Photo

Michael Schumacher (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20789 replies to this topic

#14251 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:06

No. I saw him rocket passed Kobayashi, who stalled, and nearly stopped. Shumi basically started 7th and was 7th after the first lap. That isn't something to WOW over. But then again, as little there is to WOW over Shumi these days, I guess this is as good as it gets.

you didnt see him trying to drive around the outside of webber then? get your eyes tested

I like how MS is managing his tyres lately(6-7 races). This is helping much for the good results. He learn the tires. Last year he was behind with tires.

i think he managed them a bit to much today in the second stint he was saving the tyres for almost the whole stint , redbull mclaren pitted and schumacher had only just started pushing lol..

it turned out good though as if he would have used his tyres up in the same time as redbull and ferrari he would have already pitted before the safety car

Edited by arknor, 09 October 2011 - 11:08.

Advertisement

#14252 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:07

Pirelli's Paul Hembery: "We were impressed when he [Vettel] came to see us, and I think it gave us a little insight into what he is like as a driver. What he did with us, he clearly does that in all areas that he operates in. The only other driver that asks us a lot of questions is another German – who is a bit older with quite a few more championships under his belt. We found that interesting."

Who would that be?
;)

I am in tears. :)

#14253 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,097 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:08

Fantastic drive by Schumi, great to see him leading for a few laps as well. I hope this form continues into 2012 - one would imagine that the front teams will be looking towards 2012, let's hope Schumi can get a podium before the end of the year. :up:

#14254 salamin

salamin

• 1,692 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:08

Pirelli's Paul Hembery: "We were impressed when he [Vettel] came to see us, and I think it gave us a little insight into what he is like as a driver. What he did with us, he clearly does that in all areas that he operates in. The only other driver that asks us a lot of questions is another German – who is a bit older with quite a few more championships under his belt. We found that interesting."

Who would that be?
;)

nothing changed with working ethic it seems :up:

#14255 GoRacing

GoRacing

• 291 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:13

Anyone got an onboard of MS start?

#14256 Wi000

Wi000

• 1,163 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:14

Fantastic drive by Schumi, great to see him leading for a few laps as well. I hope this form continues into 2012 - one would imagine that the front teams will be looking towards 2012, let's hope Schumi can get a podium before the end of the year. :up:

Yes he's really getting back to his old form :up:

Getting comfortable with the tyres, ironing out the mistakes and with a good winter preparation he should be ready for podiums or even a win if the car is upto it in 2012.

#14257 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:16

No. I saw him rocket passed Kobayashi, who stalled, and nearly stopped. Shumi basically started 7th and was 7th after the first lap. That isn't something to WOW over. But then again, as little there is to WOW over Shumi these days, I guess this is as good as it gets.

I wish they would fix the reply boxes here as you can see ignored posters but otherwise ...

Posted Image

#14258 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,470 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:16

We should all be admiring the fact that Schumacher has lost none of his speed and physical prowess. The team is obviously the weakness to the overall performance, Schumacher s driving brilliantly and actually enjoying it more and mroe the faster the car is slowly getting. I think if they don't have success next year he should look for another drive somewhere else and keep on going.

#14259 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:17

The only other driver that asks us a lot of questions is another German – who is a bit older with quite a few more championships under his belt. We found that interesting."

Who would that be?
;)

And all this time I thought Walter Rohl had retired ;)

The team is obviously the weakness to the overall performance, Schumacher s driving brilliantly and actually enjoying it more and mroe the faster the car is slowly getting. I think if they don't have success next year he should look for another drive somewhere else and keep on going.

Seriously to post that is to not understand MS's commitment and the way he goes about things.

Edited by cheapracer, 09 October 2011 - 11:19.

Advertisement

#14260 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:19

Who would that be?
;)

He apparently also added this:

"... It is like seeing the master and the protege at work. ..Whenever you work with the best, there is always a lot to do with the level of detail... these guys don't sleep at night thinking about how to improve things. Vettel has picked that approach up from someone, or he was born like that. There could be a temptation from people when they get to Fl to think that they have made it, but the reality is he hasn't stopped - and he probably will not be happy until he has got seven titles under his belt, like the master..

:D

#14261 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:22

This from a Hamilton fan :lol:

#14262 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 2,883 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:26

And all this time I thought Walter Rohl had retired ;)

:lol:

He apparently also added this:
:D

I have a colleague who is German and has the same discipline and seriousness. It might down to being German, I don't know whether Sutil or Rosberg has the same work ethic. Interesting.

