• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#13351 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:39

From PF1, full MS -team radio:
http://planetf1.com/...er-Of-Toad-Hall

"Engineer: Michael, we're concerned you might get a penalty for blocking.

Michael: Why?

Engineer: Because Race Control just warned us you were blocking.

Michael: Blocking? Why - it's my own team-mate?

Engineer: No, it's Hamilton. That yellow helmet is Hamilton not Nico.

Michael: Oh (pause) I can't see anything in my mirrors.

Engineer: Are the mirrors broken?

Michael: No, somebody has stuck a nice photo of Kobayashi in the left mirror and Petrov in the right mirror.

Engineer: Can you repeat that?

Michael: Only joking - hang on a second, we're coming up to Ascari ...Yes! And again he fails to take The Schum! Get in there mein Sohn!

Engineer: Michael, you have to stop blocking.

Michael: We are having a nice battle.

Engineer: Charlie doesn't see it that way.

Michael: You know I wonder if I can get him onto the grass this lap...

Engineer: If you don't stop blocking I'm going to get Ross.

Michael: Not listening!

Ross: Michael, this is Ross. You have to leave room for Lewis at Ascari

Michael: There is plenty of room.

Ross: You need to leave a car's width of tarmac, not just a car's width between yours and the barrier.

Michael: This really is a nice lot of fun.

Ross: Michael, you have to leave Lewis room, if you collide-

Michael: He'll get the blame. He always gets the blame for everything. It won't be a problem.

Ross: We had enough trouble with Rubens last year.

Michael: Schum, Schum, Schum Schum, Schuuuuuuuuuum!

Ross: If you don't move over I'll tell people about 1994.

Michael: Er...you know, I think my tyres are going off.

[Ends]"
:p

Edited by ivand911, 13 September 2011 - 10:39.

Advertisement

#13352 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 641 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:12

From clip the apex:

Most overtaking moves (season):

Jenson Button 67
Michael Schumacher 59
Mark Webber 58
Felipe Massa 55
Sebastien Buemi 52

Of course, Button has 26 from Canada.

#13353 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:15

From clip the apex:

Most overtaking moves (season):

Jenson Button 67
Michael Schumacher 59
Mark Webber 58
Felipe Massa 55
Sebastien Buemi 52

Of course, Button has 26 from Canada.

they wont count first lap overtakes as no other site ever has..

schumacher has 35overtakes on the first lap so far

#13354 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,569 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:17

Very funny :lol:
The sad part is the comments on that page from a bunch of whiners who don't have a sense of humour. Give over guys and have a laugh. :)

#13355 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:33

"Michael: Only joking - hang on a second, we're coming up to Ascari ...Yes! And again he fails to take The Schum! Get in there mein Sohn!"

That is exactly how I imagine him to be in the helmet

Edited by DutchCruijff, 13 September 2011 - 11:42.

#13356 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:37

Very well said. It was beautiful to watch. As someone else said, MS showed more spirit than the entire grid combined. People can say what they want, you don't win 7WDC by being a pussy and a pushover. MS did exactly what he had to do. On a track where the W02s weaknesses were less evident, Lewis got to know the real Schumacher. And he finally met up with someone that gave him exactly what he's been giving to the rest of the field.

Not even close. Lewis has to hope for Michael to stay in a lesser car, because in equal machinery Lewis would end up in tears; at least that's the feeling I have.

Edited by Sakae, 13 September 2011 - 11:38.

#13357 Jordana

Jordana

• 740 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:16

Not even close. Lewis has to hope for Michael to stay in a lesser car, because in equal machinery Lewis would end up in tears; at least that's the feeling I have.

And not only Lewis, few others would have the time of their lives if they had to fight Schumi in similar machinery! And wait and see if Mercedes can build a good car for next season, if they do... We'll have fun... :p

#13358 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,183 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:31

Not sure with which part you disagree. I'm sort of implying the same thing.

#13359 anachronox

anachronox

• 144 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 13:11

Surprisingly Lewis has kept quiet about the Monza weekend, I am guessing he must be feeling embarassed that he couldnt pass Michael for all those laps!

I only wish that Mercedes builds a capable car next year!

Advertisement

#13360 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,569 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 13:34

I'm sorry but lewis was heavily beaten this time. a fantastic battle and michael showed him how to resist. lewis was really pissed off after the race because he couldnt make a move and he got passed 2 times by michael.

Yeah but Lewis passed Michael twice aswell and finished the race ahead of him so in my book Lewis won in the end and collected more points out of the race. Both drivers drove their socks off but all this criticism of Lewis not being able to overtake is ridiculous. He did overtake and yes he did make errors previously. It was an exciting race but yet again there is this need to make one driver out to be the loser. Get over it.

