• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#12101 lewymp4

lewymp4

• 520 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 16:30

di Resta?

lol

Sutil has more than twice points than him.

Imho I don't think MS will retire in the end of this season and Merc would be fool is they bring di Resta to his place...

A fool to bring in di Resta........surely you jest!

Advertisement

#12102 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 16:48

He, just like any other driver in the grid, needs a car that suits him to beat his teammate and then it should be at least slightly better than the rest to win a race/championship.

F1 is that simple. The best car overall wins and it's won by the teammate that suits the car a bit better. There are no bad drivers in F1, the car makes them look like it. Well, Massa is a different story, the accident changed him and Ferrari still hug onto him.

You can have the best driver ever, put him in a car that does not suit him, he will look like a desperate rookie, like Schumacher has been looking the last 2 years. He hasn't lost it.

If McLaren started suiting the car exclusively to Button's wishes, Hamilton would look average. Like RBR suiting the car exclusively to Webber wishes, Vettel would look like average. At Ferrari, Schumacher era, that is exactly what happened and look what it got them.

Mercedes chooses to go the middle way (just like most teams) and it suits Rosberg a little bit better.

"It's the money, stupid", in F1 becomes "It's the car, stupid".

So basically Michael can't beat rosberg in a neutral car that neither really like. If Ross Brawn thought that Mercedes would be better building the car around Michael then he would most certainly do that, the Ferrari years prove that. IMO brawn wants to build the car around rosberg as he as proven to be the better prospect for the team
The Mercedes team is performing perfectly....like the Honda team. Even though they changed pretty much everything, they perform exactly the same. Rather strange.

2009 being a fluke thanks to the diffuser thing.

Edited by spa08, 10 August 2011 - 16:53.

#12103 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,340 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 16:54

I get the feeling Schumacher will announce his retirement in Belguim just a feeling.

#12104 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:02

I get the feeling Schumacher will announce his retirement in Belguim just a feeling.

i feel his announcement will be pretty soon, imo he should have never come back. Maybe he thought the Mercedes would have been as competitive as the Brawn was in 09, i dont think he ever imagined this. All he as out of these two years is no success and a ruined legacy!

Edited by spa08, 10 August 2011 - 17:04.

#12105 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,030 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:06

You talk as though the likes of Raikonen and co are extra special, let's not forget kimi couldn't even beat massa for 1.5 of the 2.5 years they spent together as teammates. If you don't rate rosberg that highly just imagine what the likes of Hamilton and Alonso would do to Michael

Hamilton and Alonso are great drivers.

However, Alonso is much like Schumacher in the team; defacto #1 and he threw his toys out of the pram at Mclaren in 2007. He went to Ferrari and is treated much the same as Schumacher was from 1996-2006. If that's his psychological 'zone' so be it.

Hamilton for me awesome but too erratic. I keep thinking and wishing for him to put together 4-5 good races to see how good he really is. Since 2009 he has been moody and made too many errors (Monza 10, Korea 10 etc etc). Also, Button might not match him for sheer speed but he gets the best out of the car as much as Hamilton and keeps his cool. Remember, Button was thought of as a journeyman up until 2008 (when Barrichello used to match him regularly). So, is Hamilton great or is Button better than we thought?

A prime Schumacher would have been a mighty adversary for them all. I also rate Schumacher as more complete (at his peak) than Hamilton and Alonso too; psychologically stronger and a better team leader. They both may be faster over a single lap, but F1 greatness is borne out of how COMPLETE a driver is.

#12106 Starish

Starish

• 986 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:10

I'm tired of people trying to make a decision for Michael, why is it bothering them so much, it should be up to Michael without the pressure, full out your contract Schumi don't run away!!

#12107 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:12

After he's on the podium,and during the conference.

#12108 Starish

Starish

• 986 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:12

You talk as though the likes of Raikonen and co are extra special, let's not forget kimi couldn't even beat massa for 1.5 of the 2.5 years they spent together as teammates. If you don't rate rosberg that highly just imagine what the likes of Hamilton and Alonso would do to Michael

STHU, if Raikkonen wasn't special I don't know who was.

#12109 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:19

Michael Schumacher's manager just today denied and slammed the whole retirement article by "Corriere dello Sport" and you think he is going to retire in Spa this year?

