Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#13251 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:00

great watching the old guy being able to match it over so many laps unlike most of his younger contemporaries.

Fair point there, a credit to his legendary fitness that he could concentrate lap after lap to keep his defense going, I'm sure Hamilton took something home from this.

Advertisement

#13252 jondoe955

jondoe955

• 496 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:41

Years ago, I once semi-facetiously posted that MS has done everything he could in F1. To remove all doubt of his dominance and ability, he should leave Ferrari and move to a good lower-level team. Here, he can help tune the car's characteristics and show off his driving skills. Instead, he retired. I didn't miss him. I never liked his bullying, blocking driving style. You had to respect his skills, like Dale Earnhart, but you didn't have to like him!
So now he is back, in a lower-level team that has the ability and cash to improve. I've enjoyed watching the car improve and move up thru the field. He's now become a serious points contender, and the old, dirty Michael is back. Blocking, pushing - the dick is back! He's always gotten his way in F1. ALWAYS. They change the rules, specs or tires for him. Now, I'm kinda sorry he's returned. (and I've never liked the Shummi Chop. I find it unsporting and dangerous. I guess I'm more into 'gentlemen' racing...)

#13253 baddog

baddog

• 23,235 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:50

I guess I'm more into 'gentlemen' racing..

That is one possible explanation yes.

#13254 Jomyboy

Jomyboy

• 179 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:03

I guess I'm more into 'gentlemen' racing...)

Why does that sound so queer :)

#13255 buellher

buellher

• 9 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:15

:clap: :clap: :clap: :kiss: MICHAEL :kiss: :clap: :clap: :clap:

#13256 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,486 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:02

Michael was awesome today. Scrap of the day was btwn him and Hammi. Great fun, and (quite frankly) the very reason why I watch racing. :up:

#13257 404KF2

404KF2

• 2,204 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:06

Yes it was good. Those Nancy-boy newbie drivers haven't had to deal with Schumacher when he's feeling racey, up to now.....

#13258 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:27

He certainly was racy today; great to see.
For all the hidden talent tho the Merc finished further back then it should've.

#13259 teejay

teejay

• 3,550 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:39

He certainly was racy today; great to see.
For all the hidden talent tho the Merc finished further back then it should've.

How so?

Once in clear air Lewis and co had no trouble dropping Michael at close to a second a lap.

Advertisement

#13260 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,167 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:45

Schumacher just gave Hamilton exactly what he's been giving to the rest of the field. Frankly, he got what he deserved. Hamilton is ABSOLUTELY NOT one to complain and especially not his fans. If it'd been the other way around and he was defending, say, Vettel in a faster Red Bull behind him with similar means, they'd defend him to the hills. How can they expect Schumacher fans not to react the same way.

And come on, it was damn good racing. 2 years ago with the Bridgestones this would have been the battle of the season!

#13261 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:13

How so?

Once in clear air Lewis and co had no trouble dropping Michael at close to a second a lap.

Ooh, how are we surprise that McLaren is superior car to MGP?? We didn't know that!! Thank you for sharing. But, this speed difference doesn't help him much for 20 laps or so? And what is the point for MS to push, he will need this engine again.
We just see how much DRS is killing the racing. You have two push to pass buttons - DRS and KERS. I miss the fights for every place.

Edited by ivand911, 12 September 2011 - 06:18.

#13262 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,201 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:22

How so?

Do you happen to know by any chance the difference between being racey and being competitive?

#13263 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,167 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:26

Do you happen to know by any chance the difference between being racey and being competitive?

In fairness, I think he was responding to the comment that the W02 finished further back than it should have. Not the racey part.

#13264 teejay

teejay

• 3,550 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:27

Im not sure what your points are - but mine is that I most impressed with Michael today - took a car that cleary isnt a match on pure pace and managed to fight hard for an extended period of time.

I wasnt saying anything negative about it any shape or form

As per above - he was racey as hell, it was awesome. The car finished probably higher than it should have thanks to Webber and Massa

Edited by teejay, 12 September 2011 - 06:29.

