Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20770 replies to this topic

#12401 Starish

Starish

• 1,043 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:10

I wanna see him in that helmet livery next week.

Edited by Starish, 17 August 2011 - 08:10.

Advertisement

#12402 Clatter

Clatter

• 28,129 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:01

Like he led his respective teams in 'other' direction from 1991-2006?

Schumacher has a PROVEN history and pedigree, as does Ross Brawn, Newey, Dennis and all the old guard.

And there's the problem. Your spending too long looking back at what he did yesteryear and ignoring the current performance. There are plenty of ex-WDC's out there who all have a proven history and pedigree, but you wouldn't put them in a car now.

#12403 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:16

And there's the problem. Your spending too long looking back at what he did yesteryear and ignoring the current performance. There are plenty of ex-WDC's out there who all have a proven history and pedigree, but you wouldn't put them in a car now.

:rolleyes: This is a commun illness of most Schumi fans. They live more in past than in present & future!

#12404 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:27

:rolleyes: This is a commun illness of most Schumi fans. They live more in past than in present & future!

just like ferrari then :wave:

#12405 zelpre

zelpre

• 275 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:52

I so hope for a great result for his 20th anniversary. If I hoped much for good results before, then I hope and expect the most for this race in SPA. Hope God gives some rain on track...It would be so fantastic if Michael gets podium.

#12406 KavB

KavB

• 1,235 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 13:04

I hope he does race with that helmet just as a symbol. I hope he gets a great result here.. who knows maybe he will shock us and somehow get a podium. Sadly it would even be great if he qualified 7th again :lol:

Schumi has literally been racing all my life as I was born the day he qualified 7th :)

#12407 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,555 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 13:29

I so hope for a great result for his 20th anniversary. If I hoped much for good results before, then I hope and expect the most for this race in SPA. Hope God gives some rain on track...It would be so fantastic if Michael gets podium.

Well, if the stars are aligned for Jenson exactly five years after his win in Hungary and then celebrating his 200th with a victory... You surely hope there is something special for Schumacher to snatch next week!

Edit: about Jerez 1997. I've never seen this laptime list before! ( http://en.mclarenf-1...h...dr1=5&dr2=3 ). In the end I think Schumachers car didn't have or develop a problem, his speed is pretty much the same or even slightly faster (on average) as with the first laps after his first stop. I think Villeneuve just pushed the pedal through the floor and nailed it right before Schumachers pace started to settle like 'a tiny bit slower than Villeneuve but not enough to make a pass possible'. Anyone?

Edited by Jejking, 17 August 2011 - 13:39.

#12408 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,054 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 13:39

Well, if the odds are right for Jenson exactly five years after his win in Hungary and then celebrating his 200th with a victory... You surely hope there is something special for Schumacher to snatch next week!

Edit: about Jerez 1997. I've never seen this laptime list before! ( http://en.mclarenf-1...h...dr1=5&dr2=3 ). In the end I think Schumachers car didn't have or develop a problem, his speed is pretty much the same or even slightly faster (on average) as with the first laps after his first stop. I think Villeneuve just pushed the pedal through the floor and nailed it right before Schumachers pace started to settle like 'a tiny bit slower than Villeneuve but not enough to make a pass possible'. Anyone?

Wasn't he stuck behind HHF after his first stop?

#12409 EdwardCullen

EdwardCullen

• 763 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 15:33

So according to your logic, Lauda couldnt even complete a lap without spinning in that Jaguar....so he is utter cr@p and not worthy of his past achievements??!
and Mika tested the mclaren at 2003? i guess...and he was 2 secs slower than Kimi....so he is also not worth of his past achievements??!!
SO they are just poor drivers who where just lucky? :rolleyes:
For example lets put Prost in one of the MGP or Renaults, and if he loses does that mean that his 4 titles and 51 wins will not count and we all will say to him that come here when you are 70 and beat all the young drivers, then only we will agree that you are One of the best!??
No matter how hard some Alonso fnas or Lewis fans try, its not gonna rewrite the history....his past career shows that he is a legend and one of the best ever driver F1's history!

Edited by EdwardCullen, 17 August 2011 - 15:43.