And this question is for everyone as to why do you guys keep predicting when he is going to retire when from beginning and even last month Michael made it clear that he is going to see out his three years contract with Merc!

Edited by merschu, 10 August 2011 - 17:23.

#12110 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:20

Hamilton and Alonso are great drivers.

However, Alonso is much like Schumacher in the team; defacto #1 and he threw his toys out of the pram at Mclaren in 2007. He went to Ferrari and is treated much the same as Schumacher was from 1996-2006. If that's his psychological 'zone' so be it.

Hamilton for me awesome but too erratic. I keep thinking and wishing for him to put together 4-5 good races to see how good he really is. Since 2009 he has been moody and made too many errors (Monza 10, Korea 10 etc etc). Also, Button might not match him for sheer speed but he gets the best out of the car as much as Hamilton and keeps his cool. Remember, Button was thought of as a journeyman up until 2008 (when Barrichello used to match him regularly). So, is Hamilton great or is Button better than we thought?

A prime Schumacher would have been a mighty adversary for them all. I also rate Schumacher as more complete (at his peak) than Hamilton and Alonso too; psychologically stronger and a better team leader. They both may be faster over a single lap, but F1 greatness is borne out of how COMPLETE a driver is.

we never saw michael in his youth matched against a teammate who was as quick if not quicker, imo if hamilton was around then an entered his domain and beat him he would have struggled to handle it

#12111 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:23

STHU, if Raikkonen wasn't special I don't know who was.

where was is specialness in 08-09? let me guess, he was not motivated :rotfl:

#12112 zelpre

zelpre

• 275 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:39

SPA is so special to Michael. And is very conncected with number 7...
I believe in podium in SPA this year

#12113 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,030 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:42

we never saw michael in his youth matched against a teammate who was as quick if not quicker, imo if hamilton was around then an entered his domain and beat him he would have struggled to handle it

Your username suggests that you are a Hamilton fan......

I'll just say this; until we see Hamilton keep his cool and his head straight over an entire season without making dumb errors, we'll judge him to be the All Time Great (like Michael Schumacher undeniably is) you purport him to be.

#12114 Unbiased

Unbiased

• 414 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:44

So basically Michael can't beat rosberg in a neutral car that neither really like. If Ross Brawn thought that Mercedes would be better building the car around Michael then he would most certainly do that, the Ferrari years prove that. IMO brawn wants to build the car around rosberg as he as proven to be the better prospect for the team

Schumacher seems to dislike it more than Rosberg. Fact is the car is a turd (relatively speaking to the front-runners, a Kobayashi or a Petrov would love to have the Mercedes over their ride) and you can polish a turd as much as you like, but there is a limit and then you say, screw it.

Schumacher sees there is no point in polishing the turd and he loses nothing because he won't go anywhere else except retirement. Rosberg on the other hand has to, because his future stock is at stake.

Also Brawn isn't the boss of Mercedes, neither was he the boss at Ferrari, he does not decide whether a car is built around 1 driver or not. His role is way overrated.

And my opinion is, anyone who thinks Rosberg is better than Schumacher is waaaaaay out there, hehe. Put Schumacher in a McLaren or RBR and he wins races too, simple as that. Rosberg would too, so would Kobayashi and Petrov and Sutil.

It is the car that inspires the driver to do something special, not the driver inspiring the car todo something special.

#12115 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:53

Your username suggests that you are a Hamilton fan......

I'll just say this; until we see Hamilton keep his cool and his head straight over an entire season without making dumb errors, we'll judge him to be the All Time Great (like Michael Schumacher undeniably is) you purport him to be.

Michael never made any dumb errors now did he? take a look at canada 1999, melbourne 06 etc. not to mention all the howlers this last couple of years

#12116 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,523 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:54

The same Hamilton who barely beat Massa to a WDC? The same guy whose best season is still his rookie one?

Or do you mean Alonso who since 06 managed to throw away two championships?

These guys still have a to prove they are in the same league as Michael.

Both great drivers but with a lot of work to do still.

#12117 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 17:57

Schumacher seems to dislike it more than Rosberg. Fact is the car is a turd (relatively speaking to the front-runners, a Kobayashi or a Petrov would love to have the Mercedes over their ride) and you can polish a turd as much as you like, but there is a limit and then you say, screw it.

