc on ignore and hope no-one quotes them!

Back on thread, it's unfortunate today ended how it did, I'm convinced MS had the legs of NR and the switch to inters by NR would surely have played into MS's hands. One other thing though, as MS went onto Primes, it could be argued his retirement possibly cost Hamilton as well.... had MS been able to lap competitively and keep the tyres alive, maybe LH does get Primes on lap 40.

But then the conspiracy loving nut-huggers on the LH thread would have had little to talk about......

they know who is only here to cause trouble one seems to be a long term poster and its just accepted thats how he is the problem is people are seeing him get away with it and now we have a bunch of relatively new users who dont have many posts that only come on here to cause trouble.

take alook at some of the post histories one only ever posts in the schumacher threads and the alonso ones trolling both of their fans

#11830 Jazza

Jazza

• 994 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:40

To be even more fair to the mods, they can not delete or ban every one accused of being a troll. Some people on this thread have troll tourettes! Every post they make they accuse someone else of being a troll, even when that person's post is simply that of a different opinion. When even long time posting Schumacher fans are getting accused of being trolls it really shows the credibility of the accusations.

"Schumacher eats dog shit! have fun with that!" is trolling. "I don't agree that Schumacher was faster in this race, because..." (and goes on to write several sentences, and even replies to several posts regarding their own) is not trolling. If you find the later trolling you obviously have a problem with other peoples opinions. If that is the case, you can not blame the mods for that, and you probably shouldn't waist your time (or sanity) being on an internet forum.

Constantly interrupting discussions with; "don't reply to that person they are just a troll. Where are the mods?" is adding nothing to the thread, and is it self a form of trolling.

#11831 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 1,201 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:56

Constantly interrupting discussions with; "don't reply to that person they are just a troll. Where are the mods?" is adding nothing to the thread, and is it self a form of trolling.

Check out this troll.

Very disappointed with the BBC coverage, we got practically no comment on what happened to Schumacher.

#11832 baddog

baddog

• 23,255 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:58

Don't like to go off topic but I think there is a common misconception here

Trolling is saying things you don't think in order to provoke other people. Anyone who does that on any forum with reasonable moderation is going to eventually get kicked out. We don't get a lot of Trolls here I think, most of the bashers actually ARE that sad ;)

What goes on here is mostly good old fashioned flame-baiting, and this is addressed in the forum rules posts. Essentially if you post 'OMFG Schumacher is useless, washed up and should retire, not that he was ever any good' then you are flame-baiting. You are making hyperbolic statements calculated to make people angry. This is not banned, but it IS an invitation to be flamed for it.

I hope the mods wont mind me quoting the rules post here:
"Those who elect to take upon themselves a crusade on a particularly controversial issue should bear in mind that they themselves are bound to be scorned back for their views. You cannot stand in the city square and tell everyone they are blind fools (and telling all JV fans that he's the worst driver ever, or telling Schumacher fans that he's nothing but a cheater, is exactly that - either way, you are telling those fans that they are blind fools) and expect it to go unnoticed. If you get a tomato in your face, you should also ask yourself if you didn't ask for it.

Having said that, it should be made clear that counterattacking a poster is different to personally insulting someone. Telling someone that his post is ridiculous, or even that he's a liar is not the same as telling someone "you are an idiot who should be shot to death". We will tolerate to a large extent the first but not the second. "

#11833 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,294 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:07

it becomes trolling when the person continually comes into the thread and posts flames.....

#11834 mrmusicman

mrmusicman

• 276 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:52

What goes on here is mostly good old fashioned flame-baiting, and this is addressed in the forum rules posts. Essentially if you post 'OMFG Schumacher is useless, washed up and should retire, not that he was ever any good' then you are flame-baiting. You are making hyperbolic statements calculated to make people angry. This is not banned, but it IS an invitation to be flamed for it.

How is saying Michael is washed up and should retire flame baiting when its true? You should not blame others for your lack of tolerance of other people's opinions. Flame baiting would be saying Michael sucked and was washed up 5 years ago.

#11835 exmayol

exmayol

• 551 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:20

While there is a clear trend of things working better for MS this year I see the last year repeating... i.e. even when MS seems to have an edge over Nico there is some series of misfortunes and mistakes that create an overall impession of huge unsatisfaction. I understand it's all relative and not a single driver of current generation will likely be around at the age of 42 showing race craft comparable to MS yet we all expect him to fight for the top positions and when he does not [for whatever reasons] it is viewed as a failure.

#11836 HP

HP

• 14,177 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:23

Too bad that the gearbox went. could have been entertaining.

How is saying Michael is washed up and should retire flame baiting when its true? You should not blame others for your lack of tolerance of other people's opinions. Flame baiting would be saying Michael sucked and was washed up 5 years ago.

MS is washed up is an opinion that not everyone would agree with. With this kind of thinking and saying it's true, we could start retiring almost every driver on the grid. There are always people that want certain drivers to retire. I think it has been said about most drivers on the grid, especially if they don't perform to certain expectations.

However Mercedes still want MS, MS still wants to drive. That's all that matters and it's the reality. Once Mercedes wants another driver, or MS has had enough, then reality will change. Our opinions have no beaing on those calling the shots at Mercedes. Even if the only reason they currently hold on to MS would be PR related. It's their call, and theirs only.