#13361 z2z

z2z

• 295 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 13:55

Surprisingly Lewis has kept quiet about the Monza weekend, I am guessing he must be feeling embarassed that he couldnt pass Michael for all those laps!

thr nothing to be embarrassed about. I think it is positive from Lewis. :up:

All Hail Kaiser :smoking:

#13362 dynomoman2

dynomoman2

• 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 14:01

People want Michael to just pull over and let someone by? F1 is a girls sport these days. Michael is a true racer, that's why he makes it hard to overtake him. F1 will die if it keeps going along the lines of push a button and overtake and don't get in my way, boo hoo. :wave:

Edited by dynomoman2, 13 September 2011 - 14:01.

#13363 EdwardCullen

EdwardCullen

• 763 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 14:02

Yeah but Lewis passed Michael twice aswell and finished the race ahead of him so in my book Lewis won in the end and collected more points out of the race. Both drivers drove their socks off but all this criticism of Lewis not being able to overtake is ridiculous. He did overtake and yes he did make errors previously. It was an exciting race but yet again there is this need to make one driver out to be the loser. Get over it.

And Michael did overtake him back twice on track aswell and once out of the pits and that too with a vastly inferiror car to Mclaren's WC contenting car! :up:

#13364 sharo

sharo

• 1,772 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 14:30

Me too. It takes two to tango. They fought at close distance some 20 laps without crashing out and into each other. And thanks to the combination of set-ups of their cars on Sunday without great advantage for one of them. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

#13365 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,740 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 15:22

I agree, both of them really raced hard and lewis won the battle.
it must have cost him some more time/positions than the ideal but he's not a machine and he took a more cool headed approach.
I think both of them really enjoyed the fight.

#13366 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 15:31

Me too. It takes two to tango. They fought at close distance some 20 laps without crashing out and into each other. And thanks to the combination of set-ups of their cars on Sunday without great advantage for one of them. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

In the quest of promoting F1, I wish Mclaren, Hamilton, DC and Brundle would be so cheerful too. Like you said, nothing to be embarrassed about. More, Hamilton wanted an epic fight with Schumacher, now he has one for the files. Good for him.

#13367 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,332 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 22:35

I think you have been very fair in your assessment on this race, but I did laugh at the highlighted bits :wave:

#13368 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 23:03

Before Schumacher came back into f1, Hamilton always said that Schumacher was the driver he wanted to race against, and that even included Senna, and now he's raced with him, he'll value that Monza race more then many would believe in the years ahead,
even Alonso knows and recently talked about Schumaher's 20th anniversary, that it was Alonso's on track tusssles with Schumacher, that will largely be remembered, Hamilton knows the same, and so does Schumacher, clearly enjoyed racing with a fellow racer on a level that isn't possible with most other drivers.

My first thought when I was seeing the battle. "Wish granted". He can show it to his grand kids one day, look granpa had one of the most intense battles of 2011 versus one of the Greats.

To all Schumi fans saying Lewis got owned,shame on you. What you needed to see "that" to still believe the old man got it given the right circumstances? Did ya'll miss Canada?

#13369 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 23:15

Michael: No, somebody has stuck a nice photo of Kobayashi in the left mirror and Petrov in the right mirror.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Story of MS and his comeback.He finally gets to battle the other guy that can battle to the limit and everyone is mad/sad. I seriously think the MS/LH battle will be talked for ages.
PURE RACING!!!

#13370 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,332 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:03

Ivan

that PF1 radio transmission was actually quite funny :clap: :clap:

#13371 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,239 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 17:48

From watching his whole F1 career, his fights against Senna, Hill, Villeneuve, Hakkinen, Alonso and other Champions, his struggle at Ferrari and then multiple titles with them. To his retirement and then this comeback.

Schumachers second F1 career always seemed a little tentative to me, he seemed just a tiny bit too much relaxed. As he could not impress over Rosberg and until his critics got louder and louder, it seemed like there was no way Schumachers comeback could do anything but disapoint in the publics eye. It was almost like he was expected to come back and win right away or soon after.

Maybe even because of these expectations, his approach and driving didnt seem as hungry and uncompromising as it was in his first career. Although it seemed to me personally like he was doing a "good" job so far, his famous critics got louder and louder, until it reached a point this summer, where it seemingly came from all the directions, calls for retirement!

With his back against the wall, his attitude seemed to change, it was almost like, now he got something to prove again!

His great drive in Spa and Monza, looked not only impressive but totally determined and most of all fearless. The way he closed the door on Hamilton at Curva Grande... he knew if Hamilton would not back out it would be him who would hit the wall hard. The way he defended with a knife between his teeth was the good old Schumacher we love to hate. Something changed in his attitude over this summer break, his great comeback at Spa from the back of the field, and his impressive drive at Monza, gets you excited about whats next to come from him. Even as a not-Schumacher Fan, a win or even a 8th title with Mercedes in his age and in this era would be you know how historically amazing.