Schumacher sees there is no point in polishing the turd and he loses nothing because he won't go anywhere else except retirement. Rosberg on the other hand has to, because his future stock is at stake.

Also Brawn isn't the boss of Mercedes, neither was he the boss at Ferrari, he does not decide whether a car is built around 1 driver or not. His role is way overrated.

And my opinion is, anyone who thinks Rosberg is better than Schumacher is waaaaaay out there, hehe. Put Schumacher in a McLaren or RBR and he wins races too, simple as that. Rosberg would too, so would Kobayashi and Petrov and Sutil.

It is the car that inspires the driver to do something special, not the driver inspiring the car todo something special.

so if they were both in the redbull now who would you put your money on?

#12118 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 18:00

The same Hamilton who barely beat Massa to a WDC? The same guy whose best season is still his rookie one?

Or do you mean Alonso who since 06 managed to throw away two championships?

These guys still have a to prove they are in the same league as Michael.

Both great drivers but with a lot of work to do still.

yes the same hamilton that was in a completely different car, a much worse one if we compare how felipe is doing against alonso :wave:

#12119 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,523 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 18:05

yes the same hamilton that was in a completely different car, a much worse one if we compare how felipe is doing against alonso :wave:

Was has Alonso have to do with the 08 McLaren, which wasn't a worse car?

Is that how haters logic works?Of course, what can one expect from someone who says Rosberg would beat Michael in his prime.

Edited by Diablobb81, 10 August 2011 - 18:05.

Advertisement

#12120 Unbiased

Unbiased

• 414 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 18:09

As I said before, the guy that suits the car better. You can have the most talented driver ever, if he sits in a car that does not suit him, he will look average and beaten by the lesser talented driver that likes the car more.

I believe Schumacher to be a much more talented driver than Rosberg, like the vast majority. Rosberg is very good, but not champion-like good.

But the car is King.

#12121 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 18:12

Was has Alonso have to do with the 08 McLaren, which wasn't a worse car?

Is that how haters logic works?Of course, what can one expect from someone who says Rosberg would beat Michael in his prime.

because in 07 the ferrari barely beat the mclaren and in 08 the mclaren barely beat the ferrari, seeing as though massa beat raikkonnen who won in 07, its safe to assume that the 07 and 08 ferraris were much better than the mclarens after the hiding alonso as given massa the last two years

#12122 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 18:16

As I said before, the guy that suits the car better. You can have the most talented driver ever, if he sits in a car that does not suit him, he will look average and beaten by the lesser talented driver that likes the car more.

I believe Schumacher to be a much more talented driver than Rosberg, like the vast majority. Rosberg is very good, but not champion-like good.

But the car is King.

so its safe to assume that any top driver who as the best car and one that suits him would win just as many titles as schumacher as, vettel seems to be well on his way already

#12123 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 733 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 18:26

And this question is for everyone as to why do you guys keep predicting when he is going to retire when from beginning and even last month Michael made it clear that he is going to see out his three years contract with Merc!

Yes, and then decide where he goes from that point.

#12124 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 18:31

schumacher his racecraft is proven , rosbergs never showed anything other than steady drives.. even steady eddie irvine had more fire in his belly than nico has shown

#12125 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 18:35

schumacher his racecraft is proven , rosbergs never showed anything other than steady drives.. even steady eddie irvine had more fire in his belly than nico has shown

im sorry its points at the end of the year that decides who is the better driver, not how fiery someone is

#12126 EdwardCullen

EdwardCullen

• 763 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 18:40

im sorry its points at the end of the year that decides who is the better driver, not how fiery someone is

no that is completely wrong

#12127 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 18:42

I too believe that. If you put Vettel into a car rated A-, but he is comfortable with it, he will be probably more successful on the track than if you put him into a car rated A+, but he is not in full control and feels uncomfortable. That raises also some philosophical question whether actually A+ is good (or better) car than the one rated A-. Probably depends on you criteria how you evaluate a "good" car. Driveability, balance, top speed, responsiveness, etc. Schumacher has trouble in turns (I think), and reasons for that could be numerous, but one thing is certain, that is, him and car aren't on the same page.

Edited by Sakae, 10 August 2011 - 18:46.

#12128 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,030 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 18:42

Michael never made any dumb errors now did he? take a look at canada 1999, melbourne 06 etc. not to mention all the howlers this last couple of years

How many dumb errors has Schumacher made over his 20 year career compared to Hamilton over 5?

