Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:33

Excellent race! Just what I was hoping for a few pages back. :p

Advertisement

#15052 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,107 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:34

I think Petrov rob us in Korea from the same result. MS was around 7 sec behind Nico ,and we know how Nico pace drop in the end. 100% Michael would finish ahead of Nico there.

Undoubtedly, but Michael has lost more points with needless collisions of his own making with such midfield racers.

#15053 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,322 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:40

What was the BBC herd's reaction about Schumi's race? :)

#15054 baddog

baddog

• 24,016 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:44

Undoubtedly, but Michael has lost more points with needless collisions of his own making with such midfield racers.

He has also lost more from mechanicals and team errors by a very long way. On race performance he is a chunk of points ahead over the year. This stuff isnt going to carry on saving Nico's ass, and neither is qualy woes. If the next two races carry on the trend then well..

#15055 sharo

sharo

• 1,792 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:45

I think Petrov rob us in Korea from the same result. MS was around 7 sec behind Nico ,and we know how Nico pace drop in the end. 100% Michael would finish ahead of Nico there.

The trend is seen also in Singapore, only it was Michael who lost through his own fault. But as long as this is not a crucial championship fight, I'm glad he's coming to grips with the car in the races more and more.
Don't forget that we are speaking about a car which is best of the rest but quite limited in comparison to the leaders.

#15056 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:45

MS was clearly faster today, and NR needs to watch what he is saying in the media (while chuckling)

Wasn't faster, would be silly for anyone to say he is but MS clearly packaged the race better though and a faster race time is what counts, not lap times.

Please Mercedes it's time to deliver a competitive car.

Wow, I bet they didn't think of that, I'll pass your suggestion on immediately...

Edited by cheapracer, 30 October 2011 - 12:47.

#15057 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 9,584 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:46

Why does he suck in qualifying? With his rocket starts, he could muscle his way past the top six and cause havoc and some good racing. As it is, he is using them just to recover the ground to the point he should have already been at.

Despite him holding the record of Pole Positions, I do not think he ever was a true qualifying driver, the current tire rules mandate that you do not wring your tires during qualifying, and he is not able to make the best of qualifying as it currently works. Were he able to take a set of tires and pound laps for Q1, Q2 and Q3 then start the race with a new fresh set of the compound he used in Q3, he would be closer to Nico. I am not sure that he would be dominant, since I actually think highly of Nico, however it would be a more even performance.

Once the race starts he has race craft as good as anyone out there, and he continue to make good starts, which negate the 'poor' qualifying.

:cool:

#15058 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:50

The trend is seen also in Singapore, only it was Michael who lost through his own fault. But as long as this is not a crucial championship fight, I'm glad he's coming to grips with the car in the races more and more.
Don't forget that we are speaking about a car which is best of the rest but quite limited in comparison to the leaders.

Yeah, Singapore was the same thing like Korea. MS was one car behind Nico(2-3 sec). He then make mistake, but trend is well seen.

#15059 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:54

MSC is driving much better but lets be honest the timing of Rosenberg's pits stop gifted the Position to Schumacher ----- Mercedes PR at work ? I can't help but think Mercedes should have Di Resta in the old man's seat.

Advertisement

#15060 umapathypon

umapathypon

• 2,739 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:58

MSC is driving much better but lets be honest the timing of Rosenberg's pits stop gifted the Position to Schumacher ----- Mercedes PR at work ? I can't help but think Mercedes should have Di Resta in the old man's seat.

By the time Rosberg pitted, his lead was down to either 2.3 or 1.6s(i dont remember exactly) and was going down with each lap. He had to pit and he had to take on the harder tyres for the last stint which were slower to start with and Michael went even faster in the next few laps and that was it. Pretty simple really.

#15061 sanW10

sanW10

• 134 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 13:00

This explains MS :cool:
Posted Image

great race, again.

#15062 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 13:09

interesting game.... love to know what makes people think di resta can do any better.. is he beating his team mate in races yet?

Edited by arknor, 30 October 2011 - 13:10.

#15063 baddog

baddog

• 24,016 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 13:11

And who should take the slower driver's seat in that case?

#15064 salamin

salamin

• 1,692 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 13:13

Brawn "Nico's 2nd set of tyres were degrading quicker, while MS was able to keep on going to get 5th "

Haug: "MS's start, and his constant 2nd stint made it possible to finish ahead of NR"

#15065 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,322 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 13:29

:down:

di Resta is highly overrated

Edited by Tarzaan, 30 October 2011 - 13:29.