#14263 VresiBerba

VresiBerba

• 8,951 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:45

you didnt see him trying to drive around the outside of webber then?

Yes. Did it succeed, no. Was it a bad start because it didn't succeed, no. Was it "what a start!!1!" because it almost did, NO.

get your eyes tested

They're working just fine, thank you very much.

#14264 VresiBerba

VresiBerba

• 8,951 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:46

This from a Hamilton fan :lol:

Oh, for god's sake, I'm no 'Hamilton fan'. I fan one driver, and you know damn well who it is.

#14265 VresiBerba

VresiBerba

• 8,951 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:48

I wish they would fix the reply boxes here as you can see ignored posters but otherwise ...

Posted Image

You know, spamming your ignorez aren't going to stop me from posting. Alas, my world doesn't revolve around you.

#14266 sharo

sharo

• 1,751 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:50

Oh, for god's sake, I'm no 'Hamilton fan'. I fan one driver, and you know damn well who it is.

In such case wouldn't it be better for you to open a thread about that driver and let us be your guests?

#14267 joshb

joshb

• 3,073 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:54

Strong showing from Schumi today... even rolled back the years by leading a few laps!

#14268 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 637 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:11

Just looked into who outside the top three teams finished in between 1st and 6th and how many times:

Schumacher - 5 (best 4th)
Rosberg - 4 (best 5th)
Petrov - 2 (best 3rd)
Heidfeld - 1 (best 3rd)
Kobayashi - 1 (best 5th)
Di Resta - 1 (best 6th)
Sutil - 1 (best 6th)

Although Petrov and Heidfeld finished third when they were arguably driving the third best car at the beginning of the season.

#14269 VresiBerba

VresiBerba

• 8,951 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:14

In such case wouldn't it be better for you to open a thread about that driver and let us be your guests?

What for, I'm not the one talking about Montoya, I'm talking about Shumi, and this is the thread to talk about Shumi.

#14270 Igorr

Igorr

• 219 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:35

now looking forward to Korea, another track that Schumi likes, and was very close to the podium last year, so it should be interesting.

#14271 salamin

salamin

• 1,692 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:39

it seems "what a start!!1!" is the new "everything else it doesn't matter" :drunk:

#14272 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 2,883 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:44

Well, I just don't like, never liked, the way VresiBerba is treating Schumacher's way of driving or legacy for that matter or his comeback, but that doesn't mean whatever he's saying should be interpreted as trolling or bashing. I kind of agree with him in that Schumacher didn't do "what a start", but a good one. Not bad, not particularly great as opposed to starts he made this year, but a respectable one. He was right there with Webber, nearly overtook him. Nice effort.

What caught my eye more in the race is the ability of him coping with the tyres when team forgot to change front wing settings. He was very slow along esses, trying to protect them. That is a very good sign for 2012 in terms of tyre management and understanding. Giving me hope that he could stay on board 2013 onwards, which would give VresiBerba plenty of opportunity also staying on board and spending more time in Schumacher's thread(s).

Pun intended.
:)

#14273 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 684 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:45

now looking forward to Korea, another track that Schumi likes, and was very close to the podium last year, so it should be interesting.

Was a bit fortunate with the Webber and Rosberg crash mind you.

#14274 JtP1

JtP1

• 753 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:47

The most impressive thing about MS in Japan was that he set the fastest 3rd sector time of the race. That being the bit that contains the 130R. So no lack of total commitment there.

#14275 salamin

salamin

• 1,692 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:49

The most impressive thing about MS in Japan was that he set the fastest 3rd sector time of the race. That being the bit that contains the 130R. So no lack of total commitment there.

and it was on primes IIRC

#14276 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:49

I liked his controlled, clever thinking throughout too. This is why he won 7 titles.

#14277 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 2,883 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:52

And don't forget the chicane. Sebastian Vettel was behind Jenson Button in his hot lap of qualifying until the chicane, where he earned his pole position due to better line he took compared to Button.

I remember Ross Brawn saying that there was nothing to choose between two drivers in high speed sections but Nico managed to gain time on Schumacher in slow corners. Schumacher must have made a step forward on that area too. OK, 130R is a quite fast corner but with these engines, any driver could go there flat out. It's the chicanes and technical corners that would do create the difference. I believe this wasn't Schumacher's strong suit after his comeback. Now, he seems to find his groove on that too. Very very promising.