Schumacher's legacy is secure. Hamilton is still riding the coat tails of his 2007 season. He hasn't proved anything close to greatness like Schumacher has (with the exception of Silverstone 2008 maybe).

#12129 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 18:43

would you like to educate me on that :confused:

#12130 Fortymark

Fortymark

• 5,796 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 18:47

How many dumb errors has Schumacher made over his 20 year career compared to Hamilton over 5?

Schumacher's legacy is secure. Hamilton is still riding the coat tails of his 2007 season. He hasn't proved anything close to greatness like Schumacher has (with the exception of Silverstone 2008 maybe).

Schumacher did more dumb errors in 2010 than Hamilton has done in his whole F1 career

#12131 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 18:48

id say quite alot more, schumacher had the best car by a country mile from 2000-2004, hamilton hasnt. hamiltons competed against 2 world champions with equal status, schumacher hasnt. show me a performance from schumacher that beats any of hamiltons

#12132 EdwardCullen

EdwardCullen

• 763 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 18:55

would you like to educate me on that :confused:

So for argument sake lets take a 10 race WDC
Driver 1 gets "six" 5th place finish and "four" 4th place finish ...that will come to 60 + 48 = total points 108 points

Driver 2 gets "two" 5th place finish, "two" 4th place finish , "three" DNFs/outside of points , "two" 3rd place and "one" Victory ....that will come to 20 + 24 + 0 + 30 + 25 = total points 99 points

So according to your logic Driver 1 is the better driver?? :rolleyes:

Edited by EdwardCullen, 10 August 2011 - 19:00.

#12133 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,523 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 18:57

show me a performance from schumacher that beats any of hamiltons

Sorry, too many to count. Let me guess: you watch F1 since Spa 08. :rotfl:

P.S. Maybe you should watch the 00 and 03 season before you actually emit an opinion on "best cars by a country mile".

Edited by Diablobb81, 10 August 2011 - 18:59.

#12134 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 18:59

Driver 1 gets "six" 5th place finish and "four" 4th place finish ...that will come to 60 + 48 = total points 108 points

Driver 2 gets "two" 5th place finish, "two" 4th place finish , "three" DNFs/outside of points , "two" 3rd place and "one" Victory ....that will come to 20 +24 + 0 + 36 + 25 = total points 105 points

So according to your above post Driver 1 is better driver?? :rolleyes:

i only class a true dnf as a mechanical failure not driver error, so come on show me all the dnfs from lastyear that cost michael almost double the amount of points that nico achieved :rotfl:

#12135 EdwardCullen

EdwardCullen

• 763 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 19:05

i only class a true dnf as a mechanical failure not driver error, so come on show me all the dnfs from lastyear that cost michael almost double the amount of points that nico achieved :rotfl:

i was commenting on this statement from you "im sorry its points at the end of the year that decides who is the better driver, not how fiery someone is"
Which is completely wrong...which is what i said! points alone is not a good measure! :rolleyes:

Edited by EdwardCullen, 10 August 2011 - 19:05.

#12136 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 19:06

Sorry, too many to count. Let me guess: you watch F1 since Spa 08. :rotfl:

P.S. Maybe you should watch the 00 and 03 season before you actually emit an opinion on "best cars by a country mile".

no ive been watching it since the early 90s so come again :lol: like i said his car was super reliable and just as fast as his rivals cars in those seasons. i prefer to call michael a 6x world champion too as its plain to see he cheated to earn the 94 championship

#12137 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 19:08

i was commenting on this statement from you "im sorry its points at the end of the year that decides who is the better driver, not how fiery someone is"
Which is completely wrong...which is what i said! points alone is not a good measure! :rolleyes:

i said that because i knew that michaels dnfs did not affect his fight with nico lastyear :rolleyes:

#12138 EdwardCullen

EdwardCullen

• 763 posts

no ive been watching it since the early 90s so come again :lol:

Yea right! we all believed that :rolleyes:

#12139 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,030 posts

id say quite alot more, schumacher had the best car by a country mile from 2000-2004, hamilton hasnt. hamiltons competed against 2 world champions with equal status, schumacher hasnt. show me a performance from schumacher that beats any of hamiltons

1. Spa 1995.
2. Spain 1996.
3. Monaco 1997.
4. Hungary 1998.
5. Japan 2000.
6. Brazil 2006.
7. France 2004.
8. Japan 1998 (epic comeback)
9. Malaysia 1999 (ditto)
10. San Marino 2005
11. Spa 1992
12. France 1997

etc etc etc etc etc etc

Ask me again?