#13265 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,201 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:29

Im not sure what your points are - but mine is that I most impressed with Michael today - took a car that cleary isnt a much on pure pace and managed to fight hard for an extended period of time.

I wasnt saying anything negative about it any shape or form

KiloWatt made it clear. I think I misunderstood. I thought you were referring the racey part.

Sorry for that :up:

I agree with your comment then.

#13266 Paco

Paco

• 1,145 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:25

I guess you're only as good as your last race :rotfl: Very little board noise about MS being slow.. should retire.. doesn't have it in him.. :rotfl:

I for one was glad he kept it clean and proved a lot of people wrong that it's time for him to hang up his helmet.

#13267 sharo

sharo

• 1,764 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:06

Taken from another forum

MS:
No I don´t think I´m finally coming good it´s just the car and team gave me the opportunity to fight closer to the front .In every other regard I´m like I am and I try to get the most out of what I have.The last two weekends the car was good enough for the position I ended up with simple as that .Of course I can judge situations very cool and measured just because of my long career and the many top guys I had the pleasure of driving with ...and i enjoy every moment having those fights .Obviously you are maximising your opportunities right to the edge, but you have to when your counterpart is Hamilton or Alonso and they do the same.

#13268 Dusty

Dusty

• 274 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:04

I have to admit the Schumacher Hamilton battle was epic and really made the race in Monza yesterday. I'd loved to have been at the track to see those two glued together for something like 22 laps. Fantastic.

#13269 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:35

I love how all the di Resta fanboys (Schumacher trolls) have quietened down since Sutil has twice as many points. A tad bit early yes, but I can't see anyone better replacing Michael for '13.

#13270 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,428 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:40

I love how all the di Resta fanboys (Schumacher trolls) have quietened down since Sutil has twice as many points. A tad bit early yes, but I can't see anyone better replacing Michael for '13.

Well, we still have to consider Petrov and Heidfeld as his replacement like someone suggested a few weeks back. :p

#13271 Wilgot

Wilgot

• 121 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:21

Great show yesterday! If only the car was a little better... PF1 put Schumi as a loser in the "Winners and Losers". :cool: Gotta love the drama queens!

#13272 sharo

sharo

• 1,764 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:22

Great show yesterday! If only the car was a little better... PF1 put Schumi as a loser in the "Winners and Losers". :cool: Gotta love the drama queens!

Let it be. The more they try, the more they suffer :)

#13273 razno

razno

• 82 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:31

Let it be. The more they try, the more they suffer :)

That why i deleted their bookmark from browser....

#13274 Number62

Number62

• 492 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:39

Well, we still have to consider Petrov and Heidfeld as his replacement like someone suggested a few weeks back. :p

I think that was probably me.

I have a new observation that the people who most like the little yellow faces are those least able to follow a logical train of thought. Haven't seen you use the little one with the question marks for hair yet. Here, maybe this'll help.

Awful driving from Schumacher yesterday and a reminder why most will never consider him a SPORTING great (hint, the emphasis is important).

Regards.

Edited by Number62, 12 September 2011 - 12:44.

#13275 pUs

pUs

• 2,539 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:41

You just had to edit out the stroke, I see. Big of you :up:

Certainly. But also big enough to actually watch the sport I'm discussing. Try do that the next time, it will help. :D

#13276 sharo

sharo

• 1,764 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:43

First of all there must be a clear understanding of what you, me and the others assume as SPORTING.

#13277 pUs

pUs

• 2,539 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:49

Awful driving from Schumacher yesterday and a reminder why most will never consider him a SPORTING great (hint, the emphasis is important).

"Most" ? Based on what?

Edited by pUs, 12 September 2011 - 12:49.

#13278 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,428 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:52

I have a new observation that the people who most like the little yellow faces are those least able to follow a logical train of thought.

Here is a new yellow face : :rotfl:

Your logical train of thought concluded that Michael should have been replaced by Petrov or Heidfeld. Need i say more or do you still cling to the same conclusion?