#15066 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 13:32

"At the start, everything worked out according to my strategy as I deliberately didn't want to use KERS in the first two corners and save it for the long straight where I knew that I could make up some positions.
""

He da man! :up:

#15067 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 13:45

MS deserve 10/10 from Autosport and AMuS. Driver of the race.

Edited by ivand911, 30 October 2011 - 13:46.

#15068 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,705 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 13:53

Yep a 3 times WDC, now with the insight thing, care to point me to a quote of respect from a 3 times WDC to a 7 times WDC?

There is no such quote to find, Stewart is a biased prick who, like Moss, has never let up on Schumacher since Adelaide '94 (which is ridiculous considering Damon himself has gotten past it) and and no other way in life to get the attention he so desperately seeks and a sad thing to see for one of the greatest drivers ever and IMO the greatest British driver ever.

Compare his recent comments on Schumacher and then on Hamilton to see the glaring difference.

This took less than 30 seconds to find.

Stop being so sensitive sweetie :kiss:

http://www.thefreeli...ant.-a076544900

'He will rewrite the record books,' said the three-time former champion.

'He is driving for the best team in Formula One right now as they have been proving with their reliability, their speed and their technology.

'If you are doing that then you are going to win race after race after race if you are of the talent that Michael Schumacher is. He is the most talented grand prix driver in the world.

'Some drivers will say that's not true and given that car I could do x, y and z but I don't think that is true. I think he is the best.

#15069 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,705 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 14:05

Oh, c'mon, Sir Jackie is a giant prick, he is when he is right, and he still is when he is wrong, who the hell cares a what he says?? It is quite clear MS has problems, but Stewart? Meh.

He has a strong opinion about intimidatory driving styles which is totally understandable given how many of his friends he buried due to accidents on a race track. MS has a habit of falling back on these tactics throughout his career so he tends to get critisised by Stewart. It clearly isn't personal as I've heard JYS praise the guy more often than critisise him.

#15070 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 3,043 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 14:29

Undoubtedly, he would be further ahead and it would cement that he has outperformed Nico in the races. In the races he was out he was catching Rosberg in a lot of them. I tend to think that the race pace emerges after the first stop. When the fuel load drops he tends to get alot quicker.

Qualifying is hurting him because he can't get the tyres up to temp/get the best performance out of them over 1 lap. It is a science, there is a specific amount of energy that you need to put through them to get the best out of them but its a matter of trial and error without the benefit of testing.

Edited by F1Champion, 30 October 2011 - 14:31.

#15071 repeatoffender

repeatoffender

• 81 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 14:29

Yeah the trolls have started, Frankly none cares about NR he is just the other driver which can be replaced by anyone.

Yeah Paul Di Resta(another Brit hype) can have MS's toilet seat!

Btw you can see the other Brit hype(LH) spiraling down race after race.

#15072 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,302 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 14:30

Good race from Schumi, and proof that bad Qualifying position does not equal bad race performance. :up:

#15073 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 14:30

Well, I suppose Di Resta may as well be shown up by Rosberg as Sutil.

Edited by Group B, 30 October 2011 - 14:31.

#15074 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 759 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 15:18

Another superior performance with inferior equipment!

#15075 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,322 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 16:26

Any on board of his first lap? :)

Edited by Tarzaan, 30 October 2011 - 16:26.

#15076 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 18:19

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by ivand911, 30 October 2011 - 18:33.

#15077 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,322 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 18:45

As I wrote in the versus thread Schumacher is the only driver in this season who can finish in the Top5 (except the big 3's drivers). MS did it four times.

#15078 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 18:49

As I wrote in the versus thread Schumacher is the only driver in this season who can finish in the Top5 (except the big 3's drivers). MS did it four times.

true, he delivered the peak results this year.
to finish ahead of Nico in the standings, a wet weekend/race in interlagos is necessary I believe, otherwise his 8th place in the standings is pretty much confirmed.

#15079 Scotracer

Scotracer

• 2,811 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 18:52

What about Nico in China?

Advertisement

#15080 exmayol

exmayol

• 556 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 18:54

to finish ahead of Nico in the standings, a wet weekend/race in interlagos is necessary I believe, otherwise his 8th place in the standings is pretty much confirmed.