#12410 EdwardCullen

EdwardCullen

• 763 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 15:36

of course they should. each play a part
they want to win titles and races.

at the moment the car is nowhere close to that. when the car gets closer to that and ms won't deliver then it will be his fault

:up:

#12411 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,054 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 15:52

So according to your logic, Lauda couldnt even complete a lap without spinning in that Jaguar....so he is utter cr@p and not worthy of his past achievements??!
and Mika tested the mclaren at 2003? i guess...and he was 2 secs slower than Kimi....so he is also not worth of his past achievements??!!
For example lets put Prost in one of the MGP or Renaults, and if he loses does that mean that his 4 titles and 51 wins will not count and we all will say to him that come here when you are 70 and beat all the young drivers, then only we will agree that you are One of the best!??
No matter how hard some Alonso fnas or Lewis fans try, its not gonna rewrite the history....his past career shows that he is a legend and one of the best ever driver F1's history!

Can't really speak for clatter, but I'm pretty sure your examples prove his point.

These drivers were great, but you wouldn't give them a car now. That is not an insult on them, nor is it saying they were never any good. Just that their time has passed and they are no longer cut out for F1.

MS was certainly great, and nothing will ever change that. But that doesn't mean he should be given a car now.

Edited by Jazza, 17 August 2011 - 15:55.

#12412 as65p

as65p

• 18,466 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 16:19

of course they should. each play a part
they want to win titles and races.

at the moment the car is nowhere close to that. when the car gets closer to that and ms won't deliver then it will be his fault

It's his fault already that he gets beaten by Rosberg.

Have to admit I'm pretty glad he's not paired with a lesser driver. Already now the issue of being beaten by his teammate gets dismissed, if MS teammate would get worse results than him we wouldn't hear the end of how he would blitz the field in a competitive car. :drunk:

#12413 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,820 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 16:25

It's his fault already that he gets beaten by Rosberg.

him being beaten by rosberg does not stop mercedes from being a wdc contender. average finish poistions were 8th and 9th I think which shows a gap that is ideally any team would have.
he currently has the best year finish (4th) so the team has hardly performed at the required level.

#12414 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 16:31

Well I'm a LH fan and i don't think Schumi is just one of the great drivers but rather one of the greatest athletes. In my list he's up there with Jordan,Ali,Pele,Rossi,Federer,Merckx,Michael Johnson et al.

Stuff of Legends.

#12415 as65p

as65p

• 18,466 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 18:57

him being beaten by rosberg does not stop mercedes from being a wdc contender. average finish poistions were 8th and 9th I think which shows a gap that is ideally any team would have.
he currently has the best year finish (4th) so the team has hardly performed at the required level.

No, but it stops him from winning a WDC, regardless of car performance. Because for all we know he would finish 2nd at best. Unless they sack Rosberg and hire something worse.

#12416 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 20:44

No, but it stops him from winning a WDC, regardless of car performance. Because for all we know he would finish 2nd at best. Unless they sack Rosberg and hire something worse.

nearly all schumachers accidents are against midfield drivers hes been fine vs button , webber , hamilton , alonso etc so surely logic suggests if he had a front running car he wouldnt be having these accidents with petrov , kobayashi etc

weve seen his pace in recent races to be better than rosbergs.

we know your an anti MSC poster though so you will just post whatever rubbish u think can get a reaction

#12417 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 20:59

nearly all schumachers accidents are against midfield drivers hes been fine vs button , webber , hamilton , alonso etc so surely logic suggests if he had a front running car he wouldnt be having these accidents with petrov , kobayashi etc

we know your an anti MSC poster though so you will just post whatever rubbish u think can get a reaction

:stoned: too lots "IFS"

#12418 as65p

as65p

• 18,466 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 21:06

Who's "we"? :)

If I post rubbish, attack that. Pointing at my dislike for MS get's us nowhere, espially not coming from a devoted fan like you. We're two sides of the same coin, dismissal of my opinion automatically de-values your own as well, because "we" know you'll post whatever rubbish u think might deflect from the fact that MS doesn't nearly perform as well as you would like.

#12419 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 21:43

Who's "we"? :)

If I post rubbish, attack that. Pointing at my dislike for MS get's us nowhere, espially not coming from a devoted fan like you. We're two sides of the same coin, dismissal of my opinion automatically de-values your own as well, because "we" know you'll post whatever rubbish u think might deflect from the fact that MS doesn't nearly perform as well as you would like.

http://en.mclarenf-1...chart&year=2011

use this site look at the laptimes last few races... as i said pace is good enough , give him a front running car that keeps him away from the midfield and he wont get the accidents from running around near the renaults , saubers and torro rossos.

all he really has to worry about if a good car comes along is his qualifying/ or beeing close enough to nico that he can pass him on the firstlap as he is unlikely to beat nico aslong as nico gets first call on pitstops

Advertisement

#12420 as65p

as65p

• 18,466 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 22:01

use this site look at the laptimes last few races... as i said pace is good enough , give him a front running car that keeps him away from the midfield and he wont get the accidents from running around near the renaults , saubers and torro rossos.

all he really has to worry about if a good car comes along is his qualifying/ or beeing close enough to nico that he can pass him on the firstlap as he is unlikely to beat nico aslong as nico gets first call on pitstops

This laps comparisons are misleading, as has been pointed out many times. The only thing they show is that MS isn't as slow in the races as in qualifying. Hey-ho.