#11837 mrmusicman

mrmusicman

• 276 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:26

MS is washed up is an opinion that not everyone would agree with. With this kind of thinking and saying it's true, we could start retiring almost every driver on the grid. There are always people that want certain drivers to retire. I think it has been said about most drivers on the grid, especially if they don't perform to certain expectations.

The whole point of this place is to share opinions. Not many other 43 year olds on the grid getting totally dominated by their team mates 2 years running.

However Mercedes still want MS,

Thats opinion.

#11838 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,910 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:28

The whole point of this place is to share opinions. Not many other 43 year olds on the grid getting totally dominated by their team mates 2 years running.

Thats opinion.

His lap times are comparable to the 'hotshot' Rosberg which indicates that he is still fast enough for F1.

His drives in Monaco and Canada also suggest he warrants a place in F1. Indeed, without DRS, a 2nd place was definately on the horizon.

The problem is that both drivers are better deserving of a better car. The MGP W01 is a solid midfield car and incidents will occur with other amibtious drivers. Rosberg is the consistent of the two while MS is more fighty (I would have expected it have been the other way around). Both are competant enough and deserve better.

#11839 man

man

• 1,301 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:47

His lap times are comparable to the 'hotshot' Rosberg which indicates that he is still fast enough for F1.

His drives in Monaco and Canada also suggest he warrants a place in F1. Indeed, without DRS, a 2nd place was definately on the horizon.

The problem is that both drivers are better deserving of a better car. The MGP W01 is a solid midfield car and incidents will occur with other amibtious drivers. Rosberg is the consistent of the two while MS is more fighty (I would have expected it have been the other way around). Both are competant enough and deserve better.

Both drivers deserve a better car? I see no logic to this. M Schumacher clearly isn't able to do his current car justice when comparing his speed in qualifying, the number of mistakes he makes, the crashes he has had and the the results he has achieved alongside Rosberg. First he has to at least attempt to match Rosberg before we can say he is doing the Merc justice. Bad workman blames his tools. So M Schumacher's first goal has to be to be as cool, as fast and as mistake-free as Rosberg before he can even think about saying he deserves a better car. For Rosberg, he is always the driver that makes less mistakes qualifies better and finishes ahead for the merc team so perhaps he does have a case of deserving a better car but I feel there are drivers in inferior cars to the Merc who are better/faster drivers than Rosberg.

Advertisement

#11840 mrmusicman

mrmusicman

• 276 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:51

Outqualified 10-1 and by 1 second 3 times suggests otherwise.

#11841 man

man

• 1,301 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:00

M Schumacher is a more "fighty" driver? Hehe. Well when you fail to do your car justice by being outqualified by inferior cars and inexperienced drivers and when you qualify so poorly, logic suggests the only way is up. It is rather easier to look fighty. But judging by the number of crashes he has and mistakes he makes it seems more like desperate driving without coolness. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Rosberg on the other hand is far more professional, he is cooler under pressure, appears to do his car more justice in qualifying and races and most importantly finishes at the chequered flag first of the mercs time and again.

#11842 EdwardCullen

EdwardCullen

• 763 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:21

i think he was talking about Races not Quly!
and BTW you dont get points for Qualifying.

#11843 mrmusicman

mrmusicman

• 276 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:31

i think he was talking about Races not Quly!
and BTW you dont get points for Qualifying.

How many races has Michael beaten Rosberg fair and square? His fans love comparing stints which favour Michael and don't take into account different strategy and traffic so it gives the illusion that Michael has good pace but whenever I see them together I see Rosberg clearly quicker.

#11844 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:32

How many races has Michael beaten Rosberg fair and square? His fans love comparing stints which favour Michael and don't take into account different strategy and traffic so it gives the illusion that Michael has good pace but whenever I see them together I see Rosberg clearly quicker.

neither of them had traffic in hungary :wave:

#11845 sharo

sharo

• 1,768 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:15

I was absent this weekend and hardly managed to watch the race. So, didn't bother to go back through the thread.

My view is that considering the starting positions of both Mercedes drivers, their magnificent start and fall back, then MS DNF and NR behind Buemi (who started almost last) at the finish, we should simply stop throwing energy in vain as it's clear what a dog of a car they have and also that the team strategists lack something major.

Edited by sharo, 01 August 2011 - 11:16.

#11846 ramad

ramad

• 28 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:50

I was absent this weekend and hardly managed to watch the race. So, didn't bother to go back through the thread.

My view is that considering the starting positions of both Mercedes drivers, their magnificent start and fall back, then MS DNF and NR behind Buemi (who started almost last) at the finish, we should simply stop throwing energy in vain as it's clear what a dog of a car they have and also that the team strategists lack something major.

:up:

#11847 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 13:02

I thought that Michael would have better time in his second round. To win another championship probably wasn't in the cards, but this beast of a car is pure evil. Well, we will be now crusing for next 7.5 mths, and I hope he will enjoy it.

#11848 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,910 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 13:11

Race pace.

#11849 as65p

as65p

• 17,078 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 22:53

Race pace.

Finishing positions.

#11850 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,453 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 22:57

Finishing positions.

5-9th. Yes, history will drool over them.

And quali results are misleading. That's why race pace is relevant.

Edited by Diablobb81, 01 August 2011 - 22:59.