Even if MS does not score more points than NS in the end I don't think any reasonable MS fan would really be upset about it given the DNF numbers and the thrend of MS race performances this year compared to NR.

#15081 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,475 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 19:02

Well, with all due respect to the great guy, Nico also finished in 5th in China and Turkey.

However, to put your argument into perspective, Michael also managed to take the 4th spot in Canada, which was very respectable as well.

All in all, Shumacher seems to be on top of tyre issues this year. Performances of Rosberg and Scumacher are not lights years different from each other, but a few things here and there made all the difference. Last year, it was Nico and this year it is Michael. I wonder what if Michael can sort the one-lap problem out, he may well increase that small advantage to Rosberg.

He learned how to treat tyres and he learnt how to use them. Today's performance from 11th on the grid to 5th is remarkable. Well done.

#15082 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,322 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 19:08

What about Nico in China?

That was a P6 wasn't?

Edit:

Wasn't.

Edited by Tarzaan, 30 October 2011 - 19:10.

#15083 Sof1

Sof1

• 611 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 19:12

On board Schumi race start, anyone????

Edited by Sof1, 30 October 2011 - 19:12.

#15084 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 759 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 21:44

Posted Image

thanks for sharing!

#15085 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 738 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 22:20

On board Schumi race start, anyone????

I too would love to see this, anyone?

#15086 holiday

holiday

• 3,473 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 22:48

Flashback to Monza 2011: Just for the sake of completeness, but has the news yet reached you that LH only managed to pass MS finally, because the latter pushed accidentally the revert limiter for a brief moment when he wanted to go on the radio instead. MS said so much in a passing comment after the race, but it has since received little attention.

Edited by holiday, 30 October 2011 - 22:49.

#15087 Jomyboy

Jomyboy

• 179 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:50

There is a new theory to ponder on. This year the Mercedes has the smallest chassis of all the teams. Ross has said that next year they are gonna make the car longer. He had said that by making it longer they are gonna have more setup options. I think the small chassis is what is hurting Schumacher in qualifying. Last year, he was saying that he wanted the car pointy, etc but because of the smaller chassis they were not able to dial the car to the optimum. It seemed that after a point, instead of the car getting more pointy it actually became even worse. It also explains what schumacher is saying "the more he pushes the worse it gets." So maybe Schumacher is not really able to get the maximum while qualifying whereas race distance you are never on the limit but just pacing yourself. Maybe next year, we will have a better idea of what really is going on with Schumacher's qualifying issues. There is no doubt that there is a marked improvement in race pace this year. The thing is during qualifying, for the past 2 years he just is not looking at his best. I think he has lost a lot of confidence now. He doesnt seem free flowing and on the edge - looks more like he is on tenter-hooks. Hope they can sort out those issues for next year and maybe Alonso might not be wrong at all. Schumacher would be the opponent everyone would be vary of!!

#15088 hero

hero

• 99 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:06

There is a new theory to ponder on. This year the Mercedes has the smallest chassis of all the teams. Ross has said that next year they are gonna make the car longer. He had said that by making it longer they are gonna have more setup options. I think the small chassis is what is hurting Schumacher in qualifying. Last year, he was saying that he wanted the car pointy, etc but because of the smaller chassis they were not able to dial the car to the optimum. It seemed that after a point, instead of the car getting more pointy it actually became even worse. It also explains what schumacher is saying "the more he pushes the worse it gets." So maybe Schumacher is not really able to get the maximum while qualifying whereas race distance you are never on the limit but just pacing yourself. Maybe next year, we will have a better idea of what really is going on with Schumacher's qualifying issues. There is no doubt that there is a marked improvement in race pace this year. The thing is during qualifying, for the past 2 years he just is not looking at his best. I think he has lost a lot of confidence now. He doesnt seem free flowing and on the edge - looks more like he is on tenter-hooks. Hope they can sort out those issues for next year and maybe Alonso might not be wrong at all. Schumacher would be the opponent everyone would be vary of!!

Im pretty sure the chassis was extended last season after a few races, when this problem was identified, and it is not an issue with this years car at all. The team would have fixed that problem with this years car logically. There is no need for fancy theories and excuses. Michael has lot his speed, and feel and now over drives in qualifying, while in race trim he drives smoother, which is why he does not lose as much speed to rosberg.

