Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20770 replies to this topic

#12051 GerhardBerger

GerhardBerger

• 510 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 13:09

I believe they retire because they lose their commitment not their speed, they both are good drivers as they are gp2 champions. Can't you possibly accept there is a chance that rosberg is the better driver?

The 2 are not mutually exclusive my friend, and drivers retire for a range of reasons. You will find that most F1 drivers lose their speed as they approach retirement age.

As for Maldonando/Hulkenberg, we do not know how good they are in F1 terms. Plenty of drivers in the past have come to F1 as champions from lower formulas, but then went on to achieve very little in F1.

Rosberg is better at this point in time - that much is clear.

Is Schumacher as good as he was 10-15 years? no i don't think so.

Advertisement

#12052 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 13:16

Is Schumacher as good as he was 10-15 years? no i don't think so.

Lauda says the same HERE

#12053 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 13:22

I believe they retire because they lose their commitment not their speed, they both are good drivers as they are gp2 champions. Can't you possibly accept there is a chance that rosberg is the better driver?

Now? Yes

In Schumacher's prime? No chance.

Can you accept that?

#12054 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 13:47

I like Michael but I'm afraid he's ran out of excuses

What excuses is he making in public? (I am not privy to his private conversations). I think that you may find out that it is actually his fans, self included, who do rationalizing search for possible explanation for his performance. I have an opinion on that as a next poster, but making excuses? Well, that presupposes that you know that everything elses is just problem free, and he alone is responsible for not being on the podium. I would not be able to make such determination.

#12055 Afterburner

Afterburner

• 4,231 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 13:57

This. Perspective is lacking around here, though when another star driver from the current grid makes his way back at 40+ and is multiple seconds off the pace I will still be here laughing my ass off. :up:

Unfortunately, I think Schumacher himself may have turned a few of them off of the idea. :p

#12056 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 14:20

Now? Yes

In Schumacher's prime? No chance.

Can you accept that?

There's no evidence to suggest that nico wouldn't be able to match micheal in his prime, I for one believe he could.

#12057 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 14:21

OMG, two and half weeks from this shit! :rolleyes: MS at 42 is still real treasure for F1. Making people to go and see GP. I visit two GP because of him. Stop whining. If he wasn't in MGP this would be the dullest F1 team. Like Williams.

Edited by ivand911, 10 August 2011 - 14:23.

#12058 GerhardBerger

GerhardBerger

• 510 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 14:23

There's no evidence to suggest that nico wouldn't be able to match micheal in his prime, I for one believe he could.

and there's no evidence to suggest that he would match michael in his prime!

#12059 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 14:25

Anthony Hamilton says Paul di Resta will make "a great replacement for somebody at a top team", adding that "he is a Mercedes protege."

Advertisement

#12060 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 14:30

Anthony Hamilton says Paul di Resta will make "a great replacement for somebody at a top team", adding that "he is a Mercedes protege."

And all German drivers are Mercedes proteges. Mercedes have Lewis and Button ,so? He is already driving Mercedes car, so what more AH want?

Edited by ivand911, 10 August 2011 - 14:34.

#12061 cutchemist42

cutchemist42

• 103 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 14:30

Yeah I don't see Michael really making excuses. A lot of the time it seems he's accepting fault for his bad choices. I still think Michael wants to be here. His expression after Montreal was not excitement for pushing this crap car to 4th but disappointment of missing the podium. It is why I still think something is there.

In all seriousness though, he's older. Michael Jordan's comeback was not that pretty either. It's just a fact of life.

#12062 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,820 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 14:38

fair play to that :) but it's just an opinion, like I could believe I would be the fastest driver in these cars.

#12063 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,141 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 14:48

Isn't Anthony his manager? It's his job to "big up" his driver. Where is he likely to go, McLaren is most likely keeping both drivers, seems Red Bull is as well & Ferrari is settled apparently. Next up is Merc with the oldest driver on the grid, who's not enjoying/not performing etc, but the only route in there is if he breaks his 3rd year of contract by retiring.

Di Resta will most likely go to Merc, but not for next year - I think that would be a year too soon for him. Give him a 2nd year at FI and see how he reduces his mistakes before throwing him into a tougher situation.

He's good, but I haven't seen an Alonso/Vettel/Hamilton debut season from him so far.

#12064 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 14:59

And Michael's manager Sabine Kehm has since said:

Bild newspaper quotes the seven time world champion's manager Sabine Kehm as dismissing the quotes as "All nonsense. Since he returned to F1, Michael has not spoken to anyone from Corriere dello Sport," she insisted."