And the reason he doesn't crash into frontrunners is simply that he's usually nowhere near them. Obviously, one would think. He keeps tangling with those around him, equally obviously. I don't get your "logic" how he would stop making mistakes if he would be racing at the front. That's plugged out of thin air.

Further, say MGP builds a dominant car soon (won't happen anyway, apparently they've already thrown the towel for 2012 in advance). The current qualifying gap suggest NR would start from pole a lot, whereas MS would probably slot in around row three or four. And the guys he meets there won't be as easy to pass during the starting phase as the midfielders he deals with now. If anything, more accidents would be on the cards.

#12421 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 22:31

yeah but MSC would pass Nico okn the first lap anyway with the starts he has ;) and if he had to race him,, well Nico's not really a "racer" is he - so hey presto - qualy won't matter again ;)

#12422 Clatter

Clatter

• 28,129 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 23:42

You really do have a complete lack of understanding. :rolleyes:

Can't really speak for clatter, but I'm pretty sure your examples prove his point.

These drivers were great, but you wouldn't give them a car now. That is not an insult on them, nor is it saying they were never any good. Just that their time has passed and they are no longer cut out for F1.

MS was certainly great, and nothing will ever change that. But that doesn't mean he should be given a car now.

You got it exactly right. :up:

#12423 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 00:31

This laps comparisons are misleading, as has been pointed out many times. The only thing they show is that MS isn't as slow in the races as in qualifying. Hey-ho.

And the reason he doesn't crash into frontrunners is simply that he's usually nowhere near them. Obviously, one would think. He keeps tangling with those around him, equally obviously. I don't get your "logic" how he would stop making mistakes if he would be racing at the front. That's plugged out of thin air.

Further, say MGP builds a dominant car soon (won't happen anyway, apparently they've already thrown the towel for 2012 in advance). The current qualifying gap suggest NR would start from pole a lot, whereas MS would probably slot in around row three or four. And the guys he meets there won't be as easy to pass during the starting phase as the midfielders he deals with now. If anything, more accidents would be on the cards.

heas already had alot of clean racing with people at the front and hes passed them off the grid aswell.

i remember what hamilton was like when he had to fight with mid field drivers half the time schumachers only with them cos he always gets the rubbish pit stop window

#12424 Number62

Number62

• 497 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:08

He managed to hit Hamilton at Monaco didn't he?

#12425 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,754 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:33

He managed to hit Hamilton at Monaco didn't he?

Start incident that happens. Compared to the usual results he gets in the first lap , it's nothing.

Why not be positive and focus on the times he managed to overtake Hamilton.

#12426 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,555 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:02

Since his comeback of the top contenders, Jenson Button, Lewis Hamilton, Mark Webber, Fernando Alonso, Felipe Massa. All without pitcrew-attention-needing consequences, in the end losing places while defending hard for multiple laps. So where's your point now? Guess it might be a respect issue on the youthy side of the grid..

#12427 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:13

Latest endorsement from Mr. Haug of Michael is timely issued balm to this driver, and its important for their team.

MGP seems to be managed very well, and to an outsider, more preferable to McLaren' or Willimas' at any day. Hopefully now it all will translate into something tangible on the track. Five years is probably sensible time line, even as we had hoped for more and continuity after 2009.

Edited by Sakae, 18 August 2011 - 12:47.

#12428 zelpre

zelpre

• 275 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:47

’Sad’ to see ’superman’ Schumacher struggle - Ecclestone

Mercedes boss Norbert Haug says Michael Schumacher still has the fire to succeed

:)

#12429 mrmusicman

mrmusicman

• 276 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:13

No doubt the fire still burns but obviously not the talent. What is amazing is just how much speed he has lost. If he was merely as fast as someone like Rosberg it would be quite a step back, but to be generally much slower is a surprisingly large drop in performance. I bet Rubens would whip him now.

#12430 Antonov

Antonov

• 603 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:32

also, 'no one has gained as much positions from the grid as Michael did' is just an utter utter utter BS argument.
You'd only expect him to do that if he consistently fails to qualifying the car in a higher position than it should be!