#15089 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 7,427 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:15

I too would love to see this, anyone?

It'll be the same as all the other great ones he's done this year: Nails the lights, feeds in the clutch perfectly, whilst balancing the wheelspin through each phase of the launch. All this is done amidst a flurry of action between other cars, Michael navigating his way through carefully and with consumate ease.

The way Michael puts his starts, and the whole race as well, together suggests to me that it is inherent flaws in the car that are weighted against him in qualifying, but in a race with more variables to manage, he shines. I've loved tracking Michael's race progress through the last 2/3rds of this season, he's just been magic at times.

#15090 Wettham

Wettham

• 11 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:31

Schumi must have made up at least 25 places in the first lap from Canada on? What a legend he is! A real shame not more coverage is given to mercedes by the BBC. The battle between nico and schumi is the closest of the top driver pairing. So close! Mercedes are definitely on the up as they have maximised the car they have and surely with the crew they have onboard can only be better next year. The team have shown the ability to get the most from their equipment, both drivers are top drawer and £££,s to spend. Good times ahead! Go schumi!

#15091 Jomyboy

Jomyboy

• 179 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:43

Im pretty sure the chassis was extended last season after a few races, when this problem was identified, and it is not an issue with this years car at all. The team would have fixed that problem with this years car logically. There is no need for fancy theories and excuses. Michael has lot his speed, and feel and now over drives in qualifying, while in race trim he drives smoother, which is why he does not lose as much speed to rosberg.

Erm Ross has said this year that they are going to make the car longer for next year to give them more setup options.

#15092 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,336 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:51

I have to say, i am long time Schumacher fan, since the beginning through the highs and lows and i have to say that i am extremely impressed with Schumi this year, honestly, if he had not had these DNF and bad luck in races at the beginning, he would be right up there, i think we are seeing something here with Schumacher that we see with Seb at the front, both are at the maximum. Schumacher definitely still has "it"

#15093 Richardc

Richardc

• 235 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:01

Agreed. He's been very, very good this season. The points don't show it, but if Rosberg is an above average driver (most believe he is the level of button?) schumacher is now driving at a level above where it counts, and with overtaking this year the problems he is having with qualifying have been almost nulified. I don't believe that Rosberg isn't pushing as hard, as he seems so uptight about ever being behind Michael. Let's just hope for a better car next year!

#15094 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:04

MGP car have shortest chassis this year. I didn't hear that they did something to increase wheelbase length. Last year they also have short chassis, and they change front suspension to increase wheelbase length. But, I didn't hear about such thing this year. And , yeah, short chassis is a issue. It destroy this year season.
If MS didn't have all this crashes and DNF he could be around Massa now. He lost maybe 14 points in Korea and Singapore only.

Edited by ivand911, 31 October 2011 - 10:11.

#15095 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:26

Schumacher just chasing down the 10 points as he has been doing his entire career.

Someone should inform him of the changed points system. :smoking:

#15096 BRK

BRK

• 3,653 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 15:15

Yesterday was a Schumacher Spectacular. Solid, solid drive, quali was a disappointment but he was visibly pushing harder than most others at a few turns. Managed his tyres wonderfully in the race, the entire circuit erupted when he came out ahead of Rosberg after the last stops, which sadly never translates to TV. Very, very pleased about the kind of support for the legend that turned up for the race. :up:

#15097 schubacca

schubacca

• 800 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 16:42

MS is driving splendidly.

If only he can sort out qualifying.....

The amazing thing is that he is getting better..... The silver lining with the Merc not being a top car is that their is little consequence to MS's slow climb back to competitiveness....

#15098 Afterburner

Afterburner

• 4,204 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 16:48

Considering how well practice and quali went, the race was very pleasing.

#15099 plastik2k9

plastik2k9

• 509 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 16:48

Certainly would like to see Mercedes right up there with a race winning car next season, if only to see Schumacher fighting where he belongs in my opinion. Driving for Mercedes has made me respect him far more than I ever did, but to see him fight for another championship at his age would hopefully leave many of his critics re-thinking things. I have no doubt he's fully capable of it.

Advertisement

#15100 dav115

dav115

• 722 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 16:51

Still no onboard start? There are usually people who record it on the dedicated feed he has in Germany, but I can't find any vids :( .