Edited by Kucki, 14 September 2011 - 17:53.

#13372 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,695 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 17:51

Well, there has been two Mercedes-tracks now, and there are some doubts about the lack of fuel in Rosbergs car in Spa. So, I'm not convinced.

#13373 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 7,027 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 18:05

Too soon to say, but I've enjoyed watching his comeback from a neutral perspective - he's provided some of the most exciting stuff we've seen this season and I've love for him to nick a win. I hope stays for a couple more years yet, and if there's one thing to take away from his comeback it's that we tend to judge drivers too soon. If the best driver the sport's ever seen (statistically, whatever) takes this long to get up to speed (but actually does get up to speed when given the time), then I'd hope it means some people slow down on critiquing rookies one or two races into a career.

I've never had strong feelings either way about Schumacher. I started following the sport after his early years, and started following it seriously after his dominant years, so this, for lack of a better term, 'underdog Schumacher' is as real as he's ever been as a driver to me. Ten years from now this will be my memory of Schumi, not Ferrari or earlier, and whatever you may think of him, this year he's been fun as hell to watch, and very easy to like.

#13374 schubacca

schubacca

• 796 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 18:33

MS in his prime is long gone. I say that as a hardcore MS fan. But youth must be served and the game moves on.

I will say that MS at 42 is a treat to watch and is doing things that other 32 year olds would have difficulty achieving.

Some perspective:

The Great Miki Hakinnen is 42
The WDC Jacques Villeneueve is 40
The Not-So-Great David Coulthard is 40
Kimi Raikonen is 31

I am not saying that he is now operating consistently at the level of LH, FA, or SV. But he is a treat to watch.

#13375 george1981

george1981

• 731 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 18:39

Well, there has been two Mercedes-tracks now, and there are some doubts about the lack of fuel in Rosbergs car in Spa. So, I'm not convinced.

I thought that Rosberg wasn't expecting to be that far ahead and hence used more fuel than expected.
However the same could be said for MS in Monza I doubt anyone at Mercedes thought he would be fighting for 3rd for so long so why wasn't MS low on fuel?

#13376 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,302 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 18:44

Too soon to say, but I've enjoyed watching his comeback from a neutral perspective - he's provided some of the most exciting stuff we've seen this season and I've love for him to nick a win. I hope stays for a couple more years yet, and if there's one thing to take away from his comeback it's that we tend to judge drivers too soon. If the best driver the sport's ever seen (statistically, whatever) takes this long to get up to speed (but actually does get up to speed when given the time), then I'd hope it means some people slow down on critiquing rookies one or two races into a career.

This. :up:

I personally don't think he's 'back' yet--he probably won't be setting a new standard in comparison to his old form--but his form on these last few reaces has been really good. I think, realistically, we'll only know if he ever lost it when he finds himself in with a shot at the championship again.

The Great Miki Hakinnen is 42

Haha, a Schumacher/Hakkinen pairing at Mercedes after all these years would be nothing short of hilarious, amazing, and a complete failure all at the same time. :p

Edited by Afterburner, 14 September 2011 - 19:47.

#13377 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,105 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 18:44

The Schumacher at his championship dominating past is long gone. He has in general performed averagely, nothing poor, but nothing really good either. He's put in a good performance or two, but these have been exceptions rather than his general form.

#13378 salamin

salamin

• 1,692 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 18:46

The Schumacher at his championship dominating past is long gone. He has in general performed averagely, nothing poor, but nothing really good either. He's put in a good performance or two, but these have been exceptions rather than his general form.

still he is catching his highly rated team mate in points

Edited by salamin, 14 September 2011 - 18:46.

#13379 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 733 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 18:51

He's extracting everything the car has to offer, and a bit more. Give him a better car, achieve a better result.

Advertisement

#13380 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,885 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 18:53

He never went away, just fighting with a crap car that handles like a truck.

#13381 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,505 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 18:58

Wasn't he already back at Hungary last year?

#13382 faaaz

faaaz

• 1,870 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 18:58

Old Schumacher = Beating team mates in quali and race

Until that becomes consistent, can't really say he is the old Schuey. I suspect he'll have a tough job doing that with Rosberg

#13383 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 19:05

Another few good performances and I'd say yes. Spa & Monza are the two strong tracks for Mercedes. Schumacher was awful in Singapore last year and the car is unlikely to be strong there. So lets wait and see.

#13384 Wi000

Wi000

• 1,163 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 19:20

Wasn't he already back at Hungary last year?