Kehm clarified that her 42-year-old boss is not about to quit.

"He is full of passion for the project and regards it as an exciting challenge to build something big together with Mercedes.

"That it is sometimes tough only encourages him more," she said. "Someone who will soon celebrate their 20th anniversary in formula one knows that perseverance is what makes the difference."

http://www.f1reports.../article/12010/

#12065 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,856 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 15:02

Put Nico in the Ferrari of 1997, he wouldn't come close to winning the championship or the great Japanese drive of 1998 (before the blowout) or the 2000 Italian GP at Monza with all the pressure mounted on him.

To be honest, it's quite over the top for one to match Schu in his absolute prime which was 1995-2000; and Nico does not stand a chance versus that Schumacher. The only driver that can and handle it is Ayrton Senna.

#12066 sharo

sharo

• 1,792 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 15:07

OMG, two and half weeks from this shit! :rolleyes: MS at 42 is still real treasure for F1. Making people to go and see GP. I visit two GP because of him. Stop whining. If he wasn't in MGP this would be the dullest F1 team. Like Williams.

This :up:

Put Nico in the Ferrari of 1997, he wouldn't come close to winning the championship or the great Japanese drive of 1998 (before the blowout) or the 2000 Italian GP at Monza with all the pressure mounted on him.

To be honest, it's quite over the top for one to match Schu in his absolute prime which was 1995-2000; and Nico does not stand a chance versus that Schumacher. The only driver that can and handle it is Ayrton Senna.

Nico (and the rest of his generation) would have troubles driving those cars at the limit. Nowadays cars are built to behave like in simulator, not the opposite, and a driver has to overcome his natural instincts and reactions to car behavior and have an absolute faith in the on-board electronics. I think this may be the problem with Michael.

#12067 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 15:14

Yawn! Here we go again, put any of the top current drivers in that Ferrari and they would have performed the same, now prove otherwise

#12068 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,820 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 15:34

Yawn! Here we go again, put any of the top current drivers in that Ferrari and they would have performed the same, now prove otherwise

what you do here is expressing an opinion which you have to prove.
michael performed at a certain level in 1997. you cannot prove any other driver could do the same even if you were right because that can't be proved.

so don't state it as a fact and expect people to prove otherwise.

#12069 Johnrambo

Johnrambo

• 940 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 15:37

Time to give PdR a chance. With these drivers Mercedes will stay in midfield fo-re-verrrr....

#12070 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 15:39

Time to give PdR a chance. With these drivers Mercedes will stay in midfield fo-re-verrrr....

yea im sure pDr would be getting podiums

#12071 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 15:50

what you do here is expressing an opinion which you have to prove.
michael performed at a certain level in 1997. you cannot prove any other driver could do the same even if you were right because that can't be proved.

so don't state it as a fact and expect people to prove otherwise.

Same goes to you guys that say no other driver could do what he could do in the Ferrari, recent evidence shows I'm talking more sense!

Edited by spa08, 10 August 2011 - 15:52.

#12072 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 15:55

Same goes to you guys that say no other driver could do what he could do in the Ferrari, recent evidence shows I'm talking more sense!

Somebody get 5 titles? What sense? :rotfl:

Edited by ivand911, 10 August 2011 - 15:55.

#12073 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 15:57

You are entitled to your opinion.

We've seen a prime Schumacher wrestle woeful cars (96 Ferrari for example) into podium and winning positions. We haven't seen Nico exhibit that same sort of zeal that prime Schumacher demonstrated time and time again for the best part of 2 decades.

Until Rosberg demonstrates even ONE flash of brilliance in this years Mercedes or next year, please don't compare him to a prime Schumacher based purely on assumption.

Schumcher is proven with the pedigree. Nico hasn't set the world alight - despite you thinking he could have gone toe to toe with vintage Schumacher and come out on top. :rolleyes:

#12074 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 16:04

:lol: Sorry but I had to.

Yeah I can imagine Nico duking it out with Senna,Prost,Piquet,Mansell,Hill,Hakkinen,Raikonen,Montoya,Alonso etc.
Lets be serious now.