Hint : there was nothing logical about your opinion.

Edited by Diablobb81, 12 September 2011 - 12:53.

#13279 Number62

Number62

• 492 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:57

Here is a new yellow face : :rotfl:

Your logical train of thought concluded that Michael should have been replaced by Petrov or Heidfeld. Need i say more or do you still cling to the same conclusion?

Hint : there was nothing logical about your opinion.

Thank you for proving my point in such a succinct manner.

Advertisement

#13280 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,428 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:59

Thank you for proving my point in such a succinct manner.

Your point being that you were wrong?

So, do you think Nick should replace Michael? He is free now.

#13281 weston

weston

• 370 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 14:04

"Most" ? Based on what?

Indeed. The driver of the day was... Schumacher by a vote of 36% in a british heavy online media (James Allen's blog).

http://www.jamesalle...r-of-the-day-2/

#13282 cutchemist42

cutchemist42

• 103 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 14:22

In a more equal car with the Mclarens or Ferraris, I cannot imagine someone passing Michael at all, based on the ferocity I saw yesterday in an inferior car.

#13283 schubacca

schubacca

• 795 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 14:27

At 42 years old, MS still shows that he got what it takes.

MS at 42 is better than DC or Brundell in their primes...... I think that ticks those commentators off to no end.

:)

#13284 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 14:39

A great race from Michael. It was a very exciting battle between M.S & HAM. Loved it!

Found a picture of Jock Clear with M.S
Posted Image

#13285 Paco

Paco

• 1,145 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 14:44

Is just me but was Schumi's coincide with Jock Clear becoming his engineer????

#13286 GoRacing

GoRacing

• 291 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 14:58

BBC are taking it to a whole new level in their anti-MS bias. I purposely went to read Andrew Benson's blog and boy I wasn't surprised. Their favourite was totally owned by MS.

http://www.bbc.co.uk.../09/post_2.html

#13287 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 15:00

I really wonder what happen with Mark Slade? Official version doesn't seem right. MS doesn't like his way of working? Very strange. Maybe we will hear about him in another team.

#13288 pUs

pUs

• 2,539 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 15:02

Is just me but was Schumi's coincide with Jock Clear becoming his engineer????

Don't know yet, two races is a bit too little to say it's a trend. But I'm beginning to wonder. Perhaps they just work really good together?

#13289 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 15:17

I have a new observation that the people who most like the little yellow faces are those least able to follow a logical train of thought. Haven't seen you use the little one with the question marks for hair yet. Here, maybe this'll help.

Regards.

:rotfl:
And it's coming from a Lewis "fanatic"

I'm glad Schumi was racy coz it gave me a reason to watch,and make all those who've lately said Ham can't race/isn't safe wheel2wheel eat their own ......

#13290 Jordana

Jordana

• 740 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 16:03

Two weeks ago, Spa and now, Monza... Yeah! The "old" guy knows how to drive... Brilliant!

Amazing Schumi! :clap:

#13291 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 730 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 16:12

Yes, they've at least given Michael something to work with. The car is far from the complete package, but he's now got it punching above its weight. If they figure out how to build some decent grip into the next chassis, watch out!

#13292 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 16:16

McLaren is complaining about Schumacher's driving at Monza (again). Do they have a point, or this is just a whining team in which Hamilton cannnot do wrong, and everyone else is not adequate, or wrong?

I personanly think it's diversion from theirs, what I think is rather a poor season.

#13293 Number62

Number62

• 492 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 16:25

:rotfl:
And it's coming from a Lewis "fanatic"

??? Strange observation.

#13294 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,486 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 16:30

At 42 years old, MS still shows that he got what it takes.

MS at 42 is better than DC or Brundell in their primes...... I think that ticks those commentators off to no end.

:)

So true. :up: DC's anti-MS bias is nauseating. He can't say anything nice without fisrt taking a swipe at the 7 time champ. Just because MS spanked him silly his whole (mostly forgettable) career. What a petty little dweeb. At least Brundle is a little more tempered in his approach.