Epic stuff it was, it's rumored Barrichello regularly wakes up at night sweating, thinking of this awesome duel where he was once again humiliated by Schumi. :cool:

#13385 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 19:33

Another few good performances and I'd say yes. Spa & Monza are the two strong tracks for Mercedes. Schumacher was awful in Singapore last year and the car is unlikely to be strong there. So lets wait and see.

last year the car had no traction , barely any mechanical grip etc the car doesnt look as much a handful at all it just isnt quick enough i doubt he will be struggling at singapore

#13386 rm111

rm111

• 406 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 21:19

MS in his prime is long gone. I say that as a hardcore MS fan. But youth must be served and the game moves on.

I will say that MS at 42 is a treat to watch and is doing things that other 32 year olds would have difficulty achieving.

:up:

#13387 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 21:24

Old Schumacher = Beating team mates in quali and race

Until that becomes consistent, can't really say he is the old Schuey. I suspect he'll have a tough job doing that with Rosberg

It won't. I'm a big fan and love to see the glimpses of old MS, but there's no way MS 2011 can demonstrate the raw speed of MS 1990s. That's not to say he can't still be very much worthy of a seat however, as we've seen in recent races.

#13388 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,323 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 21:26

I as a fan am already expecting little to be honest. i will be pleased with 8th or 9th in Singapore, because i think thats the max he will be able to get out of the car.

#13389 sharo

sharo

• 1,772 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 22:09

The finishing place is of little importance to me as long as I see master drive.
After Monza I keep thinking how he managed to keep a comparable speed through the curves with so little grip and even some times to brake later than Lewis on the straight.

#13390 ClockworkRacing

ClockworkRacing

• 316 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 22:20

To me it seems that Schumy has put his head in place during this summer break,he drove like a rookie hungry for points in Spa and Monza,the way he closed the door at Lewis was just the old Schumy back.
I truly expect Merc to be competitive in Singapore

#13391 Wretched

Wretched

• 54 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 22:32

If only Merc could build a decent car that could be on par with the Mcl/Ferrari/RB cars. I'd like to see what Schuey could do then.

#13392 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,322 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 22:58

If only Merc could build a decent car that could be on par with the Mcl/Ferrari/RB cars. I'd like to see what Schuey could do then.

Schu would be quite at a sight to see; granted it might not be like 1998 Schumacher; but he can peform at his 2006 level.

#13393 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:33

See it this way; ...

I am 4th, and YOU ARE 5th.

question again...

think...

.....Think HARRRRRRRRD.....

are you REALLY happy?

(ps, read between the lines)

:smoking: :rotfl:

Edited by Frans, 15 September 2011 - 02:33.

#13394 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,241 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:06

I thought that Rosberg wasn't expecting to be that far ahead and hence used more fuel than expected.
However the same could be said for MS in Monza I doubt anyone at Mercedes thought he would be fighting for 3rd for so long so why wasn't MS low on fuel?

Once LH was past he could have gone into fuel saving mode. There was plenty of race left for that. What would be interesting to know is if he could have continued the fight all the way to the end of the race without fuel issues.

#13395 as65p

as65p

• 17,227 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:31

Once LH was past he could have gone into fuel saving mode. There was plenty of race left for that. What would be interesting to know is if he could have continued the fight all the way to the end of the race without fuel issues.

The SC at the beginning basically meant that fuel issues were unlikely for anyone.

#13396 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,241 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:36

The SC at the beginning basically meant that fuel issues were unlikely for anyone.

Was it out for long enough to have real impact?

#13397 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:36

Schumacher :up:

#13398 GoRacing

GoRacing

• 291 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:48

From Mark's BBC column, talk about favourities!! We all know Mark and Fernando are good friends and well, we all know how he gets along with Seb, so it's all a bit pathetic really to read this:

"There were two major talking points after Monza - the battle between Lewis Hamilton and Michael Schumacher, and Seb overtaking Fernando Alonso for the lead.

It was a unique fight between Michael and Lewis because the McLaren was running up against the rev limiter, so Michael had a speed advantage on the straights. He could position his car very cutely to try to keep him out.

There were a few times when Michael returned to the normal line having defended. That's the point of interest because it's not what most drivers understand to be acceptable.

Once incident in particular stood out - out of the second chicane and into Lesmo, when Lewis had a clear run and Michael went across to defend and then came back again.

Moving that many times was pushing the boundaries.

The incident between Seb and Fernando was completely different.

I have seen that Fernando has copped some criticism for easing Seb out to the edge of the track, but he did nothing wrong.

He did nothing erratic; it was a hard, consistent squeeze. They were side by side and at some point Seb touched the grass. "

http://news.bbc.co.u...ne/14921814.stm

#13399 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:51

Mate, those collumns are written by ghost writers. Probably Andrew Benson.

Advertisement

#13400 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,465 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:00

Mate, those collumns are written by ghost writers. Probably Andrew Benson.

Even if it was a ghost writer they are still approved by the 'name'. My nephew ghostwrites regularly for sports publications, which is how I know this.

Having said that, the 'name' won't always read that carefully (but usually do).