#12075 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 16:07

Somebody get 5 titles? What sense? :rotfl:

Yeh he got 5 of those in a far superior car with unmatched reliability, no1 status in the team with teammates who weren't allowed to challenge him. The list goes on.... :rotfl:

#12076 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 16:11

We've seen a prime Schumacher wrestle woeful cars (96 Ferrari for example) into podium and winning positions. We haven't seen Nico exhibit that same sort of zeal that prime Schumacher demonstrated time and time again for the best part of 2 decades.

Until Rosberg demonstrates even ONE flash of brilliance in this years Mercedes or next year, please don't compare him to a prime Schumacher based purely on assumption.

Schumcher is proven with the pedigree. Nico hasn't set the world alight - despite you thinking he could have gone toe to toe with vintage Schumacher and come out on top. :rolleyes:

So what did nico do lastyear while Michael was faffing around in midfield?? Il tell you, he was wrestling a woeful car into podium positions while the 7x world champion was nowhere to be seen :rolleyes:

Edited by spa08, 10 August 2011 - 16:12.

#12077 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 16:15

I have nothing against Nico,but for the world of me I can't recall a memorable drive from him,lets keep in mind he has 100 GPs under his belt.

#12078 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 16:17

:lol: Sorry but I had to.

Yeah I can imagine Nico duking it out with Senna,Prost,Piquet,Mansell,Hill,Hakkinen,Raikonen,Montoya,Alonso etc.
Lets be serious now.

You talk as though the likes of Raikonen and co are extra special, let's not forget kimi couldn't even beat massa for 1.5 of the 2.5 years they spent together as teammates. If you don't rate rosberg that highly just imagine what the likes of Hamilton and Alonso would do to Michael

#12079 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 16:20

You might be correct, but challenge is, that Schumacher in his first part of F1 career was a tough cookie, as evidenced by his WDCs, but Nico, talented as he might be, is yet to prove he is of the same material. I thought once that Fisi, given proper machinery, would tear field apart, and boy, I still whiping eggs from my face. Kimi BTW let me down (somewhat) as well. I thought of him as multiple WDC who will replace Michael, but that didn't pan out either. Point is, you have no grounds to stick your neck out and say that Nico will be remembered as member of the fame club where we have names like Fangio, Prost, Schumacher, Senna, etc.

Schumacher is already forever in, whereas Nico is fighting for his life just to get a good car, and he might never get it; that's the sad reality, therefore we might never know what could have been.

Edited by Sakae, 10 August 2011 - 16:22.

Advertisement

#12080 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 16:25

You talk as though the likes of Raikonen and co are extra special, let's not forget kimi couldn't even beat massa for 1.5 of the 2.5 years they spent together as teammates. If you don't rate rosberg that highly just imagine what the likes of Hamilton and Alonso would do to Michael

That's BS. Schumacher had his adversaries, and met them squarely. Hamilton and Alonso are no gods, if that's what you are implying.

#12081 Unbiased

Unbiased

• 414 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 16:26

He, just like any other driver in the grid, needs a car that suits him to beat his teammate and then it should be at least slightly better than the rest to win a race/championship.

F1 is that simple. The best car overall wins and it's won by the teammate that suits the car a bit better. There are no bad drivers in F1, the car makes them look like it. Well, Massa is a different story, the accident changed him and Ferrari still hug onto him.

You can have the best driver ever, put him in a car that does not suit him, he will look like a desperate rookie, like Schumacher has been looking the last 2 years. He hasn't lost it.

If McLaren started suiting the car exclusively to Button's wishes, Hamilton would look average. Like RBR suiting the car exclusively to Webber wishes, Vettel would look like average. At Ferrari, Schumacher era, that is exactly what happened and look what it got them.

Mercedes chooses to go the middle way (just like most teams) and it suits Rosberg a little bit better.

"It's the money, stupid", in F1 becomes "It's the car, stupid".

The Mercedes team is performing perfectly....like the Honda team. Even though they changed pretty much everything, they perform exactly the same. Rather strange.

2009 being a fluke thanks to the diffuser thing.

#12082 lewymp4

lewymp4

• 560 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 16:30

di Resta?

lol

Sutil has more than twice points than him.

Imho I don't think MS will retire in the end of this season and Merc would be fool is they bring di Resta to his place...

A fool to bring in di Resta........surely you jest!

#12083 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 16:48

He, just like any other driver in the grid, needs a car that suits him to beat his teammate and then it should be at least slightly better than the rest to win a race/championship.

F1 is that simple. The best car overall wins and it's won by the teammate that suits the car a bit better. There are no bad drivers in F1, the car makes them look like it. Well, Massa is a different story, the accident changed him and Ferrari still hug onto him.