#14278 Igorr

Igorr

• 219 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 13:14

Was a bit fortunate with the Webber and Rosberg crash mind you.

well you could say that, plus vetted had an engine problem, but still the pace was very good, he also managed to overtook button in the race, so it remains to be seen. Time will tell :)
It is still very hard to get more than P7 in the race unless some of the front guys have issues. If its a case like today, with good strategy and consistent race-pace, i think that even P5 is possible, considering how close he was to hamilton at the late stage of the race.

Edited by Igorr, 09 October 2011 - 13:14.

#14279 george1981

george1981

• 624 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 13:36

I think MS strong result may have been due to Nico starting at the back meaning that both drivers were on completely different strategies and the team didn't have to compromise one driver over another.

Advertisement

#14280 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 13:52

I think MS strong result may have been due to Nico starting at the back meaning that both drivers were on completely different strategies and the team didn't have to compromise one driver over another.

This help too. They usually compromise MS race for Nico, who as we know usually start ahead. But, with MS recent form he wouldn't have problem to catch and pass Nico in the race. In Singapore MS was just one driver away to do this.

#14281 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,069 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 13:58

What the BBC commentators mentioned in the race when Schumacher was leading it, he was the oldest one (of all time?) to be ahead of the rest since Jack Brabham in 196x? Can someone elaborate?

#14282 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 637 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 14:11

I see that Brabham won a race in 1970, aged 43 and 339 days.

#14283 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 14:11

Posted Image

#14284 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,421 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 14:36

Well, I just don't like, never liked, the way VresiBerba is treating Schumacher's way of driving or legacy for that matter or his comeback, but that doesn't mean whatever he's saying should be interpreted as trolling or bashing. I kind of agree with him in that Schumacher didn't do "what a start", but a good one. Not bad, not particularly great as opposed to starts he made this year, but a respectable one. He was right there with Webber, nearly overtook him. Nice effort.

Agree entirely. Sometimes its hard to separate a posters attitude/history from the fact they have a point. The start was fine, not the best of the season. It doesn't do to get bogged down in semantics like that, the bickering just clutters the place up.

I agree with the rest of your post too. Schumi is now in tune with this formula and showed he understands what he needs to do to get the best race performance from the car. I actually think he is improving and can get better than he is at the moment.

#14285 Rol

Rol

• 114 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 15:09

Brilliant drive from Michael, 10/10 for me!
P6 is great, having a bit of luck with the SC and none of it at the start :cool:

I think his start was perfect. Taking the outside line was the best decision and he was already ahead of Webber, which would have given him P6 at turn 2. It was only the Ferraris which ruined these tactics, since the one on the outside at turn 1 got behind at the inside of turn 2, and thus Michael had to back off before Webber. Bad luck here, but anyway Michael managed it beautifully, taking all the risks that made sense, but not more this time.

His 3rd stint of softs was also great, nicely taking care of tyres to gain P6 from Massa. Obviously he was lucky to have Rosberg holding up Hamilton and Massa, but this needed also a Schumi at his best, taking 1,5 secs/lap of them. If only Rosberg could defend position one more lap, Schumi have had a good chance of taking P5 from Hamilton.

Michael is clearly back to the form he once had. :cool: I am not so sure about Mercedes, it still seems to be a clear No4, and not quite getting closer in lap times to the top teams. What they seemed to have changed is to put Micheal on a set-up that makes him super fast in overtaking zones. They probably compromise qualifying and race lap times, but that way the have a good chance of keeping gained positions at starts and SC periods. Looks like in spite of DRS, overtaking Michael in a Mercedes is not a piece of cake like it used to be in the beginning of the year. So I bet Mercedes race tactics is improving, but overall the car is only slightly improving, I do not know how much the general speed can be improved for the 2012 car. How much difference will Costa, Willis and all the new recruits make? Anyway Michael's enormous work surely deserves a championship contending car.

#14286 Paco

Paco

• 1,031 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 18:13

Could be. I know this isn't the thread for NR but I think it would be a mistake to go to Ferrari. McLaren are happy with their current lineup, Webber stays for 2012 at RBR.

:p

Hamilton beginning to look a bit like Vilenueve.

how so??? McLaren are still a tier 1 team. Williams was on old Meca engine and then he left to form his own team.. 1x champion is about the only comparison to be had.

#14287 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 20:09

how so??? McLaren are still a tier 1 team. Williams was on old Meca engine and then he left to form his own team.. 1x champion is about the only comparison to be had.