Advertisement

#12140 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,030 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 19:10

no ive been watching it since the early 90s so come again :lol: like i said his car was super reliable and just as fast as his rivals cars in those seasons. i prefer to call michael a 6x world champion too as its plain to see he cheated to earn the 94 championship

You have an agenda. We get it. Schumacher was and is crap. Hamilton is the best of all time. We know. We get it. Blah blah blah

Go back and replay Silverstone 2008 until the Belgian GP at the end of the month.

#12141 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,523 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 19:11

And i prefer to call him a 9 time WDC. Without spa 98 and Silverstone 99...

Once again : you really should watch those seasons in the 00's. Maybe you'll expend your little F1 knowledge.

And he cheated in 94 by being banned for 2 races and excluded from 2 others. Sure...

Edited by Diablobb81, 10 August 2011 - 19:15.

#12142 EdwardCullen

EdwardCullen

• 763 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 19:11

show me a performance from schumacher that beats any of hamiltons

What an idiotic statement ! LOL :rotfl:
Its clearly shows that you are just trying to troll! :rolleyes:

#12143 EdwardCullen

EdwardCullen

• 763 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 19:12

1. Spa 1995.
2. Spain 1996.
3. Monaco 1997.
4. Hungary 1998.
5. Japan 2000.
6. Brazil 2006.
7. France 2004.
9. Malaysia 1999 (ditto)
10. San Marino 2005
11. Spa 1992
12. France 1997

etc etc etc etc etc etc

Ask me again?

you didnt have to mention it, he is just trying to troll!

#12144 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 19:22

1. Spa 1995.
2. Spain 1996.
3. Monaco 1997.
4. Hungary 1998.
5. Japan 2000.
6. Brazil 2006.
7. France 2004.
9. Malaysia 1999 (ditto)
10. San Marino 2005
11. Spa 1992
12. France 1997

etc etc etc etc etc etc

Ask me again?

tell me why they are any better than

1. Canada 07
2. Usa 07
3. Japan 07
4. Gbr 08
5. Ger 08
6. Bel 08
7. Aus 09
8. Hun 09
9. Sin 09
10. Chn 10
11. tur 10
12. Chn 11
13. Ger 11

#12145 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,523 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 19:26

1. Canada 07
2. Usa 07
3. Japan 07
4. Gbr 08
5. Ger 08
6. Bel 08
7. Aus 09
8. Hun 09
9. Sin 09
10. Chn 10
11. tur 10
12. Chn 11
13. Ger 11

Oh, i see. You list all of Hamilton's wins as great. :rotfl:

Sorry, but i don't think we need to list 91 wins here. Just a waste of forum space (like some other things in here).

Edited by Diablobb81, 10 August 2011 - 19:28.

#12146 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,849 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 19:27

1. Canada 07
2. Usa 07
3. Japan 07
4. Gbr 08
5. Ger 08
6. Bel 08
7. Aus 09
8. Hun 09
9. Sin 09
10. Chn 10
11. tur 10
12. Chn 11
13. Ger 11

Please stop, or at least put a disclaimer that your opinion is not representative of most other Lewis fans.

#12147 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 19:27

Driver 2 gets "two" 5th place finish, "two" 4th place finish , "three" DNFs/outside of points , "two" 3rd place and "one" Victory ....that will come to 20 + 24 + 0 + 30 + 25 = total points 99 points

So according to your logic Driver 1 is the better driver?? :rolleyes:

yes it proves that driver one is the better driver if those dnfs were driver twos fault :clap:

#12148 lewymp4

lewymp4

• 520 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 19:29

:up:

:up:

#12149 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 19:30

Oh, i see. You list all of Hamilton's wins as great. :rotfl:

Sorry, but i don't think we need to list 91 wins here. Just a waste of forum space (like some other things in here).

its not how many you win its how you win ;]

#12150 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,523 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 19:32

its not how many you win its how you win ;]

Yep, and the important thing here is how you win 91 Gp's. :rotfl:

Edited by Diablobb81, 10 August 2011 - 19:34.