You can have the best driver ever, put him in a car that does not suit him, he will look like a desperate rookie, like Schumacher has been looking the last 2 years. He hasn't lost it.

If McLaren started suiting the car exclusively to Button's wishes, Hamilton would look average. Like RBR suiting the car exclusively to Webber wishes, Vettel would look like average. At Ferrari, Schumacher era, that is exactly what happened and look what it got them.

Mercedes chooses to go the middle way (just like most teams) and it suits Rosberg a little bit better.

"It's the money, stupid", in F1 becomes "It's the car, stupid".

So basically Michael can't beat rosberg in a neutral car that neither really like. If Ross Brawn thought that Mercedes would be better building the car around Michael then he would most certainly do that, the Ferrari years prove that. IMO brawn wants to build the car around rosberg as he as proven to be the better prospect for the team
The Mercedes team is performing perfectly....like the Honda team. Even though they changed pretty much everything, they perform exactly the same. Rather strange.

2009 being a fluke thanks to the diffuser thing.

Edited by spa08, 10 August 2011 - 16:53.

#12084 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,512 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 16:54

I get the feeling Schumacher will announce his retirement in Belguim just a feeling.

#12085 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:02

I get the feeling Schumacher will announce his retirement in Belguim just a feeling.

i feel his announcement will be pretty soon, imo he should have never come back. Maybe he thought the Mercedes would have been as competitive as the Brawn was in 09, i dont think he ever imagined this. All he as out of these two years is no success and a ruined legacy!

Edited by spa08, 10 August 2011 - 17:04.

#12086 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:06

Hamilton and Alonso are great drivers.

However, Alonso is much like Schumacher in the team; defacto #1 and he threw his toys out of the pram at Mclaren in 2007. He went to Ferrari and is treated much the same as Schumacher was from 1996-2006. If that's his psychological 'zone' so be it.

Hamilton for me awesome but too erratic. I keep thinking and wishing for him to put together 4-5 good races to see how good he really is. Since 2009 he has been moody and made too many errors (Monza 10, Korea 10 etc etc). Also, Button might not match him for sheer speed but he gets the best out of the car as much as Hamilton and keeps his cool. Remember, Button was thought of as a journeyman up until 2008 (when Barrichello used to match him regularly). So, is Hamilton great or is Button better than we thought?

A prime Schumacher would have been a mighty adversary for them all. I also rate Schumacher as more complete (at his peak) than Hamilton and Alonso too; psychologically stronger and a better team leader. They both may be faster over a single lap, but F1 greatness is borne out of how COMPLETE a driver is.

#12087 Starish

Starish

• 1,045 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:10

I'm tired of people trying to make a decision for Michael, why is it bothering them so much, it should be up to Michael without the pressure, full out your contract Schumi don't run away!!

#12088 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:12

After he's on the podium,and during the conference.

#12089 Starish

Starish

• 1,045 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:12

STHU, if Raikkonen wasn't special I don't know who was.

#12090 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:19

Michael Schumacher's manager just today denied and slammed the whole retirement article by "Corriere dello Sport" and you think he is going to retire in Spa this year?

And this question is for everyone as to why do you guys keep predicting when he is going to retire when from beginning and even last month Michael made it clear that he is going to see out his three years contract with Merc!

Edited by merschu, 10 August 2011 - 17:23.

#12091 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:20

Hamilton and Alonso are great drivers.

However, Alonso is much like Schumacher in the team; defacto #1 and he threw his toys out of the pram at Mclaren in 2007. He went to Ferrari and is treated much the same as Schumacher was from 1996-2006. If that's his psychological 'zone' so be it.

Hamilton for me awesome but too erratic. I keep thinking and wishing for him to put together 4-5 good races to see how good he really is. Since 2009 he has been moody and made too many errors (Monza 10, Korea 10 etc etc). Also, Button might not match him for sheer speed but he gets the best out of the car as much as Hamilton and keeps his cool. Remember, Button was thought of as a journeyman up until 2008 (when Barrichello used to match him regularly). So, is Hamilton great or is Button better than we thought?