#12431 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 13:19

also, 'no one has gained as much positions from the grid as Michael did' is just an utter utter utter BS argument.
You'd only expect him to do that if he consistently fails to qualifying the car in a higher position than it should be!

So if making great starts and gaining positions is utter utter utter BS,I wonder what bad starts would be?

#12432 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,820 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 13:23

but to be generally much slower is a surprisingly large drop in performance..

generally much slower :)
of course. in another reality

I bet Rubens would whip him now

Rubens has his hands full with Maldonado...

#12433 Clatter

Clatter

• 28,129 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 13:28

So if making great starts and gaining positions is utter utter utter BS,I wonder what bad starts would be?

I like the way you neatly sidestep the main point of the post that you replied too.

#12434 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 13:44

I like the way you neatly sidestep the main point of the post that you replied too.

I was sidestepping to the sidestepping. He clearly said making up spots isn't valid because MS doesn't qualify where he belongs. Well as far as I know many races are won and lost at the start,so nullifying Schumi's great starts thru some "fan formula",well that is BS.

#12435 FW09

FW09

• 318 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 13:59

I'm more worried about Bernie giving him an underweight car...

’Sad’ to see ’superman’ Schumacher struggle - Ecclestone

#12436 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,820 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 15:11

I'm more worried about Bernie giving him an underweight car...

of course Bernie is not allowed to have an opinion on Schumacher's performance

#12437 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 20:31

No doubt the fire still burns but obviously not the talent. What is amazing is just how much speed he has lost. If he was merely as fast as someone like Rosberg it would be quite a step back, but to be generally much slower is a surprisingly large drop in performance. I bet Rubens would whip him now.

That's not really a very 'honest' argument. For one thing, MS is certainly not 'much slower' on race pace, he's been at least as fast in recent races. For another Rubens is a long way off his best too; the RB who of the last 2-3 years is not the RB who used to blister around Silverstone 10 years ago.

MS is obviously slower, but how much is a very tough call. On raw qualifying pace perhaps as much as 2 seconds compared to his mid twenties, but on race pace I'm inclined to think nearer 1 second, which sounds a lot but for a 43 year old is not neccessarily so bad; it's only around a 1% decline from a pretty high peak after all.

#12438 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 23:53

That's not really a very 'honest' argument. For one thing, MS is certainly not 'much slower' on race pace, he's been at least as fast in recent races. For another Rubens is a long way off his best too; the RB who of the last 2-3 years is not the RB who used to blister around Silverstone 10 years ago.

MS is obviously slower, but how much is a very tough call. On raw qualifying pace perhaps as much as 2 seconds compared to his mid twenties, but on race pace I'm inclined to think nearer 1 second, which sounds a lot but for a 43 year old is not neccessarily so bad; it's only around a 1% decline from a pretty high peak after all.

his main problem is the cars are so easy to drive he cant do his tricks with the throttle etc either cos the stupid ECU doesnt keep the enging blowing if u use the throttle under breaking which we keep hearing his race engineer moan about alot in practice sessions, i would find it hard to believe he has lost a full 2 seconds since his twentie it would be intresting to put him in one of his old cars in proper race trim as they were back in the day and see what kind of time he could manage at say marranelo which im assuming hasnt changed since then.

#12439 ClockworkRacing

ClockworkRacing

• 316 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 00:07

Even 43 years old,the guy is still a tough call for Rosberg on the race,what a driver...
In my point of view,he had lost his qualifying edge, half a second slower than Nico Rosberg,c´mon mate

Advertisement

#12440 Clatter

Clatter

• 28,129 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 00:15

his main problem is the cars are so easy to drive he cant do his tricks with the throttle etc either cos the stupid ECU doesnt keep the enging blowing if u use the throttle under breaking which we keep hearing his race engineer moan about alot in practice sessions, i would find it hard to believe he has lost a full 2 seconds since his twentie it would be intresting to put him in one of his old cars in proper race trim as they were back in the day and see what kind of time he could manage at say marranelo which im assuming hasnt changed since then.

So now the problem is that the cars are too easy to drive. I honestly cannot believe how desperate the excuses are becoming.

#12441 black magic

black magic

• 3,962 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:01

you have made your position quite clear. were you team manager you would not hire michael.

wow

many of his fans might not have either but norbet and ross clearly are huge fans. clearly they also see at times the speed of old. they also see the old guy demonstrating that he remains a racer. lets not forget his big detractors used to say he couldn't overtake - he was just lucky enough to be in the fastest car. well guess what -at 43 he can overtake as good as anyone else on the grid. anyone else remeber a successful overtake at the monaco hairpin? I certainly can't and on the supposed quickest guy around. used to be the day when montoya fans were satisfied with a hail mary pass for a whole season.