#13295 Unbiased

Unbiased

• 414 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 16:38

Driver of the race, again like Canada.

Perfect defending, right on the edge of what is allowed and never crossing it. The way he almost intuitively felt where Hamilton was and put him in his place was extraordinary to watch.

It's just sad seeing him in a car that does not match his talents. Mercedes are pumping everything they got into 2012, so let's see what they can deliver.

#13296 DS27

DS27

• 941 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 17:05

Driver of the race, again like Canada.

I thought so too. What a surprise that DC didn't think to even consider it though.

Seriously, DC and to a lesser extent Brundle, were, to use their own words "pushing the boundaries" of biased commentating and in DC's case so far over the line, that he couldn't even see it.

How many times did he prattle on about the unspoken code of conduct that drivers have. Has he ever mentioned this code during LH's many incidents (or how about Alonso putting Vettel on the grass - not even worth a mention?)? DC was always a second rate driver who lucked in to driving more or less the best car his entire career. He cannot hide his chip on his shoulder that he never possessed the skills or mental attitiude needed to win a championship, and he see's everything in Michael that he would have given his right arm to be. I'm almost glad that there will be Sky coverage so I don't have to listen to the donk next year.

Right, I'm off for a lie down....

Edited by DS27, 12 September 2011 - 17:17.

#13297 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 17:15

McLaren is complaining about Schumacher's driving at Monza (again). Do they have a point, or this is just a whining team in which Hamilton cannnot do wrong, and everyone else is not adequate, or wrong?

I personanly think it's diversion from theirs, what I think is rather a poor season.

the last few years charlie has listened to the teams to much to the extent that ferrari and mclaren were running to him almost every race pointing fingers because it worked. its no suprise they are still trying

Asked for his verdict on Schumacher's driving, Whitmarsh said: "Pretty harsh. I am not the least impartial but the fact is, I think he was warned twice by the stewards during the event so they presumably saw it was a bit tough. I think the one where he had Lewis on the grass was a scary as hell."

ya stewards warned him after someone went crying to charlie....

scary as hell on the grass you say? were you saying that in 2008 when it was lewis? thought not

just not happy someone in a slower car who should have moved over like a backmarker had the better of your golden boy lewis are we......

Edited by arknor, 12 September 2011 - 17:18.

#13298 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 18:31

BBC are taking it to a whole new level in their anti-MS bias. I purposely went to read Andrew Benson's blog and boy I wasn't surprised. Their favourite was totally owned by MS.

http://www.bbc.co.uk.../09/post_2.html

Just read the comments , 80-85% support Michael and don't like Benson article. They also don't like BBC commentators bias.

#13299 HappyPhantom

HappyPhantom

• 273 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 21:48

I really wonder what happen with Mark Slade? Official version doesn't seem right. MS doesn't like his way of working? Very strange. Maybe we will hear about him in another team.

Mark Slade is already gone? Didn't know that... What's the official story?

I agree with some of the above comments. He definitely was DOTD for me too. Didn't anything wrong with his defending, he just knows how too.
And McLaren is just Mclaren. Big optimism before the race and excuses after.

Edit: I don't get why some say Shumi chopped Hamilton. How can it be a chop when he wasn't next to him, in fact Hamilton looked "pretty far" away to me

Edited by HappyPhantom, 12 September 2011 - 21:52.

Advertisement

#13300 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 730 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 22:01

I've always been highly supportive of the BBC coverage and their commentary team. However their credibility has taken a hit from this event as far as I am concerned.

I've kept my mouth shut until now because one doesn't always know how much of what is said on air comes from the actual person behind the microphone, or from the other person that he hears through that little earphone they all wear. But Brundle has overstepped the line in his blog, especially in the light of the continual conduct of his favorite driver over his entire career and especially this season. Hamilton hasn't been blocking and squeezing, he's been ramming. What Shumacher did was a work of art in defensive driving and should be appreciated for what it was.