Just an impression, I think there's parallels to be found. Both enormously talented and exploded into the sport, quickly polarized the fanbase (hype or not), then somehow began to fade away for a number of reasons that were not always out of their control. More importantly I think Hamilton's beginning to lose his position and popularity within McLaren with Button's arrival, something that I honestly think did happen with JV at BAR. (especially after they took Panis onboard) Also get the feeling Hamilton's about to take a serious decision that could ruin his career (like moving to RBR on a spur, say if the McLaren-LH relationship sours further or, conversely, sticking with McL even if their fortunes tumble in the years to come) Too much speculation but just a gut feeling, that's all.

I think 2011 was just a blip for Hamilton, though, I'm sure he'll be back in form next year. Anyway, wrong thread, sorry for the OT.

#14288 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 22:49

Posted Image

Tell me what troubles you Grasshopper..

#14289 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,148 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 22:52

Tell me what troubles you Grasshopper..

In Japan this gesture means only one thing, namely, NO!

#14290 HaPe

HaPe

• 1,013 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 23:11

Ridiculous. :rotfl:

He startet 8th ...and challenged Webber who started 6th(!!) into the first corner.
Can't call that anything but a very good start

#14291 exmayol

exmayol

• 547 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 00:00

Now with MS clearly getting on top of his game I hope the next MGP car will at least shorten the gap to the leaders. Podiums and possibly wins will come naturally then.

#14292 BiH

BiH

• 2,280 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 00:47

schumacher is definitely on his game again

don't know if everyone has onboard channel highlights available but

when schumacher was leading the race and there was onboard with button as he caught up with schumacher

going into hairpin button was right on schumacher rear wing, jenson attempted to go deeper under braking and cut on inside to use the fresher tyres traction like everyone was doing all race

but wise schumacher knew what button had in mind positioned his car and prevented inside line of hairpin

Edited by BiH, 10 October 2011 - 00:48.

#14293 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,484 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:12

Yes, he's definitely looking very good these days. Good for him. I'd love to see him back on the podium. Hope MGP can give him a decent car soon because he's not getting any younger. It would be great if he could take the fight to the big three teams.

#14294 teejay

teejay

• 3,333 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:22

Im liking MS v2 - still fighting, still got skill. Good to see him lead a race.

#14295 Igorr

Igorr

• 219 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:29

Since Spa Michael has a great pace, so this is not a one time thing. I am very hopeful of next year, that MGP will produce a better car. Imagine Nico and Michael mixing in the top 3 teams, it'll be an epic season.

#14296 salamin

salamin

• 1,692 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:49

MS the oldest driver to lead a race since 1970

#14297 GoRacing

GoRacing

• 291 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:49

Korea is going to be an even bigger exercise in tyre management with SS and softs. Pirelli is expecting SS to degrade very quickly and have openly said they would like teams to run much of their races on softs. This could be the race where even top teams in Q3 could choose to do their qualifying on the softs. I fully expect MS to do this.

#14298 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:39

MS the oldest driver to lead a race since 1970

Watch out for the next season. He will beat this record every race. I hope.

#14299 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:59

Button: SU SU (10) SU (20) MN (36) 3
Alonso: SU SU (10) SU (21) MN (37) 3
Vettel: SU SU (9) SU (19) MN (33) 3
Webber: SU SU (10) SU (19) MN (34) 3
Hamilton: SU SU (8) SU (21) MN (35) 3
Schumacher: SU SU (9) SN (24) MN (41) 3
Massa: SU SU (11) SU (22) MN (36)
Sutil: SU SN (8) SU (23) MN (37) 3
Di Resta: SU SN (10) SU (24) MN (35)
Barrichello: SU SU (12) SN (24) MN (37) 3
Kovalainen: SN SU (10) SU (22) MN (37) 3
Trulli: SN SU (11) SU (24) MN (38) 3
Glock: SN SU (12) SU (19) MN (36) 3
D’Ambrosio: SN SU (13) SU (23) MN (37) 3
Ricciardo: SN SU (11) SU (22) MN (38)

It is strange how MS managed to use the soft tyres longer than anyone ahead of him. His second pitstop was forced by safety car. Or it come in the best moment for MS? I don't think it was only because of having one new set and one only two laps old set.

Edited by ivand911, 10 October 2011 - 13:06.

Advertisement

#14300 sharo

sharo

• 1,751 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 13:02

He had to. There was a comment here that the mechanics forgot to tune the angle of his front wing.