A prime Schumacher would have been a mighty adversary for them all. I also rate Schumacher as more complete (at his peak) than Hamilton and Alonso too; psychologically stronger and a better team leader. They both may be faster over a single lap, but F1 greatness is borne out of how COMPLETE a driver is.

we never saw michael in his youth matched against a teammate who was as quick if not quicker, imo if hamilton was around then an entered his domain and beat him he would have struggled to handle it

#12092 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:23

STHU, if Raikkonen wasn't special I don't know who was.

where was is specialness in 08-09? let me guess, he was not motivated :rotfl:

#12093 zelpre

zelpre

• 275 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:39

SPA is so special to Michael. And is very conncected with number 7...
I believe in podium in SPA this year

#12094 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:42

we never saw michael in his youth matched against a teammate who was as quick if not quicker, imo if hamilton was around then an entered his domain and beat him he would have struggled to handle it

Your username suggests that you are a Hamilton fan......

I'll just say this; until we see Hamilton keep his cool and his head straight over an entire season without making dumb errors, we'll judge him to be the All Time Great (like Michael Schumacher undeniably is) you purport him to be.

#12095 Unbiased

Unbiased

• 414 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:44

So basically Michael can't beat rosberg in a neutral car that neither really like. If Ross Brawn thought that Mercedes would be better building the car around Michael then he would most certainly do that, the Ferrari years prove that. IMO brawn wants to build the car around rosberg as he as proven to be the better prospect for the team

Schumacher seems to dislike it more than Rosberg. Fact is the car is a turd (relatively speaking to the front-runners, a Kobayashi or a Petrov would love to have the Mercedes over their ride) and you can polish a turd as much as you like, but there is a limit and then you say, screw it.

Schumacher sees there is no point in polishing the turd and he loses nothing because he won't go anywhere else except retirement. Rosberg on the other hand has to, because his future stock is at stake.

Also Brawn isn't the boss of Mercedes, neither was he the boss at Ferrari, he does not decide whether a car is built around 1 driver or not. His role is way overrated.

And my opinion is, anyone who thinks Rosberg is better than Schumacher is waaaaaay out there, hehe. Put Schumacher in a McLaren or RBR and he wins races too, simple as that. Rosberg would too, so would Kobayashi and Petrov and Sutil.

It is the car that inspires the driver to do something special, not the driver inspiring the car todo something special.

#12096 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:53

Your username suggests that you are a Hamilton fan......

I'll just say this; until we see Hamilton keep his cool and his head straight over an entire season without making dumb errors, we'll judge him to be the All Time Great (like Michael Schumacher undeniably is) you purport him to be.

Michael never made any dumb errors now did he? take a look at canada 1999, melbourne 06 etc. not to mention all the howlers this last couple of years

#12097 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,757 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:54

The same Hamilton who barely beat Massa to a WDC? The same guy whose best season is still his rookie one?

Or do you mean Alonso who since 06 managed to throw away two championships?

These guys still have a to prove they are in the same league as Michael.

Both great drivers but with a lot of work to do still.

#12098 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:57

Schumacher seems to dislike it more than Rosberg. Fact is the car is a turd (relatively speaking to the front-runners, a Kobayashi or a Petrov would love to have the Mercedes over their ride) and you can polish a turd as much as you like, but there is a limit and then you say, screw it.

Schumacher sees there is no point in polishing the turd and he loses nothing because he won't go anywhere else except retirement. Rosberg on the other hand has to, because his future stock is at stake.

Also Brawn isn't the boss of Mercedes, neither was he the boss at Ferrari, he does not decide whether a car is built around 1 driver or not. His role is way overrated.

And my opinion is, anyone who thinks Rosberg is better than Schumacher is waaaaaay out there, hehe. Put Schumacher in a McLaren or RBR and he wins races too, simple as that. Rosberg would too, so would Kobayashi and Petrov and Sutil.

It is the car that inspires the driver to do something special, not the driver inspiring the car todo something special.

so if they were both in the redbull now who would you put your money on?

#12099 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 18:00

The same Hamilton who barely beat Massa to a WDC? The same guy whose best season is still his rookie one?

Or do you mean Alonso who since 06 managed to throw away two championships?

These guys still have a to prove they are in the same league as Michael.

Both great drivers but with a lot of work to do still.

yes the same hamilton that was in a completely different car, a much worse one if we compare how felipe is doing against alonso :wave:

Advertisement

#12100 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,757 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 18:05

yes the same hamilton that was in a completely different car, a much worse one if we compare how felipe is doing against alonso :wave:

Was has Alonso have to do with the 08 McLaren, which wasn't a worse car?

Is that how haters logic works?Of course, what can one expect from someone who says Rosberg would beat Michael in his prime.

Edited by Diablobb81, 10 August 2011 - 18:05.