I wish he was dominant but it just shows that is not just the car either. he is giving an honest account of himself with the occassional moment of glory. should federer retire? tiger? nadal?

we all watch and whilst the mgic is less common everynow and then its all there. and thank god the likes of agassi kept playing past when they should have retired.

#12442 sharo

sharo

• 1,792 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:23

So now the problem is that the cars are too easy to drive. I honestly cannot believe how desperate the excuses are becoming.

Believe it or not, that is the situation with the current cars.

#12443 Johnrambo

Johnrambo

• 940 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:39

On raw qualifying pace perhaps as much as 2 seconds compared to his mid twenties, but on race pace I'm inclined to think nearer 1 second, which sounds a lot but for a 43 year old is not neccessarily so bad; it's only around a 1% decline from a pretty high peak after all.

:rotfl: :rotfl: 2 seconds? 1 second? :lol: Do you understand that with that kind of speed MS would have taken pole and win in almost all races this season. :rolleyes:

#12444 as65p

as65p

• 18,466 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:44

Believe it or not, for that notion (even if it were true as you say) to have any meaning in the context, MS would still need to beat Rosberg if he wants to be considered the better driver.

For a superior driver, to be a ahead by a lesser margin in cars that are "easy" could make some sense. But to be beaten doesn't, reagardless how easy the cars are.

#12445 Number62

Number62

• 497 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:51

Why does he keep crashing them then?

#12446 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:39

:rotfl: :rotfl: 2 seconds? 1 second? :lol: Do you understand that with that kind of speed MS would have taken pole and win in almost all races this season. :rolleyes:

I understand that you're a troll. You might might want to remember that 10 years ago he WAS taking most poles and winning most races. You might also want to note that I said 'as much as' 2 seconds in qualifying and 'nearer' 1 second in race trim. Given that Rosberg is no Senna I fail to see whats laughable about the idea of MS out qualifying him by up to 1 second, on occasion, at his peak, yet he's been outqualified by that kind of margin once or twice this year. I'm sure even you and manage to understand 1+1=2.

Edited by Group B, 19 August 2011 - 08:39.

#12447 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,820 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:14

not to support Johnrambo who has proven to be a troll but I also think 2 sec is a bit too much. Ok, he may have been 2 sec slower when he made mistakes (big ones) on the laps, but on "qualy pace" he hasn't lost more than half of a second. That's still huge but at least his peak was quite high.

also yes, 10 years ago he was winning and taking poles...but he was also driving the best car (or if not the best something that was 0.1-0.3 max slower).

#12448 Clatter

Clatter

• 28,129 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:02

you have made your position quite clear. were you team manager you would not hire michael.

wow

many of his fans might not have either but norbet and ross clearly are huge fans. clearly they also see at times the speed of old. they also see the old guy demonstrating that he remains a racer. lets not forget his big detractors used to say he couldn't overtake - he was just lucky enough to be in the fastest car. well guess what -at 43 he can overtake as good as anyone else on the grid. anyone else remeber a successful overtake at the monaco hairpin? I certainly can't and on the supposed quickest guy around. used to be the day when montoya fans were satisfied with a hail mary pass for a whole season.

I wish he was dominant but it just shows that is not just the car either. he is giving an honest account of himself with the occassional moment of glory. should federer retire? tiger? nadal?

we all watch and whilst the mgic is less common everynow and then its all there. and thank god the likes of agassi kept playing past when they should have retired.

I don't remember anyone saying he couldn't overtake.

None of those over guys listed are comparable. They all play for themselves, not a team. If they underperform the only thing it affects is their prize money, or if really bad they won't qualify for tournaments. In all teamsports it is rare that a player is kept on once their performance starts to wain and there is very little sentimentality shown. I don't blame them for hiring MS, although I've always believed he has been out of the game too long, but it is sentimentality that is keeping him in the seat.

#12449 Clatter

Clatter

• 28,129 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:03

No, it's the worst possible excuse someone could use.

#12450 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:43

Schumacher's back is to the wall. He over-compensates, he makes mistakes and we have seen the end results.

In the past, the critics were still there but he had the best car (or near enough) and he was much sharper and he could silence them with the victories.

Those days are gone I'm afraid and the media and critics alike are having a field day.